Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 95553 times)

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe
« Reply #500 on: October 30, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
I feel like I've got my work wardrobe just about perfect. I have:

-Two pairs of dress pants
-Two skirts
-Nine shirts
-Four dresses
-About five or six sweaters and cover-ups to let me keep wearing my summery things year round.

That seems to do the trick pretty well. Losing weight has pared it down substantially.

I don't have a lot of casual clothes - in addition to my exercise/ballet/hiking/outdoors stuff, I've got one pair of jeans, two skirts, one summery dress, and four shirts. My exercise tank tops do seem to double nicely as casual tops, which is handy. I wear my pjs at home a lot as well :)

I have three fancy dresses - one tango gown for ballroom events, one simple black dress for any sort of formal thing, and one fabulous hot pink sparkly strappy thing.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: November 01, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »
I actually bought two new items for my wardrobe for the winter, a dark pink knitted jumper with short sleeves and a long sleeved cobalt blue (my favourite colour!) jumper.:)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: April 07, 2016, 09:30:24 AM »
Helllo - Just checking in and unearthing this thread to see how others are doing w/ their minimalist/capsule/simplified wardrobe plans. It has been almost a year into the plan at this point.

I have basically stuck w/ the plan (see photo below). Really enjoying the long-term benefits of having to not mess w/ clothing. I lost about 20 pounds so the droopy pants totally had to go, so I did spend some money on new pants and getting a few pairs altered down. I like the simplicity, looking forward to seeing how it carries into the fall. I don't see any need to make changes to what I'm doing at this point. I still have a few pairs of pants that probably should go just because I don't wear them much. Aside from the much needed pants I really haven't been buying any clothing in the past year other than an odd item here or there (e.g. a did find a blue and white stripped sweater on clearance that I purchased last week).

I've also simplified the non-work wardrobe down to a pretty particular set of jeans (one pair in particular) and the ubiquitous blue and white striped shirt.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #504 on: April 09, 2016, 08:27:53 AM »
I haven't stuck to a strict capsule wardrobe, but I accidentally fell into a uniform at work: black skirt, black tights, tight black t-shirt. It's close enough to "black dress" that the t-shirt aspect doesn't seem to be an issue. I still wear dresses to work now and then, but the skirt/shirt combo has become my default.
MJ Is A GD Ray of Sunshine

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: April 09, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
I'm actually using more of a capsule, given pregnancy size changes. :)

I'm down to 3 skirts and 6 sweaters for work, 1 pair jeans and 2 pair yoga pants for weekends. It's a little less then I would prefer, but I'm sure I will need a bigger size in another few weeks, so I'm holding off on any more for now.

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #506 on: April 09, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »
Great thread!

Even though I've purged my clothing previously, I just went through all my clothes & made a new pile to donate. Put all the remaining non-seasonal stuff back into storage.

My current capsule is 39 pieces (not including socks/stockings, underwear/bras), but including all accessories & outerwear.

- jeans x1
- pants x1
- shorts x2 (1 short, 1 knee-length)
- dresses x2
- skirts x 4
- t shirts x 2
- tank tops x 6 (3 are sleeveless blouses for work, 3 are tanks)
- sweaters x3  (1 hoodie, 1 pullover, 1 cardigan)
- long sleeve shirts x2
- camisole x2
- pyjamas x1
- bathing suit x1
- hiking boots x1
- ballet flats x1
- dress shoes x1
- sneakers x1
- vest (jacket) x1
- raincoat x1
- fitted spring jacket x1
- earrings x2
- headband x1
- sunglasses x1
- belt x1

I like really colourful, vibrant, and interesting clothing (think lots of patterns, stripes, vintage-y style, ruffles, etc...), so it's sometimes a struggle for me - my capsules sometimes end up relying too much on black/grey/muted colours. I tried to include lots of fun pieces in this round, so I don't get too bored or feel like I am not being true to myself (that's happened in the past - I'm trying to be more aware of what I LIKE wearing not what I "should" be wearing)

I'm also really interested in minimalist beauty routines - I don't wear much make up, but I have noticed that my routine has been creeping towards complication lately.... going to purge the bathroom cabinet next :)

Thanks all for the inspiration & getting me back on track!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:06:20 PM by allsummerlong »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: April 09, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
My two favourite capsule wardrobe spots right now:

http://www.paris-to-go.com/2014/08/10-pieces-1-year-project-333-zero-waste.html

http://www.savespendsplurge.com/principles-of-a-practical-minimalist-wardrobe/

These are great!

