Author Topic: Race from $1M to $2M  (Read 533985 times)

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Race from $1M to $2M
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
Dude I don't know how the hell I ended up here.  Simplicity and persistence must work, because I've got no game at all.  Welcome aboard.

I feel the same way. I don't trade complicated financial derivatives or spend my spare time working out how to game the tax laws. I've just been plodding along, putting a few thousand into simple, boring index funds each month... then I look up and find my net worth is $400,000 greater than this time two years ago. The compounding really sneaks up on you!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2017, 01:27:26 AM »
I'M JOINING THE GAUNTLET :D

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:16 AM »
oh congrats, marty and Happier!!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »
Great to see more players here..:)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »
Ya'll come on in!!!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: September 09, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
Thanks guys. My rem letter came last week. In keeping with the theme of incredibly low wages growth in Australia I got a 1% increase. That was not unexpected, and followed a 9.5% increase last year.

At least I'm pretty sure I won't get restructured anytime soon.

My bonus came in on expectations which was nice, so yep it is onwards and upwards. I expect I'll able to throw a significant amount at VAS over the next month. My super will also get a little boost as well with the bonus payment attracting a super contribution too...

My parents mentioned to me last week that it might be time to draw up a will. I just need to find the time to go to a legal shop and do it...

bernieb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
Does anyone in this 1-2 M zone use a financial adviser for any part of their portfolio management?  I have 2/3 of my $ with a financial person and 1/3 through etf passive funds. I am now about ready to switch all to passive ETF investing.   Only thing holding me back are that the net returns are about even for both sides from what I see over the past year and ytd.

jdfergason

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
Does anyone in this 1-2 M zone use a financial adviser for any part of their portfolio management?  I have 2/3 of my $ with a financial person and 1/3 through etf passive funds. I am now about ready to switch all to passive ETF investing.   Only thing holding me back are that the net returns are about even for both sides from what I see over the past year and ytd.

Bernie,

Financial Advisors can be a good thing for those who are not interested in paying attention to their finances or for those that aren't willing / do not understand the basics of the stock market.  With that said they don't possess any special knowledge that allow you to beat the market more than others.

A one to two year period is unlikely to be enough data to say that the returns are the same.  In general research shows that the number one predictor of future returns is fees.  I personally am not the index fund evangelist that many are but it is a good strategy.  I would pick whatever makes you sleep better at night.  If you enjoy talking with your advisor, and they give you advise that is useful / teaches you something stick with them.  If you are worried that you could be doing better with a basket of low-cost etfs then go that route.

For what it's worth, I have a selection of index funds, active managed funds, and stocks I've picked myself.  My portfolios, over the past 13 years (knock on wood) have beaten the market by an average of 5%.

-Carsten

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
The returns might be the same now but typically in the long term the etfs will do better at much lower cost.

If you are using an adviser the standard advice is to use a "fee only" adviser.. I.e you pay them for their time rather than pay them and increased APR % on your portfolio.

I'm completely DIY.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »

Investing has two camps that can make sense.  In camp one are professional investors.  They spend all day looking for solid, but undervalued companies, or solid dividend paying companies.  These investors then place large stakes on these few bets, hoping to take advantage of market knowledge asymmetry.  These investors take a great deal of specific investment risk on top of the systemic risk of the market as a whole.

Camp two is to diversify away as much specific investment risk as possible by buying the market.  This is done typically through index funds or index ETFs.  These are usually very low fee investments.  This investor is betting on the overall marketplace to improve.  They won't see the large increases seen by the group above, but they don't face the prospect of as much loss either.  Depending on the desired stability of returns, this group can invest a portion of their funds at the risk free rate (typically treasury bonds in the US) to reduce the variance of returns, but also reducing the expected value.

If you want to do camp one, you need to really spend a lot of time looking at companies and comparing/contrasting them to the market.  Some people choose a limited option of camp one for the industry they know well, but camp two for everything else.  An investment advisor can help explain the mechanisms by which you can achieve the targeted goals above, or they could help you determine what mix makes sense for you.  As others have said, do this on a fee for time basis rather than a fee as commission basis.  Also, don't hand trading rights to your investor unless you really trust them both to know what makes sense for you and to always act in your interests.  The only person that meets that burden for me is my spouse, but she isn't a broker.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2017, 12:10:38 PM »
I'm another one without an advisor.

