Author Topic: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Most recent update page 15  (Read 111443 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spin Off: Creating a minimalist/capsule wardrobe - Updated (page 11)
« Reply #550 on: October 20, 2016, 04:50:45 AM »
Today:

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #551 on: October 20, 2016, 04:55:26 AM »
In a year or so I'm going to be flying the coop, so I will be doing extreme clothing downsizing. I've had renewed determination to ditch things I don't need. Likely result:

1-2 pairs running shorts
3-5 workout shirts
1 bathing suit
1 pair jeans
1 skirt
3-4 shirts
2 pairs leggings/tights
A few dresses (need to figure out which travel easiest) (oh god this is gonna be tough)
2 long-sleeved shirts/cardigans
1 sweatery thing
Pea coat or puffy coat (ideally would figure out a more compact cold-weather colution
1 pair sneakers
1 pair snow boots
1-2 scarves
1 set sleepytime clothes

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this is my preliminary brainstorm.

Are you paring down in order to travel, to move to smaller digs, to save money? This is a very minimal list of clothing - which is neither good nor bad - I am just wondering the purpose.

One thought - do you need a pair of dress shoes? I only see sneakers and snow boots.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #552 on: October 20, 2016, 05:32:35 AM »
In a year or so I'm going to be flying the coop, so I will be doing extreme clothing downsizing. I've had renewed determination to ditch things I don't need. Likely result:

1-2 pairs running shorts
3-5 workout shirts
1 bathing suit
1 pair jeans
1 skirt
3-4 shirts
2 pairs leggings/tights
A few dresses (need to figure out which travel easiest) (oh god this is gonna be tough)
2 long-sleeved shirts/cardigans
1 sweatery thing
Pea coat or puffy coat (ideally would figure out a more compact cold-weather colution
1 pair sneakers
1 pair snow boots
1-2 scarves
1 set sleepytime clothes

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this is my preliminary brainstorm.

Are you paring down in order to travel, to move to smaller digs, to save money? This is a very minimal list of clothing - which is neither good nor bad - I am just wondering the purpose.

One thought - do you need a pair of dress shoes? I only see sneakers and snow boots.

Re bolded question: All of the above! Planning on an indefinite sabbatical and slow-travel, which will also involve living in smaller spaces and saving money.

Good call on the dress shoes. I'm mentally prepping for true backpacking, although that won't happen at first. In that case, I'm not lugging around fancy shoes for what might a quarterly occurrence. But while I'm in the US, it may be worth it.

The list isn't that much smaller than my current wardrobe, once you get rid of my work-only clothes. Already have one pair of jeans, one skirt, and wear my sneakers everywhere. The big change will be paring down dresses and around the house loungey stuff.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #553 on: October 20, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
I think that lit will evolve over time as you move and your needs change. You may need more long sleeved shirts in winter, for instance, or flip flops in summer. I find with packing that I have to carefully plan each outfit and coordinate all the parts such as a sweater that matches everything, in order to min one the stuff I am dragging with me. It is certainly possible to get by with much less than one would expect.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #554 on: October 20, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
MsPeacock- I really like that color of burgundy on you. Very flattering! Of course, it's one of my favorite colors, so that may be clouding my view. But I think we have similar coloring overall, so perhaps that's *why* it's one of my favorite colors. Anyway, lookin' sharp!
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: October 20, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
MsPeacock- I really like that color of burgundy on you. Very flattering! Of course, it's one of my favorite colors, so that may be clouding my view. But I think we have similar coloring overall, so perhaps that's *why* it's one of my favorite colors. Anyway, lookin' sharp!

Thank you!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #556 on: October 20, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »
How have I missed this thread for so long?

Posting to follow.

I've been slowly building a capsule wardrobe over the past couple of years. I currently have the least clothes I've ever owned as an adult, and I'm probably better dressed than ever.

I'm not really into clothes so anything that takes the headaches out of dressing myself is a win!

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #557 on: October 21, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/starting-from-scratch_15.html

Posted this elsewhere.....can t remember where BUT love this plan.

