Author Topic: Race from 250 to 500k!  (Read 926994 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Race from 250 to 500k!
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
Does anyone have a timing goal?

So much of my net worth (on this thread) is in my house, so I'm not sure how much control I have, but I'm hoping for 520K at year's end.  I will make a huge investment (40K?) in December, so I think I'll jump right over the 500K line.

December 2013: 142K
March 2014: 178K
June 2014: 191K
September 2014: 205K
December 2014: 231K
March 2015: 232K (I self financed half a wedding this quarter, and began subsidizing now husband)
June 2015: 249K
September 2015: 272K (a new~30K in debt showed in this quarter from the first half of a 60K roof assessment I didn't have cash on hand for)
December 2015: 326K
March 2016: 342K (including some trades that will go through at close of business, I think)
April 2016: 345K (so. slow.  investing/paying off between 8 and 10K a month and I'm not sure where it's going!  I think my home's zillow value was skewing my total)
May 2016: 352K Finally, a bit of progress! (includes 5/31 trades that just went in today, and a small increase in home value.)
June 2016: 389K Woohoo! I am up 140K on last June. A chunk of this is my zestimate for my house going back to where it's generally been.  I also maxed my 401(k) and have now moved in to exclusively taxable investing.  Waiting on an ~8K tax refund, as well, which will go in to the baby/maternity suits fund, maybe I'll throw a couple K towards my HELOC (still 36K outstanding on 50K loan from last year).
July 2016: 442,402K Holy crap.  This is mostly a jump in my house value, but I also got my tax refund and started at a slightly higher rate. Paying off principal of 3K a month, investing 4.5K and then saving a bit more each month now, so things should really move along.  Unfortunately I'm sure my house value will bounce back down at some point.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:26 AM »

Hoping for 5 years from now? We just started this particular race and we're a fair bit slower than some of you, who are posting 5 figure/month increases...

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »

Hoping for 5 years from now? We just started this particular race and we're a fair bit slower than some of you, who are posting 5 figure/month increases...

Families making $150-200 are probably investing around $5k a month. The market was pretty kind these last 2 months, so you'll see bigger jumps around these times. Wait for a 15% drop month :)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »

Families making $150-200 are probably investing around $5k a month. The market was pretty kind these last 2 months, so you'll see bigger jumps around these times. Wait for a 15% drop month :)

For me a huge portion of the jump is my house.  For consistency's sake I'm using zillow whether it's up or down (even when it does wacky things like pump the value 10% over the last two months).

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »

Timing Goal - NW should reach $500K end of 2016, but I started this thread at $400 NW and $260 Liquid/Invested so that's my real "Race". Liquid should reach $500K in the fall of 2017 if everything stays on course.

Ender (or others) - Don't let yourself be discouraged by a faster pace from others. In my case, I have a spendypants family but a firehose wage, so anything short of the pace I'm on would be complete failure. My pace is really not very worthy in terms of savings rate or any other frugal benchmark. Just keep kicking ass in your own way and you'll be fine.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »

Timing Goal - NW should reach $500K end of 2016, but I started this thread at $400 NW and $260 Liquid/Invested so that's my real "Race". Liquid should reach $500K in the fall of 2017 if everything stays on course.

Ender (or others) - Don't let yourself be discouraged by a faster pace from others. In my case, I have a spendypants family but a firehose wage, so anything short of the pace I'm on would be complete failure. My pace is really not very worthy in terms of savings rate or any other frugal benchmark. Just keep kicking ass in your own way and you'll be fine.

