Author Topic: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.  (Read 18084 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Slashing My Alcohol Spend by 75% starting now.
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2017, 03:46:44 AM »
3 weeks no booze. Wife has to me out of choice. Really not that bad.
Best super bonuses on Credit cards right now - ask me how to Mfg spend to meet the sign up bonus

1. Delta Gold 60k miles Ends November 8th!!

2. Delta Platinum - 70k miles - Ends NOV. 8th!!

Top Cash Back

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
3 weeks no booze. Wife has to me out of choice. Really not that bad.

Good for you!  I have a social event at a bar tonight.  I'm going to try and limit myself to two pints of whatever is on special and then get the hell out of there.   So far my spend for this week is just $6.50 and I don't want to blow it all this weekend.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
Today is the 14th, so that's two weeks of no drinking and no alcohol spending for me.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2017, 12:03:52 AM »
Went to a Bowie tribute night tonight at a bar. Boyfriend and I shared 1 very strong mixed drink (some sort of lethal punch involving gin and many fruity things) for $8 and that was IT. (Normally, we would've had 2-3 drinks apiece. Win?)

SachaFiscal

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »
I've been trying to reduce my drinking for a while but it has been difficult. Im hoping to eliminate buying alcohol to drink at home and just having one drink out once a week at most if I go out with friends or we go out for date night.  I think I've finally convinced my husband to help me out by not bringing home alcoholic beverages. Friday night I managed not to get a bottle of wine on the way home like I usually do so that's good.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
I've been trying to reduce my drinking for a while but it has been difficult. Im hoping to eliminate buying alcohol to drink at home and just having one drink out once a week at most if I go out with friends or we go out for date night.  I think I've finally convinced my husband to help me out by not bringing home alcoholic beverages. Friday night I managed not to get a bottle of wine on the way home like I usually do so that's good.

That's what it's all about.   A HUGE part of drinking at home (non socially) is just a habit.  You have to change your habit.  Maybe find another reward on Friday night that satisfies this craving (i.e. a warm bath, movie night and popcorn).  I have the exact same habit.  Friday night was drink after work night.  It was also sushi order night but I seemed to get over that habit too. 

I'm still at 1 drink for the month.  Tonight I am having a dinner with friends at my house so I will allow myself some wine.  Just not a whole bottle or even 1/2.
I have a journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/'i-was-in-the-pool!-i-was-in-the-pool!'-shrinkage-is-real/

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
That's what it's all about.   A HUGE part of drinking at home (non socially) is just a habit.  You have to change your habit.  Maybe find another reward on Friday night that satisfies this craving (i.e. a warm bath, movie night and popcorn). 

Yeah, this is my issue too, for sure. I want a treat, but at Boyfriend's request there are no treats in the house.....  but hey, there's wine!

I've tried herbal tea but that isn't really doing the trick (probably because our heat - which we cannot control - is always blasting so hot drinks aren't appealing). Maybe I can start baking stuff he doesn't like. Things with coconut or oatmeal or coffee flavoring or other stuff he won't eat.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
Since I decided to go cold turkey a few days before Christmas I have no desire to drink. I remember my wife saying "but you have a lot of alcohol at home who is going to drink those?". :-) I guess, for now, financial and health benefits of not drinking is winning. That doesn't mean that I will never drink in the future. But it wouldn't hurt to give my liver a break.

BTW, I have always been able make changes and don't worry or get bothered by them too much. Example? Here is my current view from my desk while I am typing this post. :-)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
Nice going everyone!

A guy at happy hour on Thursday offered to buy me a drink. I asked for water. He laughed and asked me what I really wanted. I said water. He asked again, and I told him I stopped drinking two years ago.

Only then did he get me water.

We talked about my reasons for a bit, and I was like, eh, I could be happy drinking, and I could be happy not drinking. So why drink? I don't need it, and it's cheaper and healthier not to.

meghan88

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »
Today is the 14th, so that's two weeks of no drinking and no alcohol spending for me.

Congrats - same here.  Consciously having a dry January - actually I'm trying a 35-day abstention, and it's easier than I thought.  On the odd evening when I think "gee, a glass of wine sure would be nice", I tell my monkey brain to STFU.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
I think my total alcohol spending for January so far is approximately $15. It isn't nothing, but it's fairly low, so I'm happy for now.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »

Me too! This is the longest I have went without alcohol for quite a while. 1-2 years for sure I think.

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
Glad to see everyone doing well, same boat here (2 weeks of not drinking).