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #558 on: October 21, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
My updated work wardrobe, including some seasonal rotation, as below.

I have five dresses - two black, one purple floral, one blue floral (spring/summer), one pink/black floral (fall/winter).

Five bottoms - black pants, black capris (spring/summer), brown pants, grey skirt (fall/winter), black skirt (spring/summer).

Seven tops - teal knit long sleeve (really cold days only), mint green turtleneck (fall/winter), pink plaid long sleeve, teal sleeveless (spring/summer), brown elbow-length sleeve (fall/winter), blue/green short sleeve, teal print short sleeve.

Four sweaters - pink, blue, red (really cold days only), black/white print.

I don't use accessories because they irritate me, and have one pair of black work shoes, which I keep at work so they last longer and stay clean.

The system is pretty simple. I wear two dresses a week, Monday and Friday. For the rest of the week, I have all the bottoms in a row and all the tops in a row, and grab the first of each that match, plus a sweater if I need it. I tend to match up my clothes for the next week on Friday after I get home.

It's not perfectly matchy matchy like many capsules, but for that to happen I'd have to give up at least one of my favourite three colours of clothing - teal, blue, and bright pink.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #559 on: October 21, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »
http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/starting-from-scratch_15.html

Posted this elsewhere.....can t remember where BUT love this plan.

This is fantastic!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #560 on: October 21, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »

I have five dresses - two black, one purple floral, one blue floral (spring/summer), one pink/black floral (fall/winter).

Five bottoms - black pants, black capris (spring/summer), brown pants, grey skirt (fall/winter), black skirt (spring/summer).

Seven tops - teal knit long sleeve (really cold days only), mint green turtleneck (fall/winter), pink plaid long sleeve, teal sleeveless (spring/summer), brown elbow-length sleeve (fall/winter), blue/green short sleeve, teal print short sleeve.

I don't use accessories because they irritate me, and have one pair of black work shoes, which I keep at work so they last longer and stay clean.

The system is pretty simple. I wear two dresses a week, Monday and Friday. For the rest of the week, I have all the bottoms in a row and all the tops in a row, and grab the first of each that match, plus a sweater if I need it. I tend to match up my clothes for the next week on Friday after I get home.

It's not perfectly matchy matchy like many capsules, but for that to happen I'd have to give up at least one of my favourite three colours of clothing - teal, blue, and bright pink.

I really dislike accessories too. There is zero chance of me changing purses to match an outfi (and I would forget half my essential stuff if I tried to do this) I used to muck around with necklaces and earrings but I can't even bother any more. I got rid of at least 90% of that stuff by taking it to work. The other ladies were happy to dig in. And I don't understand scarves for decorative purposes at all - when I've attempted one I am so distracted by it and keep seeing it out of the corner of my eye and tugging at it and it drives me nuts.

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #561 on: October 21, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »

I really dislike accessories too. There is zero chance of me changing purses to match an outfi (and I would forget half my essential stuff if I tried to do this) I used to muck around with necklaces and earrings but I can't even bother any more. I got rid of at least 90% of that stuff by taking it to work. The other ladies were happy to dig in. And I don't understand scarves for decorative purposes at all - when I've attempted one I am so distracted by it and keep seeing it out of the corner of my eye and tugging at it and it drives me nuts.

Yeah - since I've never been a jewelry wearer, I find that if I actually put something on, it's very hard for me to pay attention to anything else. It just feels so WEIRD to have something on my neck or wrist or head or wherever. I never got my ears pierced, so earrings are out as well - I've tried clip-ons and they're the WORST, so uncomfortable.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #562 on: October 22, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
http://maitaicollection.com/pages/tutorials

I am not a big accessory person either. No dresses/skirts either.
I thrifted some scarves , and am slowly experimenting with some of the simpler styles in the above link. I had my colours done in the 90s so I know I am a winter. Cool colours only!
Therefore my basics are black/navy/and jeans. Always.
 My accessory colours are white/bright or icy red,blue,green,purple,pink.
When I pattern the major colour must be near my face and must be one or more of the above.
To make my life simple shoes and bags are black .
 Socks too!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #563 on: October 22, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »
DDD these links are absolutely amazing.  I ended up down the rabbit hole of the Starting from Scratch wardrobe yesterday and ended up having all kinds of revelations.  I've now identified that if I bought just a few specific pieces, my wardrobe options would multiply exponentially because everything would work with everything else.

