Author Topic: Stick To a Grocery Budget 2016  (Read 78466 times)

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
Re: Stick To a Grocery Budget 2016
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
I failed to post end-of year stuff for 2015, but I did continue reasonable spending.  :)

For 2016, some adjustments. Increased grocery budget, reduced restaurant budget.

For 2 adults...
Grocery goal: $200/month
Restaurant goal: $50/month

Strategy: Continue baking own bread. Eat more oatmeal for breakfast, less cereal. Buy less ice cream, and make smoothies instead. Develop better strategy for when/where to buy certain items.

I'm looking forward to an Aldi that will be opening soon in our area. Also, I have a new job that feeds me lunch at no cost. These things are not in my control but still help.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
Checking in as it is nearing the end of the month.

I tallied our expenses and we are currently at $425$475 on groceries + eating out.  We have enough food to get through the weekend, so this should be it for the month but we went grocery shopping on Saturday anyway, oops....I say it was worth it as we picked up about 15 lbs of apples (honeycrisp/fuji/granny smiths) for $4.50!  This is more than we were hoping for, but....less than our average for last year.  The main improvement is that we spent $0 on eating out (I thought my husband had gone to breakfast with a friend once, but it turned out they decided to skip it and just go running instead).  We did also tweak our meal plans several times so as to postpone a grocery trip by several days or even a full week (but apparently not during the last week of the month), which I'm sure helped to reduce food waste and prevent impulse buys!  Overall I feel like we ate really well--we made an effort to try out a new (cheap) recipe each week to prevent boredom, which was fun.  Several will be going into our regular rotation (spicy curried spaghetti squash, yum).

This month did include a few "stockups" that we had initially planned to postpone until February (bulk jars of olive oil, nuts, coconut milk, tuna, crazy on sale frozen veggies, etc.), which is why we had such a high total.  We still have a little pre-baby stocking up to do so it may be tricky to keep February spending low, but it is a short month and hey, we do have *most* of the stocking up out of the way.

I did some tracking of food purchased for "now" vs. food purchased for "later", and our "now" food purchases (things that we ate or mostly ate this month) were about $150, so I'm hopeful that we can have a few low months in March/April/May/June (when the plan is to live off the stockpiled foods and only purchase fresh produce and eggs) to balance things out.  I did not track "now" food vs "stockup" purchases last year so I'm not sure if $150/mo is a significant reduction or not, but I'm going to keep a closer eye on this going forwards, just for kicks.  I did look at our spending from places where we don't purchase anything except fresh produce, and our spending at those places alone was a little over $110/month, and we do also fairly consistently go through about $25/mo in eggs, maybe $10/mo on dairy products, and then will pick up produce at the other stores we frequent if it's a good price (so maybe $5-$10/week or $20-50/month?)...I'm going to say that $150 month is at least in the same ballpark as our previous basic spending on food to be eaten within the month of purchase, perhaps even a slight reduction.  Given that we also had no meals out and I had only a few days of work travel, I'd say this is a good sign of progress!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:06:22 AM by cats »

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2016, 01:05:49 PM »
We're over by about $200 this month, but I stocked up on a lot of things. Next month will be an 'eat down the pantry/freezer' month, so I'm hoping to see some definite improvement!

I'll need to pick up some produce tomorrow, but that should be it for the rest of the month.

withbatedbreath

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • sofi link thingy
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:07 PM »
I'm shooting for $200-$250 a month this year for just myself.  I'm also trying to bring lunch to work most days though, so I guess I'll have to adjust for an increase in groceries accordingly.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
Target food spend for 2016: $525/month

The end of the month is today! Had some wins and some fail whales.
A success I had was we went a bit over a week without restaurants-very exciting for us.
Fail Whale- totally went over budget. $57 on Alcohol for entertaining. During the blizzard we bought 2 bottles of wine, a 6 pack of craft beer and 2 cocktails at the conventions hotel with tip!!!  We finished off the 3 bottles of wine we already had stockpiled and had the remnants of like 7 bottles of liquor (there were 4-6 of us drinking over 4 days I promise).
Spent $336 on groceries and $329 on restaurants. Stockpiled at the Asian grocery store I rarely get to and Costco before guests arrived. Still ran out of lots of the staples (bread, juice,Lactaid milk for guests, eggs, frozen waffles, HFCS free jelly, & fresh produce)
January total: $722/$525- Went over by $198. I will definitely need to make up for it in February so I will shoot for $475 this month. I'm definitely going to get the staples I am out of and then try to eat down the house for awhile. I have 4 work provided meals in the next few weeks so that should help. I will definitely challenge the fiance to a no restaurant week again since it worked.

