Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 1388 times)

Bayou Dweller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »
HAHA!  Get a job, asshole.  I love that one.

One person yelled at me "Hippie!" 

:)

LOL!  Pretty sure there are some people that think I ride my bike to work because I can't "afford" the gas.

That's awesome.

Today a co-worker asked me, "Hey, why is your office door closed?"
Me: "Oh, I just rode my bicycle in so I was changing my shirt. Did you need to stop by?"
Co-worker: "MAN Y??????"
Me: "haha, I live pretty close.."
Co-worker: "LOL LOL"

I wasn't really sure how to reply.

Anyways, got in some miles this weekend. Biked and explored a bunch of news areas along the bayou. The weather was beautiful! Biked into work again this morning, hoping I can make this a regular thing.

ACyclist

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
My husband and I had some great riding this weekend. 

Did a rain ride on Friday to just spin the legs on my commuter.  Saw a rainbow.  That was neat.

Went mountainbiking on Saturday to a local trail network.  The conditions were perfect.  Slightly cold, but the hero dirt made up for the cold.  I love riding perfect dirt.  When you tires grip like velcro and you're going rippin fast.  The cornering and going hard just makes me laugh and smile.  Kinda funny, I rode great except for a tiny stick that lodged through my rear triangle.  I heard it and opted to keep riding as I tried to pull it out as I continued to climb.  Well, that didn't work out so well.  I fell over and landed right on a hard pinecone.  The cone hit the side of my quad and really smarted. Low speed crashes can still hurt pretty good.  Got a nice bruise and have been trying to work out the kink with my foam roller.  Owie!

Sunday, I took out my CX and did some spinning and climbing at moderate pace.  It was a combo of pave/gravel/pave.  The wind was relentless. 

Today, I feel great and accomplished with the training.  5000 ft of climbing and 46 miles in all. 

MSquared

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »
Me: "Oh, I just rode my bicycle in so I was changing my shirt. Did you need to stop by?"

Ugh, co-workers.  The amount of stupid comments I've received over the years is mind blowing.  Just keep riding and eventually they'll run out of things to say and shut up.  Unless it rains.  Then they always comment. 

Kmp2

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »

That's awesome.

I always reply with
'Because it's faster than walking'
:D

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »

That's awesome.

I always reply with
'Because it's faster than walking'
:D

That's hilarious. I'm definitely going to use that.

I haven't made much progress, the only places I've gone to have been further than 15 miles or close enough to walk. Tonight I'm replacing my phone battery which should help with bike adventures. My battery life is literally less than 10 minutes when I try to use navigation on it while biking. I also put a portable battery pack on my wishlist, which would be helpful for longer trips on the bike.

ACyclist

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
I wanted to mention something about chains, that will help you extend the life of your chain. 

Some of you may already know this tip, so if you do just ignore me.  Please prevent yourself from cross chaining.  It stretches your chain and it is harder on your chainrings and cassette. A cross chain is being in the biggest gear in the back and the biggest in the front, or the smallest in the back and the smallest in the front.  There are much better options than a cross chain, with triples and doubles. If you are a 1x system, this of course does not apply to you.  If you have a double, it is not as bad as a triple, but still there are other options in your gears.  Many gears overlap themselves in feel factor.

Hope this made sense to the newcomers of our sport.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
I wanted to mention something about chains, that will help you extend the life of your chain. 

Some of you may already know this tip, so if you do just ignore me.  Please prevent yourself from cross chaining.  It stretches your chain and it is harder on your chainrings and cassette. A cross chain is being in the biggest gear in the back and the biggest in the front, or the smallest in the back and the smallest in the front.  There are much better options than a cross chain, with triples and doubles. If you are a 1x system, this of course does not apply to you.  If you have a double, it is not as bad as a triple, but still there are other options in your gears.  Many gears overlap themselves in feel factor.

To clarify a tad:

Basically, you want the chain to be as straight as possible between the big rings at the front and the little rings at the back, not at an angle as above.  Usually you'll hear this as extra noise from the drivetrain when you do it.

Side note - If you're on a 1x system, it does apply to you . . . but there's nothing you can do about it.  A 1x system is the same as always riding the middle chain ring of a triple.  :P

ACyclist

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »

To clarify a tad:

Basically, you want the chain to be as straight as possible between the big rings at the front and the little rings at the back, not at an angle as above.  Usually you'll hear this as extra noise from the drivetrain when you do it.

Side note - If you're on a 1x system, it does apply to you . . . but there's nothing you can do about it.  A 1x system is the same as always riding the middle chain ring of a triple.  :P

I am very thankful that the eagle XX1 chains seem to have very good longevity.  ;)

mucchad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »
following

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
I live in the middle of rural Indiana and have been contemplating cycling to work.  It is about 6 miles so it wouldn't be too bad but it is all county roads until I hit town.  The roads are narrow and people absolutely fly down them. 