And the scarf link!  I love scarves, but wear large, pashmina-style ones that I wrap myself in.  I've never really understood how the classic, smaller, lightweight French scarves worked.  How inspiring!  And so easy to find in nice thrift stores, because young people don't get them either!  I'm so inspired.

MBot

• Bristles
« Reply #564 on: October 22, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
Does anyone have feedback on dress pants that are slim - but also easy to move around in? Like the feel of jeans but nicer material and a slim leg?

ETA also not just solid black or blue or navy - but in tiny patterns or heathering so they hide dirt better.

I want to get a few pairs and base my "back-to-work" after-maternity wardrobe on them and lab coats over simple shirts. (For my ultrasound work).

BUT I also have to lead events with 10-15 year olds - including crazy games and running around - some evenings during the week and I don't want a totally different wardrobe or to have to change into jeans for them. Ideally I could also wear these pants at home and not have to change into jeans either.

I looked at the Old Navy Pixie Pants and some of the "yoga pant dress pants" sold online but I'm not sure. I would like belt loops I think. And something that I can wear with flats or boots.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:58:07 PM by MBot »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #565 on: October 22, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
Does anyone have feedback on dress pants that are slim - but also easy to move around in? Like the feel of jeans but nicer material and a slim leg?

ETA also not just solid black or blue or navy - but in tiny patterns or heathering so they hide dirt better.

I want to get a few pairs and base my "back-to-work" after-maternity wardrobe on them and lab coats over simple shirts. (For my ultrasound work).

BUT I also have to lead events with 10-15 year olds - including crazy games and running around - some evenings during the week and I don't want a totally different wardrobe or to have to change into jeans for them. Ideally I could also wear these pants at home and not have to change into jeans either.

I looked at the Old Navy Pixie Pants and some of the "yoga pant dress pants" sold online but I'm not sure. I would like belt loops I think. And something that I can wear with flats or boots.

My mom (chemo related discomfort) really likes these Gloria Vanderbilt pants that are almost a yoga pant material but look like jeans or slacks (depending on the design). I believe they do have belt loops, but I don't remember for sure. I know Fred Meyer sells them here, don't know about elsewhere.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #566 on: October 22, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
http://www.carriescloset.ca/blogs/news/16594221-the-most-comprehensive-definitive-guide-to-ponte-pants-ever

I have not found these pants yet.... but I ll keep looking.
It is not about the pants but the fabric that makes the pants.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: October 22, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
I really like the pants from Express. They have several cuts, including a slim leg design. They all have some stretch, but not as much as yoga pants or leggings. They are machine washable and have held up well for me. The inseams are long so I always have to get them hemmed. They look fairly dressy. They do have patterns (little checks, etc) on some of them.

I haven't tried pointe pants, but others here give them high marks.

Pinch of salt

• Stubble
« Reply #568 on: October 23, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »
My wardrobe had gradually become standardised. My office is very casual, even to the extend of directors wearing blue jeans and t-shirts, so luckily I don't really need to have two different wardrobes between work and life. Having said that, I still prefer to wear smart casual to the office and I usually have the following wardrobe which I also wear outside of the office: 3 pairs of black jeans (skinny, mid-rise jeans from UniQlo), about 7 colourful/black blouses/tops (business section of H&M), and 3 blazers on top. I usually wear trainers for my commute as I need to walk a bit, and then have casual shows at work. I don't do accessories that much, but I think the blazer/blouse combination works well as its smart casual and I can even wear it for external business meetings.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #569 on: October 23, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »
http://www.carriescloset.ca/blogs/news/16594221-the-most-comprehensive-definitive-guide-to-ponte-pants-ever

I have not found these pants yet.... but I ll keep looking.
It is not about the pants but the fabric that makes the pants.