How is everyone doing so far?

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
I'm happy to say that I had a very successful month. Our January 2016 grocery spending was... drum roll please... $177.08!

To be fair, we were away on vacation for one week of the month. Still, this was a good month for us. We did a "freezer audit" and tried to use up some of the older items. I had forgotten how much stuff we had stashed in there, I'm sure we have several months of meat! I also tried to shop for on-sale or seasonal produce only.

I'd like to see if we can carry this trend into February. My goal is going to be $250 for February. We'll continue to eat up the freezer foods and focus on reducing food waste. Good luck to the other participants!

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2016, 09:11:41 PM »
2015 food spending baseline:
~$300 monthly, with $180 on eating out and $120 on groceries
January 2016:
$277 for the month, with $121 on eating out and $169 on groceries

I didn't lower my overall spend as much as I wanted, but I did shift towards making more of my own food. According to my ledger, I had meals out on 20 of the 31 days in the month. For February I'm making a new rule: no eating out on two consecutive days. This should cut the eating out spending by at least 25%, and I'll try not to let the groceries increase at the same time.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2016, 02:48:42 AM »
Going to work on staying in the $300/mo range for two people.  This is a huge drop from where we were last year, but I'm just getting started so I'm hoping I can get better.  Last month I went over to $400, but hopefully this month will be better!!

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2016, 06:37:23 AM »
single dude checking in...

Goals:
455/month for all consumables
347 - grocery (80/week - also includes paper products and toiletries)
43 - alcohol (10/week)
65 - dining out (15/week)

(math may be off due to rounding)

January check-in:
277.17 - grocery (55.43/week (*5 weeks) - also includes paper products and toiletries)
67.35 - alcohol (16.84/week - 4 weeks)
51.73 - dining out (12.93/week - 4 weeks)
Total: 396.25 for all consumables (58.75 under budget)

*i usually grocery shop on saturday or sunday and there were 5 weekends this month

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »
Feb goal...$400. This will be a significant reduction from last month (about half).

Pantry and freezer are stocked. Should only need milk, veggies, etc. Should be doable.....

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2016, 10:02:20 AM »
I'm so thrilled with how I did in January.  It might not be great by others standards but I feel like I can really do this now.  We spent $570, family of 4, 70% organic.  Down from $900 monthly average.  I learned a lot this month and I think I can maintain this.  It will get tricky when I entertain more.  My Feb goal is $475 as we have vacation time in Feb. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »
Family of 4 - I'm trying to get our grocery budget down to $500/month. December went well so we'll see how January goes! A little worried since we're Canadian and as I guessed, grocery prices are increasing. Looks like we might cross the border for our groceries more regularly (like we used to).

End of the month check in!

We were SO close to goal. I was buying meat between CDN$1.29 - $1.99/lb and fruits/veggies under $1.50/lb. I was meal planning based on the weekly ads. I was feeling amazing! Last weekend, I even said we were only grocery shopping for essentials (some fruits/veggies) with the aim to use up our stockpiles since we were at the upper limit of our budget. I even meal planned based on what we had in our fridge/freezer/pantry! Then - I found a good sale on meat and spent $40. Still, I thought that $40 over wasn't too bad. fast forward to this past weekend. I tried REALLY hard - but could not resist looking at the ads (especially since we were hopping over to the US to shop/run errands).

I loaded them up on flipp and found a local grocery store (only 2 locations) that was even cheaper than Aldi's! Chicken thighs for 39cents/lb!!!!! (cheapest prices in Canada was CDN$1.29/lb). Boneless skinless chicken breast was $1.79/lb! (I had just bought that "on a great sale" for CDN$3.99/lb). Even with the exchange rate, these were killer deals. Then we saw frozen turkey for $0.79/lb - not the cheapest, but we couldn't resist the temptation for a turkey feast. $40 later.....

I probably have enough food in my freezer to last 2 months. I'm going to be working on eating our stockpile for the next 2 weeks and see if I can get February's bills down. Told DH I am going to have to stay away from grocery stores (he'll have to shop by himself) and that I WILL NOT LOOK AT ADS!! (or try not to anyway) I'm so week when I see a "deal".

FINAL TOTAL: Approx $600 in January for our family of 4.

