Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172379 times)

Izybat

• Stubble
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #550 on: March 08, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
I just finished C210k week 5 day 2. It actually felt much easier than I was expecting, in large part because I caved and nudged the speed on the treadmill down a bit. I hate that it feels like failure when I have to decrease the speed, but it felt like winning when I could do the whole run without too much trouble. Lesson learned I guess.

Good for you. I don't know your running history etc. but I generally believe that people try to push the speed too much when they first get into running. It takes maturity to reduce speed, sacrificing short-term ego for the long-term goal. Nice!

My running history is that I'm a slow poke. I always wish I was a faster runner than I am, but since I'm already kinda pokey, going slower just feels sad. But either way, I did it, and it felt good.

Also (cross post warning), I just registered for a half marathon in October.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #551 on: March 08, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
woohoo!

I get to put all of my strength training to use tonight! Had a big ass tree fall over in my yard over the weekend and tonight will be the first time I'm home before dark to get started on it. Got my chain saw sharpened and am hooked onto the car trailer. If anybody is within 45 minutes of me I will have FREE dead lifts and loaded carries at my place starting at 4:30! I'll even provide some post workout "recovery drinks"

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #552 on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
In honor of International Women's Day (also my bday), I did deadlifts and pull ups today. It just felt right =)

woohoo!

I get to put all of my strength training to use tonight! Had a big ass tree fall over in my yard over the weekend and tonight will be the first time I'm home before dark to get started on it. Got my chain saw sharpened and am hooked onto the car trailer. If anybody is within 45 minutes of me I will have FREE dead lifts and loaded carries at my place starting at 4:30! I'll even provide some post workout "recovery drinks"

DH will be so sad we don't live nearby. He's all about the type 2 fun. That would be his perfect day, right there.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #553 on: March 08, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »
woohoo!

Awesome, nice one! I had an "aha this shit actually is useful in the real world" moment last summer when I had to move and literally everyone I knew who could help was unavailable and my wife was (very) pregnant so also not too able-bodied. After 10 hours of lifting, carrying, loading, and unloading heavy and awkward pieces of furniture (ask me how fun it is to move a sectional couch solo!), boxes, rugs, etc., I was exhausted but also feeling like a boss. It's fun to see the fruits of strength gains beyond the numbers on the bar going up. Keep on keepin on!

In honor of International Women's Day (also my bday), I did deadlifts and pull ups today. It just felt right =)

Badass!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #554 on: March 08, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »
Lagom, I think it's funny- our gym also had a 9 month break even time frame... but that was with wood stands and the barbell being a birthday present! Haha. But our gym fees were only $20/mon for each of us.

Your gym looks great though. That'll be our eventual goal setup!

You realize that everyone here is going to be super disappointed if you don't get a sign that says "YES!" right?

Agreed...without the real "YES!" sign you're squating in a house of lies (which just doesn't sound right). 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
I just got an excellent free personal training session from a colleague. :)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #556 on: March 12, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
woohoo!

Awesome, nice one! I had an "aha this shit actually is useful in the real world" moment last summer when I had to move and literally everyone I knew who could help was unavailable and my wife was (very) pregnant so also not too able-bodied. After 10 hours of lifting, carrying, loading, and unloading heavy and awkward pieces of furniture (ask me how fun it is to move a sectional couch solo!), boxes, rugs, etc., I was exhausted but also feeling like a boss. It's fun to see the fruits of strength gains beyond the numbers on the bar going up. Keep on keepin on!

Badass!

Sectionals are  no fun to move even with a team of horses let alone by yourself. I moved our old one down stairs by myself with gravity's help. The log splitting and hauling off went great. I ended up getting a friend who has a loader come over and help dig the stump up. Then we split the wood and hauled it off with the loader too. It makes unloading really easy. some of the big stumps we didn't bother splitting and just rolled them into the bucket. some of these were close to 40 inches in diameter and still full of water. I didn't have any problem flipping these into the bucket.

I am also amazed at how fast I recovered. Last night I was TOAST. I sat on the couch and nursed a whiskey drink thinking about how sore I would be the next day. I feel great this morning no soreness at all. I was a little tight in the lower back this morning, but a little mobility before my squat workout cleared that up. Squats felt great today hit a rep max of 260 and powered through my 5 x 10 sets probably faster than I have since I started following this program. Now if I can just figure out how to keep my knees from caving in when my squats get heavy I'll be in good shape. I always call it when this happens even though the weight still feels fairly light.