I've heard Land's End has good ponte pants. I have a ponte dress from there that I like.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #570 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
Out with the old: Gathered my pile of donations.

Research: Reserved books at the library to help me organise and create a new wardrobe. Read this thread and internet resources. Asked a friend for help with colour palette.

What I need: some corporate pieces for special work events, a decent selection of business casual, and daily wear. (Business casual can overlap with daily wear depending on the item.) Be selective in how things fit together so I can do more with fewer items.

To do: Read the library books. Look at what other people are wearing here and IRL and gather ideas. Come up with a strategy for specific pieces within each wardrobe category, and make sure they fit my comfort preferences so nothing is wasted. Go shopping!?

MMM style: op shop to try new styles and see if I like them, op shop for cheap work wear.

Unsure: Go capsule (probably not) or just start honing my selections and see where that goes (I am in little danger of a wardrobe explosion)? Not sure if I will count pieces per category and clothing type (if that's your recommendation, go ahead and sell me on this?). I see the value of the colour palette, but it feels limiting to me...any advice?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:49:48 AM by stashgrower »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: October 24, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »
Today. Nothing too exciting here. Black pants (I have two of the same pair - from Express)), shirt w/ a print (one of the very few - from Express), land's end sweater.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #572 on: October 24, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »
As of today, I'm doing this new thing where I'm getting dressed each morning, even though I work from home and it's totally fine for me to wear PJs all day.

My uniform is something like this:

- floaty sleeveless top or tunic
- skinny jeans or wide-legged trousers
- cardigan or blazer
- birkenstocks, chacos, kicks, or boots (depending on the weather)

Floaty sleeveless tops aren't super easy to find in plus sizes, but I just scored 3 for $30 on ASOS Curve. I love them because they have a high neck -- usually my floaty tanks have a deep enough neckline that I wear a scarf to cover up all the boobery.

My colors are mainly black, white, and gray, with some burgundy, teal, purple, and coral as accent colors. My wardrobe is super easy to travel with -- I grab a couple pairs of pants, a blazer/cardigan/coat, and a tunic for each day. Good thing cos I've been traveling a lot lately...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:48:29 AM by madgeylou »

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #573 on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
Out with the old: Gathered my pile of donations.

Research: Reserved books at the library to help me organise and create a new wardrobe. Read this thread and internet resources. Asked a friend for help with colour palette.

What I need: some corporate pieces for special work events, a decent selection of business casual, and daily wear. (Business casual can overlap with daily wear depending on the item.) Be selective in how things fit together so I can do more with fewer items.

To do: Read the library books. Look at what other people are wearing here and IRL and gather ideas. Come up with a strategy for specific pieces within each wardrobe category, and make sure they fit my comfort preferences so nothing is wasted. Go shopping!?

MMM style: op shop to try new styles and see if I like them, op shop for cheap work wear.

Unsure: Go capsule (probably not) or just start honing my selections and see where that goes (I am in little danger of a wardrobe explosion)? Not sure if I will count pieces per category and clothing type (if that's your recommendation, go ahead and sell me on this?). I see the value of the colour palette, but it feels limiting to me...any advice?
It is not in the least bit limiting!  I can quite literally grab any pair of my shoes and know that they will look at least okay with any clothes I choose to wear that day because all of my shoes are black and all of my clothes look good with black.  (The day I went to work with my brown slippers on was not a good day lol!)

It's also freeing to go shopping and immediately know what colors will flatter you the most.  Plus most of my shirts look good with most of my sweaters and at least half of my scarves.

So I think of it as more freeing than limiting.  I always look and feel put together, shopping is so much faster when you have a specific set of criteria (such as color palette, preferred fabric, and/or style) to follow.  Plus you are much less likely to buy something that you'll later look at and go "Why did I buy that?!"

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: October 27, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »
I don't think this photographed well - but I like this outfit. The pants wrinkle up a bit quickly however.\\

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #575 on: October 27, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
Thanks Zaga. OK I get that. Like earlier this week I had to change clothes before going out because I didn't have matching shoes! The dress was a hand-me-down not in my colours.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:16 AM »
Thanks Zaga. OK I get that. Like earlier this week I had to change clothes before going out because I didn't have matching shoes! The dress was a hand-me-down not in my colours.

