Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1270117 times)

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
Re: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!
« Reply #5600 on: November 30, 2021, 04:17:48 AM »
I'm not sure when I will transition from saving to spending, but it might be as soon as next year (I hope if not then certainly the one after).  I am and always have been a natural saver.  I look at my kids and even my DS (age 4) who I initially thought was definitely a spender has started to put things to one side for later, and DD finds it almost impossible NOT to save Halloween chocolate etc. (and more generally to halt the passing of time in any way possible - preserving things, taking care of end-of-season bugs and fallen leaves, drawing things, taking pictures/video to remember) so maybe it's just inbuilt.

One thing I was wondering about, given my ridiculous stash, was to mentally "pay" myself a fairly aggressive WR (e.g. 3.5% or 4%), and then anything I don't save from that I can still consider "savings".

Is this nuts to think I can "fool myself" this way?  I'm a bit worried about the transition you are talking about @BeanCounter.  I have very simple projection models that have an annual spending rate - if I can put one in that seems safe and then not spend all of it, I wonder if I will somehow feel as if I'm still saving even as I draw down?  Especially given that volatility in the market is likely to make the path of my stash going forward look anything like a gentle decline path anyway...

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5601 on: November 30, 2021, 07:15:35 AM »
I dont think your an outlier , perhaps its because based on what your saying is a lot how I perceive things. Most here as you say have won the game and while there will be hurdles along the way I as well spend more time defending it wiping me out than trying to get that extra percentage point in gains per sae. I think to for me I am at a very expensive time with buying a house 2 years ago I seemingly will be remodeling forever and will have my 3rd in college and still another to go. So I keep things well enough so if we have a huge correction I dont need to say remodel a room or buy a new car but as long as I am a certain percentage above my minimum NW amount then I continue to move forward knocking things off my list and which frankly will pay me off in the long run.

When I see folks wrestling with buying new cars, I feel like an outlier.  I'm not in the market for anything ridiculous, but I have no problem going online, picking a car and researching a reasonable price, then going to the dealership and getting it done.  I've bought 3 brand new cars in the last 5 years and my net worth continued to go up by leaps and bounds.  I take care of our cars, so it's nice to not be buying used and worrying about the previous owner.  I imagine the cars will last 10+ years, so the cost per year isn't really all that bad, and we've prepared for these purchases by having plenty of cash on hand.  It's quite liberating for me to have that obligatory chat with the finance guys then write the one check and drive away.  We've worked and planned to get to this level of financial freedom, might as well put that super-power to use!

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5602 on: November 30, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »
Hello all, I've just managed to squeak into this thread this month (2.01 MM). I'm struggling a bit with my plan at this point, but continuing to work for now.

One thing I was wondering about, given my ridiculous stash, was to mentally "pay" myself a fairly aggressive WR (e.g. 3.5% or 4%), and then anything I don't save from that I can still consider "savings".

I've played with a similar mental approach. It is common advice to save 15% of your income if you want to pay for a normal retirement, so I figure if my "retirement income" exceeds my spending by 15%, I have no more reason to worry about the future than if I was still working a typical job. There are a lot of ways you could calculate retirement income, but one way would be to to pick a WR you would be comfortable with (your 3.5% or 4%). Another way would be to see how big an annuity you could buy with your NW. It's all just mental gymnastics, but if it makes you feel better it has done its job.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5603 on: November 30, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »
Hello all, I've just managed to squeak into this thread this month (2.01 MM). I'm struggling a bit with my plan at this point, but continuing to work for now.

I've played with a similar mental approach. It is common advice to save 15% of your income if you want to pay for a normal retirement, so I figure if my "retirement income" exceeds my spending by 15%, I have no more reason to worry about the future than if I was still working a typical job. There are a lot of ways you could calculate retirement income, but one way would be to to pick a WR you would be comfortable with (your 3.5% or 4%). Another way would be to see how big an annuity you could buy with your NW. It's all just mental gymnastics, but if it makes you feel better it has done its job.