Have to say this past weekend was tempting, Friday/Saturday nights being the worst.  The thought of having a beer rush in and won't go away for about 5 minutes (torture), but if you can occupy yourself with something else it all just passes.  I find that as long as I make it to Sunday, the thoughts/demons leave me alone (until next Friday lol).

bridget

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
Glad to see everyone doing well, same boat here (2 weeks of not drinking).

Have to say this past weekend was tempting, Friday/Saturday nights being the worst.  The thought of having a beer rush in and won't go away for about 5 minutes (torture), but if you can occupy yourself with something else it all just passes.  I find that as long as I make it to Sunday, the thoughts/demons leave me alone (until next Friday lol).

Does it help to know that I gave into temptation on Friday night, and spent the rest of the weekend regretting it? (I should have known that even if my total number of drinks was low-ish, switching from red wine to gin is a baaaad idea for me). It was free, because my friend's new boyfriend insisted in picking up the tab (he is over the top when it comes to the chivalry thing, something that would drive me batty if I were the one dating him, but whatevs). But it sucked, and you made better choices, so pat yourself on the back!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
Just two days away from 50 days of no drinking/no alcohol spend for me (on the 18th). Probably shooting for 100, but haven't publicly declared it or anything. Last time I took this long of a break from alcohol it was ~6 months 3 years ago but due to medication, not due to any other reason.

Drinking too much caffeine though, partially to compensate I think (it's subconscious, it's not like I think "I want a beer, I should make myself an espresso" but it's around the same time of day/triggers for me.)

Now it's sort of a "don't break the streak" thing, which is kind of a bummer, because I want to have a whiskey occasionally without breaking my streak but I know that will demotivate me (there's a reason why after I lost my 512 day duolingo streak due to time zone issues, I fell off the wagon for months. Now that I'm at 412 days of duolingo again, I can't even consider stopping.)

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
Brought the spend down to $32.58 CDN this week.  Still too high, but a lot better than $109.88 the first week.  Aiming for $25 or less this week.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
Since I decided to go cold turkey a few days before Christmas I have no desire to drink. I remember my wife saying "but you have a lot of alcohol at home who is going to drink those?". :-) I guess, for now, financial and health benefits of not drinking is winning. That doesn't mean that I will never drink in the future. But it wouldn't hurt to give my liver a break.

BTW, I have always been able make changes and don't worry or get bothered by them too much. Example? Here is my current view from my desk while I am typing this post. :-)

I'd take the Bulliet in a heartbeat.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2017, 06:15:30 AM »
Just two days away from 50 days of no drinking/no alcohol spend for me (on the 18th). Probably shooting for 100, but haven't publicly declared it or anything. Last time I took this long of a break from alcohol it was ~6 months 3 years ago but due to medication, not due to any other reason.

Drinking too much caffeine though, partially to compensate I think (it's subconscious, it's not like I think "I want a beer, I should make myself an espresso" but it's around the same time of day/triggers for me.)

Now it's sort of a "don't break the streak" thing, which is kind of a bummer, because I want to have a whiskey occasionally without breaking my streak but I know that will demotivate me (there's a reason why after I lost my 512 day duolingo streak due to time zone issues, I fell off the wagon for months. Now that I'm at 412 days of duolingo again, I can't even consider stopping.)

Damn congrats!

Also what language are you working on for duolingo?

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2017, 06:18:58 AM »
19 days booze-free! :)

I have a confession. I've decided to drink tomorrow night! I'm going out to a really fun dance party with my friends and my new gf. It's the first time they are meeting each other and I'm really excited.

I could go sober, but it would be considerably less fun, and I would get really sleepy and want to leave by midnight LOL. I'm going to have a few pre-drinks (which I already have on hand so I don't have to spend any money). And limit myself to buying 2 beers at the bar which will be easy for me to stick to.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »

Thanks for the congrats :-) Honestly, it's surprisingly easy. My biggest triggers have been watching people pour a whiskey on TV. I think "that looks good!" And then I think "But, really? Is it really as good? What about your streak?" And then I forget about it.

My SSO (statistically significant other) makes himself pretty fancy cocktails every night but that doesn't make me want booze at all - just the seeing it on TV. I think it's something about glamorous TV people drinking. A good argument for not watching TV, I suppose, but I'm not currently exercising willpower in that part of my life.

German is the one with the streak; I finished my "tree" a long time ago, so now it's just daily maintenance. I need to start forcing myself to have conversations in German so I don't lose my spoken German, but right now it's not my top priority. I'm also doing Russian on duolingo because I'm traveling the trans-siberian railway this year, but it's not really enough instruction to have that be my only way of learning.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
My biggest triggers have been watching people pour a whiskey on TV. I think "that looks good!"