Crystal1588

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
I'll join!  Goal is $450/month for all food/household items.  This includes grocery, target/walmart runs and eating out.  We are a family of 4.  2 adults and 2 kids (4 and 1)

We were over for January due to an 8 day vacation (a cruise so not a ton of extra food cost but still) and a kids birthday party but here's our numbers anyways.
Dining out: $168.52
Grocery: $378.82
Target: $13.48

Total: $560.82

February expected expenses are:
Grocery: $350
Dining out: $50
Target: $50

Our high so far was $1080 for just food/household in April of 2015. Our average pre-MMM was around $800 for all food/household related purchases so we've come a long way!

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2016, 09:11:25 PM »
Joining in since one of my goals for this year is actually tracking all of my spending.

Total Food and Beverage goal is $300/month, including:
$150 on groceries
$50 on alcohol
$100 on dining/drinking out

January Check In
$53.32 on groceries
$50.88 on alcohol
$120.10 on dining/drinking out
$224.30 Total

The dining out was particularly high as I took relatives out for a pricey (but amazing) lunch and then a round of drinks at a swanky rooftop bar as a thank you for them for hosting me on a visit.   It struggled with whether those purchases ($103.6) should be classified as travel or dining out, but decided it was best to track it here to keep myself accountable. 

Kenbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2016, 09:16:23 PM »
Since discovering the mustache way I've improved on some areas while not doing much about other areas of my spending.  The end of the year gave me a chance to get serious about nailing down what goes where.  For the most part I save an okay percentage into my 401k and side stash any extra change floating in my checking at the end of each month.  I've never looked at my nonrecurring expenses too hard but had a fairly decent idea of where it was going.  The last quarter I finally started nailing down everything in MINT.  I couldn't believe how much money I was literally eating and drinking away.  My total expenses are probably better than average for a 26 year old male but I know I could be doing so much better.  Especially after guestimating how much I spent on food last year.  My January wasn't much better but I'm going to get serious about things from here on out.  I'll have to start facepunching those excuses out of me and attempt to do more planning and preparing so I can't use the excuse I don't feel like cooking after a 12 hour shift.

January Food Expenses:
400$-  For the curious bunch out there.  Approx- 70$ on store bought groceries and the rest went to restaurants and about half was alcohol/dinner related.
I'd like to think I can easily cut than in half or even 1/4th and not miss out on too much.  Maybe even lose a few pounds eating better and working out.
I always seem to do better when I have something to keep me on track and hold me responsible.  Here's to a better February.

Nancy

« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »
I'm going for average monthly spending of $300 for all food. This is just my spending, not including my DH.

January came in at $171 for all food. Pretty pleased with myself.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
I will definitely need to make up for it in February so I will shoot for $475 this month.[/b][/color] I'm definitely going to get the staples I am out of and then try to eat down the house for awhile. I have 4 work provided meals in the next few weeks so that should help. I will definitely challenge the fiance to a no restaurant week again since it worked.

Checking in with February progress. We went grocery shopping and spend $80 on staples and supplies to get us a couple weeks worth of food aside from fresh produce, or specific ingredients for meals.

We are actually doing really well so far not going to restaurants. I had a pot luck lunch Monday at my office for a boss, Tuesday was a work catered breakfast meeting and Wednesday was a work catered lunch meeting so I had a hot meal each day without cooking or paying for it. I will be going to the gym tonight, my fiance is going tomorrow and we are having company over Saturday for dinner (with ingredients we already have) so we should make it a whole week without eating out! Yay! (While talking to Saturday's guest her response was, "A week or two without eating out is a challenge?" Hehehe for us yes.)

I got invited to a party on Sunday for Puppy Bowl- so I need to bring a pasta salad and fruit platter but, I should be able to get the rest of the supplies for my two dishes for $15 or so.
I need to keep up the momentum! Only 25 days left in February.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »
So my January wrap up:
Family of four - 2 adults, 2 adult size teenagers

Grocery: $307.22
Kids lunch: $150.
Eating out: $17.00
Total $474.22

Kids lunch is out of control. We addressed this just last night.  I have two teenagers who buy lunch at school. Usually I give them $50. each for the month and that works fine. Packing their lunch is not an option for us and we choose to buy. But, it turns out my son is also buying breakfast and using it as social time. Mind you there are plenty of breakfast options at home.