Congratulations on your success.

Lots of folks on this site have warned me away from annuities.  I guess someone is investing your money to make that money and you could be the one investing that money yourself.  The middle man (or woman) is eliminated if you invest the money yourself.  IF you figure on living for a while yet, a standard annuity will take the inflation hit.

Of course, they are always inventing new types of investment vehicles and maybe there is a good one.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5604 on: November 30, 2021, 11:41:16 AM »

Lots of folks on this site have warned me away from annuities.  I guess someone is investing your money to make that money and you could be the one investing that money yourself.  The middle man (or woman) is eliminated if you invest the money yourself.  IF you figure on living for a while yet, a standard annuity will take the inflation hit.

Of course, they are always inventing new types of investment vehicles and maybe there is a good one.

To be clear: I'm not recommending actually purchasing an annuity, but just saying that getting a quote on an SPIA (from immediateannuities.com, for example) is one way of estimating a safe withdrawal rate.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5605 on: November 30, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »

Lots of folks on this site have warned me away from annuities. I guess someone is investing your money to make that money and you could be the one investing that money yourself.  The middle man (or woman) is eliminated if you invest the money yourself.  IF you figure on living for a while yet, a standard annuity will take the inflation hit.

I am not really foe or against annuities and think they are more situational, but bolded part that most use tonargue against is technically true but practically false.   As an individual you take on the all the risks of depletion (bad AA, SORR, dumb decisions) and get all of the upside potential, most of usbthink that is a fair trade. 

But annuities aren't really subject to any of those risks so you don't give the upside potential.  Sure there is the fees that the middleman takes but the real difference is that the insurance companies spread these risks over very broad pools and durations.  So they will take it on the chin when any one beneficiary was signed at a bad SORR time or lives really long but those are offset by those that die early or have policies issued back in 2011.   

So it's not really fair or accurate to say that annuities are bad, or worse than doing it yourself, they are simply a risk mitigation tool for those that need/desire certainty and predictability of cash flows throughout some defined duration. 

All that said, the fees and discount rates are where they can really screw you and make DIY more favorable. 

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5606 on: November 30, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »
Also... can't annuities default? They're not FDIC insured or anything.

If you have your own investments, they can only "default" if everything goes to zero, literally.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #5607 on: November 30, 2021, 01:34:49 PM »
Also... can't annuities default? They're not FDIC insured or anything.

If you have your own investments, they can only "default" if everything goes to zero, literally.

They're backed by the financial strength of the insurance company.  The insurance companies certainly try to avoid not paying their annuity contracts, so they'll pay out until they face bankruptcy.  It's not common but there have been insurance companies that have gone bankrupt - my family had some life insurance policies from one that went bankrupt about 30 years ago.

Insurance companies tend to invest in fairly boring and conservative things, and they tend to diversify, so usually there's not that much risk unless the company just gets a wild hair and decides to invest imprudently, or if there is substantially poor mismanagement in general.

If that does happen, there can be state insurance funds that insurance companies pay into as sort of a re-insurance type of arrangement.  There can also be other insurance companies that will buy an insolvent company and take over the contracts - I believe that is what happened in my family's case.

Here's a Forbes article that talks about this stuff:  https://www.forbes.com/advisor/life-insurance/company-out-of-business/

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5608 on: November 30, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »
If that does happen, there can be state insurance funds that insurance companies pay into as sort of a re-insurance type of arrangement.  There can also be other insurance companies that will buy an insolvent company and take over the contracts - I believe that is what happened in my family's case.

Indeed, all states have what are called guaranty associations that provide some protection similar to the FDIC. See: https://www.annuity.org/annuities/regulations/state-guaranty-associations/

I looked up all this when I parked some cash in a MYGA (multi year guaranteed annuity) a few years ago.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5609 on: November 30, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »

Indeed, all states have what are called guaranty associations that provide some protection similar to the FDIC. See: https://www.annuity.org/annuities/regulations/state-guaranty-associations/

I looked up all this when I parked some cash in a MYGA (multi year guaranteed annuity) a few years ago.

