Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1291949 times)

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
Re: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!
« Reply #6700 on: May 23, 2023, 01:26:00 PM »
Time has slowed to the pace of my feet.  I'm at AT mile 495 and I started at mile 428 last Wednesday.  I took a zero mile day in Damascus, Virginia for the Trail Days festival.  I'm currently camped at the base of Mount Rogers.  Today I'll run up and tag it's summit as Virginia's high point.  Dreaming of a motel night in a few days to get cleaned up and eat Mexican food.
My nice phone I bought for the trip blew up and I'm on a $49.99 burner phone from the dollar store.  It works pretty good actually.  I downloaded Mint for some stupid reason.  Almost most at an all time high.  So no worries about money.  I'm out here living like a hermit anyway.  Red Roof Inn is $63 dollars.  I've just got to get to it.
The mountains are just as tough regardless of your financial status.  Younger people blow right by you up the hills.  They have the true treasure, vitality.  Time for me to break camp and hike.  It's a cold morning but I've got to get going.

That's a beautiful area.  We lived nearby, in NC, for about 20 years.  It was a great place to live and raise our daughter.  We still have the place up there, but DW wanted to leave the harsh Winters.  Watch out for bears, especially the ones with cubs. 

Have you already hiked the Southern sections of the AT?  I've never hiked it, but have crisscrossed it a lot riding my dual-sport motorcycle between Roan Mtn. & Damascus. 

Are you sleeping in a tent or hammock camping?  Have you met any interesting characters?

Harsh winters....in NC?  We moved our daughter to NC for grad school last year and man...NC is like paradise. 

I should mention we are from MN...so I always have to laugh when I hear "harsh winters".

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6701 on: May 23, 2023, 02:36:30 PM »
Time has slowed to the pace of my feet.  I'm at AT mile 495 and I started at mile 428 last Wednesday.  I took a zero mile day in Damascus, Virginia for the Trail Days festival.  I'm currently camped at the base of Mount Rogers.  Today I'll run up and tag it's summit as Virginia's high point.  Dreaming of a motel night in a few days to get cleaned up and eat Mexican food.
My nice phone I bought for the trip blew up and I'm on a $49.99 burner phone from the dollar store.  It works pretty good actually.  I downloaded Mint for some stupid reason.  Almost most at an all time high.  So no worries about money.  I'm out here living like a hermit anyway.  Red Roof Inn is $63 dollars.  I've just got to get to it.
The mountains are just as tough regardless of your financial status.  Younger people blow right by you up the hills.  They have the true treasure, vitality.  Time for me to break camp and hike.  It's a cold morning but I've got to get going.

That's a beautiful area.  We lived nearby, in NC, for about 20 years.  It was a great place to live and raise our daughter.  We still have the place up there, but DW wanted to leave the harsh Winters.  Watch out for bears, especially the ones with cubs. 

Have you already hiked the Southern sections of the AT?  I've never hiked it, but have crisscrossed it a lot riding my dual-sport motorcycle between Roan Mtn. & Damascus. 

Are you sleeping in a tent or hammock camping?  Have you met any interesting characters?

Harsh winters....in NC?  We moved our daughter to NC for grad school last year and man...NC is like paradise. 

I should mention we are from MN...so I always have to laugh when I hear "harsh winters".

The NW corner of NC is called the "High Country".  There were a few Winters with weeks that we didn't get above the teens and months that didn't above freezing.  One year I remember the snow total was over 120".  I know it's not MN cold, but it's still cold enough to wish you were somewhere else.  ;~)

Roan Mtn. has plants left over from the last ice age.  I think it's said you don't see those types of plants until you get into Canada.

Mt. Mitchell at 6684' is the highest point East of the Rockies.  Our place is at only 2900' but is high enough that we never needed an A/C.  (I'll admit that there were a few days that we wished we had it.)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6702 on: May 23, 2023, 08:12:18 PM »
Hey guys.  I want to summit of Mount Rogers today and had wild horses following us today.  I'm currently at Wise Shelter.  Looks like we will dip into the 30s tonight.  I'm comfortable in my hammock listening to coyotes not far away.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6703 on: May 24, 2023, 01:54:43 PM »

The NW corner of NC is called the "High Country".  There were a few Winters with weeks that we didn't get above the teens and months that didn't above freezing.  One year I remember the snow total was over 120".  I know it's not MN cold, but it's still cold enough to wish you were somewhere else.  ;~)

Roan Mtn. has plants left over from the last ice age.  I think it's said you don't see those types of plants until you get into Canada.

