Author Topic: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.  (Read 20042 times)

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
Re: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gQ4iM6N4M

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »
How is everyone doing?

This summer was my downfall on reigning in alcohol spending. I had so much fun sitting outside in the backyard sipping beer or wine. I decided to try u-brewing for wine and will have 30 wine bottles ready in a month or so, and then this will help lower my booze spending next year. Well, that is if I don't drink more because I have bottles and bottles. It will also be my Christmas gifts too.

Total alcohol spending:
$938.91

AdrianC

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »
I'm in.

I seldom drink out any more because it is so expensive (and I don't currently have any drinking buddies - probably the main reason). But in the last few years hardly has a night gone by when I don't have at least a beer or a wine after the kids are in bed, or even before they go to bed (bad example...). Then on weekends I got into this thing where I "deserved it". I even started calling it my "Friday night thing". Staying up late, reading message boards, watching some dumb movie, drinking. Then there's "I need it 'cos I'm so stressed out" and "I need it to turn the brain off and sleep".

Last week I asked spouse (who does all the shopping) to buy no more alcohol. There's still some in the house but I'm ignoring it.

1 week sober as of today. That's the longest I've gone for years and years. I feel good and I'm (surprisingly) sleeping OK.

expatartist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: October 03, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »
Last week I asked spouse (who does all the shopping) to buy no more alcohol. There's still some in the house but I'm ignoring it.

1 week sober as of today. That's the longest I've gone for years and years. I feel good and I'm (surprisingly) sleeping OK.

Congrats, AdrianC!

My alcohol spend tends to be pretty low, but it's a main trigger for my migraines, maybe the meds should go under the "Alcohol" rather than "Health" category!

I'm still in early days of tabulating my expenses in this city, but am looking to keep alcohol spend as low as possible, maximizing the enjoyment.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
Managed to get through working a con in Ireland and taking a 6 day train through Russia and a 30 day trip without drinking. Was mostly great :-) had a bit more tea too late in the day than I would’ve liked but it made a big difference in costs for travel overall.

PoutineLover

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: October 03, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »
I've spent a little over $500 on alcohol since I started tracking (~$66/month). I've also been sober for the past 22 days due to a recent surgery, but I'll be allowed to drink again next week. I kinda like not drinking, and I'm saving money, but realistically I'll probably still drink occasionally at social events. The real challenge for me is once curling starts up, since it's tradition to have a drink after a game. I'm thinking of limiting it to only once a week instead of after every game. I was pretty close to maximum "low-risk" limit of 10 drinks a week for women, and I'd like to lower it a bit, for my health and to save money. I really like the tracking app I've been using, AlcoDroid, but apparently telling people you're tracking your drinking makes you seem like an alcoholic..

AdrianC

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gQ4iM6N4M

I watched the whole show. Thanks for posting.

Congrats, AdrianC!

I appreciate that. Been kinda not wanting to put it out there...in case I fail...but, there it is.

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: October 03, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
Good luck Adrian.  I am at 14 months now.  You can message me if you want.

dreadmoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just starting out..
« Reply #258 on: October 03, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
Since that post I have actually lowered my alcohol spend (~450$ a month) and am feeling better about it.

Got my monthly spend down to $256 dollars last month, most of which was on a houseboating trip for 4 straight days so progress is picking up here.

Plan to get it down to half that this month and then stay around there. A huge part of it has been not eating meals at bars, no reason to go anymore and if I do it's for one bottle (no more pints) and then water. Have a ton of the beer leftover from the houseboat so any house events I need to supply will come out of that for awhile, I rarely if ever drink at home.
Just starting on my FIRE journey, hopefully posting here creates accountability and eventually lowers my very anti-mustachian life habits.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: October 03, 2017, 09:12:56 PM »
What I want to know is where is our OP?  Tell us about Ottawa.  How are you doing!?

I'm holding to not really buying it for at home.  When I date, I have a few drinks but all in good control.
I have a journal: A Journey of Self Discovery in the Pursuit of Happiness

On dating endlessly: “Everything will be alright in the end! If it’s not alright, it’s not the end!”

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
Although many in this thread have warned how much harder moderation is than abstinence, I am going to join in and try to moderate. Fire at 45's post about using the YMOYL concept of full utility was the most influential. The first beer at a social gathering has the most utility with the marginal enjoyment dropping exponentially afterward.

dreadmoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just starting out..
« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Although many in this thread have warned how much harder moderation is than abstinence, I am going to join in and try to moderate. Fire at 45's post about using the YMOYL concept of full utility was the most influential. The first beer at a social gathering has the most utility with the marginal enjoyment dropping exponentially afterward.

I'm fighting to work that same system, buying in hard that every beer after the first provides diminishing returns. I have gotten kick-back from my social circle but when you combine the health benefits with the cost savings and no hangovers it's incredible value.

One of the hardest parts seems to be the same as dieting, forgiving yourself for falling off once and not giving up completely.

Good Luck! (to us both)
Just starting on my FIRE journey, hopefully posting here creates accountability and eventually lowers my very anti-mustachian life habits.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »

It's also a good rule to follow when you will be driving.  I'm finding not having it is my house has had the most impact.  If I have a fridge full of beer I am a lot more likely to consume 1 or 2 beers without much thought or even much enjoyment.

On dating endlessly: “Everything will be alright in the end! If it’s not alright, it’s not the end!”

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
My one beer on Sunday night felt like a complete waste. Since declaring my intentions publicly here on October 12th I have been craving beer quite badly. The cravings really scare me. Nevertheless, my partner convinced me to have one beer with our tacos (a pairing which usually goes quite well) but it did not feel worth it. Maybe my tolerance is too high because I did not feel anything and regretted the empty calories later. Without the effects of alcohol, beer is just like a more calorie-filled soda and I abhor soda.

