Author Topic: 2024 Run for your life thread!!!!  (Read 4217 times)

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
Re: 2024 Run for your life thread!!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2023, 07:35:32 PM »
I traveled to Europe twice this year for work and think I have it mostly sorted. The first time I was in the middle of a 75 hard challenge so in addition to a bunch of other things, I had to work out twice a day for 45 minutes, one of them being outside.

Here’s how I do it:

Friday/Saturday I stay up til 10/11 and get up around 4/5. Sunday I get up at like 3 so I’m super tired. The first trip I did a 5 mile run at 3:15 am then a 1 hour weight lift session at 8 am so I’d be extra tired. I book a 4:30 pm flight so when I arrive in EU, it’s around 7 am. Since I’m super tired, I take a few sleeping pills (within reason lol) right before I board my flight. I then sleep for 6-7 hours on the plane and arrive around 7 am. Wake up, go straight to work and settle into the new time schedule. It’s worked flawlessly both times.

On the way back I do the opposite. Fly out around 11 am in EU, stay awake the whole flight, land around 3 pm, fight it and stay awake til around 8 pm, and fall right back into the new routine!

Nice work!!!

One of my cousin's is doing a "75 hard" right now looked interesting...not sure I'm ready for that yet!!

How did you like it?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2023, 08:32:18 PM »
I traveled to Europe twice this year for work and think I have it mostly sorted. The first time I was in the middle of a 75 hard challenge so in addition to a bunch of other things, I had to work out twice a day for 45 minutes, one of them being outside.

Here’s how I do it:

Friday/Saturday I stay up til 10/11 and get up around 4/5. Sunday I get up at like 3 so I’m super tired. The first trip I did a 5 mile run at 3:15 am then a 1 hour weight lift session at 8 am so I’d be extra tired. I book a 4:30 pm flight so when I arrive in EU, it’s around 7 am. Since I’m super tired, I take a few sleeping pills (within reason lol) right before I board my flight. I then sleep for 6-7 hours on the plane and arrive around 7 am. Wake up, go straight to work and settle into the new time schedule. It’s worked flawlessly both times.

On the way back I do the opposite. Fly out around 11 am in EU, stay awake the whole flight, land around 3 pm, fight it and stay awake til around 8 pm, and fall right back into the new routine!

Nice work!!!

One of my cousin's is doing a "75 hard" right now looked interesting...not sure I'm ready for that yet!!

How did you like it?

Oh that’s a good question. I was already pretty disciplined so some parts were really easy for me compared to some other people, while other parts were hard:

1. Two 45 minute workouts per day - I was already working out 8-9x per week, so adding in a few more wasn’t too bad. Particularly because a brisk 45 minute outdoor walk could be used. My wife and I did several of those a week and it was nice (we did some before, and do even more now). We also ride our bikes a lot as well. I was running a ton, so some of my “45 minute workouts” were actually 10-12 mile runs that took significantly longer.

2. Drinking 1 gallon of pure water per day was hard and excessive. It has to be 100% water. So considering I also drink 2 protein shakes/day, a pre workout shake, and usually a cup of coffee, this was just too much fluid. Whatever, is what it is.

3. Not drinking alcohol - this was pretty hard. It was blistering hot here so we were inside quite a bit in the evenings, and often a bit bored. I was drinking more than I should have been. I wasn’t an alcoholic, but having a couple drinks most nights was just too much, particularly when they were 8% beers, old fashions, or margaritas. We started the challenge April 17th, and I actually haven’t touched a drop of alcohol since! Will be 8 months in a few days. I’m not saying I’ll quit forever, but undecided how I’d reintroduce it, and want firm boundaries I can set and stick to one time (i.e. only drinking on vacation, never more than 2 drinks/day, or similar). I had a pretty bad injury last year, and alcohol was involved (torn hamstring). Fitness is my life, and that should have been more of an eye opener than it was.

4. Sticking to a diet - pretty easy. I’ve gone through countless strict diets in my life. Not really “diets” per se, but structured ways of healthy eating. I didn’t intend to lose more than maybe 3-4 lbs, so basically we just cut out all “junk” food, sweets, fried food, etc. We could still go out to eat as long as it was healthy.

5. Reading 10 pages a day - This was pretty hard sometimes, just because of how busy I sometimes was. Doing this whole challenge while I was in Europe was insanely hard. It was towards the beginning so the diet and alcohol part were hard. Working 11 hour days and having to work out before & after work, plus reading, was hard.

