Author Topic: Race from $1M to $2M  (Read 532170 times)

CoffeeAndDonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Race from $1M to $2M
« Reply #650 on: August 30, 2018, 08:59:22 PM »
Hey @catccc! Congrats! We too are struggling to bring spend below $60k though that includes $24k of piti mortgage. I just don't see us getting below $35k spend excl piti but including healthcare.

Nonetheless, $1.5 is a target that works for us as an initial launch. Since we've not paid off outlr home, I'm hoping for more like $1.75 of so. $2 would be great.

I am just waiting for final Month end numbers but am projecting around $1.35m nw with $1.2 invested/liquid.

In a month, I expect to shift an illiquid asset to one of that finally feel like justifies valuing which will add another $250k nw.

Blamo, $1.5m invested, $1.7m nw and my head exploding.

A lot has been asset conversion from things I didn't valu to those I did but still, my head is spinning these days how fast it all came on!

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: September 01, 2018, 12:58:12 PM »
More progress! This month, I've finally become a millionaire in liquid assets--my condo is worth about $290K.

11/23/2012: $45,000.00
08/03/2013: $100,000.00
01/01/2016: $408,896.04
01/01/2017: $617,283.09
06/06/2017: $758,104.40
10/15/2017: $856,488.71
11/18/2017: $929,536.54
11/27/2017: $944,395.35
12/17/2017: $956,928.07
01/01/2018: $968,307.87
01/05/2018: $987,442.11
01/08/2018: $996,215.32
01/09/2018: $998,819.79
01/10/2018: $999,079.24
01/11/2018: $1,003,101.34
02/01/2018: $1,061,732.89
02/28/2018: $1,062,750.48
05/18/2018: $1,149,432.76
06/06/2018: $1,203,026.63
07/11/2018: $1,232,435.26
08/02/2018: $1,269,509.32
09/01/2018: $1,326,015.73

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: September 04, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
Welcome aboard, catccc!
Thanks, so excited to be here!

Hey @catccc! Congrats! We too are struggling to bring spend below $60k though that includes $24k of piti mortgage. I just don't see us getting below $35k spend excl piti but including healthcare.

Nonetheless, $1.5 is a target that works for us as an initial launch. Since we've not paid off outlr home, I'm hoping for more like $1.75 of so. $2 would be great.

I am just waiting for final Month end numbers but am projecting around $1.35m nw with $1.2 invested/liquid.

In a month, I expect to shift an illiquid asset to one of that finally feel like justifies valuing which will add another $250k nw.

Blamo, $1.5m invested, $1.7m nw and my head exploding.

A lot has been asset conversion from things I didn't valu to those I did but still, my head is spinning these days how fast it all came on!

Well, it looks like I'm not the only one for whom frugal doesn't mean spending only $25K/year.  For our near $60K, I can even tell you where it all goes, but I can't really see cutting these expenses very dramatically.  Our rent is $16,800/yr, so our spending outside of housing must be even higher than yours, unfortunately.  One thing to note is that we spent over $7K on travel last year, something we could drop if needed.  But we like to travel, it's something we value.  (And yes, we do some travel hacking.  It has saved us a lot, without it that travel number might be $5K more.  In 2017, points covered 2 r/t flights to hawaii, 4 r/t transcontinental flights during the holidays, a few hotel nights, and a week of car rental.)

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: September 04, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
I thought I'd join. I don't really plan to finish the race except by inflation adjusted means, but I did just hit $1M in retirement assets. I hit $1M in net worth a couple years ago, but that seems like cheating; I need somewhere to live and that's not going to be generating retirement revenue.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »
Hello!  This morning, we hit 1,001,996 net worth.  While I recognize we may never make it to 2M, we’re determined to continue the good habits that have gotten us this far: simplicity, frugality and thankfulness.

It’s been a great ride so far and they say the first million is the hardest so I’m really looking forward to making this journey with the members of this great community!

Update...

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: September 14, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »
Could someone share why it is easier/faster to make the second million and how long it takes?

I know this has been discussed on the forum before, yet my searches are not turning up the answer.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #656 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »
Could someone share why it is easier/faster to make the second million and how long it takes?

I know this has been discussed on the forum before, yet my searches are not turning up the answer.

The market has returned about 16% in the last 12 months.  If you started with 100K a year ago, that means you would have 116K today. That's a 16K increase.  It compounds from there year after year. 

But if you already had 1M a year ago, it has increased by 160K.  That's 10x in pure dollar amounts over the same time. 

No one knows how long it will take because we can't predict the real returns from the market, but since you have more to start with it increases faster - not as a percentage but as a number.   

