Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 26793 times)

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »
My first 5 out of 5 bike commute week last week.  I am a "fair weather" rider, and been averaging 1-3 days per week since 2015, and stopping through the winter.   This year, I'm trying to transition into a year round commuter.  Today I'm 3/3 for this week, plan to make it 5/5 for 2 weeks in a row.

It's getting colder and wetter in Chicago though.  How do you all deal with wet shoes/socks.  I have dress shoes I change into at work.  But my socks remained wet for most of the day.  I can get a separate pair of socks for work also, but then my sneakers are still wet when I put them back on to go home.  Are there any waterproof shoes that aren't winter boot-types that would work with biking?

I have a pair of waterproof Keen trail shoes that keep my feet fairly dry. The problem is they don't cover my ankles, so the tops of my socks get wet and then it wicks down into the shoe.

Most of the time I wear neoprene shoe covers over my bike shoes (I ride clipless). Keeps my shoes dry and my feet warm.

Tass

• Pencil Stache
  • Working on a PhD...
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
overtaking me without moving fully into the other lane

You can try cycling further towards the middle of the lane, rather than staying as far to the right as possible.  There's some kind of psychological thing that goes on that makes a person driving really, really, really, not want to cross over the line into the next lane.  Often if you're cycling really far to the right, cars will pass you very closely in order to stay in the same lane as you.  When you ride a foot or two from the right you get more room to maneuver around obstacles (potholes/debris), but more importantly, it forces a car to cross that line and exit the lane in order to pass you.  Most cars don't care about close passing a cyclist, but are loathe to put a cyclist sized dent in their vehicle.  :P

I have read that female cyclists (which I am) tend to be injured more often because they are less likely to claim the center of a lane, and so people pass closer to them/us as @GuitarStv described. (Yasha sounds like a feminine screenname but of course I could be wrong.)  I think of this whenever I feel awkward about the space I am taking up. You have the right to claim the whole lane, and it is safer for you to do so. Be obvious and force people to go all the way around you. Don't be part of that statistic.

Admittedly I have still considered getting a shirt that says "THIS IS MY LANE, GO AROUND" because drivers still pass too close sometimes. But at least you have made them pay attention to you while they are passing.

Actually, the incident that really fired me up this week was the woman who didn't see me signaling my FLASHING BLUE LIT ARM to merge in front of her slowing car because she was texting - both hands in her lap with her foot on the brake, but still moving at maybe 15mph. I would have been hit if I were biking less defensively.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »
My first 5 out of 5 bike commute week last week.  I am a "fair weather" rider, and been averaging 1-3 days per week since 2015, and stopping through the winter.   This year, I'm trying to transition into a year round commuter.  Today I'm 3/3 for this week, plan to make it 5/5 for 2 weeks in a row.

It's getting colder and wetter in Chicago though.  How do you all deal with wet shoes/socks.  I have dress shoes I change into at work.  But my socks remained wet for most of the day.  I can get a separate pair of socks for work also, but then my sneakers are still wet when I put them back on to go home.  Are there any waterproof shoes that aren't winter boot-types that would work with biking?

Wet feet suck.

I keep a towel at work.  After a wet ride, lay the towel flat and then lay your socks (and other wet stuff) flat on top of the towel.  Roll the towel up tightly, then walk on it.  Unroll the towel and your stuff will be like 95% dry.

If your shoes are soaked, pull the insoles out of them and roll 'em up in the towel along with your other stuff.  Then stuff your soleless shoes tightly with balls of newspaper or paper towels.  Wait about three hours and remove the newspaper/paper towels, they will have soaked up and removed most of the water.

Yes, there are waterproof shoes that you can buy.  (Google waterproof running shoes and you'll find a bunch.)  I got a pair years ago and use them (with wool socks) when it's really cold in the winter because they don't breathe and are very warm, and water would run down my leg and fill the shoe when it was really pouring . . . which is super gross feeling.  I'll occasionally use waterproof overshoes that I put over my cycling shoes when it's really pouring in warmer months and these work pretty well.

Villanelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: November 08, 2018, 04:12:08 AM »
If you can't find a solution for the shoes that works, could you have two pair?  Ride in with pair A, leave A at the office and drive home in B, then B to work the next day, etc. 

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2018, 07:26:14 AM »

I have a pair of waterproof Keen trail shoes that keep my feet fairly dry. The problem is they don't cover my ankles, so the tops of my socks get wet and then it wicks down into the shoe.

