Author Topic: Race from $2M to $3M  (Read 21982 times)

Jill P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Race from $2M to $3M
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2018, 12:04:20 AM »
Where the hell y'all been?  Must have been out spending some of that money.  Not one post since 12-14-2018.  Me I've been moving some stuff around.  Been buying VBTLX ans selling some stock funds like VINIX that are up like 25%.  I was fully invested all year and finally getting some bond exposure.  I've also bought some individual stocks that have been dogs.  Mostly GE and AT&T.  GE I bought again today at blood in the street level.  AT&T has already added a 10% increase in price since buying a month ago.

Yup!  Out spending some of that money and being with the ones we love.  Our family spent the holidays together in Europe.  It was one of the best Christmases and New Years we've ever had.  A real change of pace.  We want to build memories, and this was a home run.  The parents (me/DH) came home and the kids are still there, getting themselves around with no parental help or funds, finding their way to hostels, etc. 

Today is the first day I had a chance to peek at the thread.  I'm glad to see so many new posts.  I also took a look at Mint, for my 2018.  My updates are very outdated, and things are more rosy than it shows.  Some passwords have changed, a few accounts were never added, etc.  It's a good tool for general tracking.  FWIW, my AT&T stock is one of the bigger lugs in my stock portfolio.   Glad it worked for you with 10% up.   

Bateaux

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2018, 08:15:44 AM »
Hey Jill P.  Glad you had such wonderful family time.  That's really what it's all for right?  Yep, you're right AT&T as well as GE were pretty bad in 2017.  I'd not owned them till December at the very bottom.   They are both up nicely for me now.  I did go to about 15% in VBTLX.  I've never owned bond's or bond funds in my life.  That's where I'm losing money.  JL Collins says it helps smooth the ride, we will see.  Even with my dumb move into some bonds we are still up 20k for the year.  Not sure how much further the market can push, we'll enjoy it while it does.  Glad to see ya back.  Happy Mardi Gras.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
 ― Antoine de Saint Exupery-

Class of 2019

farmecologist

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
Hey Jill P.  Glad you had such wonderful family time.  That's really what it's all for right?  Yep, you're right AT&T as well as GE were pretty bad in 2017.  I'd not owned them till December at the very bottom.   They are both up nicely for me now.  I did go to about 15% in VBTLX.  I've never owned bond's or bond funds in my life.  That's where I'm losing money.  JL Collins says it helps smooth the ride, we will see.  Even with my dumb move into some bonds we are still up 20k for the year.  Not sure how much further the market can push, we'll enjoy it while it does.  Glad to see ya back.  Happy Mardi Gras.

Interesting about VBTLX.  I just cashed out some very old mutual funds that I've had for years.  Thought it was 'time'.  Plan is to move the proceeds to our taxable brokerage account where we already have a sizeable balance due to some successful 'side gig' stock trading.  I'm struggling a bit on what to do with these funds.  I'm sure much of them will end up back in equities at some point though..however, not 100%. 

PhrugalPhan

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:17 AM »
As of the close today..

Investments $2,003,400

Pensions $504,000

Paid off house approx $400,000

I think by any measure we are in this pool, at least for now..:)

As of close yesterday my GF has her TSP over $1 Mil

My investments are just under $900,000

And our two pensions combined are worth over $1 Mil as well

Paid off house approx. $350,000

The day I can walk out with pension in hand can't come soon enough.

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
With the runup Friday and my adds to taxable, I clicked over $2.3M in investments.

Jill P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
I stayed up late last night doing math.   After I did the math, I realized I've got to come up with a better plan.

I ran some snow ball numbers... if it takes us 8 years to pay off the remaining 600K+ in debt by snowballing 4 remaining loans at an 8K payment per month, I'll still be paying almost $100K in interest over those 8 years.   The interest rate on my real estate property loans is costing me $22K in the next 12 months.  $22K wasted in 2018!  Sacrilege!! 

I've got to face this challenge head on.  I woke up and sent a $5K payment to one of the loans.   I'm waiting for a big check to arrive, and I have earmarked a chunk of change to the debt reduction.  That will speed up the snowball and I'm going to run the numbers again, just as soon as I know the actual figure.   I am sick and tired of paying the banks my hard earned money. 
Disclaimer:  I know there are differing opinions about paying off mortgages vs. stock portfolio investments.  I listen closely to the reasoning on both sides.  Our 4 loans are not all low interest fixed, so I've got more incentive.  Since most of our wealth is from/in real estate, I'm in the "pay off the mortgage, don't put it in the stock market" camp. 

Bateaux

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »
I stayed up late last night doing math.   After I did the math, I realized I've got to come up with a better plan.

I ran some snow ball numbers... if it takes us 8 years to pay off the remaining 600K+ in debt by snowballing 4 remaining loans at an 8K payment per month, I'll still be paying almost $100K in interest over those 8 years.   The interest rate on my real estate property loans is costing me $22K in the next 12 months.  $22K wasted in 2018!  Sacrilege!! 

I've got to face this challenge head on.  I woke up and sent a $5K payment to one of the loans.   I'm waiting for a big check to arrive, and I have earmarked a chunk of change to the debt reduction.  That will speed up the snowball and I'm going to run the numbers again, just as soon as I know the actual figure.   I am sick and tired of paying the banks my hard earned money. 
Disclaimer:  I know there are differing opinions about paying off mortgages vs. stock portfolio investments.  I listen closely to the reasoning on both sides.  Our 4 loans are not all low interest fixed, so I've got more incentive.  Since most of our wealth is from/in real estate, I'm in the "pay off the mortgage, don't put it in the stock market" camp.

There are mathematical equations which state that with current low interest mortage debt you are better off paying the minimum and investing the difference.   Great theory.  Those of us who are older faced much higher interest rates on our mortgages.   My mortgage was financed at 8.5% fixed.  Early payments made sense.  Whatever the current blend of which school of thought yields the most, one fact remains.  We have NW over 2 million on this thread.  Something worked.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
 ― Antoine de Saint Exupery-

Class of 2019

PhrugalPhan

• Stubble
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2018, 07:33:57 AM »
There are mathematical equations which state that with current low interest mortgage debt you are better off paying the minimum and investing the difference.   Great theory.  Those of us who are older faced much higher interest rates on our mortgages.   My mortgage was financed at 8.5% fixed.  Early payments made sense.  Whatever the current blend of which school of thought yields the most, one fact remains.  We have NW over 2 million on this thread.  Something worked.
Exactly.  I split the difference with my investments / payments as I had 6.75% fixed, and those extra principle payments from 2003-08 didn't melt away when the market went south 08-09 like my investments did.  For me being mortgage free since 2011 has been fabulous.