Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 130852 times)

cheesecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #700 on: December 12, 2016, 02:01:10 PM »

Haflinger slippers are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. Mine are about 8 years old. Lots of support, and warm.

ETA the LL Bean slippers look exactly the same at half the cost!

Thanks for the tip - clog-style slippers tend to slip off my feet while navigating stairs, so I'm looking for a moccasin-style slipper. I ordered the Haflinger mocs from zappos; they do indeed have arch support ... but it's oddly forward of my arch, so it feels weird. Going back, sigh.

I actually found slipper-socks at costco the other day and bought them to try, and I like them! No arch support, but then they don't pretend to have arch support (like everything with memory foam). I might just see how the winter goes with them, unless I randomly come across my Perfect Slipper :)

Car Jack

• Bristles
« Reply #701 on: December 12, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »
Over the weekend, I was cleaning up our basement and found a box of boots, shoes and gloves.  Went through it and found a pair of my son's old shoes he used for skateboarding or biking or something long ago as he's 3 sizes bigger.  Just my size.  All black so I can wear them at work.  Free shoes FTW.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #702 on: December 13, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
Today: black pants (Express), blue patterned shirt (Express - hard to see), blue sweater (Sears).  Nothing too exciting here.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #703 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
I'm struggling with undergarments.  I was fitted for a bra, and I was wearing the wrong size by a long shot.  I bought two new bras, but I probably need to pick up another regular bra and a strapless one.  Anyone have any favorites?  I just bought two Natori bras that are amazingly comfortable, which might be due to the fact that I'm finally wearing the right size bra, but are really expensive.

The website I meant to link to was figleaves.com They sell Freya, Panache, Chantelle and dozens more brands. THeir own branded lingerie is also pretty fantastic. They do not sell Natori though. So I got 3 excellent bras and a pair of underwear for $89 (including shipping), Nordstrom was $140 for two bras by the same brands.

I was also recommended Bravissimo.com which I was told  they are a great find for the small band size and a large cup size combo that is so difficult to find. They also sell tops that have enough material in them, so that you can wear a dress or button down shirt without the annoying tendency of the fabric gaping open or pulling too tightly across the curves.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #704 on: December 14, 2016, 04:32:47 AM »
Today: Old Navy pants - at least 10 years old. They are dark brown w/ pink and grey pinstripes. They are lined and good quality - from back long ago when Old Navy made reasonable quality clothing.   Sears sweater (new - I bought 4 or 5 in different colors - LOVE this sweater. It is a bull's eye for my uniform) and Forever 21 white shirt (old).

I hate these shoes w/ dress pants and socks. They were the only ones that I own that more or less match. I am wishing for a pair of burgundy or ox blood wingtips (which would go w/ many things). Just holding out on those now since I've spent some money on clothes recently.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #705 on: December 14, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
I'm struggling with undergarments.  I was fitted for a bra, and I was wearing the wrong size by a long shot.  I bought two new bras, but I probably need to pick up another regular bra and a strapless one.  Anyone have any favorites?  I just bought two Natori bras that are amazingly comfortable, which might be due to the fact that I'm finally wearing the right size bra, but are really expensive.

The website I meant to link to was figleaves.com They sell Freya, Panache, Chantelle and dozens more brands. THeir own branded lingerie is also pretty fantastic. They do not sell Natori though. So I got 3 excellent bras and a pair of underwear for $89 (including shipping), Nordstrom was $140 for two bras by the same brands.

I was also recommended Bravissimo.com which I was told  they are a great find for the small band size and a large cup size combo that is so difficult to find. They also sell tops that have enough material in them, so that you can wear a dress or button down shirt without the annoying tendency of the fabric gaping open or pulling too tightly across the curves.
Thanks for the recommendations!  I'll have to check out the sites. 

MsPeacock, I love the pants!  They're "boring" in a way that I like, but they have a little flair up close. 

