Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 83439 times)

Vasilisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #1050 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
Yeah! I'm also joining the baggy clothes camp and am trying to make do for awhile longer.

Been pretty pleased about my eating habits lately- getting in a lot of veggies and fruit and even met my protein goal yesterday which has been difficult. Want to focus on getting daily fiber and protein goal met. It has been a struggle to eliminate snacking between good meals but when I'm not stressed/bored at work it's been easier. At the moment, I feel better when not eating frequently. Mentally and emotionally so ready to FIRE, just wish my finances were there too.

I'm also upping my daily movement, starting with a 5-10 minute "yoga with Adrienne" video on youtube (thanks for whoever recommended it!) in the morning. In the afternoon I've been trying out the various digital workout videos I can check out from the library- enjoying the challenge! How do you enjoy being active on a daily basis? What works for you?

What's been successful for you lately?

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1051 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
I love this thread.  Not a fan of threads about losing weight or beating yourself up over fitness goals.

My goal for this year was to be healthier by eating more fruit and veg, limiting alcohol intake, walking to and from work and going to the gym three times a week (twice for my pilates class and once to go on one of the exercise machines).  I'm lucky in that gym membership is covered by my work.

So far so good.  I've had serious health problems in the past but feeling pretty good now.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1052 on: September 18, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
2 naps today.

Lots of rides places

Bowl of kale

Bowl of squash.souo

2nd day in a row of Not Buying Chips.

Tomorrow looks rough on the nap.front.

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1053 on: September 19, 2018, 06:40:18 AM »
I am at a little over a week of no added sugar, except for one planned treat last weekend. Go me! This is huge.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1054 on: September 19, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
Serendip just opened a new One Song short-term thread (see my sig), if anyone needs help getting healthy choices done over the next couple of weeks.

Me, I just burst out laughing because I am HAVING SO MUCH FUN at work! I was off sick for 36 hours and woke this morning aware that I was good to go again. Some of my One Song focus today will need to be "chilling" so I don't overdo things in my newfound health and excitement.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1055 on: September 20, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »
I'm laid off running for a self-imposed toe rest. Dropping furniture on ones toe is not good. I will starting biking because now my bike is near a trail where it can be useful. And I'm excited to get going...but it is just too hot...like near 100F hot. And I'm not going out to bike in the sun at that temperature. So, I'm being good and biding my time...cold front is due in tonight so perhaps Sunday I can get out.

And I've quit caffeine...again... I would like it to stick this time because I hate the headaches if I miss and the poor sleep. DH is not helping me with meal planning some...hopefully we can work out something that is satisfying and isn't just bread. That has been our default, go to food group since it is relatively cheap and easy to find.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1056 on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »
@Mongoose, feel better!

I actually came on here to talk about caffeine, too! I don't think this is the right time in my life to eliminate but I want to drop from 2-3 cups to more like 1, maybe 1 1/2 on a long day. Today I am trying to have half cups at the times I usually drink full cups. Sigh.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: September 21, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
Thanks. And that should've read DH is now helping with meal planning. We had aN awesome, inexpensive homemade burrito picnic at the little league park last night.

I did get a caffeine headache but not until yesterday afternoon. Back to quarter caf to taper longer. I feel for you La Bibliotecaria Feroz on dropping back. It's tough, especially with super long days and busy schedules. I can't afford to be a giant, unproductive slug and naps are not a viable option either.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: September 21, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
Super burnt out on my go-to bean and tofu recipes.  Also on anything involving brown rice, which is probably the only carb I eat these days other than oatmeal for breakfast. Anyone have some favorite vegetarian high-protein low-carb QUICK recipes that taste good and are not dry? Presently choking down the remains of some red beans and rice that I made that turned out terribly. Yuck.

I am proud that I've been making it to my weekly dance class even though my personal life has had a lot of upheaval lately.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1059 on: September 21, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
Not sure about low-carb vegetarian proteins -beans, etc, are relatively high in carbohydrates. But assuming you just mean vegetarian proteins, regardless of carbs, how about a bowl of curried lentils? We often do a quick one of just canned lentils + amazing curry paste, but you can get fancier with a hearty curried lentil stew chock full of vegetables.

zygote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1060 on: September 21, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »
Depending on your definition of quick, I really like this stew:

https://deliciouslyella.com/2015/09/26/sweet-potato-and-chickpea-stew/

It's very amenable to moderation if you don't like all the ingredients (I skip the eggplant) or want to make it easier. As long as you throw in a can of chick peas, a can of tomatoes, some coconut milk, and the spices, you can add whatever else you want and just let it simmer. The sweet potato adds good flavor, but you could leave it out or substitute with something like butternut squash to cut down on the carbs. You could probably get away with not steaming first if that's a pain and just let it simmer longer. It does take a while to cook, but is good leftover/frozen and doesn't involve a lot of active effort while it's on the stove.

