Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 315262 times)

TrMama

Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #800 on: May 14, 2019, 11:13:09 PM »
Weather can be wet enough to not bike?

That's the attitude I need to develop.

Probably shouldn't bike through floodwaters, though. For example.

Biking in wet weather just means you're already partly showered when you arrive at your destination. It's a a time saver really.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #801 on: May 15, 2019, 06:52:30 AM »

Biking in wet weather just means you're already partly showered when you arrive at your destination. It's a a time saver really.

If it wasn't for rain, my cycling caps would never get washed!

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #802 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »

Depends on if the floodwaters are moving rapidly or not...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: May 15, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
There was the slightest of sprinkles today and suddenly all the other bikers disappeared off the road. Bunch of silly gooses.

That said, I looked in the mirror after changing my clothes at work and saw that my face and chest were covered in tiny mud splatters like a bunch of new freckles. Looks like I need to get myself some fenders!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #804 on: May 15, 2019, 05:58:31 PM »
That was an adventure.

I got an auto email from work saying I had a package delivered for me in a different build a good distance away. So I got on my bike to head over. I hit a poorly-filled trench in the middle of an intersection from a bunch of construction going on in the area that popped my chain off. I pulled over and started yanking on that sucker to get it back on and completely failed. I got grease all over my hands and got the chain completely stuck to the point I couldn't physically pull it out of where it was wedged.

I walked to the bike maintenance area and sweet talked them into helping, even though they are only supposed to work on work-owned bike. Even they had trouble. They finally fixed me up, I got back on, went to the building to check on my package.

There was no package for me. I later inquired about it and was told it was a system bug sending out bad information.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #805 on: May 15, 2019, 08:02:05 PM »
That was an adventure.

I got an auto email from work saying I had a package delivered for me in a different build a good distance away. So I got on my bike to head over. I hit a poorly-filled trench in the middle of an intersection from a bunch of construction going on in the area that popped my chain off. I pulled over and started yanking on that sucker to get it back on and completely failed. I got grease all over my hands and got the chain completely stuck to the point I couldn't physically pull it out of where it was wedged.

I walked to the bike maintenance area and sweet talked them into helping, even though they are only supposed to work on work-owned bike. Even they had trouble. They finally fixed me up, I got back on, went to the building to check on my package.

There was no package for me. I later inquired about it and was told it was a system bug sending out bad information.

TLDR - I learned about bike maintenance and got some exercise today!  :P

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: May 17, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
Hadn't seen it mentioned, but this Friday is Bike to Work Day: https://www.bikeleague.org/content/bike-month-dates-events-0.

I bike roughly two-thirds of the time to the bus stop (a little more than a mile each way), but for Friday I'm psyching myself up to ride the 23 miles to work for the first time (whether or not I ride back or take the bus is TBD). Helps that there are goodies being offered along the way in my city. Hope to see a large Mustachian turnout on Friday.

21 miles into work this morning was surprisingly more pleasant than I expected (though it might be related to the use of padded underwear for the first time). I may just make this an every-other-week thing (and probably ride the bus home).

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #807 on: May 20, 2019, 09:11:36 AM »
I got grease all over my hands

Keep a couple of disposable surgical gloves on your bike.  Makes these kind of moments a lot cleaner! 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #808 on: May 20, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »
Ventured out last Friday for free breakfast on our local bike to work holiday. Along the way I discovered a previously unknown (to me) path branch that allows me to do another 1.5 miles on the trail and exit later / closer to work. This allows me to avoid biking those 1.5 mi on the Scary In Town Highway that google maps had me use upon exiting the path. The new route only adds 0.5 mi to my route.

Felt pretty excited and utilized it today, logging 11.2 mi round trip. The weather was great too!

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #809 on: May 21, 2019, 04:57:57 PM »
What do you guys eat to keep up your energy?
Lately I’ve had no energy and I think it’s because I’m not eating enough or the right stuff.

I bike 12 miles round trip 5 days a week and go to the gym about 4 days a week.
I’ve been having a bowl of oatmeal with almond milk and a banana when I wake up, then 2 hard boiled eggs and a banana at work, then after I get home from the gym I’ll have something different for dinner.

