Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1313063 times)

baludon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!
« Reply #7200 on: September 23, 2023, 09:07:19 PM »
Where we have ended up is I will be able to work from Australia 3 months a year, and Paris 9 months a year. Work will pay for flights and an apartment in Paris. I will get 6 weeks leave a year. The money is good. The company will pay for private tuition to learn French.

So one more paid adventure in my life! We are moving to France…. Kind of…. I have already secured some tickets for the Olympics next year and plan on enjoying a couple of years in Europe.

I have drifted so far away from what I had in mind when I first discovered FIRE. But at least I will never need to worry about money.

That sounds like such a lucrative offer, anyone would have a hard time passing it up.

But I have to say that retirement has completely changed me - I now value independence so much that I just hate the thought of having to do what somebody tells me to do. I recently turned down a generous offer from my old company to come back for a stint. The happiest time of the day is right after breakfast when I figure out what I want to do for the day. Those of you who have kids, will recognize this :-)

Though I have only been retired for six months, I feel the same.  I loved my previous job but I would not go back. The feeling I get when I get up in the morning and see that my day is free and I get to do a lot of nothing if I want is liberating.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7201 on: September 24, 2023, 12:18:37 PM »
Where we have ended up is I will be able to work from Australia 3 months a year, and Paris 9 months a year. Work will pay for flights and an apartment in Paris. I will get 6 weeks leave a year. The money is good. The company will pay for private tuition to learn French.

So one more paid adventure in my life! We are moving to France…. Kind of…. I have already secured some tickets for the Olympics next year and plan on enjoying a couple of years in Europe.

I have drifted so far away from what I had in mind when I first discovered FIRE. But at least I will never need to worry about money.

That sounds like such a lucrative offer, anyone would have a hard time passing it up.

But I have to say that retirement has completely changed me - I now value independence so much that I just hate the thought of having to do what somebody tells me to do. I recently turned down a generous offer from my old company to come back for a stint. The happiest time of the day is right after breakfast when I figure out what I want to do for the day. Those of you who have kids, will recognize this :-)

I went back to.work.last November after 3+ years of fire,   that is my number one issue....I hate not controlling my time (and the commute on top of it).  I am good at the job and if you leave out all the corporate bs/commute and fous just on the pure role of what I do I like it, but even then I find myself not motivated and sometimes self-sabotaging in hopes of being asked to leave solely bc of the "controlling myself" issue.   

I am taking it month to month right now.   

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7202 on: September 24, 2023, 01:24:09 PM »
Sadly I am a FIRE flop. FIRE was in my grasp and I dropped the ball.

But I would say my tale is a story of the power of being FI.

Quick recap: I was notified I would be made redundant. Then Paris HQ reached out to say they still wanted me in the company and had another position in mind for me. I declined.

Then came the improved offer.

If it's exciting and a bit of an adventure then go for it. If it stops being fun and you want to quit you have the option. Leaning French sounds great actually.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7203 on: September 24, 2023, 02:23:17 PM »
Sadly I am a FIRE flop. FIRE was in my grasp and I dropped the ball.

But I would say my tale is a story of the power of being FI.

Quick recap: I was notified I would be made redundant. Then Paris HQ reached out to say they still wanted me in the company and had another position in mind for me. I declined.

Then came the improved offer.

If it's exciting and a bit of an adventure then go for it. If it stops being fun and you want to quit you have the option. Leaning French sounds great actually.

Given where Bateaux lives, I assume any additional French he learns would be très facile.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7204 on: September 24, 2023, 02:38:22 PM »

Yeah, this is the great thing about FI - there are no bad choices.  Even if you make a bad decision, it's fairly easy to fix.