Yes! Thank you for the links.

Allsummerlong I also found I moved towards neutrals in my wardrobe with the simplification, but I was trending that way anyhow.

I found that the wardrobe followed a general pattern in my life for the past year to purge and simplify many aspects of my life, financial, clothing, routines around the house like cooking, getting rid of clutter, etc. it has been quite pleasing. I don't even really think about my work clothing any more, which is wonderfully freeing and I don't shop/try to find something to make some over piece work.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #509 on: April 13, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
Allsummerlong I also found I moved towards neutrals in my wardrobe with the simplification, but I was trending that way anyhow.

I found that the wardrobe followed a general pattern in my life for the past year to purge and simplify many aspects of my life, financial, clothing, routines around the house like cooking, getting rid of clutter, etc. it has been quite pleasing. I don't even really think about my work clothing any more, which is wonderfully freeing and I don't shop/try to find something to make some over piece work.

After my trouble with defining my fall and winter capsules, I ultimately ended up at one bigger capsule that can work for the whole year. It's mostly made up of grays and navy blues, so I too ended up with mostly neutrals.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: April 13, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
I am still following a "uniform" style for my office clothes - pants or skirt/shell/cardigan.  What I realized over the last year is that I really don't need that many pieces in my wardrobe.  I was down to 2 skirts (navy and black) and 3 pairs of pants (one gray, two black) over the fall/winter/early spring and that was perfectly fine and sufficient.  I wear jeans to work on Fridays so it's only 4 days each week when I have to wear "office clothes".  So I think I'm at a good place with bottoms.  But I still have too many tops and cardigans.  I will try to weed out some over the weekend, especially because some of my shells seem to be too tight in the chest.  Going through menopause is like puberty :-(  My body keeps on changing and nothing seems to fit.   

I also feel like I have too many casual clothes in general.  It's like the quest for the holy grail - I keep on buying new stuff hoping it will be better than what I already have.  But it very rarely is better and I end up with too much.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #511 on: April 13, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »
I also feel like I have too many casual clothes in general.  It's like the quest for the holy grail - I keep on buying new stuff hoping it will be better than what I already have.  But it very rarely is better and I end up with too much.

When I'm considering a new piece of clothing, I like to compare to something I already have. Do I like this more than item X? Would I choose this over item Y? etc. It helps me determine if it's actually better than what I already have.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
I have too many sweaters. On the other hand, they all fit in the assigned drawer, so..... I guess the bottom line is that mnfirst goal was simplicity and then spend less money, followed by minamalism.

I know transitioning through summer will lead me to purge a few more things out of my closet.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: April 14, 2016, 07:08:06 AM »
I have too many sweaters. On the other hand, they all fit in the assigned drawer, so..... I guess the bottom line is that mnfirst goal was simplicity and then spend less money, followed by minamalism.

I know transitioning through summer will lead me to purge a few more things out of my closet.

My "problem" is that I have a huge walk-in closet so using the criteria of fitting in its assigned space would lead me to having a wardrobe the size of that of Dutchess Kate :-)  I am definitely striving towards minimalism but it's not easy.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #514 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »

My "problem" is that I have a huge walk-in closet so using the criteria of fitting in its assigned space would lead me to having a wardrobe the size of that of Dutchess Kate :-)  I am definitely striving towards minimalism but it's not easy.
I'm SO jealous!  My closet is SO small (tiny, old house).  However, the closet easily fits my hanging clothes because the majority of my wardrobe is casual or workout stuff. 