Mt. Mitchell at 6684' is the highest point East of the Rockies.  Our place is at only 2900' but is high enough that we never needed an A/C.  (I'll admit that there were a few days that we wished we had it.)

Ahh..ok I see! 

Yep, the high country is definitely a colder climate.  We have been to Mt. Mitchell.  In fact, we just visited our daughter a few weeks ago and we did the Blue Ridge Parkway segment from Boone to Asheville.  Also liked stopping in "little switzerland" for a bit along the way.   Didn't visit Mt. Mitchell state park this time though.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6704 on: May 25, 2023, 04:43:14 AM »
All this elevation and trail talk makes me think of my trail running group discussion of how this is NOT the year to try to through hike the Pacific Coast Trail.  There will be snow in much of the High Sierras portion through July plus.  Heck the most recent road report on Tigoa at Yosemite’s is Cal trans has been clearing roads with 8-11ft of snow as they try to get it open for the summer.

I’m more of a fast packer than a hiker, so I admit my long trail goals are more along the lines of Mont Blanc than the APT of PCT.  I like a dorm or hotel room with indoor plumbing.  (Or at least a vault toilet).

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6705 on: May 26, 2023, 09:40:39 PM »
I'm currently 106 miles in at the Mount Rogers Headquarters.  Mile marker 534 up from mile 428.  Took me ten days, a little behind where I thought I'd be, but there was Trail Days festival and an overnight hiker picnic at a church.  Currently at a hostel in Marion Virginia.  Back on trail tomorrow. Four days of rain is predicted. I'll be grunting through it.  Still having fun.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6706 on: May 27, 2023, 06:29:05 AM »
I'm currently 106 miles in at the Mount Rogers Headquarters.  Mile marker 534 up from mile 428.  Took me ten days, a little behind where I thought I'd be, but there was Trail Days festival and an overnight hiker picnic at a church.  Currently at a hostel in Marion Virginia.  Back on trail tomorrow. Four days of rain is predicted. I'll be grunting through it.  Still having fun.

A wet, cold, miserable hike on slippery mountain trails sure beats work.  Glad you're having fun.  Be safe. 

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6707 on: May 27, 2023, 03:20:29 PM »

A wet, cold, miserable hike on slippery mountain trails sure beats work.  Glad you're having fun.  Be safe.

True - However, If I had to take a wet, cold miserable walk on slippery ground for work, I may have been cussing in several languages and even crested some totally new expletives. .

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6708 on: June 09, 2023, 08:26:24 AM »
Why is it when working, and you are super excited for next month’s vacation that work “decides” we are going to have a metric ton of special events come at you.  It’s a long 25 months until I’m immediate pension eligible.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #6709 on: June 09, 2023, 10:09:21 AM »
Why is it when working, and you are super excited for next month’s vacation that work “decides” we are going to have a metric ton of special events come at you.  It’s a long 25 months until I’m immediate pension eligible.

Ahh yes the "I have the finish line in sight" feeling.

Of course the great thing is, due to your saving/investing diligence you do actually have the finish line in sight. I remember those last few months were just awful though. In my case I got lucky in that my company offered to pay me money to leave early from the toxic environment.. In other words they fired me..:)

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6710 on: June 09, 2023, 12:39:32 PM »
I am working on some components for a new platform that has start of production in 2029, and there is almost no way I will still be working at that time. Sort of a weird feeling when signing off on designs knowing not only do I not have to actually care about their field performance, but I won't even be the one to see them launched.

We had a buyout about three years ago during a somewhat large restructuring. Since most areas have basically reverted back I am hoping they do another buyout in the next year. I am pretty sure I would close to the head of the line if the deal is anything like last time.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6711 on: June 09, 2023, 05:55:42 PM »

How many nights do you spend in the backcountry versus in a hostel, B&B, etc?

