Author Topic: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.  (Read 10450 times)

smacpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »
Also, if you are interested - after I found this thread and attempted a Drynuary, I stumbled upon this podcast epidsode of Radical Personal Finance.  Decent epidsode to keep motivation imho.

https://radicalpersonalfinance.com/drunkenness-destroys-wealth/

boarder42

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:56 AM »
so after the MC.  we have added some beer and wine back in ... but i dont look at it the same way at all.  i have 1 maybe to glasses on a weekend night.  thats it.  i go by the liquor store and try the free samples on friday after work.  then dont drink at all at home friday.  then maybe a glass saturday maybe not. 

I truly feel more freedom now than i ever have before.  events where i once though alcohol was necessary its not really at all.  I have much more productive weekends.  my relationship with my wife is better. 

total alcohol spending this year 20 - home - 13 bars.  33 bucks thru 2 months.  huge decrease i expect to go down farther.
PM me about how to save 6% on your annual grocery Bill!

There is a 35k starwood bonus right now as well. PM me for the info.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
My tally this year has been:

$25 on a bottle for a friend
$35 on a bottle of spirits for me, of which I had one or two drinks before falling ill with something that meant no booze.

I still have whiskey, rum, bourbon, vodka, gin, port, brandy, kirsch, limoncello, Bailey's, a boutique coffee liqueur, champagne, cider, multiple bottles of red and white, and two different types of beer in the house.

My goal of zero alcohol spending in March is probably doable...

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
My SSO just finished a serious upgrade a cocktail pouring robot he made (Barbot). I'm so proud of him but actually not tempted to drink at all. I can just enjoy showing it off.
Bikes, bowie, and business: using glitter to double my net worth by 30 the new journal- with 68 less pages than the old journal!

I have a brand new podcast about money stress & glitter- check it out (and maybe leave a review so the iTunes gods love me?)

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »
My SSO just finished a serious upgrade a cocktail pouring robot he made (Barbot). I'm so proud of him but actually not tempted to drink at all. I can just enjoy showing it off.

Wait....your SSO built a robot that pours drinks?  Can we get pictures or are you guys keeping it under wraps to patent?  That sounds awesome.  Presumably it could also make non-alcoholic cocktails?

Last Night

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
Week 8 of no drinking is almost wrapped up.

Thoughts so far...

The immediate benefits of not drinking have now "worn off" in the sense that that I no longer feel better (than the previous day) with every passing day.  The low hanging fruit has been collected and the "noob gains" have been achieved.  Now it's more of a stable existence.

I am finding new ways to integrate into social situations when others are drinking and I am not.  Telling someone "oh yea, just go out and have a coke, or something non alcoholic" doesn't work, at least easier said than done.  Avoid the situation all together for as long as you feel you need to.  I'd say the first 6 weeks it was mandatory for me, now I can easily integrate even when others are drinking without feeling urges to drink.

On the weakness front, the good weather is really challenging my willpower.  I was out for a run last Friday when it was nice out, my neighbour saw me and called me over, invited me for a beer and I almost caved.  What's one beer right?  Not the point though.

All in all the honeymoon stage of improvements post drinking seems to be tapering off, now it's about maintaining which isn't as sexy, it's more of a grind, but it is an easier mental grind.

Will keep updating as time passes :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:15:12 AM by Last Night »

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »
You guys are all an inspiration.  Somewhat embarrassed to report that, despite starting this thread, the last two weeks have been complete collapses of willpower.  Tomorrow is another day though, and I'll keep trying!   

I've realized that I have one friend in particular that accounts for almost all of my drinking, so I need to either avoid this person temporarily. or find non-alcoholic activities for us to do. 

boarder42

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »
we have integrated a couple drinks a week back into our schedule til my wife is back on her normal cycle and we can start trying to have a family again. 

this is way off our peak of 2 bottles of wine per night.  and our avg of one bottle per night.  we're now drinking as much or less per week than we used to average a night.

and honestly i dont really miss it.

Last Night

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
You guys are all an inspiration.  Somewhat embarrassed to report that, despite starting this thread, the last two weeks have been complete collapses of willpower.  Tomorrow is another day though, and I'll keep trying!   

I've realized that I have one friend in particular that accounts for almost all of my drinking, so I need to either avoid this person temporarily. or find non-alcoholic activities for us to do.

As long as you are honest with yourself and don't abandon the idea regardless of failures you will succeed to whatever your terms of success are.

I felt a lot like you when I tried to moderate to weekends only (for years), it was not possible.  A few small wins here and there, but over time back to square one.

I am not saying what I am doing now will work either, in fact I have no idea how to handle the future and I still debate if I am going to drink at my 3 month milestone, but the silver lining here is that with every  passing day your confidence that you are capable of sticking to your word builds you up...I was not able to achieve that level of confidence with my moderation attempts, ever.

boarder42

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »

As long as you are honest with yourself and don't abandon the idea regardless of failures you will succeed to whatever your terms of success are.