FWIW, I'm the counterbalance to people who relish their free time - I find myself to be more satisfied at the end of the week with the current structure and tradeoffs.  My time is precious, it's good to know I still have the emergency relief valve of ER to reclaim more of it, but I'm also glad I didn't pull the ripcord too early and become complacent about endless time.  In another way of looking at it - right now money is unconstrained, and I'm enjoying exploring new things while the income above and beyond FI continues to flow freely, things that I might not do without the firehose of money.  I look forward to ER, but also realize that there is a honeymoon period.  I have seen many people's new thrill of 'retirement' fade after 10 years...  it just becomes normal.  Like anything, moderation is key.  If ER is actually the optimal lifestyle for the majority, it will become the norm.  For example, if being a hippie was so great, we'd see more hippies.  Instead, being DINKs is more common nowadays.  But we're always at a unique time in history full of change - new technologies, shifting social norms, etc.  Nobody knows for sure what will be the best choices for the years ahead.  For example, I was extra glad to have a job during the pandemic...  Who knows if another pandemic (or resurgence of Covid) is coming, shutting down international travel again...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7205 on: September 24, 2023, 02:47:11 PM »
I'm kind of enjoying being FI-not-RE.  Having an income is great, but knowing that I can walk away from it is liberating also.  I'm happy that we have kept our spending in check over time, and we're at fat-FIRE levels these days, so working allows the stash to do its own work, and we add to it, and meanwhile we can do the things we like to do without any concerns.  I still sometimes want RE, and who knows, maybe I'll choose that option sooner rather than later, but I think what I like best about FI is the ability to choose the obligations I take on, even through work.  And meeting those obligations becomes more about integrity and good relationships than about the need for money, so I don't have to sell my soul for the dollar.

ETA:  I do worry that I'm becoming increasingly out of touch with the economic reality for most people.  Even people I work with who have had salaries larger than mine and for longer, do not seem to have the long term investment assets and short term cushion that we have.  They could, but they chose differently.  I'm finding I need to be careful before spilling to much.

I do have a couple friends who have 7-figure net worths and similar lifestyles (make a lot and spend a lot less than they make).  It's nice to be able to compare notes on taxes or investments or other things without judgement.  I can't do that with some other friends who are kind of just getting by, or with the couple of friends who make so much more and spend so much more that it's just sort of sensitive and difficult to talk about.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 02:53:45 PM by Taran Wanderer »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7206 on: September 24, 2023, 02:48:54 PM »
I’ve been retired for 13 years, and I disagree. I’m still thrilled that I’m retired. Every day.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7207 on: September 24, 2023, 02:54:23 PM »
I’ve been retired for 13 years, and I disagree. I’m still thrilled that I’m retired. Every day.

Yet another post that demonstrates a need for the forum to have a "Like" button.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7208 on: September 24, 2023, 03:56:43 PM »
I do have a couple friends who have 7-figure net worths and similar lifestyles (make a lot and spend a lot less than they make).  It's nice to be able to compare notes on taxes or investments or other things without judgement.  I can't do that with some other friends who are kind of just getting by, or with the couple of friends who make so much more and spend so much more that it's just sort of sensitive and difficult to talk about.

I have a group of college friends I meet a few times a year for lunch - we have been doing this for many years. Several of them made very substantial money working for hedge funds and big Wall Street companies like Goldman. And yet, based on some hints they have dropped over the years, I am pretty sure I have more in savings than some of them.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7209 on: September 24, 2023, 05:59:48 PM »
I really look forward to putting myself in that position.

I dont know why I took the job.

Probably a little bit of ego from being still wanted. Probably still a little fear that I was overly optimistic in my FIRE assumptions mixed with a little fear I might get a bit bored in retirement. Te DW was also very keen on this adventure and was pushing for it.

We will see how it goes. If it isnt great, FIRE is just a plane ride away.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7210 on: September 25, 2023, 06:44:57 AM »

That's another great thing about being part of a FIRE community, we set ourselves up for more successful retirement experiences than retirees in general.  Many folks I know IRL are unemployed or underemployed and didn't have much of a plan, even folks that are what I'd consider to be 'retirement age'!  When the choice is in your hands and have reached FI, you've stacked the odds as much as possible in your favor toward having a successful outcome!  Seems like common sense, yet many people are shocked when I tell them I've had this FIRE 'hobby' since my first job in my 20's...

Louise

• Stubble
« Reply #7211 on: September 25, 2023, 07:04:55 AM »

Probably a little bit of ego from being still wanted. Probably still a little fear that I was overly optimistic in my FIRE assumptions mixed with a little fear I might get a bit bored in retirement. Te DW was also very keen on this adventure and was pushing for it.

It honestly sounds like a nice adventure to me.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7212 on: September 25, 2023, 09:03:39 AM »

Yet another post that demonstrates a need for the forum to have a "Like" button.

👍

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7213 on: September 25, 2023, 11:09:42 AM »
12/05/12 is the day I pulled the trigger and I haven't regretted a single moment since.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7214 on: September 25, 2023, 11:52:46 AM »

I hope you enjoy your adventure!
Just be wary of doing things because you think you “should” versus because you really want to and are excited.
**speaking from experience. Cough.**

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7215 on: September 25, 2023, 11:59:23 AM »

The way you seemed to be waffling on it, and the fact your employer seems to really want to keep you ( well..in France anyways...haha ), I had my doubts that you were actually going to FIRE.

