Author Topic: Screenfree Sundays  (Read 3361 times)

BookLoverL

• Bristles
Screenfree Sundays
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »
So, I don't know about anyone else, but I struggle sometimes with spending too much time online. I have all sorts of ideas for things I could do, and then I end up spending hours reading blogs or fanfic or watching YouTube videos or something else fun but ultimately empty and unsatisfying. So the last few Sundays, I've made an effort not to turn a single screen on all day, and it's really helped me make some space to get other things done that I want or need to do.

Here's the rules I decided to do it by:
1) No computer, no laptop, no smartphone, no tablet, no TV, no eReader. No screens at all. (Not all of these are a problem for me in the first place, but it's important not just to replace one bad screen use habit with a different one.) Not for anything at all. Not even just to check it for five minutes.
2) If a friend or family member forced you to look at a screen briefly, such as waving it in front of your face or putting it on at the table while you were eating your family dinner, you haven't failed the challenge as long as you stop looking at it as soon as possible.
3) If there's something really amazing happening on a screen that week on Sunday, you are permitted to swap it for a different day or go screenfree for 2 days the next week to make up for it (say, have a screenfree Saturday or Monday or whatever), as long as it's still a full day.

I'm planning to do this every Sunday from now on.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
Re: Screenfree Sundays
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:11:00 PM »
I might give this a try!  With the exception of my Kindle.  I use this exclusively for book reading and it is not connected to the internet. 

I have been tracking how many times I open social media applications, but this might be a fun new level to the challenge.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
I like this idea!  I will probably allow the use of Habitica, since I use that to track my to-do list, and I get off-track on my chores without the reminder to check them off, but I will try to join in otherwise.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:35:50 AM »
Successfully did this yesterday despite visiting my BF for the weekend, who I have often spent a lot of time watching Netflix with.

CyanoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »
This sounds like a fantastic idea! I've noticed the amount of time I spend on my computer creeping up on me; I think some days I spend more time on the computer than on anything else combined. Sundays are usually my meal prep days, so having 'Screenfree Sundays' would probably help me focus on getting all of the prep work done AND clean up afterwards. I'll just have to make sure any new recipes I want to try are printed off/written down before Sunday. I'm definitely doing this coming Sunday.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
Failed miserably this weekend because I forgot.  Putting it on my calendar this time so I can try again.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 01:19:32 PM »
Failed miserably this weekend because I forgot.  Putting it on my calendar this time so I can try again.

Is your calendar on a device with a screen?...lol

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »

Is your calendar on a device with a screen?...lol

Yes, which is why I put the reminder on Saturday night!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »
Great idea OP, will try this once back in my routine. It's something I struggle with. Thanks for posting this.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
Tomorrow's Sunday, so I'm going to be doing this then. Let's see how much other stuff I get done, since I'm not meeting up with anyone this week. :)

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 01:08:50 AM »
Another successful attempt. :) Got several chores done, read a book, read the first chapter of another book that was in German (slowed down by me having to check the dictionary once every sentence), went for a walk, organised some clutter ready to take it to the charity shop...

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 02:11:45 AM »
I think I would benefit from doing this. Have a few down-time things I want to start scheduling properly, I think I'll add in screenfree Sundays a few times a month as well. Great idea.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40:04 AM »
Mostly successful for me.  I did have to turn on the computer once to check a recipe, since I keep my recipes in text files instead of a recipe book, but I wrote down what I needed and shut it down again right away.  Other than that, I finished a book that's been taking forever, called both my parents, did some cooking, had a long chat with my DH, and got started on wedding thank-you notes.  A pretty good day all told.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
It's Saturday evening again, which means this is tomorrow! Good luck, everyone. :)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
We did this last week and it worked out great.  It was a little challenging to keep the kids entertained all day, but the upshot was more outdoor time and more exercise for the whole family.  We'll be doing it again tomorrow.  Thanks for the idea, @BookLoverL !

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 12:41:23 AM »
Great work, everyone who's doing this so far! It went well for me again yesterday - I learnt how to sew up holes in my clothes, and proceeded to sew up holes in about four of my favourite t-shirts and two of my pairs of trousers.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 12:57:26 AM »
Good going everyone!
Just booked an all-day kayaking/snorkeling trip through Meetup for next Sunday, hopefully should be able to stay screen-free -

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 02:07:14 AM »
Was relatively easy to stay screenfree this Sunday, as I was out most of the day. And next weekend I'll be in a field on my annual camping trip...

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 06:43:21 AM »
Actually having written this in my diary for two weeks in a row, this weekend I almost managed it. Sort of. Definitely something to work on and I was surprised at how difficult I found it. Have developed a bad lie in bed watching netflix on my phone habit over the last few months.

