Author Topic: Selling ALL our crap in 2018... anyone want to join?  (Read 5943 times)

newgirl

• Stubble
Selling ALL our crap in 2018... anyone want to join?
« on: December 30, 2017, 10:40:27 PM »
My god we are drowning in clutter. Being shacked up with a borderline hoarder is tough. My resolution this year is to DE-FUCKING-CLUTTER this place, and make some money while I'm doing it. Selling on Ebay, Craigslist, and FB BST groups.

So far I am just working on *my* stuff before tackling AP's (Awesome Partner) stuff. To date, I have sold:

Cloth diapering supplies (diapers and wool covers) ~ Netted about $420 after shipping costs
Old LuLaRoe (bought on closeout) ~ Netted about $60 after shipping costs

Currently listed, assuming they sell at the listed price I will net around...

Barely used designer purse ($75)
Unopened Shakeology bags (I already facepunched myself on this, subscription cancelled and selling anything unopened) ($170)
AIO cloth diaper lots ($300)
Additional wool diaper covers ($120)

Not a bad chunk of change to throw at the CC debt. It's actually a lot of fun to hunt around for stuff to sell. I hate all this crap and it's sooooo satisfying to get $$ back for it. Anyone want to join me in a quest to sell all the shit we don't need in 2018?

frugalkristen

• Stubble
Re: Selling ALL our crap in 2018... anyone want to join?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 07:22:09 AM »
That's awesome!  I made about $550 in 2017 selling crap on Craigslist.  I don't have a ton of stuff left to sell but I hope to get about $200 in 2018 selling a few more things.  I love having less stuff!  It feels great!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 07:41:56 AM »
I think we'll complete the last stages of "leaning out" our stuff as we transition to a mobile-friendly FIRE posture. I need a new laptop so I'm getting on that is light and will travel well. That will allow us to dump the old, AC-tethered laptop and desktop we have. We vacated our house and dumped a bunch of stuff in the process this year but we have a 5x10 storage unit with the leftovers that we'll likely slim down once we've realize we don't need some of it.

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »
YESSSSS both bags of the Shakeology just sold - another $170 in my pocket after shipping!

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
Awesome newgirl!  I have someone coming over Tuesday to buy one of the extra kitchen cabinets that I didn't use (I bought kitchen cabinets for my remodel on Craigslist for $500 - and sold the few I didn't need!  As well as my old metal cabinets!).  That'll be $20 in my pocket!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
We've moved a couple of times over the past five years, so we've managed to trim way back. But, I still sold $2300 worth of stuff in 2017. I'm hoping to continue in 2018!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
I'm with ya and have been going slow but steady.  While running ethernet cable in our attic, I found an old fireman's helmet that was in the house when we bought it in 1992.  Into Craigslist for $10.  I was bringing the kids to lunch anyways and met a buyer at the pizza shop.  $10 in my pocket.  We have dumpster loads of crap to get rid of and I have to sneak it out.  Who needs a bunch of plastic letters for babies when our youngest is 17.  That crap gets sneaked into a bag as I'm heading to the recycling center to dump into the plastics bin. 

My older son has been helping, selling off old legos.  He's Mr. Research so gets good money.  Also selling Magic, the gathering cards and yu-gi-oh! cards.  To my surprise, old Brio stuff that costs big dollars is pretty much worthless. 

I will persist. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
Sold a kids hoodie (never worn) for $6 through our local Facebook site today. Woohoo!

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
I've been cutting down a lot for several years, but some valuable items still to go. My aim is to sell at least $2000 worth of stuff in 2018. First ebay auction on a bike part is about to expire, first bid in at $10, woo!

I'll try put something else up tonight

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »
I've been cutting down a lot for several years, but some valuable items still to go. My aim is to sell at least $2000 worth of stuff in 2018. First ebay auction on a bike part is about to expire, first bid in at $10, woo!

I'll try put something else up tonight

YASSSSSSSSSSS I love it! I'm hoping to sell in the neighborhood of $1700 more myself :) $125 made today after selling more wool cloth diaper covers

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »
Paring down is always a good idea. Me and the hubs became nomadic this summer (retired and hit the road to travel internationally) and before we gave up our apartment lease we pretty much sold off everything. Only netted about $1500 (a lot of our stuff was bought used to begin with) and got it all down to about 9 Rubbermaid tubs (for stuff like the backpacks and sleeping bags, some favorite tools, a few best kitchen pieces that we take from one short-term rental to another). Woohoo!