I guess I was correct!  And good for you - this sounds like an adventure more than work!  Paris should be very interesting.  Make sure to do lots of traveling around while you are there.  Being from the USA, I'm always amazed at how great the transportation system is in Western Europe...and how small the countries are!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7216 on: September 27, 2023, 11:11:13 PM »
Also, since you’re already FI, it could be possible to reduce your savings rate and use some of that money to pay for those weekend trips on the wonderful Western European transportation systems…

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7217 on: September 28, 2023, 06:06:18 AM »
Also, since you’re already FI, it could be possible to reduce your savings rate and use some of that money to pay for those weekend trips on the wonderful Western European transportation systems…

That’s the plan. After years and years saving half what we earned, now we will be spending all that we earn and our savings will still keep climbing at probably even more than we are earning.

Still, old habit die hard.

The company provided housing budget I have been given is enough for a nice 1 bedroom apartment in the more expensive arrondissements in Paris, but not enough for a nice 2 bedroom apartment for when we have visitors. Despite money not being an issue we still can’t bring ourselves to shell out the extra. Lol.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 06:25:26 AM by itchyfeet »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7218 on: September 28, 2023, 10:43:22 AM »

That’s the plan. After years and years saving half what we earned, now we will be spending all that we earn and our savings will still keep climbing at probably even more than we are earning.

Still, old habit die hard.

The company provided housing budget I have been given is enough for a nice 1 bedroom apartment in the more expensive arrondissements in Paris, but not enough for a nice 2 bedroom apartment for when we have visitors. Despite money not being an issue we still can’t bring ourselves to shell out the extra. Lol.

Will you be able to easily upgrade to a 2 bedroom in a few weeks, after you've had a bit of time to "enjoy" the confinement of a 1 bedroom?  What percentage of your pay, which you are planning to spend 100%, will the second bedroom cost?  What do you think you will actually spend that money on, since you won't be saving it? 

Being tight is a hard habit to break. 

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7219 on: September 28, 2023, 05:13:19 PM »
A second bedroom is quite expensive. It will be about 600 euro a month or 7,200 euro a year. Maybe a little more.

It is hard to estimate how many nights the room will be used in a year. Maybe 20. So that’s 144 Euro a night. Maybe our visitors would enjoy the comfort and privacy of a hotel room instead. Even 20 nights seems a lot of hosting.

Plenty of ways we could spend the money.

I fly to Paris this weekend so will get a better handle on the peculiarities of Parisian life.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7220 on: September 28, 2023, 08:22:09 PM »
My one little piece of advice, location is everything.  I had an apartment near the Arc de Triomphe and it was great for running after work (Bois de Boulogne), strolls at night (Champs Elysees, Seine), and public transport (I worked at La Defense).  Loads of fun shops, groceries, a street market, restuarants...  Hopefully you have a good advisor to help - I spent several weeks looking until I found a suitable apartment.  My temporary apartment when I first arrived was fantastic but too expensive.  Bonne chance! 

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7221 on: September 28, 2023, 10:04:36 PM »
My one little piece of advice, location is everything.  I had an apartment near the Arc de Triomphe and it was great for running after work (Bois de Boulogne), strolls at night (Champs Elysees, Seine), and public transport (I worked at La Defense).  Loads of fun shops, groceries, a street market, restuarants...  Hopefully you have a good advisor to help - I spent several weeks looking until I found a suitable apartment.  My temporary apartment when I first arrived was fantastic but too expensive.  Bonne chance!

Thanks. I’ll be working in La Defense too. I agree, location is worth paying for.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7222 on: September 29, 2023, 02:05:41 PM »
A second bedroom is quite expensive. It will be about 600 euro a month or 7,200 euro a year. Maybe a little more.

It is hard to estimate how many nights the room will be used in a year. Maybe 20. So that’s 144 Euro a night. Maybe our visitors would enjoy the comfort and privacy of a hotel room instead. Even 20 nights seems a lot of hosting.

I fly to Paris this weekend so will get a better handle on the peculiarities of Parisian life.

I think you are being penny-wise and pound-foolish in your thinking here.

144 euro/night is not going to get anyone very nice accomodations, especially not near you if you are in a nicer neighborhood.  And especially especially not at short notice or during peak travel seasons.

Say a good friend or close relative finds a screaming deal on airfare for a long weekend.  But hotels are booked.  Wouldn't it be nice to say to them "no problem - we have plenty of room!"?