Fucking Archer! Every single episode.

I gotta go back to watching House on Netflix. Vicodin has absolutely no appeal.

bridget

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »
My biggest triggers have been watching people pour a whiskey on TV. I think "that looks good!"

Jack Donaghy looks so smooth with his glass of scotch in his dimly lit office; wouldn't I look that cool on my couch?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »

Jack Donaghy looks so smooth with his glass of scotch in his dimly lit office; wouldn't I look that cool on my couch?
^yea that!! Also, Scandal (Olivia Pope with a glass of wine & bowl of popcorn in her stupidly luxurious all-white loungewear).

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »

:-).
That thing is awesome. Wow, you gotta know your bourbon if you can recognize Bulliet from that picture. :-)
BTW, still going strong.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:23:27 AM by DailyGrindFree »

moof

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
Let my beer supply run out at home a few days ago.  Trying to keep it to special occasions only moving forward. 

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
Late to the party but I'm in! DW and I are going alcohol free until we have finished paying off my student loan (currently at 49k, hoping to be done early 2018) and saved a down payment for a house (in the SF Bay Area, no less!). If someone offers me a free beer, I might partake, but otherwise will be teetotaling for a fair while :)

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »

Thanks for the congrats :-) Honestly, it's surprisingly easy. My biggest triggers have been watching people pour a whiskey on TV. I think "that looks good!" And then I think "But, really? Is it really as good? What about your streak?" And then I forget about it.

My SSO (statistically significant other) makes himself pretty fancy cocktails every night but that doesn't make me want booze at all - just the seeing it on TV. I think it's something about glamorous TV people drinking. A good argument for not watching TV, I suppose, but I'm not currently exercising willpower in that part of my life.

German is the one with the streak; I finished my "tree" a long time ago, so now it's just daily maintenance. I need to start forcing myself to have conversations in German so I don't lose my spoken German, but right now it's not my top priority. I'm also doing Russian on duolingo because I'm traveling the trans-siberian railway this year, but it's not really enough instruction to have that be my only way of learning.

Sehr gut! Have fun!

I used duolingo for french prior to (and during) a 6-week french immersion program last spring. I have already forgotten a lot of what I learned. I should follow your lead.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2017, 08:06:26 PM »
Late to the party but I'm in! DW and I are going alcohol free until we have finished paying off my student loan (currently at 49k, hoping to be done early 2018) and saved a down payment for a house (in the SF Bay Area, no less!). If someone offers me a free beer, I might partake, but otherwise will be teetotaling for a fair while :)

+1 killing debt is a good reason to not kill the bottle. 
I have a journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/'i-was-in-the-pool!-i-was-in-the-pool!'-shrinkage-is-real/

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2017, 12:53:35 AM »

:-).
That thing is awesome. Wow, you gotta know your whiskey if you can recognize Bulliet from that picture. :-)
BTW, still going strong.
[/quote]

I figure anyone who has it on their shelf must know theirs as well, so I'll take the compliment. :D

MustacheMathTM

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2017, 06:33:20 AM »
Closing in on week 3 of no drinking.  With Friday/Saturday coming up just some encouragement for everyone still holding out.

Not sure about everyone else, but after being a social drinker for years and the 2 weeks of non stop drinking during the holidays not drinking has had some dramatic effects:

1. My focus and ability to concentrate has probably improved at least 3x.
2. I am a lot happier, this has to do with not being cloudy in the morning, regretting anything I did/said the night before, or hating myself for pissing away my night/day.
3. Productivity, this ties to number 1, but I feel I have a lot more time.
4. I feel great health wise.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2017, 07:48:09 AM »
Closing in on week 3 of no drinking.  With Friday/Saturday coming up just some encouragement for everyone still holding out.

Not sure about everyone else, but after being a social drinker for years and the 2 weeks of non stop drinking during the holidays not drinking has had some dramatic effects:

1. My focus and ability to concentrate has probably improved at least 3x.
2. I am a lot happier, this has to do with not being cloudy in the morning, regretting anything I did/said the night before, or hating myself for pissing away my night/day.
3. Productivity, this ties to number 1, but I feel I have a lot more time.
4. I feel great health wise.

