Author Topic: Run, Tubby-Tubby, run!  (Read 37329 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Run, Tubby-Tubby, run!
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »
Why does your form say donations 6 - 16 April when it is May?

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2018, 10:46:52 AM »
$30 bucks to Harvest of Hope!

So I wonder about your feelings on this project Sam.  Do you feel more or less pressure now that we are all watching you?  Do you feel positive about this experience thus far, or do we add more stress?

I love this idea but am wondering if we aren't making it worse for you with all the PRESSURE.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »

So I wonder about your feelings on this project Sam.  Do you feel more or less pressure now that we are all watching you?  Do you feel positive about this experience thus far, or do we add more stress?

I love this idea but am wondering if we aren't making it worse for you with all the PRESSURE.

Having people watching my progress feels fine. I've come to terms with the fact that the full project is going to take 18-24 months. Having some company along the way, even if it's only for the first hard slog, is good. Plus, I have a much different attitude about this round of weight loss than I have previously. Yes, I want to keep my job in a wicked bad way, but mostly I want to see what my body looks like when my weight matches my frame. I've never seen that, and I bet I'll look damn good!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »

Having people watching my progress feels fine. I've come to terms with the fact that the full project is going to take 18-24 months. Having some company along the way, even if it's only for the first hard slog, is good. Plus, I have a much different attitude about this round of weight loss than I have previously. Yes, I want to keep my job in a wicked bad way, but mostly I want to see what my body looks like when my weight matches my frame. I've never seen that, and I bet I'll look damn good!

I was wondering about CSW's question as well -- glad to hear that it's OK. If there's another way we can be supportive, you'll let us know, right?

I also bet you'll look pretty awesome, and also think you'll enjoy living in that body even more, especially as you get older.  I mean, look at CSW and her 100-mile bike rides'n'shit!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2018, 10:50:12 PM »

*Looks at Sam's avatar. Looks at own avatar.

You look fine from here Sir.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2018, 10:55:58 PM »

I miss the anglerfish.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2018, 06:34:36 AM »

I miss the anglerfish.

All for you, @okits.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »
Update 4:
Time Mark 0 Weight: 184.0lbs  (84.3kg)
Time Mark 1 Weight: 181.2lbs  (82.1kg)
Time Mark 2 Weight: 181.0lbs  (82.1kg)
Time Mark 3 Weight: 177.8lbs  (80.6kg)
Time mark 4 Weight: 178.6lbs  (81.0kg)

Time Mark 0 Body Fat:  42.0%  (calculated)
Time Mark 1 Body Fat:  47.7%  (bioimpedance)
Time Mark 2 Body Fat:  46.6%  (bioimpedance)
Time Mark 3 Body Fat:  44.6%  (bioimpedance)
Time Mark 4 Body Fat:  46.3%  (bioimpedance)

Weight loss this period:     0 lbs (0kg)
Cumulative weight lost:      6.2 lbs  (2.8kg)
Days w/in 15% kcal this period: 7

Donations for Update 4:
Calorie goal = 7*2 = $14
Weight loss = 0*10 = $0
Donations this period: $14

Matching Donations To: N/A
Since the amount is small, I'm going to hold the donation until next check in. The wheels on the bus go round and round.  The weight on the Sam goes up and down.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2018, 06:55:21 AM »

I miss the anglerfish.

All for you, @okits.

Yay!  Happy. :)

Hope you are not discouraged by the non-linear progress.  The fluctuation is so small that one significant visit to the washroom could account for it all.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
YAY

The anglerfish is back =)

Man I'm gonna have soooo much charity garden time to put in. Probably a good thing.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »
Hope you are not discouraged by the non-linear progress.  The fluctuation is so small that one significant visit to the washroom could account for it all.

I would definitely prefer the scale to show 1/7th of a lb lower each and every morning, but I'm resigned to the non-existence of my preference.

Alas, this uptick is from taking my eye off the prize, and debauching myself like a motherfucker over the weekend. The recent weigh-ins, while irritating, are a helpful data point in viscerally understanding how long a really good debauch stalls the scale. Something to consider when I reach another critical decision point between staying the course, and stepping off course. The important point seems to be accepting the consequences of being off course without descending into self-flagellation. And of course, getting right back on the wagon.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »
Keep it up/step it up! You'll win this battle in the end...