I bought a floor length gown for a holiday event that I have to go to with my DH on Friday.  I tried a few thrift stores in my area, but the selection was too small (most of the dresses were too large).  I ended up buying a dress on sale (~$80) at a Macy's.  Of course, I had to have the dress hemmed (~$35).  Now I'm sure the dress will sit in my closet for years until I have another formal event.  How do you handle black swan type events?

As an upside to the formal dress I picked out, there was a built in bra, so I didn't have to buy a special bra.  Tiny victories.

I have the dress I wore to my 20th high school reunion 10 years ago in my closet. The 30th is this year and I will most likely wear the same dress. Who could possibly remember? I have one other sort of dressy dress. I feel like you have to have one or two of these things for the occasional unavoidable event where they are required. Kind of like how some men have one suit that is just for weddings and such. At least men can wear the same suit to an interview and a funeral. The dressy dress seems to only be useful for party sorts of events.

There are those gown rental services,  it I think they cost more than $80 to rent and there is still the issue of length to deal with.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #706 on: December 14, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
My concern with blazers is that my arms are very long, and my shoulders very broad for a woman. I've never once found a blazer that fits. My winter jacket is about 2" too short on the wrists =\ I just gave up and learned to live with it.

This is a late reply, but have you considered buying blazers and rolling up the sleeves?

I do that with mine because I prefer having my forearms free/bare, better range of motion, so no-one would notice if the sleeves were short.

Or you can buy blazers with 3/4 or cuffed sleeves.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #707 on: December 14, 2016, 06:58:35 PM »
My concern with blazers is that my arms are very long, and my shoulders very broad for a woman. I've never once found a blazer that fits. My winter jacket is about 2" too short on the wrists =\ I just gave up and learned to live with it.

This is a late reply, but have you considered buying blazers and rolling up the sleeves?

I do that with mine because I prefer having my forearms free/bare, better range of motion, so no-one would notice if the sleeves were short.

Or you can buy blazers with 3/4 or cuffed sleeves.

That's what I do with sweaters- get 3/4 length sleeves. Doesn't solve the shoulder issues though. I have approx women's size L-XL shoulders, but I wear size small or XS otherwise. In a structured garment, that is very problematic =\
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #708 on: December 14, 2016, 07:12:52 PM »
Bracken Joy - I have the same issue. I a built like a swimmer. My shoulders are very broad relative to the rest of my body, and in particular my chest. It is a rare blazer that I don't have to buy in a size 10 or something and have the body taken down. I wear maybe a 2 or 4 for my body. I sort of have given up on blazers for the most part at this point anyhow. Shockingly the cheap blazers from Express fit me - go figure.

I think this problem is just more common than we probably think. Men's clothing is sized much better than women's - I mean, it seems that there are a much wider range of shirt sizes, and pants that come in a variety of lengths for me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #709 on: December 14, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
Bracken Joy - I have the same issue. I a built like a swimmer. My shoulders are very broad relative to the rest of my body, and in particular my chest. It is a rare blazer that I don't have to buy in a size 10 or something and have the body taken down. I wear maybe a 2 or 4 for my body. I sort of have given up on blazers for the most part at this point anyhow. Shockingly the cheap blazers from Express fit me - go figure.

I think this problem is just more common than we probably think. Men's clothing is sized much better than women's - I mean, it seems that there are a much wider range of shirt sizes, and pants that come in a variety of lengths for me.

I think this might be fairly common in taller women? Seems to be a pattern I've noticed. And yes on men's clothes- in fact, my mom has pretty well given up and just buys men's henleys, lol. She's even taller and broader shouldered than I am, but same proportions. She told me when she worked in a professional office environment, she had to get custom made clothes, literally nothing fit off rack. (Small city in the 70s, woo). So at least it sounds like it's improved some over the years!
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #710 on: December 14, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
I have the reverse issue.  Size M at the shoulders, but XL at the hips.  Shirts are very hard, because changing the whole shoulder is expensive. 