I used to backpack in the backcountry in the Canadian rockies and on the north shore of Lake Superior once or twice a year where there aren't any hostels.    Well more or less in the rockies, anway.   There are ACC huts in the rockies along with high end tourist accomodations, but I didn't go there.   I've never done a trip where you get to stay in a nice bed every night!

arcturus

• Stubble
« Reply #6712 on: June 11, 2023, 06:45:25 AM »

Of course the great thing is, due to your saving/investing diligence you do actually have the finish line in sight. I remember those last few months were just awful though. In my case I got lucky in that my company offered to pay me money to leave early from the toxic environment.. In other words they fired me..:)

+1 on this feeling.  Hoping to be on about the same timeline -- 24-30 months...except no pension in my future.  Tough to hear that it doesn't get better, I was hopeful that the last 3-4 months might be more transitional in nature and therefore be easier, but I guess its still the same shit different day.   Getting fired is a great way to go if you can time it right!  I'd take a little severance bonus and COBRA options at the end of the road!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6713 on: June 11, 2023, 07:50:34 AM »

+1 on this feeling.  Hoping to be on about the same timeline -- 24-30 months...except no pension in my future.  Tough to hear that it doesn't get better, I was hopeful that the last 3-4 months might be more transitional in nature and therefore be easier, but I guess its still the same shit different day.   Getting fired is a great way to go if you can time it right!  I'd take a little severance bonus and COBRA options at the end of the road!

Wow guys, 25 month timeframes seem like an awfully long time, especially at our ages.  I also don't have the pension handcuffs, so I just take my employment as it comes.  I don't need the money per se, but the health benefits for the family and social/mental stimulation would be sad to lose unexpectedly.  Like Arcturus, I'm going to give negotiating a severance a try once I'm sure I'm done.  I have a good relationship with my boss, so I don't think he'd be offended, just surprised that I'm wanting to retire.

Although I cringe when 30 year olds use the 'rich, broke, dead' calculator to justify ER, it definitely applies to folks in our cohort.  I'd think long and hard about ways to make those last months of employment as un-sucky as possible - these are super valuable years of our lives.  I had a pretty good work/life balance until Covid came along and now I feel like I should work harder but have gotten in to a bad rut of doing the bare minimum and feeling guilty.  Trying to get my momentum back for one last stretch so I can end on a high note...  Hopefully some good vacations coming up will reinvigorate me.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6714 on: June 11, 2023, 08:31:15 AM »

Wow guys, 25 month timeframes seem like an awfully long time, especially at our ages.  I also don't have the pension handcuffs, so I just take my employment as it comes.  I don't need the money per se, but the health benefits for the family and social/mental stimulation would be sad to lose unexpectedly.  Like Arcturus, I'm going to give negotiating a severance a try once I'm sure I'm done.  I have a good relationship with my boss, so I don't think he'd be offended, just surprised that I'm wanting to retire.

Although I cringe when 30 year olds use the 'rich, broke, dead' calculator to justify ER, it definitely applies to folks in our cohort.  I'd think long and hard about ways to make those last months of employment as un-sucky as possible - these are super valuable years of our lives.  I had a pretty good work/life balance until Covid came along and now I feel like I should work harder but have gotten in to a bad rut of doing the bare minimum and feeling guilty.  Trying to get my momentum back for one last stretch so I can end on a high note...  Hopefully some good vacations coming up will reinvigorate me.

My Pension comes with lifetime US healthcare.  It is the real handcuff for me more so than the pension itself. 

Unfortunately work has two massive “projects” before July 2025 that will effect me no matter what.  One culminating this November (@Dicey avoid the city November 12-18 it will be a mess) and I have election adjacent responsibilities.  Maybe the last 6 months will be a lull but I’m not counting on it something will come up.

arcturus

• Stubble
« Reply #6715 on: June 11, 2023, 08:36:27 AM »
Poetically stated @EscapeVelocity2020  --  I could not agree more.  I unfortunately have found myself cutting back on plans for near-term enjoyment (like the bucket list vacations) for two reasons: (1) the market pullback and naively / stupidly thinking that I can make up for it by cutting back on discretionary spending; and (2) the fact that I usually end up working at least some during my vacation, so why do it now?   

But I hear myself saying these things and I cringe, because yes, in my 50s now.  I, like you, also have a good relationship with my boss and have considered raising the topic of retirement next year.  It would be a shock for them, for sure, but has the potential to lead to a better work/life balance.  Currently debating the pros/cons of that move.

RedefinedHappiness

• Stubble
« Reply #6716 on: June 11, 2023, 03:52:26 PM »
What are the talking points for negotiating a severance when you decide to FIRE?  Honesty with a boss you trust?  Threatening poor work effort if you stick around?  I'm not sure what I would say, but interested in hearing how to approach it.

arcturus

• Stubble
« Reply #6717 on: June 11, 2023, 07:37:47 PM »
What are the talking points for negotiating a severance when you decide to FIRE?  Honesty with a boss you trust?  Threatening poor work effort if you stick around?  I'm not sure what I would say, but interested in hearing how to approach it.