If you need extra motivation, I bet someone sells punching bags with pictures of certain politicians on them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2018, 10:59:50 PM »
Keep it up/step it up! You'll win this battle in the end...

If you need extra motivation, I bet someone sells punching bags with pictures of certain politicians on them.
Ahem. The mustachian way is to make your own. Not than I know anything about this...Just sayin'.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
Alas, this uptick is from taking my eye off the prize, and debauching myself like a motherfucker over the weekend. The recent weigh-ins, while irritating, are a helpful data point in viscerally understanding how long a really good debauch stalls the scale. Something to consider when I reach another critical decision point between staying the course, and stepping off course. The important point seems to be accepting the consequences of being off course without descending into self-flagellation. And of course, getting right back on the wagon.

You and I (and possibly most people) seem suffer from the same willpower fatigue. I've been adhering to my calorie limit 8/10 days, but boy oh boy, those two days tend to be doosies!

Given the stakes, you'll kick yourself if you give up though. Some very clever person on the forum recommended the book Willpower by Baumeister and Tierney. It provides good strategies, though many will be familiar. If you want to try an out of the box approach, I'd be happy to lend you my dog, who in turn will be happy to eat 2/3 of everything that you put on your plate.

Plz send dog to LCDR The Very Best Officer, USCG, c/o The Very Best Ship.

Actually, I've been pondering the overlap between having a high savings rate, and having a trim waistline. They both require analyzing in-the-moment desires against a long-term goal, the ability to delay gratification, and sometimes the strength to flat out deny yourself. They even share the fact that modern society is antithetical to accomplishing either savings OR having a normal BMI. Too much plastic crap to entertain us; too many empty calories to sooth us.

I'm real good at savings. I'm really shitty at maintaining a normal BMI. Why is one so easy, and the other so difficult. Why does a 10 year timeline to hitting my FI seem perfectly acceptable, while 18 months to goal weight seems like a hopeless eternity? And my truly burning question: How many people who post on MMM about the willful nature of 'consumer sukkas' would be stung by the 'hamplanent' of reddit?

This is all to say; the Willpower book looks interesting, but not revolutionary. I know these techniques. The deeper question seems to be why I'm uneven in applying them. To put it another way, why the fuck am I not Spock?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
This gets me too. I’m FIRE so I should be able to do it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:31 PM »
From an outsider perspective? It's because your lifestyle allows you to automate finances, but you can't get into dietary automation, because that aspect of your life is controlled externally too often. Because the obvious thing is to set stuff up so it doesn't REQUIRE will power, yeah? But you can do that with one domain more easily than the other, given your environment.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:30 PM »
I too suspect that you win in the savings area with relative ease, meaning relatively little "willpower" required (please don't take offense). High income means that only a little restraint is needed for savings success. Your job pays you to play with bigger toys than you could buy, keeps you busy instead of spending, and provides the luxury of purpose and comradeship to occupy your days, taking up bandwidth in the part of your emotions that might otherwise spend bucks. 

The calorie and exercise budgets are not so well covered without willpower. If your job was to lift thousands of pounds of fish out of the water by hand in between hour long bouts of using a bicycle-like human powered bilge pump, while your work mates joined you in friendly competition about eating the most lettuce, you might lose weight with similarly little effort. Instead the food is easy to eat and your job consists of mostly mental work. So your weight loss goals lack automatic infrastructure. Hence the need for willpower or internet friends or what have you.

(One person's instant thoughts.  Willpower above is "x", a plug variable; I know not what it is, other than an internal effort to do things that don't happen easily by themselves.  Not sure if it's a magic ingredient or not.)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2018, 07:52:10 AM »
The deeper question seems to be why I'm uneven in applying them. To put it another way, why the fuck am I not Spock?

This. This is my daily angst. I have no solutions to offer, but know that you're not alone.

I said a similar thing (in different words) in my EAP this week. You're definitely not alone.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
I have always found the parallels between Weight Watchers and financial planning to be astonishing.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
Wow -- what a great question!

