Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 130847 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #600 on: November 16, 2016, 02:30:33 PM »
I do not wear stocking or socks with pants and flats or heels. I work in a fairly conservative office in DC. I sometimes don't wear socks with my oxford type shoes. Some of the women in my office go bare legged with skirts, others wear tights or stockings. I personally don't want to keep up on shaving and lotioning my legs enough to go bare legged and I can't stand hose and most tights, so I no longer wear skirts to work.

Remember that no one even see,s to notice at all what I wear to work - most likely the issue of socks or not won't be noticed by anyone but you, and you should do what is comfortable.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: November 16, 2016, 05:11:58 PM »
Congrats! With flats I wear either stocking-style socks (dress-up situation) or no socks at all (most of the time).

So is no socks okay then? I didn't know if you weren't supposed to do that. Like not wearing tights with a dress. Like I said, I've had very little exposure to even *seeing* business casual type outfits, much less assembling them myself.

Depends on your office. See what others are doing, particularly female upper management.

I may only have a couple weeks of training in the main office (5 employees, all women, only one person will be over me), tops probably 4 weeks, and then it's just me and one much older woman in the satellite office. So not a lot of options for cuing off people so much. Hopefully it'll be enough for me to get a good sense while also training for the role itself.

All I remember from the work I *have* done with the people in the role I'll be in is a lot of statement necklaces, haha. Which sucks because I'm allergic to all fakey or lower quality metals. I do love scarves though, so maybe I can do them as an alternative? =\

ETA:
I'll just have to be proactive. What are some norms I should look for and take notes on? I'm gonna go full nerd with this, if you guys will help me.

-No stockings with slacks and flats, normal?
-Are bracelets ever worn? (Healthcare and site visits, so I'm guessing no)
uh... all I got so far
My opinions. 

For the socks/stockings, wear whatever is comfortable.  Most wear thin stockings or no socks at all with flats where I work, but I always wear socks cause my feet are always cold.  Nothing is worth being uncomfortable.  Agree with someone else who suggested Clarks flat shoes, many of them are meant to go with socks and are super comfortable!

For statement necklaces, try strings of beads with no metal clasp, like the ones that on go over your head.  Or scarves, tons of people wear scarves instead of necklaces, myself included many days.  If you're a visiting nurse or similar I'd say no jewelry on your hands or wrists except maybe a plain wedding band if you wear one.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
Congrats! With flats I wear either stocking-style socks (dress-up situation) or no socks at all (most of the time).

So is no socks okay then? I didn't know if you weren't supposed to do that. Like not wearing tights with a dress. Like I said, I've had very little exposure to even *seeing* business casual type outfits, much less assembling them myself.

Depends on your office. See what others are doing, particularly female upper management.

I may only have a couple weeks of training in the main office (5 employees, all women, only one person will be over me), tops probably 4 weeks, and then it's just me and one much older woman in the satellite office. So not a lot of options for cuing off people so much. Hopefully it'll be enough for me to get a good sense while also training for the role itself.

All I remember from the work I *have* done with the people in the role I'll be in is a lot of statement necklaces, haha. Which sucks because I'm allergic to all fakey or lower quality metals. I do love scarves though, so maybe I can do them as an alternative? =\

ETA:
I'll just have to be proactive. What are some norms I should look for and take notes on? I'm gonna go full nerd with this, if you guys will help me.

-No stockings with slacks and flats, normal?
-Are bracelets ever worn? (Healthcare and site visits, so I'm guessing no)
uh... all I got so far
My opinions. 

For the socks/stockings, wear whatever is comfortable.  Most wear thin stockings or no socks at all with flats where I work, but I always wear socks cause my feet are always cold.  Nothing is worth being uncomfortable.  Agree with someone else who suggested Clarks flat shoes, many of them are meant to go with socks and are super comfortable!

For statement necklaces, try strings of beads with no metal clasp, like the ones that on go over your head.  Or scarves, tons of people wear scarves instead of necklaces, myself included many days.  If you're a visiting nurse or similar I'd say no jewelry on your hands or wrists except maybe a plain wedding band if you wear one.

Yeah, luckily my whole wedding set was designed with gloves and infection in mind (love my husband, haha). Plus does double duty with me not hurting myself with prongs, ahem.

Okay, glad no socks seems acceptable. I hate socks under flats. They always sit funny. Although I suppose if I'm in the car a million hours for site visits, I might want my compression socks, but those are never attractive =P

The string of beads is a really good idea!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #603 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »
I don't work in a super-stuffy environment. If anything, people would notice if I *did* wear tights with a dress! Aside from which: I'm not comfortable wearing tights. So unless it's an interview or client meeting, not for me.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: November 17, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
I dunno... I see the mood in here is anti-tights and socks (which I totally get!).