6. Taking a daily progress picture - I would joke that I would probably have the least change of anyone that ever did the competition since I was eating healthy before and exercising so much. I was pleasantly surprised in the differences from Day 1- 75. I probably went from like 7-8% BF down to like 4%-5%. When you are down at that range, a few percent makes a pretty solid difference. My biggest concern of failing the challenge was forgetting to take the pic!

Every day we’d create a note in our phones, with a checklist, and make sure we completed everything before the end of the day. That helps us immensely. My concern wasn’t failing due to discipline, but failing due to forgetting to do something.

The challenge as a whole is cool. Once New Years hits, my wife and I intend to do it again, at least the working out (we’ll alow both to be indoors) and diet portion. We’ll modify a few other things because we have no real desire to feel like “hey we completed 75 hard!” Been there, so things like drinking the gallon of water and taking the daily pic are really overkill. I’m 6 weeks out from my hip surgery and absolutely killing it fitness-wise, so I’ll be really ready to turn things up a notch after the new year. I’ve always loved just running and biking, but haven’t done too many races. This year/next year I hope to really turn the races up a notch between gravel bike races, MTB races, and hopefully an ultra.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 08:37:32 PM by use2betrix »

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2023, 07:39:47 AM »
@use2betrix, thanks for the thorough reply! Sounds like you already had a fit baseline so maybe not the typical audience; but then still found you got something out of it.

6. Taking a daily progress picture - I would joke that I would probably have the least change of anyone that ever did the competition since I was eating healthy before and exercising so much. I was pleasantly surprised in the differences from Day 1- 75. I probably went from like 7-8% BF down to like 4%-5%. When you are down at that range, a few percent makes a pretty solid difference. My biggest concern of failing the challenge was forgetting to take the pic!

I'd think a weekly pic would accomplish roughly the same thing, but maybe the routine helps remember. I'm sure going form 8% to 4% BF is a lot harder then going say 20-15% since your already so lean.

Using a rough guide like this:

https://ultimateperformance.com/your-goal/fat-loss/male-fat-loss/male-body-fat-comparison/

I'd say I typically sit around 20%, but lately have veered solidly into 25%...with fleeting aspirations to achieve 15% again (last probably had that around 35 year sold in 2015-ish)

Of course I don't think I could achieve that solely with running, need lots of diet adjustments, weight training etc.  No way I'm in a position to go form couch to Hard 75 right now but may come up with some "Medium 75" lol to do after the New year.

Anyhow, points to ponder. gotta bust out of this rut I've been in somehow

bananas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2023, 11:23:59 AM »
Well, this was been my third week of trying to get back into running after quitting last year due to knee pain, which I now think was IT band related. The runs two weeks ago and last week ago were mostly pain free, but the pain started up again in earnest this week. I am annoyed.

After googling around and chatting with a couple runners, it sounds like the most promising place to start might be strength training exercises that target certain muscles whose weakness might be contributing to the pain -- like the gluteus medius. I'm going to figure out a routine I can start doing and try that out for a few weeks. If I don't see any progress, then I'll probably make an appointment with a physical therapist and try to get help.

Blah. Fingers crossed that I can figure this out.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2023, 12:48:02 PM »
100% yes, do the gluteus medius exercises. Also consider the running surface and your form. Try trails and alternating walking with running. Also do shorter, faster distances. I found downhill running to be very bad for IT band, as well as running on cambered asphalt roads.

Whatever you do, DO NOT run through IT band pain. I struggled with this for years and possibly gave myself some hip bursitis from my form changing due to IT band pain. Never went to a doc for it, I always figured “well this will go away in 2-5 years” and it did LOL.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2023, 02:25:07 PM »
Joining in!

I'm another barely runner. Literally once someone told me that my walk was so fast... and I was jogging :(

I've logged 2 half marathons - Disneyland at 3:03 and (3 years later) St Louis rock n roll at 3:04. I was pretty sad to not break 3 in either race.

DD does cross country and track and has been doing lots of distance running. She has the goal of doing a 10k and eventually a half.  I'd like to do Disneyland again with her in 2025.

I haven't run more than once or twice a year in the past few years.Wanting to get back in to it, it takes me a minimum of 6 months to build from nothing to a half. I'd like to start with a few local 5k and see from there what I'm capable of.

bananas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2023, 06:24:45 PM »
100% yes, do the gluteus medius exercises. Also consider the running surface and your form. Try trails and alternating walking with running. Also do shorter, faster distances. I found downhill running to be very bad for IT band, as well as running on cambered asphalt roads.