A hypothetical 100K would double at the same time as your 1M, but that wasn't the question.  Double 100K is 200K and double 1M is 2M.  Same time for that doubling, but in one case it is a lot more money. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #657 on: September 14, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
^ That's an excellent explanation. ^

My old boss used to say percentages don't buy groceries, dollars do.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #658 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »

I like to use a sail analogy to explain. You and I are both sitting in boats in the same waters, and we both hoist up our sails, but I've got a whole lot more sail than you do. Maybe there's no wind, and neither of us go anywhere anytime soon. But once the wind starts blowing, I'm going to pick up a lot more speed than you are. I was just looking at my spreadsheets, and realized I've had several months this year with gains of around $30k, whereas at the very start a while back, $30k were my total gains for a so-so year (net worth is about 5x now what it was then). The reverse is true, the more you have, the more you lose (in absolute terms only), but we know the markets return a net positive over a long enough time period, and even if you start with $100k today and I have $1000k, and we both see a 10% drop to $90k and $900k respectively, I've still got a shitload of more sail once the winds start blowing favorably in the future.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #659 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »

Compound interest. If the market is up 7% and you have 1M, your net worth goes up 70k. If you only have 200k in savings, a 7% return gives you only 14k.

Also, keep in mind the market has had a fantastic run the last 10 years. If your previous experience of saving 1M happened between 1998 and 2008, the last decade seemed much easier to hit that second million. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: September 18, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »

The market has returned about 16% in the last 12 months.  If you started with 100K a year ago, that means you would have 116K today. That's a 16K increase.  It compounds from there year after year. 

But if you already had 1M a year ago, it has increased by 160K.  That's 10x in pure dollar amounts over the same time. 

No one knows how long it will take because we can't predict the real returns from the market, but since you have more to start with it increases faster - not as a percentage but as a number.   

A hypothetical 100K would double at the same time as your 1M, but that wasn't the question.  Double 100K is 200K and double 1M is 2M.  Same time for that doubling, but in one case it is a lot more money.

Thank you so much!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: September 18, 2018, 07:18:38 PM »
PathtoFire and Index--Thank you! I appreciate how you explained it. =-)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: September 18, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask this here first.

My head is playing some games with me. The Spouse has some doubts about the $$ being enough, and those doubts begin to creep into my own head.

I start to worry we don't have enough.

As I thought about solutions to this, here's what I came up with:

--Talk with Spouse to share our fears and concerns.
--Review the numbers to see (again) the facts of our situation.

Although I'm sure it's natural to feel scared, the worry doesn't feel good.

Any suggestions?

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #663 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
Obviously i dont know your numbers so i cant weigh in on whether your numbers are reasonable.

Presuming that you have numbers for your projcted spending and that you and the spouse agree on those numbers and have a high confidence in them, then all you can do from a math and logic standpoint is refer back to the studies regarding the 4% rule. You can add safety margins, run the numbers with expected increases in healthcare, run what if scenarios for a market downturn, etc ect. 

But thats only the mathematical (historical) and logical side of things.  Ultimately, retiring early is also (perhaps mostly) an emotional step.  If your spouse isnt comfortable with it, then you have to see what kind of compromise you can reach that makes both of you happy. 

Retiring early to spend time with your spouse only works if both of you are cmfortable with the decision.   Perhaps discuss an intermediate step toward retirement?  Cutting back significantly on hours/ days working?  Taking some extended time off to travel? 

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #664 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:31 AM »
The nice market run this month (and capped off with yesterday's surge) pushed TNW over $1.7MM.  LNW is knocking on the door of $1.4MM.

We've crossed $1.4MM LNW in both directions a number of times in August and September.  Every time there's a daily blip of -1% or so, we fall back below $1.4MM.  We started the year over $1.3MM, so it's been pretty slow going this year (especially compared to last year).  We'll see how things shake out by the end of December.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #665 on: September 19, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »
I'll admit, it's a little surreal listening to "dave ramsey" millionaire hours, and realizing that people are calling in who are fifteen years older and have the same net worth I do. Glad you guys are here to push me!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #666 on: September 19, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »

My head is playing some games with me. The Spouse has some doubts about the $$ being enough, and those doubts begin to creep into my own head.

Any suggestions?
One of my favorite pre-FIRE assurances was "Retiring too early is a mistake you can recover from. Too late and there is no recovery." Best suggestion is to make a case study and crowdsource your plans. You are guaranteed to get excellent feedback from like-minded folk.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #667 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »

Any suggestions?
One of my favorite pre-FIRE assurances was "Retiring too early is a mistake you can recover from. Too late and there is no recovery." Best suggestion is to make a case study and crowdsource your plans. You are guaranteed to get excellent feedback from like-minded folk.

Yes do a case study with all the proper information - and then get feedback.
You can also do one at the bogleheads forum. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: September 20, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »

Is there a side-by-side (dual-posted)MMM/bogleheads case study?  I would be interesting to compare/contrast the responses.
My guess.
Bogleheads: Only $2M!, you'll be reduced to cat food in no time.   
MMM: Verily, you must hang out with Warren Buffett and all the 0.001percenters.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: September 20, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »

Is there a side-by-side (dual-posted)MMM/bogleheads case study?  I would be interesting to compare/contrast the responses.
My guess.