In my case, it would not be a matter of negotiating a severance when I decide to FIRE, rather it would be making my boss aware that, in the event that my company decides to execute a reduction in force, my name could be put on the list in the event that she needs/wants to participate.   I don't think that conversation would be all that difficult, based on the relationship I have with my boss and my excellent performance at the company.  And in some ways, it could be viewed as a helpful offer by my boss to the extent that she needs to participate.  Every situation is different.   But it is not a matter of me deciding I want to FIRE and then trying to talk the boss into a severance package.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6718 on: June 13, 2023, 08:10:29 AM »

How many nights do you spend in the backcountry versus in a hostel, B&B, etc?

I used to backpack in the backcountry in the Canadian rockies and on the north shore of Lake Superior once or twice a year where there aren't any hostels.    Well more or less in the rockies, anway.   There are ACC huts in the rockies along with high end tourist accomodations, but I didn't go there.   I've never done a trip where you get to stay in a nice bed every night!

The Appalachian Trail being near trail towns most of the way, a fast hiker could almost sleeping a bed every night.  I'm at 300 miles now in Daleville Virginia.  I'm currently in a Super 8 hotel.  This has been my 7th stay.  Not all of those being a bed.  Some were camping on site, but access to a shower and possibly flush toilet.  This is called Platinum blazing.  Some hikers cannot afford to do this because of a tight budget.  So I've stayed in a off trail situation about 1/4 of the time.  The stench and wetness is what drives me into a point of refuge.  I may do more remote trails in the future.  The CDT and PCT are more remote.  I plan to do the Florida Trail next.  It's hot, sticky and stinky.  Maybe the Arizona trail.  I'll probably bicycle tour more than backpack in coming years.  That more so allows the bed options when needed due to greater miles covered in a day.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6719 on: June 13, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »
Well, although I thought even a month ago that it wasn't possible, today, I hit my goal of $4M liquid assets.  $4,007,605 to be exact.  When I started this thread, I had thought that $4M would be a long stretch.  I know that others are way past that (especially on Bogleheads), but this sits well over 50 times retirement spending.  As I write this, I have 9 more working days until my official retirement.  I told my wife that now we can afford that Fisherman's platter at the local drive in fish place for Fathers Day.  Cue the music (classic rock works for me). 

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6720 on: June 13, 2023, 09:16:17 AM »
Well, although I thought even a month ago that it wasn't possible, today, I hit my goal of $4M liquid assets.  $4,007,605 to be exact.  When I started this thread, I had thought that $4M would be a long stretch.  I know that others are way past that (especially on Bogleheads), but this sits well over 50 times retirement spending.  As I write this, I have 9 more working days until my official retirement.  I told my wife that now we can afford that Fisherman's platter at the local drive in fish place for Fathers Day.  Cue the music (classic rock works for me).

Congratulations on now being "beyond"!  Maybe get that appetizer with the platter ;)

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6721 on: June 13, 2023, 10:00:06 AM »

Congratulations! Thats the amazing power of saving, investing  and compounding.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6722 on: June 13, 2023, 10:19:17 AM »

Awesome CarJack.  I remember like yesterday that I was racing to get into the 2-4 and beyond club.  We're also sitting on new liquid highs.  3.175 this morning.  Retirement is almost there for us as well.  Possibly by July.  I'm on practice retirement right now using paid time off while hiking the AT.
Beyond will likely come for us even in retirement. 
Congratulations again on the escape velocity you've achieved!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6723 on: June 13, 2023, 10:58:16 AM »

Your time will be your own.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6724 on: June 13, 2023, 12:43:44 PM »

Fantastic...:).

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6725 on: June 13, 2023, 05:59:31 PM »

Awesome! Nine days, wow, crazy to think about it. Congrats.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6726 on: June 13, 2023, 08:10:12 PM »
This reminds me of a time we went out to eat back in 2013.

DW (HRH) was looking at the menu and mused.. "hmm I wonder if I should have a margarita?"

I replied "Well we ARE millionaires". Now DW had NO IDEA we were worth anything close to that amount as she doesn't do money.

The look on her face with her jaw hanging open we classic.

She then followed up with .. "Never tell me that stuff again".....No she wasn't kidding!

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6727 on: June 14, 2023, 09:14:24 AM »

DW (HRH) was looking at the menu and mused.. "hmm I wonder if I should have a margarita?"

