Author Topic: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.  (Read 51130 times)

Last Night

• Stubble
Re: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
So, I made it past Friday night, which included going to a bar and a restaurant with friends.  Everyone has been super supportive (in fact, almost no one has cared or questioned it), with the exception of my primary drinking friend with whom I did probably 80% of all my drinking.

This friend took it very personally and actually stormed out on me.  That was hard, but if it comes down to it, I may need to risk losing this friendship if they can't accept that I'm going teetotal for awhile.

6 days so far.  No cravings at all, just the above-noted social pressure from my one friend in particular.

Great job staying the course.

I recently had multiple drink fests to attend, wedding, then travelling abroad for work with co workers - everything afterhours revolved around drinking.

I had a great discovery (explaining to drunk people why you don't drink isn't worth the effort)...but here is the kicker, ALL BARS had non alcoholic beers.  *mind blown*  Not even joking, it made the whole experience tolerable from that point of view and no one even had to know.

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
4 months of not drinking, I'd have to say I've now entered the "safe zone" where I don't have urges/wants whatsoever.

Hope everyone is doing well with their goals and if you are not don't beat yourself up over it.  Start over after you reflect why you didn't succeed.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
4 months of not drinking, I'd have to say I've now entered the "safe zone" where I don't have urges/wants whatsoever.

Hope everyone is doing well with their goals and if you are not don't beat yourself up over it.  Start over after you reflect why you didn't succeed.

Congrats on breaking the urge!

I recently considered drinking on dates to loosen up a little. Didn't. I can't break two and a half years just because I'm a little nervous.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
I want to cut back on my alcohol consumption, mostly for health and partly for money. I started tracking my consumption and the costs 76 days ago and I've spent $217 dollars and had 69 drinks since then. I did get some free drinks though and while on average I'm still under the recommended guidelines, I tend to consume my alcohol in binges. During the curling season, I drink a lot there, so in the summer it's a lot easier to moderate my drinking. I'm not sure if I should set a specific goal, or just try to drink less in general, since I've never really tried to cut back before. I don't really drink alone and I don't really crave alcohol, but when I'm out with my friends I tend to go a little overboard. Does anyone who binge drinks have strategies that worked for them?

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
I'm really questioning writing in this thread, I have way more distance to go than anyone here it seems. Might as well start with the shocker.

2016 Alcohol Spending: $8381

My peer-group has a lot of hobbies that don't revolve around drinking but definitely include drinks whenever they're available.

My current goal is to start 'half' drinking (glass of water) and stop buying rounds / throwing filled fridge parties.

The number does include food at any restaurants when we've been drinking as I would probably be eating from home if I didn't go drinking.

Be gentle..

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
I'm really questioning writing in this thread, I have way more distance to go than anyone here it seems. Might as well start with the shocker.

My peer-group has a lot of hobbies that don't revolve around drinking but definitely include drinks whenever they're available.

My current goal is to start 'half' drinking (glass of water) and stop buying rounds / throwing filled fridge parties.

The number does include food at any restaurants when we've been drinking as I would probably be eating from home if I didn't go drinking.

Be gentle..

I can feel your pain, financially/health wise.  Before you attack this you really need to put things into perspective first, how much do you drink, how long have you been drinking, do you think it's an issue, how important is cutting back to you, etc.  Once you have that laid out you can decide how to attack it.

I mean I tried the whole drink water in between or have less, these are all fantastic suggestions, but they are extremely difficult for 95% of the population to stick to once the alcohol starts flowing.  This has been my experience anyway. You go at it with the best intentions, but you are not in control after the first drink and then you end up kicking yourself for failing...which ultimately you set yourself up for.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »
I have eased up a bit about drinking. I am at a level that I am happy with both financially and physically. Cheers!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »

Be gentle..

Wow, that's an astronomical number.  That's also about my annual spend.  Let's get that number down.
I had an eye-opening moment yesterday.  It's time to not drink so much.  I'm on vacation, but still, I'm 36yo now, can't party like I was 25.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2017, 05:10:56 AM »
I was using my second goal of losing weight to help with this challenge, because I can't continue to drink a lot and also expect to lose a bunch. For a while (like 5 months), it was going pretty well, but then I went off the rails for 6 weeks or so and just ate and drank whatever I wanted. Now I'm trying to get back on track again. It's harder than I anticipated, but I'll get there. I'm also doing the "Uber Frugal Month" for July (by the Fugalwoods), and that's helping. I told myself the two things I wanted to accomplish during that Frugal Month was no spending on eating out and no buying alcohol. We'll see if I can maintain both of those.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
Wow, that's an astronomical number.  That's also about my annual spend.  Let's get that number down.
I had an eye-opening moment yesterday.  It's time to not drink so much.  I'm on vacation, but still, I'm 36yo now, can't party like I was 25.

