Author Topic: Race from $1M to $2M  (Read 532235 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Race from $1M to $2M
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
What's your net worth now Car Jack ?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:52 PM »
You know those things people use when they need to change a tire on their cars?

Yeah, Car Jack invented those. he's worth $Bazillions.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
Household net worth today is at $1.028M ($785K in investments/cash, $243K in home equity).  It took 19 years to get here--let's see how long it takes to do it again.  They say your first million is the hardest, right?  ;-)
It took me 17 years to get to $1mil crossing that threshold on June 1st 2016.  But since then things have skyrocketed:

- getting to $1.1mil took me six months;
- from $1.1mil to $1.2mil took five months;
- from $1.2mil to $1.3mil took five months.

It's been 1.5 months since I reached $1.3mil and I'm now less than $50K away from $1.4mil.

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #353 on: November 21, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »
Household net worth today is at $1.028M ($785K in investments/cash, $243K in home equity).  It took 19 years to get here--let's see how long it takes to do it again.  They say your first million is the hardest, right?  ;-)
It took me 17 years to get to $1mil crossing that threshold on June 1st 2016.  But since then things have skyrocketed:

It's been 1.5 months since I reached $1.3mil and I'm now less than $50K away from $1.4mil.

Wow!  Talk about rapid progression.  Nice work!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: November 22, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »

Thanks!!  That is very rapid progression owing to the swelling market of the past year.  It wasn't me doing any of the work.  It was all my shares pulling the load!!  The shares that I purchased when I was ages 22 to 30 are doing most of the work!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #355 on: November 22, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »

Thanks!!  That is very rapid progression owing to the swelling market of the past year.  It wasn't me doing any of the work.  It was all my shares pulling the load!!  The shares that I purchased when I was ages 22 to 30 are doing most of the work!!
This is a perfect example of why certain people encourage others to stuff their retirement vehicles full to burstin' before they start prepaying their cheap-ass, fixed rate mortgages. It's amazing what your money will do when you steep it in time. Watching your investments earn more than you do is unbelievable. Better still, start early enough and it happens over and over and over again, like magic, only real.

Hooray for your past, present and future selves, Cornbread O'Malley!

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: November 22, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »

This is a perfect example of why certain people encourage others to stuff their retirement vehicles full to burstin' before they start prepaying their cheap-ass, fixed rate mortgages. It's amazing what your money will do when you steep it in time. Watching your investments earn more than you do is unbelievable. Better still, start early enough and it happens over and over and over again, like magic, only real.

Definitely!  The magic of compound interest is something to behold.  The wife and I have been slowly saving, and while we are not close to FIRE currently, we just crossed that magical $1M mark, thanks to the beauty of compound interest.  Nice seeing our investments do the heavy lifting for us :)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: November 23, 2017, 07:07:44 AM »
Just passed $1M in household net worth (including home equity), so I figured it was time to join this thread!

I'm also participating in the $500K to $1M thread, as I won't feel like a capital-m Millionaire until my account balances hit $1M not counting home equity.  :)  That story is here:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/race-from-500k-to-1m!/msg1774470/#msg1774470

First million is the hardest, but I wouldn't know better as I haven't got to 2 yet :)

I'll vouch for the 2nd M being far easier.  However, part of that might be an artifact of luck...that is, coinciding the accumulation phase to this incredible bull market.

It took us 30 years on a lower middle class income to hit the 1st Million,
ONLY 6 years to get the 2nd million.
  Yes, the bull market helped, and we also started earning more money.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #358 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »
I agree.. I suspect the bull is on its last legs so accumulation for all of us will likely slow from here.. Nobody really knows though.

