Author Topic: Reduce your environmental impact 2019  (Read 3717 times)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Reduce your environmental impact 2019
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
TRAVEL - There is not really any travel in the plans for 2019 but most of it is done by car.  Although husband is having to take the older kids to a funeral (2 states away) this week and we chose to utilize Amtrak vs him driving. I have to fly 6-10 per year for work, I have been trying to figure out if they would let me drive for at least half of these.

I just pulled up Amtrack and they have a stop near the very remote town that I have to travel to (by plane) the most often.  It would be a LOOONG travel day but it might be worth it, wonder if I can get work to agree?

Much of my job can be done almost anywhere, so my boss is ok with me working on the train. But for the really long travels where I insist on not flying, I do spend some of my own time (and also take some time off mentally). Based on all the measures you have already implemented, my guess is that flying is probably a quite large part of your carbon footprint.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »
TRAVEL - There is not really any travel in the plans for 2019 but most of it is done by car.  Although husband is having to take the older kids to a funeral (2 states away) this week and we chose to utilize Amtrak vs him driving. I have to fly 6-10 per year for work, I have been trying to figure out if they would let me drive for at least half of these.

I just pulled up Amtrack and they have a stop near the very remote town that I have to travel to (by plane) the most often.  It would be a LOOONG travel day but it might be worth it, wonder if I can get work to agree?

I took the train from New York to Los Angeles. I brought my own food. For months before, any project that took more than an hour of focus I put on the agenda for the trip. The solitude was great and I arrived in L.A. with unfinished work, so wished it was longer.

On the other hand, the pollution in taking a train that far is a lot. I think it's roughly a third of flying. Before going I saw two-thirds as a big reduction. Now I think a third of a lot is still a lot.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2019, 07:17:21 AM »
You are all awesome, thank you for the suggestions.  Now to see which ones I can implement without extra bandwidth being used to convince the family.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »

I took the train from New York to Los Angeles. I brought my own food. For months before, any project that took more than an hour of focus I put on the agenda for the trip. The solitude was great and I arrived in L.A. with unfinished work, so wished it was longer.

On the other hand, the pollution in taking a train that far is a lot. I think it's roughly a third of flying. Before going I saw two-thirds as a big reduction. Now I think a third of a lot is still a lot.

For me, carbon footprint has three parts: the direct emissions, the emissions from producing the materials/item, and whether my choice promotes the paradigm shift. The last part is why I choose ferries and trains over many other options. These transport forms already have zero emission options available, (most European trains are electric, and we will soon have 60 electric ferries in Norway alone. Liquid biogas and hydrogen are also good and mature solutions). I believe it is much better for our future that we have a good public transport system based on trains, rather than building more motorways. Some people claim it is better to exchange diesel ferries with bridges and tunnels, because the private cars are turning to electric. But all data shows that the total transport increases when you build a bridge. So the total carbon footprint over the next 50-100 years is better with trains and ferries, than with most other alternatives.

Avoiding transport completely, with skype or other types of e-meetings, is of course the best option.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2019, 01:12:55 AM »
For me, carbon footprint has three parts: the direct emissions, the emissions from producing the materials/item, and whether my choice promotes the paradigm shift. The last part is why I choose ferries and trains over many other options. These transport forms already have zero emission options available, (most European trains are electric, and we will soon have 60 electric ferries in Norway alone. Liquid biogas and hydrogen are also good and mature solutions). I believe it is much better for our future that we have a good public transport system based on trains, rather than building more motorways. Some people claim it is better to exchange diesel ferries with bridges and tunnels, because the private cars are turning to electric. But all data shows that the total transport increases when you build a bridge. So the total carbon footprint over the next 50-100 years is better with trains and ferries, than with most other alternatives.

Avoiding transport completely, with skype or other types of e-meetings, is of course the best option.

And not in the least place, we should have more railroad solutions available for goods transport. There are enormous amounts of trucks on the roads. The more bridges we build and the better the roads, the more attractive it is to have goods transported by truck instead of train. I have understood that in Norway the goods trains have become less reliable in the last decade(s) and that therefore the transport of goods by road has increased enormously. I wish we would improve the trains and railroads for goods transport.

On a personal level, we can contribute to this by purchasing more stuff secondhand and repairing our broken products, so that less goods need to be transported. Also growing more of your own food would help, but that is not an option for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:15:38 AM by Linda_Norway »

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: Today at 10:31:46 AM »
I am really struggling internally right now.

I bought the electric car before I started this job, so this is my 1st full winter at this job with my car.  This job is slightly further away than my last job and this winter has been really cold (not good for electric cars).  This has caused me to have to stop after work (on my week to drive) to get additional charge before I can go home in the evenings, which means I get home late, which means that I some nights I feel like I don't get to see the baby at all.  I leave before the kids are awake in the morning and the baby is usually ready for bed between 7:30 and 8, so if I have to charge after work that means I get home later than I want to and might only be home in time to do bath and then bedtime, and it is even worse if there is someone else at the charging station. Grant it this is only a problem on my week to drive and only in the winter and by next winter baby will be older and might be going to bed a little later but this is really wearing me down emotionally.  I have been considering replacing the car to stop this emotional beat down. I need input!!

My 4 criteria are: Initial Price, Do I have to stop to charge?, Environmental Impact, & Monthly Cost.
My 4 choices that I see are: Keep current car, Replace with Prius, Replace with new Leaf (longer range), Replace with Used Tesla (much longer range).