But to the person going for their first job, I would advise definitely to overdress at first. Wait and see. In my organisation, tights are a MUST and shoes without socks would not go down well. You don't want your career scuppered because people in more casual offices gave you advice (totally valid) but based on their circumstances. It all hinges on context, and the organisation you will be working in.

I also, unfortunately disagree on the 'comfort first' mantra. It's sexist, it's wrong, but women get paid more if they wear makeup to work. High heels are uncomfortable. They were (sadly) necessary for me to make it to the position I am in now. I wish they weren't. But we don't live in a perfect world, we live in the real world, and if you want to FIRE, you need to chose which hill you die on, you know?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #605 on: November 17, 2016, 09:00:08 AM »
I dunno... I see the mood in here is anti-tights and socks (which I totally get!).

But to the person going for their first job, I would advise definitely to overdress at first. Wait and see. In my organisation, tights are a MUST and shoes without socks would not go down well. You don't want your career scuppered because people in more casual offices gave you advice (totally valid) but based on their circumstances. It all hinges on context, and the organisation you will be working in.

I also, unfortunately disagree on the 'comfort first' mantra. It's sexist, it's wrong, but women get paid more if they wear makeup to work. High heels are uncomfortable. They were (sadly) necessary for me to make it to the position I am in now. I wish they weren't. But we don't live in a perfect world, we live in the real world, and if you want to FIRE, you need to chose which hill you die on, you know?

I agree with this assessment. I never wore heels higher than 3", though. How The Duchess of Cambridge does it is beyond me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #606 on: November 17, 2016, 09:18:02 AM »

This is a very valuable perspective. Luckily, I think from what I *have* seen I can confidently say we're on the side of casual/comfortable overall. Probably a big part of that is being not-large-city west coast. We just don't *do* formal out here the way a lot of places do. Plus, every employee except 1 at the office has done the same thing I did- transition from being a bedside RN into nursing management. Interestingly enough, an all female office as well- although that's not too odd considering it's an underpaid nursing field, I suppose.

The interesting one is, since I have to go to the main office (2hrs from home) for my training, I will be staying in a hotel each week while I train. So I need to have enough clothes to make it the whole week without doing laundry, with the ability for some flex if I discover a major faux pas. Which will take a while to assemble from cheap sources, BUT, I don't officially know if I have the job yet (it will be me if they put the new office where I asked, otherwise I said I don't want the position, so up in the air in that respect), so I don't want to buy a bunch of office clothes if I'll be staying bedside after all! Oh my, the conundrums. Hopefully I hear soon and it solves that whole concern. I won't be starting until the new year, so they're not in a big rush to get back to me I'm sure.

(Isn't it interesting how a topic that should be pretty basic, like clothes, becomes a reflection of career trajectories?)

Okay, so can we put together my "uniform" for 5 days work?
Guidelines:
I will be sitting at desks a lot, walking quickly around hospitals, and going into people's homes. I will be riding in cars with coworkers or have them riding in mine. I live in the PNW so there will be giant puddles everywhere. Low dangle/drape factor a plus, because of infection risk.
-No heels
-Probably sticking with pants, as I'm most comfortable in them, but I haven't really given skirts or dresses a try- it's just a big category so I wouldn't know where to start
-5 days of outfits, no laundry, small chance children will vomit on me, so a high degree of inter compatibility is a plus

If I were to do slacks only, probably 3 pairs to get me through a week? I currently have 1 pair that need shortened that I could wear. And I have precisely 1 blouse that I can wear. That's... pretty much it. Even all my flats are pretty shot at this point. I'm a clean slate you guys.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #607 on: November 17, 2016, 10:48:40 AM »
If I keep posting links to the Vivienne files website, people are going to think I'm getting paid a commission. LOL.

No, but really, spend some time over at her website, she's the queen of mix and match wardrobes. It's all she's been doing for years now. I had to redo my whole closet after losing weight and due to budget constraints, had to rethink the whole way I purchased clothes, as I had a lot of pretty items, but lots of "I don't have anything to wear!" sentiments at time. A good starting point is her 4x4 wardrobe, which consists of:

1.four pieces in the first neutral color ( she usually suggests, two bottoms, two tops - a short sleeve & a long sleeve or jacket / cardigan),
2.four pieces in the 2nd neutral color (likewise),
3.four piece to combine the neutrals (Ex. Long sleeve plaid shirt that mixes the colors, additional garments to supplement the above), and 
4.4 accent items (Usually additional tops in some other neutral colors that fix in with your palette).