Or what if somebody you like and would like to see wants to plan a longer trip to Europe but don't want to be locked into a strict itinerary.  Wouldn't it be nice to have the space to put them up on short notice when they swing through Paris?

Personally for these reasons alone I would splurge on the larger place.  Not to mention the fact that it also gives you a bit more room to spread out in what is a very densely populated city.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7223 on: September 29, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »
Yeah I was going to ask whether you wished to encourage or discourage visitors and that can guide you in your choice of apartment. A 2-bed you can invite people to visit and stay with you whereas a 1-bed less so (perhaps just close friends/family that are comfortable on a couch).

Agree on 144 Euro not getting great accommodations. Do you have many single female friends/families that might not feel safe in a 144 Euro hotel near you? (That said, it's also their hotel budget, not yours, so I go back to the above.)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7224 on: September 29, 2023, 04:40:44 PM »
$600 per month is $20 per night. 

baludon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7225 on: September 29, 2023, 05:40:59 PM »
The apartment will sit empty for, presumably, 4.5 months a year. That’s 5400 euros thrown away.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 06:01:36 PM by baludon »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7226 on: September 30, 2023, 12:14:48 AM »
I say get the second bedroom.  Of course I have a second bedroom mostly for the cat.

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #7227 on: September 30, 2023, 07:22:25 AM »
I say get the second bedroom.  Of course I have a second bedroom mostly for the cat.
Which is as fine a reason for having it as any other.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7228 on: September 30, 2023, 01:59:48 PM »
Trying to decide how frugal to get as the likely hood of a Shitdown happens.  I continue to go to work. For a US Government IOU.  I have a full 3+ months of regular spending available so cash flow is not a huge issue and as of now I’m still going to make Octobers investments, but I don’t like using my emergency fund for this crap.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7229 on: October 01, 2023, 04:33:10 AM »
Trying to decide how frugal to get as the likely hood of a Shitdownhappens.  I continue to go to work. For a US Government IOU.  I have a full 3+ months of regular spending available so cash flow is not a huge issue and as of now I’m still going to make Octobers investments, but I don’t like using my emergency fund for this crap.

Is that a Freudian slip?

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7230 on: October 01, 2023, 05:45:10 PM »

I'm in DC USA and the difference between a one and two bedroom apartment is much bigger - perhaps twice what you mentioned.  So in some ways you're getting a bargain for what it is if it's only an extra $600/mo.  However it's up to you to decide if it's something you want to buy at all - I'm with you on the putting people up in a hotel idea.

I think you are being penny-wise and pound-foolish in your thinking here.

144 euro/night is not going to get anyone very nice accomodations, especially not near you if you are in a nicer neighborhood.  And especially especially not at short notice or during peak travel seasons.
I know of, from my days when I worked for a French company and spent a fair bit of time there, of a very acceptable hotel (I'd say American standard with VERY small rooms) in central Paris for under 150 euros.  Moreover I don't think you really need to worry about 'very nice' - if that's what visitors want they can certainly find it for themselves.
Say a good friend or close relative finds a screaming deal on airfare for a long weekend.  But hotels are booked.  Wouldn't it be nice to say to them "no problem - we have plenty of room!"?

Or what if somebody you like and would like to see wants to plan a longer trip to Europe but don't want to be locked into a strict itinerary.  Wouldn't it be nice to have the space to put them up on short notice when they swing through Paris?

Personally for these reasons alone I would splurge on the larger place.  Not to mention the fact that it also gives you a bit more room to spread out in what is a very densely populated city.
You can always get a great sofabed for $1000 or a very good air mattress for maybe $200 and put up emergency guests in the living room. If I was living on a budget in Paris I could certainly see wanting to use those extra bucks on other things (fancy Michelin starred restaurants perhaps? 

BUT... you are not in saving mode anymore and you have a chunk of dough to spend on your stay in Paris!  If you run through a budget and find you have beaucoup bucks available, it's not the worst of splurges.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7231 on: October 01, 2023, 07:05:13 PM »
Trying to decide how frugal to get as the likely hood of a Shitdown happens.  I continue to go to work. For a US Government IOU.  I have a full 3+ months of regular spending available so cash flow is not a huge issue and as of now I’m still going to make Octobers investments, but I don’t like using my emergency fund for this crap.

I'm very glad for you and the country as a whole that a miracle happened and the shit didn't go down.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7232 on: October 01, 2023, 07:19:00 PM »

I'm very glad for you and the country as a whole that a miracle happened and the shit didn't go down.