I don't want to start another 'The top is in thread' :-), but I'm starting to hear more and more
good things about the economy. I'm hoping that because of the stagnate growth during the
Obama economy (although the stock market did great) that we will have a greatly extended
bull market.
The scariest thing is so many talking heads are positive on stock market growth, but I haven't seen 'irrational exuberance' yet! :-)

Some good economic news:
"On the day before Thanksgiving, a range of economic statistics from government and private sources show that the economy continues to have positive momentum heading into the year-end holiday spending season. Data on consumer sentiment, the labor market, and orders at the nations factories posted generally favorable results suggesting continued economic growth with a low risk of recession in coming months."

"The October jobs report released Friday shows a healthy job market, with the economy adding 261,000 jobs — good news after September's hurricanes. The unemployment rate is at 4.1 percent, its lowest in 17 years."

"Consumer sentiment hits 98.5 in November vs. 98 estimate

U.S. consumer sentiment gained more than expected from the mid-month reading.
    Reuters economists expected the measure to hit 98.
    The index reached more-than-a-decade highs in October survey results."

https://www.aier.org/blog/more-good-news-economy
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/11/03/2017-october-jobs-report
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/november-us-consumer-sentiment-index.html

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: November 23, 2017, 07:52:48 AM »
Good points BTD

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: November 27, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »
So.  Who feels special?  What's different about us here, this 5% or less of the population?

Oh Hell, I must have slipped past the guards.

I wish I was special.
But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo.
What hell am I doing here.
I don't belong here.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #361 on: November 27, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
So.  Who feels special?  What's different about us here, this 5% or less of the population?

I wish I was special.
I don't belong here.

Hmm.. yeah imposter syndrome. I certainly feel it. I was out with friends last night and it always comes up... "what do you do".. retired.. WTF?.. You must be rich.. Well of course we're rich duh!

Actually this morning I was crunching some "what if" numbers.. The what if being.. What if our portfolio cratered by 50%?

Well.. it turns out with rental income and a small pension (I could start drawing upon now if I wanted) and using a 3%SWR (on the reduced portfolio) we would have just over two times what our spend was 2 years ago.

Like.. damn we really have ZERO financial worries! (unless we got sued)... But all my friends are at work!

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #362 on: November 27, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »
I wish I was special.
I don't belong here.

Poor analogy.   Thom Yorke is still w*rking..  ha

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #363 on: November 27, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »
I wish I was special.
I don't belong here.

Poor analogy.   Thom Yorke is still w*rking..  ha

Looks like he's worth about 45 million.  Must enjoy the work.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: November 27, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »

I wish I was special.
I don't belong here.

Hmm.. yeah imposter syndrome. I certainly feel it. I was out with friends last night and it always comes up... "what do you do".. retired.. WTF?.. You must be rich.. Well of course we're rich duh!

Actually this morning I was crunching some "what if" numbers.. The what if being.. What if our portfolio cratered by 50%?

Well.. it turns out with rental income and a small pension (I could start drawing upon now if I wanted) and using a 3%SWR (on the reduced portfolio) we would have just over two times what our spend was 2 years ago.

Like.. damn we really have ZERO financial worries! (unless we got sued)... But all my friends are at work!
Still working a while longer ourselves.   50 % drop in stocks and we'd still have NW over 1 million.  In that kind of market many working people would have lost their jobs.  Think we'd still have the advantage.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: November 27, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »

I wish I was special.
I don't belong here.

Darn you! Now that song is going to be in my head all night long. I can live with it. One of the best songs ever!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #366 on: November 28, 2017, 09:19:39 PM »

I hear umbrella insurance is pretty cheap, get that, and you can have closer to zero financial worries if you want

(I hear, because I've been too lazy to ever look into it in depth)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #367 on: November 28, 2017, 09:42:23 PM »

I hear umbrella insurance is pretty cheap, get that, and you can have closer to zero financial worries if you want

Yes that is on the list.. I "hear" its about $400 or so per year for $2m in coverage.. so yeah its cheap and you get free lawyers to defend you too.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #368 on: November 29, 2017, 05:35:05 AM »
Neither of you have umbrella insurance?

