Sun Hat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: September 02, 2018, 06:32:42 AM »
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 08:26:49 AM by Sun Hat »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: September Weight Loss Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »
I weighed in at 135.0 yesterday and would like to hit and maintain 132.0 for this month. Let’s do it!

Using Haply Scale + MFP to track progress.
Low-ish carb + HIIT workouts

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 07:01:00 AM »
I'm up!
Checked in at 94.5kg today, I aim for at least 0.5kg per week on average, so I'm in for 2kg to get me down to 92.5kg

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 07:45:39 AM »
I'm down to 189.4 pounds this morning ( from 199 last month!!)

I'm eating moderate low carb (probably between 50-80 g. of carbs per day) and using MFP to track calories, trying for under 1600 daily.   I work out daily in the evenings but am not doing anything too strenuous.   Weight loss for a woman in her 50s is hard so I"m expecting a stall.

My goal for this month is therefore to end at 182 pounds. 

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
I'm in. I'm fat at 188. This is the most I've weighed since retiring from the Army in 2007. I'm 4 weeks into Couch to 5k and have cut out bread focusing on MyFitnessPal, reducing sugar & carbs, lots of fresh veggies, grilling only chicken & fish. Will update as my progress continues. Doing it for me!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
Well, I have basically gained back some of what I lost so I am in again. August was a dud.  I am only aiming for 5 lbs this month.  Starting at 159.   But, I have lost 6 to date .

It is time to make a withdrawal around the middle and reallocate to more profitable accounts. 

Loved the intro OP.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »

It is time to make a withdrawal around the middle and reallocate to more profitable accounts. 

I wish there were a way to direct my deposits!

Res Ipsa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
I'm in.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:16:00 PM by Res Ipsa »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
Will aim for 4 lbs
currently at 149 from 158 earlier this year--that's mostly been through increased activity, so would be really pleased to get to 145 while also increasing strength

Next step: healthier choices and reduce mindless snacking (my partner has dubbed me a 'snackoholic' this will be my autumn mindfulness focus, querying 'am I actually hungry?' and 'what am i hungry for')

Megs193

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
I am in.  Last year in September I was at my goal weight and I’ve managed to gain back 15 pounds.  I am 158 today so my goal for September is 5 pounds. I don’t follow any special diet. I try to eat a balanced diet and exercise and most importantly avoid alcohol. I’m pretty sure the majority of my 15 pounds came from alcohol and the bad food I eat once I start drinking.

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 11:47:59 AM »
I’m in. I’d like to drop 9 lbs this month. I have a lot to drop so this shouldn’t be impossible, but will still be a challenge.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
Woot! 7 lbs for me please!

I started Sept at 164 but there was probably a little water weight. I was 163 this morning. Highest adult weight was 220 lbs 7 years ago. Lowest was 155 about 5 years ago after I got serious. I hovered around 160-165 for several years and the I balloned up to 180 over Christmas last year. I gained 15 lbs in 6 weeks. Now I'm trying to get serious again and get down to my goal of about 140, a number I haven't seen since I was 10 or so.  It's not easy. 

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 01:28:54 PM »
I will go for 10lbs, target weight of 215.

I've lost about 20lbs from my highest which was back in Feb/Mar. Haven't been sub 100kg in probably 10 years.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 01:44:09 PM »
I'm in for 4 again. Down 14 in the last 5 months since I started doing the monthly challenges. Would like to lose 31 more

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 02:55:20 PM »
This sounds like fun.

I am looking to get my 7 day rolling average weight down to 195lbs. I'm only a few lbs off, after having lost 25lbs since 6/14.

Anything less than 195 and I start to look emaciated. Bleh

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 03:39:20 PM »
I need a break from strict tracking, so I won't but any numbers down. But I would like to check in, and keep myself on track.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
1st of September I was 96.3 kg.  My aim is a loss of 1.4 kg, to 94.9 kg.  Not a huge target, but one I really want to hit and keep.

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 11:23:30 PM »
In for 6 lbs again. It's interesting how just posting here helps keep me somewhat on the straight & narrow. I'm down 10.4 lbs since the beginning of July. Thanks Sun Hat for keeping these challenges going & good luck everyone!