Most of the time I wear neoprene shoe covers over my bike shoes (I ride clipless). Keeps my shoes dry and my feet warm.

May be pricey, but winter merino cycling or hiking socks will be dry at the end of the day as long as you don't leave them bunched up in your bag. As far as your shoes, is there anywhere warmish and discreet you could leave them? If they're not dripping you should feel pretty dry in your merino's... there may be a kirkland/costco line of merino socks that i'm sure are as good as any

I use traditional cycling shoes for my commute and these tend to dry fairly fast. but I did use to have a tower for a PC under my desk at work, I'd dry my whole kit on it!

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #405 on: November 08, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
Tomorrow will be my first day of commute failure since late June, when I started biking.  I have a dentist appointment in the middle of the day, and it's too far away (and without a good route) to realistically bike in a safe manner.  It would also necessitate leaving work earlier to bike, which I'd feel a bit guilty about.  Given that work is on the way to the dentist, it doesn't really make sense to bike in, bike home, then drive to the appointment. 

I feel a bit bad about tomorrow, but I suppose this is one of the reasons I keep the car around.  Still, I think that 4.5 months since my car has graced the work parking lot is a decent achievement for someone who had never biked to work before.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: November 08, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
That is really good! I’ve been biking for only five weeks and four of those weeks I’ve had something come up that required a car one day of the week. An appointment that was too far away in the middle of the day, two flat tires, etc.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #407 on: November 08, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and tricks all! (The pool-noodle space indicator particularly resonates with me!) I rode to work again yesterday and left my bike in the office. Still working on those muscles so decided not to do the double trip in one day. I have the safe rider training on Saturday so I will figure out if it makes more sense to bus to work on Saturday morning, pick up the bike and ride from there to the training, or if it makes more sense then I’ll ride the bike home today after work and then from home to the training.

erutio

• Bristles
« Reply #408 on: November 09, 2018, 10:19:39 AM »
New milestone.  Biked to work today in full on chicago snow!!

I've commuted in torrential downpour, (light) hail, maybe a small flurry, but never in real snowfall.  Now, it's still too warm for the snow to stick on the ground, but this was a big step. 

Wore my regular wool gloves + snowboarding gloves, face mask, goggles.   The only real part that was cold were my toes.  I wore my wigwam socks, with my usual running shoes, and my toes were frozen numb by the end of the 6.5 mile ride.  Still need to figure something out with my feet..

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #409 on: November 09, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »

I've commuted in torrential downpour, (light) hail, maybe a small flurry, but never in real snowfall.  Now, it's still too warm for the snow to stick on the ground, but this was a big step. 

Wore my regular wool gloves + snowboarding gloves, face mask, goggles.   The only real part that was cold were my toes.  I wore my wigwam socks, with my usual running shoes, and my toes were frozen numb by the end of the 6.5 mile ride.  Still need to figure something out with my feet..

Snow's not too bad.  I kinda like cycling in it, when it's falling heavily everything sounds softer.  It gets pretty exciting when there are five or six inches of the stuff down and you've got to jump from rut to rut.  Good exercise to brush up on your bike handling.

:P

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #410 on: November 09, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »

Congrats!!! Isn't it a little magical?? I rode last night as snow was falling, flakes lit up by my headlight, cars slipping and sliding while I just kept trucking along. Looks like I'll need to buy a studded tire earlier than I was planning!

My mom keeps sending me boxes of disposable hand warmers so I've used those under my toes. They're annoying when I'm walking but I don't notice them at all riding. For commuting, I'd rather have warm feet than dry feet once I get to work, so I've also used plastic bags inside my shoes to help block wind (I change into scrubs anyway so changing socks/underthings is no biggie for me).

My son rides clipless and bought neoprene shoe covers a few years ago. He didn't end up liking them, so I've actually used those over top of my regular shoes, or inside my boots over my socks. More breathable than straight plastic. When I've used them outside my shoes, I haven't noticed any issue with being slippery on my pedals (since they're made for cleats and only have a small opening for the cleat) but that may vary from bike to bike.

Again, congrats!

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #411 on: November 09, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »
OK, the ride in the snow is awesome and officially makes any of us who complain about the cold a bunch of pansies.