Was the return anywhere close to what you would have obtained from index funds?

I realize you are greatly lowering your risk and sometimes have a guaranteed return.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5610 on: November 30, 2021, 05:32:44 PM »
One "off label" use of an SPIA is as a cheaper trust for adult kids who you want to leave money to, but know they'll have it completely spent in 2 months if you give each a million dollars.  Buy the SPIA or a deferred annuity and the cost to maintain is zero and you don't have to do tax returns annually.  It's one of the things we're thinking about.

Any of those Universal Live or variable anything or index something or whole life are all garbage and you really shouldn't even consider them unless you like paying an 8% commission and then 3% a year and get the S&P 500 return, but not the dividends.

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5611 on: November 30, 2021, 07:05:32 PM »
Jan 2021 - 1.19m$
Feb 2021 - 1.23m$
Mar 2021 - 1.28m$
Apr 2021 - 1.35m$
May 2021 - 2.65m$
June 2021 - 2.61m$
July 2021 - 2.62m$
August 2021 - 2.82m$
September 2021 - 2.79m$
October 2021 - 2.87m$
November 2021 - 2.89m$

Slowly getting towards the 3m mark probably not gonna make it this year, but Q1 - 2022 after retiring.

31 days to fire

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #5612 on: November 30, 2021, 10:10:56 PM »
Somewhere in this cohort and find it interesting that weekly swings in the market make a larger difference in SWR than years of labor.  Which only reduces the motivation to work when market whims are more important than using the correct cover sheet on the TPS reports. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5613 on: November 30, 2021, 11:07:47 PM »
We're down $30k since October.   Meh.   And over half of that was hiring out some big jobs to tradespeople to do things to our home.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5614 on: December 01, 2021, 03:24:16 AM »
Was the return anywhere close to what you would have obtained from index funds?

I realize you are greatly lowering your risk and sometimes have a guaranteed return.

Way less than an index fund, but that's not the purpose of the MYGA - its an alternative to leaving cash in money market funds and savings accounts. I try to maintain an overall AA of 70/30 but in our case, even the 30% in bonds/cash/safe investments has become a large amount in absolute terms so I am always on the lookout for alternatives.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5615 on: December 02, 2021, 02:10:13 AM »
What a reversal in the markets yesterday once it was announced the first case of the new Variant was detected in the USA. Those machines really kicked in and in 15-30 minutes max a lot of wealth was wiped out. Bit surprised in that this is not the first variant so probably really more of a reasons based on Black Swan Powell's comments the other day. In any case one or two more days like that and time to put some extra cash to work. Might be another Flash Crash like in 2020 but who knows anything. All speculation at this point but an interesting day. Its nice being in a position where it might create an opportunity though vs a Panic event because there was for sure some panic selling yesterday.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5616 on: December 02, 2021, 03:45:03 AM »
Quite weird given it was always clearly going to be in the US already, so hardly new news.  Not far down though given the run up to here. Will be interesting to see if the market takes a dimmer view of this as more facts emerge...

Sent from my EB2103 using Tapatalk

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5617 on: December 02, 2021, 05:09:19 AM »
Quite weird given it was always clearly going to be in the US already, so hardly new news.  Not far down though given the run up to here. Will be interesting to see if the market takes a dimmer view of this as more facts emerge...

I think whats important that the media is not sharing is that no one that has contracted the new Variant in South Africa has been hospitalized because of it. I think thats something that should be being shared. I wasnt able to copy the article but here is the jist of it and link of people have access to Twitter-

1/Dr. Coetzee, Chair of S. African Med Soc & active practitioner, caring for C19 omicron patients: “No one here in South Africa is known to have been hospitalized with the Omicron variant, nor is anyone here believed to have fallen seriously ill with it” https://dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10256373/Dr-ANGELIQUE-COETZEE-discovered-Omicron-says-reacting-threat.html

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5618 on: December 02, 2021, 05:39:27 AM »
I think whats important that the media is not sharing is that no one that has contracted the new Variant in South Africa has been hospitalized because of it.

