Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 20334 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #500 on: May 03, 2021, 07:24:43 PM »
@Malcat ---that truly sounds like something to be happy about. Glad your meeting with the team went well!

@Freedomin5 --might have to try those, i just looked up a recipe. Looks like it could be a good hiking treat

Had a long walk with a friend today she's one of the only people I've been walking with and happens to be a great cook (and fed me a fantastic pasta salad afterwards!).
Just a nice connection

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: May 03, 2021, 07:51:41 PM »
Apple trees started blossoming and I got some asparagus from the garden. We accepted an offer on our house today but we get to be here for my favorite time of year.

Malcat

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #502 on: May 03, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »
@Malcat ---that truly sounds like something to be happy about. Glad your meeting with the team went well!

It is!

Every time I see a doctor DH comments "I don't know how anyone with complex health illness who isn't a doctor themselves gets decent medical care" and I always reply "a lot of them don't"

I am really happy. It's such a huge relief to not have to anticipate fighting.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
  • Knit, bike, breathe. Repeat. - 94
« Reply #503 on: May 03, 2021, 11:30:32 PM »
Oh, wow, @Malcat that just kinda made my day, too!

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2021, 10:01:58 AM »
My second attempt at making a new dessert turned out really well.

My addled Monday brain read this as "a new desert."  It was an odd mental picture.   

What did you make?

Itís a Chinese dessert called snowflake pastry. Itís like Rice Krispie squares, except instead of Rice Krispies, you use butter biscuits/crackers, and you can add dried fruit like freeze dried strawberries or dried cranberries.

If it's what I'm seeing when I do an internet search, it looks pretty good.  Is it hard to make? 

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2021, 03:52:11 PM »
Itís very easy to make.

Melt 50g of butter in a large nonstick pan.
Add 200g of marshmallows to the pan and melt the marshmallows.
Add 50g of dried milk powder and mix well.
Turn off the stove.
Add 220g of small biscuits. I use a specific type called 小奇福, but any type of sweet, buttery cracker/biscuit should work, like Maria milk biscuits.
Add in 40g dried fruit.

You can also add peanuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, and other nuts/seeds, per your preference.

Sprinkle a large pan with milk powder. (I also line with parchment paper before sprinkling so it doesnít stick to the pan.)
Flatten the snowflake pastry onto the pan to approx. 1-inch thickness. You can use a rolling pin but I just use my hands to press the marshmallow combo into the pan. Sprinkle generously with milk powder. Wait for it to cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #506 on: May 05, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
Yesterday's happiness was freshly vacuumed rugs.

Today's is seeing the picture of the beautiful and delicious looking snowflake pastry, thanks @Freedomin5

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: May 05, 2021, 09:25:08 AM »
We forgot our baby plants seedlings outside last night and my SO remembered/brought them in at 3:30am. Thankfully they all look fine after their cool weather exposure :)
 phew!

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: May 05, 2021, 12:49:31 PM »
@Freedomin5 those snowflake pastries look delicious!!! And what a wonderful partner you have @Serendip

We just found out that a friend of ours whom we haven't seen in a while will be visiting family next month near where my mom lives, so we are now planning a trip to be there at the same time.  She has a two-year-old daughter whom I haven't even met yet.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #509 on: May 05, 2021, 04:47:58 PM »
Had fun sharing the pastries with coworkers and was relieved that people liked them. Chinese desserts tend to be hit or miss with the expat crowd.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2021, 04:58:57 PM »
My other recent happy event is learning that DD (age 7) solved her own problem. DD is a bit of a scatterbrain and has had difficulty remembering which days her after school activities (ASAs) are on. On ASA days, she is supposed to go to the gym at school to wait for her ASA teacher. Sheís gotten flustered and upset a few times for going into the pick-up line instead of the ASA line, and then gotten upset at me for not reminding her that it was an ASA day.

Last night, I noticed that she had written ďasaĒ beside the Tuesday and Thursday heading in her homework book. When I asked her, she said she came up with that idea by herself to help her remember when she had an ASA. Iím very happy that sheís taking the initiative to solve the problem instead of blaming others.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #511 on: May 06, 2021, 02:36:58 AM »
I am so happy that I had to cut the grass for the first time yesterday. Last fall with putting a new patio in behind the house, new walk way in front of the house and another area of concrete for 2 more cars in doing all that I just decided with the new pitches and stuff to bring in truck loads of topsoil and re-seed entire yard since the grass wasnt the best anyhow. Then this spring I started watering about 5 weeks ago, adding seed and fertilizer and yesterday i had to cut it and other than some patch areas which is still better than original I have a nice lawn cutting in and also did a lot of planting. Having to move sprinklers around everyday because of a dry spring gets old! So happy I can see the light!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #512 on: May 06, 2021, 02:59:39 AM »
There is a new thread where people are commenting how pessimistic the forum has become over the years. They need to come on over here!

Today's happiness is twofold: 1) organised a meetup with my favourite MMM journaler for July; and 2) went for a beach run and quick dip as it was a gloriously sunny autumnal day. Life is good, even when it is bad.