Mustacianism got us to 2M.  Now that we've recently crossed that mark we're becoming more Bogleheadish.  I read the forum there years before MMM got started.  One can certainly feel inadequate with single millions.  Maybe 5 million gets you in the club these days.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #670 on: September 21, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »

My guess.

Mustacianism got us to 2M.  Now that we've recently crossed that mark we're becoming more Bogleheadish.  I read the forum there years before MMM got started.  One can certainly feel inadequate with single millions.  Maybe 5 million gets you in the club these days.

I'd be happy to try and survive on a paltry 2M.  Anyone wish to finance my experiment?  I promise to write a report every month to let you know how I'm doing!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #671 on: September 25, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »
I'll admit, it's a little surreal listening to "dave ramsey" millionaire hours, and realizing that people are calling in who are fifteen years older and have the same net worth I do. Glad you guys are here to push me!

Same, this community has opened my eyes up to greater possibilities.  I was posting in the early-retirement.org forums between 2012 and 2014, and that stint overlapped with the beginning of my posts here in 2013.  In 2012, I was really hoping for retirement at 48, I was 33 at the time.  I'm 39 now and hoping to pull the plug sometime when I'm 40.  TBH, 40 is an aggressive goal.  But back in 2012, 40 was an unthinkable pipe dream.  Really glad I found everyone here and stepped it up!  Not that the early-retirement.org forums weren't great, just that overall here folks are little more aggressive.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #672 on: September 28, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »

I like to use a sail analogy to explain. You and I are both sitting in boats in the same waters, and we both hoist up our sails, but I've got a whole lot more sail than you do. Maybe there's no wind, and neither of us go anywhere anytime soon. But once the wind starts blowing, I'm going to pick up a lot more speed than you are. I was just looking at my spreadsheets, and realized I've had several months this year with gains of around $30k, whereas at the very start a while back, $30k were my total gains for a so-so year (net worth is about 5x now what it was then). The reverse is true, the more you have, the more you lose (in absolute terms only), but we know the markets return a net positive over a long enough time period, and even if you start with $100k today and I have $1000k, and we both see a 10% drop to $90k and $900k respectively, I've still got a shitload of more sail once the winds start blowing favorably in the future.

$30K in a month? That's impressive. Well done!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #673 on: September 28, 2018, 07:57:22 AM »

My guess.

Ha. That is funny. So the Bogleheads would consider me too poor, and fellow MMMers would consider me too rich. Got it. LOL.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »

My guess.

Ha. That is funny. So the Bogleheads would consider me too poor, and fellow MMMers would consider me too rich. Got it. LOL.

My suggestion/inquiry  for a side-by-side (dual-posted)MMM/bogleheads case study was serious to determine if the silly stereotypes I presented are based on any facts. 

I'm FIRED, so my case wouldn't be useful. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #675 on: September 28, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »
I hear you and thought you were serious.

I thought your descriptions were meant to be funny.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #676 on: October 01, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
Q2 2016:
LNW: 528k
TNW: 720k

Q3 2016:
LNW: 652k
TNW: 845k

YE 2016:
LNW: 685k
TNW: 893k

Q1 2017:
LNW: 800k
TNW: 1001k

Q2 2017:
LNW: 845k
TNW: 1060k

Q3 2017:
LNW: 921k
TNW: 1142k

YE 2017:
LNW: 1,012k
TNW: 1,230k

Q1 2018:
LNW: 1.09 MM
TNW: 1.33 MM

Q2 2018:
LNW: 1.16 MM
TNW: 1.45 MM

Q3 2018:
LNW: 1.28 MM
TNW: 1.57 MM

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: October 03, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
It seems that there are posts every day both here and on Bogleheads (and r/pf) that are exactly the same.

Just do the math.  Determine how much safety net you need.  Make yourself a tool to see year by year what expected expenses you're going to have.  College for kids.  Health insurance.  Social Security.  All these are going to take more money than you think and return to you much less money than you think.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #678 on: October 16, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »
The nice market run this month (and capped off with yesterday's surge) pushed TNW over $1.7MM.  LNW is knocking on the door of $1.4MM.

We've crossed $1.4MM LNW in both directions a number of times in August and September.  Every time there's a daily blip of -1% or so, we fall back below $1.4MM.  We started the year over $1.3MM, so it's been pretty slow going this year (especially compared to last year).  We'll see how things shake out by the end of December.