So here goes...  New helmet (with nice rear view mirror attached) is ready to go for first cold-ish ride and new light and other bike goodies are setup satisfactorily (new front/rear light, rear rack for grocery/computer bags)... Just around freezing for tomorrow's ride time so this should be interesting.   The tips about feet being the worst thing to get cold helped...   Goal is 10 miles+ on a relatively flat greenway...  This Badger is almost 10lbs lighter now and has better gear than the first 5 mile ride there a month ago.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #412 on: November 11, 2018, 01:36:00 AM »
Attended the safe city cyclists class ($25) run by the local council and I feel so much more confident about riding on the roads - plus the instructor pumped up both my tyres (both at less than half the psi they should have been, so wonder it was a struggle!) and helped me put my seat on straight so it doesn’t keep poking me in the thigh and giving me a bruise. As part of the course we went for a 9km bike ride. I then rode the 7km home as well totalling 16km in a row. Tush is a bit tender but the worst bit is I got sunburnt because I forgot to put on sunscreen and the Aussie sun is merciless. Still very happy I went!

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: November 12, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
I didn’t ride today. Partially it is because I went on little runs on both days last weekend and am tired. Partially it is because the air quality outside is unhealthy due to massive fires north of us. I have a face mask and will probably use it to ride tomorrow, but it made a nice excuse today.

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #414 on: November 12, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »

Well done!  And here I was, feeling good because it was my first commute with the temperature in the 40s.  No, I didn't think it was a particularly impressive accomplishment, but it was still a first for me, and I enjoyed it (thanks to adequate preparation)! 

Still haven't dealt with significant precipitation.  Life in a drought. 

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: November 13, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
I didn’t ride today. Partially it is because I went on little runs on both days last weekend and am tired. Partially it is because the air quality outside is unhealthy due to massive fires north of us. I have a face mask and will probably use it to ride tomorrow, but it made a nice excuse today.
Between air quality and DW's availability to drop me off/pick me up, I didn't ride the last half of last week after getting a flat (there was also other bike maintenance that needed attention that I became aware of early last week but did not prevent me from making my easy bike commute). DW's schedule doesn't allow for the drop off this week, but bike maintenance got taken care of yesterday and I rode again today. Although it will mean more days off the bike for me (no fenders), we need rain to come soon; but still none in the forecast.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #416 on: November 13, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »
I'm another one not wanting to ride with this air quality.  I think I'll hit the gym though and get some movement in this week.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: November 13, 2018, 12:39:45 PM »
My husband has a pack of dust filter masks and I took one to ride in this morning. He has also been riding this week. As he put it, it is important for his mental health. It was uncomfortable riding with this mask on as it got steamy inside from my breathing, but it is better, I suppose, than nothing.

I did have a laugh at the new record I am setting for dorkiness.

hadabeardonce

• Stubble
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
    • My Journal
« Reply #418 on: November 13, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »
Poor Bay Area air quality broke my 4 week streak of riding. I rode last Friday and it didn't feel like the brightest thing to be doing. I could tell I was a little more winded than usual, so I took that a sign my body was trying to tell me to degrease my chain, wash the frame, disassemble my bike and try to drill out a rusted stainless steel screw in the front fork so I can mount fenders for the future rainy days.

One news station was saying those N95 masks are only functional for about an hour, but they were wrong - the masks should last about 8 hours.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:14:33 AM by hadabeardonce »

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #419 on: November 13, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »
Thanks for the info. We have a small stack of the masks so I can toss it tonight and use a new one for tomorrow’s commute.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #420 on: November 13, 2018, 08:27:53 PM »
An hour?! I don't think that's correct. If they are properly fitted (providing a good seal) a mask certified N95 will certainly filter particles for the day. I've read studies in the past that showed anywhere from 2% to 50% decrease in efficacy after one WEEK (if I'm remembering right they were measuring daily wear in Beijing).

I believe most industries that require N95 wear also require changing them daily primarily for liability reasons. My hospital requires changing as we do any other mask (when leaving the sterile room) but I've worn them for at least 8 hours in a tuberculosis-positive case, and we are extremely conservative when it comes to possible pathogen exposure.

Changing them multiple times a day would add up $ fast!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #421 on: November 14, 2018, 06:01:19 AM »
Poor Bay Area air quality broke my 4 week streak of riding. I rode last Friday and it didn't feel like the brightest thing to be doing. I could tell I was a little more winded than usual, so I took that a sign my body was trying to tell me to degrease my chain, wash the frame, disassemble my bike and try to drill out a rusted stainless steel screw in the front fork so I can mount fenders for the future rainy days.