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 12:13:13 AM »
I  am in for 4 kg this month, at 75,2 kg now, future goal is to get down to 67,5kg again. Thanks for the support!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
I'm in for 4 again. Down 14 in the last 5 months since I started doing the monthly challenges. Would like to lose 31 more

Awesome job, keep.us motivated.

RayO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
I’m in too. I weighed 188.8 September 1st and my goal is to lose 10.8 lbs (178lbs). Preparing healthier meals at home and resist takeout when I’m tired. I’m batch cooking for the week today 😊

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
You can update my "a few" to "3lbs" =P

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 04:29:32 AM »
I'm in for a conservative 3 lbs. August was a bust-- all I could manage was maintaining, but I was visiting family which always leads to more eating and less exercise, so maintaining wasn't the worst case scenario!

minimos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »
I'm in!  I need motivation....maybe y'all can help kick my butt into gear.  Im aiming for 1.5 lbs/ week.. so 6 lbs total. 

sallyanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
I ended August at 131.2 which was higher than I hoped. I'll set a conservative goal of 4 lb this month.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
I'm gonna go with a pound a week. My weight has been creeping up over time and I don't like it. Made myself a chart with entries for each day and a weekly average, along with a goal weight, until the end of the year. At that point, I'll be at a weight I'd be happy to maintain. Going to hang that above my scale and try to weigh myself daily. Next step, going to make myself a visual reminder of some healthy ways I can achieve my goal, including more movement and less snacking on empty calories. Good luck everyone!

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
I am in for 10lbs.  Sitting at 249 right now.   

Get there by: Hardcore biking, weights and eating well.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 07:41:40 AM »
Where did you hear that? I thought 23 was only the guideline for some Asian countries and people of Asian decent.

I track calories and weight daily. If not, I immediately fall off the wagon. Seeing weight fluctuations still frustrates me even though I know it's totally normal. I'm not sure what to do about it though. I just try to psych myself into using both high days and low days as motivation.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:50 AM »
I'm in for 5 lbs.  That might be an overly modest target since I (for some reason) spiked up like 4 lbs on my end of August number.  It is pretty crazy how much my numbers (I use one of those bio impedance scales) can move around over a couple of days.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:01:18 PM by CorpRaider »

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »
I forgot to put a shed weight goal for the month. I'm going for 4 lbs. I'm at week 5 with couch to 5k and feeling great. When I was younger I worked out all the time. The program has really helped me kickstart a healthier lifestyle again!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »
Put me down for 5 lbs. My journal is dedicated to my mundane weight loss journey, and I'm going for a pound a week, roughly. Eating keto will be my way to get there.

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »
Where did you hear that? I thought 23 was only the guideline for some Asian countries and people of Asian decent.

I track calories and weight daily. If not, I immediately fall off the wagon. Seeing weight fluctuations still frustrates me even though I know it's totally normal. I'm not sure what to do about it though. I just try to psych myself into using both high days and low days as motivation.

Have you tried keeping track of your weight using an app like Happy Scale? It keeps a running average of your weight so that the fluctuations don’t frustrate you as much. I find that weighing myself every day is actually really motivating except for the days when I have very high fluctuations (damn Chinese food and monthly hormones!) so this app has really helped me stay focused on my long term goals. I also like the prediction option because I challenge myself to beat the prediction date.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »
I track my weight (as does my wife) on a google sheets page we share.  We keep a 7 day moving average too, so we can see if it is going the right way.  Too much food (i.e. desserts or pre-dinner nibbles) cause the most issues for us.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »
Take BMI with a grain of salt, especially if you are muscular. I just did a calculation online and apparently I'm "overweight" with a BMI of 26.6

The kicker? I have a six pack and wear 32 x 32 jeans/slacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 05:42:30 AM »
Yeah BMI is pretty much just a really rough guideline. It's known to be flat out wrong for for very muscular people. Somehow supposed to be some sort of proxy for average bodyfat for the average person of your height and weight or something. Key being average person. Me, I'm using it as a benchmark cause I'm plenty squishy enough not to have to worry about that.