If I rank these 1-4 in each category, my current car wins but it doesn't fix my frustration (although that frustrations is only a few months of the year).  The next highest score is the Prius but I feel like that is going backwards on the environmental scale (current electric car replaced a Prius).  The new Leaf or Used Tesla rank about the same but I have a problem parting with that kind of money.

Help what would you do?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #106 on: Today at 10:37:39 AM »
What's your round trip commute/current car?

We bought a used Volt instead of a pure BEV because my wife running out of charge in a town that has no charging infrastructure isn't a useful option for a car.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: Today at 10:58:59 AM »
2017 Leaf, current commute is 45-50 miles ONE-WAY!  This is the very edge of what the 2017 Leaf can handle in absolute perfect conditions but in the winter it has been requiring me to charge both before and after work.  In the spring/summer/fall it is the perfect excuse to go hang out (walk) at a local park and charge during lunch and that adds plenty of miles to get me home.

There is a pretty established charging network in my area but it still takes time.

I have looked at the Volt but once you go past the electric range you are on a traditional gas engine with MPG that I don't think really compare to a Prius.  I would need to get a 2016 or new to get 50 mile electric range (which is what I feel would make the Volt a good contender for me). At least in my area, the prices I am finding for a Volt 2016 or newer are not significantly lower than the new Leaf.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #108 on: Today at 11:10:14 AM »
What's your round trip commute/current car?
Not sure if this was directed specifically at Slow&Steady or to the broader audience, but I'll play along.

We have an '06 civic that's our main car.  Going to an EV is very high on our wishlist, but at present two things are stopping us: i) our 13 year old car has a ton of life in it (we just hit 80,000 miles) and ii) we've gone back to being renters in a rural area with poor charging infrastructure.  Since I can't install a rapid charger and 3-4x/mo one of us needs to drive 100+ miles (on direction) we still feel its not the right time. 

As soon as we put down roots and buy our next home (possibly within 12 monhts) we'll be looking for an EV.  So long as the property orientation allows it we'll be putting up PVs as well, more out of principle than absolute dollars and cents (our region heats almost exclusively with fuel-oil, and has very high electricity rates).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #109 on: Today at 12:02:40 PM »
2017 Leaf, current commute is 45-50 miles ONE-WAY!  This is the very edge of what the 2017 Leaf can handle in absolute perfect conditions but in the winter it has been requiring me to charge both before and after work.  In the spring/summer/fall it is the perfect excuse to go hang out (walk) at a local park and charge during lunch and that adds plenty of miles to get me home.

Other than the "you're missing out on time with your kid because you don't have a vehicle that can actually get you home" thing...  Does your carpool mind spending an hour or two charging every day?

I have looked at the Volt but once you go past the electric range you are on a traditional gas engine with MPG that I don't think really compare to a Prius.  I would need to get a 2016 or new to get 50 mile electric range (which is what I feel would make the Volt a good contender for me). At least in my area, the prices I am finding for a Volt 2016 or newer are not significantly lower than the new Leaf.

Range varies based on how you drive.  We have a 1st gen that's between 25 and 40 miles on battery, typically, depending on temperature/climate control/speed/etc.  A 2nd gen would work nicely for it, especially if you can charge at work, and you can get them for under $20k if you look.

Yes, the MPG on gas is lower than a Prius, but for most people, the net MPG is far higher if you charge it at all.  If I do half a day on battery, half on gas (we don't have 240V charging yet), it's about 70mpg - still better than a Prius.

Or you could find a job closer to your house.  There's no particularly environmentally friendly way to do 100 miles/day.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: Today at 01:19:33 PM »
Other than the "you're missing out on time with your kid because you don't have a vehicle that can actually get you home" thing...  Does your carpool mind spending an hour or two charging every day?

Charging happens when before/after co-worker joins me.

Range varies based on how you drive.  We have a 1st gen that's between 25 and 40 miles on battery, typically, depending on temperature/climate control/speed/etc.  A 2nd gen would work nicely for it, especially if you can charge at work, and you can get them for under $20k if you look.

Yes, the MPG on gas is lower than a Prius, but for most people, the net MPG is far higher if you charge it at all.  If I do half a day on battery, half on gas (we don't have 240V charging yet), it's about 70mpg - still better than a Prius.

Or you could find a job closer to your house.  There's no particularly environmentally friendly way to do 100 miles/day.
I have looked and I can NOT find a 2016 or new Volt for under $20k, at least not in my area at this time.

New job/house are not options I have right now.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #111 on: Today at 01:25:04 PM »
So do a fly-and-drive.  I'm finding 2016s (1st year of the 2nd gens) for under $20k pretty easily on eBay with lower miles, mostly off-lease stuff, far as I can tell.

Yes.  You'll use gas.  However, you can actually get places on the current infrastructure, without having to spend an hour or two charging every day and missing time with your family.  If not using gas is more important, than keep doing what you're doing or spend a ton on a longer range BEV.  I can't afford a Tesla, and didn't want my wife stuck in town with a Leaf, so... Volt it is.  Though in retrospect, I probably should have gone with a Gen2.  I'll see how summer mileage is, but winter fuel use has been higher than I was expecting (~115 miles per gallon gas used).

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #112 on: Today at 01:35:09 PM »
So do a fly-and-drive.
yeah, I never limit my auto searches to my immediate area, but expand it to include major metropolitan areas within a day's drive where I can get a direct flight.  I even had a guy who's car I wanted to buy (and did buy) pick me up at the airport. 

If I'm going to drop five figures on an item taking a day of my life and spending ~$200 on a flight is worth saving a few grand.