So freeing! Good on you newgirl...and best of luck with AP and his stuff!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 02:19:35 PM »
Another $10 bucks in my pocket for a truly random piece of crap... one of the mama in a FB group I belong to was asking if they make bubble wrap for newly mobile babies. WELL just so happens we have one of those soft infant helmets sitting in its box in the closet. I bought it thinking it was a hard helmet for bike trailer rides and never bothered to return it. I know, I know. But HEY it's gone now! I think I only bought it for about $15 originally.

Good inspiration to tackle the baby crap storage unit this weekend!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 02:49:45 AM »
Yes- I have quite a few things (like 30+) items I need to sell from our move yet 2 years ago. Items that are harder to sell . I have had on CL with no luck because some is expensive glass wear and a china set and some furniture but I need to get this stuff out of the house. I even tried bulk selling the glass stuff on the cheap (crystal, ruby glass etc..) stuff from my moms passing to no prevail.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 05:00:11 AM »
I'm in. Just sold my 2 DD american girl dolls and the associated junk that went with it. It was inspiring to me to get rid of that so now I am on a roll to de-junk the house!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Selling ALL our crap in 2018... anyone want to join?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 06:00:50 AM »
I have sold stuff on EBay for years. Make sure you take advantage of the Post Office's free shipping supplies. Some of my favorites are the bubble mailer and legal priority flat rage envelope and priority flat rate envelope. Others that are great are the Regional boxes A and B. Both of those come in different configurations. The envelopes are so great because you can put up to 70 lbs into them. I have never mailed anything that heavy but maybe 10 to 15 lbs. My Hub has tools and sometimes we will put together a hodge podge screwdriver set together and then I will vac pack them to the exact size of the envelope. I will usually put some kind of padding in like newspaper too. Works beautiful and very cost efficient! Regional boxes are very cost efficient too. When you check out pricing on EBay, see what reginal boxes ship for. I have also shipped some clothing in the envelopes. Sometimes I vac pack them too. Sucking all the air out reduces the size considerably. The bubble envelope is less rigid so you can stuff a lot into it. I have slid them over certain boxes too to give more protection to the item inside and taking advantage of the low cost of the bubble envelope. Another thing you might consider buying is very large poly bags. They are mega light weight and you can cover large boxes with them or stuff them with clothes. Sometimes I have had odd ball crap that didn't fit in any box so I took two poly bags and put one on each end then taped them all together. You can get the poly bags from sellers on EBay too. Another trick is to take two NON FLAT RATE boxes (If the item is too large for one box) and stuff the item into one end then put the other box over the other end and tape them all together. This will let you build you own box size for long items. Just be sure to use regular shipping boxes and NOT FLAT RATE. They will not allow that. One last thing, if you can schedule your Post Office to pick up your packages at your house so you never have to go out! Just pay for your postage on EBay then schedule a pick up. I usually leave a bag with packages on my doorknob at my back door/driveway for them to pick up. I also buy the clear shipping tape thru Costco. You get something like 8 rolls and it is thick and not the flimsy thin crap. I have not sold anything for about 6 months. Got burned out but now is the time to start up again! Have not tried to sell stuff on craigslist, have heard too many scary stories of bad people coming to your house. I know a guy who will meet buyers in a grocery store parking lot and not his house.  Good luck to all of you!

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 06:10:03 AM »
Hi from Germany !

I am in!!!!!! I decluttered heavily Last year but got lazy and donated all of it. I want to try to sell the remainig things because this is the year of saving to Upgrade our House.

Katja

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 07:12:45 PM »
SOLD - a couple more of DD's far too expensive hoodies and tees (I have a weakness for handmade stuff, had to leave all the FB groups and take my debit card off my PayPal). $40 more in my pocket! Going to list the sewing machine on Craigslist tomorrow. Don't want to ship that. In the future I might take up sewing again but the reality right now is I have nowhere to set it up. Hoping to get maybe $60 bucks for it.

Great seeing everyone getting on board!! :) Depending on what you think your post FIRE expenses will be, remember that selling somewhere between $1500 - $2500 worth of stuff and then investing the money buys you ONE WHOLE DAY of freedom from mandatory paid work, forever :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 07:58:59 PM »
Have a bunch of stuff listed on eBay, and have three with bids. Getting rid of stuff, for money. Woop!

Lila8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »
I usually go the lazy route of "declutter + donate for tax benefit" but this year selling this stuff sounds like a better idea.

Maternity wear, worn-once baby clothes, barely looked-at baby gear, appliances that seemed like a good idea at the time... too much stuff.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:33:53 PM by Lila8 »

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
I'm going to be donating books to the friends' sale at the public library regularly. Also, I've got some stuff I want to sell--travel bags that didn't work out, for e.g.