Ugh. Yes, shoes are my MAJOR limiting factor. I think I need to replace my skinny black jeans- I only have 1 pair and they're getting very worn/stretched out/bleached out at the knee. When I have good black leggings/jeans, I can wear them with boots (I have black and brown) and then I can match anything. The issue is when I have my only other jeans, which I'm pretty limited on footwear choice with because they're a bit too long and it's too wet here most of the year.

I'm honestly considering looking into black jeggings. Anyone had these before, have opinions/experience?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »
I had a pair of jeggings from target and I didn't like them. Maybe a more pensive pair would be better. The elastic waistband sort of rolled down and got twisted inside the fabric. They were a bit more revealing than jeans, and not warm enough for winter. I have better luck with regular skinny stretch jeans. It can be so hard to find a pair of jeans that are just right in terms of how they fit and comfort.

I used to have a ton of shoes and have been thinning the herd over the years. I've gotten rid of almost all my heels because they are just so uncomfortable. I have one pair of three inch black shoes and one pair of nude heels both of which work with everything I own. I have a mix of black flats and black oxfords, brown boots and black boots, and a couple pairs of sandals. I think most wardrobes could get by with black or brown shoes, or even just black shoes. As my uniform look has become more clarified I've moved to getting rid of more and more stuff that doesn't fit into that fairly narrow look.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #578 on: October 27, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »
I have a couple of pairs of what I think are jeggings from JAG Jeans.  Same complaint as MsPeacock - the elastic waistband folds over when I sit so needs to be adjusted almost every time I get up.  Kind of annoying.  But other than that I like the fit, the fabric is thick and not too revealing and they are comfortable.  Got mine from Nordstrom Rack for a good price.  Not worth the full price in my opinion.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #579 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »
Thanks for the jeggings feedback guys. I might just have to give them a try and see what I think- but will definitely start with 1 pair and see how bad the folding issue is. I have a *terrible* time finding jeans. As in, go to the store, try on 12+ pairs of jeans, have 0 that fit. This is a regular event for me. Hoping something elastic based will be more accommodating of my unusual proportions.

Definitely going to try ross/tj maxx/nordstroms rack type places.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #580 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:52 PM »
Bracken_Joy, I have jeggings and they are comfortable for me. I don't have the folding issue but agree they are less warm than regular pants. No special brand, something on super sale.

Shoes. Thanks MsP. I am going through mine now while I do the wardrobe thinking. What are everyone's strategies on matching up clothes and situations with fewer shoes?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #581 on: October 28, 2016, 02:36:11 AM »
I work in a very casual environment.  My work uniform is a pair of jeans (boot cut and slightly baggy) and a v-neck t-shirt (different colors of the Madewell slub tee).  My offices are REALLY cold (~60*F).  Right now, I just wear my fleece (Marmot, full on winter fleece) in the office.  I am looking to find something a little more pulled together.  Regular cardigans aren't warm enough. 

Anyone have any advice? 

Instead of layering on top of the t-shirt, first layer beneath.

I always wear a vest (as in, British vest, underwear, like a tank top but thermal material, do you know what I mean?).

My office gets very cold in winter. I wear a vest, then a thin t-shirt. I made is specially so that it has a ridiculously low scoop neck and wide shoulders and can't be seen poking out from the neckline of other things. Then I put on my dress or top.

It really barely adds any bulk, but it adds SO MUCH WARMTH. Way more than a cardigan on top. Even just the vest alone makes a huge difference, the second layer takes me from fine to toasty.

So seriously, stop adding on top, and start with warm base layers.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #582 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:34 AM »
I know a lot of people don't want to buy new clothes but that's what finally helped me build a functional wardrobe and at the same time pare down what I have.

I got my basics from a department store collection with a lot of variety in the different pieces while still matching. It also made shopping quick as I'm one of those people that hate shopping and gets overwhelmed easily. I think it took me an hour and a half.

