Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212441 times)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »
Going to hit up GNC for some supplements today. Probably just some multi-vitamins and some whey protein powders. In my younger days I took creatine... but at some point Mustachian thinking has to enter the picture - I suspect for the average Joe, the benefits do not outweigh the cost of many of these products.

jordanread

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
Today I decided that I am going to be using my ~10 mile bike commute as my warm up, and do the workouts themselves at the office. Two birds and all that. Plus, since I'm the only FTE at that office, I won't get any funny looks. If I do though, it's okay. I was voted as King of the office, so the peasants can't say anything anyway. :-)

Hopper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 01:57:14 PM »
Today I decided that I am going to be using my ~10 mile bike commute as my warm up, and do the workouts themselves at the office. Two birds and all that. Plus, since I'm the only FTE at that office, I won't get any funny looks. If I do though, it's okay. I was voted as King of the office, so the peasants can't say anything anyway. :-)

Hurray for empty offices and good job on your "warm up" commute.  I also made it down to my office's gym and lifted today thanks to the lack of people and immediate deadlines here. 

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
2015 goals:

Lose 40 pounds
Swim 1000 meters
Run 10 miles

I am swimming 3 mornings a week and am super slow.  I can currently swim about 100 meters continuously before I have to stop and catch my breath.  Lots of work to do there. 

Started jogging and I can go about 4 blocks before I have to stop to walk. 

Seriously, I am really out of shape. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
Ruthiegirl, those are some pretty awesome goals. The swimming is something that I could stand to work on. I am very comfortable in the water, but technically, my swim stokes are awful. I did a starter triathlon 10 years ago and pretty much did the doggie paddle during the swim portion of the race. Somewhat amazingly, I didn't finish last... ;)

jordanread

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
I always resort to a relaxing back stroke.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »
Ruthiegirl, those are some pretty awesome goals. The swimming is something that I could stand to work on. I am very comfortable in the water, but technically, my swim stokes are awful. I did a starter triathlon 10 years ago and pretty much did the doggie paddle during the swim portion of the race. Somewhat amazingly, I didn't finish last... ;)

I have a lot of friends who do triathalons and they say swim portion is always the hardest.  Survive the swim and make up time on the bike and run, right? 

I took a couple of adult swim classes and my stroke is better than it used to be, but my endurance is in the crapper.  Age and babies have done their best to slow me down, but I swear I am going to turn it around.

And I love backstroke!  It is the only time I can get a decent breath. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »
I lost 20 lbs in 2014 but intend to lose 10 more in 2015. Continue to fast walk for an hour/day-minimum of 10,000 steps per day & continue to eat healthy &  monitor my daily calorie intake.   

jordanread

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
I lost 20 lbs in 2014 but intend to lose 10 more in 2015. Continue to fast walk for an hour/day-minimum of 10,000 steps per day & continue to eat healthy &  monitor my daily calorie intake.

I've got you added.

Also, while messing around, I decided to add a goal. Last year I bought a 25 meter slackline, and while I've gone out and played around about monthly, I want to push that into high gear. Allegedly it's really good for core strength. So I added the following goal to mine:
  • Complete my 25 meter slackline without falling
Should be fun!! If you don't know what slacklining is, here is a variation of it. This is tricklining, and I don't think I'm quite there yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTwQGEeGZc

What I really want to do at some point is highlining (hopefully between two hot air balloons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pm9teaSpM

Is anyone else joining this challenge so that they can better do crazy and exciting things?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2015, 07:17:07 PM »
My 2015 goals are achieving a 15 min mile or better walking and losing 10-15 lbs.  I have just started and am doing 18-20 min miles.  Also, eat healthier, which seems to be elusive these days.

I also would like to teach myself to run - my main goal.  I can't run for the life of me.  I just ordered some running shoes and hope I like them.  The ones I have, my feet start to hurt.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2015, 08:02:09 PM »
Alright, fellow Mustachians, I'll throw my hat in the ring as well.