One thing to note is that I know some people don't like to dress in "blocks of color", which is fine though. The beauty of streamlining your color palette is that any shoes / accessories that you buy for one thing, will flow with the rest. And really, you can apply the above to dresses, pants, skirts, whatever floats your boat.

I personally like dark gray(pewter) and navy for my neutrals and those two go with a million other colors you can supplement with. On my closet its coral / purples / pinks for the most part with some additions, because those are the colors people always complement me on.

What colors look good on you, Bracken_Joy? How about we start there?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:50:50 AM by Jardeny »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: November 17, 2016, 11:12:12 AM »
Another day, another uniform. My back is killing me, thus the shoes today and the more relaxed pants. To me this looks less dressy, but it is fine for my office. I generally go slightly nicer than this - but whatever works was the mantra today.

White shirt (Forever 21), tan pants (Sears - I think, old ), sweater (H&M), shoes (TJ Maxx, I think)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: November 17, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »

I am not opposed to tights - I just find them uncomfortable and as a result I don't wear skirts (I also am cold in skirts and dresses). I used to feel that high heels were dressier and arguably necessary for professional dress. But the reality is that for most women they aren't something that can be worn as you get older. I am sure there are exceptions to that rule. I can say with great confidence that there isn't' a single woman in my office that wears heels, regardless of age or position. Its flats or maybe a 1" wedge sort of heel at maximum. I rarely see anyone in the entire workplace (large hospital) wearing heels. At least here the expectations isn't heels for women. (Thank goodness.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:18:13 AM by MsPeacock »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: November 17, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
If I keep posting links to the Vivienne files website, people are going to think I'm getting paid a commission. LOL.

No, but really, spend some time over at her website, she's the queen of mix and match wardrobes. It's all she's been doing for years now. I had to redo my whole closet after losing weight and due to budget constraints, had to rethink the whole way I purchased clothes, as I had a lot of pretty items, but lots of "I don't have anything to wear!" sentiments at time. A good starting point is her 4x4 wardrobe, which consists of:

1.four pieces in the first neutral color ( she usually suggests, two bottoms, two tops - a short sleeve & a long sleeve or jacket / cardigan),
2.four pieces in the 2nd neutral color (likewise),
3.four piece to combine the neutrals (Ex. Long sleeve plaid shirt that mixes the colors, additional garments to supplement the above), and 
4.4 accent items (Usually additional tops in some other neutral colors that fix in with your palette).

One thing to note is that I know some people don't like to dress in "blocks of color", which is fine though. The beauty of streamlining your color palette is that any shoes / accessories that you buy for one thing, will flow with the rest. And really, you can apply the above to dresses, pants, skirts, whatever floats your boat.

I personally like dark gray(pewter) and navy for my neutrals and those two go with a million other colors you can supplement with. On my closet its coral / purples / pinks for the most part with some additions, because those are the colors people always complement me on.

What colors look good on you, Bracken_Joy? How about we start there?

I tend to be drawn to turquoise, dusty purple, magenta, brick red, bright green (like spring green), royal blue- a lot of pretty bright clear colors. I tend to like black pants, I think because I like the contrast. My go to winter jacket for the last... decade (wow) is a bright red wool coat.

As far as the seasonal color palette stuff, I think I'm a "light spring"- more golden/warm undertones to my skin, I wear gold vs silver jewelry now, honey blonde hair with a some red undertones sometimes. But, I have grey-blue eyes, so...? I dunno, color stuff has always baffled me a bit, and I tend to grab colors that make me think of happy, nature-y things. I tend not to gravitate toward patterns. I don't dislike them per se, and I like patterns on scarves, I just have never really bought clothes with much for patterns. Except dresses. Maybe that's the problem- if I have to do more than one item to make an outfit to coordinate it, I don't buy patterns. Ah yes, I think we call that "laziness".

Ah. Instead of trying to describe everything, I will just attach a photo of the items I tend to wear the most. It's a low light day, so that's inside light, hopefully the colors come across well.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #611 on: November 17, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
Grey and black pants would work with everything. Get a blazer in one of your favorite brights for dress up.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: November 17, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
BrackenJoy, I think your colors look great!  (I will assume they flatter your skin tone, I'm not great at that and took several years to determine what colors worked for me.)  They all have a similar theme of bright clear solids and like pbkmaine says they all will go well with plain black or charcoal pants.  It looks like they tend to be scoop and v neck knits, and I'd personally say that most of those can be dressed up for a work environment with pants, a nice sweater or blazer, and a scarf.