My household is similar: make a lot, spend a lot. So while we've seen some big gains in the last few months, with our 50% savings rate, FI is still 10+ years out. It seems like a pipe dream. I don't expect much sympathy, but I'm becoming a little discouraged.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »

My household is similar: make a lot, spend a lot. So while we've seen some big gains in the last few months, with our 50% savings rate, FI is still 10+ years out. It seems like a pipe dream. I don't expect much sympathy, but I'm becoming a little discouraged.

we are high earners with out kids yet currently saving 100k annually we hit our 500k NW goal but are sticking around to hit the 500k invested goal.  which being at 375k right now and investing 100k+ per year with very modest market gains we can expect to hit 500k by this time next year ... so since its all tied to market gains really at this point the goal is summer 2017.  we are equivalently high spenders.  in the 45k range pre mortgage.  so we're not that mustachian.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
Don't be discouraged.  I think I'm about 10 years away too.  If we look at things objectively (always a good idea) what are these numbers showing us?  Hopefully an upward trend.  How accurate is the trend line?  That depends on how we compute NW and how volatile our numbers are month to month.  There are really only two elements contributing to our upward trend line:  contributions and gains.  Variables that do not reflect our progress vis a vis contributions and gains are just noise.  For example, I include our account balances on whatever day I happen to do the spreadsheet.  Now, if it's right after a payday but before a scheduled payment posts, that could make that number look artificially large, and conversely if it's before a payday but after a scheduled payment, it could look artificially small.  If I was trying to game my own system, I could pick a day that makes it look like I boosted my bottom line.  Alternatively, if I wanted to be super duper precise, I would take an average daily balance.  Since I am too lazy to do any of those things, I just plug in whatever the number is on the day I do the spreadsheet and figure the bumps will wash out over time.

Including the home equity value in net worth (which I do) can also add extra volatility if you are looking up your FMV on Zillow every month.  For me, I want the numbers to reflect the progress I am making in paying off the remainder of my 15 year mortgage, but I don't want to obscure the trend line based on the vagaries of the Zestimate, which may just be unicorns and cotton candy for all I know.  The volatility of the zestimate is just noise. I just pick a FMV number that I think the home is worth based on my purchase price and the subsequent price trends for my suburb (which you can figure out from Zillow) and roll with it.  I don't adjust the FMV more than once a year.

If you smooth out these minor details, the trend line should reflect the contributions and the actual market gains & losses.   Some months the market losses will wipe out the contributions, but most months we are getting positive progress.  My spreadsheet is rigged to show a percentage increase of NW month to month.  This year, with the exception of January, I've been running a consistent 2-3 % increase each month.  In my mind, any time it goes up, that's a good month.   

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »
See, this is the thing that I don't like about these "gauntlet forum" threads: in the whole scheme of things, it isn't REALLY a race.  You don't win anything extra for reaching $500k before I do, or vice versa.  I am going to reach $500k in less than three years no matter what the market does because I am saving about $13k per month, and I'm not putting it all the market.  When I stop working this job and move to a (hopefully) more enjoyable semi-retirement job, I am not going to have such an astronomical savings rate, and it will take me at least twice as long to reach $1M than it did to reach $500k.  But you know what?  I'm ok with that.  I've decided I don't enjoy my personal rat race very much, to the point that I'm counting down the days (well, still weeks at this point) until I quit my job.  The tradeoff of my life energy for dollars is certainly reasonable in the short term to build up a decent stash and be off to a good start on the road to FI.  But it's sure not something I'm willing to do for the long term.  So I take that gauntlet and raise you one rose.  (Sounds like a spoof 80s hair band: gauntlets and roses....)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
See, this is the thing that I don't like about these "gauntlet forum" threads: in the whole scheme of things, it isn't REALLY a race.  You don't win anything extra for reaching $500k before I do, or vice versa.  I am going to reach $500k in less than three years no matter what the market does because I am saving about $13k per month, and I'm not putting it all the market.  When I stop working this job and move to a (hopefully) more enjoyable semi-retirement job, I am not going to have such an astronomical savings rate, and it will take me at least twice as long to reach $1M than it did to reach $500k.  But you know what?  I'm ok with that.  I've decided I don't enjoy my personal rat race very much, to the point that I'm counting down the days (well, still weeks at this point) until I quit my job.  The tradeoff of my life energy for dollars is certainly reasonable in the short term to build up a decent stash and be off to a good start on the road to FI.  But it's sure not something I'm willing to do for the long term.  So I take that gauntlet and raise you one rose.  (Sounds like a spoof 80s hair band: gauntlets and roses....)