75 pushups in a minute
35 pullups
35 burpees
6 minute mile
10 minute mile-and-a-half
Run a half marathon

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »
I'm in too!!
2015 Fitness Goals:
1. Lose 40 lbs
2. Work out at least 5-6 days a week, wake up early and do it even on my working days
3. Run with my friend every day I am not working
4.Run a half-marathon in less than 2.5 hours (I run very slow to begin with, average 2:45)
5. Eat healthy foods, dessert and or alcoholic beverage 1x a week only

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2015, 10:56:31 PM »
Is anyone else joining this challenge so that they can better do crazy and exciting things?

No.

I was thinking about my goals while I was out running, and how I can make them more specific.  So:

Sets of 10 deck squats with jump, 25# kettlebell
10 single-legged deadlifts each leg without rebalancing on my free leg
Bosu ball air squats - sets of 20 deep squats, and sets of 10 holding at 2-point position for 5 seconds each rep
Run a 7 minute mile
Lose 8# of fat while maintaining current muscle mass

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2015, 05:36:52 AM »

I've got you added.

Also, while messing around, I decided to add a goal. Last year I bought a 25 meter slackline, and while I've gone out and played around about monthly, I want to push that into high gear. Allegedly it's really good for core strength. So I added the following goal to mine:
  • Complete my 25 meter slackline without falling
Should be fun!! If you don't know what slacklining is, here is a variation of it. This is tricklining, and I don't think I'm quite there yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTwQGEeGZc

What I really want to do at some point is highlining (hopefully between two hot air balloons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pm9teaSpM

Fuck yeah, bro!  I've been slacklining since 2004!  If you can get real comfortable with falling correctly, then you'll have nothing to fear.

jordanread

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »
Everyone is added to the tracking post. Welcome!!

Man, polo is crazy!! :P Got your goals updated.

Fuck yeah, bro!  I've been slacklining since 2004!  If you can get real comfortable with falling correctly, then you'll have nothing to fear.

It's not the falling that bothers me, it's the lack of core strength to keep me from wiggling so much. How far can you go? Have you done any high-lining?

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2015, 03:33:05 PM »
My goal is cumulative over the year, which is helpful so I don't slack off too much and keeps me working out every few days so as not to fall behind the pace.

5000 pullups (~13.7 per day on average)

15000 push ups (41 per day)

Fitbit average 10k steps per day.

Bike 365 miles (I don't bike as much as I should).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2015, 03:56:01 PM »
CCCA, funny you mention the Fitbit... got my wife one for Christmas and she is obsessed with hitting her 10000 steps everyday. If she is short in the evening she will walk or run around the block just to hit the number. :)

My wife and I just finished our second 5k run in the past 3 days. Feels great!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
I'd like to lose 41 pounds by the fall, but by year's end would be fine. It's the next big milestone, but not my end goal. If I overachieve, so much the better.

* Eat on a calorie deficit most days. Be sure about this by logging my food daily in the MyFitnessPal app.
* Stick to the low glycemic index eating plan that seems to be working well for me.
* Develop a regular exercise habit (5x/week) -- Body weight, YMCA cardio & weights, swimming, biking, whatever. As long as it's habitual.
* Continue daily yoga -- My back goes out on me yearly. I'd love to prevent it and gain flexibility.

Thanks for the throw-down!

jordanread

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »
CCCA, funny you mention the Fitbit... got my wife one for Christmas and she is obsessed with hitting her 10000 steps everyday. If she is short in the evening she will walk or run around the block just to hit the number. :)

My wife and I just finished our second 5k run in the past 3 days. Feels great!

My mom was doing the same thing. Last time I went out there, we stopped at a restaurant for dinner. She looked at her steps, and went out to go around the parking lot to hit her 10K. Also, Google Fit does a pretty good job of setting and celebrating daily goals like that. The pedometer seems pretty accurate on my Moto X too.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
Entering the USAPL Brooklyn drug free raw powerlifting competition April 25-26th. Shooting for the > 205 class which means losing ~15 lbs by then. I would also like to hit a 315 bench, 425 squat, and 525 deadlift. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
It would be amazing to be that strong. My particular body type is conducive to drawing admiring looks at the beach (when I am fit that is) but not in terms of lifting prodigious weight. Some people seem to be "naturally strong"... I am more of a "strong for a lanky guy" strong. :)

jordanread

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
I noticed that some of the workouts and goals here I wasn't familiar with. Since I'm bored, I went ahead and found videos of most of the workouts, so people can see what each others' goals actually are.