And keep kicking ass bracken joy

jordanread

« Reply #557 on: March 13, 2017, 06:56:23 AM »

Goals:
  • Lose 20lbs (bonus points if by Memorial Day)
  • Complete all the OCR's I'm signed up for without dying . Currently signed up for 7 races for a combined 32 miles. Will probably signed up for 2-3 more for another 7-10 miles
  • Get stronger. I want visible muscles. I'm starting with pushups in January because I feel my arms are my weakest point
  • Run a sub-30 minute 5k. Despite how the second point looks I am NOT a runner. Currently I "run" about the same speed I walk so a 5k takes about 45 minutes
  • Log more steps in 2017 than I did in 2016. According to my Fitbit I did 3,267,297 steps in 2016
One of the ways I'm prepping for my OCRs is by signing up for trail runs. I did a 4 miler in November, a pretty weak 5k in February, and had a 10k Saturday. Well, my 10k accidentally turned into 10 miles when I ended up on one of the extra loops intended for half-marathoners. Until this weekend the furthest I had run was the 4 miler in November and I guestimate I only ran 2.5-3 miles of that one while I'm pretty confident I ran at least 8 of the miles this weekend. My legs are quite sore but I survived

Badass!

"I accidentally ran 10 miles. Oops. Still, pretty cool." - Mustachian People Problem of the day

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #558 on: March 17, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »
I'm really happy today. I almost let a mild cough (thanks husband!) stop me from doing my run today. Instead I decided to try it anyway and see how it went. Well, 22 minutes of running, no walk breaks. C210k Week 6 day 3 done! That's the longest I've run in over a year, closer to two.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #559 on: March 17, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
I'm really happy today. I almost let a mild cough (thanks husband!) stop me from doing my run today. Instead I decided to try it anyway and see how it went. Well, 22 minutes of running, no walk breaks. C210k Week 6 day 3 done! That's the longest I've run in over a year, closer to two.

Can you link your program? I'm just really surprised, my C25k seems to be the same program. I just ran 25min no breaks for week 6 run 3. Does it just take the C25k then add some weeks?

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »

Can you link your program? I'm just really surprised, my C25k seems to be the same program. I just ran 25min no breaks for week 6 run 3. Does it just take the C25k then add some weeks?

I use the app put out by Zen Labs (on android). To answer your question, yes, it takes C25K and just keeps going. The first 8 weeks are identical. The 10k app is 14 weeks long.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #561 on: March 17, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »

I use the app put out by Zen Labs (on android). To answer your question, yes, it takes C25K and just keeps going. The first 8 weeks are identical. The 10k app is 14 weeks long.

Ah, okay! That makes so much more sense =P I was like, wow, these are super similar! =P

I'll look into the 10k when I finish the C25k, it really hasn't been bad.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #562 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:14 AM »
Lagom, I think it's funny- our gym also had a 9 month break even time frame... but that was with wood stands and the barbell being a birthday present! Haha. But our gym fees were only $20/mon for each of us.

Your gym looks great though. That'll be our eventual goal setup!

You realize that everyone here is going to be super disappointed if you don't get a sign that says "YES!" right?

Haha, fair. I need to embrace my inner arts and crafts maven (assuming I have one of those...?) and make one! Or, you know, have DH print one out for me =P That's a totally reasonable use of a big work plotter, right!?

Arg, I totally spaced. I was going to make a YES sign before I posted pics, just for you guys! ;)

@Bracken, I was seriously impressed by your squat setup. Thought about trying to make my own, but ultimately decided since I'm going to be squatting 400+lbs with no spotter I really needed a power cage for safety. Same for bench. Plus the combo deal I found was too good to pass up. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Mustachians are welcome to drop by to lift any time :)

If I ever make it to SF I'll get in a squat sessh with you. I currently lift about 1x a week with a group of people who have a squat cage built in their basement. It's sweet.

I went on vacation and didn't log onto MMM much. Nothing has really changed except I do have my sights set on entering a bench only powerlifting meet in August. My training is the same currently though. I will start ramping up the weights in April.

