Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 211919 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
The everlame shirts and sweaters I purchased quite a while back didn't hold up for me. The sweater progressively shrank until it was unwearable, despite following care instructions. The t-shirt necklines twisted and the shirts shrank funny. They aren't made in the US and I wouldn't buy from them again.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:22:10 PM by MsPeacock »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks for all of the Everlane feedback.  I think I was sucked in by their sleek website and simple designs.  I will steer clear of their clothing in the future.

I love Madewell jeans! I got my last pair on ebay (tag said Nordstrom Rack), and they're alright, but my pair from the actual store held up really well for a long time.
I love buying used jeans on eBay.  It's insane how little people want for a pair of jeans that has been worn only a few times. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
MSPeacock, you'll have to let us know how your uniform goes in your new job.  Is the new office more or less dressy.?  Any alteration to  your slacks/blouse/sweater uniform?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
MSPeacock, you'll have to let us know how your uniform goes in your new job.  Is the new office more or less dressy.?  Any alteration to  your slacks/blouse/sweater uniform?

I will definitely let you know! For my interview the director was nicely dressed for the office. I wore a suit, of course. I swung in the other day to pick up some papers and one person was wearing jeans and the others comfortable business clothes (khakis, blouse). My plan is to keep wearing the same thing. I replaced a couple white shirts that have worn out and got two new pairs of (the exact same) pants I always wear. I have three patterned shirts (otherwise same brand and style of the white shirts) that I can wear when it is too hot for a sweater. The clothing suits me and I think it will most likely be fine for the new job. If not I'll get a few blazers and that will be a little dressier.

I am going to start biking to work, so we will see how that goes. I'll need to throw on leggings or something for the very short ride.

westtoeast

• Bristles
I haven't posted before, but I've really enjoyed reading the tips on here.

I've found a few great capsule items that I'd like to share. I don't think they've been listed but I may have missed it-- apologies if so!
Express Portofino Collared Blouses (These are amazing-- they come in a wider and a slim fit with many pattern options... if you buy the non-sheer ones they look great alone or with sweaters over them. They also look really nice under a sleeveless sheath dress)
Uniqlo Crewneck Sweaters (Cable knit or regular... nice colors, hold up well if you machine wash and dry flat, they look great over the collared blouses mentioned before. I find I need to order a size up from my normal size.)
J.Jill Ponte Skirts (Lots of colors, professional look, works with above-mentioned items)

I've come to a good place with my capsule where I have a nice blend of collared blouses, crewneck sweaters, long cardigans, and skirts. Sweaters and skirts are in my base colors of gray, black, dark blue, dark green or maroon and blouses are in more fun patterns that match the base colors. My challenges are 1) making the decision to donate or sell some of the funkier unique items I acquired in younger years, and 2) balancing finding the "just right" items with my desire to buy used clothing. It's hard to wait for these items to appear in Goodwill but I don't feel great financially or ethically buying new clothes. Hmm.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
I haven't posted before, but I've really enjoyed reading the tips on here.

I've found a few great capsule items that I'd like to share. I don't think they've been listed but I may have missed it-- apologies if so!
Express Portofino Collared Blouses (These are amazing-- they come in a wider and a slim fit with many pattern options... if you buy the non-sheer ones they look great alone or with sweaters over them. They also look really nice under a sleeveless sheath dress)
Uniqlo Crewneck Sweaters (Cable knit or regular... nice colors, hold up well if you machine wash and dry flat, they look great over the collared blouses mentioned before. I find I need to order a size up from my normal size.)
J.Jill Ponte Skirts (Lots of colors, professional look, works with above-mentioned items)

I've come to a good place with my capsule where I have a nice blend of collared blouses, crewneck sweaters, long cardigans, and skirts. Sweaters and skirts are in my base colors of gray, black, dark blue, dark green or maroon and blouses are in more fun patterns that match the base colors. My challenges are 1) making the decision to donate or sell some of the funkier unique items I acquired in younger years, and 2) balancing finding the "just right" items with my desire to buy used clothing. It's hard to wait for these items to appear in Goodwill but I don't feel great financially or ethically buying new clothes. Hmm.

Portofino shirts are my go-to shirt also. With attrition of other clothes from my closet they are now my only blouse.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
Ah, I'm glad to see this thread back in my feed cos I meant to reply to it! I feel as though I have achieved wardrobe nirvana recently and it's so beautiful!