I replied "Well we ARE millionaires". Now DW had NO IDEA we were worth anything close to that amount as she doesn't do money.

She then followed up with .. "Never tell me that stuff again".....No she wasn't kidding!

Every person in this thread is technically a "multi-millionaire", my wife and I included, but it just sounds really weird when you say it out loud.  Especially since when most people think of multi-millionaires they think of extravagant wealth and not people comparison shopping to find the best deal on toilet paper :P

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6728 on: June 14, 2023, 09:49:29 AM »

Every person in this thread is technically a "multi-millionaire", my wife and I included, but it just sounds really weird when you say it out loud.  Especially since when most people think of multi-millionaires they think of extravagant wealth and not people comparison shopping to find the best deal on toilet paper :P

I was almost a multimillionaire in 2013 ($1.9M) and it still doesn't feel real!  Nothing significant has changed for us since we bought our $315k house in 2009, other than now we buy cars new instead of used (for the improved safety features and reliability)...

I still dream of having a million dollar spending spree at some point :)  It's wild to know that I'd still be FI afterwards.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6729 on: June 14, 2023, 10:41:50 AM »

I was almost a multimillionaire in 2013 ($1.9M) and it still doesn't feel real!  Nothing significant has changed for us since we bought our $315k house in 2009, other than now we buy cars new instead of used (for the improved safety features and reliability)...

I still dream of having a million dollar spending spree at some point :)  It's wild to know that I'd still be FI afterwards.

Ooh, me too!

You're right. The numbers on the page doesn't really mean anything to me, but the thought of taking $1M and turning it into experiences or stuff is kind of a mind blowing concept.

I could choose from say a Mcmansion, several highs end sports cars, a few round the World trips in first class.

In fact if I don't do this we are going to be a couple of very wealthy rotting corpses!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6730 on: June 14, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »

Ooh, me too!

You're right. The numbers on the page doesn't really mean anything to me, but the thought of taking $1M and turning it into experiences or stuff is kind of a mind blowing concept.

I could choose from say a Mcmansion, several highs end sports cars, a few round the World trips in first class.

In fact if I don't do this we are going to be a couple of very wealthy rotting corpses!

Definitely a nice Mustachian Problem to have

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6731 on: June 14, 2023, 02:15:27 PM »

Exactly the way I feel...especially since we are doing the "stealth wealth" thing.  We also live in a relatively modest, but small and nice to live in, neighborhood.

If you take the house into account, we are somewhat near the upper end of this threads upper end.  And that is not taking into account my wife's pension value.   Yet it doesn't seem real...and we are still working ( for now ).  I will admit I'm having a REALLY tough time at work, motivation wise, and it is showing....so I may not have that much time left there...lol.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6732 on: June 14, 2023, 02:45:31 PM »
@farmecologist Yup I think most of us that retired from a job that we learned to dislike felt the pain of the last few months. For me this was going back to work after the holiday break in Jan 2014.

I had an 80 mile one way commute in the middle of Winter. The workplace was toxic and I had decided to work until April of that year .. I wanted to max out the 401k, save some cash etc.

That morning I got dragged into a room where the directors unloaded all sorts of complaints on me, none of which had any basis in fact.

Bottom line they gave me a "corrective action plan" which comes with a "buyout option" which amounted to about 4 months of salary.. Hmm.

I think I might have left scorch marks on the carpet as I headed for the door..:)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6733 on: June 14, 2023, 04:40:08 PM »
@farmecologist Yup I think most of us that retired from a job that we learned to dislike felt the pain of the last few months. For me this was going back to work after the holiday break in Jan 2014.

I had an 80 mile one way commute in the middle of Winter. The workplace was toxic and I had decided to work until April of that year .. I wanted to max out the 401k, save some cash etc.

That morning I got dragged into a room where the directors unloaded all sorts of complaints on me, none of which had any basis in fact.

Bottom line they gave me a "corrective action plan" which comes with a "buyout option" which amounted to about 4 months of salary.. Hmm.

I think I might have left scorch marks on the carpet as I headed for the door..:)

I like it.  I still get these people enticing me to go back to work.  It was never the work that I disliked so much.  It was people as you described above.  Even when I got along with them, it disturbed me how they would pick a "target" and make that person's life hell.  I think you've helped convince me not to follow up on the return to work thing.  As Bachman Turner Overdrive sang, "I love to work at nothing all day."