Thinking about doing Smolov Junior for bench leading up to the contest, if I do indeed enter. I've done it before with a lot of success: http://www.smolovjr.com/smolov-squat-program/

Anyone else done smolov or smolov jr?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #563 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »
I took my students on a service trip for spring break. It was a construction trip in which we did a lot of digging (digging dirt out a crawl space to get to the floor joists), carrying (buckets of dirt and a lot of lumber to replace said floor joists), and general construction type things. Going in, I knew I was in good cardio/endurance shape, but I never realized I have pretty decent functional strength to go with it. I mostly worked circles around my much (ahem) younger students and really wasn't sore after any of the work (maybe I didn't work hard enough!)

Back to running this week. The doc gave me the go ahead as long as I didn't re-injure myself last week. Overall, my back and hip feel pretty good (I took almost two weeks off pre-trip). So I'll give it a couple shorter, easy runs this week to test the waters.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #564 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
I took my students on a service trip for spring break. It was a construction trip in which we did a lot of digging (digging dirt out a crawl space to get to the floor joists), carrying (buckets of dirt and a lot of lumber to replace said floor joists), and general construction type things. Going in, I knew I was in good cardio/endurance shape, but I never realized I have pretty decent functional strength to go with it. I mostly worked circles around my much (ahem) younger students and really wasn't sore after any of the work (maybe I didn't work hard enough!)

Back to running this week. The doc gave me the go ahead as long as I didn't re-injure myself last week. Overall, my back and hip feel pretty good (I took almost two weeks off pre-trip). So I'll give it a couple shorter, easy runs this week to test the waters.

In my circle of friends it seems like somebody is always doing some sort of construction. Since getting back into working out regularly I've noticed I'm able to pretty much work circles around everybody. I was before too I would jus be sore the next day. One of the guys is 22 years old I think and he gets wore out first. It's a little sad. I've offered to let him strength train with me to help him out but he doesn't see it as a problem. Even though his 50 ish year old dad is working circles around him. to each their own I guess.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #565 on: March 20, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
I realized that I never did an update on my knee! Happy to report that it's back to being good. Although now that I'm more aware of how weak it is, I definitely am hesitant to push it too hard- I'm definitely hypervigilant during lifts and runs. But if that's what it takes, that's fine. Now that it's had some time to cool down while I 'just' run and do basic form work, I'm going to move into unilateral strength work.

It's always awesome to realize that your fitness gains translate to REAL gains. Definitely an awesome moment- this shit really works! =D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #566 on: March 25, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
Been away from forum for a while...big move coming up and massive amounts of time catching up on work crap unfortunately.

February was on track with 10 strength training sessions (same as January) and following sleep rules most of the time.  Progressed to "rings wide pushups" in the Reddit recommended routine:  https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/exercises/pushup

March has fallen apart a bit as noted...on target for maybe 5 training sessions and have been working late too much :(

The move is a 3 month Temp Expat in Tokyo--I've loved my 3 shorter trips, but a bit more work going into preparing for 3 months.  Head out next week and will be busy, but hoping to keep up fitness in some ways.

Tentative plan: (no need to update the goals, I'm still targeting essentially the same, just doing a few different things).
  • Walk to/from work everyday (looks like 20-25 min walk).
  • Take stairs (work is on 16th floor and in June moves to new building on 35th).  Not positive what floor my place is on.  I'd like to work in some stair sprints as a part of this
  • Work out at Hibiya park 2x a week. I can't (and likely shouldn't) do any of this crazy stuff, but pullups bars, rings, dips, etc looks available:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0og5P_QkFOw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv8wXqKpcxg
  • I booked 1st 3 weekends with sightseeing so lots more walking.

We'll see how working out fits into my days there...it may lag either from jet-lag/work or from sightseeing--which will at least will include lots of walking, which is one of the best things to do anyways.  I've always liked this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

Presently procrastinating about working out today and test packing for the trip.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #567 on: March 25, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »
Hi, my name is longwaytogo and I failed epically in all of my 2016 fitness goals. At first due to just laziness and not prioritizing; and then due to a major injury/surgery I obtained while mountain biking very fast down a hill :/

Luckliy my helmet cracked saving me from any brain injuries but I did manage to break my collar bone. The let it heal in the sling method was failing so after 4 weeks I had surgery to add a plate and some screws. So between that failed 4 weeks and then 4 more weeks after of being in the sling I lost a LOT of muscle and flexibility. Like so much that push-ups are painful/difficult and I can't even think about a pull-up.