And you have a rental property, Frank!

Aggghhh.

Go. Run. Today. Get some umbrella insurance. :)

Way reduce the risk and worry from that "unless we get sued" idea you mentioned.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: November 29, 2017, 07:16:08 AM »

I don't usually calculate net worth, but I guess I could.....

Investments: $2.2M
Bank accounts: $86k (with $27k tuition (semester) + $19k tuition (trimester) coming in December)
House is worth....I don't know.  $600k, maybe.  4 cars, total $50k.  So today's NW: $2.936M

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #370 on: November 29, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »

Yes that is on the list.. I "hear" its about $400 or so per year for $2m in coverage.. so yeah its cheap and you get free lawyers to defend you too.
They're not "free" if you don't have an umbrella policy. The most cost-effective legal representation might slip through your fingers if you don't get this insurance in place. Do so, and then hope you never need it. In my state, it's generally bundled with auto insurance, so start there.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #371 on: November 29, 2017, 08:39:04 AM »
Yup you guys are right.. I will contact our insurance company today.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: November 29, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
Shit.   I don't have umbrella insurance.   

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #373 on: November 29, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »
Yes and my insurance co won't provide Umbrella coverage as we own/rent a manufactured home.. Currently talking to a local broker to see what he can come up with.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: November 29, 2017, 05:44:51 PM »

I don't usually calculate net worth, but I guess I could.....

Investments: $2.2M
Bank accounts: $86k (with $27k tuition (semester) + $19k tuition (trimester) coming in December)
House is worth....I don't know.  $600k, maybe.  4 cars, total $50k.  So today's NW: $2.936M

Wow !!

Acorns

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: November 29, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »

They're not "free" if you don't have an umbrella policy. The most cost-effective legal representation might slip through your fingers if you don't get this insurance in place. Do so, and then hope you never need it. In my state, it's generally bundled with auto insurance, so start there.

Wait, somebody help me out here. I own a couple rental properties, rolling them into my NW puts it around 1.2 million (not including equity in primary residence). Do I need umbrella insurance? What does it protect against (what sort of lawsuit)? We have on our list of "things to do" to put the rentals into an LLC, our lawyer said that can help limit the reach of a lawsuit. We haven't done it yet, though.  Should we do umbrella insurance, LLC, or both? Thank you! (I realize this is taking the thread way off topic, I usually lurk here and don't plan on joining until we have investable assets excluding property value over 1 million).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #376 on: November 30, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
Yes, get umbrella insurance.

IMO, skip the LLC. A lawyer might tell you otherwise.

Get the umbrella insurance either way though.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Acorns

• Stubble
« Reply #377 on: November 30, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
Thank you! I'm going to look into this today!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: November 30, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »
Hey Acorns, stick around.  How you tabulate your NW isn't up to us.  We appreciate more thread members.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: November 30, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »

Indeed and thanks.  Starting young sure does patch up the mistakes.  I made some dumb mistakes along the way like: 1) buying three whole-life insurance policies, 2) investing in front-loaded, active-trading mutual funds with super high expense ratios, 3) $50K property investment that I did not truly understand (net return of investment of $0).  The life insurance policies are gone as are the rip-off mutual funds.  The $50K mistake hurts but broadened my experience in regards to good investments versus bad ones.

The net worth is climbing rapidly, but I still inject in quite a bit of money each month into the current investments.  Plus the quarterly dividends and yearly capital gains adds to the pile too.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #380 on: November 30, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
Neither of you have umbrella insurance?

We should probably get it too. No property of anykind, but we drive every now and then, and have dogs. Getting sued wouldn't be impossible.