If you're going to be wearing jewel tone tops like that then your best bet for all the other bit pieces are neutrals like black, grey, and white.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #613 on: November 17, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
Wow, I didn't think wearing any of my t-shirts could be an option! They're in good shape fabric wise (new, actually, thanks to a commercial salvage from goodwill. Woo!). But it'll be awesome if I can use a base I already have.

My concern with blazers is that my arms are very long, and my shoulders very broad for a woman. I've never once found a blazer that fits. My winter jacket is about 2" too short on the wrists =\ I just gave up and learned to live with it. For Henleys or similar to fit, I buy men's. How on earth do I fit "tall and lanky" for items like jackets and cardigans? (That aren't extremely blocky/men's cut).

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #614 on: November 17, 2016, 05:12:50 PM »
Bracken Joy, I second the recommendation to read through the Starting from Scratch wardrobe series on the Vivienne Files.  It's a bit of a rabbit hole, to be sure, but I learned a ton and am moving forward with confidence.  The first thing that helped me was to think about--as others have already said--2 basic neutral colours that you prefer, and 2 accent colours.  I looked at my current wardrobe and it became clear that charcoal and black would be my neutrals (oh the relief from considering whether I should buy camels, navy's, etc!).  You also then add denim as its own category of neutral, which is also super-helpful as dressy denim is a big part of what's available for business-casual wear right now.

So charcoal and black for you would work: at least one of each in a pair of pants, plus a pair of dressier denim.  Then, personally, I'm not comfortable in blazers, so I'm in cardigans all the way.  These should be more forgiving with your arm length, as they can be worn at 3/4 (pushed up a bit) or in a looser style that the flowy shells have.  One of each in black and charcoal, if that's what you're going with.

Then you have 3 colours for tops: whatever shade of white works on you (I can't wear pure white--too stark), and 2 accent colours.  From your photo, I'd suggest green and red, but you could also go with whatever colours you prefer or like to wear most often.  Again, I found it so freeing to just focus on every shade of blue and purple--from baby blue to navy, from lavender to indigo/violet--and to let go of all the others.  In your case, you'd have every shade of green (for different seasons too) and red.  Some of your current t-shirts could definitely work, and you can build from there.

The website also talks about thinking about your preferences for oxford, button-up shirts vs flowy, drapey blouses or tunics, or pattern, or whatever.  Just recognizing that you should acknowledge what you feel comfortable in and stick to it; stop picking out things you think you *should* like, but that then you never really wear. What a thought! :)

So you would end up with an easy wardrobe and daily routine of a pair of pants, a comfortable/professional shirt, + a cardigan or whatever you decide you like as a shell.  Every colour of each will work in an easy rotation, and you build accessories to change things up a bit more.  I am not really a jewellry person, but I love scarves, so I have collected a few in different, plain colours (I'm a colour-blocker, not really a pattern person).  Wouldn't that be easy? :-)

I wanted to add, too, that I'm working in that same west coast, laid-back, business-casual world.  Socks are only an issue for you to decide around comfort.  Some women like blazers, but there are no suits.  No heels, although some women like that 1" that Mrs Peacock was talking about.  Some women wear only pants, some are more comfortable in dresses.  Totally up to you.

Personally, my uniforms for winter are a pair of blundstones (which I wear with wool socks, but I've done lots of Clark's shoes over the years and haven't done ballet flats precisely because I LOVE my wool socks in winter) and some not-too skinny charcoal pants, or boots and skinny dark denim, plus a camisole that I can tuck in for warmth, and then a merino wool sweater (I bought 3 this year from Costco!  They had all my colours: black, purple and light blue!) and a more decorative scarf or sometimes a glass pendant.  I am still looking for some lighter blouses and need to add a black cardigan.  I have some lovely black trousers, but need some black shoes to go with them.  Again, the Vivienne Files pages were so helpful for me to assess what I already had, and what gaps would be useful to fill.

I am also considering adding a dress or too: nothing to formal, but something I could wear either with tights or black leggings, and either my blunnies or my boots.  I think that would be warm and comfortable for winter.

In thinking about your situation, I also think if I was going into people's homes, I wouldn't want to dress too formally.  I would want to be professional, clean and tidy, but not so formal as to be dressed way above the way people dress in their own homes, as I would want to be able to put them at ease.  I would also probably go with socks, as here at least most people take their shoes off when they enter someone's home, and I'm not really comfortable barefoot in that scenario for some reason! :)  But YMMV on that one!