As far as the Big 6 go, we have a master step and step 6. The Step 6 link shows all of the Big 6 in a single video. The master steps are here:

Grand Battement
Chaine Turns
Pique Turn
Weighted squats
Deadlift
50" Box Jump
Kettleball Deck Squats
Single leg deadlift
Bosu Ball Squat
Warrior Dash
Bench Press
Kong vault

Eventually I will go through to get an idea as to how fast those of you with running certain distances in certain times will have to go.

Everyone here is a freaking badass!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:05:53 AM by jordanread »

wtrfre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
I will join.  Desk job and busy life has left me woefully unfit.
Goal: To do some form of exercise every day.
Focusing on bodyweight exercises.  I would love to be able to do more walking, but since time and space are at a premium I think bodyweight exercises will fit in my life better.  Bonus is that they improve strength!

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »

It's not the falling that bothers me, it's the lack of core strength to keep me from wiggling so much. How far can you go? Have you done any high-lining?

I've done some 15ft high walks on shorter lines, but I prefer long lines close to the ground.  I'm more of a tricker than a walker.

If you stop imagining that you can prevent the wiggles, and start creating motion through small bounces, swings, and swaying, a slackline becomes much less intimidating.  Motion is life!

jordanread

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »

I've done some 15ft high walks on shorter lines, but I prefer long lines close to the ground.  I'm more of a tricker than a walker.

If you stop imagining that you can prevent the wiggles, and start creating motion through small bounces, swings, and swaying, a slackline becomes much less intimidating.  Motion is life!

That's awesome!! Is that you? I can kind of bounce my way across a good portion of it, but one of the things that I'm challenging myself to do is have excellent body control. While the bouncing and stuff is fun, and I'm sure I will do it, my goal is to be able to control my body well enough that I can make it look nonchalant and simple as I walk across. I have seen maybe one person do it, and to me, it's more impressive than anything else. However, once I get to that point, then the fun begins.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »
Ooohh!  I'd like to play too! 
I had already mapped out my plans for 2015, but sharing my fitness goals adds a nice level of accountability. 

- maintain Weight below 140 lbs.
- Strength-training 3x/week. (Convict Conditioning, weights & plyometrics.)
- Running at least 3x/week for minimum of 30+ minutes.
- Run 50k for my Birthday in the Fall.
- this one will be the toughest one: Bike Commuting at least 50% of work days.

The Bike Commuting scares me, but I want to overcome the fear & DO IT this year. Nw that I have set work hours & no longer take Call for traumas/emergency surgeries, it should be doable.

Maybe you guys have suggestions or can yell at me to, "Suck it up, Buttercup!" and just get out there.
My concerns include:
(1) Distance.  It's 26 miles round trip for work.  Need to work up to that full distance, but I can't stop half-way to the job!

(2) Darkness & Safety. I'd have to leave the house by 4:45 or 5:00 AM to arrive at the hospital on time.  I have lights & reflector vest, etc... but honestly, this is the SCARY part for me.

(3) The cold/ snow/ elements.  This one's complainy-pants, I know.  But I live in Colorado & it gives me concerns!!  I think I have all the clothing covered, except for protecting my face.  Suggestions?  I'm also concerned that the elements (snow, slush, salt, grit, etc) will trash my bike.  What is recommended specifically to maintain a bike in the winter?

Thanks in advance!  Your willingness to help out newbies is much appreciated!

jordanread

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Ooohh!  I'd like to play too! 
I had already mapped out my plans for 2015, but sharing my fitness goals adds a nice level of accountability. 