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #1061 on: September 21, 2018, 12:15:08 PM »
I LOVE roasted veggies with just olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Next to soy and lentils, I thought that broccoli, sweet corn, potatoes (with skin), brussels sprouts, and artichoke all had high-ish protein value.

One of my favorite "clean out the old veggies" recipes is a homemade dairy free pizza.  Homemade dough, a pesto-ish "sauce" (not very saucy and I don't like actual pesto), and all the veggies that need to be used, then liberally drizzle olive oil on the top and bake.  It isn't the easiest to eat because there is no cheese to hold it all together but it is delicious! The most liked veggies that go on there are broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, tomato slices or wedges, and spinach.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #1062 on: September 21, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
Do you do roasted tofu?  I can eat that plain for a snack.

Cut the tofu horizontally and press for half an hour or so - I put a stack of plates on top and let it sit (or you could probably skip this if it's a pain, or just press hard for a few seconds to get at least some liquid out).

Cut the tofu into little chunks - I usually do about 1 x .5 x .25 inches.

Mix a marinade - I usually do Asian:  soy sauce, black or rice vinegar, sesame oil, a few squirts of sriracha, chili-garlic paste, etc.

Let marinate in the fridge for several hours up to a few days.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (?) or so, stirring a few times, until the tofu starts to get kind of brown and crispy.

I usually make a big batch, since it holds in the fridge well and also freezes well.  I eat handfuls of it as a snack if I'm really hungry, but usually add it to veggies in a stir-fry or put it on top of a salad.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1063 on: September 21, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »
Not sure about low-carb vegetarian proteins -beans, etc, are relatively high in carbohydrates. But assuming you just mean vegetarian proteins, regardless of carbs, how about a bowl of curried lentils? We often do a quick one of just canned lentils + amazing curry paste, but you can get fancier with a hearty curried lentil stew chock full of vegetables.

Right, I meant vegetarian protein recipes that don't contain grains. Should've been more precise, as a vegetarian I feel like I have to accept a certain amount of carbs are going to come with my protein unless I avoid legumes and get it all from soy.

Lentil curry - hmm, haven't done that in a while. It's getting cooler here so that sounds pretty good. That's been another struggle - hearty bean dishes haven't tasted good to me when it's been hot out.

Depending on your definition of quick, I really like this stew:

https://deliciouslyella.com/2015/09/26/sweet-potato-and-chickpea-stew/

It's very amenable to moderation if you don't like all the ingredients (I skip the eggplant) or want to make it easier. As long as you throw in a can of chick peas, a can of tomatoes, some coconut milk, and the spices, you can add whatever else you want and just let it simmer. The sweet potato adds good flavor, but you could leave it out or substitute with something like butternut squash to cut down on the carbs. You could probably get away with not steaming first if that's a pain and just let it simmer longer. It does take a while to cook, but is good leftover/frozen and doesn't involve a lot of active effort while it's on the stove.

That sounds pretty good too! I like eggplant and am meh on sweet potatoes. I could probably adapt this.

One of my favorite "clean out the old veggies" recipes is a homemade dairy free pizza.  Homemade dough, a pesto-ish "sauce" (not very saucy and I don't like actual pesto), and all the veggies that need to be used, then liberally drizzle olive oil on the top and bake.  It isn't the easiest to eat because there is no cheese to hold it all together but it is delicious! The most liked veggies that go on there are broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, tomato slices or wedges, and spinach.

Hmm, I have a lot of homemade pesto in the freezer, from my basil plants. I probably would put some cheese on it, though. Maybe some crumbles of goat cheese. Yum!

Do you do roasted tofu?  I can eat that plain for a snack.

I have not roasted tofu! Usually I throw it in a stir fry and fry it in a little olive oil. If you roll it in cornstarch first it gets crisp. I have a lot of homemade fruit-based barbecue sauces that I canned this summer and I bet those would make great marinades. Does the tofu end up crunchy, or chewy, or....?

Now I'm hungry. This all gives me fodder for my weekend shopping!

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #1064 on: September 22, 2018, 06:18:14 AM »
Re:  roasted tofu - It gets more chewy, and firmer (I use extra-firm to start out with) and the best part is how much more flavorful it gets.  (That's why cutting it into the little pieces before marinating it is important.)

I think the texture might be better overall if you fry it, but I don't like frying things (annoys me) and I make like 3 lbs worth of tofu at once and freeze a bunch of it and that suits my lazy side, haha.