2017 Goals:

-Complete a set of 10 pull-ups

Awwwww yeah, first pull up today since breaking Collar bone in August!!! Joining the gym over the winter for 3 months was a huge help. Took my lat pull from 100 pounds to 180 over the 3 months and my membership just ended last week. Figured if I was hitting 180 for 6-7 reps maybe I could pull my 215 BW one time and sure enough I did,  but could barely start a 2nd one.

Anyone have a good pull up progression plan to get from 1-10 by years end (or sooner) ?

I have other goals too but snipped them out of the quote, I'll post a first qtr update next week.

---------------

Also I don't post in this thread much but read along and everyone is doing great in their progress!!

I'm also really impressed with the breadth of some of you alls knowledge which is whey I proposed the pull up question :)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #568 on: March 25, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
After spending mid November through mid Feb in Asia and Mexico, my training and diet suffered. Been back hitting it hard the last 6 weeks. Today I was able to bench 265x8, which isn't far off my PB of 275x10.

I'm trying to bulk but having a hard time, and I'm trying to eat mostly clean food which is what makes the struggle. My wife isn't in the same boat as me (she's thin, but not bulking) so I'd feel a bit bad eating tons of delicious crap. I started at 196 and am now up to 203. If I could get to 210 or so and maintain that until I cut hard this summer, that'd be ideal. We'll see.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: March 25, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »

Here's my current split:
New workout split
Day 1: Chest/Triceps/Calves
Day 2: Quads/Biceps/Abs
Day 3: Shoulders/Triceps/Calves
Day 4: Back/Hamstrings/Abs

Last year we trained 3 days a week, this year we're shooting for 4. We do a heavy week, light week, then a drop set week, repeat. We used to do standard cardio but trying to incorporate more stuff like kettle ball swings, box jumps, etc.

jordanread

« Reply #570 on: March 25, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
Hi, my name is longwaytogo and I failed epically in all of my 2016 fitness goals. At first due to just laziness and not prioritizing; and then due to a major injury/surgery I obtained while mountain biking very fast down a hill :/

Luckliy my helmet cracked saving me from any brain injuries but I did manage to break my collar bone. The let it heal in the sling method was failing so after 4 weeks I had surgery to add a plate and some screws. So between that failed 4 weeks and then 4 more weeks after of being in the sling I lost a LOT of muscle and flexibility. Like so much that push-ups are painful/difficult and I can't even think about a pull-up.

2017 Goals:

-Complete a set of 10 pull-ups

Awwwww yeah, first pull up today since breaking Collar bone in August!!! Joining the gym over the winter for 3 months was a huge help. Took my lat pull from 100 pounds to 180 over the 3 months and my membership just ended last week. Figured if I was hitting 180 for 6-7 reps maybe I could pull my 215 BW one time and sure enough I did,  but could barely start a 2nd one.

Anyone have a good pull up progression plan to get from 1-10 by years end (or sooner) ?

I have other goals too but snipped them out of the quote, I'll post a first qtr update next week.

---------------

Also I don't post in this thread much but read along and everyone is doing great in their progress!!

I'm also really impressed with the breadth of some of you alls knowledge which is whey I proposed the pull up question :)

LWTG, I am partial to the slow progressions in Convict Conditioning. I will try to find a good image, but essentially, this is it:

Doing a google search for Convict Conditioning Pullup Progression should provide additional resources. Also, based on 2300's comment earlier, and the fact I didn't know that r/bodyweightfitness had a wiki, I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/exercises/pullup
Haven't looked at it in depth though. Glad your collar bone is feeling better.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #571 on: March 26, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
Well, I missed my running goals last week due to a cold that kicked my ass. However, I started again today. C210k week 7 day 1 is done. Not as pretty as I would have liked, and with more walking than I would have liked, but since I'm still recovering from being sick, I'll take it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: March 26, 2017, 02:40:56 PM »
Ran 10k on a treadmill last week - took it slow at 60 minutes, the point was to complete it not complete it quickly.