I kinda concur with Bicycle_B -- the more you can automate stuff so you don't have to make decisions on the regular, the easier it is.  But that's tricky to do with food and exercise, at least until you get into a (desirable) rut. Could you just make a policy decision that you'll have oatmeal with fruit (or a hard-boiled egg with fruit, or an egg + vegetable) for breakfast and a salad-thing for lunch, and then you only have to make a decision at dinnertime? Because the less you have to make decisions all the damn time, the easier it is to make good ones. (Also, if you make the decision to eat 6+ veg servings/day that may displace some other junk.) This is probably a situation where boring = good.

However, I say this as someone who (1) likes salad, and (2) has to exercise pretty regularly for mood regulation purposes. I'm a blazing bitch if I have to go too many days without 40+ minutes of cardio or 12+ minute of max-intensity HIIT or 1-2 hours of walking, minimum. I don't even like being around myself on those days.

There are days when I remember that I am, for instance, doing pull-ups and pushups (that I don't care to do in the moment) as a present to future me, because she will enjoy being strong. This is more or less the same thought process I go through when I'm considering a purchase: which would future me rather have -- the object, or the cash? (Although, interesting: I do the aforementioned pull-and-push ups on MWF, and I just realized that I haven't had to motivate them in a while: I just do them those days. Guess I've reached automatic!)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2018, 03:41:51 AM »
WHAT IS HAPPENING????

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
I'm back on land, and reunited with weighing platforms that rest on stable flooring. I'm not actually going to tell you the results. Be confident that 'bad' is a perfect summary of the current situation. One might even extend the results into 'crushing shame.'

I haven't given up. Back on the old horse, rolling along the old wagon. A day and a half back in control of my choices, and I've already fallen into the groove with healthy food and maintaining a deficit. The ship, though. The ship is going to be a problem. I'm going to need far better systems in place come August.

No idea what those systems will look like, though. Healthy eating is challenging enough, even without thinking of losing weight. Food aboard ships is a system that is definitely rigged to disadvantage. I tell you true, I might end up existing on Soylent and dinner.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »
I can definitely understand why the ship is a tough environment. Lots of stress, little sleep, little if any opportunity to exercise. HARD!!! If you are looking for help you share what is typically available and we could brainstorm a meal plan with you. Soylent + Dinner does not sound terrible under the circumstances.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
What charity does this period of shame belong to? (Or what type of charity)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »
Oof :-(  Sorry, Sam. Sometimes our best efforts aren't enough, but all you can do is keep trying.

I have many discouraging stories of failed weight loss efforts, but probably counterproductive to share. Suffice it to say that it's not just you who has been here, done this.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2018, 03:37:19 PM »
You are just having a temporary setback. There’s still plenty of time. But you need to use it and find something that works for you.

There are several options.

Firstly, crash diets do work for short periods. Have you heard of Dr Michael Mosley? He has made a lot of TV series about diet and exercise and fitness with the BBC. There are a number of books that have been written from the series - including about the 5:2 and 12/14hour fasting diets. Our national TV channel gets many of the BBC stuff, and his series are always popular, especially as they are full of scientific explanations for what’s happening.

One series that was on here recently was about crash diets. He teamed up with people who needed to lose a certain amount of weight in short time periods, and experimented with various crash diets. He divided the time periods into three but I can’t remember exactly what they were - let’s say 2 weeks, a month and six weeks. People were given crash diets that were appropriate for the different time periods and they were losing weight on the diets in those timeframes. Perhaps you could use your shore time for a crash diet, and leave your boat time for whatever happens. This isn’t ideal, but you love your career.

Secondly, what is it about boat time that’s causing you to put on weight? Do you have a lot of snacks? A lot of fizzy drinks? Generally speaking, it won’t just be the meals. See whether there are ways you can combat this.

As you know I’m trying to lose weight too, but every few weeks I need to visit my parents for a week, and there goes the diet. So I’m seesawing, but it’s gradually happening. I’m counting on the times at home rather than worrying too much about the times with my parents, but, clearly, it’s going to take longer. So it might be an idea to figure out what the swings might be, and adjust the weight loss during shore time to compensate.