Whatever you do, DO NOT run through IT band pain. I struggled with this for years and possibly gave myself some hip bursitis from my form changing due to IT band pain. Never went to a doc for it, I always figured “well this will go away in 2-5 years” and it did LOL.

Appreciate the tips! And I definitely want to avoid running through IT band pain; I will gladly take that advice.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2023, 06:48:12 PM »
Joining in!

I'm another barely runner. Literally once someone told me that my walk was so fast... and I was jogging :(

I've logged 2 half marathons - Disneyland at 3:03 and (3 years later) St Louis rock n roll at 3:04. I was pretty sad to not break 3 in either race.

DD does cross country and track and has been doing lots of distance running. She has the goal of doing a 10k and eventually a half.  I'd like to do Disneyland again with her in 2025.

I haven't run more than once or twice a year in the past few years.Wanting to get back in to it, it takes me a minimum of 6 months to build from nothing to a half. I'd like to start with a few local 5k and see from there what I'm capable of.

Easing back in super slowly is super smart. I went from three years off to two half marathons and numerous other races in about six months. That was 22 years ago and I have been “managing” plantar fasciitis ever since. It’s a constant presence and constant battle.

PlanetDee

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2023, 08:02:14 AM »
Ran yesterday after two months off. I definitely need to get some new shoes and rest up for a day or two. But it felt amazing to be out there again! Aiming for my first half in September!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2023, 06:10:20 PM »

Easing back in super slowly is super smart. I went from three years off to two half marathons and numerous other races in about six months. That was 22 years ago and I have been “managing” plantar fasciitis ever since. It’s a constant presence and constant battle.

I had a long string of PF where it was crushing to get out of bed in the morning and usually for the first half mile or so. Often would get a bit better once warmed up.

I had to take a break for something else at one point. During that time I picked up jump rope and it realllly helped my feet (and shins). I also switched to shoes with a wider toe box so my toes could splay naturally and it eliminated my pronation. Fixed all my feet/shin issues!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2023, 06:34:20 AM »

I had a long string of PF where it was crushing to get out of bed in the morning and usually for the first half mile or so. Often would get a bit better once warmed up.

I had to take a break for something else at one point. During that time I picked up jump rope and it realllly helped my feet (and shins). I also switched to shoes with a wider toe box so my toes could splay naturally and it eliminated my pronation. Fixed all my feet/shin issues!

Excellent. I go through fairly long periods of no issues, then something will happen and it flares up. Fortunately it has never been the "crushing to get out of bed" type, though I am really good about stretching before my feet hit the floor. I suck at a lot of other stretching, but not when it comes to trying to protect my precious soles.

I have read a lot of stories about wider shoes and the ultimate of running barefoot being great for PF sufferers. I have changed shoes a couple times and when I find a type that works, I buy and buy until they change things, then I seek and buy even more until forced to something new.

I suffered shin splints way back in HS and college track. that was rough, but at least that was more directly treated (ice, lots of ice) and prevented (very effective exercises to balance the muscles out.) Oh the memories of that ache!

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2023, 05:22:19 PM »
Three miles a day, 20 days in a row so far. A little worried about Xmas travel making it difficult to get this done. Also a little teensy tiny twinge in IT band, will have to follow my own advice and do gluteus medius exercises. Otherwise feel great, almost like this daily distance is what I have been meant to be doing all along instead of such long distances or long stretches of no running at all!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2023, 06:16:18 PM »
Three miles a day, 20 days in a row so far. A little worried about Xmas travel making it difficult to get this done. Also a little teensy tiny twinge in IT band, will have to follow my own advice and do gluteus medius exercises. Otherwise feel great, almost like this daily distance is what I have been meant to be doing all along instead of such long distances or long stretches of no running at all!

I have been wondering how things were going. Thanks for the update, good luck down the stretch. Travel is tough…but there are 24 hours in most days!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2023, 10:32:31 PM »
Closing in on 8 weeks post op and doing great. Did a 2 mile walk at 16 minute miles on the 24th and a 10 mile bike ride at 16 mph yesterday. We have 3-4 days camping and 18 hours of driving over the next 5 days and will be hitting it hard when we return. 1 more month til I return to running! Looking at bike(gravel) and trail running races for mid year.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2023, 09:34:01 AM »

This is super impressive! When I'm not training for a longer race, I'd love to try something like this to build up a really solid base.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2023, 01:08:15 PM »
Did it! Ran a 5k every day in the month of December! Missed 1 day and went skiiing, but I doubled up yesterday.