It's been on my list of things to look into / do for a while. (I'm lazy, it took like two months in Canada before I finally got and installed the SIM card I meant to in the first week).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #381 on: November 30, 2017, 06:34:36 PM »
I just posted this link on Frank's journal. I knew I'd seen more chat on this topic, but wasn't sure where. Now I see where. Here you go:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/buy-umbrella-insurance/msg0/#new

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #382 on: November 30, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
State Farm was really competitive at $274 for $2m coverage, Their car insurance sadly was much more expensive than what we currently have (they either want your car and/or your house insurance business in order to write an umbrella policy).

Tomorrow I will ask them to quote on the house.

My problem is; in order to get the umbrella to cover my rentals, I have to get liability coverage on the trailer rental.. The insurance company dropped it last year.

If I can't get liability then I'm sorta screwed.. well only if I get sued of course. In that case when the current renter's lease expires at the end of April we will then be out of the business.

I am liking the "not being a landlord" option to be honest..:)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: December 01, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »
I can join this race now. As of yesterday 11/30 my networth is now $1.01M. Although a market drop could put me back under $1M pretty quickly. But at least I now know the feeling of hitting this milestone.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: December 01, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »
Davids:   If the https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-is-in/ thread is correct, you might get to hit the threshold  of $1M many times :-)

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #385 on: December 01, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
Davids:   If the https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-is-in/ thread is correct, you might get to hit the threshold  of $1M many times :-)

You are in the race, great job!  I have joined the race as well, so we will see each other at the finish line.  I suspect however you may find me by the side of the road peacefully reading a book because I have exited this race early.  I hope that is the case for me anyhow.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #386 on: December 01, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
End of month = another spreadsheet cell filled in!  :)

It's astounding to me to see the monthly increase.  We are disciplined savers--we max out two 401(k) accounts and two Roth IRA's every year, plus a little additional savings--but the market run-up has really beefed up the totals.

We'll be paying for some home renovations in the next month or two, which will give us a bit of a "hit" to our numbers, but I may update our home value a bit in my spreadsheet after the renovations are done (maybe about 1/4 of the cost of the actual renovations).

(Posting also in the $500K to $1M thread for liquid assets.)

MonthLiquidNet Worth
Jan-17
$604K
$883K
Feb-17$622K$905K
Mar-17$651K$930K
Apr-17$660K$939K
May-17$675K$954K
Jun-17$694K$967K
Jul-17$717K$991K
Aug-17$721K$1,000K
Sep-17$738K$1,007K
Oct-17$762K$1,033K
Nov-17$782K$1,055K
Dec-17

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #387 on: December 02, 2017, 04:20:47 AM »
Damn, your YTD increase is impressive!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: December 02, 2017, 05:17:12 AM »
End of month = another spreadsheet cell filled in!  :)

It's astounding to me to see the monthly increase.  We are disciplined savers--we max out two 401(k) accounts and two Roth IRA's every year, plus a little additional savings--but the market run-up has really beefed up the totals.

We'll be paying for some home renovations in the next month or two, which will give us a bit of a "hit" to our numbers, but I may update our home value a bit in my spreadsheet after the renovations are done (maybe about 1/4 of the cost of the actual renovations).

Don't be so sure.  I posted the same thing back in September, so far my NW has increased by $40,000 even with paying for a modest whole house remodel and installation of a new 96% efficient furnace and A/C. 

ynotme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
Nice to have the market providing a boost. I thought it was going to be a maybe that I'd hit my goal for the year but I'm comfortably above it.

2014: $1,008k
2015: Goal $1,150k; Actual $1,191k
2016: Goal: $1,325k; Actual $1,353k
2017: Goal: $1,525k; YTD $1,555k
2018: Goal: $1,750k
2019: Goal >$2,000,000

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: December 03, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
Nice to have the market providing a boost. I thought it was going to be a maybe that I'd hit my goal for the year but I'm comfortably above it.

Same here. This crazy bull market is really giving me a tailwind. I wasn't expecting to join you folks in this thread until late 2018 at least.

To be honest, it's making me more anxious rather than more confident. When I'm blowing past my goals this fast, I worry that these gains can't be real or sustainable. Sooner or later, the markets are bound to come crashing back to earth.