I for one am totally surprised but it's only 45 days and who knows at that time.....it's not like they will keep working at it, no they will ignore it until a week before and point fingers and do it all over again.  F'in congress, bunch of self righteous, snake oil selling criminals.   But that's our system!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7233 on: October 01, 2023, 09:31:57 PM »
Trying to decide how frugal to get as the likely hood of a Shitdownhappens.  I continue to go to work. For a US Government IOU.  I have a full 3+ months of regular spending available so cash flow is not a huge issue and as of now I’m still going to make Octobers investments, but I don’t like using my emergency fund for this crap.

Is that a Freudian slip?

Nope it was an autocorrect in 2018/19 that I decided was appropriate.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #7234 on: October 02, 2023, 06:55:02 AM »

I for one am totally surprised but it's only 45 days and who knows at that time.....it's not like they will keep working at it, no they will ignore it until a week before and point fingers and do it all over again.  F'in congress, bunch of self righteous, snake oil selling criminals.   But that's our system!

It's even worse nowadays when grandstanding and attention grabbing is rewarded with more votes.  They don't have any incentive to do any actual work and prefer the system to be broken.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7235 on: October 02, 2023, 08:24:54 AM »

It's even worse nowadays when grandstanding and attention grabbing is rewarded with more votes.  They don't have any incentive to do any actual work and prefer the system to be broken.

With so many headlines suggesting Gaetz is going after McCarthy for working with Democrats, my brain autocorrects to "for doing his job," and I don't even like McCarthy, but I might forgive him a bit if he grows a background and actually does his job consistently instead of kowtowing to the extremists in a desperate bid to never ever work with Democrats.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7236 on: October 02, 2023, 03:25:37 PM »

With so many headlines suggesting Gaetz is going after McCarthy for working with Democrats, my brain autocorrects to "for doing his job," and I don't even like McCarthy, but I might forgive him a bit if he grows a background and actually does his job consistently instead of kowtowing to the extremists in a desperate bid to never ever work with Democrats.

Gaetz and McCarthy.    They seem to be a bit...  out of their weight class when dealing with Biden.   https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WNkfgFU_1Ik

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #7237 on: October 02, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
Any chance of taking the politics talk to another thread?  There are probably a dozen to choose from.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7238 on: October 02, 2023, 07:40:43 PM »
I feel like we have been spending like drunken sailors. For the past 12 months we have travelled more than ever, done multiple boat projects including DH's solar project that involves extra spending for prototyping, needed a car repair, paid for 3 months of COBRA to bridge to Megacorp's new part time policies... Imagine my surprise to run the numbers and realize that the only spending above and beyond our targets was what we used to help a friend avoid homelessness. And it doesn't even really matter yet: even helping that friend we will have some savings this year from DH's income. We have had a number of challenges this year, but I feel better than ever about our numbers. Given improvements to his health, DH will probably keep working until they lay him off (he survived this round, though) or until we can afford his dream boat and still live on 3.5% of the remainder. As a matter of fact, he is starting to look into Starlink so that he work and boat.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #7239 on: October 02, 2023, 09:50:06 PM »
Still treading water, but we have managed to increase our net worth by $50K over the past couple of months.  We have $100K in two tuition payments to cover this year, so treading water for the next two/three years is what we are going to do.  We are definitely spending like drunken sailors as we coast through this race.  I feel like the out-of-shape 52 year old that I am in a Marathon walking along while the others are out there running 5-6 minute miles.  Hanging solidly in the $3.0-$3.1 range for the foreseeable future - unless another correction comes along.  It is October.

Louise

• Stubble
« Reply #7240 on: October 03, 2023, 07:01:52 AM »
Still treading water, but we have managed to increase our net worth by $50K over the past couple of months.  We have $100K in two tuition payments to cover this year, so treading water for the next two/three years is what we are going to do.  We are definitely spending like drunken sailors as we coast through this race.  I feel like the out-of-shape 52 year old that I am in a Marathon walking along while the others are out there running 5-6 minute miles.  Hanging solidly in the $3.0-$3.1 range for the foreseeable future - unless another correction comes along.  It is October.

Ours has dipped by about 100K in the past few months without any withdrawals. It kind of feels like throwing money into the void. We do have a lot of expenses this time of year so we don't put a lot away, aside from pretax savings.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7241 on: October 03, 2023, 07:10:19 AM »
Throw us in with the drunken sailors, we keep spending on all of our glorious wants these days.  Much of this is offset by increased dividend and interest income..  The trick will be not to be deceived by the income, because it comes with an increased tax burden.  I sent off an email to the CPA to start to run the numbers.  Much of the income will be in 401k's and IRA's so that helps for now, but taxes in retirement could be just as high as my current taxes are!