Feels so good, so now the question is whether to try to continue the streak in January or slightly modify. My motivation is wacky, streaks work really well for me but I also don’t like the sensation of putting everything else aside to maintain the streak. Granted, this was surprisingly low-key. Clearly I am in better physical and mental shape than in ~2018 when a 1-mile-a-day streak was hard for me to do!

Perhaps I’ll continue it in January and then modify after that. I definitely feel like I have a good base. Another option is to do a weekly minimum mileage, so then I don’t have the feeling of not wanting to miss a day. Or, as we’ve discussed in this thread, find a race to train for.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2024, 05:24:49 PM »
Did it! Ran a 5k every day in the month of December! Missed 1 day and went skiiing, but I doubled up yesterday.

Feels so good, so now the question is whether to try to continue the streak in January or slightly modify. My motivation is wacky, streaks work really well for me but I also don’t like the sensation of putting everything else aside to maintain the streak. Granted, this was surprisingly low-key. Clearly I am in better physical and mental shape than in ~2018 when a 1-mile-a-day streak was hard for me to do!

Perhaps I’ll continue it in January and then modify after that. I definitely feel like I have a good base. Another option is to do a weekly minimum mileage, so then I don’t have the feeling of not wanting to miss a day. Or, as we’ve discussed in this thread, find a race to train for.

Congrats, that’s a cool accomplishment. If you are targeting some sort of race I definitely would recommend NOT try any sort of streak. Rest is way too important. But it certainly has built a nice layer to your base, and would be cool to keep going for a bit.

Winter running is upon me. The wind, ugh. It just bites through me, in addition to just being annoying. The sun has been out, which really helps me as this transition happens. Looks like the next layer will be added next week as we dip into the teens.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2024, 06:23:26 PM »
I was running at my own ponderous pace at least 3x a week for eight months, but stopped in December because it was too cold.  I finally had the obvious idea of wearing long underwear and I'm now back in the game. Ran yesterday and today and it wasn't too bad. I guess my current goal is to be able to go as many times around the track as I could in November, and to be able to run at top speed at least once around.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2024, 08:29:48 PM »
Inspired to join this thread after reading through it.

I haven't run much for the past decade due to a low-back injury which never allowed me to get back into it. In my 20's I ran a couple of (slow) half-marathons and always love moving but then transferred my interest to hiking and long walks once I moved to the mountains.

Fast forward to my mid-40's. Three months ago we adopted a dog (rescue husky) and her natural 'walk' is at a rapid pace so I've somehow gotten into doing bursts of running and jogging so that she can get the exercise she needs. Somehow, miraculously, my body seems to be adapting to it and I have been doing long walks with short amounts of jogging in order to build up slowly.

It's starting to feel really good and I'm considering signing up for a trail half-marathon as a stretch goal. Cuddlepup is the best trainer AND motivation :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2024, 08:52:53 PM »
Okay, I'm on Week 5 of my 12 week training plan (Napa Half Marathon) & we skied last week. I tried to run at our resort in Lake Tahoe (I think it was at 6500 feet), & let's just say the elevation wasn't my friend!

I did manage a 5.5 mile treadmill run this morning (bad weather outside, but it was right on the edge of a run long enough I should have sucked it up). It was actually a pretty good run, and my longest treadmill run in probably a decade. I used to live in Seattle, and didn't like running in the rain. ;-) Slim pickings for months of training.

I need to start getting in more mileage, vs my 10-12 per week. Goals for this week: a 6.5 miler, and 14 miles total.

For anyone having blisters or chafing of any kind at all, highly recommend Body Glide. I use it on my heels, along my sports bra, chub run, and any where I might notice chafing. It's a game changer.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2024, 09:54:52 PM »
I ran for 20+ minutes on the 3rd. Didn't die. Have biked and walked for exercise since then. Even when I was training for a half, I never ran more than 3-4 days a week.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2024, 07:13:42 AM »
I ran for 20+ minutes on the 3rd. Didn't die.

Have biked and walked for exercise since then. Even when I was training for a half, I never ran more than 3-4 days a week.

Nice job!!

Yeah I usually aim for 2 days running, 2 days biking/other. My Joints (knee's especially) don't seem to enjoy running more then that.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2024, 08:20:36 AM »
Okay, I'm on Week 5 of my 12 week training plan (Napa Half Marathon) & we skied last week. I tried to run at our resort in Lake Tahoe (I think it was at 6500 feet), & let's just say the elevation wasn't my friend!