Has anyone had to deal with these kinds of conditions and how do you cope? 

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
I live in the middle of rural Indiana and have been contemplating cycling to work.  It is about 6 miles so it wouldn't be too bad but it is all county roads until I hit town.  The roads are narrow and people absolutely fly down them. 

Has anyone had to deal with these kinds of conditions and how do you cope?

I spend a lot of time cycling on rural and county roads.  It's very important to study the area . . . often there is a slightly less direct way to get  where you want that avoids the faster and busier roads.  If you can't avoid faster/busier roads, get very bright rear lights and wear a bright and reflective jacket.  Stay to the side of the road, but make sure you've got enough space to react to potholes and bumps up ahead.
 You'll eventually get used to cycling around faster moving traffic (although liking it is another matter).

Tass

• Stubble
  • Working on a PhD and saving what I can!
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
- Most people new to cycling pedal far too slowly.  When you pedal slowly and push hard, you end up causing muscle fatigue and don't use your aerobic system as much.  You want high RPMs (80 - 100 at least) when climbing to be efficient.  This will put more load on your heart and less on your legs (although they'll still burn occasionally).  Next time you're climbing, try going to an easier gear than you normally would and simply pedaling faster.

My quads say thank you! I didn't end up changing my seat height--maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it just didn't feel comfortable set higher and it's not like I'm out there trying to race anybody--but this morning I went down to a gear that felt silly and focused on turnover. Cruised up the barely-hill and wasn't even out of breath.

How are all of my other fellow newbies doing this week? Did anybody get a great ride in over the weekend?

I meant to and forgot! :O I got in a wimpy ride instead. Going to try to fit in the longer one today or tomorrow, but it's complicated with how early it gets dark now.

You might want to try gradually raising your seat a bit, if you think it should be higher but it's a question of comfort. I need to raise my seat a third time because I keep underestimating (a) how high it should be and (b) how much it helps.

Please prevent yourself from cross chaining.  It stretches your chain and it is harder on your chainrings and cassette. A cross chain is being in the biggest gear in the back and the biggest in the front, or the smallest in the back and the smallest in the front.

...whoops. At least I need a new chain anyway. Is it better to try to stick to mostly the middle gears?

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »

I am very thankful that the eagle XX1 chains seem to have very good longevity.  ;)

Even if you don't think your chain is going to wear out, it's still less efficient.

ACyclist

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

Even if you don't think your chain is going to wear out, it's still less efficient.

HAHA!  Well, you may wonder why most manufacturers are moving to a 1X system.  It's great for MTB and CX.  1x is very popular these days.  Go into any bike shop and look at the drivetrains. 

It is more efficient, and lighter.  One less derailleur.  So less maintenance, better shifting, and lighter.   

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 05:54:11 PM »
You might want to try gradually raising your seat a bit, if you think it should be higher but it's a question of comfort. I need to raise my seat a third time because I keep underestimating (a) how high it should be and (b) how much it helps.

Please prevent yourself from cross chaining.  It stretches your chain and it is harder on your chainrings and cassette. A cross chain is being in the biggest gear in the back and the biggest in the front, or the smallest in the back and the smallest in the front.

...whoops. At least I need a new chain anyway. Is it better to try to stick to mostly the middle gears?

Your bike won't explode if you cross chain.  It just wears stuff out a bit faster, tends to cause rubbing and annoying noise, and is generally less efficient.

All you really have to remember is that if you're in your easiest (biggest) couple gears at the back, then go into your easiest (smallest) ring at the front.  If you're in your hardest (smallest) couple gears at the back, then go into your biggest ring at the front.

Tass

• Stubble
  • Working on a PhD and saving what I can!
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
I believe I misread. Correct me if I'm wrong: there is no problem with using the absolute lowest or absolute highest gear setting; the issue is using the lowest on one hand and highest on the other, where lowest/highest refers to number or difficulty rather than size. Yes? (i.e. using the hardest gear in the front and the easiest "climbing" gear in the back at the same time)

I am still learning all the terminology.

ACyclist

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »

Your bike won't explode if you cross chain.  It just wears stuff out a bit faster, tends to cause rubbing and annoying noise, and is generally less efficient.

All you really have to remember is that if you're in your easiest (biggest) couple gears at the back, then go into your easiest (smallest) ring at the front.  If you're in your hardest (smallest) couple gears at the back, then go into your biggest ring at the front.

All the more reason that I love my 1x. 

...and why are there no emoticons on this site.  Are we too grown up for that?