It's not a race against each other it's a race against yourself to push yourself. If you don't see value and the fun of it. There are plenty of other things to do on these forums.

BookWorm22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2016, 07:06:38 PM »
As far as a timeline goes I am hoping for 3 years if we maintain status quo.  There are a couple of things that could speed this up significantly.  First, we are not yet maxing out the 403(b)/457 contributions.  Every month or two I increase the contributions so they will at some point be maxed.  We have also not maxed out the Roth IRAs yet (always contributed some, but never maxed). Come heck or high water we will find a way to max the Roths in 2016/early 2017.  Secondly, we plan to start investing in rental real estate.  As of now we are in the theoretical/saving up a down payment phase, but I can see real estate helping to accelerate the growth of the stash.

I can understand feeling discouraged about not having more saved.  Once you stop comparing yourself to an "average" person and start comparing numbers with super savers it can be frustrating.  I don't see this as a race against anyone else other myself/hubby to see how fast we can make something we really want turn into reality. We stupidly have paid extra on the mortgage for years and only saved the "recommended 15%".  So NWwise we look good at  ~$620K, but half of that amount is equity just sitting there looking cute not doing anything.  Also, our stash is all in retirement accounts with no taxable investments.  We only started tracking net worth this year, but I do have our yearly investment balances since we got married.  It took us 8 years to clear $100K and 5 more years to clear $250K.  Since I have been tracking every month and stepped up our contributions this year there is a noticeable increase.  We are also "only" saving around $40K a year (hoping to increase that).  So don't feel bad if you are not making the gains that others are.  Ched, Bbub, and a few others are deservedly in class by themselves. 

I wonder if there are some that are not comfortable posting numbers because they think their gains aren't good enough. The point of this thread isn't really to compare against each other, but to encourage and cheer everyone on.  Don't feel that you have to progress on someone else's timetable or that you will be judged for perceived smaller increases.  I love this thread because it shows at regular intervals how possible the dream of FIRE is.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2016, 08:02:31 PM »
See, this is the thing that I don't like about these "gauntlet forum" threads: in the whole scheme of things, it isn't REALLY a race.  You don't win anything extra for reaching $500k before I do, or vice versa. I am going to reach $500k in less than three years no matter what the market does because I am saving about $13k per month, and I'm not putting it all the market.  When I stop working this job and move to a (hopefully) more enjoyable semi-retirement job, I am not going to have such an astronomical savings rate, and it will take me at least twice as long to reach $1M than it did to reach $500k.  But you know what?  I'm ok with that.  I've decided I don't enjoy my personal rat race very much, to the point that I'm counting down the days (well, still weeks at this point) until I quit my job.  The tradeoff of my life energy for dollars is certainly reasonable in the short term to build up a decent stash and be off to a good start on the road to FI.  But it's sure not something I'm willing to do for the long term.  So I take that gauntlet and raise you one rose.  (Sounds like a spoof 80s hair band: gauntlets and roses....)

Well, you win $500k... :)

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #262 on: August 04, 2016, 06:22:22 AM »
It's not a race against each other it's a race against yourself to push yourself. If you don't see value and the fun of it. There are plenty of other things to do on these forums.
It's not that I don't see value or fun in it.  I just don't like people posting here about how bad they feel that they're not "winning" the race because other people are saving money so much faster.

Well, you win $500k... :)
Earning it.  Not winning it. ;-)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: August 04, 2016, 07:09:38 AM »
It's not that I don't see value or fun in it. I just don't like people posting here about how bad they feel that they're not "winning" the race because other people are saving money so much faster.

Is this actually happening?

Ezzo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »
I'm not going to win any speed races here, but

December 2014 - $315,000

March 2016 - $401,154
April 2016 -   $401,939
May 2016   -  $406,636
June 2016 -   $411,544
July 2016 -    $416,608

I've just started including my house equity in these figures, mainly because I passed a goal point in my investments and wanted to get a little head start on hitting the next one ;).  Currently trying to up my investing as a percentage of my income.  I'm awed in what I have managed over the last few months. 