I did manage a 5.5 mile treadmill run this morning (bad weather outside, but it was right on the edge of a run long enough I should have sucked it up). It was actually a pretty good run, and my longest treadmill run in probably a decade. I used to live in Seattle, and didn't like running in the rain. ;-) Slim pickings for months of training.

I need to start getting in more mileage, vs my 10-12 per week. Goals for this week: a 6.5 miler, and 14 miles total.

For anyone having blisters or chafing of any kind at all, highly recommend Body Glide. I use it on my heels, along my sports bra, chub run, and any where I might notice chafing. It's a game changer.

Yeah, Body Glide is a must have. Apply early, thick, and often. I have painful memories of getting to Fort Benning in the early 90s for jump school in August, coming from a dry climate. Chafed up nicely within about five minutes of the first run in that wonderful moist air. The only thing I had as a try to treat/prevent was powder. That was better than nothing (I think.) I don't recall even thinking about Vaseline at the time, that would have been a lot better. Of course, this was back in the gray cotton PT uniform days.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2024, 08:15:34 AM »
Got my longest run in about two years in at 5 miles last week. Felt pretty good during it with minimal knee/leg pain. But recovery has been rough, ankles, shin splints, feet, everything hurting.

Did it Wednesday and its Tuesday today and finally feeling a little better. Not sure if it was the jump from 3 miles to 5, the percentage of pavement (about half), my form, or what...

But it's making me a bit nervous on how to proceed this week!  I did a 1.5 hour jump at a trampoline park Sat with kids, a 45 minute walk/hike Sunday, and a 10 mile snowy bike ride yesterday. So I'm trying to keep moving and working on cardio, but not the same as actual running.  We've also received 4 inches of snow with varying layers of melt, ice, slush, etc. so that'll be a bit of an obstacle next few days. May still try and do a trail run and just figure on getting wet/muddy.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2024, 10:34:10 AM »
Got my longest run in about two years in at 5 miles last week. Felt pretty good during it with minimal knee/leg pain. But recovery has been rough, ankles, shin splints, feet, everything hurting.

Did it Wednesday and its Tuesday today and finally feeling a little better. Not sure if it was the jump from 3 miles to 5, the percentage of pavement (about half), my form, or what...

Warm-up routine was? Cool-down routine was? (I completely suck at both of them these days, but recognize how important they are)

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2024, 10:53:52 AM »

Warm-up routine was? Cool-down routine was? (I completely suck at both of them these days, but recognize how important they are)

Hmmm pretty much non existent; which is my go to. But maybe that's not workign as well as I age (43).  Might have to look into some simple suggestions/routines.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2024, 02:06:35 PM »

Hmmm pretty much non existent; which is my go to. But maybe that's not workign as well as I age (43).  Might have to look into some simple suggestions/routines.

How old are your running shoes?

I got my 2024 running shoes 10 days ago, and my runs have been much more enjoyable!  I've also kept up my 5 minute post-run stretch routine.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2024, 07:13:34 AM »
I have always been a fan of a dynamic "warm-up" which basically just consisted of walking for 5 minutes before running. As I've gotten older (48) I'm finding a short routine of leg swings, squats, and lunges opens my hips and results in less pain as I begin the run. My cool down is always just walking on an incline, getting progressively slower for 5 minutes and I'm usually good to go. Shoes do play an important role though. If you're running in shoes with loads of miles on them, it might help to get some new ones if that's in the budget. Also, have you ever been fitted for shoes or done a gait analysis? Most running shoe stores will do them for free and give you some info about if your stride is maybe to blame for some of your pain

Redherring

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2024, 12:32:02 PM »
Joining in. Just completed week 2 of my 20 week marathon program. First timer, never ran beyond 17k and that was 10 years ago. However regular 5-10k runner since 2006 ( I am now 51). I aim for 3h50 finish time, wish me luck!!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2024, 12:44:36 PM »
Joining in. Just completed week 2 of my 20 week marathon program. First timer, never ran beyond 17k and that was 10 years ago. However regular 5-10k runner since 2006 ( I am now 51). I aim for 3h50 finish time, wish me luck!!

Excellent! Welcome! I love the challenge of a marathon training program and of course race day strategy.

Before starting the 20 week program, what was your normal weekly total distance?

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2024, 02:12:48 PM »
Wow, I would be so tickled to do a marathon in under 4 hours!