One news station was saying those N95 masks are only functional for about an hour.

Very, very important to unscrew things from the frame and add a little dab of grease on the threads at least once a year.  :P

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #422 on: November 14, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »
An hour?! I don't think that's correct. If they are properly fitted (providing a good seal) a mask certified N95 will certainly filter particles for the day. I've read studies in the past that showed anywhere from 2% to 50% decrease in efficacy after one WEEK (if I'm remembering right they were measuring daily wear in Beijing).

I believe most industries that require N95 wear also require changing them daily primarily for liability reasons. My hospital requires changing as we do any other mask (when leaving the sterile room) but I've worn them for at least 8 hours in a tuberculosis-positive case, and we are extremely conservative when it comes to possible pathogen exposure.

I tried to do some searching online about how long they are good for. I only found a bit about using them in areas with infectious disease and it was saying similar: 8 hours or every shift.

hadabeardonce

• Stubble
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
    • My Journal
« Reply #423 on: November 14, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »

I tried to do some searching online about how long they are good for. I only found a bit about using them in areas with infectious disease and it was saying similar: 8 hours or every shift.
Thanks for the info. I corrected my earlier post and added the 8 hour estimate. Good to know they may last longer. I'm not sure if things change while exercising:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/well/move/on-your-bike-watch-out-for-the-air.html
“Our preliminary data shows that many bicyclists are getting a bit over half of their daily air pollution dose in only 6 to 8 percent of their day during their daily commutes,”

But just as important as the level of pollution in an area is the effort exerted by a bicyclist to pedal through it. “We know that just walking we are breathing in two to three times the air as we are when we are sitting,” Dr. Chillrud explained. Cycling and other strenuous activities like jogging and playing basketball boost the volume of air — and therefore the particulates — that we are inhaling. Dr. Jack, for example, breathes in roughly 8 liters of air per minute when he is resting; when he cycles that volume soars to 70 liters. Biking hard, uphill or fast increases one’s pollution intake still further.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »

Good to know. I should remember to pick some of these up over the winter so I'll have them ready for next summer. Sadly, "smoke season" has become pretty predictable here.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #425 on: November 14, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
Good question re: exercise and mask filtration. I'm not panting as much scrubbing a case as I am on my bike :)

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #426 on: November 14, 2018, 11:27:19 AM »
I’m taking it a bit easier on the bike this week and not pushing myself to accelerate it always go too speed. It probably is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but may help a bit. It is also a bit uncomfortable to wear the face mask so I’m not having as much fun as I normally do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #427 on: November 14, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »
It sounds like altitude training.  Restricting the oxygen that your body gets during exercise actually forces it to use oxygen more efficiently (provided you're not passing out from hypoxia) . . . so the masks are actually making you stronger cyclists.  :P

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #428 on: November 14, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
Alternatively, just take a whole bunch of EPO, as it hugely increases your body's efficiency in utilising oxygen.*

*for the love of all that is good in the world, don't take a whole bunch of EPO.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #429 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:19 PM »
Alternatively, just take a whole bunch of EPO, as it hugely increases your body's efficiency in utilising oxygen.*

*for the love of all that is good in the world, don't take a whole bunch of EPO.

I will leave you with two quotes from Tour de Pharmacy:

In the autopsy, they found Juju was on EPO and cocaine, also some Insulin and Anabolic Steroids, Oxabolone, and, then Nandrolone, trace amounts of Norethandorlene and Furazabol.

They even found some Heroin in his system.

There was also Letrozole, Cyclazadone, some Estrogen Receptor Modulators, Raaloxifene and Tamoxifen, probably to ward off breast growth.

A lot of Oxycodone in his blood.

Phentermine, as well, Ortemamine, Bunolol, Lobatealol.

Plus, apparently he had hopped Ethanol and taken a couple of MDAs.

He clearly smoked some Crystal Meth and Crack and there was a Hormone from monkey testicles that he had cooked down into a broth that he drank.

He also had apparently eaten at least one sandwich at Arby's.

People dope! Yeah, they risk their lives. But, you know, this is a sport with literally hundreds of dollars on the line and dozens of fans that well - Stakes are medium!

