Author Topic: Review your out of pocket health care expenses for potential FSA reimbursement  (Read 2906 times)

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
For others in the US who have a health care flex spending account/FSA (and haven't used it up for the year yet), be sure to look back at your out of pocket expenses for 2017 and see if there are any you've neglected to submit to your FSA for reimbursement.  I usually use the FSA debit/credit card to pay for my co-pays, rxs, etc., so those expenses are directly paid by the FSA, but occasionally I forget and use my regular credit card.  This morning I went through Mint and discovered about $150 worth of co-pays and the like that I paid for w/ my CC and haven't yet submitted.  Gonna get receipts from my providers and submit them online this week.  "Free" money!

ACyclist

• Bristles
I am very organized about this.  Due to the fact that FSA is a use it or lose it situation, I stay on top of the amounts throughout the year.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
Good for you, ACyclist!  I almost always spend more than my FSA allotment, which tends to make me a little lazy about ensuring each and every eligible expense gets submitted. Trying to get better about it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
We have a lot left in the FSA this year (~$1800), so DH made an appointment to be fitted for hearing aids next week. (He needs them. It's work related, but they've been dragging their feet, so fuck it. We're going to get it done before it gets worse and the adjustment is even more difficult.) We expect them to cost about five grand, so hopefully we can pay $1800 now and the balance after the first of the year, when the next $2500 kicks in. Unfortunately, that will kill the 2018 FSA for the entire the year. Oh, well.