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6734 on: June 14, 2023, 08:41:09 PM »
@pecunia Actually the short term contracts I have taken after I retired have been some of the most fun work (and best paid) I have ever done.

The reason I think is 1) the jobs were not with the company I retired from, but were with the company I left in 2012 to join said toxic company. and 2), I didn't need the jobs so I didn't go back unless they paid me what I wanted.. i.e significantly more than I was earning previously. 3) if the job didn't sound like fun I simply didn't take it.

So while I get a lot of flak for going back to work its certainly been enoyable.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6735 on: June 14, 2023, 08:44:01 PM »
Every time I interact with out of office people at work.  Yeah I’m retiring in 25 months.

Them what are you doing for your retirement job.

Me volunteering on trails, I’ll be done working for a living.

Happy day, my TSP has 2 commas again.  It first had 2 commas just before the most recent downturn in 2022.  Meh, due to pension considerations I’m still going to be way overfunded for RE at 47.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6736 on: June 14, 2023, 11:33:34 PM »

We've been in Aspen for almost two weeks. If ever a place was rigged to make you feel poor, this is it. I have fought back by shopping at a place called "The Motherlode Mercantile", located conveniently at the Pitkin County Dump er, Recycling Center. Today we went twice. Highly recommend!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6737 on: June 15, 2023, 11:20:21 AM »
We crossed a new milestone - $3 million NW or $3.7 million with primary residence equity and college savings.  I thought I'd scale back at $1M, then $1.5M, then I thought full retirement at $2.5M.  We're still working, though and enjoying the social interaction, savings rate, and several big travel opportunities this year.  I'm reluctant to pull the plug with uncertain inflation, multiple college educations coming at us in the next ten years, and a general unease about converting the NW into cash flow.  That said, as I approach the mid-century mark, we have little downside risk in our investments other than general market risk, and we have a couple of investments with nice upside potential.  Social Security is out there for (possible) assistance as the kids finish college, and it's possible we could inherit something, though that doesn't factor into any planning (and frankly we'd like to see less miserliness and more fun for themselves).

I read the stories from @Exflyboy and others about how their NW shockingly keeps increasing even after RE, but I'm still nervous.  How do you overcome the inertia that just keeps the income flowing in?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6738 on: June 15, 2023, 11:54:40 AM »
How do you overcome the inertia that just keeps the income flowing in?

Are you asking about how to decide to FIRE when in a cushy job situation and it's easier to just keep working and earning?

Or are you asking about how to spend down the stash after FIRE and avoid having it pile up even higher?

Or something else?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6739 on: June 15, 2023, 11:57:40 AM »
We crossed a new milestone - $3 million NW or $3.7 million with primary residence equity and college savings. 

I read the stories from @Exflyboy and others about how their NW shockingly keeps increasing even after RE, but I'm still nervous.  How do you overcome the inertia that just keeps the income flowing in?

Otherwise known as "OMY syndrome".. Yes Its a thing. You are almost in exactly the same place we are NW wise, albeit we do have a couple of smallish pensions in addition, plus we don't have any kids.

It sounds like you are enjoying work so its not all bad if you continue working. Now you could maybe go part time or pick up some contract work like I have over the last 9 years of not having a proper grown up job.

The inertia, yeah.. Honestly the only thing you can do is to swallow hard and jump (sounds like my first skydive.. after 500 jumps its a non issue).

I can tell you I first quit at $1.3M plus the paid off house. Our NW has done nothing but continue to increase, mainly due to the bull market. It has never stopped me worrying about not having enough $$, but as I look at it I am far more likely to be scrambling to avoid the massive tax hit that RMDs will bring in 14 years from now.

But I'll put that in the "good problem to have" category...:)

One thing to note.. I assume you have a significant part of your stash in after tax savings.. AKA brokerage accounts? The reason being is when you quit you will want to go on the affordable care act and living on after tax "income" means your taxable income can be wound down to very low levels which translates into cheap health insurance.

We pay less than $3/month (at 61 and 58) for our high deductible (HSA) Bronze plan... I.e we get a $1600/month subsidy.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6740 on: June 15, 2023, 12:12:07 PM »

I like it.  I still get these people enticing me to go back to work.  It was never the work that I disliked so much.  It was people as you described above.  Even when I got along with them, it disturbed me how they would pick a "target" and make that person's life hell.  I think you've helped convince me not to follow up on the return to work thing.  As Bachman Turner Overdrive sang, "I love to work at nothing all day."