I've been really happy with my smaller wardrobe (post Marie Kondo).  I've been acquiring new items to replace old ones, and everything has been going well.  EXCEPT I need a pair of nice black flats.  I want something like this:

I've been struggling to find them, and my foot is difficult to fit.  I really need to get rid of my current pair of black dress shoes because they're flaking and falling apart. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »

I'm SO jealous!  My closet is SO small (tiny, old house).  However, the closet easily fits my hanging clothes because the majority of my wardrobe is casual or workout stuff. 

I've been really happy with my smaller wardrobe (post Marie Kondo).  I've been acquiring new items to replace old ones, and everything has been going well.  EXCEPT I need a pair of nice black flats.  I want something like this:

I've been struggling to find them, and my foot is difficult to fit.  I really need to get rid of my current pair of black dress shoes because they're flaking and falling apart.

Those are nice shoes. I wear black flats almost exclusively.  Have you tried Norsstom? They are known for being particularly good for the hard to fit foot.

I have tiny, nearly nonexistent closets, so space does nicely force limitations on my clothing.

lifejoy

• Handlebar Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #516 on: April 14, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »

I have a pair of black flats that look almost identical to that! I got mine from Nine West. They fit once they stretched em for me. Definitely get leather, and get them stretched :)

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #517 on: April 14, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
I'm not sure if the Vivienne Files has already been mentioned up-thread but she has a whole section of her blog devoted to building capsule wardrobe, one piece at a time.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016/02/how-to-build-wardrobe-one-piece-at-time.html

lifejoy

• Handlebar Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #518 on: April 14, 2016, 09:58:50 PM »
I'm not sure if the Vivienne Files has already been mentioned up-thread but she has a whole section of her blog devoted to building capsule wardrobe, one piece at a time.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016/02/how-to-build-wardrobe-one-piece-at-time.html

I really liked that!!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
    • Mrs. Dinero's Journal
« Reply #519 on: April 15, 2016, 04:09:56 AM »

Loved it!

Right now my maternity wardrobe is technically capsule size but I'm wearing many hand-me-downs so they aren't my style. 

I've been following this thread and can't wait to work on a capsule wardrobe with  my regular wardrobe.   

I've Konmari'd my regular clothes and ended up with 2 dresses and a lot of work out clothes.  So I will be starting from scratch there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #520 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »
Planning to do a full Kondo of all my clothes this weekend.  I've gotten rid of a lot over the last year but still have a ton left.  Wish me luck :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: April 15, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice!  I'm planning to go to Nordstrom and DSW in a few weeks.  I went to Nine West a few weeks ago, but my size was too wide :(

Planning to do a full Kondo of all my clothes this weekend.  I've gotten rid of a lot over the last year but still have a ton left.  Wish me luck :-)
Good luck!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
    • Mrs. Dinero's Journal
« Reply #522 on: April 15, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »
@4alpacas - You might try on the Michael Kors Fulton flats.   I found these to be wider and very comfortable. 

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: April 18, 2016, 07:26:10 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice!  I'm planning to go to Nordstrom and DSW in a few weeks.  I went to Nine West a few weeks ago, but my size was too wide :(

Good luck!

Thank you.  The purge is done.  I didn't get rid of as much stuff as I would like.  As a matter of fact, I pretty much knew what would leave the closet before I even started.  But I have probably a dozen pairs of pants (all in a size too small for me now), a few shorts (too small as well), six or so tops, a bag, a couple of scarves and a  pair of shoes that will make it to the consignment store.  I also have an unworn dress/tunic to return and I packed a bag of stuff for donation as well.  Not too bad and it only took me about an hour.  Still tons of stuff left but progress has been made :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: April 18, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

Good luck!