I have a base core of items that fit into a carry-on that I can wear just about anywhere: a couple of cool modern-looking asymmetrical t-shirt dresses, skinny jeans, fancy black joggers, a black blazer, some simple knit tops, a couple really nice sweaters, leggings, and 3 pair of shoes (white adidas with black stripes, those black Clarks oxfords that Ms Peacock has, and black chacos sandals). Everything mixes and matches and can be dressed up or down and gosh, it's a really nice feeling to know I definitely have something cute and comfy to wear, wherever I need to go.

On one of the podcasts I listen to, the host was talking about how she likes to maintain a high "wardrobe GPA" in that almost everything in there is an A. The concept stuck with me and it's definitely keeping me from buying anything that would drag my GPA down.

Since I'm a larger lady (size 20) it's not always easy to hold out for the high GPA items. Until recently it's been a lot of shitty prints and gross polyesters and cold shoulders. WHY THE COLD SHOULDER, FASHION, STOP IT. But plus size clothes have taken a big step forward in the last few years. Right now I'm really into a company called Universal Standard. The clothes aren't cheap, nor are they designer-level expensive. They are simple, modern designs, well made of good fabrics, and that is 100% what I want. I've worn the t-shirt dresses I got from them dozens of times by now, and still look really great.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update pg 16
« Reply #757 on: November 07, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »

I will definitely let you know! For my interview the director was nicely dressed for the office. I wore a suit, of course. I swung in the other day to pick up some papers and one person was wearing jeans and the others comfortable business clothes (khakis, blouse). My plan is to keep wearing the same thing. I replaced a couple white shirts that have worn out and got two new pairs of (the exact same) pants I always wear. I have three patterned shirts (otherwise same brand and style of the white shirts) that I can wear when it is too hot for a sweater. The clothing suits me and I think it will most likely be fine for the new job. If not I'll get a few blazers and that will be a little dressier.

I am going to start biking to work, so we will see how that goes. I'll need to throw on leggings or something for the very short ride.

Started the new job a few months ago. My old wardrobe works just fine - absolutely no problem whatsoever. I bike in to work, weather permitting, in whatever outside clothes are appropriate (t-shirt and shorts) and then change at work. There is a huge closet right outside my office so I now have about 1/2 my wardrobe of work clothes stashed there. When I drive in I bring some clean clothes in to hang up and take home my bag of dirty work clothes to launder. It works so well! Most of the staff is younger than me and dresses professionally, but a bit more casually than I do (e.g. chinos instead of dress trousers). Fridays are 'casual' - meaning jeans and a dress blouse. I mostly forget about that because I am in a routine and just wear my regular outfits anyhow.  I keep a few pairs of shoes at work as well. I change back into my 'regular' clothes to bike home.

Waiting on black Friday when Express has 50% off everything to stock up on a few more white shirts.

Rimu05

• Bristles
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15
« Reply #758 on: November 07, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
Have you seen those huge scarves that are practically blankets?  That's my office scarf, it lives on my chair at work and keeps me warm when my clothes fail.

I also wear fingerless mittens, keeps my hands and wrists warm while still allowing me to use my fingers typing.  I actually made these out of a cashmere sweater that I didn't like the cut of.

If you ever get the chance to buy a kikoy or Maasai blanket. Go for it. I use mine for the office and everyone stops to ask where I got it. I got mine in my country but I am sure whole foods or one of these fair trade places is selling this. There has to be a website that has stolen this design. I saw a Louis Vuitton show where they pretty much sold these for hundreds of dollars like it was their idea...

abhe8

• Bristles
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15
« Reply #759 on: February 27, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
Any updates, now that we are finally seeing some warmer weather? I have a bag of work clothes waiting to go to the tailer and I am due for a closet clean out. I find this thread so inspirational!

Just_Looking_Here

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm slowly losing weight and fitting back into my smaller sizes, but doing it slowly has means I'm getting my money's worth from the larger sizes!

Many clothes will be ok to donate to charity, a few are nice enough to sell and some are worn out....

The aim is to settle on a smaller range of sizes and concentrate on a simple 'uniform'. I may need to get rid of some of the smallest sizes as I think these were bought delusionally!