I have started using True & Co for bras.  They help with sizing and fit and it is all online.  I really like them.  I probably have a friend discount code if anyone is interested.  Their bras have held up well.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #711 on: December 16, 2016, 06:41:58 AM »
Good mornng.

Yesterday's work outfit of the brown pants, white shirt, tan sweater. Everything is old. Looks fine imo.

Today's cat 2 two pairs of leggings because it is super cold outside, under armour top, ugg boots that are a xmas gift and are super cozy.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: December 17, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »
Put three pairs of shoes in the Goodwill pile and edging closer to a casual clothing purge. The workout clothes are a jumbled mess. I need to pull the bike gear out and find a bin or something for storage. It really has almost no overlap with the other categories of clothing.

I've been slowly weeding down the shoes. Got rid of pretty much all the heels because they are uncomfortable and most of my clothing no longer fits with heels.

Dressy party to attend tonight. The ladies are usually wearing full length gowns. I make due with whatever I have. Last year I wore a black blazer and my boyfriends white dress shirt with black leggings and boots. Might do the same this year.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #713 on: December 19, 2016, 05:07:34 AM »
Monday update - all this you've seen before, plus silver belt (not new - maybe 8 years old). Express pants, Sears sweater, Forever 21 shirt, Clark's shoes. Comfy and warm.

Got no closer to wedding down the Category 1 and 2 clothing this weekend....

Didn't attend the fancy dress party so I have nothing to report on that. (I went out to start the car and my battery was dead and being pretty introverted and having already attended 2 parties in the past 2 days - I was relieved. Instead walked down the street and got pizza at the pub.)

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #714 on: December 19, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »

Didn't attend the fancy dress party so I have nothing to report on that. (I went out to start the car and my battery was dead and being pretty introverted and having already attended 2 parties in the past 2 days - I was relieved. Instead walked down the street and got pizza at the pub.)

LOL.... is this the modern version of " I need to wash my hair tonite "?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #715 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »

LOL.... is this the modern version of " I need to wash my hair tonite "?

Ha - It might be. As an introvert I sometimes need an excuse to bow out once I am overwhelmed. The car battery was a real situation, but it did give me a polite way out of the party.

Today - ok, you all have seen this all before.

I'm going to stop w/ the work uniform posts for a while, since it is quite repetitive. I'm planning to work on the other categories of clothes and do some posts on that as I get through it.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #716 on: December 24, 2016, 01:13:32 AM »
Hurrah, windfall. Post friend's wardrobe sweep, I have a mild-weather work capsule once I find a couple of neutrals to match.

Villanelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #717 on: December 29, 2016, 09:11:51 PM »
Depending on how often you have a need to dress up, you might keep an eye out for a formal skirt.  When paired with a white button down, it's very stylish and yet can still be appropriate for a formal occasion.  Maybe it's not something you care much about, but I feel very disrespectful if not dressed appropriately, and I feel self-conscious which make my introversion worse.  This would only add one piece to your wardrobe but it would play well with other things you own. 

Depending on your taste it could be full (probably looks the most formal) or fitted.  They key would be to get it in a formal, dressy fabric like taffeta, sequins, etc.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #718 on: December 30, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »
Post-Christmas sales. I know. Money was spent. But I have two neutrals that fit with other items in my wardrobe, and cross off the coffee-with-friends - business-casual categories.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
This is a category 1 outfit: uggs, stretch jeans (several years old and miracles that fit with 20 pound weight fluctuations without being too tight), American Giant "city sweatshirt".

I ordered a few items recently from American Giant and I have been really pleased with the items. The first was a hoodie. It is very heavy and well made. I find the sleeves a bit stiff and constricting, but I think they will break in over time. True to the companies promise, absolutely no shrinking of any item with washing and drying.

The city sweatshirt above is actually not fleece. It is more like a heavy weight shirt, and the fabric has gold sparkels in it. This is a size small. I love how it fits and that I can layer under it, the cut and length are great. This item went in and out f stock several times before I managed to get it. Definitely going to be a staple in my wardrobe.