I’ve thrown in an 8 oz whey protein shake at work which helps me stay not ravenous while at work.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #810 on: May 21, 2019, 07:22:56 PM »
You just need to try what works for you.  If you're new to cycling, you will likely not be eating enough.  I've found that it's takes a little over a thousand calories extra each day for my 22 mile round trip commute.  Less than that and I'll lose weight and be cranky.  This means that I plan a much bigger lunch most days when cycling in, and always bring some extra fruit (bananas, apples, pears, oranges, mangoes, kiwi, etc.).  I also keep some dry granola type cereal and chia seeds at my desk all the time in case emergency hunger comes up.

As far as what to eat . . . carbs!  Brown rice, pasta, sweet potato, legumes, oats, or similar should make up a good sized chunk of your lunch, along with vegetables if you're looking for energy.  Fatty foods like seeds and nuts will help keep you feeling full for longer.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #811 on: May 21, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
I’ve been cycling regularly for about 13 months now but only commuting for 4.
That’s a good idea to keep some food in the office.
I’m going to try having some chicken salad (with pasta) for lunch and see if that helps.

I’m overweight by (I estimate) around 50 pounds so the weight loss is certainly welcome. Just need the energy.

Going to bike (19 miles round trip :D) to the grocery store tomorrow and see what I can find.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: May 21, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »
Don't burn as many calories since I e-bike, but still ends up around 300-350 calories for the 13-14 mile round trip, and I do find myself needing an extra 'bike meal.'  Generally I will eat a bowl of cereal + oats + banana with milk right after getting home and that sets me straight.  Economical and carb-heavy. 

During the day I do eat a lot at my desk, but that's because I lift weights instead of taking a lunch break and then eat at my desk (protein shake + granola bars + nuts).

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: May 22, 2019, 07:00:03 AM »

As far as what to eat . . . carbs!

As a counterpoint, I followed MMM into low-carb land a few years ago, and it seems to work for me. I typically don't eat much if anything before or during a long sustained workout (whether a 20-mile bike ride or 4,000-ft mountain ascent), and I can go hours afterwards without feeling especially hungry. I will make up those calories come dinnertime, but the hunger pangs don't really exist like they used to.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: May 22, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »
My bike commute isn't as long as some of yours, but I find it useful to keep a jar of peanut butter at my desk. I usually have either a banana or an apple with me as a snack every day, so if I feel like I'm extra hungry I just throw a tablespoon of PB on it & that's a nice boost. I used to keep trail mix but I lack the self control to eat a reasonable portion haha.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #815 on: May 22, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »
Lately I’ve had no energy and I think it’s because I’m not eating enough or the right stuff.

I bike 12 miles round trip 5 days a week and go to the gym about 4 days a week.
I’ve been having a bowl of oatmeal with almond milk and a banana when I wake up, then 2 hard boiled eggs and a banana at work, then after I get home from the gym I’ll have something different for dinner.

I’ve thrown in an 8 oz whey protein shake at work which helps me stay not ravenous while at work.
I commute a similar distance, 11 miles per day if I take the shortest route each way. No serious elevation (like 200ft).

Typically I'll ride fasted in the morning. Drink a glass of water and go out the door.
Breakfast = Cereal, oatmeal, pastries, or a banana
Lunch = Sandwich & chips, a frozen meal, or leftovers
Snack = Granola bar, found chocolate
Dinner = Leftovers, pasta, stir fry, quiche, pizza (too many options)

Sometimes I add a longer ride after work... 18 miles with 1000ft climbing. I don't really adjust what I eat unless I'm going to be riding for more than an hour(means I'll fill up the water bottle and bring granola bars.)

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #816 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
You'll want to eat some carbs and protein to keep up energy even if you do want to burn some fat. Just keep the calories replaced lower the the calories burned (it should only take eating 10-30% of the calories burned to keep your energy levels up if you have body fat to burn).

TrMama

« Reply #817 on: May 22, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »
My office stocks fancy pants chocolate milk in the office fridge. On days I feel extra hungry in the afternoon, I have a glass of that.

The 585

« Reply #818 on: May 28, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
I sold my car a couple weeks ago and just started my first day of bike commuting. My commute is just over 8 miles one way, majority being on a paved bike trail.

However, I need some advice. I use a waterproof roll-top backback to carry my clothes (dress shoes, pants, shirt, undershirt, underwear, socks, tie, watch, belt), lunch box, phone, wallet, and body-cleaning wipes and deodorant. I know most people use racks and pannier bags, but I didn't want to always have the racks on my road bike.