Good going everyone, and keep meeting those targets
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:12:53 PM by Ezzo »

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
It's not that I don't see value or fun in it. I just don't like people posting here about how bad they feel that they're not "winning" the race because other people are saving money so much faster.

Is this actually happening?

Good question. Maybe I, and others, read too much into your harmless comment about a slower pace.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
Almost there. Just hit 400K a couple days ago. We have been increasing our networth 100K/year the last couple of years but I expect a small slow down. I should be around 500K in 15-18 months. I'm also now in a pension plan at work and don't know how to count that.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
That's how I look at it.  It's inspiring to see the other folks making progress too.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #268 on: August 04, 2016, 02:28:21 PM »
in the 45k range pre mortgage.  so we're not that mustachian.
You profligate shitbirds, you. (we actually spend a little more than that, and in a LCOL area too... lulz)

does anyone have a timing goal?

Yeah, as soon as muhfuggin' possible >.<
But I'm going for next summer when I quasi-FIRE. Or sooner, depending on some things that I don't wanna count on. Basically, we should be around 500 at the time when we go from 40+ hours to "the hours we feel like".
Full FIRE is way down the road after that but we like the phased approach because we like our work, just not the fixed show-and-go times.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: August 04, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »
Timing Goal
July 31, 2016 $280K
October 31, 2018 $500K

So estimated average net worth increase of $8150 / month. (No property value increases logged or estimated. Just investment contributions/gains and debt reduction.)

Nice.  Are you a super high earner?  or a super high savings rate-haver?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: August 04, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »
We are currently DINKs - but family planning. So while we have this fire hose of income, we're putting it to good use. We could stand to lower expenses. They are certainly high compared to MMM. Our non-mortgage expenses are closer to $40k / year.

Got it.  I'm pregnant with my first, and totally understand the last frantic push.

I live and work in Manhattan, and think I spend about 55K a year (which includes ~28K towards condo mortgage and other expenses, so maybe not all that bad).  Gearing up for 36K a year in daycare expenses!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: August 04, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »
Good question. Maybe I, and others, read too much into your harmless comment about a slower pace.

Mustachian problems - noting you will be increasing net worth at an expected pace of "only" $40k-50k a year comes across as complaining :P

BookWorm22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »

December 2014 - $315,000

March 2016 - $401,154
April 2016 -   $401,939
May 2016   -  $406,636
June 2016 -   $411,544
July 2016 -    $416,608

I've just started including my house equity in these figures, mainly because I passed a goal point in my investments and wanted to get a little head start on hitting the next one ;).  Currently trying to up my investing as a percentage of my income.  I'm awed in what I have managed over the last few months. 

Welcome Ezzo!  Looks like you are closing in on a milestone.  Good to see everyone else progressing.  It will be fun to watch if any of us beat our timelines. 

Ezzo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: August 04, 2016, 07:04:05 PM »

December 2014 - $315,000

March 2016 - $401,154
April 2016 -   $401,939
May 2016   -  $406,636
June 2016 -   $411,544
July 2016 -    $416,608

Welcome Ezzo!  Looks like you are closing in on a milestone.  Good to see everyone else progressing.  It will be fun to watch if any of us beat our timelines.
Thanks, It is exciting.  Even through it looks like most of the work was done in the "missing" period, it was under different circumstances, making it a lot easier.  I am a lot more proud of the last four months, even with the slower saving.  I'm taking a huge chunk of my income and really committing to it. 
Funny thing is that I do actually budget, not so I have "splurge money", but so I keep money for paying bills, else I will invest the lot and come up short. haha.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2016, 05:44:28 AM »
Invested (& Investable)
April 9, 2016:  $319,737
May 6, 2016: $325,093
June 8, 2016: $332,224
July 11, 2016:$337,287
August 8, 2016: $341,304