From there anything that doesn't match the new set got tossed. Same goes for worn items I've been hanging on to because I didn't have replacements and didn't want to have to go shopping.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #583 on: November 03, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
Another uniform - same thing, different day. I'm quite happy, I've found, wearing quite literally the same thing every day. So easy - grab pants (any pair), grab shirt (any shirt - they are all the same), grab sweater (any color - they all work). DONE!

Loving my two new pairs of clarks shoes - so comfortable. The black ones in particular are spectacular. And no more cold feet from wearing skimpy flats.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: November 04, 2016, 05:18:32 AM »
Another uniform - same thing, different day. I'm quite happy, I've found, wearing quite literally the same thing every day. So easy - grab pants (any pair), grab shirt (any shirt - they are all the same), grab sweater (any color - they all work). DONE!

Loving my two new pairs of clarks shoes - so comfortable. The black ones in particular are spectacular. And no more cold feet from wearing skimpy flats.

Looks great! Has anyone at work ever commented on your wearing the same thing (style wise) daily?

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #585 on: November 04, 2016, 06:36:25 AM »
MsPeacock, I have copied your style this fall :-) I'm usually a shell plus long open cardigan type person, but started wearing button up shirts and pullover sweaters recently.  I really like it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #586 on: November 04, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »

Looks great! Has anyone at work ever commented on your wearing the same thing (style wise) daily?
I have a different uniform than MsPeacock (mine is more casual), but no one has commented on it.  I mentioned my work uniform to a coworker, and he hadn't noticed.  I do work in a male-dominated field, so I don't know if that matters.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #587 on: November 04, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »

Nope! No one has ever said anything. I even said something one day - basically stating I wear the same thing every day and no one said anything in response.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: November 04, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
MsPeacock, I have copied your style this fall :-) I'm usually a shell plus long open cardigan type person, but started wearing button up shirts and pullover sweaters recently.  I really like it.

I am extremely,rly flattered! I think the look would work for just about anyone and I find it comfortable and easy to wear.

MBot

• Bristles
« Reply #589 on: November 06, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »

Update: I took advantage of Old Navy's free returns + a good sale to try out a few pairs of the Pixie Pants. I tried on a few in-store for sizing (they fit snug, I sized up). Online I got three on a good sale, in the "long pant" style of black, mini black dot and heather gray

I've already worn them to a craft show, a speaking engagement, work, hanging out with my mother-in-law and doing housework. I think these will be the new base pant for my wardrobe.

Initial thoughts:
- I see why they're so popular. They feel nice and thick
- The stretch is incredible. They're really easy to move in.
- The waistband and belt loops are thin, but they will take a slender belt.
- The fake back pockets + real front pockets is very useful. They look like trousers, not jeans, while retaining a functional front pocket.
- They don't need a belt! The waist is high enough to prevent flashing anything, even with my super-long torso.
- Usually I take a 32-inch inseam. This gets a little confusing:
  • The "ankle" pixie pant is designed to be worn above the ankles. It comes in Regular, Petite and Tall
  • The "long" pixie pant is designed more like a regular pant, but it's cut higher than one would wear wider pants. It comes in Regular, Petite and Tall
  • I ordered a "long" pixie pant in a Regular inseam which is 30". This style I think I should be wearing a 31" or so inseam
  • It looks a hair short, but there is almost 2 inches of fabric that's been hemmed up. I will let it out and stitch up a tiny hem. With that, they will work well.
  • In the future, I will order a "long" pant in "Tall" and that should be perfect. That size only comes online.
- They do stretch. After wearing twice, they get a little saggy in the rear and need a wash. I find that happens with most pants that work for me. Something about that skinny pant/stretch fabric/higher-waist combo.
- If these test pairs work out, I'll buy 2 more pairs at the after-Christmas sales and base my wardrobe off these + my usual jeans.

(For comparison, the jeans I wear often go down to $10 - the Lauren skinny from Bluenotes. Except for being a little lower in the rise and requiring a belt, they are a very similar silhouette to the Pixie pant and Bluenotes always has them).