Thirdly, you appear to have had a number of functions involving meals lately. Figure them into your weight plan too.

We all know you can do it!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »
[

Matching Donations To: The Trevor Project

Total Donations Made:
I thought it might be fun to post a "Total Donations Made" at the end of the challenge. If you like, you can fill in this Google Forms survey. No user's information is tracked, though I did ask for forum usernames. Feel free to put Anonymous if you prefer.

For the period ending today, I chose the NDP. Because even when outside events are a fucking shit show, we are proud of you for keep on keeping on.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2018, 07:55:10 PM »
And now I just fucked up your spreadsheet because I tallied donations for a few missed periods plus today and put them together.

This is why you give us links.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
If you are looking for help you share what is typically available and we could brainstorm a meal plan with you.

Schedule
0300: Wake up
0400 - 0800: First bridge watch
0800 - 0830: breakfast
0830 - 1130: Admin work
1130 - 1200: lunch
1200 - 1400: Daily meetings & Admin work
1400 - 1530: Nap
1600 - 2000: Second bridge watch
2000 - 2200: dinner, final admin, exercise?, wind down
2200 - 0300: lights out

Food:
Mid-Rat: Sandwich fixings are avaliable, but I usually bring something of my own. Trail mix, clif bar, ect.

Breakfast: There's always eggs any way you please, bacon/sausage, oatmeal, cold cereal w/ milk, fruit. Plus some sort of 'second selection', like hash, biscuits & gravy, waffles. The second selection rotates each day.

Lunch: Usually 2 meat selections, one vegetable, rice/potatoes for the carb. Occasionally it will be sandwiches instead - tuna melt, grilled cheese, ruben, pulled pork etc, served with chips. Tuesdays are tacos. Religiously, tacos, else chaos and mutiny.

Dinner: Usually 1 meat selection, one fish selection, one vegetable, rice/potatoes again. Occasionally it will be a pasta dish (which I won't eat for fear of being milk poisoned, plus I don't particularly like pasta). Any left over salad is avaliable. Ice cream or cake.

Meal components are always presented individually, unless the selection is sandwiches or a baked pasta dish. There are no casseroles. There are vegetables, but there are no cohesive vegetarian meals. Tofu, seitan, tempe, lentils, and mushrooms do not and shall not exist aboard. I'm honestly not sure if I've ever seen a bean...

Vegetables are bog standard american things - peas, carrots, peas n' carrots, corn*, asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans, brussell sprouts. Generally roasted in oil, sometimes steamed, sometimes in sauce.

Meat is pretty standard selections. Chicken and turkey are almost exclusively served in gravy or sauce. Steak and pork are usually served without sauce.

Salad is iceberg lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion, bell pepper. It usually runs out between day 8 and 10.

Bread, peanut butter, jelly, and cereal are always avaliable. There's also a snack basket, with candy, crackers, cookies, pop tarts, etc.

The only things I drink are water and black coffee. It's the one food related category where I naturally self-regulate.

Suggestions?

*I know it's not a vegetable, and you know it's not a vegetable, but according to the SOP for culinary guidance, corn is a vegetable. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »
And now I just fucked up your spreadsheet because I tallied donations for a few missed periods plus today and put them together.

This is why you give us links.

Sigh. Well, we love you anyway.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
I still don't see links. Maybe other people will fuck with the spreadsheet.

Also, please send boats.

Also also, eat breakfast, except on Tuesday, when you should eat tacos. Eat soylent or vega or some crap like that plus veggies or fruit at all other times. No delicious snacks.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
For meals I subscribe to the 4 hour body diet. Meat beans and vegetables no dairy no sugars no breads no flourish. If you really want to shread pounds this does it better than anything I've ever been on.

I'd eat a bunch of eggs at breakfast.

Meat without sauce at lunch leaner is better. Veggies. If they ever have beans eat those. Same with dinner.

If you have to snack peanut butter looks the best of those.

Best about this diet is no counting calories.

Oh and you can and should cheat one day a week. First 5-10 lbs fall away in the first couple weeks goes down to about 3lbs a week from there.