I've also signed up for a half marathon in September which I hope to do in under 2 hours.

Lot of training to do between then and now.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #573 on: March 26, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
Ran 10k on a treadmill last week - took it slow at 60 minutes, the point was to complete it not complete it quickly.

I've also signed up for a half marathon in September which I hope to do in under 2 hours.

I'm signed up for a half marathon in October. I'm only at around 2 miles at the moment, but I have a plan in my head to get me there. I'm hoping to do a 10, at the end of May.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #574 on: March 26, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »

Took it slow?  Bugger, my only 10K race finished in 59mins something.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #575 on: March 28, 2017, 08:37:54 AM »

LWTG, I am partial to the slow progressions in Convict Conditioning. I will try to find a good image, but essentially, this is it:

Haven't looked at it in depth though. Glad your collar bone is feeling better.

Thanks Jordan!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #576 on: March 28, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
Just a quick update here on building a fitness routine.
I now have the ability to get my kayak to the water, so have been doing that about once a week. I've also started the blogilates 30day beginner calender, I certainly build up a swaet doing those exercises!
Went for a bike ride today, I think I need a cushion!

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #577 on: March 28, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »
Oh hopefully didn't find this too late...Is it too late to join? And if not how do I join?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #578 on: March 28, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
Oh hopefully didn't find this too late...Is it too late to join? And if not how do I join?

Just jump in =) What are your goals, and how are you working toward them? =)

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #579 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
It's never too late to join in. Most people on here post some sort of fitness/health goals, which get added to the first page.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #580 on: March 28, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
I now have the ability to get my kayak to the water, so have been doing that about once a week. I've also started the blogilates 30day beginner calender, I certainly build up a swaet doing those exercises!

No cushion required, just more time on the bike :)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #581 on: March 28, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »
First quarter update:

Lower back PT exercises >= 5x/week
Bike commute >= 26x
Cardio >= 3x/week

I've met my weekly goals for PT and cardio every week but one!  I'm doing less well on the bike commute: today was only day 2 of 26.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #582 on: March 28, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »
After a week off for being sick, I'm once again back at it. Second run of the week, and I ran 25 minutes (2 miles or so, because I'm slow). Hoping to hit my first goal of a 5k next week.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #583 on: March 28, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »

No cushion required, just more time on the bike :)
Cruel. But true.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #584 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
I found a pregnant walking buddy! I think I'm going to talk with her about making our visits a regular thing if we can both make it work.

I am failing miserably at my goals. I need to schedule and book my daily fitness stuff into a calendar so I'm committed to it. I've been going when hubby goes but he's been traveling and on a terrible rotational schedule so he hasn't been going lately either. :/

I know what I need to do, I just need to kick myself in the butt and do it.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #585 on: March 31, 2017, 05:47:12 AM »
Monthly update and progress so far
Update and goals.

Strength wise I worked up to a 3 rep max last week
Military press 135 120 x 5 rep max 140 set on 3-14
Bench press 195 180 x 8 rep max 241 set on 3-18
Squat 240 205 x 8 rep max 260 set on 3-12
Dedlift 310  255 X 12 rep max 358 set on 3-28

I would like to set the goals of
Military press 155
Bench press 225
Squat 315
Deadlift 395

So in 5/3/1 on your last work set you go for an AMRAP and then calculate an estimated one rep max (I have my current PR's bolded above). It doesn't really mean this is your one rep max it is more of a way to judge yourself from workout to workout since the program has you use sub maximal loading. Lifting has been going really well. I just need to get my conditioning going. I'm hoping to have enough time to build a tire sled this weekend to drag around when I don't feel like running.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2017, 10:01:02 AM »
Last day of March. I missed 2 days of activity this month, which I think is probably my sustainable level. There are definitely some "Life Happens" moments in every month, between the occasional long work day, not feeling well, or just needing a day to be a slug.

Shoulder is doing well. I'm still doing PT 1 day per week and have a long list of daily stretches and strengthening exercises. I've spent $800 on copays already, but I might keep up visits through April. Things are much better but there is still some residual crunchiness I want to address.