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to add soon enough.

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #590 on: November 06, 2016, 05:54:45 PM »
I like the Old Navy pixie pants as well. I have short legs, and found the "regular" ankle-length ones were perfect normal-length on me, with no need to hem them. I have one black pair for work that I bought a year ago, and might pick up a navy pair as well sometime if there's a good sale.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #591 on: November 07, 2016, 05:46:19 AM »
This is like the least-interesting, most-repetitive fashion posting ever. Here is today's outfit.  :)

Express pants, Express white shirt, blue sweater (JC Penny's I think, from last year). Black Clark's shoes.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #592 on: November 08, 2016, 07:13:58 AM »
I like this on you.
Black is a better colour than tan/beige for your pants.
The blue is a great pop of colour.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #593 on: November 08, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »

Nope! No one has ever said anything. I even said something one day - basically stating I wear the same thing every day and no one said anything in response.

Interesting! I guess it's proof that people aren't thinking about us much, they're too busy worrying what we think of them!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #594 on: November 09, 2016, 07:23:58 AM »

Interesting! I guess it's proof that people aren't thinking about us much, they're too busy worrying what we think of them!

I think that is very true. Also, that in general, if you blend into the typical look of most people around you, no one pays any attention. If I were to start wearing something either very uncharacteristic of my usual self, or very uncharacteristic of the typical work clothing around here (which is a mix of people in military uniforms and others in professional but not super formal business wear), people would probably notice. I guess that would mean maybe really high heels and tight skirts (not my usual), or idk - workout clothing (too casual) or ponchos something along those lines. 

Here is today's typical outfit: Express pants, express shirt, Clark's shoes, Forever 21 sweater.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #595 on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:18 AM »
More of the same:

Black pants (Express), White shirt (Express), purple sweater (Land's End). Shoes: Clark's.

Express has occasional 40% off everything sales and - I think - last year they had 50% off everything after T-day (maybe all the way from Thanksgiving through Xmas, or maybe just the "black Friday" weekend). A good time to stock up if you wear their clothing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #596 on: November 14, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »
Okay! This thread may just save my life now. Pending final acceptance, I will have my first ever OFFICE/management job. Oh em gee. Can't get away with scrubs daily anymore, in other words.

I like this thread because it shows me I will be able to figure outfits out *without* high heels. I'm too tall already, plus it's got travel and site visits. And also I hate them, so there's that.

MsPeacock, VERY apt time to mention the upcoming sale!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #597 on: November 15, 2016, 06:40:59 AM »
Okay! This thread may just save my life now. Pending final acceptance, I will have my first ever OFFICE/management job. Oh em gee. Can't get away with scrubs daily anymore, in other words.

I like this thread because it shows me I will be able to figure outfits out *without* high heels. I'm too tall already, plus it's got travel and site visits. And also I hate them, so there's that.

Congratulations on the job offer!

I used to wear heels, then transitioned to flats - but my feet are cold without socks. Now I wear a more "men's" style shoe. The Clark's shoes are extremely comfortable.

Express pants have a pretty long inseam, and I think they offer tall sizing as well, if you are really tall. I am 5'7" and have to have them hemmed.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: November 15, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »

Congratulations on the job offer!

I used to wear heels, then transitioned to flats - but my feet are cold without socks. Now I wear a more "men's" style shoe. The Clark's shoes are extremely comfortable.

Express pants have a pretty long inseam, and I think they offer tall sizing as well, if you are really tall. I am 5'7" and have to have them hemmed.

Thank you! It's up in the air if moving the planned office from [planned town] to [my town] will happen, but I turned down their original offer, so they're considering it, and if it does, I'm hired.

I'm 5'9" and have pretty long legs proportionally, and believe it or not the one pair of express pants I have are too long to wear with flats! I will probably have to get the hemmed if I want to use them with flats.

Question, what do people wear under ballet flats with slacks? Nude stocking style socks I'm guessing?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #599 on: November 15, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
I wear off black or grey knee high nylons with flats and slacks. I wear tights with skirts and flats.