I also ordered two t-shirts from American Giant, one of their "classic" t-shirts for 24.50 and one of the "premium" shirts for 34.50. I have not yet washed or worn them. I will post pictures and updates of them soon. My initial impression of the premium shirt is that it is worth every penny of the 34.50 and will be a favorite. The fabric is amazing and the back seam is flattering and interesting. The regular shirt seems, well regular. But if they hold their shape and size with washing, as the other items havE, they will also become standards for me.

Additionally I got a pair of classic swats and a pair of jogger sweats. They are fantastic and also hold their size and shape with washing. I am extremely pleased.

So, America. Giant is expensive, but made in the US, and the quality is very very high. So far so good!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:03:43 PM by MsPeacock »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
The cut of that is fantastic! I look forward to your feedback about durability, pilling, etc. Thanks so much for keeping this updated!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
The AG City Swearthirt has been on my wishlist for months, but I can't convince myself to pulp the trigger at that price - it's litefally 10 times what i pay for cashmere sweaters at the thrift store... And I surely don't need more clothes... But I looove it!
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
The AG City Swearthirt has been on my wishlist for months, but I can't convince myself to pulp the trigger at that price - it's litefally 10 times what i pay for cashmere sweaters at the thrift store... And I surely don't need more clothes... But I looove it!
I have an American Giant hoodie that my DH bought me two years ago, and it's still in perfect shape.  I also have purchased inexpensive cashmere sweaters (that I love) at the thrift store, but there is something so easy about tossing a sweatshirt in the washer and dryer and not worrying about it. 

My DH has an AG hoodie (zip front) that he wears multiple times per week, and it still looks brand new. 

I'm looking forward to your review of the t-shirts, MsPeacock.  I still have quite a few Madewell slub v-necks, but they're starting to develop holes. 

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was wondering if anyone would have some dress suggestions for me.

I have been working on developing a capsule wardrobe. I'm finding my signature style is kind of tomboy-rocker, lol. One thing I feel really comfortable in is straight or skinny jeans, ankle boots, graphic-t, blazer. I would, however, love to incorporate a couple of less-girly dresses. I travel often for work and they take up much less space, plus, to be honest, I have really nice calves, lol. Given my height (5'2"), hitting right at the knee is the perfect length for me. This would also be great for summer - I'm not a fan of shorts and how they look on me.

Any suggestions for where I could find stylish, but not girly, dresses? That would go well with my collection of ankle boots?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
I was wondering if anyone would have some dress suggestions for me.

I have been working on developing a capsule wardrobe. I'm finding my signature style is kind of tomboy-rocker, lol. One thing I feel really comfortable in is straight or skinny jeans, ankle boots, graphic-t, blazer. I would, however, love to incorporate a couple of less-girly dresses. I travel often for work and they take up much less space, plus, to be honest, I have really nice calves, lol. Given my height (5'2"), hitting right at the knee is the perfect length for me. This would also be great for summer - I'm not a fan of shorts and how they look on me.

Any suggestions for where I could find stylish, but not girly, dresses? That would go well with my collection of ankle boots?

Personally, I am a huge fan of wrap dresses and "REI style" dresses (that's how I think of them- travel dresses?). I have two of these from Merrels that I got on clearance (well, like this but sleeveless): https://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/1541-2015/06/18/merrell-iris-print-siena-cinch-dress-product-2-260495095-normal.jpeg They've held up incredibly well, and can dress up or down easily. I tend to wear them with tennis shoe style flats, so they're semi-girly.

Admittedly, I'm 5'9", so the opposite end of sizing struggles from you. But things that have a semi-empire waist like that seems to be pretty forgiving IME. I've loaned one to a shorter friend (~5'4"?) and it fit well on her too.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy

I'd check out asos.com -- there should be a lot of less girly/more moderist options there.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache

I'd check out asos.com -- there should be a lot of less girly/more moderist options there.

