Author Topic: Finish That Novel, Now With NaNoWriMo Action!  (Read 22762 times)

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Finish That Novel, Now With NaNoWriMo Action!
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »
Grats Lenn and Pooperman!

I got to 10,875. Chapter 3 is done! Chapter 4 is well under way. I love writing this book. It is my happy place.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2015, 10:34:20 AM »
I've failed every year at NaNo, but congrats to those of you who finished or at least attempted it!

I've published four novels, two short stories and an essay, but life has gotten in the way of finishing the next book I owe my publisher. Royalties are a viable source of (second) income, so maybe we should keep encouraging each other? Have you already established a group, etc.? I know I'm much more productive when held accountable.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »
I've failed every year at NaNo, but congrats to those of you who finished or at least attempted it!

I've published four novels, two short stories and an essay, but life has gotten in the way of finishing the next book I owe my publisher. Royalties are a viable source of (second) income, so maybe we should keep encouraging each other? Have you already established a group, etc.? I know I'm much more productive when held accountable.

Welcome to the group :D. I have no idea where to establish an "official" group with accountabilities and all of that fun stuff.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »
I wrote about 11,000 words.  Life got in the way, but not bad for a first NNWM attempt.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »

This was my first NaNoWriMo and I did it for the accountability.  I didn't finish my book, but I do want to keep at it.  For me, seeing that graph of word count was very motivating.  I think I'm going to have to continue with entering my word count into Excel or something to see my graph continue. 

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »
I stopped at 40 000. There were two days left, and I could have made it, but I'm practicing the art of giving less fucks. Nanowrimo got me to a place where I can have fun writing more. I'm generally not very good at doing stuff just because they are fun.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
I stopped at 40 000. There were two days left, and I could have made it, but I'm practicing the art of giving less fucks. Nanowrimo got me to a place where I can have fun writing more. I'm generally not very good at doing stuff just because they are fun.
I only got to 6,500 but the real goal of Nanowrimo was the same for me- learn to do fun stuff just because it's fun. I'm planning on continuing with my story, it's one I'd read so I think I'll enjoy it when I'm done too!

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
I JUST found this thread. Loved reading through the push of November. DH and I have been working on a series for a VERY long time now. I wish I'd known about the NaNoWriMo site. DH had so much going on that we likely would have had to skip it this year.

I am the techie of the two of us so just taught myself YWriter to help organize our thoughts. Do any of you use a tool like that. Is this tool adequate or am I missing something better. I liked the price, FREE.

DH writes the rough scenes and we use Join Me meetings to take his rough thoughts to the next level collaboratively. Because we are co-writing I like that we can each sit at our own workstation at home and make changes on the fly while the other watches. I feel we do a decent job at fleshing out the plots and subplots, it remains to be seen if we have the skill to button up everything nicely in the end however.

DH loves to draw out timelines, diagrams, artifacts etc on graph paper and he is going to scan those ASAP (I am going to bug him tonight). Since this series is his own made up world, there are endless world building tasks to be done and at times, that stalls out the creative writing time while we work out a world conundrum.

I am theproofer, editor, subject matter contributor and all around cheer squad.

I imported about 25k words this weekend and sorted through it all, luckily we'd already added lines for section breaks which made it easy to have YWriter automagically break up the scenes within the chapters.

I see some of you write by hand, DH is a mix and I am totally computer oriented, I am a developer trained IT person so hand writing anything feels so slow and tedious.

I am not sure if next November DH and I can do a one month writing cram, but by then I "hope" we've finished what would be the first of the series, or perhaps just one of a series in the timeline he has created.

We have established our reading group. A friend already published his first book (self published) and is in that group. This group of folks are avid bookworms, some don't even read our genre but they are family so have no choice but to read and comment:) Family tend to be encouraging but also blunt when we miss something.

Is this thread going to continue even though it is now past November? or is there another writing thread I can tap into?