Went out for work dinner yesterday. I'm up 3 lbs compared to yesterday. I know that can't be all real weight but it's still a struggle not to let it get me down. Last time this happened it took me 2 weeks to get back to where I was before the incident. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:44:46 AM by neophyte »

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »
Yeah BMI is pretty much just a really rough guideline. It's known to be flat out wrong for for very muscular people. Somehow supposed to be some sort of proxy for average bodyfat for the average person of your height and weight or something. Key being average person. Me, I'm using it as a benchmark cause I'm plenty squishy enough not to have to worry about that.

Went out for work dinner yesterday. I'm up 3 lbs compared to yesterday. I know that can't be all real weight but it's still a struggle not to let it get me down. Last time this happened it took me 2 weeks to get back to where I was before the incident.

I've found that a moving 7 day average paints a much better picture for me.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 06:48:44 AM »
I am not weighing in until at least Monday. I went off the rails yesterday emotionally eating after dealing with a lot of personal stuff. Lesson learned, moving on, but going to hold off on torturing myself on the scale for a few days since I know my weight is up.

In other news, I killed my workout today, so I have that going for me.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
I'm out of town at a family wedding now. It's rough. I can't weigh or measure anything or see any labels and so far I haven't been able to make any food choices other than take it or leave it. Not very many fruits or vegetables to be seen. I wasn't able to work out yesterday but I needed a day off anyway.

I feel really sluggish this morning and I'm sure it's a combination of sleep deprivation and the dietary change. I'm going to try to get my workout in anyway. I've gotta make it through 4 more days before I can go home.

I've found that a moving 7 day average paints a much better picture for me.
I actually have an app that tracks this way too, but I find it doesn't make much difference to me.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
I'm down to 189.4 pounds this morning ( from 199 last month!!)

1 week in, I am 188.4 pounds today.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »
Down 2lbs so far, so mostly on track but it have 2 weeks of work travel coming up which always complicates things. wife and I have decided to limit alcohol to 1day a week which should make a difference in addition to healthier/more conscious eating.

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
Burned 1800 calories today with a 2.5 hour bike ride.....

ethereality

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
I'll join. I'd like to lose 5 pounds, but more importantly, try and work in regular exercise. I've been feeling pretty down lately with the end of my engagement and maybe it would help cheer me up.

Today, I'm ~136 and reaching for ~130. Joining a climbing gym tomorrow and starting dance classes this week.

RayO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
I’m down 2.7 lbs for 1 week check in (186.1lbs). I ate a whole food plant based diet all week except for lunch today.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »
I’ll weigh in tomorrow before the gym. Workout 2/15 for September. Had to take the first week off due to a hip strain. All better now.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »
1st of September I was 96.3 kg.  My aim is a loss of 1.4 kg, to 94.9 kg.  Not a huge target, but one I really want to hit and keep.

96.6 kg today.  No real movement yet, but considering what I ate on the weekend, not too bad.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »
I'm getting very anxious about not being able to weigh myself and all the eating that's been going on. The only silver lining is that I've been able to keep up my workouts. All my normal walking has been cut out though and that's usually around 15k steps a day. My entire day now might be fewer steps than my normal morning dog walk.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 04:06:31 PM »
Started September at 210.4.

This morning was a 208.8, so, almost halfway there to my 5lb September goal.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2018, 05:10:09 AM »
Forgot to post this yesterday 3/15.

This morning I ended up weighing in at 136.2. Up a bit, but weight loss is not linear and I’m not getting discouraged over it.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »
I’ll weigh in tomorrow before the gym. Workout 2/15 for September. Had to take the first week off due to a hip strain. All better now.

My wife goes to OTF and I know how tough it is to get splats let alone ~30. Awesome job!

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2018, 11:49:22 AM »
I'm in for 5 lbs.  That might be an overly modest target since I (for some reason) spiked up like 4 lbs on my end of August number.  It is pretty crazy how much my numbers (I use one of those bio impedance scales) can move around over a couple of days.

Down 3.3 lbs month to date, but like I said the starting point was kind of artificially high since I just spiked up almost 4 lbs at month end (in like one day).  My weight is bouncing around like crazy but I'm lifting a fair amount too.