(is it too unmustachian to admit that I'm going shopping this weekend?! :)  Honestly, it's a wonderful feeling to know what I need and know that when I find it I will wear it for years to come.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: November 17, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »
Oh man, BYF, THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed outlined. (And as an aside, we never remove shoes. It is our workplace, and in the patient home's we're held to OSHA standards- close toed shoes required.)

Okay, slacks+shirt+cardigan I can totally do. That's actually pretty much what I wear daily now, just a cardigan instead of a zip up and slacks instead of jeans/jeggings/yoga pants.

Also, I realized I have never owned a white shirt. Or off white. Is that weird? I assume because I know myself well enough that wearing white seems like asking for trouble.

I will need to buy some new flats, too, as mine are getting *very* worn out, or are open toe. Do I just go with black for these? ...my flats right now are variations of: dusty purple, bright color splotches, and a (now deceased) pair of bright green ones. I think my style is best described as "oooooh I like that color!"

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #616 on: November 17, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »
Oh man, BYF, THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed outlined. (And as an aside, we never remove shoes. It is our workplace, and in the patient home's we're held to OSHA standards- close toed shoes required.)

Okay, slacks+shirt+cardigan I can totally do. That's actually pretty much what I wear daily now, just a cardigan instead of a zip up and slacks instead of jeans/jeggings/yoga pants.

Also, I realized I have never owned a white shirt. Or off white. Is that weird? I assume because I know myself well enough that wearing white seems like asking for trouble.

I will need to buy some new flats, too, as mine are getting *very* worn out, or are open toe. Do I just go with black for these? ...my flats right now are variations of: dusty purple, bright color splotches, and a (now deceased) pair of bright green ones. I think my style is best described as "oooooh I like that color!"

Definitely a pair of black flats to start.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #617 on: November 17, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
Okay, current shopping/to-do list:
-get current black slacks hemmed so I can wear them with flats
-buy a charcoal pair
-possibly one other black pair
-2 cardigans: one black, one charcoal
-1 pair black flats
-decide which colors I'll target. Possibly coordinate with my scarves to determine. May take a trip back to post a general hair/skin against cloth photo, or send a couple key members actual pictures of me to see which colors get a thumbs up. Volunteers?

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #618 on: November 17, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
-buy a charcoal pair
-1 pair black flats
-decide which colors I'll target. Possibly coordinate with my scarves to determine. May take a trip back to post a general hair/skin against cloth photo, or send a couple key members actual pictures of me see which colors get a thumbs up. Volunteers?

Yay!  I should add that how many days in a week you need to wear this wardrobe also influences how many pieces you need.  This term I only need to look professional 3 days a week, so I've been managing with 2 pairs of pants and 3-6 tops just fine (I do wear some of the tops with more casual outfits).  But come January I'm on campus 4 days/week, so I will likely want that pair of black trousers in rotation, or to find a skirt I'm comfortable in.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: November 17, 2016, 08:19:54 PM »
-buy a charcoal pair
-1 pair black flats
-decide which colors I'll target. Possibly coordinate with my scarves to determine. May take a trip back to post a general hair/skin against cloth photo, or send a couple key members actual pictures of me see which colors get a thumbs up. Volunteers?

Yay!  I should add that how many days in a week you need to wear this wardrobe also influences how many pieces you need.  This term I only need to look professional 3 days a week, so I've been managing with 2 pairs of pants and 3-6 tops just fine (I do wear some of the tops with more casual outfits).  But come January I'm on campus 4 days/week, so I will likely want that pair of black trousers in rotation, or to find a skirt I'm comfortable in.

5 days per week minimum. Likely some 6. =\

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: November 18, 2016, 07:45:31 AM »
Sounds like you're on the right track!

My question regards how many of each item you'll need.  What is the cleanliness level expected?  Can you wear pants 2-3 days between washing?  That's what I do but my job is definitely not concerned with personal care so your answer may be different.  Have enough pants for 1 week of work.  For me in your situation that would be 3 pairs I think.

Tops you'll want 6, and sweaters 2 or 3.  Then 2-4 scarves or necklaces.

Oh, and yes, black shoes go with everything!  You'd laugh to see my shoes, almost every pair is black, and I can grab whatever will be comfortable for that day and look put together.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #621 on: November 18, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
 https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xy8osWAOvsk/U6ruGRqFZjI/AAAAAAAANPQ/6ODMFLwQVJ0/s1600/navy+and+grey+start+from+scratch+wardrobe+step+7.jpg

Congrats to B_Joy on the new job.
The above link is an idea for your week away. Insert your own clothes where you can.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: November 18, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »
Thank you guys! Yeah, I'm thinking 3 pairs pants will be ideal. 2 cardigans (see if any of the ones I have now will work- one white, one black, one maroon, but they all fit a bit eh, we'll see how they do with slacks), the 1 blouse I already have, then I still need to play dress up with the tops I have and see what will look okay.