:P

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #430 on: November 15, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
Two cool things happened yesterday:

1. I received emails stating that they were offering a new parking lottery for some reserved spots that would rotate among lucky winners in my division.  If you wanted, you could opt out.  I quickly responded and told them that I have no need for their filthy parking space lottery.  Might as well give it to clown car slaves.

2. Someone self-identifying as "The Bike Fairy" left a bag of free bike stuff on my (and all other) handlebars, thanking me for bike commuting.  Not trying to sell anything, just an anonymous good deed from someone who must've spent several hundred dollars on this endeavor.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: November 15, 2018, 10:54:34 PM »
The bike fairy is a lovely idea! What did you get?

On my commute this morning several cars and a bus were stopped because a tree had fallen over and was blocking half of a narrow road. I hopped up onto the sidewalk and bypassed the whole mess. :)

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: November 16, 2018, 10:31:14 AM »
Very, very important to unscrew things from the frame and add a little dab of grease on the threads at least once a year.  :P
I'm not sure that every year is vital, but the grease does help prevent dissimilar metals from forming bonds over time. I learned this when I needed to replace the bottom bracket on my aluminum frame bike about 20 years ago (also learned not to lay a bike down on its side especially for transport). It took an impact wrench to get my old one off and I got the advice about greasing the threads. I've certainly allowed more than a year between bottom bracket removals, but I always make sure there's some grease there when I put it back together.

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #433 on: November 16, 2018, 11:40:42 PM »
The bike fairy is a lovely idea! What did you get?

On my commute this morning several cars and a bus were stopped because a tree had fallen over and was blocking half of a narrow road. I hopped up onto the sidewalk and bypassed the whole mess. :)

Hmm...got a rear blinking light, some hand warmers, a CO2 valve and some canisters, and some sort of massage/therapy ball. 

Yeah, I've had a few commutes where I've been able to bypass a big snarl of cars due to construction, accidents, or whatever.  I try to keep the smugness off my face, and keep it strictly matter-of-fact outwardly.  Inside, I'm always thrilled.

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: November 17, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
Hmm...got a rear blinking light, some hand warmers, a CO2 valve and some canisters, and some sort of massage/therapy ball. 

Yeah, I've had a few commutes where I've been able to bypass a big snarl of cars due to construction, accidents, or whatever.  I try to keep the smugness off my face, and keep it strictly matter-of-fact outwardly.  Inside, I'm always thrilled.
One route home for me involves passing over a multi lane highway where it goes below a surface street.. I usually think of the motorists as suckers as it's usually clear that I'm traveling faster than most of them (usually the motorists are traveling faster than me in the morning though).

sixwings

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #435 on: November 19, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »
Got hit by a car on my way home today. First time. There was a line of cars trying to pull out of a parking lot, as I neared I couldnt make eye contact with the driver or see if they were looking at me, I started to apply brakes but too late, she pulled out as I was passing and hit me. Wasn't too bad on me. I recognized it was happening and jumped off my bike landing on her hood and bouncing to the pavement. I got up and am fine with a minor scrape on my elbow and my ankle is a little sore (but not enough to bother me, I walked my dog this eve). My bike is wrecked though. I got all the info from the person, they were probably more shaken up than me! Very apologetic etc. Someone I know was a couple cars back and came out to help me and gave me a lift home. Apparently the guy behind the car that hit me was being really obnoxious and honking and revving his engine probably pressuring the car that hit me to pull out without looking properly.

I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow morning before making any insurance claims. Good thing I was biking pretty slowly and was being cautious about the car or it could have been way worse. Maybe I can get some insurance $$$ out of it and a newer bike. I'll buy more lights too.

It's probably going to be a while before I can bike again which sucks a lot. Parking at work is $5-8/day (depending on how early I get there) and the bus stops are really inconvenient. Oh well.

Villanelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: November 20, 2018, 12:03:24 AM »
Got hit by a car on my way home today. First time. There was a line of cars trying to pull out of a parking lot, as I neared I couldnt make eye contact with the driver or see if they were looking at me, I started to apply brakes but too late, she pulled out as I was passing and hit me. Wasn't too bad on me. I recognized it was happening and jumped off my bike landing on her hood and bouncing to the pavement. I got up and am fine with a minor scrape on my elbow and my ankle is a little sore (but not enough to bother me, I walked my dog this eve). My bike is wrecked though. I got all the info from the person, they were probably more shaken up than me! Very apologetic etc. Someone I know was a couple cars back and came out to help me and gave me a lift home. Apparently the guy behind the car that hit me was being really obnoxious and honking and revving his engine probably pressuring the car that hit me to pull out without looking properly.