We weren't aware what he was doing until we did the end of the month accounting. Last night he was told no more. We will pay for lunch, that's it. Eat breakfast at home or buy your own. He has a job. He can pay for it if he wants to. I suspect that when it's his own hard earned money he's plunking down for cafeteria breakfast, that he may change his mind.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:00:48 AM by Juslookin »

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2016, 12:18:06 PM »
I am jumping in on this! Groceries have notoriously been the largest sink in my household budget for several years. My husband I both weight lift and track our macronutrients so getting in 355g of protein per day plus fats and carbohydrates can be costly. I also developed a taste for expensive food and was purchasing almost exclusively organic, not paying attention to sales or costs as they varied between stores and wound up spending WAY too much money. I sat down and evaluated just the last two weeks of spending in December and it was really bad. I knew it was getting bad when I started easily spending $400-$500 per week on groceries (and on one occasion more like $600).

The new budget is to spend under $1,000 per month including restaurant and paper products/cleaning supplies/toiletries. Now that is a drastic cut, but we'll be skipping the meals out and dropping organic purchases while focusing on finding sales and cooking through what I already have in the pantry and deep freezer. So far I've spent $531.75 and there are only 12 more days in the month so I should be under budget! As I get better at this I'll work to drop costs here even more so we can get debt payments into over drive and then transition into saving significantly more.

I did a full review of my bank statements and found our cheapest month last year was in September we came in with all food/restaurant/alcohol/coffee/paper products/toiletries at $1300 and that was partly because my husband was out of country and had all his meals paid for. >_< Our most expensive month we spent $3000, and it was over a period where we went on vacation. There is clearly a ton of room for improvement.

January totals
Groceries $839.72
Restaurant $255.11
Alcohol $29.65 (New Year's Eve)
Total $1124.48 --so I missed my goal of $1000 by $124.48 but this is the lowest our bill has been in well over a year so it's still a mini success.

February Goals
Groceries $400
Restaurant $200 (DH's birthday)
Alcohol $50 (DH's birthday)
Total $650 --this is a massive goal and is going to take some work, but we have a serious stock in the freezer and pantry and DH is finally on board with decreasing costs so his birthday may not be too extravagant (unlike last year where we went on a ski trip for the weekend)

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »
I am jumping in on this! Groceries have notoriously been the largest sink in my household budget for several years. My husband I both weight lift and track our macronutrients so getting in 355g of protein per day plus fats and carbohydrates can be costly. I also developed a taste for expensive food and was purchasing almost exclusively organic, not paying attention to sales or costs as they varied between stores and wound up spending WAY too much money. I sat down and evaluated just the last two weeks of spending in December and it was really bad. I knew it was getting bad when I started easily spending $400-$500 per week on groceries (and on one occasion more like $600).

The new budget is to spend under $1,000 per month including restaurant and paper products/cleaning supplies/toiletries. Now that is a drastic cut, but we'll be skipping the meals out and dropping organic purchases while focusing on finding sales and cooking through what I already have in the pantry and deep freezer. So far I've spent $531.75 and there are only 12 more days in the month so I should be under budget! As I get better at this I'll work to drop costs here even more so we can get debt payments into over drive and then transition into saving significantly more.

I did a full review of my bank statements and found our cheapest month last year was in September we came in with all food/restaurant/alcohol/coffee/paper products/toiletries at $1300 and that was partly because my husband was out of country and had all his meals paid for. >_< Our most expensive month we spent $3000, and it was over a period where we went on vacation. There is clearly a ton of room for improvement.

January totals
Groceries $839.72
Restaurant $255.11
Total $1124.48 --so I missed my goal of $1000 by $124.48 but this is the lowest our bill has been in well over a year so it's still a mini success.

February Goals
Groceries $400
Total $650 --this is a massive goal and is going to take some work, but we have a serious stock in the freezer and pantry and DH is finally on board with decreasing costs so his birthday may not be too extravagant (unlike last year where we went on a ski trip for the weekend)

I'm genuinely curious, what groceries do you buy that cost $1300 a month or even $840 a month? Are there more people in your household than just you and your spouse? Are you buying organic food or in a HCOL area? What are the typical prices you are paying for things? I hope I don't come off as rude, I'm just interested.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2016, 09:56:23 PM »
The grocery budget has been easy to stick to, but I keep eating out thanks to my ridiculous work schedule.  12 hour shifts, 3-4 days in a row makes things hard!!!

Going to try to do some cooking Monday and Tuesday that can be used as frozen meals at work to cut down on this issue.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
Our average was $650/month for a family of 4 (kids are tiny still - 4.5 and 2) last year and I'd like to get that down to $600.