I am likely to get some tax structuring advice soon, although tbh I probably won't be very trusting of the advice I get.

I will listen but....

I am very sceptical of other people's claimed knowledge, and their ability to truly understand what I personally want/ need. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

On the finance front, my NW is split about 50/50 between index funds and residential property.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2017, 05:19:07 PM »

I have self managed for financial planning, but have paid some serious $ for structural and taxation help from a good quality accountant.  It hasn't been cheap, but it has been good value.

I had a free hit for some fee for service financial planning as part of an insurance payout (I could claim back $2,500 of fee for service financial planning costs).  It was good to get a fresh set of eyes, and they asked some useful questions.  There was one actionable change from that session (for the Australian readers, it had to do with there being the ability to gain early access to superannuation if suffering from total and permanent disability, which encouraged me to put some additional funds into super at a lower tax rate than a family trust).  The financial planning session was useful for a sanity check, but I wouldn't pay for it again.

I will note that I already had fairly complex tax planning in place to hold assets, including a company, trust and self managed super fund.  Had I not been doing these already, there may have been some additional value.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2017, 10:57:02 AM »
I don't use a financial advisor at all. It's pretty simple to structure your portfolio as just a few total market index funds. There's nothing magical or confusing or complicated required.
These passive index funds beat active management every time.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #264 on: September 12, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
I don't use a financial advisor at all. It's pretty simple to structure your portfolio as just a few total market index funds. There's nothing magical or confusing or complicated required.
These passive index funds beat active management every time.

No financial advisor here either.  Core money is in funds, etc....

However, I do have a brokerage account where I 'play around' with single stocks (biotechs and such).  I find it fun and have done quite well with it....but it is certainly NOT for everyone.     

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
I'm a little late to this party.  We crossed $1M in invested assets last May, and now it's $1.16.

Four months later, we're up $50k (~4%) to $1.21M.  Not bad for a third of the year, especially considering we wrote a $25k check mid-summer, plus about $2,500 in other unanticipated/one-time home expenses.  Our investment returns haven't been stellar since May, but we just keep plugging away at the tax-deferred accounts.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »
Just checked. NW = $1.6M, invested = $1.03M

No target, per se.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:18 PM »
Nice gain BirdInHand.

Welcome aboard Dude.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »
Just checked. NW = $1.6M, invested = $1.03M

No target, per se.

Great job.. I remember reading MMM for the first time in Sept 2013 and thought.. "Gee I should add up my NW"...It came to 1.050M...:)

It was hard to drive the 80 miles to work the next day!

ynotme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
Hi - I just found this thread and thought I'd join in.

I needed some motivation when I hit $1m in 2014 but couldn't yet retire. I set myself a goal of getting to $2m in 5 years and calculated I needed ~15% increase in NW a year. I thought it was ambitious but have been pretty close to it so far.

2014: $1,008k
2015: Goal $1,150k; Actual $1,191k
2016: Goal: $1,325k; Actual $1,353k
2017: Goal: $1,525k; YTD $1,477k
2018: Goal: $1,750k
2019: Goal >$2,000,000

Note:
- The above is in Australian dollars and I hope you all don't mind me tracking that way. Currency fluctuations would distort it too much otherwise.
- The above doesn't include a home and property prices are expensive in Australia. Not sure where I want to live once I stop working so holding off buying for now. I figure with $2m, I can decide how I want to allocate funds and also move to a lower cost location.

