Author Topic: Stop Eating at $&%@#$! Restaurants, THE RETURN: 2017  (Read 9150 times)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
Re: Stop Eating at $&%@#$! Restaurants, THE RETURN: 2017
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
Still doing well with this. We have a vacation at the end of June, so we will eat out meals on it. But we got an AirBNB so we will at least do breakfast there.

marble_faun

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2017, 04:34:08 PM »
Just opened the fridge, saw some ground beef and asparagus, and made a delicious garlic/ginger meatball meal!

I've gotten good at improvising my own tasty, one-pan dinners. All you have to do is spice the meat, cook the meat, then sauté some vegetables in the same skillet, maybe adding a little broth.  (Maybe this seems obvious to everyone else... but to me it seemed like an exciting formula to discover.)

The whole process takes maybe 20 minutes. Just enough time to listen to a short podcast. Much less time than waiting on a pizza delivery. And it's healthier, and cheaper than pizza. A win on all counts!
"Time flies pursue it Man. For why? thy days are but a Span."

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
I've been waiting years on pizza delivery. No one comes to our neighborhood!

:)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2017, 02:55:03 AM »
My parents made a last minute road trip change and stopped by to see us on their way too the US Open. Apparently they mean to treat, but since it was counter service it was a bit strange. They picked up DHs drinks though. And the brewery had surprisingly good food.

That brings our tally to:
DH:7.5
Me: 4.5
For others: 5

Parents swing back this way after the open. They will hit us dinner one of the nights and we plan to home cook the dinner we are on the hook for.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2017, 03:14:43 AM »
They're only for special occasions around here. Going out to eat as a group because work colleague is leaving this week, and totally happy to do so.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
$30.56 in May on Restaurants. Not my best month, not my worst. Largely a result of lack of proper meal planning, which hit my grocery bill as well.

I have $130 budgeted for restaurants this month, have spent $4.50 of it. It's so high because I'm traveling to Amsterdam for a work conference for a week, and don't get a per diem unfortunately, though the conference has breakfast & lunch some days.

I love one particular falafel stand in Amsterdam that's affordable and amazing, so that will be a cheap dinner at least twice. I'll need to find something else affordable the other days, which is a tall order in Amsterdam. I'd be happy eating falafel every single night, but I've been informed by my traveling companions they will not be.
Bikes, bowie, and business: using glitter to double my net worth by 30 the journal- with 40 less pages than the old journal!

<$25,000 income, 20% savings rate, traveling from Dublin > Shanghai by ferry/train this September.

My personal finance podcast for millennials (and those who love them)

marble_faun

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »
I've been pretty good about not going to restaurants! 

With the exception of a $5 lunch out once a week -- I stick to the core meal and don't add on any sides or drinks or anything, because that's how The Lunch Man gets ya.

My husband and I did have a special occasion to celebrate, so we went out to the four-dollar-sign Steakhouse in town and pulled out all the stops. I ordered filet mignon and an Old Fashioned. Oh!  How I savored every moment, sitting in the tall leather booth under the dim lights, eating steak and talking.

We only do this kind of thing once a year. And as I've found, eating at restaurants less makes eating at restaurants better. I appreciate the experience more!

Now back to my regularly scheduled leftovers and crockpot meals!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:02:00 PM by marble_faun »
"Time flies pursue it Man. For why? thy days are but a Span."

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »
That brings our tally to:

I got a coupon for mellow mushroom for a free father's day pizza. Even though it was my coupon, we'll call it DH's meal was free (and the beer was on Ibotta.)

So we are up to:
DH:7.5
Me: 5.5

Not bad for being almost halfway through the year and entertaining a ton of guests due to new baby.

Feeling Blessed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »
Count me in!  Does anyone else find that eating out is just a knee jerk habit?  I've been practicing stalling for 10 minutes... look in the frig/freezer.  Pour a little glass of wine.  Think about what you could whip up and how the alternative is driving, waiting, getting low nutrient food, paying too much, more driving.... all of a sudden eating at home looks pretty awesome.  Also, making sure the kids have 'skin in the game'.  When they are begging and I'm trying to change the plan... i occassionally remind them that their dinner out probably costs $20 or we could eat x at home and maybe Mom might have an extra $5 to throw in their stash if we go that route.... i don't use it very often but its really effective when resistance is high.  Also, when traveling, CHEAP EATS.  My town is short on low key cheap eateries but often when traveling, the best restaurants are the off the beaten path ones that trip advisors lists under 'cheap eats'.  So great!

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »
As planned our trip added quite a bit to the tally.
We ate at:
Friday:
Breakfast at home-
Fuddruckers (used a email coupon so only paid for one meal, again, my coupon, but I'll call this 0.5 of a meal for each of us.)
Urban chestnut brewery
Saturday:
McDonalds breakfast (my meal was less than $2, but still eating out)
Cheesecake Factory (ridiculously expensive $70 for the two of us, but it served as lunch, dinner, and then breakfast.)
Sunday:
No eating out

And although we popped a homemade pizza from the freezer into the oven for dinner after getting home, DH wasn't happy with anything for lunch today (we had some canned soup) so will be going to subway, so that's in the tally.

So we are up to:
DH:12
Me: 9

We have a July vacation that will add to this, but I think we are doing okay for the year.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:52:12 AM by iowajes »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
International work trip followed by conference back home, and I need a reset on no eating out.

Spent €79.65 in a week in Amsterdam on eating out, which was frugal for most-meals-out-for-a-week (only a few provided conference meals), but greater spending than the previous three months combined.

I think July will be no eating out at all, though it is my 30th birthday, I think I'm more into a nice meal at home (I'm hosting a huge event the next day and need to conserve energy).
Bikes, bowie, and business: using glitter to double my net worth by 30 the journal- with 40 less pages than the old journal!

<$25,000 income, 20% savings rate, traveling from Dublin > Shanghai by ferry/train this September.

My personal finance podcast for millennials (and those who love them)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
Our city had a free music festival yesterday, so we stopped by to try a new beer and listen to a band (plus got a 5 mile walk in). We ate at the food trucks, so now we are at:

DH:13
Me: 10

This seems like a lot. We have a multi generation family vacation next week so the numbers will likely double. Will probably only do breakfast in...

OurTown

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
Actually, I have not been inside a restaurant in July!  Improvement?  Yes.

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
Re: Restaurants.  It's now customary to tip 20% or more for the meal. I've heard of customers being confronted by management when they left "only" a 25% tip. I have nothing against tipping, but it used to be 15% was customary. So due to the increase, I no longer dine out at sit-down restaurants. That means, of course they don't get my business anymore but I also win because I save a LOT of money this way.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:51:07 PM by Chesleygirl »

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »
WE always tip 20% unless the service is bad or the waiter very rude. In many states the workers only make less then 3/hour so need to make up the salary with tips. Thankfully a few states require them to be paid minimum wage.

Chesleygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »
I don't tip at all because I don't dine out at restaurants.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
Got caught between appts and hadn't packed a sandwich. Spent $2.64 at McDonald's.

DH:13
Me: 11

Week long extended family vacation next week, so I expect this to go up a lot.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2017, 09:20:56 PM »
Hi. I fought the urge to eat out after seeing this. Might do lunch tomorrow that could lead to a new job though.

Keep it up guys!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I didn't proof read.