January was great. Down to $400 or so for the month. Must re look at my spending file. Eating out of the stash. Hope February will be good as well.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2016, 10:28:04 PM »
The first week of Feb was an odd one as I didn't do a proper grocery shop so we either ate out or ate from the pantry or grabbed a couple of things at the store. All up $176 on food & alcohol and well under my $250/week target.

This week's grocery shop worked out at $99.67. We'll need to get a bit extra in there for lunches and have left a meal off the plan which will probably be a nice meal out but still looking to come in well under the $250/week target again.

I've cut out alcohol during the week again which makes a huge difference both to how I feel and the budget.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2016, 11:43:16 PM »
I'm in!  Just late posting...

Our household is 2 adults / 2 elementary-age kids. Our grocery budget is just that - food & beverages only. It includes food we eat out because we didn't plan ahead and bring our meals / snacks, but not planned dinners out (which for us counts as part of our entertainment budget).

Goal is $500/month.

January was apocalyptic. Over $1000. At least $200 of this was due to the fact that we were in a vacation rental and bought groceries for all 9 people for several meals, but still.

One week in to February and we're already at $200. $70 of this was a bulk purchase of specialty flours to make gluten-free bread as my bf was just diagnosed with celiac and since we have family dinner weekly I want to figure out some bread and roll recipes that work for her.

Still, clearly we have our work cut out for us.

On the plus side, did a bunch of food prep today so we'll have great fixings for meals all week, including a wonderful bean soup for dinner that incorporated the leftover pot roast from last Thursday's dinner.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2016, 07:43:33 AM »
Well, it's a good news bad news kind of post for me today.  We are two adults two adult size teens.  Last month was stellar for us, only $457.22 of our $900. budget.

This month we have already spent $793.50. Uggg. That's the bad news. Good news is that although I am disappointed about that we were out of so many basic things. Rice, quinoa, spices, nuts, oatmeal, frozen veggies etc. I also did some bulk cooking. Put about 20 ready to go meals in the freezer, turkey pot pie, crockpot dump Italian chicken, chicken Marsala. So my spending and prepping will last us into March.

So I am pretty sure I can stick to $900 this month and than next month I am shooting for another stellar month. If it works out that way I'll be pretty happy. 

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2016, 08:46:33 AM »
Checking in for February:

-We have spent $100 to date, this includes meeting up with some friends for drinks over the weekend (so a little eating out).  It also includes getting our freezer stuffed to the gills with cheese & salmon (husband found a deal where it worked out to $2/lb, but you had to buy about 10 lbs).
-I'm anticipating that we will be spending about $100 to finish our pre-baby stockup (mainly tea, canned tomatoes, almonds, and assorted rice & lentils).

So that leaves us with $100-$200 to finish out the month if we're going to get back down towards the $300-400/month goal.  This weekend I got all our fresh produce + eggs for the week for under $20, which was awesome.  So I think we can definitely take care of our own basics for the remainder of the month for under $100.  Next weekend we have a guest visiting and the weekend after that we are having a small dinner party for some of my husband's school friends who live in the area, so that will likely drive costs up a bit as we do like to get some slightly fancier groceries for guests.

Crystal1588

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2016, 11:12:13 AM »

February check in:
So far, we are at $184.47.
$18.42 for household ($31.58 left in budget)
$38.99 for eating out ($11 left in budget)
$127.06 for groceries ($222.94 left in budget)

My husband bought lunch for his team at work, which definitely sank our eating out budget, but we should be able to come in under the other budgets. So far, so good.

Nancy

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2016, 07:10:11 AM »
Did a bulk coffee buy this month, which severely cuts into my grocery budget. We have a lot of staples in the house, so I'm going to try and make it happen within budget.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »

January totals
Groceries $839.72
Restaurant $255.11

February Goals
Groceries $400

I'm genuinely curious, what groceries do you buy that cost $1300 a month or even $840 a month? Are there more people in your household than just you and your spouse? Are you buying organic food or in a HCOL area? What are the typical prices you are paying for things? I hope I don't come off as rude, I'm just interested.

It's just me and my spouse, we live in a HCOL (California) and we were purchasing almost exclusively organic plus a lot of convenience type items like protein bars. We are both weight lifters and track our macro nutrient intakes. In order to get 160g of protein for me and 195g of protein for him daily with lower levels of carbohydrates (~200g or less for each of us) we eat a lot of eggs, dairy, and meat. Organic chicken and beef run approximately $5/lb.