I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow morning before making any insurance claims. Good thing I was biking pretty slowly and was being cautious about the car or it could have been way worse. Maybe I can get some insurance $$$ out of it and a newer bike. I'll buy more lights too.

It's probably going to be a while before I can bike again which sucks a lot. Parking at work is $5-8/day (depending on how early I get there) and the bus stops are really inconvenient. Oh well.

This is something that seems to me to be totally reasonable to include in an insurance claim.  This cost is very directly and clearly related to the accident and your resulting inability to continue biking.  Ask your doctor how long until he thinks you will be good as new, and then calculate the number of work days that covers and the associated parking fees. 

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: November 20, 2018, 04:17:32 AM »
@sixwings,   Hope you feel better soon!   Get lots of pictures and document the injuries well... It might also be possible there's video if it was at an intersection that the city can provide if you have a case filed or the driver had a ticket for the accident...  worth checking at least?   No insurance company wants to see a well organized plaintiff...  and bet they'll settle rather than have you parade the video/photo/medical details in court on a "car vs. cyclist" accident.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #438 on: November 20, 2018, 06:34:45 AM »
I’m sorry this happened to you and very glad it was as minor as it was.

This reinforces my new route to work that is a mile longer but keeps me mostly out of main roads and intersections in favor of neighborhood streets and trails.

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: November 20, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »
@sixwings,   Hope you feel better soon!   Get lots of pictures and document the injuries well... It might also be possible there's video if it was at an intersection that the city can provide if you have a case filed or the driver had a ticket for the accident...  worth checking at least?   No insurance company wants to see a well organized plaintiff...  and bet they'll settle rather than have you parade the video/photo/medical details in court on a "car vs. cyclist" accident.
Definitely file a police report.

Insurance claim should include replacement cost of your bike, any medical costs incurred, and transportation costs (including parking) incurred for trips that you would have biked during the time your were not able to bike. I'd itemize these then add on something for your injuries (much harder to set a value on, so there might be some back and forth between you and the insurance on this item). Do your best to document everything as quickly as possible, but take your time to put together your claim to ensure you have missed any damages.

TrMama

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #440 on: November 20, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
Definitely file a police report.

Insurance claim should include replacement cost of your bike, any medical costs incurred, and transportation costs (including parking) incurred for trips that you would have biked during the time your were not able to bike. I'd itemize these then add on something for your injuries (much harder to set a value on, so there might be some back and forth between you and the insurance on this item). Do your best to document everything as quickly as possible, but take your time to put together your claim to ensure you have missed any damages.

I'm so sorry you were hit. That's awful.

Ditto the advice to file a police report. It'll make the insurance claim go more smoothly and ensures there's a record of a cyclist accident at that location. Perhaps there's something the city can do at that spot to make it safer.

When you're shopping for a new bike, tell the shops it's an insurance replacement and how much you have to spend. I did this years ago when my nicer bike was stolen from our house. I was able to get an even nicer bike (last years model on clearance), plus a bunch of other gear, for the claim amount.

sixwings

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #441 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
Thanks everyone! I filed a police report for the insurance claim and went to the doctor today. Doctors visit went well, went to a walk-in clinic and was in and out in a hour, he poked me in a few places and I got some x-rays done. Nothing broken or torn so that's good. My ankle was bothering me slightly (uncomfortable to run on but fine to walk on), he said it's just a light sprain and it feels much better now.  It looks like I walked away with a broken bike and a few minor scratches so I'm pretty grateful for that.

I'll probably file my insurance claim tomorrow, I live in BC Canada so the insurance company I have to deal with is ICBC and they are horrendously stingy and litigious.

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #442 on: Today at 01:10:07 PM »
Did my semiannual bulk purchase of bike equipment on Monday evening: I needed new tyres and tubes, and while I was at it I opted to add a foldaway multitool (which will go into the emergency kit I carry in a bottle cage) and a full set of bike tools (which will definitely not be going into the emergency kit). I want to get comfortable enough working on my bike that I eventually become fully self-sufficient - that's still some time away, but I'm feeling optimistic. Every time something goes wrong, I try to fix it myself before I bring it to a mechanic, and the toolkit should help widen the range of tasks I can do myself.