Another 2 years seems tantalisingly close but also a long way away when I have a tough day at work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:20:16 PM by ynotme »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: September 23, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
I have about 1.48 million in 85% equities, rest in bonds, some in cash. And I have another $250k-300K equity in my house
Honestly, it feels like a mirage. I get a sense that any day now a crash is about to occur.
Not sure why I feel that way, maybe it's how well the market has done, and how precarious the political situation is.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
Well a crash might happen tomorrow.. But if not tomorrow almost certainly in the next 3 years.. Really it doesn't make difference unless you're trying to time it.. You have got to be able to survive a crash either way

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »
I'm kinda trying to outlast the crash.  I'm over 90% invested in stocks.  So far it's paid off,  So very tempted to play market timer,but when do you pull?  DOW 19k, 20k, 21k, 22k, 23k?  So I'm just sitting here riding the wave up.  Not FIRE yet so I guess until you are drawing down,  it's no big deal if it crashes.  It's going to take a big one for many people on this thread to be sub 7 figures again.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Bateaux, You plan to retire in 2019?

If thats the case I would suggest a rebalance now to 70/30 or 80/20. You have plenty of money and can expect some sinificant growth over time with 70% stocks.. But still have bonds to live on for several years.

Just my perspective.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »
I'd agree.  I expect to retire 2019/2020 and have been 50/50 for about a year.  I've pretty much won the game, so to speak but am paying for this and next year private college for one son and other has learning issues, so high school for now costs almost what private college costs.  Lawyer is working to get our district to pay for that but that's not guaranteed so could be a year before we even know.  I have no interest in losing 50% of what I have.  House has long time been paid off and no debts.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »
We're a little over $1 million, but I don't know if we'll hit 2. DW retired 2 years ago, I cut back to about half time. We have an AirBnB that pays a bit more than half our expenses, too. But I like my job and don't plan to fully quit. Once kids are old enough to be in school I think my wife will probably get bored (she's a PhD biophysicist, after all) and go be a STEM educator in the school system or something like that.

So it will be interesting to see if we get there, and if so when. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around "needing" more than $40k a year, but then again I'm one of those perpetual grad student types that gets excited about free pizza at the library.

-W

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
Same here.. The 2 of us spend around $30k with a paid off house.. Its difficult to imagine spending more than $40k even with a couple of trips abroad each year. Half of our expenses are paid by our rentals.

For us its healthcare, food, utilities and insurance and thats about it. I do all the maintenance on our cars. So far our HC premium is $36/m and we can add worse case $2k/yr for OOP expenses.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: September 24, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
We hit $1M late in 2016. As of yesterday we were $9.93 away from $1.1M. I never include our checking account balance in our NW as that money comes and goes, but think I'll transfer $10 to savings so we'll officially be at $1.1M NW. Currently maxing 401K and IRA (spouse) + $24K per year to taxable investments. Planning to FIRE in 2020.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: September 24, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
Hi - I just found this thread and thought I'd join in.

I needed some motivation when I hit $1m in 2014 but couldn't yet retire. I set myself a goal of getting to $2m in 5 years and calculated I needed ~15% increase in NW a year. I thought it was ambitious but have been pretty close to it so far.

Note:
- The above is in Australian dollars and I hope you all don't mind me tracking that way. Currency fluctuations would distort it too much otherwise.
- The above doesn't include a home and property prices are expensive in Australia. Not sure where I want to live once I stop working so holding off buying for now. I figure with $2m, I can decide how I want to allocate funds and also move to a lower cost location.

Another 2 years seems tantalisingly close but also a long way away when I have a tough day at work.

Shares or Realestate? (A$ are fine, all of mine are listed in AUD :) )

Interested in what your portfolio looks like, as I'm several years behind you.

ynotme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2017, 01:26:36 AM »

Shares or Realestate? (A$ are fine, all of mine are listed in AUD :) )

Interested in what your portfolio looks like, as I'm several years behind you.

I have a property worth ~$600k and most of the rest in shares (in and out of super). Most of my gains are through savings though, high income and low costs.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »
Bateaux, You plan to retire in 2019?

If thats the case I would suggest a rebalance now to 70/30 or 80/20. You have plenty of money and can expect some sinificant growth over time with 70% stocks.. But still have bonds to live on for several years.

Just my perspective.