In order to drop costs I cut out organic and tried to limit some of the convenience purchases, but there's still room to improve. I also stocked up on some discount meat so we still have quite a bit on hand. Here is a slightly more itemized list of spending for January (a small amount is unaccounted, I'm missing a receipt)
Water:$23.85 (our housing area(including our work locations) went under a "boil water advisory" for over a week so we purchased bottled to get by)
Supplements: $26
Meat: $151.42
Eggs: $23.48
Dairy: $81.93
Produce: $123.18
Grains/Legumes/Bread/Cereal: $35.98
Canned Goods/Condiments: $51.12
Frozen Pizza: $10
Protein Bars/Powder: $96.15
Beverages(coffee, club soda): $52.44
Toiletries: $15.28
Cleaning: $14.24
Office Supplies: $48.40

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2016, 06:30:45 AM »
I was doing so well in January, but then on the few days I visited my SO and I bought groceries for him. It ended up being over $90 for that one trip, which kind of freaked me out. Anyway, my total grocery amount was $205 and eating out was $49, so that's $254 on food in January. I'll probably be over for Feb as well, but I have done some stocking up so I'm not too worried about it.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2016, 11:01:40 AM »
For 2 adults...
Grocery goal: $200/month
Restaurant goal: $50/month
For 2 adults... January.
Grocery spending/goal: $159/$200
Restaurant spending/goal: $64/$50

Free food at work is helping...

Crystal1588

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »

February check in:
So far, we are at $184.47.
$18.42 for household ($31.58 left in budget)
$38.99 for eating out ($11 left in budget)
$127.06 for groceries ($222.94 left in budget)

My husband bought lunch for his team at work, which definitely sank our eating out budget, but we should be able to come in under the other budgets. So far, so good.

So it's not going quite as well as I'd like but it is due to buying 3 months worth of diapers @ $.11 each (my stock up price is $.14 each) as well as some bulk products (toilet paper etc) that I only buy about every 6 months.

at the halfway mark, I'm at:
Grocery: $217.51 ($132.49 left in budget)
Household: $118.17 ($68.17 over budget)
Eating out: $50.61 ($.61 over budget)

Hoping to come in under budget for groceries so it's not a complete bust.

How's everyone else doing?

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »
We're good, at about $150 and halfway through.  This includes most of the remaining pre-baby stock up and a guest visiting for the weekend.  Remaining is a small amount of baby stock up and a dinner party for some school friends, I think I have the amounts we're likely to spend on each of those pretty well pegged and we have a good chance at coming in under $300, should DEFINITELY come in under $400.  So this month is very much on track!

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
Late to the party, but I'm in, with a 2016 goal of $6000, or $500/month

2 adults, southern Ontario
Actual 2015 Food & Dining: $7509 or 625.75/month (groceries $4531)
Actual 2014 Food & Dining: $7821 of 651.75/month (groceries $4685)

Includes all groceries, restaurants, takeout, plus work-reimbursed meals. Does not include alcohol not consumed with a restaurant meal, pet food, paper or cleaning supplies. (for the comparison by those who include alcohol we spent $636 on alcohol in 2015)

2016 January Actual Total:     $549.75, Groceries $345.70; Restaurants 204.05
2016 February  to date:         $428.56, Groceries $221.49; Restaurants 207.07

I'm going to try to get through Feb with only one more grocery shop, and keep that below $100.

citrustea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
I am a bit late to post but am really trying to limit our grocery spending.
We are a family of 4, with 2 month old not eating food yet obviously but
I am so hungry I feel very much like I am eating for her too while breastfeeding.
My aim is $800AUD per month.
In Jan we spent $950 so not successful yet. I felt that we conversely spent more while trying to cut back as bought some bulk items as well as multiples of things on special. 
I am including everything we spend at the supermarket so personal items etc not truly just essential grocery items. It's too much work to go through every receipt to separate non grocery items.

So far for Feb we have spent over $700 so not sure we will make it for Feb either. But our cupboard is pretty chockers with rice/pasta/tins of tuna(??) and have meat in the freezer too so we should truly be
able to get true essentials and fruit/veg.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »
I am so hungry I feel very much like I am eating for her too while breastfeeding.
Essentially you are.