My life lesson (for me) is only to do trail marathons. I have never hurt myself on a trail marathon, but badly hurt my IT band on the two road marathons that I did (took years to recover). I suspect that if I really trained hard and ran faster on a road marathon I might not have a problem due to improved form. But I lack the motivation to do that.

I am very slow but the last trail marathon that I did, due to lack of competition, I ended up getting 2nd or 3rd place in my age/gender group at 5-plus hours. I remember looking around at mile 17 and thinking, I wonder if I am going to place in this? It was because there was a simultaneous ultra and very few people had signed up for the marathon.

With 7 miles to go, I passed two younger (than me) guys who were doing one of the ultra distances. One said to the other, “only 15 miles left” and I could see the other guy just die inside. That marathon, I was just so pleased to have not hurt myself, and also just enjoying myself the whole beautiful way.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 02:14:37 PM by Fru-Gal »

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2024, 07:11:57 AM »
I've just been plugging along...spending more time on my bike trainer than the treadmill. I have done 5-mile runs each of the past two Saturdays, but that's been it. I still haven't picked and committed to a triathlon yet, so I'm mainly just sporadically working out as I can. I think once I actually choose a race and get the date on the calendar I'll settle into a training plan.

Hope everyone else's runs are going well!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2024, 11:16:11 AM »

How old are your running shoes?

I got my 2024 running shoes 10 days ago, and my runs have been much more enjoyable!  I've also kept up my 5 minute post-run stretch routine.

Just bought them at Black Friday, not many miles yet.

Though they may not be as thick as the Hoka's I'd been wearing before

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2024, 11:20:39 AM »
I have always been a fan of a dynamic "warm-up" which basically just consisted of walking for 5 minutes before running. As I've gotten older (48) I'm finding a short routine of leg swings, squats, and lunges opens my hips and results in less pain as I begin the run. My cool down is always just walking on an incline, getting progressively slower for 5 minutes and I'm usually good to go. Shoes do play an important role though. If you're running in shoes with loads of miles on them, it might help to get some new ones if that's in the budget. Also, have you ever been fitted for shoes or done a gait analysis? Most running shoe stores will do them for free and give you some info about if your stride is maybe to blame for some of your pain

I've had custom orthodics made at a running store for Hoka's before, but not sure if it was a "gait anylisis"

Some walking and squatting/stretching, may be beneficial before the run.

After that pain from my 5 mile run we wound up getting our first two snows in a long time. Did 2 snowy bike rides, hiking, sledding, shoveling,  but no runs. My one ankle/shin (not sure exactly what it is) is still SUPER tight and painful even walking. Not sure what's up  :/

Redherring

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2024, 12:05:18 AM »

Excellent! Welcome! I love the challenge of a marathon training program and of course race day strategy.

Before starting the 20 week program, what was your normal weekly total distance?

Thanks!! I have done 5-10 km per week for many years. Quite irregular, in reality 0-20km per week. I do other sports like hiking, skiing, bit of weights and do 8-9k steps per day despite my WFH job. So have kept in decent shape and managed my weight (6ft1 and 172 lbs), which I say is essential

For me, running is the ultimate feeling of freedom and actually surprised I never did more intense efforts

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2024, 05:46:30 AM »

But it's making me a bit nervous on how to proceed this week!  I did a 1.5 hour jump at a trampoline park Sat with kids, a 45 minute walk/hike Sunday, and a 10 mile snowy bike ride yesterday. So I'm trying to keep moving and working on cardio, but not the same as actual running.  We've also received 4 inches of snow with varying layers of melt, ice, slush, etc. so that'll be a bit of an obstacle next few days. May still try and do a trail run and just figure on getting wet/muddy.

Well, last week was icy/snowy/slushy and hovering well under freezing much of the time. Combined with my lingering soreness I skipped a full 2 weeks between runs. I did get in a 2 bike rides, hike, trampoline park, 2 sessions of sledding with kids and two snow shoveling sessions...

So yesterday I finally ran again - Started with 7-8 minute walk, few minutes of stretching, ran 3 miles on dirt trails, and then wrapped with a 10 minute walk. Came home showered and applied a bunch of icy/hot type stuff on my legs and feeling ok today. Still some pain around right ankle but 80% better then last time.

Of course...it was only 3 miles and I need to ramp up!! Going to try 4 or 5 this weekend with similar routine of warm up/stretch/ cool down. Fingers crossed!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2024, 10:40:19 AM »

Well, last week was icy/snowy/slushy and hovering well under freezing much of the time. Combined with my lingering soreness I skipped a full 2 weeks between runs. I did get in a 2 bike rides, hike, trampoline park, 2 sessions of sledding with kids and two snow shoveling sessions...