So, yesterday I did look at my phone a few times (I think maybe five so it was probably seven or eight times) during the day but cleared whatever notifications had come in without going and checking the actual emails/messages. Did look at whatsapp once but hey, my sister was sending pictures of her very cute five-month old twins. And one email was work-related and needed to be responded to immediately so I logged on to my laptop to do that. And had to actually work for an hour or two later in the day as I hadn't quite finished as much as I wanted to on Saturday (side-gig work and will make my life this week a bit easier to be still on schedule).

I spent a lot of time reading but as my current book is on the Kindle, that was technically screentime, too. I'm reading less and less on the Kindle though so this should change over the coming months anyway.

I may need to work for an hour or two next Sunday but otherwise I have it in the diary again and will see how it goes.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 03:21:34 AM »

So, yesterday I did look at my phone a few times (I think maybe five so it was probably seven or eight times) during the day but cleared whatever notifications had come in without going and checking the actual emails/messages. <...> And one email was work-related and needed to be responded to immediately so I logged on to my laptop to do that. And had to actually work for an hour or two later in the day as I hadn't quite finished as much as I wanted to on Saturday (side-gig work and will make my life this week a bit easier to be still on schedule).

A bad habit, receiving and reading work emails on your phone and working in the evening.

I would like to use less screen time during my free time. With screen I mean TV, iPad and laptop. I have a Kindle Paperwhite for reading, which is relaxing.

I think my DH also has too much screen time. Any suggestions on how to motivate your spouse on buying into the challenge? Downloading an app that counts your screentime on your devices?

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »

So, yesterday I did look at my phone a few times (I think maybe five so it was probably seven or eight times) during the day but cleared whatever notifications had come in without going and checking the actual emails/messages. <...> And one email was work-related and needed to be responded to immediately so I logged on to my laptop to do that. And had to actually work for an hour or two later in the day as I hadn't quite finished as much as I wanted to on Saturday (side-gig work and will make my life this week a bit easier to be still on schedule).

A bad habit, receiving and reading work emails on your phone and working in the evening.

Well, I don't think my day-job employer would take to kindly to me receiving and reading sidegig emails while I'm supposed to be working for them, so I kind of have to do it in the evenings and on the weekends. Perhaps don't be so quick to judge.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:09 AM »

Well, I don't think my day-job employer would take to kindly to me receiving and reading sidegig emails while I'm supposed to be working for them, so I kind of have to do it in the evenings and on the weekends. Perhaps don't be so quick to judge.

I think it depends on what style of work you do as to whether it's wise. If your employer for your main job is pressuring you to work evenings and weekends in addition to a full week, it's definitely bad. But if you've got a side gig, it can make sense. I think the important thing is to make sure you're still getting the time to yourself that you need, and not to let the work email checking pull you in to checking a bunch of other things too, and possibly seeing if you can narrow down the window where you're "allowed" to check the work emails so that the weekend still ends up being mostly work-email-free.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »

I think it depends on what style of work you do as to whether it's wise. If your employer for your main job is pressuring you to work evenings and weekends in addition to a full week, it's definitely bad. But if you've got a side gig, it can make sense. I think the important thing is to make sure you're still getting the time to yourself that you need, and not to let the work email checking pull you in to checking a bunch of other things too, and possibly seeing if you can narrow down the window where you're "allowed" to check the work emails so that the weekend still ends up being mostly work-email-free.
Not sure if this is just a general point (as a general point, I do agree with you) or directed specifically at me. For the avoidance of confusion and as already mentioned, this was sidegig work. As I work full-time, I cannot do sidegig work during the standard working day (Mon.-Fri. 8:00-17:00). Well, sometimes I can reply to an email or do some work during lunchtime but I try not to do that as I prefer to actually get a proper break in the middle of the day. Otherwise evenings and weekends are my working time for my sidegig (translation). And in August I translate a big annual report so I accept that it is going to be very busy. Still proud of myself for having a mostly screenfree Sunday.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »

Not sure if this is just a general point (as a general point, I do agree with you) or directed specifically at me. For the avoidance of confusion and as already mentioned, this was sidegig work. As I work full-time, I cannot do sidegig work during the standard working day (Mon.-Fri. 8:00-17:00). Well, sometimes I can reply to an email or do some work during lunchtime but I try not to do that as I prefer to actually get a proper break in the middle of the day. Otherwise evenings and weekends are my working time for my sidegig (translation). And in August I translate a big annual report so I accept that it is going to be very busy. Still proud of myself for having a mostly screenfree Sunday.

Yes, I understand that you are referring to side gig work, and it's good that you managed to be screenfree otherwise. :) I like to write my posts with awareness that the rest of the forum might be reading them too, so, yes, the part about non-side-gig employment was a general point.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
It's Sunday again tomorrow, people! Good luck with staying screenfree! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!