Net Worth (Including Home Equity)
April 9, 2016:  $619,505
May 6, 2016: $629,924
June 8, 2016: $645,682
July 11, 2016: $687,219 (huge Zillow estimate increase ?)
August 8, 2016: $695,238 (Zillow decreased about $6K since last month)

I completely appreciate the cautions on Zestimating one's house value but, since I'm unlikely to sell anytime in the near future, precision isn't that important to me.  I'm just trying to pay the sucker off by Oct. and then full steam on the 'stache.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »
I'll track this with invested assets only AND with home equity

Invested Assets
10/1/2015: $252K
4/1/2016: $284K

Net Worth (w/ Home Equity)
8/1/2014: $250K
4/1/2016: $393K

8/1/2016 Update
Liquid Assets: $312K
Net Worth (w/ Home Equity): $460K

Much of the 4 month increase is due to a reappraisal on the house that we got when refinancing and investment gains. YTD expenses are a bit higher than I'd like, but still helping the cause with a 40% savings rate.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »
April 2016 $251,521
May 2016 $263,275
June 2016 $266,151
July 2016 $279,087  Some nice progress this month.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »
We are about to "graduate" from the 100-250 thread.

Super excited to be joining this challenge :).  My wife and I are DINKs in our mid 20's with a combined yearly income of about 130k gross.  That may be decreasing soon due to a job situation.

I'm planning on updating our current number on a monthly basis while keeping track of quarterly numbers.  I am counting total NW so this includes about 50k in home equity.  The rest is in investments (approx. 200k)

End Of
2014-Q1:                $55,471
2014-Q2:                $78,319
2014-Q3:                $84,251
2014-Q4:                $106,801
2015-Q1:                $126,464
2015-Q2:                $145,996
2015-Q3:                $151,957
2015-Q4:                $203,486
2016-Q1:                $217,931
2016-Q2:                $233,784
Current:         $250,019

I'd like to hit 500k by the end of 2018 if we keep our current income level although that's up in the air.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
I'm just going for 350 by year-end, 400 before I blow this fascist popsicle stand.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: August 16, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »

December 2014 - $315,000

March 2016 - $401,154
April 2016 -   $401,939
May 2016   -  $406,636
June 2016 -   $411,544
July 2016 -    $416,608

Thanks, It is exciting.  Even through it looks like most of the work was done in the "missing" period, it was under different circumstances, making it a lot easier.  I am a lot more proud of the last four months, even with the slower saving.  I'm taking a huge chunk of my income and really committing to it. 
Funny thing is that I do actually budget, not so I have "splurge money", but so I keep money for paying bills, else I will invest the lot and come up short. haha.

i have started to realize i must do the same thing b/c i force a large sum in to taxable monthly that pushes my limits and force me to spend less but when you put pen to paper i actually dont have that much available unless i work OT or run some side hustles.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2016, 08:38:54 PM »

This is how we do. I love the added pressure that comes with almost emptying the checking account each month.

Only 9 days until I join you all... wicked excited!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2016, 07:09:20 AM »

This is how we do. I love the added pressure that comes with almost emptying the checking account each month.

Only 9 days until I join you all... wicked excited!

We've been flirting with the number too for a while now. We briefly past it, bought a house (which I value at about 94% of appraised value), but now the market gains have pushed us back up close to the threshold already again. It'll be a few months before we reliably get over but we're definitely close and I think at month end we will bump over.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »
I'm afraid I'll be posting a disappointing report next month.  Totaled the car, got a new(ish) one.  As Trump would tweet:  "Sad!"

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »
I'm afraid I'll be posting a disappointing report next month.  Totaled the car, got a new(ish) one.  As Trump would tweet:  "Sad!"

Hope you and yours are healthy, it sounds like you are okay.