Viewers, clicks and ratings......."new variant threatens to shut down the economy again and end humanity!"

SL4 ask......"Nothing to see here, move along. 🥱"

Sorry SL4, your story is DOA!  And your fired!

Haha

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5619 on: December 02, 2021, 05:46:56 AM »
I think whats important that the media is not sharing is that no one that has contracted the new Variant in South Africa has been hospitalized because of it.

Viewers, clicks and ratings......."new variant threatens to shut down the economy again and end humanity!"

SL4 ask......"Nothing to see here, move along. 🥱"

Sorry SL4, your story is DOA!  And your fired!

Haha

haha...Guess there could be worse things!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5620 on: December 02, 2021, 06:35:20 AM »

I think whats important that the media is not sharing is that no one that has contracted the new Variant in South Africa has been hospitalized because of it. I think thats something that should be being shared. I wasnt able to copy the article but here is the jist of it and link of people have access to Twitter-

1/Dr. Coetzee, Chair of S. African Med Soc & active practitioner, caring for C19 omicron patients: “No one here in South Africa is known to have been hospitalized with the Omicron variant, nor is anyone here believed to have fallen seriously ill with it” https://dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10256373/Dr-ANGELIQUE-COETZEE-discovered-Omicron-says-reacting-threat.html

Not sure what new you watch, but the phrase I used an hour ago to.uodate my husband was "more contagious, less brutal," because that is the gist of what I am seeing reported.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5621 on: December 02, 2021, 08:16:21 AM »
I think I've read that it's a bit early to tell on hospitalisations, as the identified cases in SA are still new (so people may get hospitalised later in the course of the illness: it's often week 2 that people end up in hospital), and also because the SA population is much younger (but also less vaccinated, and with a lot more HIV positivity).  So basically we need to wait and see.

Anyway, will be keeping fingers and toes crossed that it turns out not to be so very different from Delta (or at least, not in a bad direction - quite happy for it to be milder obviously!)  Based on modelling I've seen, if it is more transmissible the really big numbers still won't hit us until spring, assuming we're starting from a very small base.  I suspect a lot will depend on how fast we can roll out the boosters and how good Omicron is at evading them...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5622 on: December 02, 2021, 08:39:17 AM »

Not sure what new you watch, but the phrase I used an hour ago to.uodate my husband was "more contagious, less brutal," because that is the gist of what I am seeing reported.

That shows the problem with the media. Some that make light of things and some that make everything the end of the world. My source is right there out of SA. GSK reported today this which is good news -

WION
@WIONews
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has said that its coronavirus drug called 'Sotrovimab' is effective against the Omicron variant

#OmicronVariant #OmicronInIndia
wionews.com
GlaxoSmithKline says Covid drug effective against Omicron variant
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has said that its coronavirus drug called sotrovimab is effective against the Omicron variant. The British pharmaceutical industry company had conducted a trial against key...
7:40 AM · Dec 2, 2021·TweetDeck

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5623 on: December 02, 2021, 09:14:53 AM »
I didn't vote for Mr. Trump, but he sure was right about the fake news thing. He made me much more aware that what they tell is what they want you to hear.

Just the same, I should get the third shot.

These dips haven't lasted long.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5624 on: December 02, 2021, 09:51:36 AM »
I didn't vote for Mr. Trump, but he sure was right about the fake news thing. He made me much more aware that what they tell is what they want you to hear.

I am with you on that. I looked at my card this morning I had my first shot middle of March. So 7 plus months. I just had surgery two weeks ago so need to find out if any issues with that but I want to get the booster as soon as reasonably possible. My neighbor just got Covid 2 days ago and our state hospitalizations is up 30% in the last month. Gonna be with us for awhile for sure.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 04:53:59 AM by soccerluvof4 »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5625 on: December 02, 2021, 02:10:03 PM »

I think that SOB is a pathological liar.