Maybe check Boden (bodenusa.com) - they always seem to have nice dresses that are more European in style.  I haven't bought anything from them but they always have good reviews as to quality.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache

Calvin Klein makes nice dresses - modern, not frilly. Often machine washable. I see them pretty frequently at Nordstrom rack or TJ Maxx. IDK if they fit you sense of style,  but they don't seem "girly" to me in the way I think of it. I am attaching a picture of a fairly standard sort of Calvin Klein dress.

I can't be the only other one here who looks rediculous in frilly stuff. It has never worked for me - not that I don't like the aesthetics (occasionally), but it looks so ridiculously out of place on me physically.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #728 on: January 06, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »
Depending on how often you have a need to dress up, you might keep an eye out for a formal skirt.  When paired with a white button down, it's very stylish and yet can still be appropriate for a formal occasion.  Maybe it's not something you care much about, but I feel very disrespectful if not dressed appropriately, and I feel self-conscious which make my introversion worse.  This would only add one piece to your wardrobe but it would play well with other things you own. 

Depending on your taste it could be full (probably looks the most formal) or fitted.  They key would be to get it in a formal, dressy fabric like taffeta, sequins, etc.

Love that skirt! I've never seen anything like it in the stores - admittedly never really looked for something like it.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Here are photos of the two American Giant t-shirts. I am going to Florida next weekend so I will get to try them out. These aren't great picture, and these are plain t-shirts. The photos on their website are pretty accurate.

The city sweatshirt has been laundered and came through unshrunk, just as the hoodie and sweatpants did.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:24:34 AM by MsPeacock »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
I am joining this thread! I'm in a major wardrobe transition (as noted on my journal linked below) and could use some mustachian inspiration!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
This thread is making me wish I could buy American Giant here :-(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache

Instead of American Giant, you should be able to get Australian Megafauna.

...sorry, there are very few instances where I can make a zoology joke. I *had* to take the opportunity.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache

...sorry, there are very few instances where I can make a zoology joke. I *had* to take the opportunity.

Unfortunately we killed our megafauna via hunting and destroying their environment :-( humans, huh? We're awesome.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache

Unfortunately we killed our megafauna via hunting and destroying their environment :-( humans, huh? We're awesome.

Not all of them! You still have kangaroos and cassowary and goannas and stuff! (Can you tell I would love to visit?)

Sorry for derailing the thread so substantially everyone!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache

Not all of them! You still have kangaroos and cassowary and goannas and stuff! (Can you tell I would love to visit?)

Sorry for derailing the thread so substantially everyone!

Oh no, we used to have REAL megafauna. Wombats the size of small cars... so, so cool.

Come visit, and visit me :-)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Welcome monstermonster and happierathome!

I am posting a link to Buy It Once. It doesn't help at all with getting an organized approach to a wardrobe. However, it is very mustachian in the sense that the clothing is meant to last, and generally comes with lifetime warranties. American Giant and Patagonia are both featured, as well as others. The website has undoubtedly been featured elsewhere on these forums as well.

https://www.buy-it-once.com/

Is anyone else here doing the no-buy clothing for January?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Oh, I've been posting in this thread for pages and pages already. I must not be memorable until I rant about megafauna ;-)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
I am posting a link to Buy It Once. It doesn't help at all with getting an organized approach to a wardrobe. However, it is very mustachian in the sense that the clothing is meant to last, and generally comes with lifetime warranties. American Giant and Patagonia are both featured, as well as others. The website has undoubtedly been featured elsewhere on these forums as well.

I didn't buy any clothing for all of 2016, so January I'm resetting.

I don't see any clothing on Buy it Once except socks & belts - do they list other clothing items?

I really recommend this post by Into-Mind on "how to assess quality of garments" - great if you're not a sewer or otherwise technical about fabric for figuring out if the expensive shit you're buying is expensive because it's quality or because it has a brand name attached.

