Author Topic: I'm in subscription hell  (Read 631 times)

Emily2651

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm in subscription hell
« on: July 16, 2018, 11:18:48 PM »
[Caveat: I am newly returning to frugality after a lengthy hiatus. Much work to do.]

Thanks to Prime Day, today I took stock of how many freakin' subscriptions we have in our household. It's out of control.

- Amazon Prime ($119/year)
- Spotify ($9.99/month)
- Thrive Market ($59.95/year)
- Calm app ($59.99/year)
- NYT online/Sunday delivery ($41/month)
- Idler online/print (£125/year)
- Nautilus print subscription ($39/year)
- Photoshop ($9.99/month)
- YNAB ($50/year)

!YIKES! The annual cost of this mess is $1225.24.

I am horrified.

I've already stopped Amazon Prime from auto-renewing. I'm also going to shed Thrive, Calm, the NYT; won't renew the Idler and Nautilus. For now, I'll keep Spotify and YNAB; husband says he can't give up Photoshop. Total annual savings: $935.48. It's a start.

Am I the only one with ridiculous subscriptions? 

englishteacheralex

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I'm in subscription hell
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:03:47 AM »
I hate subscriptions and avoid them like the plague. Here's what we have:

1. Amazon Prime (I hate it. DH likes the streaming entertainment options. I'm trying to get him to cancel it.)
2. Netflix (Not a big fan of this, either. I used to like it when it was DVDs; the options were way better. But Netflix is helpful if you have kids, which we do. And we do watch plenty of shows on it.)
3. NYT ($7/month online subscription--I get an educator discount. I read hundreds of articles/month so I really get the use out of this.)
4. Ranger Rick (a Christmas present for my son. He loves getting the actual magazine in the mail. I think it was $12 for the year?)

Other than that we have no subscriptions IIRC. Anything monthly gives me hives.

I journal at https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-aloha-journal/msg1267277/#msg1267277

Tales of a haole teacher whose futon washed up on Oahu over a decade ago.

Raymond Reddington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:51:48 AM »
Ouch.

We dropped all magazine and newspaper subscriptions a while ago. There is plenty of interesting, free content out there, and the costs of subscriptions are almost never justified. For every interesting event we hear of through a magazine, it could be just as easily discovered through Facebook or other means, and there is tons of free content out there if you want to pick up knowledge or skills, so learning from a paper or magazine is almost never worth the cost because the majority of what comes in doesn't get read anyway.

I've always been good with spreadsheets, so we've never been tempted to pay for any sort of budgeting apps, but that's an individual decision.

Food subscriptions are a tough call. I'd say you have to weight the cost of your annual savings on food through the subscription vs. the alternative. Food is definitely an area we are looking to cut expenses too. We occasionally get Blue Apron. My wife is an excellent chef, but cooking for two is hard due to portion size and Blue Apron is good with that, plus it gives her recipes that she can tweak or try to recreate on the cheap later. It's nice every once in a while, but we try not to do it too often. It's an ongoing process, and we're still trying to find the optimal mix while generally eating healthy.

The sleeping app, unless one of you has an extreme difficulty sleeping, I'd look to drop. And even if you do, a white noise machine can be purchased for less than the yearly cost of that app.
"The reality about transportation is that it's future oriented. If we're planning for what we have, we're behind the curve." -Anthony Foxx

"Silence is the best way of saying f*** you"

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:07:35 AM »
We went through this awhile ago and now have that we pay for just Netflix, Spotify for the 2 kids in college and MLS package which was Birthday gift for my son which is $4.99 a month. That obviously doesnt include interenet and stuff but otherwise that its. No magazines or things of that nature and that all comes to about 30$ a month. We bought Roku's for the tv's a while back and that has alot of content as well and has paid for its self over and over again and removed any buffering problems. They were only like 50$ a piece and they as I said have a ton of free content.
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

Malkynn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:42:05 AM »
Why not get rid of all of the subscriptions and then just bring back the ones whose absence really affects your quality of life?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:53:08 AM »
Keep in mind you can do free trials with most subscription services.  And you can repeat those each year.  Or you can sign up for a month, and then drop the subscription.  Amazon prime might be handy at the holiday season if you would otherwise mail some gifts, so get the trial then.  Also, check with your library.  Mine has services called Overdrive and Hoopla that provide all kinds of media content....way more than I have time for.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:52:40 AM »
Good working cutting a lot of it so far! The only subscription I have is Amazon Prime. Netflix is included with my cellphone bill (T-Mobile, which is cheaper than our old AT&T plan even with the Netflix, and we love the unlimited data and international plan. No, it's not the most Mustachian out there, but it works for us for right now). My teenager had Spotify but he cancelled it recently. We are doing a 30 day free trial of the Amazon Family Unlimited Music plan and will decide if we're keeping it in a few weeks. I've been using the Amazon Music that comes with Prime to listen at work all day for years; now that my husband and son want to use it too we decided to do the trial and see if we really get enough value out of it to justify the expense.