- maintain Weight below 140 lbs.
- Strength-training 3x/week. (Convict Conditioning, weights & plyometrics.)
- Running at least 3x/week for minimum of 30+ minutes.
- Run 50k for my Birthday in the Fall.
- this one will be the toughest one: Bike Commuting at least 50% of work days.

The Bike Commuting scares me, but I want to overcome the fear & DO IT this year. Nw that I have set work hours & no longer take Call for traumas/emergency surgeries, it should be doable.

Maybe you guys have suggestions or can yell at me to, "Suck it up, Buttercup!" and just get out there.
My concerns include:
(1) Distance.  It's 26 miles round trip for work.  Need to work up to that full distance, but I can't stop half-way to the job!

(2) Darkness & Safety. I'd have to leave the house by 4:45 or 5:00 AM to arrive at the hospital on time.  I have lights & reflector vest, etc... but honestly, this is the SCARY part for me.

(3) The cold/ snow/ elements.  This one's complainy-pants, I know.  But I live in Colorado & it gives me concerns!!  I think I have all the clothing covered, except for protecting my face.  Suggestions?  I'm also concerned that the elements (snow, slush, salt, grit, etc) will trash my bike.  What is recommended specifically to maintain a bike in the winter?

Thanks in advance!  Your willingness to help out newbies is much appreciated!

Awesome goals. As far as the cycling questions, I'd suggest perusing the November and December cycling challenge threads, as I was having some issues with gear, and a lot of good advice was thrown around, including bike care. Also, joining in the cycling challenge for this month will be helpful, pitting you against everyone else, but with a fun place to ask questions, tell stories, brag, etc. The link is in my signature.

What part of Colorado are you in?

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
Thanks, jordanread, I'll follow the link & catch up on the bike commuting advice now!

I'm north of Denver, not too far from MMM HQ.  ;-)

Mr. Sharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2015, 05:27:38 PM »
I'm in.  I hope when I read these again at the end of the year, I'll have them all checked off:

• Maintain 180lbs all year.  This'll be tough for me for the first few months.  I work a busy season desk job from January-April and I have without fail put on about 10 pounds each year for the previous five years only to lose it in the summer.  I'd like to start this summer at 180 and just tone up a bit.
  • Complete a 10 mile trail run.
  • Do 25 consecutive pull ups.
  • Hold a full handstand for a minute and do a handstand pushup (both with no wall assist). 
  • Perform a kong vault/frog jump.  There's a great setup for me to do this at my local park, but I haven't been brave enough yet to do a real attempt.  This is my summer goal!

jordanread

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
Thanks, jordanread, I'll follow the link & catch up on the bike commuting advice now!

I'm north of Denver, not too far from MMM HQ.  ;-)

One of these days I'm going to do the math, and figure out what it would take to turn all of Colorado into the most perfect Mustachian state. For now though, I'll continue trying to get people to live down here. :-) Glad to have you on the challenge!

jordanread

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »
I'm in.  I hope when I read these again at the end of the year, I'll have them all checked off:
  • Maintain 180lbs all year.  This'll be tough for me for the first few months.  I work a busy season desk job from January-April and I have without fail put on about 10 pounds each year for the previous five years only to lose it in the summer.  I'd like to start this summer at 180 and just tone up a bit.
  • Complete a 10 mile trail run.
  • Do 25 consecutive pull ups.
  • Hold a full handstand for a minute and do a handstand pushup (both with no wall assist). 
  • Perform a kong vault/frog jump.  There's a great setup for me to do this at my local park, but I haven't been brave enough yet to do a real attempt.  This is my summer goal!
I've got you added! I like the kong vault idea. Is this just a general goal because it's awesome, or are you currently (or trying to get) into free running?

As far as checking at the end of the year, I'd suggest checking in here on occasion for face-punches, support and what not.

Edited to fix the quote issue. I don't know what the hell happened there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:42:56 AM by jordanread »

Mr. Sharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2015, 06:27:28 AM »

I've got you added! I like the kong vault idea. Is this just a general goal because it's awesome, or are you currently (or trying to get) into free running?