I hate the thought of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in a crash, but also hate the thought of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars from potential gains.  The 2019 retirement date is possible leaning towards 2020. Not much difference between those dates I'd suppose as far as long term plan of stock/bond ratios.  Bogle says stay the course, maybe I'll buy some bond funds and sell some stock funds.  Just don't feel that old yet.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »
We hit $1M late in 2016. As of yesterday we were $9.93 away from $1.1M...think I'll transfer $10 to savings so we'll officially be at $1.1M NW.
lol! I like that move!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: September 27, 2017, 05:54:50 AM »
Boo...Got paid today (NW up), revalued investments (NW down).

Treaded water these 2 weeks. I cannot say I'm enjoying starting to see my net worth be "volatile" (said with naievity noted).

Seeing the NW go down after a pay day is a relatively new thing for me, one I will have to get used to.

Total is at $1,026,500

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: September 27, 2017, 06:30:27 AM »

Treaded water these 2 weeks. I cannot say I'm enjoying starting to see my net worth be "volatile" (said with naievity noted).

Seeing the NW go down after a pay day is a relatively new thing for me, one I will have to get used to.

Total is at $1,026,500
Same
It starts to happen often at this level.  You get used to 10k, 20k, 30k fluxes in NW sometimes weekly.  There are worse problems to have than losing the equivalent of a new automobile price of NW in a day.   You could be financing an automobile for 6 years like many.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 27, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »

Total is at $1,026,500

I have a love-hate relationship with this.  The love is that my portfolio returns are becoming more important to my net worth than my earned income.  That's great, as it means that a wage is becoming redundant.  The hate is the lack of ability to measure progress, which I have gotten used to.  I don't get that little dopamine hit each time a paycheck goes through, because my net worth progress is less tied to my income.  My coping strategy for that has been to track investment income instead - if I put more money to work, I see that number tick up.  If I reinvest a dividend, I see it tick up.  If I retire some debt, I see the net income tick up.  Keeps me going with the right behaviors, (investing a surplus), as long as it doesn't bias my investment to short term income investments. 

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »

Total is at $1,026,500

I have a love-hate relationship with this.  The love is that my portfolio returns are becoming more important to my net worth than my earned income.  That's great, as it means that a wage is becoming redundant.  The hate is the lack of ability to measure progress, which I have gotten used to.  ...

I kind of stop measuring my NW.  Every now and then I check in, but what I measure now is my contribution to savings.  I mentioned somewhere else how one month I did a killer job of saving, but the market went down so my overall was a decline, and then shortly after I had a month with pretty much NO savings and my NW went up $65k.  I can't measure my progress against something that has so much variability, so I set targets to contribute and measure against that.  Then I just make sure my overall portfolio is appropriate and let it do what its going to do.  That way I don't get too excited about the ups/downs of the total investment pool, I focus on controllable actions.

Which reminds me, I hadn't checked my progress for a while...I'm at about $450k of real property (which I don't really count for this purpose) and $1.66M invested.  That's up quite a bit from 1/1 when we were at $1.4M.  Maybe I should check this number more frequently!  ;)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »
Which reminds me, I hadn't checked my progress for a while...I'm at about $450k of real property (which I don't really count for this purpose) and $1.66M invested.  That's up quite a bit from 1/1 when we were at $1.4M.  Maybe I should check this number more frequently!  ;)

Wow you've got a lot!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »

Total is at $1,026,500

I have a love-hate relationship with this.  The love is that my portfolio returns are becoming more important to my net worth than my earned income.  That's great, as it means that a wage is becoming redundant.  The hate is the lack of ability to measure progress, which I have gotten used to.  ...

I kind of stop measuring my NW.  Every now and then I check in, but what I measure now is my contribution to savings.  I mentioned somewhere else how one month I did a killer job of saving, but the market went down so my overall was a decline, and then shortly after I had a month with pretty much NO savings and my NW went up $65k.  I can't measure my progress against something that has so much variability, so I set targets to contribute and measure against that.  Then I just make sure my overall portfolio is appropriate and let it do what its going to do.  That way I don't get too excited about the ups/downs of the total investment pool, I focus on controllable actions.

I check our net worth frequently because everything is linked to Personal Capital and can easily be accessed on the PC..or anytime via thumbprint on the smartphone! 