But my main issue is with the logistics of changing clothes. What's the best way to store all my dress clothes in the bag without wrinkling them? Also, what do you guys do with your sweaty biking clothes while at work? I have no place to hang them out to dry, so they get balled up and end up stinking. Then I put on the same smelly clothes for the ride back home. Is there any way to mitigate this? The ride to work isn't so bad, because it's before 6 AM and the sun hasn't yet come up, but the ride home in the 90+ degree humid weather can get pretty brutal.

As always, any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #819 on: May 28, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »
I sold my car a couple weeks ago and just started my first day of bike commuting. My commute is just over 8 miles one way, majority being on a paved bike trail.

However, I need some advice. I use a waterproof roll-top backback to carry my clothes (dress shoes, pants, shirt, undershirt, underwear, socks, tie, watch, belt), lunch box, phone, wallet, and body-cleaning wipes and deodorant. I know most people use racks and pannier bags, but I didn't want to always have the racks on my road bike.

But my main issue is with the logistics of changing clothes. What's the best way to store all my dress clothes in the bag without wrinkling them? Also, what do you guys do with your sweaty biking clothes while at work? I have no place to hang them out to dry, so they get balled up and end up stinking. Then I put on the same smelly clothes for the ride back home. Is there any way to mitigate this? The ride to work isn't so bad, because it's before 6 AM and the sun hasn't yet come up, but the ride home in the 90+ degree humid weather can get pretty brutal.

I attended this lecture years ago on how to pack a suitcase for travel and the person advised rolling your clothes together to reduce wrinkling. I’ve used that pretty successfully when traveling overseas (back when I still owned stuff that could wrinkle, that is). So take your pants and shirt and lay them on top of each other flat, throw in socks and knickers and whatnot, maybe fold in half for size, and then roll that whole thing up like a burrito.

I’ve hung my biking stuff to dry over my filling cabinet or on the back of my chair at work after particularly rainy days. I’ve also just left them hanging on a shelf in the ladies’ room. Can you just commander some space like that?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #820 on: May 28, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »

I attended this lecture years ago on how to pack a suitcase for travel and the person advised rolling your clothes together to reduce wrinkling. I’ve used that pretty successfully when traveling overseas (back when I still owned stuff that could wrinkle, that is). So take your pants and shirt and lay them on top of each other flat, throw in socks and knickers and whatnot, maybe fold in half for size, and then roll that whole thing up like a burrito.

I’ve hung my biking stuff to dry over my filling cabinet or on the back of my chair at work after particularly rainy days. I’ve also just left them hanging on a shelf in the ladies’ room. Can you just commander some space like that?

+1  on rolling stuff.

Lay pants and shirt flat, put socks, undies, and undershirt in the middle.  Roll the pants and shirt around them.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #821 on: May 29, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »

Some of those things you're carrying every day - could you leave them at work?  Leave dress shoes, several ties, watch, belt, and free up some space in your backpack, perhaps for an extra set of biking clothes?  Maybe a large, sealing bag to hold the dirty clothes and avoid stinking up the place?

Also agree with the rolling comments.  I do avoid many of these challenges since I use an e-bike, go to work very early like you, and live in coastal CA; I save my sweating for the ride home.

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #822 on: May 29, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »
I got some of those plastic command hooks and fixed a few of them up under my desk.  My bike shorts and sports bra hang to dry down there.  You can't see them unless you're really looking.  My shirt dries on my coat hook.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #823 on: May 29, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
My current job is super casual so I don't have to worry about wrinkly clothes, but at my last job I did. I had another obligation after work one day a week that required driving in on those days, so I used that as an opportunity to bring in the next week's worth of shirts and such without them getting messed up. It required a little bit of forethought but wasn't a huge burden to work around.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: May 29, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »
I understand not wanting a rack on a road back, but you'll be WAY less sweaty if you get those clothes off your back. I've never tried them, but I wonder if the seat mounted bike racks might work for your use case & let you throw a pannier on. It's incredible how much more comfortable I am riding without that stuff on my back.

TrMama

« Reply #825 on: May 29, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »
I understand not wanting a rack on a road back, but you'll be WAY less sweaty if you get those clothes off your back. I've never tried them, but I wonder if the seat mounted bike racks might work for your use case & let you throw a pannier on. It's incredible how much more comfortable I am riding without that stuff on my back.

This. Even fancy pants road bikes can have racks mounted to them. https://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks/streamliner-racks/streamliner-road-dlx/ You'll get way less sweaty and your back will thank you in the long run.