It is not necessarily the people I work with...although some of them are "married to the job boomers" who complain about how overworked they are but don't take anywhere near all of their vacation...lol.  Let's just say I (jokingly) give them crap about it whenever I hear them whine about it.  They just laugh it off.  At least in my megacorp, there really is a "boomer" vs. the younger generations divide on how work/life is viewed ( and I'm not one that really likes to do the "generations" thing ).  And it isn't healthy for the boomer types. 

The thing I REALLY dislike in my megacorp ( and I suspect many other megacorps ), is the F'n insufferable HR department that call all the shots.   They are even starting to use more "AI tools" to target who to pick on for later termination.  They are also starting to really push the "high performance culture" BS more and more lately.  Nope....I don't need that stress and feel bad for all of the younger tenure people.   I'm doing what I'm doing and if they don't like it...F'em.   I must say that it is quite nice to have "FU money" if it comes to that! 

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6741 on: June 15, 2023, 12:21:03 PM »
We crossed a new milestone - $3 million NW or $3.7 million with primary residence equity and college savings. 
Congratulations!
1. The last few years have been amazing for returns so unless you’ve been using some stupid withdrawal rate like > 7%, you’ve probably seen your funds go up over the past decade. Dont set yourself up for disappointment if that doesn’t happen for you.
2. If you have a gig where it’s hard to go back after leaving, it’s a lot different than if you can pick up more work at the same pay in a year or two. If you’re in the latter category just think of what you're doing as taking a leave of absence. If you’re in the former, just do the math and see if you really need the extra $$$ OMY would provide.
3. You can repeat to yourself the mantra, “After a point it’s just adding on to the pile”

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6742 on: June 15, 2023, 01:13:05 PM »
We crossed a new milestone - $3 million NW or $3.7 million with primary residence equity and college savings.  I thought I'd scale back at $1M, then $1.5M, then I thought full retirement at $2.5M.  We're still working, though and enjoying the social interaction, savings rate, and several big travel opportunities this year.  I'm reluctant to pull the plug with uncertain inflation, multiple college educations coming at us in the next ten years, and a general unease about converting the NW into cash flow.  That said, as I approach the mid-century mark, we have little downside risk in our investments other than general market risk, and we have a couple of investments with nice upside potential.  Social Security is out there for (possible) assistance as the kids finish college, and it's possible we could inherit something, though that doesn't factor into any planning (and frankly we'd like to see less miserliness and more fun for themselves).

How do you overcome this?  Ole Benny Franklin said there are two certainties in life, "Death and Taxes."  Every hour you work brings you one more hour towards your death.  Every dollar you make is taxed.  Every year you work, you give many months of your life to the government via your taxes.  Do you want to do what they want you to do with your time or what you want to do with your time?  Which is worth more, more stuff or more rewarding experiences?  Think about that a little and then read about half a dozen Mr. Money Mustache articles that he has written.  The fact that you are posting herein shows you are already stepping in what many consider a preferred direction.

By the way, I am not one of these libertarian anti government types, just a pro me type.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6743 on: June 15, 2023, 03:18:54 PM »

How do you overcome this?  Ole Benny Franklin said there are two certainties in life, "Death and Taxes."  Every hour you work brings you one more hour towards your death.  Every dollar you make is taxed.  Every year you work, you give many months of your life to the government via your taxes.  Do you want to do what they want you to do with your time or what you want to do with your time?  Which is worth more, more stuff or more rewarding experiences?  Think about that a little and then read about half a dozen Mr. Money Mustache articles that he has written.  The fact that you are posting herein shows you are already stepping in what many consider a preferred direction.

By the way, I am not one of these libertarian anti government types, just a pro me type.

I went back to work for similar to bolded reasons, right choice but I am over it.   I've padded the college accounts, set aside some funds for big family trips, money for a replacement car.   I thought I would go at it for 1-3 years but now I am think calling it in September.  Why not now?  I could but we have a bunch of larger expenses between now and the and a long expensive vacay....so while the expenses are mostly part of our normal budget and the vacay has already been covered I figure why not get a paid vacation.

The people are fine, they type of work is fine, but I have come to the realization that it's just too many hours of my life to to be doing something on someone else's schedule.   