Good luck to everyone!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
I'm hoping we'll continue past November, I'm certainly not done writing yet :)

I went through our bookshelf with DH on the weekend and now have 3 reference books I can tear up and scribble in to help with my world building, as it's a bit "alternate history".  That is what was showing me down :)

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2015, 07:21:36 PM »
I hear you on being slowed down by worldbuilding, Anatidaev. On the other hand, at least we get to research absurdly obscure things?

Finally had some friends over to "story board" the novel, but it was mostly me telling them a story and them finding snags, plot holes, and other issues. It was four hours of talking and debating, but I think it came to a good place! I've had to rewrite two chapters, but back to good old chapter 4 and that's still pushing through. Who KNEW that killing a god could be so hard?

I wouldn't mind some accountability. Writing on Sunday mornings doesn't really seem to be cutting it.. I really enjoy writing the book, but I am getting a little impatient with the rate of my progress.

Additionally, started a round-robin style session with two friends. We're doing a romance novel, since they are fun and lucrative, and switching off chapters. I wrote the chapter outline and my friend Rodeo is writing the first chapter now. This appeases me because I've had no problems selling romance in the past, so I feel like I'm doing something "productive" instead of just indulging my love of fantasy writing.

In other, other news, my cat just chewed through my headphones in one bite. :) What. An. Asshole.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
Hmm, I like the idea of multi-authoring some smut for money. Maybe we can get a Mustachian Smut Writers Club together or something for a bit of extra income. DW will playtest give feedback :D.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »
I am down with this, Pooperman. I am serious. I will do it. But I have no chapter outlines left in me for the mo', so I'd leave that to an eager volunteer. Happy to spitball ideas tho!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »
Read through MonkeyJenga's journal, they've been throwing around ideas for smut there and there may be more people interested.

Who knew a finance forum would result in smut writing?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2015, 09:24:18 PM »
[LINK REMOVED]

Hopefully that link works. Basic idea there. Not sure how long romance books need before you can feed the kindle machine, maybe one of you would know. Fantasy is fun to write but doesn't put food on the table :(.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:58:07 AM by Pooperman »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
Romance Writers there, any links to good how-tos?
I was thinking of trying one for a change. (and poss for future earning a bit, as you guys said, Fantasy is fun, but does not earn)

@pooperman: I would be interested in watching (english isnt my native anyway) and maybe woldbuilding (I am good at that) if that is ok.
I dont like having to create a google acc though, I get spied upon as it is more then is good.

oh, forgot:
I am using Scrivener for organizing etc. and sometimes writing and plain simple LibreOffice for writing/dictating. I prefer typing, but dictating is way less demanding on the hands ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:33:40 PM by LennStar »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »
I spy a LennStar. Anyways, anyone who wants to join, can. Some agreement will have to be worked out that is fair to each persons' contribution to the cause. Plus, it'll be fun :D. Like an online mustachian meetup that we can do every week or something.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2015, 05:07:10 AM »
Whoever wants to join in the effort, please put your name on the Google sheet. I'll figure out a way to all come together to meet and discuss all the particulars. If you don't want to join and your name is already on the sheet for demonstration purposes (anatidaev and meowkins), let me know and I'll remove you.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
Whoever wants to join in the effort, please put your name on the Google sheet. I'll figure out a way to all come together to meet and discuss all the particulars. If you don't want to join and your name is already on the sheet for demonstration purposes (anatidaev and meowkins), let me know and I'll remove you.

I'm in, but would love to talk particulars. I do believe in having some sort of structured plot (a beginning, an end, even if it's just one story within many), so that it doesn't end up taking crazy turns.

Example:

Stephanie just graduated culinary school. After her professors pull some strings to get her into the fanciest restaurant in New York she things she's all set to succeed in the male-dominated world of cooking. But when things start heating up between her and her boss in the kitchens of Mars Colony, Stephanie is forced to confront the truth: will her new hybrid mollusk-human lover compromise her position in the coming human vs mollusk war? FIND OUT, in our next chapter, which probably includes tentacles!!

You see how things can get out of hand. But I promise no tentacles. Really.