And then the black shoes.

Game plan in place! And packing list thanks to DDD.

Okay, I checked the slacks I currently have. I was wrong on two counts: 1, I can already wear them with flats, don't know why I thought they were too long? 2- they are NOT express, they are Calvin Klein. These ones: https://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-Womens-Modern-Suit/dp/B00ESXF1EK?th=1&psc=1 Unfortunately, do not seem to come in grey anywhere. Mega sigh. This means I have to go somewhere and *try things on*.

Also checked, all cardigans are worn enough that I wouldn't be comfortable wearing them in a work setting. My scarf collection is on point though ;) 11! And that is after a lot of minimalism purges, haha.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:03:31 PM by Bracken_Joy »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: November 18, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
Taupe would work if you can't find grey.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #624 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »
You don't have to have gray. You can wear all black slacks if you prefer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:23:02 PM by PMG »

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #625 on: November 18, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
You have to have gray. You can wear all black slacks if you prefer.
Exactly!  There's nothing at all wrong with having a basic work uniform.  Black pants, colored top, sweater in 1 or 2 colors, scarf.  Done.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: November 18, 2016, 04:34:01 PM »
Your colors are great Bracken Joy and I could only echo the advice that others have given. I also have very broad shoulders relative to the rest of my frame. For blazers this almost always means having to size up and having them altered. I find cardigans generally softer and more comfortable anyhow.

The Portofino shirt from Express seems to have unusually long arms. It comes in tons of colors. If you are looking for button downs you might check it out. I have found the, to wash and dry well and hold up to regular wear. It is also long enough to stay tucked in!

I wear all my pants two days in a row - speaking of how many pairs of whatever are needed. I change shirts daily just because, and sweaters get reborn a bunch before wash since they are the outer layer.

If you need extra warmth you can layer a caminsole or tank under the other layers.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #627 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
So how do you guys handle dry clean only? My pants say they are. They were definitely an emergency, "I have a job interview in a week and need SOMETHING" purchase last year.

Jardeny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #628 on: November 18, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
So how do you guys handle dry clean only?

What is their fiber content? Any wool in the mix? Wool is the only thing I send to the dry cleaners because I've accidentally shrunk a few pieces. Everything else I wash in a very gentle cycle and haven't had any problems so far. I turn my pants inside out when washing as well to extend their life.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #629 on: November 18, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »
So how do you guys handle dry clean only?

What is their fiber content? Any wool in the mix? Wool is the only thing I send to the dry cleaners because I've accidentally shrunk a few pieces. Everything else I wash in a very gentle cycle and haven't had any problems so far. I turn my pants inside out when washing as well to extend their life.

No wool. They are 63% Polyester/32% Rayon/5% Spandex.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #630 on: November 18, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
Wash gentle and hang dry.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: November 18, 2016, 05:46:31 PM »
Thank you guys! Any benefit to sticking them in a lingerie/mesh bag for the wash?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: November 18, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
I don't. I do, however, only wash very dark clothes with black pants. Otherwise, the lint kills me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #633 on: November 18, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
Good to know. Again, thank you guys!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #634 on: November 18, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
Wash gentle and hang dry.

Definitely.  And as others have said, I also find I don't need to wash pants or sweaters very often.  Your work environment may be different, but in an office setting, there's no need for dress pants to get particularly dirty.  A lot of the modern fabrics spot clean easily and dry quickly; I just try to change out of mine right away when I get home.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #635 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »
Reporting on my own quest to build up my capsule wardrobe, especially in light of increasing my days/week at work come January. :)

When I assessed via the Starting from Scratch wardrobe (which really has more clothes than I need, as I can spend a lot of days in jeans and yoga pants around here :-) ), I realized that my base neutrals were already black and charcoal, and although I thought my accents would be red and blue, when I actually pulled out all my tops, I realized that I had very little red (and a little green), but mostly blues and purples.  I had almost no white tops (like you, Bracken Joy, I mostly wear colours!), 1 skirt (that I don't wear often) and a pair of dark skinny jeans.  1 charcoal cardigan and a few merino crew-neck sweaters.