As far as checking at the end of the year, I'd suggest checking in here on occasion for face-punches, support and what not.

It's just awesome haha, regular trail running is enough for me.  Some free running videos I watch just blow my mind; it's difficult to even believe that people can do those things even as I'm watching the videos.   

Thanks for the add!  I'll remember the incoming face punch for every office meal I eat for the next few months and hopefully avoid the junk stuff.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2015, 07:54:08 AM »
I'm dreading the gym visit today because it is likely to jam packed with the  "get in shape" new year resolution crowd. Going to do my usual  (if I can get on the equipment) - half hour stationary bike on level 16 (350 calories burned), half hour treadmill (350 calories burned), and one hour of weight training. I've been doing this for a couple of months already and happy with the results so far. I picked up a meaty 50 pound dumbbell during my last gym workout - it really hit home that I had lost that much excess weight from my body during the last several months - the thought that I had been carrying that around for many years is disturbing.

Continued good luck to all in this thread!

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa 35 pullups? Is that a legit max or crossfit pullups? I have known 1 person who could do that many legit.

I have always had a pretty strong back. These days I can do about 20 pullups, and I'm focused a lot more on running than anything else. And no, I don't do the kipling pullups, or whatever they're called.

jordanread

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2015, 02:18:22 PM »
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa 35 pullups? Is that a legit max or crossfit pullups? I have known 1 person who could do that many legit.

I have always had a pretty strong back. These days I can do about 20 pullups, and I'm focused a lot more on running than anything else. And no, I don't do the kipling pullups, or whatever they're called.

Kipping, but I had no idea what they are. It's like a plyo version, with different goals from a strict pullup. Looks like more for explosive power than for pure strength. I can do about 6 right now, but since I'm restarting CC, I'm starting at step 1 w/ intermediate progression standards, and working on form.

As for me, the biking in to work as a warm up has accomplished two things. 1st, I feel freaking badass talking about it. "Oh yeah, I did my workout this morning. I didn't get to it until 7:00 though since I had to do my 10 mile bike ride as a warm up.
2nd, I'm always so pumped after a bike ride, that I have no issues finding the motivation to do it. I'm nice and warm, after a quick "I just got off the bike" stretch, I'm totally ready to go.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
Goals:
  • 15% body fat on scale (12% stretch goal)
  • Rx 4 out of 5 workouts a week
  • Whole 30 in January and July, modified Paleo 28 days each month

Hurdles: How I will overcome them
  • Motivation: Drive directly to gym after work, do not pass go, do not collect other obligations
  • Injuries: Do 15 minutes mobility work before each workout, 30 minutes on rest days
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:01:49 PM by Philociraptor »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
I'm gonna take:
1. 6 levels of convict conditioning challenge.
        (sub challenge leg raises and squats strengthen right knee to eliminate pain)
2. Weigh 185 - currently 210
        NOTE: this could be affected by muscle gain from challenge 1 i'm 6'4"

jordanread

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
Goals:
  • 15% body fat using caliper measurement (12% stretch goal)

2 things.

By Rx do you mean you are juicing? We don't support that here. ;-P (Seriously though, I don't quite understand in this context)

Also, do you want your dietary goals done "formally" as goals, or just something to keep in mind?

I'm gonna take:

What is the sub challenge? Leg raises and squats, progressed properly should build up joint strength and flexibility, reducing pain. Is the sub challenge just reducing the pain? If so, by all means, convict conditioning is a great way to start from the ground up, but you may want to read convict conditioning 2 if you can get it (PM me if you have any questions). I haven't read it all the way through, but there is a huge focus on joints.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2015, 03:54:42 PM »
Sounds good. My goal is to drop to 200lb by June 25. I've let my weight gradually creep up to ~240 over my undergraduate years, and I'd like to get that under control, especially since I'll be out in California for my master's degree. Ideally I'd drop all the way down to 190, but I think those last ten pounds will be too stubborn to group with the first 40. As a secondary goal, I'm also working toward a 9:00-9:30 1.5 mile run time at the end of February. As recently as November 2013 I used to go on 10 mile runs several times per week (when I weighed about 220), but I've fallen out of that habit as I lived in a very nice running city at the time.