It's really easy to get sucked into subscriptions; good job realizing it had happened and deciding to do something about it.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:53:06 AM »
Netflix
Hulu
Apple Music (wife)
Online access to Local Newspaper $6.93/month

Getting rid of Prime has saved me so much money.  Not so much from the subscription price but from the ease of spending money on Amazon. 

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:36:51 AM »
Monthly subscriptions:
  • Internet: $20 (Xfinity)
  • Mobile phone: $14 (Republic Wireless, includes refund on unused data)
I'm fortunate enough to be added to my Dad's plan on Amazon Prime, as I would
not pay for it otherwise.  Youtube and books handle most of my sedentary entertainment
needs wants.

dave__

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:00:59 PM »
husband says he can't give up Photoshop.

If he's using a Mac, this is a worthy substitute: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/affinity-photo/id824183456 $35.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:43:32 PM »
Getting rid of Prime has saved me so much money.  Not so much from the subscription price but from the ease of spending money on Amazon.

I think this is interesting because I find it's been the opposite for me. I always used to add more things to my order for "free shipping"...since getting Prime I don't do that anymore and find I indulge in a lot fewer impulse purchases/add ons.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:44:35 PM »
husband says he can't give up Photoshop.

If he's using a Mac, this is a worthy substitute: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/affinity-photo/id824183456 $35.

Or there's Gimp, which is open source and free. It's a bit of a learning curve, but it can do most of what PS does.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:23:03 PM »
Congrats on starting to cancel things, it's wonderful how little we missed some of ours when we started cutting.

Our household subscriptions are:
 - Amazon Prime
 - Economist Magazine (weekly)
 - Harper's Magazine (monthly)

Prime we keep because we have the student price, and use it for watching TV more than buying things (though the free shipping is nice when we do buy something, a few times a year).  Having Prime let us cancel Netflix last year, so I count it a win.  The two magazines are gifts to DH from various family members, so I don't know what they cost.  Probably wouldn't keep them if we were paying for them, but DH likes them - lets him keep abreast of the world getting sucked in to news sites online.  I think it's a good balance.

Emily2651

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:13:52 PM »
I hate subscriptions and avoid them like the plague. Here's what we have:

1. Amazon Prime (I hate it. DH likes the streaming entertainment options. I'm trying to get him to cancel it.)
2. Netflix (Not a big fan of this, either. I used to like it when it was DVDs; the options were way better. But Netflix is helpful if you have kids, which we do. And we do watch plenty of shows on it.)
3. NYT ($7/month online subscription--I get an educator discount. I read hundreds of articles/month so I really get the use out of this.)
4. Ranger Rick (a Christmas present for my son. He loves getting the actual magazine in the mail. I think it was $12 for the year?)

Other than that we have no subscriptions IIRC. Anything monthly gives me hives.

I forgot about Netflix! ::facepalm:: Just canceled our streaming subscription and downgraded the DVD plan to a $4.99/month option.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #14 on: Today at 06:35:50 PM »
Hmm, I'm probably somewhere in subscription purgatory. I've got Audible at $16/month, and Hulu at $9/month. I also mooch off my wife's Amazon Prime subscription. But the phone. The phone! That's my true excess, at $70/month.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:48:15 PM »
We've got:

1)  Prime-- student edition via DS.  We don't buy THAT much stuff, so probably would do fine without it.  The video service has been good.

2)  Phone service -- DH and DD on the Tmobile senior plan ($60/month total) and DS and I both on Google Fi (Averages $55-60/month total)

3)  Spotify family plan

4)  Simplisafe home monitoring -- DH pushed me to get this, it doesn't work properly but he hasn't fixed it and I don't know how.  I will probably cancel it once we get back from summer travels.

I sometimes get magazine subscriptions using FF miles (one way to keep the accounts from expiring) -- currently have Money magazine via this channel.

We'll probably get Netflix soon, or add cable to our internet package.
Wherever you go, there you are

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Bot - Do Not Reply
« Reply #16 on: Today at 11:00:24 PM »
I enjoy reading the physical Sunday paper too, but man $41/month is really expensive. Consider switching to digital only.