1. i havent seen much of that in my 4 weeks sober
2. 100% yes... i tend to over drink when i drink esp. in a social environment and i'm abrassive.  (shouldnt be a surprise to many who have seen my posts around here) my filter goes away after a few drinks.  and i wake up with a mad wife half the time ... and most of the time i couldnt remember if i did anything bad or not. 
3. yes tons more time rather than just opening a bottle of wine at 11 on saturday i went out and did some work in my garage on a crappy snowy slushy icey day.
4. i dont know if i feel much different minus the not feeling a little hung over some mornings.
5. ties into 2 its helped my relationship with my wife.  she would always get concerned when we had parties about what i may do or say.  she worries to no end ... so that whole part is gone now.  Probably helps her stay less stressed while pregnant too ... not worrying about me over drinking.
Best super bonuses on Credit cards right now - ask me how to Mfg spend to meet the sign up bonus

1. Delta Gold 60k miles Ends November 8th!!

2. Delta Platinum - 70k miles - Ends NOV. 8th!!

Top Cash Back

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »
If anyone's interested here's one guys experience with cutting alcohol...several are the same as listed above.

This guy is very funny and has a lot of other great videos about helping men with various other facets of their life (i.e. in the bedroom).  He's appeared on Shark Tank a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya4ww-l9XNc

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »
CHOKE. Bought a drink for me and a drink for Boyfriend at an ACLU fundraiser show Friday night. Total: $23 (plus tip). And Boyfriend didn't even like his.

Facepunch! Note to self, don't buy drinks at establishments that don't show the prices. If I had known my glass of wine was $10 I would not have had it.

... at least it was for a good cause? :(

$8 on a bottle of wine today while grocery shopping. Does it count if a cup of it is going in a recipe?

TheStrenuousLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »
I spent $132 on wine this weekend....but it was for 24 bottles of do-it-yourself wine, with a $18.00 bottle deposit that is fully refundable if I return the bottles.   This works out to $4.75 a bottle and should keep me well-stocked until at least June.  I had originally placed my order in November and got the call on Friday that it was ready to bottle. 

I went to the same place featured by Mr. Frugal Toque on the blog: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/01/30/how-to-make-wine-in-canada/

Now the trick is going to be to rely upon this stash of wine instead of going out or buying anything at all from the regulated duopoly that exists in Ontario of the Beer Store and the LCBO.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »
Hey Everyone!

I took a look when this thread was first posted but didn't really apply to us as we don't spend a lot on alcohol. Just catching up now. Super interesting that many people have morphed it into a no-drinks challenge. This is awesome!

Just wanted to pop in and show my support and share a link with you. This has some pretty interesting data shared - although it is a fairly small sample size:http://www.thisepiclife.com/crazy-ass-impact-of-drinking-less/ and the drinks calc is pretty eye opening: https://form.jotform.com/62565074894164

Full Disclosure; KC is a friend of mine, and I paid for a family member to do his first "New Sobriety" program. I would say that it was life-changing, both for the person who did it (who was a moderate drinker)  AND the alcoholic they live with. 

Whether you are cutting down or cutting out, it is cool to see the conversations taking place :)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2017, 10:32:23 AM »
That drinks calc is totally up my alley. The fun part is that I extensively track data in my life, so I didn't have to estimate the #'s of drinks or the $$ spent on drinks, but it was interesting to see how many hours per week I have alcohol in my system!

I'm now into day 55 of not drinking, and it's so fucking easy after awhile it's ridiculous.  Not requiring any willpower anymore. Went to a (stadium) comedy show and was delighted to not spend $8 on a beer like everyone else at stadium prices.

We'll see if I make it to 100 days, but right now it seems pretty easy. I haven't flown yet, and usually when I'm flying (business class) I have trouble saying no to free whiskey in air or in the lounge.

thesvenster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
wife just got pregnant so we're slashing ours by 100% for the next 9 months.  not fair to her for me to drink and not her.

What? You now have an automatic DD for 9 months and you won't drink?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »
wife just got pregnant so we're slashing ours by 100% for the next 9 months.  not fair to her for me to drink and not her.

What? You now have an automatic DD for 9 months and you won't drink?
Ha! Solidarity, seriously. She's making a human with his DNA, it's the least he can do to show some solidarity.

Patches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2017, 03:56:05 PM »
Hmmmmm....

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »

MustacheMathTM

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »
Another weekend behind me without drinking, another weekend when the temptation was pretty high.

I am finding as long as I plan some activities for Friday/Saturday that don't involve drinking I get by pretty easily.  If I have no plans and get bored, the thoughts flood my head.  Also doesn't help that I've declined all social gatherings and friends' birthdays in the last 2 weeks simply not to expose myself to a situation where I cave in.  This leaves a lot of free time that I didn't have before to do other things.