I certainly preferred the good old days when inflation and interest rates were low and NW gains came from equity price 'number go up' schemes.  Given that cash definitely is no longer trash, I've gotten more scrupulous about ensuring our spare cash is yielding 5% and not 0.1% anywhere.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7242 on: October 03, 2023, 07:25:01 AM »
Given that cash definitely is no longer trash, I've gotten more scrupulous about ensuring our spare cash is yielding 5% and not 0.1% anywhere.

I am definitely cutting it a little closer on transfers to checking than I used to. Never used to let checking drop below scheduled bills. But most of the bills are scheduled 20-30 days in advance, so I am holding on to funds in HYSA account an extra week or two now that the interest means something.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7243 on: October 03, 2023, 07:38:50 AM »
Throw us in with the drunken sailors, we keep spending on all of our glorious wants these days.  Much of this is offset by increased dividend and interest income..  The trick will be not to be deceived by the income, because it comes with an increased tax burden.  I sent off an email to the CPA to start to run the numbers.  Much of the income will be in 401k's and IRA's so that helps for now, but taxes in retirement could be just as high as my current taxes are!

I certainly preferred the good old days when inflation and interest rates were low and NW gains came from equity price 'number go up' schemes.  Given that cash definitely is no longer trash, I've gotten more scrupulous about ensuring our spare cash is yielding 5% and not 0.1% anywhere.

I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and it appears we may get over $80k in interest and dividends this year (all accounts including tax deferred). If this keeps up, we may wind up with a sub 1% WR when my my wife eventually retires :-)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7244 on: October 03, 2023, 08:16:33 AM »

I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and it appears we may get over $80k in interest and dividends this year (all accounts including tax deferred). If this keeps up, we may wind up with a sub 1% WR when my my wife eventually retires :-)

You obviously haven't been keeping up with Early-Retirement.org https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/living-off-dividends-to-0-wr-119430.html
LOL  It's a nice problem to have, and important to dicker over!  They don't mention interest payments specifically, but I'm sure that also somehow counts as withdrawals...

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7245 on: October 03, 2023, 09:11:00 AM »
Any chance of taking the politics talk to another thread?  There are probably a dozen to choose from.

My bad for mentioning the shitdown, which directly effects my finances.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7246 on: October 03, 2023, 09:27:38 AM »
My bad for mentioning the shitdown, which directly effects my finances.

Shitup about the shitdown, man...  LOL

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7247 on: October 03, 2023, 10:05:28 AM »

Ours has dipped by about 100K in the past few months without any withdrawals. It kind of feels like throwing money into the void. We do have a lot of expenses this time of year so we don't put a lot away, aside from pretax savings.

I agree.  USA markets have been brutal lately - both stocks and bonds.  Thankfully, we are diversified and are basically treading water, but man...it really does feel like throwing money into the void.  However, anytime it feels like this is when we are getting the "best deal"for our investment dollar, long term.  It sure doesn't feel that way sometimes though!

On the good news front, both kids are graduating from college this year ( one undergrad, one masters degree ).  So we are pretty much done with the college years...woo hoo!  Our son ( the undergrad ), is a Physics/Astrophysics double major and has done quite well...so there is a great chance he can land a fully paid grad school gig. 

« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 10:15:05 AM by farmecologist »

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #7248 on: October 03, 2023, 10:27:51 AM »
I'm a bit up on the year (probably as many of my investments are global so the £'s inevitable slide towards utter obscurity helps the portfolio a bit in £ terms, assuming I'm fine with never needing to spend too much in another currency...)

Definitely down in real inflation-adjusted terms though - which will be mainly due to my inability to ever get my cash into the market in a reasonable time-frame.  Which I guess doesn't matter that much in this category - though from next year I'll be earning less than I spend, so will feel less well able to afford this kind of "loss through being lazy/slack" rather than "loss through 'life happens'".

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7249 on: October 03, 2023, 11:43:52 AM »

On the good news front, both kids are graduating from college this year ( one undergrad, one masters degree ).  So we are pretty much done with the college years...woo hoo!  Our son ( the undergrad ), is a Physics/Astrophysics double major and has done quite well...so there is a great chance he can land a fully paid grad school gig.

Congrats, that's a huge step.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!