So I have been on the hunt for a black cardigan (I do have a really heavy wool one for when it's really cold, but it's too heavy for most of the year), a black skirt, another white top, black shoes, and possibly a dress in one of my colours.  I also have wondered about a cardi in one of the accent colours, as recommended by the Vivienne Files.

With some time to shop in the bigger city today, I had some success!  I found a white top on deep discount at one store, a blue merino cardi 40% off at the Gap, and then closed my eyes and bit the bullet and bought the black skirt that I liked months ago and didn't buy because it was almost $70 (!!!!).  After MONTHS of looking for an alternative, I am buoyed by the confidence that I will wear this regularly for years to come and that it will go with everything I own.  Then I brought home a pair of black pants and a sparkly charcoal grey cardi for possible Christmas wear (to dress up everything else that I already own) from Costco.  Will return if I don't like them.

Anyway, I'm really just sharing all this because I was SO pleased as I shopped because I could stay focused, ignore many items that might have otherwise tempted me, and best of all, I avoided the major angst and difficulty deciding to part with my money because I just wasn't sure if I would wear a given thing, or what it might go with in my wardrobe.  I KNOW that everything will work and match.  I'm also more confident spending a seemingly unmustachian amount on a particular item, because I know that I my costs per wear will be low and I won't have to shop again for a long time to come!  I'd rather buy what I need and stay out of the stores to save money than buy cheaper things that I will always be trying to replace because I don't really like them or I can't wear them with enough of my basics.

DDD and others, I can't thank you enough for the resources you have shared!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: November 21, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
Another day, another same outfit again.

Today: black pants (Express), shoes (Clark's), white shirt (Express), white sweater (Forever 21).

I also wanted to follow on about the clothes I purchased last year from Everlane. They actually held up very poorly. The black sweater shrank progressively every time it was cleaned (cold water, line dry) until it was the size to fit an 8 year old. The t-shirt became sort of misshapen and half shrunk half stretched out (twisted maybe). Really disappointing because the sweater was very expensive.  I was careful to follow the care instructions because the sweater was expensive - so it never went in the dryer or washed with anything other than cold water.   

Has anyone else tried any of their other clothing items?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: November 21, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
I also wanted to follow on about the clothes I purchased last year from Everlane. They actually held up very poorly. The black sweater shrank progressively every time it was cleaned (cold water, line dry) until it was the size to fit an 8 year old. The t-shirt became sort of misshapen and half shrunk half stretched out (twisted maybe). Really disappointing because the sweater was very expensive.  I was careful to follow the care instructions because the sweater was expensive - so it never went in the dryer or washed with anything other than cold water.   

No, I haven't purchased anything from Everlane.  However, I was thinking of buying some t-shirts, so I appreciate your feedback.  I'll have to look elsewhere.

I've also been thinking about trying American Giant t-shirts (http://www.american-giant.com/classic-v-neck-t/W2-2M-3.html?dwvar_W2-2M-3_color=cardinal&cgid=womens-shirts-short-sleeve#start=1).  My DH and I both have AG sweatshirts that are amazing.  They've held up for ~2 years with almost daily wear (my DH). 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: November 21, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »

No, I haven't purchased anything from Everlane.  However, I was thinking of buying some t-shirts, so I appreciate your feedback.  I'll have to look elsewhere.

I've also been thinking about trying American Giant t-shirts (http://www.american-giant.com/classic-v-neck-t/W2-2M-3.html?dwvar_W2-2M-3_color=cardinal&cgid=womens-shirts-short-sleeve#start=1).  My DH and I both have AG sweatshirts that are amazing.  They've held up for ~2 years with almost daily wear (my DH).

I have an American Giant hoodie and I love it. I asked for sweatpants from them for xmas. I agree that the quality is fantastic. I'd love to hear how the t-shirt are (they are kinda expensive, but if they are indestructible they will be worth it).

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:36 AM »
That t-shirt is made in the USA and $24.50! Great find, thanks for sharing.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: November 23, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
This is from yesterday:

Pants (Express - 4? years old. Apparently hemmed when I wore heels. I need to have them taken up again to accommodate flats), white shirt (Express), blue sweater (HM). Clark's shoes.

I was complimented today on my outfit :)  The pants have a subtle blue/black/red/green plaid to them. One of the very few articles of clothing that I wear that isn't just a solid color.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #641 on: November 24, 2016, 02:06:44 AM »
Cool fabric, Ms P. Unique in a work-appropriate way.

I've taken a long look at my wardrobe. First items on the top-up list: black pants, neutral skirt. That will increase the combos I can make.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: November 26, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
Curious what you all wear when you aren't at work. Do you have a off work uniform as well?