RainyDay

• Stubble
« Reply #513 on: May 06, 2021, 05:55:41 AM »
We have a pair of hummingbirds that have taken up residence in our yard, and they arrive daily (or hourly!) to drink from our feeders.  We also have a box turtle who I'm pretty sure is a repeat guest from last year.  So happy to have the critters around!

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #514 on: May 06, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »
My other recent happy event is learning that DD (age 7) solved her own problem. DD is a bit of a scatterbrain and has had difficulty remembering which days her after school activities (ASAs) are on. On ASA days, she is supposed to go to the gym at school to wait for her ASA teacher. Sheís gotten flustered and upset a few times for going into the pick-up line instead of the ASA line, and then gotten upset at me for not reminding her that it was an ASA day.

Last night, I noticed that she had written ďasaĒ beside the Tuesday and Thursday heading in her homework book. When I asked her, she said she came up with that idea by herself to help her remember when she had an ASA. Iím very happy that sheís taking the initiative to solve the problem instead of blaming others.
Wow, that's impressive!  I love when my daughter (5) figures out her own solutions.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: May 06, 2021, 07:37:15 AM »
Bought hiking boots yesterday (mine have been needing replacing, they are 14 years old!) and a motto on the box said "no place too far". Somehow this made me very happy.

It was a moment of appreciation for the act of walking and how all sorts of people in all sorts of places in all types of shoes (boots, sandals, gumboots, bare feet, etc) engage daily in moving these precious body-ships around via simple self-propelled locomotion.

Malcat

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: May 06, 2021, 09:07:30 AM »
There is a new thread where people are commenting how pessimistic the forum has become over the years. They need to come on over here!

Today's happiness is twofold: 1) organised a meetup with my favourite MMM journaler for July; and 2) went for a beach run and quick dip as it was a gloriously sunny autumnal day. Life is good, even when it is bad.

Pessimistic about the markets.

They might come here and talk about the pretty bird they saw, and then go into another thread and say that everyone needs to buckle up and OMY because inflation is going ruin everyone's plans.

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »

Pessimistic about the markets.

They might come here and talk about the pretty bird they saw, and then go into another thread and say that everyone needs to buckle up and OMY because inflation is going ruin everyone's plans.

I thought I saw some golden eagles yesterday but I overheard a man pointing them out to his companion and saying that they were buzzards. My vision is corrected to nearly 20/20 and I had my glasses on, so I doubt that he could see better than me. They were really too far away to tell which one they were.  So maybe I saw pretty birds, maybe I didn't. The ugly birds are necessary too.  I had a nice hike either way.

I don't read those threads because I'm at a point where I don't really care what the markets do.  I don't see how OMY-ing now would be more beneficial than just waiting to see if something happens and going back to work if needed at the time.   

nessness

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #518 on: May 07, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »
I got my second Covid vaccine yesterday, and feel totally fine except for a sore arm. I'm super grateful to have it out of the way.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #519 on: May 07, 2021, 04:57:09 PM »
I had a lovely time of snuggling and playing with my five year old on the couch.  And I actually felt happy!

oneday

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #520 on: May 07, 2021, 08:07:03 PM »
Tried it a new recipe and while the fish doesn't have quite the right texture or flavor, I'm not hungry. The recipe is a keeper overall, too. Easy, healthy, enough for a bit of leftovers but not too much. And I feel like a grown up, cooking fish. Yay!

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: May 07, 2021, 08:24:06 PM »
Tried it a new recipe and while the fish doesn't have quite the right texture or flavor, I'm not hungry. The recipe is a keeper overall, too. Easy, healthy, enough for a bit of leftovers but not too much. And I feel like a grown up, cooking fish. Yay!

Fish is difficult. The only luck I have is breading and pan frying the fillets. I tend to overcook if I bake them.

I had a nice visit with my friend and her horses and cats yesterday evening. We sat on the deck in the sunshine and had a glass of wine (just a little one), and one of the cats sat in my lap and purred. So relaxing!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: May 07, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »
Lovely clients at work today. It makes such a difference when people are pleasant to deal with :)

Plus, we had a big rainstorm last night, then the sun came out then the rain fell again (hard!), a bit of hail,  now the sun in shining & setting into a beautiful evening..

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #523 on: Today at 02:34:29 AM »
I had a truly splendid day with friends, art, delicious food, sitting in the sunshine and people watching and it was just so bloody nice to be out of the house and in the world.

Trifele

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #524 on: Today at 03:01:36 AM »
Some friends have invited us over to have a picnic in their yard this afternoon.  I'm really happy just looking forward to it. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #525 on: Today at 03:08:53 AM »
Another glorious autumn day. Went for a 90 minute walk near paddocks filled with beautiful jersey cows. The sun was shining, the grass was vivid green and I didn't see another soul. My idea of heaven.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #526 on: Today at 04:00:25 AM »
Thereís a paved running/bike trail near the river canal. We found out today that itís been extended. Canít wait to explore it and see where it leads.