I generally only acquire vintage clothing that's quality (wool suits, etc) in an effort to not have my clothes wear out. Doesn't hurt that's I'm very petite so vintage clothes have a better chance of fitting me. Having a super-professional wardrobe (public speaking & politics/fundraising are my two core functions) while also still biking everywhere in heels can be really hard on clothing - and it's essential for me to get natural fabrics so I don't smell when I arrive! Quality is so important :-)

afuera

• Bristles

I don't see any clothing on Buy it Once except socks & belts - do they list other clothing items?

I really recommend this post by Into-Mind on "how to assess quality of garments" - great if you're not a sewer or otherwise technical about fabric for figuring out if the expensive shit you're buying is expensive because it's quality or because it has a brand name attached.

I generally only acquire vintage clothing that's quality (wool suits, etc) in an effort to not have my clothes wear out. Doesn't hurt that's I'm very petite so vintage clothes have a better chance of fitting me. Having a super-professional wardrobe (public speaking & politics/fundraising are my two core functions) while also still biking everywhere in heels can be really hard on clothing - and it's essential for me to get natural fabrics so I don't smell when I arrive! Quality is so important :-)
MM, Thank you for this!!  This is where I struggle, trying to determine if something is high quality or not.  I've spent more money than I would like to admit on clothes from Target that get stretched, faded, and pilly within a few wears.  That link is so helpful!
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it" - Henry David Thoreau

6/2017: INV-3.4x, NW-5.0x
Projected FIRE date: 2025
Journal.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Love this thread! I'm currently pregnant and am doing a capsule wardrobe of tops and pants that fit my growing body along with cardigans and jackets and that I already had. Love the ease of capsule wardrobe so much so that I'm thinking I'll do the same once bub is out.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache

Thanks for the link! Great article.

Buy it once appears to have removed their clothing listings. I didn't search around to see if there was any explanation. Weird.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Oh, I've been posting in this thread for pages and pages already. I must not be memorable until I rant about megafauna ;-)

So sorry! I am terrible about not noticing poster names!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache

So sorry! I am terrible about not noticing poster names!

I will never forgive you. This is the start of an epic forum feud.

:-)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Here is a quick little picture off my sweater drawer.  The ones on the left are cotton summer weight and a couple casual non-work sweaters.  The rest are mostly all season.  Purged a couple excess thus morning. Loving the colors I have now. Everything goes with the black, grey, or tan pants I usually wear. 

Outside of work wardrobe is still a work in progress.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15
« Reply #745 on: February 13, 2017, 04:31:57 AM »
I'm late to the party (took too long staring at my closet trying to decide what to wear ;-)) but I'm here.

I'm starting to plan a spring/summer/early fall capsule since we keep having bouts of unseasonably warm weather here in Virginia. My struggle is this: I stay home with my toddler son and I don't like "mom clothes". Leggings are fine for working out, but not my jam for regular wear. I managed to purge my cold weather wardrobe to the point that I'm happy with it (i have only a 3 item wish list of things I would have liked to add this year that I'm saving for next fall) but casual warm weather wear is my downfall.

I default to shorts and a plain, solid tank top or tshirt, but end up feeling a little sloppy, especially when it gets pair with flip flops. I like sundresses but they need to be long enough to allow some ease of movement in kid-chasing.

What suggestions do you all have? Tops that have more detail than a plain tshirt? Accessories? Knee length skirts instead of shorts? Just buy 5 more knee length sundresses and call it good?
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Ebrat

• Stubble
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15
« Reply #746 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
I'm late to the party (took too long staring at my closet trying to decide what to wear ;-)) but I'm here.

I'm starting to plan a spring/summer/early fall capsule since we keep having bouts of unseasonably warm weather here in Virginia. My struggle is this: I stay home with my toddler son and I don't like "mom clothes". Leggings are fine for working out, but not my jam for regular wear. I managed to purge my cold weather wardrobe to the point that I'm happy with it (i have only a 3 item wish list of things I would have liked to add this year that I'm saving for next fall) but casual warm weather wear is my downfall.