Since that post I have actually lowered my alcohol spend (~450$ a month) and am feeling better about it. Weekday drinks are gone and weekends are much lower other than 2 bachelor parties that I had to attend (most of the spend actually).

I haven't been too concerned about the health aspects of my spending as a lot of it is treating other friends so it's disproportionately high. I have dovetailed a health goal in to this as well so the drinking has been much easier to control. And I completely agree, I'm turning 30 and don't have too bad of hangovers or anything but increasingly hate when a night is "wasted" to hanging out with the same people at the same bar arguing the same topics. A big help has been that I can still drink but have to go do something novel in order to, that novel plan usually either limits the drinking or is done instead of drinking completely (and so far hasn't been regretted at all). Things I've started doing: Way more yard games / park visits, escape rooms, board game cafe's, golf, motorcycle rides, hiking, to name a few.

I appreciate the kind words from everyone that did reply, and will update as I can.

MrMath

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »
I have tried to stop drinking many times in the past, with varying levels of success. Right now, I haven't drank since November 22 (almost 8 months)! The monetary reason was the veil I put over it, although I was good at finding deals and free alcohol (think $6 handles of R&R whiskey). This has been very difficult for me, and this is the longest I've been sober since I started drinking.
Friends have been supportive, although at first they weren't as we enabled each other to drink more.
I'm glad I am not drinking and driving anymore, I am saving money, using my time more productively and living more healthily. I still feel the urge to have a drink almost daily... I didn't start out with much of a goal, because I didn't want a set date to drink again. I've been thinking about a year, just to experience all of the seasons without alcohol instead of drinks in winter to warm you, drinks in summer to cool you down, etc. I am growing my beard out for a year, then I'll reevaluate; same with alcohol.
A challenge for me is free alcohol and open bars... Open bars I have almost always overdid it, often embarrassing myself,  trying to get as much free stuff as I could. Also, social settings are different without alcohol, and now I avoid settings where drinking is the focus.
The reason I have been successful this time is because about a month after me, my brother and his girlfriend took a break from drinking as well, though we didn't know about each other. Now, we have a sort of support group, shifting our addictive personalities to cooking real food, spending time together kayaking, climbing, building things, etc... This process has been much easier having like-minded people around, and I am really able to see the negative effects alcohol has had on my life and the ways I rationalize things  to myself...

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: July 19, 2017, 07:29:26 AM »
fun fact:
2016: $1040 spent on alcohol, or $86.67/month, or $20/week
2017: $0 spent on alcohol

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since new years....which is almost unbelievable...
2016 YTD: $482.42
2017 YTD: $338.36

2016 Monthly breakdown:
Jan - $67.35
Feb - $12.97
Mar- $91.37
Apr - $160.31 (wut??)
May - $78.22
Jun - $16.60
Jul - $55.60

2017 Monthly breakdown:
Jan - $0
Feb - $0
Mar - $63.54
Apr - $105.20 (ugh)
May - $65.65
Jun - $95.50 (ugh)
Jul - $8.47

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2017, 02:58:40 PM »
To update this thread, I haven't drank since I stopped.  Almost 7 months now.

Can't remember being in this good of a shape and I was doing pretty well before.  Cheers!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2017, 03:56:45 AM »
To update this thread, I haven't drank since I stopped.  Almost 7 months now.

Can't remember being in this good of a shape and I was doing pretty well before. Cheers!

Awesome!

I grinned at cheers...

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2017, 08:22:53 AM »
A few days away from 250 days sober - so much money saved and many other benefits. Not sure what I will do in a month when I am in Russia on a train for 6 days straight but I hope that maintaining sobriety would be easy even with the language cultural barriers.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
A few days away from 250 days sober - so much money saved and many other benefits. Not sure what I will do in a month when I am in Russia on a train for 6 days straight but I hope that maintaining sobriety would be easy even with the language cultural barriers.
Fill a vodka bottle with water and take copious swigs. You'll fit right in. Just don't offer it to anyone or your cover will be blown..

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
This is an awesome thread and I'm excited to join the party! I'm an Aussie in Canada so I'm familiar with both worlds of overconsumption and high taxes.

I just started including my alcohol numbers in my forum journal, and my aim is to reduce spending by 30-50%. I would have to go back through my previous months Mint budgets to work out how much I've spent since I started tracking, but I know last month was $140 (or ~10% of my monthly spending). I have been procrastinating the purchase of a new super dooper bike helmet because it would cost $120, and then today I noticed those two numbers side by side and saw how ridiculous that is.

I used to work in the brewing industry, and I am a massive craft beer nerd. So drinking feels more like a hobby/interest than a habit for me, which I think could be dangerous territory. My main goal for reducing spending & consumption is to cut the non-social drinking completely, i.e. at home on a weeknight with just my SO. Normally we split a can or two so it's not excessive, but stills adds up. Plus just the *habit* of coming home and cracking a cold one feels unhealthy. I am just getting back into homebrewing, which will ease up the wallet as well. And apart from that I'm going to limit social drinking to two drinks (especially when out at bars, house parties might get a bit of leeway).