How are others getting on?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Hi everyone! I haven’t been on ages and was surprised to see the thread had been active recently. I’m plugging along with my same “uniform” still in rotation. Could prune out a couple dresss that I never wear anymore. Almost all my work clothes now live at work, which is really handy. One of the nicer changes for me, in the l9ng run, is that I have really lost 8nterrst in shopping at all. No impulse purchases of cute clothes at target and such. I jut can’t be bothered!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
How are others getting on?

My post-partum body is yet to decide it wants to fit back into my work dresses (GIANT BOOBS) though I only had a couple left anyway as I'd been letting my wardrobe wear out and dwindle in anticipation of needing maternity wear. So my "smart casual" wardrobe (flowy dresses, cardigans, either sandals or mary janes with tights) is my overall wardrobe now. I'm trying to go this whole year without buying clothes (unlikely to succeed) and once I do buy clothes again, I want to do it mindfully and construct a uniform for each of my needs: work, smart casual, casual park wear, athletic wear. I didn't need "casual park wear" before I had a baby, but now I do - well, either that or expensive athletic wear to sub in for park time, and I think it would be cheaper and easier to separate out the uniforms.

Lifestyle changes really do change what I need to wear - I never wore sandals before, as I was in air con (either home or in the office) all summer. Now I'm out and about a fair bit with the baby, and so I need sandals to wear bare-legged with dresses.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
Yeah, I'm currently pregnant, looking forward to get back into my usual wardrobe next year...
Exept that I'll also switch careers, so my usual wardrobe will get a much more limited use, and I'll have to buy fancier stuff to face customers. Urgh.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
I just discovered this thread and am happy to have found it.
I have always struggled with scarcity mindset and have recently really been letting go of it more and more.  I think a capsule style approach to my wardrobe would be healthy.  If I find something like a brand name sweater at the thrift store I can get unreasonably attached to it because I've never been able to afford one new.  I'm done with that, I want clothing that is functional and fashionable.

I've recently become interested in a capsule wardrobe, but have my own unique things that pop up too.  Most capsule wardrobes don't count "Gym Clothes" unless you wear them for non gym activities.  I cross-wear my gym clothes for my dog walking side hustle (and sometimes to my tutoring job on the weekends if I want to be comfortable), so haven't been sure how to consider them.  They're definitely wear once, then wash type situations when I wear them.

For my day job I have two identical outfits (I purchased two of the same pair of pants, two of the same dress shirt, and two black blazers) and I simply rotate them occasionally throwing in a sweater/cardigan instead of the blazer.  I wear the same pair of dress shoes every day- going on two years now.  I work at day job 3x/week in an office-ish setting.

I only buy at the Thrift or occasionally buy at a Marshalls/TG Maxx/Discount type store and not counting my work "uniform" and my gym clothes... I think I'd struggle to have even 50 pieces, but I think 50 would be a good goal for me... I can count shoes, bags, scarves (reluctant to do this, I have like 5 scarves-I'm a cold person!), and jewelry too if I want to make it a tougher challenge.

I'm curious to go through the actions of the capsuling method in order to see what matches with what and how I can wear each item that I already own.  I only wear neutral colors 99% (I have one really cute 1970's tropical floral top) and no prints unless they are striped or dotted (rare).... so I am pretty easy to please and match.

Looking forward to digging out my drawers soon!

*What do y'all think I should do in consideration of my work out clothes?  I have 4 of the same pair of Marika volleyball style tights and 10 plain racerback tank tops all the same brand just in varying blues, greys, and black.  I wear them to the gym (soaked when I'm finished, can't re-wear) and for days I have back-to-back-to-back sweaty outdoor dog walks (also soaked by the time I'm done).  I have a few pair of shorts (2) and one pair of HUGE LUXURIOUS sweatpants.  I don't wear pajamas, I wear the workout clothes (clean, fyi) to bed. 

*Every now and then I'll wear a pair of the tights with one of my sweaters for a more dressed up but casual look.  Maybe once a month.

Should I count them?

Just_Looking_Here

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #765 on: December 06, 2018, 03:56:57 PM »
I wouldn't get too hung up on a number, but look at whether you're getting full use out of all your clothes.

Are there any that sit in your wardrobe or drawers unworn? Could you make more use of these items or consider getting rid of them by giving to charity or recycling...?