I'm still putting money in, because I want to ride the wave as long as it lasts. But I'd feel a lot better about retiring if there was a downturn, even a little one, before I pull the ripcord.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: December 03, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
First million was the easiest for me.  Why?  I never added up my investments until I was at about $1.5M.  It was a surprise to me since the wife and I had small accounts scattered all over the galaxy.  None were very big but there were a lot of them.  It's also why I did well during the 08 downturn.  I didn't even know my Fidelity password.  I had moved an old, big 401k to an IRA and half of the money was sitting in a money market account for years.  Since those years were 07, 08, 09, it worked out fine.
Ha. I've heard that from others, too. They never added it up--and then BOOM! Congrats.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #392 on: December 03, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »

It certainly builds on itself. I wonder how much of it has to do with the bull market.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: December 03, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »

Same here. This crazy bull market is really giving me a tailwind. I wasn't expecting to join you folks in this thread until late 2018 at least.

To be honest, it's making me more anxious rather than more confident. When I'm blowing past my goals this fast, I worry that these gains can't be real or sustainable. Sooner or later, the markets are bound to come crashing back to earth.

I'm still putting money in, because I want to ride the wave as long as it lasts. But I'd feel a lot better about retiring if there was a downturn, even a little one, before I pull the ripcord.

Same here.  This rally just doesn't feel real.  It's very fragile, but it real money right now.  My invested NW goal for 2017 was 1.7M   That is well behind as were approaching 1.85M  The FIRE goal is 2M, that could happen next year.  Not sure I'd be ready to step off onto this mountain top.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: December 04, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Bateaux, You plan to retire in 2019?

If thats the case I would suggest a rebalance now to 70/30 or 80/20. You have plenty of money and can expect some sinificant growth over time with 70% stocks.. But still have bonds to live on for several years.

Just my perspective.

I'm glad to hear this from two of you. I'm graduating in 2019, too. I'm 76% in stocks now. And it's a little higher as I don't include about $20K from a brokerage in that figure. Over the past two years, I've been purchasing bonds with the goal of becoming 70/30.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: December 04, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »

It certainly builds on itself. I wonder how much of it has to do with the bull market.
Probably about 80% of it is due to the market is my guess.  The other 20% is my monthly contributions and quarterly dividends.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #396 on: December 04, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »
Bateaux, You plan to retire in 2019?

If thats the case I would suggest a rebalance now to 70/30 or 80/20. You have plenty of money and can expect some sinificant growth over time with 70% stocks.. But still have bonds to live on for several years.

Just my perspective.

I'm glad to hear this from two of you. I'm graduating in 2019, too. I'm 76% in stocks now. And it's a little higher as I don't include about $20K from a brokerage in that figure. Over the past two years, I've been purchasing bonds with the goal of becoming 70/30.

I have a Prudential retirement account as well thats worth about 350k, growing at 5% and contributions monthly by my employer of 12% of my salary.  That would knock down my stock percentage.  I'm currently buying the Vanguard total bond fund as well as a taxable account.  Going to try and get a couple of hundred thousand in bond related investment soon, there will still be well over a million in the stock market.  Not sure when I'll FIRE.  2019 at the earliest, 2023 at the latest.  If I want company provided health insurance that's 2023 at age 55.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #397 on: December 09, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »

Probably about 80% of it is due to the market is my guess.  The other 20% is my monthly contributions and quarterly dividends.
Nice work! =-)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #398 on: December 14, 2017, 06:01:36 AM »
Is anyone else flirting with the halfway mark over and over?  The past week and a half make me think I have a chance of cracking $1.5mil before the end of the year.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:49 AM »
I think we are around $1.6, but I cant access some of the accounts right now to do a full update (husband's retirement accounts), so I don't really know. Maybe there will be a nice surprise once we finally have that money date.