The media tend to tell lots of news but they give a big focus on some of it.   If you're attentive you'll find the rest of the news.

It's a major qualitative difference.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5626 on: December 02, 2021, 06:33:44 PM »
Call me a dirty market timer but I did a small Roth conversion yesterday and threw 30k of spare cash into FZROX.  Love getting shares on sale!  I also snagged 10k in Ibonds in time to get the November interest payment.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5627 on: December 03, 2021, 02:53:42 AM »
Call me a dirty market timer but I did a small Roth conversion yesterday and threw 30k of spare cash into FZROX.  Love getting shares on sale!  I also snagged 10k in Ibonds in time to get the November interest payment.

As it happens, I was thinking of moving some of our cash into stocks too. But this dip is almost a rounding error in comparison with our long term capital gains.

For the past couple of days, I have been creating a spreadsheet with the actual cost basis of an S&P index fund (FXAIX) that we have been buying regularly (post-tax) for over twenty years. I have been doing this because the Fidelity website only has average values for the cost basis. At some point in the next few years, we may actually have to sell some of these shares.

Look at the prices of FXAIX 11 years ago:

2/5/2010      37.75
3/5/2010      40.41
4/5/2010      42.19
4/9/2010      42.29
5/5/2010      41.31
6/7/2010      37.30
7/6/2010      36.56
7/9/2010      38.17
8/5/2010      39.90
9/7/2010      38.79
10/1/2010      40.58
10/5/2010      41.10
11/5/2010      43.46
12/6/2010      43.46
12/17/2010  43.97

Each share is now $159. Back in 2010, we were investing $1000 per month post-tax and even that amount seemed like a huge leap of faith that the future would be better. I used to compute our net worth once every other year and get depressed at how little it had increased.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5628 on: December 03, 2021, 05:00:17 AM »

The media tend to tell lots of news but they give a big focus on some of it.   If you're attentive you'll find the rest of the news.

I am not Trump fan but what @pecunia is simply saying in my view is exactly what your touching on. Just saying Trump made them more aware. Not sure what SOB or pathological liar has to do with what is the truth of all media outlets today as there is not one that just reports the news and sadly why should one have to parse through and try to figure out the truth or not. As a whole they should be held to a higher standard and be held responsible for what they publish. Making an agenda to make it a political thing about one President has nothing to do with it as any President in the white house feels the same way about it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5629 on: December 03, 2021, 08:23:25 AM »

I am not Trump fan but what @pecunia is simply saying in my view is exactly what your touching on. Just saying Trump made them more aware. Not sure what SOB or pathological liar has to do with what is the truth of all media outlets today as there is not one that just reports the news and sadly why should one have to parse through and try to figure out the truth or not. As a whole they should be held to a higher standard and be held responsible for what they publish. Making an agenda to make it a political thing about one President has nothing to do with it as any President in the white house feels the same way about it.
Topic \ News SourceNews 1News 2Trump
AtruthtruthLIES
BTRUTHtruthLIES
CtruthTRUTHLIES
DtrutruthLIES
EtrutLIES
FruthLIES

That's how it is for actual news agencies and Trump on topics.
Most of the difference is on emphasis of the topic and how much attention is given to it.
The national TV news can only focus on a minute fraction of the news.

Now, it's important to recognize that some "news" sources aren't "news" sources at all.  They are categorized as "infotainment".

For example, most of the programming on Fox is "infotainment", not actual news sources.   Infotainment isn't held to any professional standards as to news coverage or truthfulness.  Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones are among the more prominent ones proven in court to be liars.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5630 on: December 03, 2021, 08:48:08 AM »

Topic \ News SourceNews 1News 2Trump
AtruthtruthLIES
BTRUTHtruthLIES
CtruthTRUTHLIES
DtrutruthLIES
EtrutLIES
FruthLIES

That's how it is for actual news agencies and Trump on topics.
Most of the difference is on emphasis of the topic and how much attention is given to it.
The national TV news can only focus on a minute fraction of the news.