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6744 on: June 15, 2023, 05:12:28 PM »
I too find myself still showing up to work although I've sailed past several milestones that qualify as 'enough' and 'more than enough'...  I have taken a very relaxed approach toward work now that Covid is over, in hopes that maybe I'll get a severance package, but it appears that I'm still making my employer happy enough.  So nowadays we're at a balance where I'm probably doing a bit more work than I should, but my employer is probably paying me more than they should.  Throw in the free health care for the family (my college-age son is now 20, daughter will be a senior and bound for college soon), the elevated bonus and long term incentives I'd have to give up, and the increase in my allowable 401k contributions...  I guess I'm still coming out ahead on the deal.  But I do tell DW that I look forward to her pulling the plug so we can travel the world together once the kids are both in college...  We can do a lot of travel while I'm still working, including an expat assignment, but she's an elementary school teacher.  She has taught at international schools though...  who knows.

I take a very creative view toward paying taxes - I view it as my charitable, 'for the greater good' placeholder until I can devote more time to these endeavors.  I know I should be more philanthropic given all my good fortune and all the need in the world, but working extra and paying taxes scratches some of this itch in the meantime.

arcturus

• Stubble
« Reply #6745 on: June 17, 2023, 07:55:05 AM »
As one of the "poorer" member of this thread (~$2.4M invested; ~$2.9M net -- thanks to the month of June!), given my experiences, I personally would find it difficult to pull the trigger before the children are through school (college or otherwise) and showing clear signs of stability and happiness in their chosen career path.  I speak from experience as I have situations where 4 years turns into 5 years for one and another where there was not happiness with the career path once they graduated and found themselves wanting to go back to school for multiple years to find a different profession.   If I were to do the math (which I don't want to), I would guesstimate that I spent well over $100K above and beyond undergraduate costs on trying to remedy these situations, and I'm still not done with all of the fallout from it.  For many on this thread, these types of numbers won't matter I suppose.

My point in all of this is that, at the ages of 18-25 a lot can happen that changes things....and you need to consider what approach you will take in the event things don't go as planned/hoped.  Will you swoop in an patch things up financially -- or will you say "I've done my part, now you're on your own?"    I have probably over-done it on the side of being there for the bail-outs of every bad situation, my decision, I'll live with it.   

Congrats to all on the accomplishments above!   I am thrilled to see the numbers moving in the right direction again! 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6746 on: June 17, 2023, 12:14:44 PM »
@arcturus Oh boy yeah you are virtually destitute!

I feel the same way though as I "Only" have $2.9M invested as of yesterday... Sometimes I wonder how I will make ends meet...:)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6747 on: June 17, 2023, 12:35:12 PM »
My point in all of this is that, at the ages of 18-25 a lot can happen that changes things....and you need to consider what approach you will take in the event things don't go as planned/hoped.  Will you swoop in an patch things up financially -- or will you say "I've done my part, now you're on your own?"    I have probably over-done it on the side of being there for the bail-outs of every bad situation, my decision, I'll live with it.   

I did a bit of bail outs, a bit of "you made your bed, now lie in it".

I also FIREd before my kids were through that stage.  My deal with myself was that I wouldn't let my FIRE impact their education.  I had what I thought would be enough.  But if they needed more, then I would pay for it out of my FIRE stash (rather than / in addition to their college stash).  If that broke my FIRE plan I would go back to work.

There were ups and downs along the way financially but in the end collectively it looks like they're going to be under budget overall.  And my own FIRE stash has grown due to 2016 being so far a good FIRE year.

arcturus

• Stubble
« Reply #6748 on: June 17, 2023, 01:44:37 PM »

I did a bit of bail outs, a bit of "you made your bed, now lie in it".

I also FIREd before my kids were through that stage.  My deal with myself was that I wouldn't let my FIRE impact their education.  I had what I thought would be enough.  But if they needed more, then I would pay for it out of my FIRE stash (rather than / in addition to their college stash).  If that broke my FIRE plan I would go back to work.

There were ups and downs along the way financially but in the end collectively it looks like they're going to be under budget overall.  And my own FIRE stash has grown due to 2016 being so far a good FIRE year.

Makes a lot of sense, and that option of going back to work is always out there I guess.  And yes, I've got to turn the corner on the "I've done my part, the rest is up to you..."    I'm almost there, but not quite. 

And again, given some of the numbers I've seen on this thread, I'm not sure a $100-250K surprise would matter much! 

arcturus

• Stubble
« Reply #6749 on: June 17, 2023, 01:47:03 PM »
@arcturus Oh boy yeah you are virtually destitute!

I feel the same way though as I "Only" have $2.9M invested as of yesterday... Sometimes I wonder how I will make ends meet...:)

Start selling the furniture!!  :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!