I'm late to the party too! But I recently started looking into doing capsule wardrobes for myself I even found a couple of apps that help, though I'm not sure they're necessary. :D
First step: PURGE
I just purged FIVE BAGS of clothes! (Grocery bags) - This was stuff I had from high school, things I'll never wear again even if I can fit into them. I'm happy to have cleared them out of my closet!
Inventory & Style analysis
What do I have, and what do I wear a lot? I have moved my favorite clothes to the most accessible positions and moved everything else farther back.
My style: casual mom wear with a cosplay/geek twist
- solid color tunics + printed leggings (some look like armor) ... for casual outings, conventions
- geek t-shirt + slacks/jeans/cargo pants + jacket or blazer ... for church, casual or a little more conservative outings
- work-out/lounge clothes like jogger pants, yoga pants, tank tops, athletic shirts
- I also have random trendy outfits and dresses for when I want to look a little nicer. I usually avoid these clothes if I can!
- shoes are TOMS, ankle boots, running shoes (NB, Nike), and a couple pairs of knee-high/riding boots (for when I want to feel like a Jedi). And some nice flat sandals. I have assorted heels too but those don't get worn.
I bagged up all my maternity clothes and work clothes because I don't need them any more but I haven't gotten rid of those yet (just in case)! (Tip: Target has my favorite maternity clothes! The long stretchy tank tops are AMAZING, my favorite, great for all year round and the only thing that will fit in the last few weeks, plus you can still wear them after birth and they are easy to nurse in too. I swear I bought at least 5 of them and still wear them.)
My problem is my scale broke about a month or two ago and as a result I haven't been weighing myself every morning so I gained 10 lbs (whoops!) and now I don't have many pants that fit. I actually bought a pair of size 18 with an elastic waist (overcompensating, much?) but they try to fall off so I guess I'm still a 16, and at least my XL leggings still fit! But I'm also trying to hold back on buying things because Spring isn't here yet, it's still snowing outside and it seems silly to buy winter clothes at this point but also useless to buy Spring already. I think the one thing I'm tempted to splurge on for quality is really comfy lounging pants, like joggers or maybe even a cotton or linen blend; has to wear well, go with everything, and be something I can wear out of the house. Difficult to look around though with two toddlers in tow.
So anyway, next step is getting rid of this snowy weather so I can clear out the winter clothes and reassess my closet to build a Spring capsule. Honestly, I hate Spring, it's all pastels that wash me out. Give me a Fall wardrobe all year round and I'd be happy. :D Winter's not bad either, I'm a Winter, jewel tones are my favorite.