Tim ferris developed it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »
Perhaps I misread, but I get the impression that on sauce-meat days, they come as a unit. Not sauce + meat as options, but sauce IN meat. Makes it far more difficult.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2018, 10:19:33 PM »
If this were me:

Oatmeal/cereal + fruit + dash of milk OR egg + toast for breakfast most days, depending on whether early carbs or early protein/fat does better for you.

Lunch and dinner: Get at least half your plate in veg. Is the veg usually seasoned with anything other than oil? If not, GREAT. Bring some spices with you, and season your veg yourself. That way you can get some variety in if that makes it easier.

Are the plates huge? If so, maybe bring your own smaller plate and use that (if you have the facilities to bring it/wash it easily)?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2018, 08:13:05 AM »
Oof! That sleep schedule. That's gotta f-up the metabolism.

Yay for only drinking water and coffee. Good start.

How much soylent suffering can you stand? 1 meal per day? 2 per day? For me personally, I don't care about breakfast, so I could do soylent then and not get tired of it. It's probably the best choice for mid-rat as well if that's practical. For lunch and dinner - protein + lots of veg. Eat that iceberg lettuce while it lasts.

I feel for your dilemma. You can't really exercise, you can't sleep decently, you can't eat all that well and yet the military demands you lose weight. Like @deborah suggests, you may need to be hard core on land and just try to hold the line while at sea.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
Emergency tuna pouches? You can even get them with flavors now. That, and canned sardines with hot sauce packets, make great emergency low carb travel food, and I assume would apply here to. Downside: people will hate your smell. Upside: you're scary, so they probably won't say anything =)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2018, 03:18:20 PM »
Oof! That sleep schedule. That's gotta f-up the metabolism.

I was wondering about that . . . Any chance of going to sleep earlier than the 2200 lights out?  I see that the time before that is for "wind down."  Maybe wind all the way down and crash?  I've had a couple jobs that required super early hours (like 3 or 4 am) and I managed by shifting my sleep hours earlier.

Cheering you on, Sailor Sam.    :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »
Emergency tuna pouches? You can even get them with flavors now. That, and canned sardines with hot sauce packets, make great emergency low carb travel food, and I assume would apply here to. Downside: people will hate your smell. Upside: you're scary, so they probably won't say anything =)

Reminder: Sam is not a kitty.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »

Reminder: Sam is not a kitty.

My husband is not a kitty, either, but he primarily subsists on sardines during busy work times. Especially night shifts.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
Indeed. The lean meat and veg idea is the obvious default for healthy shipboard diet. I've attended many Safety Sunday meeting, reminding me of this advice. Hell, I've run Safety Sunday meetings reminding my underfuckers that lean meats and veg is the way to stay healthy shipboard. Despite this my approach towards lean means and veg is analogous to the non-mustachian who knows he really should stick to a budget. We all know how that goes.

I think the key might be deciding what meat n' veg combinations are easy for me to stick to, and what should be avoided. I don't generally overeat on the steak and asparagus days, but tater tot day is ugly carnage. Meals that can't be self regulated can simply be avoided via Soylent, or emergency fish over stupid, pointless iceberg lettuce.

I'll need some sort of carb intake, though. I've mostly enjoyed (in a type II fun kind of way) my experiments with ketosis, but it's not viable metabolic state on ship. And I'll have to walk the line of spurning the galley's offerings. Having the second in command routinely shunning the galley food is the fast track to really shitty moral.

The real bummer is that I have to pay for 3 meals a day, no matter what I actually consume. Imma very quickly find myself in the unenviable position of double paying for my meals. Though, I guess balking is the very definition of penny wise and pound foolish.*

*did you see what I did there? DID YOU SEE?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
Based on your description, weight loss underway without losing health is difficult but doable.

Agree with the idea that maybe losing a bit more onshore would be a good move, take some pressure off the shipboard months. But some progress each month probably needed to preserve career. Continuing respectful but strong disagreement with use of soylent.

Based on the meal plan described, how about:

Mid-rat - Nothing! Train the body, save $, go hardcore. (If this won't work, find a trail mix serving equal to one clif bar.  Have one serving of the thing of your choice.)