Now, it's important to recognize that some "news" sources aren't "news" sources at all.  They are categorized as "infotainment".

For example, most of the programming on Fox is "infotainment", not actual news sources.   Infotainment isn't held to any professional standards as to news coverage or truthfulness. Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones are among the more prominent ones proven in court to be liars.
Who?

LoanShark

• Stubble
« Reply #5631 on: December 03, 2021, 08:59:39 AM »
Take the political commentary somewhere else. Geez.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5632 on: December 03, 2021, 10:23:36 AM »

Agreed! enough of that shit on other threads.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5633 on: December 03, 2021, 11:02:06 AM »

Especially since the top is ACTUALLY IN! Have you seen the markets today??!!1?!11111

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5634 on: December 03, 2021, 05:31:11 PM »

Especially since the top is ACTUALLY IN! Have you seen the markets today??!!1?!11111
No. Should I care?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5635 on: December 03, 2021, 06:51:04 PM »

Should we start discussing whether to pay off the mortgage or not?  Anything else that could bring about fisticuffs??

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5636 on: December 03, 2021, 07:01:04 PM »

Should we start discussing whether to pay off the mortgage or not?  Anything else that could bring about fisticuffs??

Sure, we could discuss how the 4% "rule" isn't at all safe and needs to be a 1% rule!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5637 on: December 03, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »

Sure, we could discuss how the 4% "rule" isn't at all safe and needs to be a 1% rule!
Aw, heck, if you're in this club, you might already be at 1%. Therefore, not news. Ho-hum.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5638 on: December 03, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »

Aw, heck, if you're in this club, you might already be at 1%. Therefore, not news. Ho-hum.

You think I'm in the 1% club instead of the 3.732537th club%??!!   Them's fightin' words!!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:34:28 PM by SwordGuy »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5639 on: December 04, 2021, 01:02:27 AM »

You think I'm in the 1% club instead of the 3.732537th club%??!!   Them's fightin' words!!!
Yeah, stop waving that shiny sword at me. That was "you" plural, or as they like to say in the South, y'all, or all y'all. As in every member of this club. That's you and you and you. All of youse.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5640 on: December 04, 2021, 02:48:58 AM »

Ok this made me laugh out loud with hot coffee in my hand...not good! haha

Market is gagging. Down back of the book math around 75k but oh well Not like I am going back to work!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5641 on: December 04, 2021, 11:57:12 AM »

Market is gagging. Down back of the book math around 75k but oh well Not like I am going back to work!

We’ll either want to kill every stranger we’ve never met or have a good laugh, that’s the magic of the season (oh yeah, and the internet)…

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5642 on: December 05, 2021, 03:48:17 AM »

We’ll either want to kill every stranger we’ve never met or have a good laugh, that’s the magic of the season (oh yeah, and the internet)…

Well said!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5643 on: December 05, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »
Hey what's been up gang?  Market took a slight dump.  Ho hum. 
Me and my bicycle spend last week out on the Natchez Trace.  Went with all my camping gear for 220 miles of solo cycling.  I was able to exercise off all that Thanksgiving crap.   It was out and back between Natchez Mississippi and Jackson Mississippi.   I parked my truck at Rocky Springs Campground.  I did a hotel night in Jackson and Natchez, while camping at Rocky Springs near the midpoint.  I could have just left the camping gear at the truck and rode lighter.  Instead I wanted to simulate a point to point and train with the added weight as a shakedown.  The four days of riding did teach me some things.  One, even the stuff you can strap to a bicycle is too much stuff.  Two, it's nice to have money.  In Jackson and Natchez I stayed in nicer hotels.  I still got them on Priceline for about $100 bucks a night, but there were $50 options available.  What the hell is $50 bucks to us? 
Three, I'm ready for retirement.  I enjoyed my week alone so much, I can't wait for the freedom to explore more on my bicycle and with my backpack. 
I'd been studying up on the Civil War battles prior to the trip.  The battle of Vicksburg Mississippi was laid out in this area.   Sure you can reach it all by car.  But that's too fast.  Your mind needs to take in the terrain and your muscles need to feel the hills.  Even at 10 miles per hour pedaling a loaded down bicycle it's too fast.  But, it gets you closer to the land.  I saw the fields they camped in and the streams they drank from. 
I hope to complete the Natchez Trace from Nashville back to Jackson in the Spring.  Just wanted to share a bit of the experience.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 11:07:36 AM by Bateaux »