I commuted for years on a compact framed carbon road bike with my gear in a messenger bag. My back did not appreciate it and let me know in no uncertain terms last fall that the situation could not continue. Now I ride a basic hybrid commuter with a rack like a proper commuter. My body is happier and I can haul all kinds of crap in the panniers with no real effect on my body. Ironically, I also ride way more now because the hybrid is an older model with a beat up frame, so I feel safe leaving it locked up just about anywhere.

Another great thing to do is to leave whatever you can at work. My shoes, belt and a pair of jeans get left behind. The jeans get switched out once/week so I'm not hauling them everyday.

Your riding clothes need to air out during the day. I like the command hooks idea (use them myself to hang my towel in the shower room), but you could even just drape them over your bag or the frame of your bike.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #826 on: May 29, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »
I went from using a rack with panniers to a backpack, and much prefer the backpack.  A good backpack with a chest and waist strap doesn't move at all while you're riding, and is quite comfortable.

Yes, the backpack is warmer in the summer.  By the time I get to work I'm sweaty regardless of what method of holding stuff I use, so that doesn't really matter to me.  Warmer is actually kinda nice in the winter, spring, and fall when it's colder.  Stuff carried in panniers is jostled more than stuff carried on your back . . . so if you're concerned about that work laptop, the backpack is the way to go.  You can haul all sorts of crap with panniers . . . but I've found over the years that the less I haul the better.  Using a backpack and keeping the weight on your back encourages you to be less wasteful and to really pare down the stuff that you carry to the minimum.  Panniers also stick out from your bike and create some noticeable drag . . . having your stuff behind you is better aerodynamically, which means you don't have to work as hard (or you go faster for the same effort).

Your balance on the bike is better with a backpack.  Panniers add weight to the frame in a weird way, and throwing the bike from side to side while climbing feels scary with them attached.  Because panniers add weight to the frame, they're harder on your frame and wheels when you go over bumps . . . with a backpack you can change your weighting much more easily.  Bunny hopping a bike with panniers is somewhere between difficult and impossible.  It's easy to bunny hop with a backpack.  Your bike is lighter without a rack.  If you're going for a fast ride on the weekend there's no futzing around taking the rack off.  There's no fussing around with clipping/unclipping panniers and awkwardly carrying them around (and the carry strap is always a bit awkward) . . . you just walk away from the bike.  I've also taken to clipping my rear lights to my bag . . . which means that I don't have to unclip/pull off multiple lights every time I go to lock up.

I've got nothing against panniers and they're a viable alternative, but there are a lot of little reasons that keep me from using mine very often for commuting.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #827 on: May 29, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
My husband has a rear-mounted basket where he puts his backpack and (on the way home), dinner. I’d really like one also to get the backpack off of my back, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #828 on: May 29, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »
Totally valid arguments @GuitarStv --I still think it's worth experimenting with both methods to see what works for each person. I felt like a new woman the first time I biked with a pannier. But, I also tend to carry a lot of stuff with me, so maybe that's part of the difference.

I do notice the balance thing occasionally, especially if I come out of my saddle to climb (the only) hill on my commute, but I've mostly gotten used to it. And I've never bothered taking my rack off. I tend to ride with a pannier even if I'm just going on a fitness ride because it's nice to have extra layers & snacks.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #829 on: May 29, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »
Panniers also stick out from your bike and create some noticeable drag . . . having your stuff behind you is better aerodynamically, which means you don't have to work as hard (or you go faster for the same effort).

They also make your frame wider behind you where you can't see them, so you have to be more careful that you've left enough space when passing, say, a fire hydrant sticking into the trail. Ask me how I know.

I enjoyed my pannier for the month before I broke the mounting hooks that way. Now I bungee-net my backpack to a rear rack, because I hate the feeling that I can't fully expand my lungs when I'm wearing the backpack. I am re-appreciating the ease of carrying the backpack, though, even though attaching/detaching it from the bike is more annoying.

I also don't detach my rack; it requires a screwdriver. I suppose I could loop it into the U-lock with a cable lock.

The 585

« Reply #830 on: May 29, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »
Thanks for the awesome recommendations, guys. Sadly I work in a open workspace with several people I don't know too well, so there's no way to hang my sweaty clothes in my office. BUT seeing these suggestions gave me the idea that I could hang my clothes over my bike in the parking garage and use it as a makeshift drying rack. I think this will be way better than balling them up in my bag until I put them back on for the ride home!