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »
Checking in halfway through February and we're not doing as well as I'd hoped. Total spending so far is $226.39. We blew the budget on Valentine's Day, when we had some good friends over and splurged on an expensive (and delicious) cut of beef. If I'm still hoping to stay under $250 for the month, we'll have to buckle down. We have the food on hand for meals up until Sunday at least. If we can keep our perishables purchases under $25 for the following week, we might be able to make it...

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2016, 07:43:13 PM »
citrustea- apparently breastfeeding burns a ton of calories so all of my friends breastfeeding have reported as "ravenous" quite often (they produce a lot of milk) so you're eating will probably be higher during the breastfeeding stage. Also I had to think about *chockers* I figured it is slang for "chock full of." :)

cats- great job staying on track and prepping for the new addition to your family. Congrats on the teeny baby mustachian in the making!

Crystal- great stock up deal!

Progress:
Just got back from a huuuuge stock up at ShopRite. :)
FEBRUARY GOAL: $475. As of 2/17 We've spent: $246 Groceries, $92 Restaurants, $0 Alcohol for Entertaining =  $338!!!]
12 days left in the month! I need to stay away from Restaurants the next 2 weeks as much as possible. Like iknowiyam I actually get work provided meals which helps. I am getting 3 meals catered this week at this office so that will definitely help.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »
The groceries this month has cost $89.70 for my husband and myself.

We didn't actually spend this much,  because we had $19.31 in coupons
and $11.32 in store incentives (points)

out of pocket was actually $59.07

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2016, 04:50:46 PM »
Okay, all the "big" purchases for the month are done--hosting, pantry stock up items, etc.  We're on track for

Big question is now whether we have enough vegetables to make it through to the end of February.  If yes, then this might be our total for the month, if no, then it might go up by $15-25.

So right now we're averaging $425/month, which is over our target budget, but...less than last year, and should be going down in the next couple of months.

Also, I have a bit of an accounting conundrum.  We recently completed a challenge that resulted in a $200 gift certificate to a local grocery store.  Yay! Should I attempt to account for this in any way in tracking my grocery spending?  This store is, frankly, quite a bit pricier/more upmarket than any of our usual haunts, so "$200" there is probably equivalent to "$100" elsewhere.  I'm leaning towards just not counting it in...I mean, if I were to use a coupon to get $1 off an item I wouldn't account it as price paid + $1, right?  Given the fancy nature of the grocery store I am thinking the most sensible use of the gift certificate is to save for when we are having guests and use it to get some fancy party snacks or something (need to check the GCs to make sure they don't have a fast-approaching expiration date...)

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
Family size: two active adults, one 6yo. One of the adults is a distance runner, who burns btw 3-4k calories/day. Everyone gets packed lunches, etc.

The "Grocery" totals include all groceries, alcohol, toiletries, household extras, etc.

2013 (Pre MMM) - grocery avg $780/mo,
2014 - grocery avg $651/mo
2015 - grocery avg $672/mo - with the caveat that we hosted 6 extra adult family members for ~5 weeks of the year. If I take out the extra family hosting, we spent $548/mo avg on groceries.

Target for this year: $550/mo inclusive of any hosting friends/family.  Extra gold stars if we can do $500/mo for Groceries.

We're at $443 for groceries (with a target of only spending $30 - $40 more on fruit and milk top ups between now and Feb 1).  Doing better than I thought after restocking a lot of household goods like TP, etc. We make our own bulk laundry soap about once every 9 months and recently had to buy all those ingredients at ~$40.  Desperately trying to stay under $500!

Checking in for Feb:
January was just under $500
Feb is at $517, inclusive of a Costco run for basics - so I'm pretty happy with 2016 thus far.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »
Our average was $650/month for a family of 4 (kids are tiny still - 4.5 and 2) last year and I'd like to get that down to $600. not much of a decrease, but here in Canada there are lots of media reports of groceries going up a lot this year. Seen cauliflower at $6/head recently! Really going to focus on eating down our pantry and freezer and then sale shopping and price matching. Price matching saves about $10-15 per shop.

So far doing really good, but most of that was due to eating out of the pantry.

$373 for January
$385 for February. Could maybe make it till the end of the month, but should get groceries before back at work on monday. So Feb will likely be around 500. Maybe more, as I'm suddenly wondering if that includes my last costco run... hmmm.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2016, 11:21:46 PM »
Two adults in mid 30's, no kids. We are active, so we do need calories.