So, here's to all of us! I look forward to sharing my progress and seeing how everyone else is faring. I have to say I was about halfway through catching up on the thread when my SO offered me a beer and I declined, so I feel good already.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »
Hmm, 2016 was a big beer year for me, #365beersof2016 on Instagram was the tag I used, https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/365beersof2016/ and it seems I may have inadvertently inspired another person to do the same tag for 2017.

My spreadsheet says I spent $5216 on alcohol between myself and my wife (mainly me) over the year of 2016.  Average of $434 a month.  This year our monthly average is $169.  So a ~61% drop in spending on alcohol.  Pretty happy with that.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2017, 01:03:16 AM »
Boozy update and it's a bit of a doozy. So far this year, we have spent $637.14 on alcohol. Overall, I am pretty sure I have drank less than last year. I went to wine country twice this summer and have stocked up. I like having fancy wine for gifts, dinner parties and also for myself. Note, I consider anything over $15 fancy-ish.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2017, 04:45:50 AM »
This is a great thread.

Stopped drinking about a month ago and switched to La Croix. Though I love a glass of wine, it really hurt me the next day, even after having 1 glass. I must be getting old. The La Croix helps so much because it gives me a fun bubbly drink without the after effect. I don't think about wine anymore either. It was just a bad and expensive habit I had gotten into.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gQ4iM6N4M

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »
How is everyone doing?

This summer was my downfall on reigning in alcohol spending. I had so much fun sitting outside in the backyard sipping beer or wine. I decided to try u-brewing for wine and will have 30 wine bottles ready in a month or so, and then this will help lower my booze spending next year. Well, that is if I don't drink more because I have bottles and bottles. It will also be my Christmas gifts too.

Total alcohol spending:
$938.91

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: October 03, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »
I'm in.

I seldom drink out any more because it is so expensive (and I don't currently have any drinking buddies - probably the main reason). But in the last few years hardly has a night gone by when I don't have at least a beer or a wine after the kids are in bed, or even before they go to bed (bad example...). Then on weekends I got into this thing where I "deserved it". I even started calling it my "Friday night thing". Staying up late, reading message boards, watching some dumb movie, drinking. Then there's "I need it 'cos I'm so stressed out" and "I need it to turn the brain off and sleep".

Last week I asked spouse (who does all the shopping) to buy no more alcohol. There's still some in the house but I'm ignoring it.

1 week sober as of today. That's the longest I've gone for years and years. I feel good and I'm (surprisingly) sleeping OK.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »
Last week I asked spouse (who does all the shopping) to buy no more alcohol. There's still some in the house but I'm ignoring it.

1 week sober as of today. That's the longest I've gone for years and years. I feel good and I'm (surprisingly) sleeping OK.

Congrats, AdrianC!

My alcohol spend tends to be pretty low, but it's a main trigger for my migraines, maybe the meds should go under the "Alcohol" rather than "Health" category!

I'm still in early days of tabulating my expenses in this city, but am looking to keep alcohol spend as low as possible, maximizing the enjoyment.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
Managed to get through working a con in Ireland and taking a 6 day train through Russia and a 30 day trip without drinking. Was mostly great :-) had a bit more tea too late in the day than I would’ve liked but it made a big difference in costs for travel overall.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »
I've spent a little over $500 on alcohol since I started tracking (~$66/month). I've also been sober for the past 22 days due to a recent surgery, but I'll be allowed to drink again next week. I kinda like not drinking, and I'm saving money, but realistically I'll probably still drink occasionally at social events. The real challenge for me is once curling starts up, since it's tradition to have a drink after a game. I'm thinking of limiting it to only once a week instead of after every game. I was pretty close to maximum "low-risk" limit of 10 drinks a week for women, and I'd like to lower it a bit, for my health and to save money. I really like the tracking app I've been using, AlcoDroid, but apparently telling people you're tracking your drinking makes you seem like an alcoholic..

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gQ4iM6N4M

I watched the whole show. Thanks for posting.

Congrats, AdrianC!

I appreciate that. Been kinda not wanting to put it out there...in case I fail...but, there it is.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: October 03, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
Good luck Adrian.  I am at 14 months now.  You can message me if you want.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #228 on: October 03, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
Since that post I have actually lowered my alcohol spend (~450$ a month) and am feeling better about it.

Got my monthly spend down to $256 dollars last month, most of which was on a houseboating trip for 4 straight days so progress is picking up here.

Plan to get it down to half that this month and then stay around there. A huge part of it has been not eating meals at bars, no reason to go anymore and if I do it's for one bottle (no more pints) and then water. Have a ton of the beer leftover from the houseboat so any house events I need to supply will come out of that for awhile, I rarely if ever drink at home.