Thank you.  The purge is done.  I didn't get rid of as much stuff as I would like.  As a matter of fact, I pretty much knew what would leave the closet before I even started.  But I have probably a dozen pairs of pants (all in a size too small for me now), a few shorts (too small as well), six or so tops, a bag, a couple of scarves and a  pair of shoes that will make it to the consignment store.  I also have an unworn dress/tunic to return and I packed a bag of stuff for donation as well.  Not too bad and it only took me about an hour.  Still tons of stuff left but progress has been made :-)
You got rid of more than 20 items!  That's impressive! 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: April 19, 2016, 05:59:51 AM »

Good luck!

Good job! And if you are anything like me, in a few months you'll do another purge and more stuff will go.

It has been frustrating to me to change pants sizes a few times in the past years. It has necessitated me buying new pants - about 3 times now. I hope to stay where I am now. But at one point I got rid of all the 'small' because they were just not wearable and purchased 'bigger.' Then I lost weight again, back to 'small' - had to buy or alter pants again. This was over the course of 3 or 4 years - so not a monthly thing or anything.  Now if I could just stay where I am!

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: April 19, 2016, 08:32:19 AM »
It has been frustrating to me to change pants sizes a few times in the past years. It has necessitated me buying new pants - about 3 times now. I hope to stay where I am now. But at one point I got rid of all the 'small' because they were just not wearable and purchased 'bigger.' Then I lost weight again, back to 'small' - had to buy or alter pants again. This was over the course of 3 or 4 years - so not a monthly thing or anything.  Now if I could just stay where I am!

I have the same issue, just reverse.  I have gone from a small size 4 to a solid 8 over the last few years.  The pants I finally decided to get rid of are all size 6 and I haven't fit into them for well over a year now.  Now I just want to stay where I am...  I hate going through menopause!

We had a first truly warm day yesterday so I broke out one of my summer outfits from last year.  Unfortunately, the cardigan will have to go.  It started shedding like crazy so that I was covered in navy fuzz from head to toe.  I've had this cardigan for a few years now and really like it but I think the repeated washing caused it to basically disintegrate...  I also have another one of the same style in a different color that I suspect will do the same thing as I try it on.  Since these cardis have been my summer office staples for a few years now, I ordered replacements (similar style) from Gap yesterday.  They had a great sale going on.  I hope I like them as much as I liked the old ones (which were from Banana Republic).

Laserjet3051

• Stubble
« Reply #527 on: April 23, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
I've maintained a minimalist wardrobe for years. It's embarassingly small my total clothing collection but I'll put forth what has allowed me to get so far down this road.

1. I dont give a shit what people think about me, especially coworkers. I do work in a semi-professional environemnt (pharmaceutical scientist), so I do have to look the part a bit.

2. I have no problem wearing the same article of clothing several times in a week, whether I have washed it or not (undergarments aside).

3. I will wear clothing until it literally falls off my body from deterioration

4. As clothing deteriorates, I play a game whereby I see how long I can go before replacing said item, letting my wardrobe dwindle  down to ridicuous levels. This extra time gives me the opportunity to sniff out rockbottom sales to replace said item(s).

5. I resign that I will have to wash more frequently due to limited clothing

6. I try to buy QUALITY clothing that is durable with a longer lifespan. Yes, hard to do in todays world, but I still try. This is especially important with footwear.

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »

After my trouble with defining my fall and winter capsules, I ultimately ended up at one bigger capsule that can work for the whole year. It's mostly made up of grays and navy blues, so I too ended up with mostly neutrals.

My basics are lots of blacks & heather greys, but I do have to be careful - too much of those & I look too pale, especially in the winter. I like lots of bright pinks, purples, rich blues, bright emerald greens, & pinky-reds as well. I also love patterns - floral, geometric, pin stripes, polka dots, etc... I am trying to alternate my "fun" pieces by pairing them w/ grey or black bottoms. Seems to be working well & is giving me enough options for work & fun.

I've actually decided to put a few pieces into storage, so my capsule count is now at 37 - (put 2 shirts & a pair of shoes back in storage & brought a fuchsia/navy dress w/ geometric patterns back into rotation). I love dresses, b/c they are an entire outfit but take up so little room.