In 2014, we were spending about $650 on groceries and $200 on alcohol and restaurants for a grand total of $850. We were working a lot and just found Costco. I went a little Costco crazy and ended up throwing a lot of stuff out. In 2015, we were closer to $800 for everything. In 2016 the goal is $650/month for groceries and alcohol and another $100 for restaurants. I know that we are a little high, but we buy a lot of organic food and eat really well. 

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »
I'm joining this gauntlet, a bit late, because my groceries for this year have been much higher than I've hoped: $165/month instead of $125/month. Time to get cracking on some responsible consumption.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »
My goal for groceries and food is under $1000/month or $250/week (Australia). It should be very easy but I have months of bad habits to break.
Week 1 for me (two people Australia):
$90 on grocery
$50 alcohol (I know)
$50 eating out (breakfast on the weekend... I know)

Total $190. Well within budget as we managed to cook at home every night and take leftovers for lunch. There are a few obvious places for improvement though...
Almost to the end of the month and we are at $978.

We had family come and stay including a long weekend away, the result of which is $138 in alcohol for the month, $250 in take away work lunches (when we take lunch it is leftovers but our guests were eating all the leftovers) & $235 in dining out (again treating our guests).

I'll do some groceries before the month is out but considering we had guests in town I think we've done reasonably well.

edit: I went back and looked at what we were spending in 2010 and it was in the $400-$500/month range, by 2012 it was $500-$600/month and then in 2014 we were over $1000/month.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:34:46 PM by pancakes »

citrustea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2016, 04:47:28 AM »
Firstly - to SuperSaver - yes chockers was short for chock-full, or chock-a-block full. Never really thought about it before, but probably a weird abbreviation.

So, checking in for our Feb spend. We came in at about $850, which is over my $800 goal, but right on the $850 that I budgeted on YNAB to be realistic.
Hoping to do better for March, and we have made some changes which hopefully will be lasting, and keep costs down. We are getting better at menu planning, and DH is getting on side with this. He has been reluctant for a long time, as for him menu planning meant the same boring meals on a recurring basis. I have slowly demonstrated that it can be a variety of meals, and even new recipes which is what we are doing. I am getting better at some different quick and easy meals.
We are also baking bread now. I found a recipe which is super easy and the bread is actually light and fluffy, not solid and heavy, which is what other home bread I have made has been like. We bought a big bag of proper flour too, which probably helps. I have yet to work out how much it is costing per loaf to make, but we were probably spending close to $10 per week on bread, so if we can keep up the baking it should be less than this.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »
Thanks for explaining citrustea!!! :D

Target food spend for 2016: $525/month
Went over $198 in January... I will definitely need to make up for it in February so I will shoot for $475 this month.

Checking in for End of FEBRUARY! I am awesome!!!! Restaurants: $185 Groceries: $254 and Alcohol for Hosting: $0. Total: $439
That is $86 below my monthly goal and even $36 below the stretch goal. We did fantastic all month and wound up going out last night to a  nice meal out. We totally redeemed outselves this month. Hope for a repeat in March.

March plans: My company is feeding me 4 meals this month so far- this is great. A challenge I face is I am hosting a Lolita tea party for 6-8 so I will need to keep our groceries low to accommodate all the fancy foods. Guests are all bringing tea since I don't actually drink it, and  this way everyone gets a variety to try on the cheap. Stretch goal: $475 again.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »
2015 food spending baseline:
~$300 monthly, with $180 on eating out and $120 on groceries
January 2016:
$277 for the month, with $121 on eating out and $169 on groceries

Due to reimbursements, large stock-up purchases, and the like, I think I will just do a running average from now on.
January-February 2016:
$227/month with $116 on eating out and $111 on groceries.

My average fell by a lot this month - the eating out was lowered slightly, but the groceries was lowered drastically. I ate my cheap go-to meals a lot this month (pasta, yellow rice with lentils, homemade frozen burritos) and that made a big difference.

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2016, 08:04:09 PM »
Geez I spent just under $350 this month on food.

Though my *overall* spending this month was significantly lower than January, so I'm still going to consider this a win.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »
Checking in for February because I'm in this gauntlet for real in March!

Groceries: $166.72
Booze at home: $29.45
Restaurants: $23.00
Bars*: $66.75
--------------------------------
Total Booze/Food: $285.92

January was $324.54 (travel for a wedding made the restaurants high) - so I am down 12% this month. But can get this total under $225 in March I think!

*(This is high because of a week long remote training where the last 4 hours of the training were working from the hotel bar every night...argh. Whiskey was nearly essential to that experience though.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!