From now until May 26 is 20 weeks, which means I could average 2lb per week. I think better for me would be to shoot for 3lb per week. My resting metabolism is somewhere between 2300 and 2700 calories per day, depending on calculation method. If it turns out that that estimate is a little optimistic, I think it would make it to 2500kCal/day when considering that I live in a fifth floor room with no elevator, and that I walk several miles to classes each day. Anyway, I can average the 1500 kCal/day deficit needed to lose 3lb/week primarily by eating only 1500kCal/day plus 500kCal/day in exercise, along with 1000kCal days when I am not able to exercise. On exercise days, this is a manageable 300/600/600 split. The trickiest thing is that I have no control over what my meals are, nor when they are. The only form of control I have is that I have a small fridge in my room where I typically keep milk and yogurt (free for me). This has typically been one of my problems, as I eat way too much cereal. So, as a baseline to cut all kinds of waste calories, I'll be done with desserts/sweets of all kinds until I weigh no more than 215, and no more processed grain/corn-based foods. Also, no more cereal, which I tend to treat as a dessert. The void of sweetness left by those things will be filled by fruit, which I also have easy access to, even if it is a limited selection.

My exercise will be primarily treadmill and lifting, along with some stationary biking. I like to swim more than anything else, but I need to get prepared for my running goal, plus the pool at my school has limited, crowded hours.

Good luck to everyone else! I hope to stop by frequently.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »
Goals:

2 things.

By Rx do you mean you are juicing? We don't support that here. ;-P (Seriously though, I don't quite understand in this context)

Also, do you want your dietary goals done "formally" as goals, or just something to keep in mind?

To Rx a workout means to do it as prescribed, as in doing the prescribed weight and movements for rounds, reps, and/or time. I should make this goal more specific, I want to start doing this by July. Currently I can only Rx about 1 in 10 workouts.

And yes, let's make the diet goals a formal one.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »
Where does one buy one of these body fat callipers? I'm curious as to where my body fat % is at (and a little fearful).

jordanread

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »
Where does one buy one of these body fat callipers? I'm curious as to where my body fat % is at (and a little fearful).

They are pretty much just calipers.  You can find them pretty cheap on amazon, like this one. While you should get accurate numbers, in order to monitor your progression, you have to make sure to pinch the exact same spot every time. Even trained professionals have issues with consistency on that. These days, the electronic ones that measure your resistance are great for tracking your progress, mostly because of the consistency. The one I have is this one, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I bought it 07/2012, and it's still going strong.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
Goals:

2 things.

I'm gonna take:

What is the sub challenge? Leg raises and squats, progressed properly should build up joint strength and flexibility, reducing pain. Is the sub challenge just reducing the pain? If so, by all means, convict conditioning is a great way to start from the ground up, but you may want to read convict conditioning 2 if you can get it (PM me if you have any questions). I haven't read it all the way through, but there is a huge focus on joints.

Yeah I just hope it to be a by product of the exercises. I have aa weaker right knee than left due to basketball for years and being right handed. Tweaked it skiing 2 years ago hasn't been the same since. So hoping these exercises will strengthen it to eliminate pain. As well as weight loss should reduce it too. It has an internal problem that may never be fixed but general pain relief is the goal/hope

jordanread

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
I'm gonna take:

Yeah I just hope it to be a by product of the exercises. I have aa weaker right knee than left due to basketball for years and being right handed. Tweaked it skiing 2 years ago hasn't been the same since. So hoping these exercises will strengthen it to eliminate pain. As well as weight loss should reduce it too. It has an internal problem that may never be fixed but general pain relief is the goal/hope

You've got all the information you need, right? As far as Convict Conditioning goes, I mean.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
I pulled the info from the tim ferris site you sent out. Is there more to it than following the workout plan on there and progressing

i use his 4 hour body slow carb diet to lose weight ... works awesome i figure if he is recommending this and the fact that its low impact will help me alot

also my goal is master step
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:37:02 PM by boarder42 »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »
Also all this work and weight loss is to get me thinner and stronger for wakeboarding this spring. (Yeah boats are antimustacian). I love wakeboarding and if I don't strengthen this knee I'll probably have to quit sell the boat and retire earlier. Ohhh the horror!