I default to shorts and a plain, solid tank top or tshirt, but end up feeling a little sloppy, especially when it gets pair with flip flops. I like sundresses but they need to be long enough to allow some ease of movement in kid-chasing.

What suggestions do you all have? Tops that have more detail than a plain tshirt? Accessories? Knee length skirts instead of shorts? Just buy 5 more knee length sundresses and call it good?

I'm a big fan of patterned shorts (or pants) with a plain t-shirt. Just feels more fun to me than a patterned shirt with plain shorts. Of course, the shorts stand out, so people probably notice that I wear them a lot, but I love them, so I don't care :) My favorites are a floral pair from Gap. Land's End has lots of fun patterns, too.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #747 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »

I'm a big fan of patterned shorts (or pants) with a plain t-shirt. Just feels more fun to me than a patterned shirt with plain shorts. Of course, the shorts stand out, so people probably notice that I wear them a lot, but I love them, so I don't care :) My favorites are a floral pair from Gap. Land's End has lots of fun patterns, too.

Oh, I like that idea! I need new shorts anyway and I have plenty of solid tshirts. I'll keep an eye out at thrift stores.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Hadilly

• Stubble
« Reply #748 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »
Or you might consider skorts. Athleta makes some really nice ones that look polished with just a tshirt or tank on top.

MsPeacock: how are those American Giant shirts working out for you? Contemplating buying a few for spring.

MoneyMage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #749 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:32 AM »
I'm late to the party too! But I recently started looking into doing capsule wardrobes for myself I even found a couple of apps that help, though I'm not sure they're necessary. :D

First step: PURGE
I just purged FIVE BAGS of clothes! (Grocery bags) - This was stuff I had from high school, things I'll never wear again even if I can fit into them. I'm happy to have cleared them out of my closet!

Inventory & Style analysis
What do I have, and what do I wear a lot? I have moved my favorite clothes to the most accessible positions and moved everything else farther back.

My style: casual mom wear with a cosplay/geek twist
- solid color tunics + printed leggings (some look like armor) ... for casual outings, conventions
- geek t-shirt + slacks/jeans/cargo pants + jacket or blazer ... for church, casual or a little more conservative outings
- work-out/lounge clothes like jogger pants, yoga pants, tank tops, athletic shirts
- I also have random trendy outfits and dresses for when I want to look a little nicer. I usually avoid these clothes if I can!
- shoes are TOMS, ankle boots, running shoes (NB, Nike), and a couple pairs of knee-high/riding boots (for when I want to feel like a Jedi). And some nice flat sandals. I have assorted heels too but those don't get worn.

I bagged up all my maternity clothes and work clothes because I don't need them any more but I haven't gotten rid of those yet (just in case)! (Tip: Target has my favorite maternity clothes! The long stretchy tank tops are AMAZING, my favorite, great for all year round and the only thing that will fit in the last few weeks, plus you can still wear them after birth and they are easy to nurse in too. I swear I bought at least 5 of them and still wear them.)

My problem is my scale broke about a month or two ago and as a result I haven't been weighing myself every morning so I gained 10 lbs (whoops!) and now I don't have many pants that fit. I actually bought a pair of size 18 with an elastic waist (overcompensating, much?) but they try to fall off so I guess I'm still a 16, and at least my XL leggings still fit! But I'm also trying to hold back on buying things because Spring isn't here yet, it's still snowing outside and it seems silly to buy winter clothes at this point but also useless to buy Spring already. I think the one thing I'm tempted to splurge on for quality is really comfy lounging pants, like joggers or maybe even a cotton or linen blend; has to wear well, go with everything, and be something I can wear out of the house. Difficult to look around though with two toddlers in tow.

So anyway, next step is getting rid of this snowy weather so I can clear out the winter clothes and reassess my closet to build a Spring capsule. Honestly, I hate Spring, it's all pastels that wash me out. Give me a Fall wardrobe all year round and I'd be happy. :D Winter's not bad either, I'm a Winter, jewel tones are my favorite.