I felt a lot like you when I tried to moderate to weekends only (for years), it was not possible.  A few small wins here and there, but over time back to square one.

I am not saying what I am doing now will work either, in fact I have no idea how to handle the future and I still debate if I am going to drink at my 3 month milestone, but the silver lining here is that with every  passing day your confidence that you are capable of sticking to your word builds you up...I was not able to achieve that level of confidence with my moderation attempts, ever.

i agree with most of this as well.  My personal issue with anything that society deems "addictive" is that its only addictive to me ina sense of the atmosphere.  So all i have to do is prove i can operate in that atmosphere without it and its pretty easy to let anything go.  I've been thru many different cycles in my life with different things and i personally have what many would call and addictive personality.  but its only addictive to me so long as i see a real benefit.  and removing whatever it was for some time makes things quickly become apparent if there was a true benefit to whatever that act was.  and more often than not i find its not really beneficial and i enjoy my time without what ever it was.  But i can always go back to it in moderation once i've crossed that bridge of removal for some amount of time for whatever reason. 

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2017, 10:18:37 AM »
Well February is basically over at least as far as drinking goes.  Time to tally the drinks.

-1/2 bottle of wine with a friend over dinner with their family & kids
-1 pint of tasters after a day skiing
-1 pint at home after getting home from said day of skiing
-1 pint sitting at home alone with no particular purpose
-1 pint at Canucks game

Total = 9 drinks (count pints as 1.5)

My relationship with alcohol is changing.  By drinking less I have become very conscious of whether I am truly enjoying the drink or that it's just a habit I thought was delivering happiness. 

The 1/2 bottle of wine was very enjoyable over dinner.  To use YMOYL terminology it added to my fulfillment.  Same with the pint at the bar with my friend after skiing.  The pint at home added no fulfillment and I recognized it when I drank it.  Same with the one that had no particular purpose.  The pint at the Canucks game felt like 'the thing to do' with a friend.  I cut my drinking right after that one.  He had 4 pints, I had 1.  It felt fine socially. 

So, in summary I could cut this month's drinking down to 6 drinks that I really enjoyed. 
I have a journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/'i-was-in-the-pool!-i-was-in-the-pool!'-shrinkage-is-real/

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

Last Night

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »
Well February is basically over at least as far as drinking goes.  Time to tally the drinks.

-1 pint at Canucks game

My relationship with alcohol is changing.  By drinking less I have become very conscious of whether I am truly enjoying the drink or that it's just a habit I thought was delivering happiness. 

The 1/2 bottle of wine was very enjoyable over dinner.  To use YMOYL terminology it added to my fulfillment.  Same with the pint at the bar with my friend after skiing.  The pint at home added no fulfillment and I recognized it when I drank it.  Same with the one that had no particular purpose.  The pint at the Canucks game felt like 'the thing to do' with a friend.  I cut my drinking right after that one.  He had 4 pints, I had 1.  It felt fine socially. 

So, in summary I could cut this month's drinking down to 6 drinks that I really enjoyed.

That is awesome, this is my ultimate goal.  Sporadic drinks only when they mean something, you truly enjoy them.

What was your drinking pattern like before?  I feel my will power gets tossed out the window after the first drink.

In your example if I drank that pint with a friend after skiing, I would for sure want to have some drinks after when I get home, even if I am alone.  The mentality is that since I already had one, might as well keep going and enjoy the buzz since mentally I write off the rest of the day for any chance of being productive.

andy85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »
fun fact:
2016: $1040 spent on alcohol, or $86.67/month, or $20/week
2017: $0 spent on alcohol

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since new years....which is almost unbelievable...

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
Booze update!

I have haven't had a drink since Jan 11. I can't believe it and neither can my friends. They keep asking me if I am pregnant, ha.

Is this happening to anyone else too?

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »

-1 pint at Canucks game

That is awesome, this is my ultimate goal.  Sporadic drinks only when they mean something, you truly enjoy them.

What was your drinking pattern like before?  I feel my will power gets tossed out the window after the first drink.

In your example if I drank that pint with a friend after skiing, I would for sure want to have some drinks after when I get home, even if I am alone.  The mentality is that since I already had one, might as well keep going and enjoy the buzz since mentally I write off the rest of the day for any chance of being productive.

I did exactly what you said.  After getting home from skiing I had another beer because it was a long drive and there was the beer.

My pattern before was to have beer in the refrigerator.  I drank a couple on Friday night as a reward for getting through another week.  Through the week I'd have a couple as well.  I was drinking 1 drink per day minimum.

This new discovery feels like I outside of my body and watching how I react to it.  It's a strange but very real self awareness.  I'm going to apply it in other areas of my life. 
I have a journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/'i-was-in-the-pool!-i-was-in-the-pool!'-shrinkage-is-real/

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »
Booze update!

I have haven't had a drink since Jan 11. I can't believe it and neither can my friends. They keep asking me if I am pregnant, ha.

Nope, no one has asked me if I'm pregnant  ;0.  Actually, when I was a game with a friend I just told him I don't drink much these days.  He didn't question it or change his behaviour.  I had one and that was that.