Breakfast - fruit, oatmeal serving, egg serving.  Special days (1 or 2 per week) substitute sausage for egg. 

Lunch - 2 vegetable portions, 1 meat portion, no carb. On Tuesday, eat tacos (few enough to assuage a Catholic's guilt).

Dinner - vegetable, fish, salad. If no salad, 2d portion of vegetable.

ETA - ah, keeping cooks happy is important for command. Still, I support avoiding tater tots. Perhaps on selected meals, dinner fish replaced by dinner meat. Note that eating double vegetables partly makes up for some carb skips, as does eating a full meat portion.
Would the bulk of this post (which was written before the post above it) be morale-friendly and just...barely...achievable?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:18:30 PM by Bicycle_B »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »
Easily stored and prepped carbs: sweet potato. Microwave. Butter, cinnamon.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »
Could you get the navies onside by explaining the situation to them, and getting them to help?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2018, 06:00:35 PM »
Update!

One week post ship departure, and I'm at 180.6. This seems accurate, given my previous timeline for shedding extra water weight. This leaves me up 3lbs, which isn't the best ever, but it could have been worse.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »
I can definitely understand why the ship is a tough environment. Lots of stress, little sleep, little if any opportunity to exercise. HARD!!! If you are looking for help you share what is typically available and we could brainstorm a meal plan with you. Soylent + Dinner does not sound terrible under the circumstances.
Plus, not sure how healthy the food is.  My ship time was long ago, and very limited...but the food wasn't awesome.

I aim to make 50-75% of my meals be plants like fruit and vegetables (by volume).  Not sure how possible that is.

Edited to add: read further about your typical fare on board.  Here's what I would do:
Breakfast: protein and carb.  For me, this is eggs & toast, or yogurt and fruit, or eggs and fruit, or oatmeal with peanut butter or nut.  I *need* a carb in the morning (grain) to keep my brain functioning.

Snack: fruit and nuts

Lunch: Salad.  Always a salad.  So for me, that means 75% by volume of what I am eating is vegetables, and not the carby-kind that you sometimes get stuck with in the military.  The other 1/4 is usually fat/ protein - cheese/ meat/ nuts.

Dinner: carb/protein/veg.  So 1/2 or more of my plate is veg, 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein.

You could swap the combo in lunch/ dinner - depending on what you get.  The thing to note is that as far as "carbs" (aka grains, potatoes), I get 2-4 servings a day only. It's REALLY helped maintain my weight.  Plus not eating wheat really eliminates a lot of temptation.

Your veg options don't sound great, but if that's what you've got...but no, I agree, corn not a vegetable.

(note: after having my second kid at 42, I lost the 30 pounds of baby weight that were left, and then I gave up wheat and lost a few more.  I'm down 35 lbs from there.  5'2" in the low 130s.  I used a program to help me get here but the way I eat is just kind of where I ended up.  Funnily enough, it's super close to this new Beachbody eating plan that just came out.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:08:31 PM by mm1970 »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »
Thanks, @mm1970, and everyone else. Solid advice.

178.0 this morning. I'm cautiously pleased. The ship was bad, but I can do better next time and I'm solidly back on the horse.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
178.0 this morning. I'm cautiously pleased.

Woo! That's excellent! (I am incautiously pleased.)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »
178.0 this morning. I'm cautiously pleased.

Woo! That's excellent! (I am incautiously pleased.)

Way to go, SS.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Go Sam go! Even if the ship was bad, you are lower than where you started. No progress is monotonic -- there's always slips and foibles -- and now you're back to it, armed with more information about the ship diet and how it does or doesn't work for you.  I too am incautiously pleased!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
Go go Sam!

I have no further diet advice beyond what others here have given you. My current "lose the baby weight" routine is similar to what's being suggested, so I'm in this with you. If you need to text someone and complain or commiserate.

Question, while on shore are you using your fancypants new bike as your main transportation? Or are you finding other ways to get around?  And what would you find motivating to exercise more? I know it's diet that counts for losing weight but exercise has never hurt anyone in their quest to be leaner. Plus, way easier to dish out pushups when you can do plenty of your own. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!