Thanks for the positive perspective on using a backpack, GuitarStv. My road bike definitely doesn't have the geometry to support racks and bags, so for the time being the backpack is the most efficient solution. I think once we have more space in the future, I'll probably get a more cargo-friendly touring bike to support racks and bags, and then have my road bike for unloaded riding.

triple7stash

• Stubble
    • Pension Prologue
« Reply #831 on: May 30, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
Hi All,

Thought I would jump in as well.  My commute sounds somewhat similar to Geographer, it would be slightly over 8 miles one-way, however it would be broken up into two 4 mile rides by a slight train/rail ride.  So it would be 4 miles from house to rail, then 4 miles from rail to work and vice versa.  I'm not fully committed as I still have my car, so I'm looking to maybe start at 1 day a week and slightly ramp up, however I'm hesitant as I am a very new biker and want to get a spare tube and practice changing a flat as I have never done that before.

I've been biking to the grocery store for 6 months now, but that's not too impressive as I only live about .4 miles away.  I was using an old beat down mountain bike that definitely could not make the commute, but I just pulled the trigger on a new bike.  I guess it's a somewhat mustachian purchase (once I get the value out of commuting), however I did it in a non-mustachian manner.  Bought a Trek FX3 Disc for $815 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/21572/ Any thoughts?

Also, kind of an impulse kind of guy so I took it out for a 16 miles ride the day I bought it and it kicked my ass (physically and literally), I saw a mention of the padded shorts, any suggestions?

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #832 on: May 30, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
I live in a tropical country and commute by bike everyday. For me what worked best was a combination of light fabric shorts and a pannier/bike seat where I strap my backpack. I ride shirtless most of the time and only put on a dry fit tshirt about a block away from work. If the tshirt gets sweaty I dry it inside a large drawer at my desk that I leave 5cm/2in open, due to the open office BS.

The few times that I wore a backpack to work were a sticky, sweaty mess that I don't plan on repeating.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: May 30, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
Hi All,

Thought I would jump in as well.  My commute sounds somewhat similar to Geographer, it would be slightly over 8 miles one-way, however it would be broken up into two 4 mile rides by a slight train/rail ride.  So it would be 4 miles from house to rail, then 4 miles from rail to work and vice versa.  I'm not fully committed as I still have my car, so I'm looking to maybe start at 1 day a week and slightly ramp up, however I'm hesitant as I am a very new biker and want to get a spare tube and practice changing a flat as I have never done that before.

I've been biking to the grocery store for 6 months now, but that's not too impressive as I only live about .4 miles away.  I was using an old beat down mountain bike that definitely could not make the commute, but I just pulled the trigger on a new bike.  I guess it's a somewhat mustachian purchase (once I get the value out of commuting), however I did it in a non-mustachian manner.  Bought a Trek FX3 Disc for $815 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/21572/ Any thoughts?

Also, kind of an impulse kind of guy so I took it out for a 16 miles ride the day I bought it and it kicked my ass (physically and literally), I saw a mention of the padded shorts, any suggestions?

You already bought the bike so it doesn't really matter what we think now. ;) Probably wouldn't have been my suggestion to get a new one, as Trek bikes are a dime a dozen on Craigslist, but what's done is done.

My bike shorts are clearance models from Sierra Trading Post that I bought 4 years and 2000 miles ago. They serve the purpose just fine. No need to get crazy when you're starting out, but they do make a difference on longer rides. If you're still having a lot of pain after getting padded shorts, a better seat is the next thing to try.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #834 on: May 30, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
Thanks for the awesome recommendations, guys. Sadly I work in a open workspace with several people I don't know too well, so there's no way to hang my sweaty clothes in my office. BUT seeing these suggestions gave me the idea that I could hang my clothes over my bike in the parking garage and use it as a makeshift drying rack. I think this will be way better than balling them up in my bag until I put them back on for the ride home!

Is your parking garage secured? I would hate for your gross clothes to get swiped!

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: May 30, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »

For any rides over about 10 miles, buy the padded shorts. I still laugh at myself when I put them on, but it sure beats the pain in the ass that results from riding without them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #836 on: May 30, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »

It's hard to make a suggestion for padded shorts.  They kinda work as a system.  What is great for my ass and saddle may not work well for yours.  But it doesn't have to be scary.  I'm comfy in any pair of shorts for under 50 km rides, and it's only when I'm doing over 100 km that I start getting really picky.