I don't - but I am finding myself frequently frustrated by my casual clothing choices and never having what I want - or something. I'm not entirely sure WHAT the problem is that I am having, but I am frustrated and thus not sure how to fix it. Currently lusting after some American Giant sweatpants and sweatshirt....  I have a couple pairs of cheap sweatpants that I hate (from Target) because they are thin and just look sad and droopy. Should I cough up $75 or whatever for a more durable and comfortable pair that will last me forever?

In warmer months I have been tending to wear workout clothes (leggings or shorts, tank top) most of the time. I do spent a lot of time working out, so that sort of works. And in general it seems like gym clothes are acceptable for most venues (at least where I go - like the grocery store or helping at my kid's school, and the gym). Aside from that I have jeans, t-shirts....

American Giant also now has a pair of ponte' pants - the oft referred to wonder material on this thread.

So, thoughts?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #643 on: November 27, 2016, 12:18:04 AM »
I sort-of have an off work uniform, yes.

What I actually have are three uniforms:
1. My corporate uniform (black or grey fitted work dress, black tights, black leather Mary Janes, cardigan in black, grey or blue).
2. My smart casual uniform, worn to work on Fridays and to leave the house / see friends and family on the weekend (black, grey or blue loose-fitting stretchy dress cinched with a black leather belt, tights, shoes and cardigan as above).
3. My ''at home'' clothes for hanging out in, gardening, going for walks etc (loose tee shirt - preferably stripey, track pants, sneakers).
Every item within a category must work with the others, so that I can pick ANY tee and ANY track pants, for example. I don't do patterns other than stripey tees and a single floral maternity dress I've just bought.

I'm now faced with the dilemma of maternity wear. Category 1 is very close to being unwearable with the growing bump (the downside to fitted clothes!). Category 2 is mostly okay at this stage. I think I'm likely to end up with mostly category 2 style maternity outfits even for work, because category 1 doesn't seem to exist to my taste/standard in maternity wear. I'm hopeful that my work will cut me some slack with dressing more casually for the remainder of my pregnancy, as I'm usually one of the better dressed women in the office.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #644 on: November 27, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »
HappierAtHome: My three stepdaughters all bought pairs of black capris/leggings/yoga pants from Old Navy and Target and wore them with tops they "borrowed" from their husbands or got from formerly pregnant friends. Maternity clothes seem to be one of those things where, if you put the word out, the bounty of the heavens will descend upon you.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:27 AM »
HappierAtHome: My three stepdaughters all bought pairs of black capris/leggings/yoga pants from Old Navy and Target and wore them with tops they "borrowed" from their husbands or got from formerly pregnant friends. Maternity clothes seem to be one of those things where, if you put the word out, the bounty of the heavens will descend upon you.

That look sounds cute, but probably wouldn't fly at my work as it's quite a few steps more casual than the standard for us (maybe if the tops were a more formal tunic style though, so I'll think about that some more).

I've put the word out but I'm yet to receive the bounty ;-) my local relatives were done having kids years ago and my friends aren't even thinking of starting yet, so I think the timing is just a bit off for hand me down maternity wear. I've seen a few things on my Buy Nothing group but it's always for petite and / or very slim women, while I'm close to six feet tall and curvy. Oh well! I'll spend a little money to feel comfortable in my clothes during pregnancy and it'll be no biggie.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #646 on: November 27, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »
My casual wardrobe is VERY minimal - two jeans, one pair of elephant-print pants from Malaysia, one floral skirt from Mexico, three shirts (black, gray, blue), and an assortment of tank tops that double as workout clothes. I also have a really lightweight dress that's good for hot weather, and a bright orange casual sweater It seems to do the trick..
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: November 27, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
I am realizing that some of the issue is season changes. My work clothes are the same all year. My casual clothes vary by season - thus requiring a wider variety of pieces. 

Otherwise still thinking on how a uniform approach might take shape for me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: November 27, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
Non-work clothes: definitely seasonal for me.
Summer- shorts and tanktops mainly with sandals
Rest of the year- yoga capris and t shirts for home chores, work outs, etc; skinny jeans with boots and t shirts and scarves for grocery trips and other "leaving home" activities.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: November 27, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
I am realizing that some of the issue is season changes. My work clothes are the same all year. My casual clothes vary by season - thus requiring a wider variety of pieces. 

Otherwise still thinking on how a uniform approach might take shape for me.

Could you develop two uniforms that would between them cover all seasons? Or some items that could be layered up for winter and down for summer?

All my uniforms are basically good for all seasons, with some layering up or down, but our weather isn't as variable as many places.