Maybe we can use a Mumble server to chat about this stuff? I don't have one available, but I am very able to give suggestions with no real ability to follow through on a solution.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »

I'm in, but would love to talk particulars. I do believe in having some sort of structured plot (a beginning, an end, even if it's just one story within many), so that it doesn't end up taking crazy turns.

Example:

Stephanie just graduated culinary school. After her professors pull some strings to get her into the fanciest restaurant in New York she things she's all set to succeed in the male-dominated world of cooking. But when things start heating up between her and her boss in the kitchens of Mars Colony, Stephanie is forced to confront the truth: will her new hybrid mollusk-human lover compromise her position in the coming human vs mollusk war? FIND OUT, in our next chapter, which probably includes tentacles!!

You see how things can get out of hand. But I promise no tentacles. Really.

Maybe we can use a Mumble server to chat about this stuff? I don't have one available, but I am very able to give suggestions with no real ability to follow through on a solution.

Basically, you get the idea haha. The writing will be on an agreed-upon story that everyone comes up with. I mean, 1/3 of it will probably just be smut proper, but there does have to be a story to string it all together. Like, a good story with plot and consistency and all of that.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »
Signups will be closed (softly) for this group writing project on the 20th of December. If you want to join after, it depends on how far along planning/writing is.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:41:11 PM by Pooperman »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
Romance Writers there, any links to good how-tos?
I was thinking of trying one for a change. (and poss for future earning a bit, as you guys said, Fantasy is fun, but does not earn)
Jami Gold's beat sheet is good: http://jamigold.com/2012/11/write-romance-get-your-beat-sheet-here/

Michael Hauge's thing on identity vs essence is awesomely helpful.

Fantasy romance sells if it's shifters. Want to write some sexy werewolves? ;)
Thanks I will have a look at it.

Actually my nano novel has cathumans in it and a halfling - like the japanese nekomimi - will get romantic later on ^^ its the half-sister of the male main who finally gets found. Actually the novel is writen with the tolerance thema but I suck at conflicts. Need to get more nastier in the re-write.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
Lennstar sign me up for reading your novel! that sounds cool :)

I am on chapter 5. It is slooow going. But I'm making it, you guys!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »

OK, just learn german ;)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2015, 02:15:08 PM »

OK, just learn german ;)

Mein Deutche ist nicht sehr shoern (sp?). I mean, after 7 years you'd think I'd understand it pretty well, and I do to some degree, but it's been a long time.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »
Alas, German never made it on my wishlist of languages to learn. So I will never learn it. Just like the rest of the languages actually on my wishlist. But we all need dreams.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2015, 01:30:28 AM »
I never got around to it, but I'm not interested in the romance-writing group, I have too many other projects at the moment. I would like to hear updates on progress if it gets going!

I have pulled lots of reference books off my shelves for my book, but not written anything for a few weeks. Should have some time post-Christmas :)

I also seem to keep making my universe/world more complex. Anyone else do that/find it's a problem? I'm not sure if it's a problem or if it's just a natural part of fleshing out the world.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2015, 02:19:58 AM »
I never got around to it, but I'm not interested in the romance-writing group, I have too many other projects at the moment. I would like to hear updates on progress if it gets going!

I have pulled lots of reference books off my shelves for my book, but not written anything for a few weeks. Should have some time post-Christmas :)

I also seem to keep making my universe/world more complex. Anyone else do that/find it's a problem? I'm not sure if it's a problem or if it's just a natural part of fleshing out the world.

I think that is pretty normal. As you write you discover new things, on the world or your characters. Sometimes the chars are so strong you have to wrestle with them even to get them where you want, not to mention to do what you want ^^ And gradually the image of the world in your head turns into details on the paper.
You always had known that the horses there have 6 legs, but since that is normal for your chars, you only write it at page 27 ;)

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
Anatidaev, I am running into the same. It's amazing the amount of detail worldbuilding requires u_u The way I've been approaching it is that there may be a lot of details I have to know to make the world work, but that not all of that detail will make it into the book.

I figured out how the world works but not how the training headquarters or curriculum work. So now I've got to go figure out how to make some janky kids into real warriors. Any tips?