Bike shorts go on sale now and again, so just figure out what size you are and pick some up when that happens.  Any bike shorts are better than no bike shorts.

TrMama

« Reply #837 on: May 30, 2019, 01:59:10 PM »
Bike shorts go on sale now and again, so just figure out what size you are and pick some up when that happens.  Any bike shorts are better than no bike shorts.

This. I like padded shorts for my 12.5km each way commute. Any padded shorts are better than none, but given the choice I prefer ones with a thicker, cushier pad. For me, Pearl Izumi fit the bill nicely. I also prefer a longer inseam, rather than the shorter ones, this may only be an option for women's shorts though. I also always size up. All bike shorts fit snugly, no need for them to also be restrictive.

Padded shorts help alleviate any pain you feel directly under your seat bones. This is the part of your posterior you're supposed to sit on. If you're having pain in any of your soft tissues, you probably need a different seat, and/or a bike fit. Your soft tissues aren't meant to be sat on and will let you know when they're unhappy. Bike shorts won't fix that.

The bike you bought looks great. For $800, if you use it even semi regularly to commute,  you'll easily recoup the cash in reduced driving costs. I also think buying new is a good option for a newb. You know the bike you've got is in great shape and most shops include a basic fit and some tune up services as well. Plus, presumably they sold you the right size frame, so you don't have to worry about that.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: May 30, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »

^^^This^^^

I loathe backpacks. Just got the rack and panniers and am really enjoying them. It was 98 degrees today. Not having a sweaty, uncomfortable backpack on was really nice.

The 585

« Reply #839 on: May 30, 2019, 06:17:56 PM »

Is your parking garage secured? I would hate for your gross clothes to get swiped!

Hahaha yes, fortunately it is a secured parking garage with employee only access! Honestly, if my sweaty clothes got swiped I'd probably just find it funny!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #840 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:23 PM »

For any rides over about 10 miles, buy the padded shorts. I still laugh at myself when I put them on, but it sure beats the pain in the ass that results from riding without them.
The “butt shorts”, as my husband calls them, do look and feel ridiculous, but they help. I also find that over the course of several weeks of riding my parts sort of toughen up and get used to the abuse. I can often go without the padding now.

Anyone have any smart ideas about chafing? I don’t usually get anything but the other week in the shower I noticed I had scabs where my upper thighs must contact the edge of the saddle. Maybe I did a casual ride wearing regular pants at some point and that wasn’t a good combo? I’m mystified.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #841 on: May 31, 2019, 07:08:42 AM »
You can get chafing for two reasons:

1.  Mechanical chafing - this is where a seam a bit of material, or something else is rubbing against you.  Enough rubbing of anything, and eventually it'll damage the skin below.  Solutions:  Bike specific shorts go a long way towards fixing this usually, if you've got particularly hairy 'nads running a clipper set to #2 around the area (don't shave - the hairs growing back in will cause problems) will also reduce the amount of rubbing going on.  Chamois cream can also help, because it's a lubricant and will minimize the effects of rubbing.

2.  Infection related chafing - Your 'nads are naturally a somewhat unsanitary place (why God saw fit to put the pleasure center next to the waste removal area I'll never know).  Add in hot humid weather, occasional rain, a whole lot of sweat, and all the dust/crap that gets kicked up off the road and into your general ass area from your rear tire . . . and it's even worse.  There's always going to be a small amount of rubbing going on when you're sitting on a bike saddle, even if you've religiously followed all of item 1 . . . and bacteria can and will cause skin irriation.  This ranges from red itchy skin to red bumps, to pus filled blisters . . . which pop and then you'll have open wounds in this unsanitary area.  Cycling is gross.

You want to keep your undercarriage as clean as possible at all times.  I always shower and wash my 'nads before a long bike ride.  Most chamois creams are antibacterial . . . which is another reason to use them for long bike rides.  Don't wear bike shorts more than once before washing them*.  When you get off the bike, don't chill in your bike shorts - a wet body temperature chamois is a bacteria growth chamber.  Get them off as soon as possible and shower.  After your shower, make sure to carefully dry off your undercarriage completely before putting on undewar.  Wear loose fitting cotton underwear - no synthetic materials.  Synthetic materials also seem to encourage bacteria growth.

* I give shorts for commuting a pass on this . . . you can wear the same pair to work and then back home from work.  But try to put them somewhere where they'll dry out completely before you put them on to go back home.  Never wear the same pair more than one day of commuting though.