As far as I'm concerned, you can lose a heck of a lot more than money if your car is totaled. Remember you only have one body, but you can always make more money! :)

JGS

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
True that.  It's cliche, but every new day from here forward is a gift.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: August 31, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »
It was a good month for investments (and cash savings grew a little too) but another big drop in Zillow home value offset those gains. So, our NW increased only modestly in August. But, there is still something to celebrate: year-over-year NW and investment increases both topped $100k. I think $350k NW is possible this year. Maybe $500k by the end of next.

Nov 15: $255k
Dec 15: $256k
Jan 16: $241k
Feb 16: $255k
Mar 16: $277k
Apr 16: $290k
May 16: $294k
Jun 16: $305k
Jul 16: $330k
Aug 16: $336k

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »
Coming back to update...

2015 DEC: 252k
2016 JAN: 260k
2016 FEB: 281k
2016 MAR: 285k
2016 APR: 298k
2016 MAY: 305k
2016 JUNE: 307k
2016 JULY: 320k (+13k) between our taxable contributions and markets going up, it was a good month!
2016 AUG: 326k (+6k) We had a $3,000 house repair, so that slowed us down a bit we might drop another 2k today given that the market is down .6%

+$74,000 this year so far. Aiming, for just under 100k in any given year of savings.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »
Man, everyone here is killing it!  We had another fairly good month with roughly an 8k gain.

It blows my mind how some people have frequent 15-20k monthly gains.  You guys rock!

We may have a little setback next month as we are looking to buy a "new to us" car and sell another car.  It should only be a 3-4k hit but I'm more concerned about how long it will take us to sell our current car.

Anyways, updated numbers below.

End Of
2014-Q1:                $55,471
2014-Q2:                $78,319
2014-Q3:                $84,251
2014-Q4:                $106,801
2015-Q1:                $126,464
2015-Q2:                $145,996
2015-Q3:                $151,957
2015-Q4:                $203,486
2016-Q1:                $217,931
2016-Q2:                $233,784

Current:                  $253,180

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2016, 03:18:31 PM »
8/1 - 375k
9/1 - 382k

up 7k this month.

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: September 01, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »
Hoping to be at $500,000 in 08/2018.

July 2016 - $257,306
August 2016 - $264,625

Positive trend is always a good trend!

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: September 01, 2016, 07:54:03 AM »
Nov 31, 2015: $254,178
Dec 31, 2015: $258,054
Jan 31, 2016: $264,247
Feb 29, 2016: $271,241
Mar 31, 2016: $300,034
Apr 30, 2016: $317,839
May 31, 2016: $330,411
Jun 30, 2016:  $333,663
Jul 31, 2016:   $348,945
Aug 31, 2016: $359,418

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Did not know these existed.  I'll join in, but we just rejiggered our free cash flow to go from investing to saving for kids college for the next 10 years so thinking we are going to hit a wall, but will be fun to see.  I will just post quarterly numbers for progression.  We also had an unusual situation for thee months in 2016 where I switched jobs and had severance coming in while working new job (good problem to have for investing). 

1/1/2015 - $319,018
3/31/2015 - $358,647
6/30/2015 - $350,887
9/30/2015 - $329,044
12/31/2015 - $340,246
3/31/2016 - $390,030
6/30/2016 - $408.983
9/1/2016 - $447,834
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:08:05 AM by caracarn »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
This will be a good month for us... let me count the ways:

- I'm doing most of my ANG training days for the year (double-dipping w/ paid military leave)
- Rental partnership #2 should close its first acquisition, with me as buyer's agent, earning commission AND adding investment income
- Just cashed an unexpected ~$4k reimbursement for a past fuckup that I thought I'd never see back
- Rental partnership #1, just finished renovating a couple of key properties and is rapidly landing new tenants at higher rents - profit +++