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »
Discovering dresses were basically one choice in the morning was a life-changer for me, @allsummerlong! A few cardigans/wraps for the chill of the office, a sturdy pair of shoes, and voila.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby
« Reply #530 on: April 25, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »
I am downsizing from a clown house (2200 sf) to a 350sf Fifth wheel trailer. We will have access to a W/D, but at the expense of invading someone's home when we do wash... so, I am looking to create a 2 week wardrobe for work. So far I'm down to 5 prs. pants: 3 jeggings, 2 pr nice jeans. Tops Im going with white tshirts for casual, 5 hoodies (this is going to be hard as I have so many) say 3 sweater layers with 3 to 5 nice under tops (cream or white)

I have a lifetime supply of scarves, not sure I want to have them as part of this rotation or not yet. I think for now I will box and store them all up at the main house and if I feel too drab, I will pull out a couple of colorful ones for summer.

This is going to be soooo hard for me as Im used to lots of options.

I only wear Frye boots(for the jeggings) and Georgie Boy pull ons (for the jeans), going to limit to 3 pair total work shoes over the summer, will see how that goes.

For exercising I need yoga pants (have many pair) say 2 pair, and one pair of sweatpants for walking. Tennies... Lets toss in a couple pair of shorts, khakis (don't own these yet).

gah, hope I can make this work! DH needs some room for his clothes too:)

Will be monitoring this thread as I ebb and flow through this process. We list our home next week, so very soon I will need to put my plan into action.

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »
Discovering dresses were basically one choice in the morning was a life-changer for me, @allsummerlong! A few cardigans/wraps for the chill of the office, a sturdy pair of shoes, and voila.
Exactly! so easy.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: April 25, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »
Exactly! so easy.

Interesting. One of my decisions in paring down was the get rid of all my dresses and skirts. My go to is black pants and a white blouse. I get so cold in the winter in dresses and legging drive me nuts because they never quite fit right.

I guess the moral of the story so find the one thing that works for you and do it over and over - be that dresses or black pants.

Total side note. We have denim day at work this Wednesday. This has never happened before and probably won't happen again. I a, so excited! White blouse and jeans instead of white blouse and black pants. Super exciting!

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #533 on: April 26, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »
Exactly! so easy.

Interesting. One of my decisions in paring down was the get rid of all my dresses and skirts. My go to is black pants and a white blouse. I get so cold in the winter in dresses and legging drive me nuts because they never quite fit right.

I guess the moral of the story so find the one thing that works for you and do it over and over - be that dresses or black pants.

Total side note. We have denim day at work this Wednesday. This has never happened before and probably won't happen again. I a, so excited! White blouse and jeans instead of white blouse and black pants. Super exciting!

I have decided to get rid of my dresses as well.  I don't really like wearing dresses that much and have a hard time finding dresses that fit me well.  I mostly wear pants but I do like pencil skirts so I have 3 of them (worn with the same tops that I wear with my pants). 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »
Interesting how reducing wardrobe means not Judy picking out what you like, but categorically eliminating some pieces (no dresses!). Certainly helps with reducing the volume of clothing.

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #535 on: April 26, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »

Interesting. One of my decisions in paring down was the get rid of all my dresses and skirts. 
I have decided to get rid of my dresses as well.

This is all so fascinating! I am fully on "team dress" but I can completely understand how not everyone would be. I love them for travelling as well, as it is a whole outfit that rolls up quite small in your bag.  I actually got rid of all my dress pants & superfluous jeans/casual pants :D To each their own.

I have 3 dresses, a pencil skirt, and 3 short-ish A-line skirts that I alternate for work. I sometimes will also wear jeans (very casual work environment).

I like that capsule wardrobes are so adaptable to everyone's particular style & needs.

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #536 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
Interesting how reducing wardrobe means not Judy picking out what you like, but categorically eliminating some pieces (no dresses!). Certainly helps with reducing the volume of clothing.