Last Night

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »
That's amazing you can moderate all on your own, not many can go from 1-2 drinks a day to sporadic drinking.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:04:37 PM by Last Night »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
Ran some numbers, on Day 103 of not drinking. Here's my past 24 months of alcohol consumption:

Not drinking is good for my finances. Average spend at bars and for home alcohol (for soda water out or liquor for guests) is now $7.50 a month. Compared to a 2- year historical average of $87 a month. With an average of 1.1 drinks per day in 2016, that's how much drinking alcohol was costing me!
Bikes, bowie, and business: using glitter to double my net worth by 30 the new journal- with 68 less pages than the old journal!

I have a brand new podcast about money stress & glitter- check it out (and maybe leave a review so the iTunes gods love me?)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
^ so awesome, only on the MMM forum do you get bar graphs of drinking patterns.  Seeing the real numbers is telling.  You would probably cringe if you put those numbers into VTSAX.  Then again, not every dollar can be saved. 

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
^^^ Wow. I am really impressed. Just to make it clear, impressed by the graphs, not drinking. :-)
Referral link to Earn 50,000 bonus points with the Southwest Rapid RewardsŪ Premier Credit Card.
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=FHV5&CELL=63HB&MSC=1539893540

Referral link to Earn 50,000 bonus points with the Southwest Rapid RewardsŪ Plus Credit Card.
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=FHTS&CELL=63HB&MSC=1540581297

Freedom from the Daily Grind: http://www.dailygrindfree.com/net-worth/

Last Night

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
Almost two weeks away from my milestone of not drinking for 3 months.  I don't think I will drink that day, don't feel 3 months is enough where I can moderate to the level where I'd be happy (1x month).  I might extend this journey until the end of the year and re evaluate.

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2017, 10:58:17 AM »
Well, as much as I tried to cut back by moderating my drinking and drinking in as opposed to drinking out, the weekend binges are still costing far too much and throwing me way off my goal.  Therefore, I've also decided to join the no-drinking bandwagon, at least for 30 days.  4 days in so far.

Most of my friends have not questioned it, I am just telling them that I need to focus on a big case for the next month (I'm a lawyer) and that I don't have the time to be hungover. 

Last Night

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
Good luck.

It's honestly a lot easier to cold turkey alcohol than it is to moderate (at least for me).  Keep us posted on your progress.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
Booze update!

I'm about to give birth and I'm getting non-stop "what will your first drink be" comments.

Except I don't drink, and haven't for more than a decade.  Never thought it was worth the money.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:09:33 PM by iowajes »

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
This weekend I finished my last few drinks from my birthday a month ago.

I'm going to see how long I can go without buying any. Currently at just over 6 weeks.

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »
I am about a year and a half into not drinking at all. The hardest part for me is explaining to people why I don't drink and also trying to find things to do that do not center around drinking. Choosing not to drink is similar to choosing to be vegan or eat gluten free (assuming you are choosing this and not forced for health reasons) yet I feel like its still not looked upon the same way, IMO. I always feel like people assume I had a drinking problem or something bad happen to me but that is not the case. I just experimented with not drinking and the health and financial benefits of it have been a no brainer for me.

ochenka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »
Last night I dreamt about drinking vodka with my friends... My head hurt all day :D

Just hit 4 months with 0 consumption :)

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
So, I made it past Friday night, which included going to a bar and a restaurant with friends.  Everyone has been super supportive (in fact, almost no one has cared or questioned it), with the exception of my primary drinking friend with whom I did probably 80% of all my drinking.

This friend took it very personally and actually stormed out on me.  That was hard, but if it comes down to it, I may need to risk losing this friendship if they can't accept that I'm going teetotal for awhile.

6 days so far.  No cravings at all, just the above-noted social pressure from my one friend in particular. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »
So, I made it past Friday night, which included going to a bar and a restaurant with friends.  Everyone has been super supportive (in fact, almost no one has cared or questioned it), with the exception of my primary drinking friend with whom I did probably 80% of all my drinking.

This friend took it very personally and actually stormed out on me.  That was hard, but if it comes down to it, I may need to risk losing this friendship if they can't accept that I'm going teetotal for awhile.

6 days so far.  No cravings at all, just the above-noted social pressure from my one friend in particular.

That makes me concerned for your friend, that alcohol is so deeply rooted to his identity and, for him, your friendship.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »
^^ I agree, that's unusual behaviour for a true friend.  Stick with your plan and see how it plays out.  A real friend would accept you for your own personal choices. 

Good luck!  I've only had 1 drink all month.  Hard to believe.

Last Night

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »

Great job staying the course.

I recently had multiple drink fests to attend, wedding, then travelling abroad for work with co workers - everything afterhours revolved around drinking.

I had a great discovery (explaining to drunk people why you don't drink isn't worth the effort)...but here is the kicker, ALL BARS had non alcoholic beers.  *mind blown*  Not even joking, it made the whole experience tolerable from that point of view and no one even had to know.