It's getting easier, but it's still hard :(

Candace

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2017, 07:47:42 AM »
CHOKE. Bought a drink for me and a drink for Boyfriend at an ACLU fundraiser show Friday night. Total: $23 (plus tip). And Boyfriend didn't even like his.

Facepunch! Note to self, don't buy drinks at establishments that don't show the prices. If I had known my glass of wine was $10 I would not have had it.

... at least it was for a good cause? :(

$8 on a bottle of wine today while grocery shopping. Does it count if a cup of it is going in a recipe?

You may already know this, but you can get the 187 ml bottles (~6.3 oz) in four-packs at the supermarket for using in recipes. This may be helpful, or it may just make me a wet blanket, or both :-).

For some reason I find this thread fascinating. I guess I'm lucky in that I can't drink more than a drink or two over an evening before my body tells me it's time to stop. If I ever want to get a buzz, I have to do shots.

You all have a cheerleader on the sidelines though. Seeing that much money get poured down your throats must be painful, especially when you calculate how much it costs over a period of time. Since I'm addicted to chocolate, I know how it feels (to some extent, anyway) to hear the siren call of something you know is not going to do you any good, yet you can't resist it. I'm rooting for all of you!

TheBeardandTheBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
how about home brewing? Anybody do that to cut cost? I heard the start up can be costly but after that it's pretty inexpensive compared to store bought beer

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
I don't mean to be a kill joy or anything, but I have a pretty strong alcoholic streak in my family. To anyone who's trying not to drink for any reason and is feeling tempted - for your sake, please carefully and honestly evaluate WHY. Because feeling like you "need" to is actually a sign of a problem, regardless of why you "need" to.

Do not become my uncle, who spent last Christmas having his 3 year old twin grandchildren carefully distracted away from playing with him because he was drunk. Again, and as usual. This guy doesn't stumble, slur his words, or anything. In fact, it took until I was 20 before I ever realized that he was almost always drunk when I saw him.

thesvenster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
how about home brewing? Anybody do that to cut cost? I heard the start up can be costly but after that it's pretty inexpensive compared to store bought beer

I would also be interested in the math on this. My impression was that it was not cheaper even after startup.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »

I would also be interested in the math on this. My impression was that it was not cheaper even after startup.
It is much, much cheaper  (.50-1$ bottle for good beer) after startup as long as you don't calculate out paying yourself for the time spent. I used to do it frequently, but I don't have the space to store carboys anymore. It's a fun hobby but it is a hobby, to be clear. It takes time & energy to learn like any hobby. It's easiest if you have a gas stove, but otherwise you can get a burner and do it outside.

Patches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »

You can get everything you need to start here for under $100.  http://www.northernbrewer.com/essential-brewing-starter-kit   or used on craigslist for cheap.

You can make 45 good beers for $35.  Which here in Seattle is about half price of microbrews at the store.  But like any hobby, there is some joy in creating your own stuff.  And additional effort is required. 

Biggest issue I've run across is getting tired of the beer after about 12 or 24... and then just giving the rest of it away.

Patrick

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
Lot of badassity shown here!
Personally, I used to drink.. a fair amount. Pretty toasty most nights. Guesstimate $250/mo habit. All consumed at home. Felt guilty about it - till every evening.
2yrs ago I woke up with a hangover and had to drive 8hrs with it. Nasty. Went 100% on the wagon for about 2months. Don't crave it any more, and actually learned to be moderate, moderate.
SWAMI (Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual) 1 stash, 1 DW, 7 Mini MM's...
God, Family, Country. Everything else is details.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2017, 03:11:52 PM »
Biggest issue I've run across is getting tired of the beer after about 12 or 24... and then just giving the rest of it away.
I used to make friends with other homebrewers & do trades of 6-packs at meet-ups which is fun!

Also back when I was in college I sold the homebrews in my housing co-op which let me turn a tidy profit, but that was a nice easy built in network.

Last Night

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
Lot of badassity shown here!
Personally, I used to drink.. a fair amount. Pretty toasty most nights. Guesstimate $250/mo habit. All consumed at home. Felt guilty about it - till every evening.
2yrs ago I woke up with a hangover and had to drive 8hrs with it. Nasty. Went 100% on the wagon for about 2months. Don't crave it any more, and actually learned to be moderate, moderate.

Inspiring...how long after cold turkey did you find being a moderate as a legit possibility without going back to old habits?

How do you define moderate?

I plan to stay sober for 3 months and after that I'd like to try moderation (drinking once a month maybe).  This is coming from having a couple of drinks 5/7 days for years.