So yesterday I finally ran again - Started with 7-8 minute walk, few minutes of stretching, ran 3 miles on dirt trails, and then wrapped with a 10 minute walk. Came home showered and applied a bunch of icy/hot type stuff on my legs and feeling ok today. Still some pain around right ankle but 80% better then last time.

Of course...it was only 3 miles and I need to ramp up!! Going to try 4 or 5 this weekend with similar routine of warm up/stretch/ cool down. Fingers crossed!

Hopefully it works. For me, it takes about six weeks of consistent 20+ minutes per run 3-5 times a week to feel like I have accomplished some physical adaptation. That is not starting from full zero, but just from normal activities to running. I have had a couple surgeries that had me start from full nothing and there I would say it takes me closer to three months before I feel confident in the joints. Of course, as the birthdays stack up who the hell knows.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2024, 12:20:18 PM »

Hopefully it works. For me, it takes about six weeks of consistent 20+ minutes per run 3-5 times a week to feel like I have accomplished some physical adaptation. That is not starting from full zero, but just from normal activities to running. I have had a couple surgeries that had me start from full nothing and there I would say it takes me closer to three months before I feel confident in the joints. Of course, as the birthdays stack up who the hell knows.

Thanks, hopefully!!

I haven't run 3-5 times a week since High school cross country 25 years ago.

I've always ran 1-2 times a week through adulthood. (Not always, but when I'm running). Maybe I'll try adding in a 3rd short run.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2024, 08:28:40 AM »
Still training for my half the first weekend in March. I'm finally caught up with my training plan, after several weeks of being sick.

I'm averaging about 20 miles/week, and did a 10 mile run yesterday. I definitely need to work on my fueling. My stomach is sensitive when I eat before a workout, so I ran on an empty stomach. That worked okay for both my 6 & 8 mile run, but my body didn't appreciate it on the 10 miler. I need to experiment with some breakfast options that won't bother my stomach. On the flip side, I ordered a new belt that holds two water bottles & can hold my phone. I have one belt that holds four water bottles, but it's 12+ years old & I can only find one water bottle that has a working lid. And, it didn't hold a cell phone. So, that meant wearing two belts, which is a definite no for me. The new belt works fine. I used Nuun, and that definitely helped.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2024, 11:38:56 AM »
When I was training for my marathon, I carried and ate fig newtons.  I had read about a runner that did, and it just stuck.

Ugh, and I hated my water bottle belt with a passion, but it was a necessary evil.

For halves (halfs?), I don't remember bothering with food.  When I trained for my last half, I rigged a hand-carried bottle strap by wrapping duct tape around an old crappy water bottle and my hand (since I had already sold off my belt system).  It actually worked pretty well (held together for all my training), and the price was right...

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2024, 09:11:39 AM »
I'm an intermittent faster, so when I run in the morning it is almost always on an empty stomach. When I'm going longer distances, since I am accustomed to running on empty but know I will need fuel after a certain point, I compromise with a spoonful of nut butter. It's not much...but it puts something in the tank without over-doing it with a "breakfast" type of meal and making me feel sluggish and risking stomach pain.

For on-the-go water/sports drink, I've taken to running with a small camelbak. I love that it's not a belt and it's so light I hardly notice it's there. I only fill it up about 1/4 to 1/2 full with whatever I feel like I want to drink on a long run and it's been great for me. I used to use a multi-bottle fuel belt but those things just annoyed me and would tend to be something that I had to fidget with over the course of a race. I understand people love them, but I just can't do them anymore, lol.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2024, 06:53:41 PM »
Ran the Napa half marathon this weekend, with my 71  year old mom & sister. It was my mom's first half, and she crushed it & placed in the top of the 60+ age division. I felt great until mile 11, but less great after that. My sister fell apart at that point, so we walked a bit to let her recover. She also had a bathroom stop (I can normally get by without one). All that said, it was very close to my top pace in recent years, so I feel good about that. The weather sucked. It was 37 when we got off the bus at the start line, and it rained throughout the entire event. No fun.

I ended up having half of a bagel with some peanut butter smeared on it in the hotel room before we left. (I'd tried that on my 11 mile training run as well). Worked fine.