I'm curious about how many clothes you all have in storage for other seasons? I have 1 large rubbermaid bin and an out of the way closet w/ a small amount of things like winter boots/coat/mitts, etc... I'm starting to feel like I can actually purge that down even more (I've already been through several purges). Some of the clothes I used to love when I was younger no longer feel "like me." Did you notice that your style changed as you aged?

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #537 on: April 26, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
I don't put anything away for the seasons - I layer or wear sweaters when I travel to offices (air conditioning gets me) so other than things that already live in the coat closet there isn't much of a change. With a small wardrobe it doesnt take up much closet space :-)

I am team skirt and team jegging.  I went a winter without skinny jeans and while I like my regular jeans, they make my 5'4" self look even shorter. I love my floor length maxi dresses so much I am eyeing a floor length skirt for more variety with the same quality - breathes in the summer but keeps some warmth in the winter while looking fantastic.  That was definitely a surprise to me: I bought my first because it was configurable and I planned on wearing it short most of the time, only to find that I liked it long.

I do not own non-athletic shorts. My last pair wore out years ago and never replaced them. I avoid dress pants if I can but prefer to wear them during travel days for comfort. 

More capsule than uniform these days, but I did the uniform for a while - I got bored having the same shape all of the time. That being said, I don't have makeup, jewelry,  or scarves to mix things up.  I tried once - not me.

5 years in to a small wardrobe and I still try to keep it as optimised as possible! 40 items total for year round I think? New fancy job had an influx of Goodwill professional clothing, so maybe a bit higher than that now.

I will add Brass to the list of clothing manufacturers of quality, timeless,  and decently priced (my price point is higher than some here - I vote with my dollars for transparency and ethics. Clothing and food see the bulk of that charity tax), Seamly.co and Icebreaker/Patagonia to the list.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: April 26, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »

I'm curious about how many clothes you all have in storage for other seasons? I have 1 large rubbermaid bin and an out of the way closet w/ a small amount of things like winter boots/coat/mitts, etc... I'm starting to feel like I can actually purge that down even more (I've already been through several purges). Some of the clothes I used to love when I was younger no longer feel "like me." Did you notice that your style changed as you aged?

None. I have no clothing in storage. Everything fits in my closet (about a 30" long closet rod) and dresser. I used to have bins under the bed, but they were eliminated in the general purge. I feel like I have a few too many long sleeved shirts and probably one or two redundant sweaters, a couple pairs of dress pants that might go. I am sure another purge will come along before too long. One of my hard limits on the clothing is everything has to fit w/o using bins.

I recently bought a couple pairs of short, one workout capri (like yoga pants I guess), and some new jog bras (purged many more out that were sad and elastic gone on them).

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #539 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:59 AM »
I have a bunch of items out of rotation seasonally, but all of them in my large closet so not stored away.  Currently my wool and cashmere sweaters, long sleeve t-shirts, flannel shirts, corduroy pants and wool pants are put away for the summer.  In the winter, I have shorts, t-shirts, white jeans, lightweight cotton pants, lightweight cotton and linen sweaters folded and put away on a high shelf in the closet.  With the climate I live in, we can have snowy winters with temps in single digits and sweltering summers with temps in the 90s, both for weeks at a time.  It would be difficult to have one set of clothes that works for all seasons.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: April 28, 2016, 03:47:24 AM »
I do rotate seasonally, even though Marie Kondo said not too. The reason for me is that in my climate I need sleeveless stuff for summer, and sleeves for winter. I know people say 'layer' but I can be bothered shaving my underarms without good reason in the winter, so I wouldn't feel presentable wearing something sleeveless even with a cardigan on top with stubble (ugh, sorry TMI. But I've always wondered whether 'layering' people are just very regular shavers?).

Also, warm dresses for winter etc just clutter the wardrobe in the summer. I prefer having space all year round, even though I could fit everything in at once. The extra items add to my decision fatigue if I keep them in the wardrobe, as I have to mentally rule them out every day. Better for me to have them stored elsewhere.