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2015, 07:56:16 PM »
One arm pullups and one arm handstand pushups?

Jordanread, if you can get to level 10 of all the progressions, I will figure out a way to buy you a beer and a burger!  Provide some proof and i'll buy you a slackline with a witty slogan of your choosing (yeah, I have a slackline guy)!!!

Go get em, bro!

jordanread

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »
One arm pullups and one arm handstand pushups?

Jordanread, if you can get to level 10 of all the progressions, I will figure out a way to buy you a beer and a burger!  Provide some proof and i'll buy you a slackline with a witty slogan of your choosing (yeah, I have a slackline guy)!!!

Go get em, bro!

I will most assuredly try. After looking around to see some examples of the one armed handstand pushup, I found a video of Al mother fucking Kavadlo (bodyweight badass) saying that one day, someone might do it. I don't have genetics on my side, but I do have badassity. As far as the pull ups, I'm actually really confident I can get there.

jordanread

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
So this is interesting. These past few weeks I've been feeling stronger and overall better. I've been sleeping better, waking up easier, and just all around in a good mood. I haven't gotten drunk or anything. As I mentioned earlier, I started taking semi-daily pictures so I can track my progression. No flexing, because my goal is to just look good and healthy with a 6 pack as I sit at the computer or chill in a hammock. Just that cool confident look, while knowing I could be up and moving with confidence. If I was the kind of person to get discouraged, the pictures probably would have done it, just because I don't have much tone and a stomach. However, I was looking at it more like how cool this is going to look when I show my progress, so it didn't bug me. Well, this morning I finally put batteries in one of the scales that someone gave me a while back (has one of the built in fat monitors too, although the accuracy isn't supposed to be as good as the one I linked to earlier). I haven't weighed myself in probably 6 months, and I was floating around 190lbs at that point. Still chunky, but not too bad, just no tone. HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!! Apparently, all those craft beers, drinking, smoking, etc over that time period snuck up on me. I broke 200lbs and didn't even notice. So, as I looked at the numbers baffled, I shrugged, and continued getting ready for my bike commute this morning (which I have consistently done since I very much am procrastinating fixing my car until I can make sure the habit sticks ;-)). Since I can't have negative feelings and what not on my bike, my thoughts turned to solutions on the way in this morning. I've already got a plan in place, so there wasn't much to do besides commit to a few changes that I think may have been causing it (excessive beer consumption and going slightly stricter on the diet...or at least tracking macronutrients) and keep with my other plan. But then, since I had a great ride in (as usual), I decided that instead of being all down and embarrassed about it, I'll own the hell out of that picture and those numbers, even though they suck. And then I thought, how will I keep myself accountable? Oh yeah, I'll post said numbers and picture on the fitness challenge, so that everybody can see exactly where I am at. Which will make hitting those steps that much more badass. So here we go (I don't remember exactly, but the numbers to the left of the decimal are accurate, and I'll reconfirm when I go home).

Stats
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 204.3lbs
Body Fat: 24.3% (I think)

And the embarrassing photo (taken 12/30):

Not smiling on purpose (which is really hard after a bike ride), because as stated above, I'm taking these photos in as neutral a 'pose' as I can. Looking at it, I'm kind of like a tubby hourglass :D

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »
I'll write these down here,  Nice idea Jordanread

Goals
415lb Backsquat (currently 385)
500lb Deadlift (currently 455)
300lb Clean and Jerk (currently 275)

Obstacles
Currently rehabbing hip/lower back.  Need to get this completely healthy before I get back to my full training.

Plan
Stick to my lifting programming (3x per week) and general cardio work (1-2x per week).  Work on flexibility everyday for 30 minutes minimum.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:01:59 AM by Cromacster »