Once you reach a certain threshold it seems like your contributions help, but are diminished to a great extent by portfolio gains (or losses).  We have pretty much reached that point but are continuing to max out our 401K's for the tax benefits. 

I will admit that we moved significant funds over to the Vanguard Wellesley admiral (VWIAX) fund and therefore have become a bit more 'conservative'.  I guess we are becoming a somewhat conservative 'boglehead' as far as core holdings go.  To make up for that I have been actively trading stocks in a taxable account and find it quite fun..and have done quite with it so far. 

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »
I'm happy to report that I've reached the $1.3 million mark in net worth.  The market surge and a recent dividends distribution got me to the mark today.  Of the $1.3mil, $1.2 of that is invested in the market.  September ends on a good note!!  Tonight I will celebrate by drinking a can of Pepsi.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »

Total is at $1,026,500

I check our net worth frequently because everything is linked to Personal Capital and can easily be accessed on the PC..or anytime via thumbprint on the smartphone! 

Once you reach a certain threshold it seems like your contributions help, but are diminished to a great extent by portfolio gains (or losses).  We have pretty much reached that point but are continuing to max out our 401K's for the tax benefits. 

I will admit that we moved significant funds over to the Vanguard Wellesley admiral (VWIAX) fund and therefore have become a bit more 'conservative'.  I guess we are becoming a somewhat conservative 'boglehead' as far as core holdings go.  To make up for that I have been actively trading stocks in a taxable account and find it quite fun..and have done quite with it so far. 

I've graduated from updating daily to now updating weekly :)

The actual bottom line number is pretty meaningless, (as BCB noted above, the annual income total is a more pointed indicator), but I'm a maths nerd and an accountant, so I do <3 a sexy balance sheet.

Revalued the properties on my quarterly schedule (Sep 30). NW now $1,048,400, revised goal of $1,075,000 by the end of the year, which will be a $177k gain for 2017 if it happens.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »
I provide a monthly financial report to DW on Net Worth Growth by source and monthly income by source and our savings rate. I endeavor to engage in some discussion about our financial performance to no avail. The conversation quickly to reverts to topics like "when will you fix that broken light bulb/ door handle/ etc". Oh well.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: October 02, 2017, 03:09:31 AM »
I provide a monthly financial report to DW on Net Worth Growth by source and monthly income by source and our savings rate. I endeavor to engage in some discussion about our financial performance to no avail. The conversation quickly to reverts to topics like "when will you fix that broken light bulb/ door handle/ etc". Oh well.

So? When are you going to fix that broken light bulb?

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: October 02, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »

So? When are you going to fix that broken light bulb?

Has to fix the door handle first, to get into the room to fix the light bulb..

ha

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: October 02, 2017, 09:22:11 AM »
There is always something I haven't done or have done wrong. Aah the joys of marriage.

Jenny1974

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
Holy crap!  Just ran our numbers for September.  NW has increased almost $245,000 for the year.  $2MM . . . here I come!!!!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:22 AM »
Holy crap!  Just ran our numbers for September.  NW has increased almost $245,000 for the year.  $2MM . . . here I come!!!!

Congratulations!   The run up has been amazing.   We're 200k or so short of the 2M investments goal now.  Hard to believe we're 90% of the way.  Carjack has the light on for us in the 2M to 3M thread.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2017, 06:48:40 AM »
Picture you're racing a bicycle and I'm on the back of a pickup, laying down in the bed with my arm outstretched.  Come on.....you can do it!!!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Awesome.. we too have a mini goal.. Last night we were $125k short of $2m in investments. Another 6.6%.. woohoo..:)

We have small pensions, plus the paid off house in addition to the above.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: October 03, 2017, 07:39:40 PM »
Picture you're racing a bicycle and I'm on the back of a pickup, laying down in the bed with my arm outstretched.  Come on.....you can do it!!!

Haha!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: October 03, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
There is always something I haven't done or have done wrong. Aah the joys of marriage.
Hah! When I was single, I used to say, "No one to ask, no one to blame."