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #5644 on: December 05, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
Me and my bicycle spend last week out on the Natchez Trace.  Went with all my camping gear for 220 miles of solo cycling.  I was able to exercise off all that Thanksgiving crap.   It was out and back between Natchez Mississippi and Jackson Mississippi.   I parked my truck at Rocky Springs Campground.  I did a hotel night in Jackson and Natchez, while camping at Rocky Springs near the midpoint.  I could have just left the camping gear at the truck and rode lighter.  Instead I wanted to simulate a point to point and train with the added weight as a shakedown.  The four days of riding did teach me some things.  One, even the stuff you can strap to a bicycle is too much stuff.  Two, it's nice to have money.  In Jackson and Natchez I stayed in nicer hotels.  I still got them on Priceline for about $100 bucks a night, but there were $50 options available.  What the hell is $50 bucks to us? 
Three, I'm ready for retirement.  I enjoyed my week alone so much, I can't wait for the freedom to explore more on my bicycle and with my backpack. 
I'd been studying up on the Civil War battles prior to the trip.  The battle of Vicksburg Mississippi was laid out in this area.   Sure you can reach it all by car.  But that's too fast.  Your mind needs to take in the terrain and your muscles need to feel the hills.  Even at 10 miles per hour pedaling a loaded down bicycle it's too fast.  But, it gets you closer to the land.  I saw the fields they camped in and the streams they drank from. 
I hope to complete the Natchez Trace from Nashville back to Jackson in the Spring.  Just wanted to share a bit of the experience.

Right on, Bateaux! 

Longer bike trips -solo or otherwise- are one of my own motivations for ER, too.  My big bucket list ride is the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.  Good on you for starting to figure out the mechanics of riding with gear.  I've only done a little bit of that myself, but every year I get a little more confident with the mechanics of it.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5645 on: December 05, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »

Right on, Bateaux! 

Longer bike trips -solo or otherwise- are one of my own motivations for ER, too.  My big bucket list ride is the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.  Good on you for starting to figure out the mechanics of riding with gear.  I've only done a little bit of that myself, but every year I get a little more confident with the mechanics of it.

The Divide route is on my radar.  Maybe in sections and not all at once for the race.  Good luck and enjoy the journey getting there.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5646 on: December 05, 2021, 12:43:54 PM »
Bateaux:
You might want to see Port Hudson in your neighborhood.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Port_Hudson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Hudson_State_Historic_Site

Walking near still-deep trenches 150 years old is a humbling experience.

I'd been studying up on the Civil War battles prior to the trip.  The battle of Vicksburg Mississippi was laid out in this area.   Sure you can reach it all by car.  But that's too fast.  Your mind needs to take in the terrain and your muscles need to feel the hills.  Even at 10 miles per hour pedaling a loaded down bicycle it's too fast.  But, it gets you closer to the land.  I saw the fields they camped in and the streams they drank from.  .....

Just do it!...

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5647 on: December 05, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »

Something good to dream about and maybe even plan for as I look out the window and see the freezing rain cover the deck.  My panniers work fine for grocery hauling so this sounds do-able.  Once again, you've made the book, "Miles From Nowhere," pop into my head.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5648 on: December 07, 2021, 09:41:54 PM »
I did some Math today.  My net worth is now greater than the amount I’ve earned in a W2 job.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5649 on: December 08, 2021, 12:17:33 AM »
I did some Math today.  My net worth is now greater than the amount I’ve earned in a W2 job.
Congratulations! Mine is too, but I suspect I'm way older than you, meaning it took me a lot longer to get there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!