All told, probably adding five figures. That, and some single stock holdings are primed for buyouts and other good news, which adds a nice tailwind. Last snapshot was $320K, projecting $340k by 9/30 and $360k by year end.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
December 2013: 142K
March 2014: 178K
June 2014: 191K
September 2014: 205K
December 2014: 231K
March 2015: 232K (I self financed half a wedding this quarter, and began subsidizing now husband)
June 2015: 249K
September 2015: 272K (a new~30K in debt showed in this quarter from the first half of a 60K roof assessment I didn't have cash on hand for)
December 2015: 326K
March 2016: 342K (including some trades that will go through at close of business, I think)
April 2016: 345K (so. slow.  investing/paying off between 8 and 10K a month and I'm not sure where it's going!  I think my home's zillow value was skewing my total)
May 2016: 352K
June 2016: 389K
July 2016: 415K 
August 2016: 478K

I really feel like I'm missing something here.  It doesn't make sense.  On the other thread where I track sans mortgage and house, I'm up ~10K this month.  It looks like zestimate thinks my condo has gone up steeply in value.  It's skewing everything.  I don't really want to create a third tracking mechanism that includes the condo but at my own valuation, so I guess I will stick with my zestimate value for now, and also just accept it when it drops down precipitously in a few months. 

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »

August 2016: 478K

I really feel like I'm missing something here.  It doesn't make sense.  On the other thread where I track sans mortgage and house, I'm up ~10K this month.  It looks like zestimate thinks my condo has gone up steeply in value.  It's skewing everything.  I don't really want to create a third tracking mechanism that includes the condo but at my own valuation, so I guess I will stick with my zestimate value for now, and also just accept it when it drops down precipitously in a few months.

I would recommend you don't use zestimate and just take your home mortgage & principal value, and add a % or two each year.  There's no reason to use a market estimate until you actually sell it, and then you can adjust for the actual change when it is realized.  Using zestimate is the equivalent of my buddy telling me he would pay me $20k for my $10k car... it's not reality until you have that cash in hand.

Personally, I just sold my house and zestimate said it was worth $330k, meanwhile it sold for $305k in a "hot" market.  That's a $25k increase from what I bought it for 7 years ago but I also paid $20k in closing costs netting me $5k (probably put $40k into it as well...).  So did $50k just evaporate from my net worth?  Or, did it never exist in the first place?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »
Realtor (side gig) here... I hate Zestimates. They don't have any property condition or amenity details to put prices into context, and they're heavily dependent on recent data, which means just one outlier can really skew things. They can give you a decent idea of recent trends, or they can give you wildly unrealistic expectations.
I like the above... assume little or no appreciation, unless you have really good hard data that's been through some analysis. That way, if your market really does blow through the roof, it'll be a nice surprise... until then, you won't be counting on your home to make your magic number, etc.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
Jan. 1, 2016 = 374
Feb. 1, 2016 = 373
Mar. 1, 2016 = 379
Apr. 1, 2016 = 391
May 1, 2016 = 398
June 1, 2016 = 406
July 1, 2016 = 415
Aug. 1, 2016 = 426
Sept. 1, 2016 = 424

Bought a car. 

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
I would recommend you don't use zestimate and just take your home mortgage & principal value, and add a % or two each year.  There's no reason to use a market estimate until you actually sell it, and then you can adjust for the actual change when it is realized.  Using zestimate is the equivalent of my buddy telling me he would pay me $20k for my $10k car... it's not reality until you have that cash in hand.

I'm going to start doing this, using a 1% increase each year. My zestimate has jumped around erratically in the 18 months I've owned the house, maybe due to the very small market size.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 02, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »
3/1/16
NW $414K
Liquid $322K

6/1/16
NW $457K
Liquid $350K

7/1/16
NW $466K
Liquid $356K

I'm likely to be flat for a couple months due to house renovations. Very little will be going into savings.

8/1/16
NW $477K
Liquid $371K

9/1/16
NW $483K
Liquid $362K

Liquid decrease is due to ongoing major house renovation; accounting for that at cost until complete and appraised, but there will likely be a bit of equity hiding in there.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: September 02, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »
Nov 15: $236k
Dec 15: $257k
Jan 16: $259k
Feb 16: $275k
Mar 16: $295k
Apr 16: $305k
May 16: $315k
Jun 16: $320k