Elsewhere, btw, is just a drawer in my regular dresser. I put everything away (clean) at the change of the season. If we were to get unusual weather I can easily get something out, but they aren't hanging in my wardrobe, or in my 'shirt' drawer, so I can effectively forget about out of season items.

(Before Kondoing they were stored high up and out of reach and it was much drama to do the switchover. Now I have less stuff the drawer solution is brilliant, as I can add things over a few weeks as the seasons change instead of a big swap all at once). Everything that is single-season fits in one drawer (large Ikea malm).

Diniecita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #541 on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:47 PM »
I love my capsule wardrobe. I have 42 pieces. I follow the unfancy.com 37 number. I can get to that number, but I really like having more shoe options. I have been working on mine for a few years. purging things that I didn't wear and finding things at the thrift store for a dollar to test out certain looks. I figured out what looks best on my body and I've been sticking with that. With all the cycling I've been doing lately I may have to buy some new pants soon. My old ones aren't fitting right anymore. I, unlike some of the people who have posted before, actually enjoy shopping a little bit. As long as I'm not going with someone who wants to stay all day or take me to the mall. I like to go places that sell quality things or to the thrift stores.
Does anybody here do their capsule wardrobe by their seasonal coloring? I do, and I feel certain colors look better on me. For example, I rarely wear black as I'm a light summer.
Trying to create our FI homestead for a better life.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: September 15, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »
Bumping again.

Still wearing the same stuff from when the thread started. A few of the white shirts are a bit grayish now. I am waiting until November to replace a couple because last year Express had BYGO sales around Black Friday.

I would post pictures but they would be exactly the same as earlier ones. :). Spending way way way way less on clothes than in previous years; arguably replaced by spending on triathlon equipment (defintely more bang for my buck). Still make occasional missteps on things I purchase in terms of wardrobe, but frequency is down like 90%.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #543 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »
I have not followed my clothing guide at all. Bought a few things, swapped a few things, wore whatever I wanted. I am starting to cull again and drop off clothes at a thrift store. I'm not going to set a strict numerical goal, though. The tracking was too much.
MJ Is A GD Ray of Sunshine

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #544 on: September 17, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
I still wouldn't call my wardrobe a capsule, but it's doing well.  I have my rules, certain colors and shapes that I love and look good on me, and I've stuck to that.  Yesterday I did a full on purge of every drawer and hanger, and what remains is fantastic!  I might replace 1 or 2 sweaters that I loved but had worn out, but that's about all.

stashgrower

• Stubble
« Reply #545 on: October 18, 2016, 03:26:59 AM »
Posting to follow. I don't have a capsule wardrobe for work, but would like to head that way for ease and frugality.

ETA: OK, just read through the thread! Ms P, I like your capsule, it looks very appropriate. Got MK on reserve at the library. Long waitlist!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:37:37 AM by stashgrower »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #546 on: October 18, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »
I am doing a few updates. Decided against cardigans (too fussy). Replaced a few white shirts that are more grey now. Decided to get the shirts from Express, and pants as well. Both fit me well and were on sale for 40% off this weekend. Got a few sweaters to replace the cardigans (v-neck or crew pullovers only now). Purging more stuff. Kind of change of seasons time to get rid of the most offensively stained sweatpants and get some winter running and cycling gear. My work clothes are more and more the same outfit every day, with slight variations in color. Two new pairs of warm shoes. I reached a new level of clarity in terms of what I am most comfortable wearing at work. I'll post a couple new photos over the next few days. 

Irrationally in love with both pairs of shoes.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: October 19, 2016, 04:57:30 AM »
Today's uniform. Pants and shirt are old. New shoes (pictured above) and sweater (standard crew neck).

Not a great photo, but you get the general idea.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
I'm in love with your shoes too! <3
Be Less Crazy, my blog

Be Less Crazy About Your Body, my book

Madgecast, my podcast on resistance and resilience in 2017 America

My MMM journal

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: October 19, 2016, 09:11:19 AM »
I'm in love with your shoes too! <3

They are super comfortable! Like all day right out of the box walk all over comfortable.