Author Topic: Scroll Free September  (Read 1671 times)

Tass

• Magnum Stache
Scroll Free September
« on: August 27, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
This BBC article details the public health effort in the UK: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44980893

In short: can you quit social media cold turkey for a month? (Or if you must check in, can you drastically restrict your access to it?)

For me, the main culprits are facebook, tumblr, and this forum. I've quit for a week before; I'm hoping a longer break will help me figure out what a healthy middle ground looks like, because after one week I jump right back into it.

I still intend to use texting/messaging apps. Facebook Messenger Lite is allowed - I don't have the FB app, so it can't lead to scrolling. And I'm not going to quit Snapchat, simply because I don't use it much, and when I do it's not as social media. It's just an easier way to send pictures than SMS. Basically, I'm allowed to directly message specific people; I'm not allowed to scroll through something without intention.

Starting a thread on this may be counterproductive, since my goal is not to post or read here for the month of September. But if there's interest I'd love to hear your reflections at the end, so feel free to PTF now. What are your online vices?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:13:57 PM by Tass »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Scroll Free September
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
that's fine, potions are better than scrolls anyways

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
Yeah I've struggled with this greatly, but recently I've drastically reduced my social media time. Here's how I did it (it's hard to rely solely on self control)

On my computer, I use StayFocused (free Chrome app) which will block sites like Facebook and Reddit after 60 seconds each day (just enough to check notifications/messages). You can set the time limit to whatever.

On my phone, I deleted the Facebook and Reddit apps. But I was still just using the browser to access them. So I actually put basically parental restrictions on the phone, restricting "adult content" and blocking FB and Reddit. So I literally can't access them on my phone, without going into settings and deleting the restriction.

Also, one of the main things I used/use Facebook for is finding events in my area. I have no problem with continuing this as it's really the best way I've found to browse events. Luckily, there's now a "Facebook Local" app which is pretty much JUST events and restaurants and no social aspect.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »
I've successfully stopped using social media on my phone - no apps, logged out of browsers - but I've struggled with StayFocused in the past. It's easy to go cold turkey, but once I have a little bit of online time I want a little more - and it's not hard to disable or get around the extension.

I suspect time-of-day restrictions about internet use are going to be most effective for me, but I think I will be able to be more honest about when those times should be when I've quit fully for a while first.

I may also do an unfollow spree before I leave so there's less to see when I get back.

that's fine, potions are better than scrolls anyways

Surely a scroll is the best way to record the recipe for a potion?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »
If you are reading this, you failed

Unless your font is very small, or your screen is very tall

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 10:04:57 PM »
I am repeating this effort in 2019; I enjoyed the month very much last year. This year, I will be quitting all screen-based entertainment that won't directly impact relationship (i.e. keeping texting and skype). I'll track the difference in computer use with RescueTime. Anyone else?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »
Great idea @Tass

I read both Deep Work & Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport this year and have been motivated to reduce time on screens.

Haven't checked FB for all of August, and feel pretty well convinced I don't need it-- and just recently re-installed IG on my phone after a 3 week hiatus (I use no other social media apps..and I do read some news on my phone but rarely browse the internet)
Cut down my time on the forum and trying to be more careful/conscious about how I spend time in general.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!