Typically I'll just not check my balances much during bear markets, or right after corrections or other short-term dips.  But I got curious after last week's dip and checked this morning.  Ouch, down about $64K over the last couple weeks to ~$1.35MM.  On the bright side, we were able to shove a little more than $7K into pre-tax accounts at the end of last week.  Now we can start clawing back to $1.4MM and beyond.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2018, 04:54:40 PM »
The race is on . . . Backwards haha. Top is in.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: October 24, 2018, 11:51:28 AM »
I, too, suddenly feel like I'm running in reverse. Perhaps I need to just log in less frequently :-)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: October 24, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
Corporate profits have been up about 20% this 3rd quarter earnings season, year over year

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #682 on: October 25, 2018, 10:01:17 AM »

Typically I'll just not check my balances much during bear markets, or right after corrections or other short-term dips.  But I got curious after last week's dip and checked this morning.  Ouch, down about $64K over the last couple weeks to ~$1.35MM.  On the bright side, we were able to shove a little more than $7K into pre-tax accounts at the end of last week.  Now we can start clawing back to $1.4MM and beyond.

The funny thing is I don't check my core retirement accounts nearly as frequently during corrections.  However, I do check my trading account every day....even though I'm not a day trader.  Stock trading can get addicting....but it can be a fun hobby. 

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #683 on: October 25, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
Down 100k woohoo! Still buying

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #684 on: October 26, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »
Down 100k woohoo! Still buying

Well I should hope you're buying!  I kinda wish I had some cash lying around that I could use to buy on these sharply falling days.  Yeah yeah...market timing.  :P

As for checking my balances?  Nuh-uh.  Not gonna do it right now.  Depending on how the rest of the year goes, I might just check on Dec 31 to get a recap on the year as a whole.  It's (probably) going to be depressing, especially compared with last year's crazy gains.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: October 26, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
Yep. Still buying.  Down to 1.925 invested.  I ain't planning on hanging with you sukkas long though.  ;)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #686 on: October 26, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »
Yep. Still buying.  Down to 1.925 invested.  I ain't planning on hanging with you sukkas long though.  ;)

Another 50+% crash and you're in the racing from $500 -> $1M thread?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: October 27, 2018, 10:33:50 AM »

I sure as hell hope not.  I'll be pissed if I'm ever a less than one millionaire,  I'm pissed enough not being a two millionaire.   For that scenario probably want to invest in beans and bullets.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #688 on: October 27, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »

Don't laugh; whatever happens to us happens to you, too.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: October 29, 2018, 06:48:39 AM »
None of us got here without seeing a few pullbacks.  It will pass. 

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #690 on: October 29, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
Bring on the market correction!  I'm poised to buy!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #691 on: October 29, 2018, 07:48:51 PM »
Bring on the market correction!  I'm poised to buy!

What if the correction turns into a full-fledged crash that lasts, say, (glances at sig) 10 months and 4 days more?

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #692 on: October 29, 2018, 08:30:29 PM »
What if the correction turns into a full-fledged crash that lasts, say, (glances at sig) 10 months and 4 days more?
Even better!  I'll ride my job for 10 months and 4 days and continue to buy.  Then I'll tap my cash cushion as needed during the market recovery.  My emergency cash is enough to cover all living expense for two years.

BoonDogle

• Stubble
« Reply #693 on: October 31, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »
Even better!  I'll ride my job for 10 months and 4 days and continue to buy.  Then I'll tap my cash cushion as needed during the market recovery.  My emergency cash is enough to cover all living expense for two years.

Agreed.  Tired of buying these stocks at overpriced values.  I have a few years and quite a bit of buying to do over that time so I'm hoping to do at least some of it at some lower prices.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #694 on: November 01, 2018, 10:55:42 AM »
Put it in the books, 97.7k loss for October. That's a record for me by about 2x in nominal $s since 2014 when I started keeping detailed records (previous was 46k in February of this year). As a percent, it was about 0.7% more of a loss than August 2015, my previous record for monthly % loss, and we all remember those awful awful days....what, you don't? Here's to forgetting this month in a few months/years time!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #695 on: November 07, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »
My NW went over $1.5 million today...again.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #696 on: November 08, 2018, 08:03:30 AM »
My NW went over $1.5 million today...again.

Nice!

October was obviously a big downer, but the last week+ has erased almost half those losses (in my case at least).

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #697 on: November 08, 2018, 07:47:42 PM »
It was feeling almost too easy before and I was very close to my goal. More fun this way! Of course I’m still in accumulation mode.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #698 on: November 09, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
It was feeling almost too easy before and I was very close to my goal. More fun this way! Of course I’m still in accumulation mode.
Where do you stand now, brooklynmoney?  We still have the friendly race between ourselves!  :-)

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #699 on: November 10, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »
Cornbread this race is not friendly it’s dead  serious haha. I got bumped back about $70k so I’m at 1.4 and change. In reality I will never catch you because you have your well deserved pension and I am a corporate drone with no pension.