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #842 on: May 31, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
Anyone have any smart ideas about chafing? I don’t usually get anything but the other week in the shower I noticed I had scabs where my upper thighs must contact the edge of the saddle. Maybe I did a casual ride wearing regular pants at some point and that wasn’t a good combo? I’m mystified.

Have you had discomfort in that area while riding?  If my seat is too far back, I get rubbing on the backs of my legs like that.  You might try moving your seat forward VERY slightly.  (I'm talking like a half of a cm.) 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #843 on: May 31, 2019, 08:08:32 AM »
Your saddle position should be set based on your leg position relative to the cranks.  It shouldn't have anything to do with chafing, and changing it is not likely to fix problems unless you've got a saddle that's not suitable for the type of riding you're doing.

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #844 on: May 31, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »
My saddle feels like shit if it's too far back, but feels like heaven when it's in the right position.  And if it's too far back, I get chafing.  Dunno, just stating my experience. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #845 on: May 31, 2019, 08:45:29 AM »
I’ve never felt uncomfortable there while riding, which is why it was such a surprise to see chafing. It has only happened once or twice, which is why I’m thinking it might be related to jumping randomly on the bike for a short ride wearing whatever instead of leggings/bike shorts.

triple7stash

• Stubble
    • Pension Prologue
« Reply #846 on: May 31, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »
You already bought the bike so it doesn't really matter what we think now. ;) Probably wouldn't have been my suggestion to get a new one, as Trek bikes are a dime a dozen on Craigslist, but what's done is done.

I was thinking this prior to purchasing the bike...

The bike you bought looks great. For $800, if you use it even semi regularly to commute,  you'll easily recoup the cash in reduced driving costs. I also think buying new is a good option for a newb. You know the bike you've got is in great shape and most shops include a basic fit and some tune up services as well. Plus, presumably they sold you the right size frame, so you don't have to worry about that.

But, also this.  I'm definitely a total newb and didn't even know where to begin and how to evaluate the condition of the bike.  Didn't want to get paralysis by analysis, so just decided to go for it.  And awesome, thanks I'll take a look on Sierra Trading Post!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #847 on: May 31, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »
I prefer not having a backpack on if I can help it. I do live in a warm climate with mostly flat terrain, so some of GuitarStv's points as to why he prefers a backpack don't apply in my situation.

For bike commuting clothes, I change at work a put my bike clothes in my bag. They sit in the bag in my air conditioned office for about 9 hours, then I change back into them for the ride home. Most of the year my 20 minute ride isn't really enough to get them sweaty in the morning. In the warmer months they are a bit gross to put back on, but I've never had any real issues with it. Overall, I'm sure they're no worse than they would be if I wore them for a single long ride.

TrMama

« Reply #848 on: May 31, 2019, 11:08:08 AM »
I’ve never felt uncomfortable there while riding, which is why it was such a surprise to see chafing. It has only happened once or twice, which is why I’m thinking it might be related to jumping randomly on the bike for a short ride wearing whatever instead of leggings/bike shorts.

If it's not really bothering you, it may not be worth addressing. I get stuff like this from time to time and simply live with it as long as it's not getting worse or causing a lot of discomfort. I also find things like this happen more frequently as the weather gets warmer and I sweat more during each ride.

I think you're also pregnant? Maybe you've gained some weight and it's causing parts to rub that didn't before?

TrMama

« Reply #849 on: May 31, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Question for anyone who's tried to bike, or exercise, in smoky air. Any recommendations on masks?

I live in the PNW and smoke season is starting up already. It's mild right now, but if the past 3 years are any indication it will soon be much worse. In past years, I just didn't bike when it was very smoky, but I'd like to try biking through it this year. Effective masks seem to come in 2 styles, a "sport" version and a "work" version. Do the "sport" styles actually filter well enough? Or would it be the equivalent of wearing one of those useless paper masks?

https://www.amazon.ca/Meanhoo-Cycling-Anti-dust-Filter-Neoprene/dp/B01C9OMFZW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2RUJAJGCPEA9Y&keywords=smoke+masks+for+fire&qid=1559322681&s=gateway&sprefix=smoke+mask%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.ca/Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-6200-medium/dp/B007JZ1N00/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?crid=2RUJAJGCPEA9Y&keywords=smoke+masks+for+fire&qid=1559322809&s=gateway&sprefix=smoke+mask%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-18-spons&psc=1

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!