New goal for April - Do pilates 2x per week. PTs and I have realized part of my issues are related to a weak core. Pilates should address a lot of that for me.

Modified goal for April - Some activity every day, with 2 off days permitted.

jordanread

« Reply #587 on: March 31, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »
Shit. I have to get my quarterly stats done this weekend. Is anyone else doing that?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #588 on: March 31, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
March Goal update:

March was pretty much a fail all around. The back strain/hip bursitis ended up knocking me out of running for three weeks.  And pretty much everything else (note the doc said I could continue to do things that didn't cause me a lot of pain, but I got lazy). Still counting the construction trip as a win. Always nice to be in better shape than you thought. Basically march boils down to 4 runs, 1 swim, and 1 round of yoga. Whomp, whomp.

Starting April with a race tomorrow. It'll be slow and probably uncomfortable given how little I have run, but it'll be nice to see the run club folks again.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #589 on: March 31, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »
January summary:
For my 'daily minimums', I only had 8 days completing all 10. My big downfall is eating fish every other day. I had 27 days where I did 9/10 tasks, and all but 2 of those it was the fish that I didn't get.

For 'do something every day', I batted 100% (although the day I moved furniture could arguably have been skipping, since it really wasn't *that* hard, but hey, it still got me moving). These go above and beyond the daily minumums- ie, the 5 goblet squats in the morning don't count for these, and neither does the short AM yoga flow.
I did 10 days of yoga
I did 7 weight lifting workouts
Nature: Snowshoeing 1x, hike x1, beach walk x1
Local walks: I did 15 walks, all but 2 were more than 1 mile

On to February! Goals:
-Do better with fish (minimum 10 days with all 10 daily minimums)
-Do 20 local walks
-Do another 10 days yoga minimum
-Do 10 weight lifting workouts

February summary:
-Yoga was put on hold because of my knee issues. Luckily, these seem to be resolving! Been focusing on changing running form and working on various PTs- clamshells, arch strengtheners, etc.
-Ran 26.6 miles total. (11 runs)
-Did 11 walks, but with the runs, this adds to more than my goal of 20 local walks- I consider this met!
-Biked 9.8 miles (5 bike rides)
-1 day total 'fail'- I did nothing. Zero. Zilch. First one of the year. Hopefully the only!
-9 days of doing 10/10 daily minimums. 16 days of 9/10. A trip to seattle threw off 3 days of minimums. Mainly the others were due to not doing fish (every other day goal for meeting the minimums).

March goals:
-Go to the yoga classes I bought on groupon, lol. I'm hoping to do 4 real classes in march.
-Continue the couch to 5k program.
-End of month, do either or both: 5k color run with neighbors, local park 5k.
-Goal of 1 bike ride per week
-Runs+Walks >20.

Okay, so March... went well, in many respects, and yet my goals don't reflect that well.
-Go to the yoga classes I bought on groupon, lol. I'm hoping to do 4 real classes in march.
Only made it to one, but I DID activate the groupon and go once, which is the big hurdle for me. (New things = scary, haha)

-Continue the couch to 5k program.
Rocked this one. One run was pushed back because I picked up an extra work shift, but that was all.

-End of month, do either or both: 5k color run with neighbors, local park 5k.
Neither of these happened. Color run never came together with neighbors, and the local park 5k was the day I picked up that work shift. Will plan to do one in April though.

-Goal of 1 bike ride per week
Did not happen. Only 2 bike rides this month. In my defense, it rained a LOT.

-Runs+Walks >20.

So close... 19 days! Although a couple days I doubled up on walks, so maybe that counts? I forget how I counted it for Feb, haha.

Otherwise- 1 total 'fail' day, no work, no activity. This has happened each month, so I've decided I'll just build this in- one allowed fail each month.
-All time high of 16 days of 10/10 of my daily minimums. All 15 other days were 9/10. And like February, it was because of the fish ;) Haha. I'm slowly making my peace, and dare I say, starting to ENJOY some preparations of fish!