I'm thinking we should do a 15K next. Not sure I can convince my sister to do another half with me for a while.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2024, 09:15:00 AM »
Ran the Napa half marathon this weekend, with my 71  year old mom & sister. It was my mom's first half, and she crushed it & placed in the top of the 60+ age division. I felt great until mile 11, but less great after that. My sister fell apart at that point, so we walked a bit to let her recover. She also had a bathroom stop (I can normally get by without one). All that said, it was very close to my top pace in recent years, so I feel good about that. The weather sucked. It was 37 when we got off the bus at the start line, and it rained throughout the entire event. No fun.

I ended up having half of a bagel with some peanut butter smeared on it in the hotel room before we left. (I'd tried that on my 11 mile training run as well). Worked fine.

I'm thinking we should do a 15K next. Not sure I can convince my sister to do another half with me for a while.

Nicely done! Rain is rough, you can chafe in places you never knew you had places. I had the skies open up and pour for about twenty minutes in a triathlon once. But it was about five minutes after I got out of the water, so no big deal, and it was quite warm. Cold and rainy and 13.1 miles....yikes.

15K is a fun distance. I used to do a series of them a decade+ ago.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2024, 12:35:38 PM »
Well, training for this half was a struggle. Completed way less miles and runs overall.  Was sick a few times, lots of ankle pain/tightness....just never quite got in the groove like I have in the past.

Only worked up to about 7 miles consecutive vs my typical 10 ish. Did do one 9 mile day two weeks ago, but was approx 3 walking 6 jogging.

So I was pretty nervous for race day and whether I could even complete it. Slept like hell night before. On top of that tough week of work digging holes and pouring 42 bags of Sakrete.

BUT, somehow I actually pulled through ok. Still way slower then my old mid 30's PR ( 2:03:40) but not much slower then my last half in February 2022.

That was in Vegas which is really flat vs yesterday in DC with a couple decent hills. Ran Vegas in 2:21:12.

DC yesterday at 2:22:50.

Really sore last night and today. Hoping I can actually walk tomm, lol. Taking a week or so off to think and may research another race or two to target this year.

Be nice to keep training from where I am vs starting over all the time. Plus between a few rounds of crud going through our house and a couple weeks with ice/snow on the ground it wasn't my most consistent 12 weeks of build up.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2024, 12:39:26 PM »
You did it, @Longwaytogo ! Congrats. Definitely had training cycles like that. In fact, I think only my first real training cycle was as close to perfect as could be. Since then, they've all been sort of cobbled together between work travel, ski trips/vacations (not conducive to also running), illness, injuries, etc. But, we keep doing it!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2024, 01:42:13 PM »
You did it, @Longwaytogo ! Congrats.

Definitely had training cycles like that. In fact, I think only my first real training cycle was as close to perfect as could be.

Since then, they've all been sort of cobbled together between work travel, ski trips/vacations (not conducive to also running), illness, injuries, etc. But, we keep doing it!

Thanks!!

Yeah my others probably weren't perfect by any stretch either, just seemed better then this one.

Yes we keep going best we can :)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2024, 07:17:23 AM »
Congrats on getting across the finish line! Training can definitely be tough with all of our other responsibilities, so pat yourself on the back for making it happen. On to the next!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:37:14 PM by brandon1827 »

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2024, 08:03:07 AM »
Congrats on getting across the finish line! Training can definitely be tough will all of our other responsibilities, so pat yourself on the back for making it happen. On to the next!

Thanks Brandon!!

I'm used to cold from working outside over the years; but not much for running in the dark! Hoping to keep it going now with the nicer Weather and longer days :)

lcmac32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2024, 09:55:39 AM »
It has been 15 years since my last 5k.  I commit to running one in 2024.  I literally need to be running for my life! 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2024, 03:41:08 PM »
You've got this, @lcmac32 !

I'm trying to settle back into a post-half routine. Because I'm currently "funemployed", I'm definitely getting in a lot of workouts. I'm currently doing 6 days/week of Orange Theory and another day of hiking. Throw in some pickle ball + random walks with friends, and it's plenty of exercise. I'm going to two tread classes this week (I love the concept of someone else designing a treadmill class for me, even though I could obviously do this myself), and will probably get in a total of 16 miles or so throughout the week. Once the weather gets consistently nicer, I'll probably add in a 5-6 mile run on a weekend.

I need to start thinking about training for Hood to Coast. I'm not sure which legs I'll end up with this year, but I hope it's minimal hills. Last year, I ran my hilliest leg in the 90+ degrees, and felt awful. Turned out I had COVID, which made everything much more "fun". ;)