For those who may not know: There are a lot of "interest groups" on Facebook (e.g., scrapbooking, rubber stamping) that will allow you to either trade or sell your unused stuff. The best part? No fees like on ebay or etsy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »
Sold 4 items on eBay. Only made $5, but gets them out of my house!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
All right guys!! First tangible victory! All the crap I sold in December and January allowed me to funnel an extra $672 to debt payment, resulting in the payoff of CC#1 3 months earlier than plan!

Now everything gets thrown at CC#2, and I have a goal for myself on a separate thread to find something to sell every single day for the remainder of the month!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
All right guys!! First tangible victory! All the crap I sold in December and January allowed me to funnel an extra $672 to debt payment, resulting in the payoff of CC#1 3 months earlier than plan!

Now everything gets thrown at CC#2, and I have a goal for myself on a separate thread to find something to sell every single day for the remainder of the month!

That is awesome! Congrats.

I sold & mailed two more items (made $30ish). I will transfer that money straight to the kids college accounts.

HamMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
I had a pretty good 2017 selling junk around the house. I was feeling tempted to splurge on an expensive device for one of my hobbies (about $2000) when I realized how much old hobby stuff I wasn't using anymore. Here's a few highlights:

- 9" metalworking lathe (I already have a nicer 10") = $200
- Portable fishfinder (what was I thinking?) = $100
- Kayak (hasn't been used for years) = $250
- Child size bass guitar = $80
- Scrap car in the driveway = $300

Plus a couple dozen smaller, less exciting items. In the end I had close to $1500 and decided it was close enough. Got my new hobby gear without destroying my finances and decluttered at the same time. Felt like a win-win to me!
I sold nearly everything locally using an app called "Varage Sale" with no fees; Kijiji isn't very popular in my town.
Only problem now is I've run out of the obvious big ticket items so it's hard to keep going with this method.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
Check the link in my signature for selling things on Amazon.

nosythecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »
I am trying to declutter and atone for my overspending of 2017 and thus pay off my credit cards which is my big goal for 2018.

Sold so far, Bowflex M5 Max Trainer, random exercise equipment, and extra computer.  Money made so far, $895

Still have to sell 2 office chairs, Samsung Tab, 2 queen size mattresses, and other random things that clutter my storage unit and small apartment.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 03:11:25 AM »
@mustachepungoeshere you should direct your friends who just moved to this thread....

Nicely done, though it is interesting a kayak is almost worth more than a car...

We do have a thing against cars on this forum though... so I guess if they can depreciate down to $300 then it kinda proves MMM's point.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 03:20:22 AM »
@mustachepungoeshere you should direct your friends who just moved to this thread....

I should have directed them to this thread a month ago!

Then I wouldn't have spent an entire day helping them move house only for piles of boxes and a dozen pieces of furniture to be stashed in the garage of the new house because "oh, we need to get rid of that". >.<

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 04:22:19 AM »

Nicely done, though it is interesting a kayak is almost worth more than a car...

We do have a thing against cars on this forum though... so I guess if they can depreciate down to $300 then it kinda proves MMM's point.

HamMan appears to live in Georgina, Ontario, which is cottage country. Lake Simcoe is there, and it’s a popular area for Torontonians to own cottages/lake houses. Not surprised the kayak went for that amount since it would beat buying a kayak and then lugging it all the way up then highway on the top of your car.

HamMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

HamMan appears to live in Georgina, Ontario, which is cottage country. Lake Simcoe is there, and it’s a popular area for Torontonians to own cottages/lake houses. Not surprised the kayak went for that amount since it would beat buying a kayak and then lugging it all the way up then highway on the top of your car.

I do live in Georgina, though most of my neighbors commute to Toronto every day (about an hour). The guy who bought the kayak actually drove up from the city to get it and took it home on the roof of his car.

And that old car didn't owe me a cent. It was an '05 Hyundai Accent, my first car. Bought at <1 year old from a repo lot for $7000 (it had depreciated over 50% in <1 year). Then a few years later we had a $4500 insurance payout for cosmetic hail damage. Drove it for over 10 years, 240000km, including towing a small trailer a few thousand km's. Then the transmission exploded. I planned to repair it but my wife and I were managing fine with just her car. After a few months rust overtook the brakes, alternator and starter and it wasn't viable to repair, so $300 scrap value seemed pretty good. I bet it would be a contender for the lowest cost of ownership car ever (at least on this forum).

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »
Nice job!