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
Although many in this thread have warned how much harder moderation is than abstinence, I am going to join in and try to moderate. Fire at 45's post about using the YMOYL concept of full utility was the most influential. The first beer at a social gathering has the most utility with the marginal enjoyment dropping exponentially afterward.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Although many in this thread have warned how much harder moderation is than abstinence, I am going to join in and try to moderate. Fire at 45's post about using the YMOYL concept of full utility was the most influential. The first beer at a social gathering has the most utility with the marginal enjoyment dropping exponentially afterward.

I'm fighting to work that same system, buying in hard that every beer after the first provides diminishing returns. I have gotten kick-back from my social circle but when you combine the health benefits with the cost savings and no hangovers it's incredible value.

One of the hardest parts seems to be the same as dieting, forgiving yourself for falling off once and not giving up completely.

Good Luck! (to us both)

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
My one beer on Sunday night felt like a complete waste. Since declaring my intentions publicly here on October 12th I have been craving beer quite badly. The cravings really scare me. Nevertheless, my partner convinced me to have one beer with our tacos (a pairing which usually goes quite well) but it did not feel worth it. Maybe my tolerance is too high because I did not feel anything and regretted the empty calories later. Without the effects of alcohol, beer is just like a more calorie-filled soda and I abhor soda.

Last night we went to a restaurant and I ordered an IPA. Normally this would be a delicious pairing with a burger but again, it felt empty and wasteful. My plan is to abstain for a week or two and reevaluate my position. If I can get to a point where one beer will have an effect on me it might be easier to moderate but if I continue to feel nothing after one beer then it's pointless to even consume one.

Again, the cravings are very scary to me. My addictive personality paired with a family history of alcoholism (on both sides! yay!) gives ample reason to pause and reflect.

Good Luck! (to us both)

Thank you for the encouragement.

If I have a fridge full of beer I am a lot more likely to consume 1 or 2 beers without much thought or even much enjoyment.

Good point. After Sunday, there is no more beer in the fridge. I need to tell my partner about my plans because she is used to viewing my asceticism with skepticism and could buy some beer for me as a treat.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »
Good luck to everyone struggling with desires.

I've been a non drinker for a few years, but in the last ten days I've been doing a while lot of "fuck it." My tolerance is down to nothing, so one drink has a large effect. I just quit my job and will be leaving NYC in a couple months, so I may go crazy until then. Get back to normal after I leave. Luckily I don't have the urge like some people do, it's just a fun social thing for me.

The money adds up fast in this town, though...

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
I just quit my job and will be leaving NYC in a couple months

That's quite a big change. Good luck in your move; moving sucks.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
Nevertheless, my partner convinced me to have one beer with our tacos (a pairing which usually goes quite well) but it did not feel worth it. Maybe my tolerance is too high because I did not feel anything and regretted the empty calories later. Without the effects of alcohol, beer is just like a more calorie-filled soda and I abhor soda.

I, a short female, who drinks about once a month, have the same experience with one glass of wine.  I don't think it's your tolerance, but any amount that will be noticeable will also drop your inhibition to drinking more.  I'd rather drink at home, where I can overdo it a little and not have to worry about driving.

I was thinking that it's like eating one slice of pizza; sure it hits maximum flavor but I'm not full.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
People who have 1-2 drinks/day outlive people who don't drink at all. A general rule of thumb would be 1 drink/day for a smaller person and 2 drinks/day for a larger person.

I am a 210 pound male and have done a very good job of cutting my alcohol consumption down from 3-4 drinks/day to 1-2 drinks/day.

About 2 years ago I was working full-time as a college prof and finishing my dissertation. I was working too much and "needed" a drink when I got home. Dissertation is done and all my classes are prepped. I work about 30 work/week now. I still have a drink when I get home. However, it's not to de-stress.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #236 on: December 05, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »
I had an epiphany a few months ago.  My wife and I had become more frugal fairly recently, but one Saturday afternoon I spent $20 on a six pack of beer, and drank it that night.  We had a conversation the next day about forgoing some of our treats, and yet I wouldn't forgo the beer.

I also have home brewed for many years.  So I made some changes.  Wine only comes from a box, and most of it is used to flavour our cooking.  The odd glass of red goes with pasta.

Home brew I drink most nights, but I try to aim for one pint only.  I brew a mid strength beer, so about 1-2 standard drinks.  A couple of nights off a week, or else I start drinking more and more.  Costs run at about $40 per month on average for the brewing supplies and a box of quality wine.

The costs also cover my wife, and my adult children, one of whom lives with us permanently, and the others are around for meals a fair bit.  So less than half of that would be my consumption.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2017, 06:23:39 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that TheStrenuousLife. :(