Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1300928 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!
« Reply #7850 on: April 23, 2024, 08:13:20 AM »
Not ExFlyboy, but we had some pretty good sushi downtown during our visit!  The park by the river is a nice walk (we stayed at the cheapish hotel just a couple of blocks north of the bridge -- I think it is a Holiday Inn Express?).

Congrats on having made the decision and hope it turns out to be a great fit for your kiddo!

thanks! We are excited to spend time visiting. I grew up not super far away & have never spent time there. I think it will be a great fit for him, and also super happy the decision is made! On to the same process for DS17. ;-)

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7851 on: April 23, 2024, 10:39:29 AM »
In this trip, I splurged and paid for an extra night to ensure that a room would be waiting for us when we arrived in the morning - luxe travel for sure :-)

We did the same for a recent trip with overnight international flight...then our flight times were shifted late enough that it wouldn't have mattered, but additional peace of mind is definitely worth a few extra $.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7852 on: April 23, 2024, 05:14:54 PM »
Good job, @Dicey!  I paid too much last tax year and this one.  I can't find any property to buy that makes sense and mortgage rates make the numbers worse.  Grrrr...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #7853 on: April 23, 2024, 06:12:28 PM »
I’m bougie economy-floor foot sling, the face cushion you blow up, drugs to knock me out, and a lumbar  pillow. I’m also 5’7” and 150, so not “that” big, and the neck pillow with noise canceling headphones. I probably would put a day in between legs of a 24 hour travel and add an extra week of hotels for the $1K per ticket cost.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7854 on: April 24, 2024, 06:35:23 AM »
@2sk22 how long was the flight? I am usually in the “economy flight for luxury rooms” camp because flight times are short and business class isn’t “that” much better than economy.
It's around 24 hours from the east coast to get there - maybe a bit less if you get a nonstop to Singapore (pricier ticket) and get a good connection for the 2+ hour flight to Jakarta.  My return via Jeddah left at 1:20pm EDT and arrived at 3:10pm the next day and included a three hour layover.  The other times I've been there I had traveled via Tokyo and it was about the same travel time.

ETA: Oops, sorry, @couponvan , thought you were asking about the flight of @2sk22 to Indonesia, I forgot about the earlier post...

This reminded me - I visited Indonesia back in 1989 and had a wonderful time. I took the day train from Jakarta to Bandung which was over air-conditioned like you mentioned and shivered in a T-shirt. Apart from Java, I also visited Padang on the west coast of Sumatra and Bali (of course).

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7855 on: April 30, 2024, 04:16:23 PM »
So I thought this might be funny to tell.

What would you think the OP of this thread who is now retired with around $4.4M and paid off everything does?  Well, I was at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore and they had a 10 cent sale on all media.  So I went in with my phone and a box and went through their CDs one by one on my decluttr app (they buy this stuff).  When the box was full and I was done with doing this, I brought my 39 CDs to the counter, paid about $4 with tax and then got the label and mailed these to decluttr for $21 to me.

Exciting, eh?  I like doing stuff like this and figured some of you do too.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #7856 on: April 30, 2024, 06:23:54 PM »

What would you think the OP of this thread who is now retired with around $4.4M and paid off everything does?  Well, I was at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore and they had a 10 cent sale on all media.  So I went in with my phone and a box and went through their CDs one by one on my decluttr app (they buy this stuff).  When the box was full and I was done with doing this, I brought my 39 CDs to the counter, paid about $4 with tax and then got the label and mailed these to decluttr for $21 to me.

Penny wise….but you had fun! I do this silly stuff too. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7857 on: April 30, 2024, 07:59:52 PM »

Badass!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7858 on: May 02, 2024, 08:23:20 AM »

I wish my local Restore sold CDs.  Isn't it just kind of fun to find "diamonds in the rough?"  It's a little like gold mining and finding a nugget.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7859 on: May 02, 2024, 04:08:41 PM »
I don’t do thrift store.  Mainly because I’m not interested in the whole treasure hunt thing.  I don’t even really like places like TJMaxx.  I’m more of the I need black pants, go find them quickly type of person.  And if I know a brand I like and I can quickly go there even better.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!