So, April goals:
-20 walks + runs
-finish out the couch to 5k program, then move to 2 days per week running
-once C to 5k ends, add 1 scheduled day lifting per week
-3 yoga classes at the studio
-15 days of 10/10 daily minimums
-2 hikes
-Run a 5k at some sort of organized event

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #590 on: April 01, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »

February checkin:

Cardio: 14/16 workouts
Strength: 15/16 workouts
Weight: 157
BF: 16.8%
Diet: On track

March checkin:
Cardio: 13/17 workouts
Strength: 10/17 workouts
Weight: 156
BF: 16.5%
Diet: On track, started tracking calories

I let myself lose motivation during a couple of weeks. I just did not want to do boring shoulder rehab. I think I'm ready for another shoulder strength test, and then I'll be back to regular upper body workouts. I started tracking calories about 10 days ago, because I've been going up and down a bit for the past 6 weeks. That will give me some concrete numbers to work with as I try to lose this last few pounds of fat. I started on the deadlift program mentioned earlier in the thread, and tested my max beforehand. I'm currently at 185, and will test again after 10 weeks. My goal is 225 at the end of that time.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #591 on: April 01, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
March check-in:

5/10 runs. 

Body fat %:  Well, in case this is entertaining - I accidentally broke the scale!  Somehow it had gotten into measurements using "stone" instead of pounds or kilos; when I sort of stomped on while trying to find the trick of changing the measurement, I broke the display.  More data in future...

Began tracking food I eat also.  Clearly this has improved the amount of vegetables; junk food reduced somewhat.  More details to come in future. 

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their inspiration.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: April 01, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
Having the hardest time gaining weight still. A month or so ago I added in two cups of Greek yogurt daily along with a bunch of fruit in it. That's well over 600 calories and I've still been stuck around 201-203 lbs. I'm probably around 12% BF but trying to bulk up before I start cutting hard. I finally caved in and ordered 10 lbs of weight gainer. I found some that's 600 calories per serving with only 5g sugar, so that's good. I could easily gain weight with candy and pizza but I'm doing it very clean. I'll replace a normal protein shake with the weight gainer and that should also have me hovering around the 4000 calorie per day mark. I haven't been "working" hard at work, and I've only upped the gym this year to 4 days a week vs last years 3. Granted, my workouts now are a bit longer and I've changed my cardio from treadmill/eliptical to plyo type stuff. Kettle ball swings, box jumps, alex pushes, etc.

Have been staying pretty committed. Maybe miss a meal a month and a gym day every couple months. We do skip on the cardio maybe once every other week though.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #593 on: April 02, 2017, 02:12:17 PM »
I'm late to this but could use a little boost/accountability. 

Loved reading through goals and resources as it helped me define some/add new and even start a new program this week.  Thanks to all for letting me steal ideas!

So for 2017: 
--Lose 8 pounds (bc it breaks one of those psychological barrier numbers)
--Get to 16% BF (currently at 19.something)
--Be able to do splits...started 30 day split program at the beginning of this week (if successful, add other challenges from same site)
--Make 6pk abs...I think this will take more time (2018 goal?) but will get started by adding ab work 3x week
--Improved flexibility all over...esp left arm mobility...stretching program daily...explore pilates?
--Run 3-4x week with intervals, speed or hill work 1x week. Build up to being able to run 10 miles comfortably
--Trainer: 1x week: add in pullups, dips and TRX backbend work (be able to do 10 unassisted dips/pullups, 20 pushups and unassisted backbend.... gracefully
--Yoga 1x week
--7 minute plank: practice 3x week
--Press handstand: practice 2x week
--Bike for nearby errands daily
--Go one 1 hike/walk with kids monthly
--Passagiata: 3 nights a week
--Swimming: define when water available...unsure when/where that will be
--Be able to do slack line: unpack and find a place to use it
--Branch out socially during fitness stuff
--Keto: continue with current plan

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #594 on: April 02, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »

Loved reading through goals and resources as it helped me define some/add new and even start a new program this week.  Thanks to all for letting me steal ideas!