Last night we went to a restaurant and I ordered an IPA. Normally this would be a delicious pairing with a burger but again, it felt empty and wasteful. My plan is to abstain for a week or two and reevaluate my position. If I can get to a point where one beer will have an effect on me it might be easier to moderate but if I continue to feel nothing after one beer then it's pointless to even consume one.

Again, the cravings are very scary to me. My addictive personality paired with a family history of alcoholism (on both sides! yay!) gives ample reason to pause and reflect.

Good Luck! (to us both)

Thank you for the encouragement.

If I have a fridge full of beer I am a lot more likely to consume 1 or 2 beers without much thought or even much enjoyment.

Good point. After Sunday, there is no more beer in the fridge. I need to tell my partner about my plans because she is used to viewing my asceticism with skepticism and could buy some beer for me as a treat.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »
Good luck to everyone struggling with desires.

I've been a non drinker for a few years, but in the last ten days I've been doing a while lot of "fuck it." My tolerance is down to nothing, so one drink has a large effect. I just quit my job and will be leaving NYC in a couple months, so I may go crazy until then. Get back to normal after I leave. Luckily I don't have the urge like some people do, it's just a fun social thing for me.

The money adds up fast in this town, though...

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
I just quit my job and will be leaving NYC in a couple months

That's quite a big change. Good luck in your move; moving sucks.

Runrooster

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
Nevertheless, my partner convinced me to have one beer with our tacos (a pairing which usually goes quite well) but it did not feel worth it. Maybe my tolerance is too high because I did not feel anything and regretted the empty calories later. Without the effects of alcohol, beer is just like a more calorie-filled soda and I abhor soda.

I, a short female, who drinks about once a month, have the same experience with one glass of wine.  I don't think it's your tolerance, but any amount that will be noticeable will also drop your inhibition to drinking more.  I'd rather drink at home, where I can overdo it a little and not have to worry about driving.

I was thinking that it's like eating one slice of pizza; sure it hits maximum flavor but I'm not full.

clarkfan1979

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
People who have 1-2 drinks/day outlive people who don't drink at all. A general rule of thumb would be 1 drink/day for a smaller person and 2 drinks/day for a larger person.

I am a 210 pound male and have done a very good job of cutting my alcohol consumption down from 3-4 drinks/day to 1-2 drinks/day.

About 2 years ago I was working full-time as a college prof and finishing my dissertation. I was working too much and "needed" a drink when I got home. Dissertation is done and all my classes are prepped. I work about 30 work/week now. I still have a drink when I get home. However, it's not to de-stress.

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: December 05, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
What I want to know is where is our OP?  Tell us about Ottawa.  How are you doing!?

I'm holding to not really buying it for at home.  When I date, I have a few drinks but all in good control.

Well, not to throw myself an online pity party but I fell hard off the wagon in the spring when my fiancee passed away suddenly.  Becoming a widower before the age of 30 is enough to drive any man to drink.  My inflated alcohol consumption continued until around mid-November when I got things under control.

But, as I said, not trying to throw myself an online pity party, and after having had the chance to get my life in order through a break off work, which was only possible because of my previous commitment to Mustachianism, I have reengaged with the philosophy as I try to rebuild and move forward.  It really is the perfect package for resiliency and dealing with unexpected crisis. 

All of this to say, I am currently down to drinking one beer on Wednesdays, and usually a few drinks on Saturday.  My relatively modest goal for December 2017 is to not be hungover for a single day.  Hangovers are particularly anti-Mustachianism, they basically arise from spending money to make oneself sick and unproductive for a day. 

middo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Learning.
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »
I had an epiphany a few months ago.  My wife and I had become more frugal fairly recently, but one Saturday afternoon I spent $20 on a six pack of beer, and drank it that night.  We had a conversation the next day about forgoing some of our treats, and yet I wouldn't forgo the beer.

I also have home brewed for many years.  So I made some changes.  Wine only comes from a box, and most of it is used to flavour our cooking.  The odd glass of red goes with pasta.

Home brew I drink most nights, but I try to aim for one pint only.  I brew a mid strength beer, so about 1-2 standard drinks.  A couple of nights off a week, or else I start drinking more and more.  Costs run at about $40 per month on average for the brewing supplies and a box of quality wine.

The costs also cover my wife, and my adult children, one of whom lives with us permanently, and the others are around for meals a fair bit.  So less than half of that would be my consumption.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: December 05, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »

Well, not to throw myself an online pity party but I fell hard off the wagon in the spring when my fiancee passed away suddenly.  Becoming a widower before the age of 30 is enough to drive any man to drink.  My inflated alcohol consumption continued until around mid-November when I got things under control.

But, as I said, not trying to throw myself an online pity party, and after having had the chance to get my life in order through a break off work, which was only possible because of my previous commitment to Mustachianism, I have reengaged with the philosophy as I try to rebuild and move forward.  It really is the perfect package for resiliency and dealing with unexpected crisis. 

All of this to say, I am currently down to drinking one beer on Wednesdays, and usually a few drinks on Saturday.  My relatively modest goal for December 2017 is to not be hungover for a single day.  Hangovers are particularly anti-Mustachianism, they basically arise from spending money to make oneself sick and unproductive for a day.

Man, that is terrible.  <hugs>  Feel free to PM me.  We are kindred spirits from the Lower Deck.  :)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2017, 06:23:39 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that TheStrenuousLife. :(