So for 2017: 
--Lose 8 pounds (bc it breaks one of those psychological barrier numbers)
--Get to 16% BF (currently at 19.something)
--Be able to do splits...started 30 day split program at the beginning of this week (if successful, add other challenges from same site)
--Make 6pk abs...I think this will take more time (2018 goal?) but will get started by adding ab work 3x week
--Improved flexibility all over...esp left arm mobility...stretching program daily...explore pilates?
--Run 3-4x week with intervals, speed or hill work 1x week. Build up to being able to run 10 miles comfortably
--Trainer: 1x week: add in pullups, dips and TRX backbend work (be able to do 10 unassisted dips/pullups, 20 pushups and unassisted backbend.... gracefully
--Yoga 1x week
--7 minute plank: practice 3x week
--Press handstand: practice 2x week
--Bike for nearby errands daily
--Go one 1 hike/walk with kids monthly
--Passagiata: 3 nights a week
--Swimming: define when water available...unsure when/where that will be
--Be able to do slack line: unpack and find a place to use it
--Branch out socially during fitness stuff
--Keto: continue with current plan

Regarding 6 pack - I wouldn't waste too much time doing ab work. You already have abs, but the key is getting your BF low enough for them to show. Working that section won't make fat disappear, nor will it make them grow and protrude out extra or anything. A couple times a week is enough, but I wouldn't put much of a focus on that. The popular saying is always "abs are made in the kitchen" I.e. You just need to get your BF low enough for them to show.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #595 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:44 PM »

March check-in:

March goals:
- workout every day, but drop weight exercises to every other day for recovery time. Fill in alternate days with biking now that the snow is gone.
No missed days! I biked most days (seventeen) and am doing half my weight stuff on one set of days, the other half on the alternates - so recovery is there, but I'm still doing some weight stuff daily.
- increase kettle bell swings to 85 per day
Success - and I started April with 100 swings.
- increase bent arm hang to 8 seconds
Meh - I made it to 8 seconds on one day, but averaged just over 6. Still, it was better than the month before.
- start c25k again when the field I run in gets less soggy
Did this twice. But when the weather's nice, I still just like biking.

April goals:
- Keep working out every day.
- Increase bent arm hangs to 8 seconds more consistently
- do c25k at least twice per week
- I've started eating shitty snack foods. I can absorb a fair amount of that from biking (I'm at 580 miles for the year so far), but not all. So a new goal is to limit that to weekends, and M-F make my snacks healthy - salads, healthy smoothies, pumpkin seeds, real food.  <-- putting that in writing!!!

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #596 on: April 03, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »
March check-in: I'm behind where I should be for the 100 hours of yoga goal. That may have been an overly ambitious number, but I'll stick with it for now and see if I can catch up at my next milestone. I've definitely been doing yoga more than twice a week, and I have a plan to retrieve my bike in a couple of weeks!

jordanread

« Reply #597 on: April 03, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »

BJ already hit that answer. Not too late at all. If you have goals, just post them here, and I'll get you added to the participant tracking post. If you aren't sure yet, just comment in here and talk about kind of what you want, and we can help set some goals up for you.

Great artists and all that.

Welcome to the Gauntlet. I've got your goals added to the participant tracking post. If you could look them over, and let me know any changes, it'd be much appreciated. Also, use2betrix hit the nail on the head in regards to the six pack, but I did leave in the ab work goal.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #598 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
Also, use2betrix hit the nail on the head in regards to the six pack, but I did leave in the ab work goal.

Thanks Use2betrix & Jordanread.  Probably true on the abs, but I'm not ready to admit it.  A quick search suggests I'd need to get to 15% BF or less, and I think even when I was at that % many years ago, I don't think I had ab definition.  Maybe a 2 pk.  So I think I have work to do.   Plus I have those ab separation issues from pregnancy (diastasis recti?)  A quick search on fixing that suggests I should avoid regular ab exercises and planking.  Anyone here have suggestions on that?  I tried some recommended ones this AM, but feeling meh about them. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: April 03, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
March update. Did not lose weight but I think I have gained muscle and lost fat, judging on how clothes are fitting. New bike is up and fitted to me pretty well with a few minor tweaks needed. I got three hours of paid time at work to exercise per week (apparently a long in place program that was secret). So I have increased my running from one time per week to three times per week with great results. My pace is slowly increasing and I can do four miles or four and a half very nicely now. Weather is improving with more outside rides. Road 31 miles yesterday. Need to be more consistent about getting in 3 swims per week.

First triathlon is next Sunday. I am tapering this week and resting Wednesday onward aside from anything that is super leisurely like walking the dog.