Author Topic: Race from $1M to $2M  (Read 34212 times)

marty998

• Magnum Stache
Re: Race from $1M to $2M
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2017, 03:09:31 AM »
I provide a monthly financial report to DW on Net Worth Growth by source and monthly income by source and our savings rate. I endeavor to engage in some discussion about our financial performance to no avail. The conversation quickly to reverts to topics like "when will you fix that broken light bulb/ door handle/ etc". Oh well.

So? When are you going to fix that broken light bulb?

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
I provide a monthly financial report to DW on Net Worth Growth by source and monthly income by source and our savings rate. I endeavor to engage in some discussion about our financial performance to no avail. The conversation quickly to reverts to topics like "when will you fix that broken light bulb/ door handle/ etc". Oh well.

So? When are you going to fix that broken light bulb?

Has to fix the door handle first, to get into the room to fix the light bulb..

ha
Fermentation is a miracle of nature.
Distillation is a miracle of science.
Better living through Science !

Semi-ERd: September 2015 at 42.

Itchyfeet

• Bristles
« Reply #302 on: October 02, 2017, 09:22:11 AM »
There is always something I haven't done or have done wrong. Aah the joys of marriage.

Jenny1974

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
Holy crap!  Just ran our numbers for September.  NW has increased almost $245,000 for the year.  $2MM . . . here I come!!!!

Bateaux

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:22 AM »
Holy crap!  Just ran our numbers for September.  NW has increased almost $245,000 for the year.  $2MM . . . here I come!!!!

Congratulations!   The run up has been amazing.   We're 200k or so short of the 2M investments goal now.  Hard to believe we're 90% of the way.  Carjack has the light on for us in the 2M to 3M thread.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
 ― Antoine de Saint Exupery-

Class of 2019

Car Jack

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2017, 06:48:40 AM »
Picture you're racing a bicycle and I'm on the back of a pickup, laying down in the bed with my arm outstretched.  Come on.....you can do it!!!

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Awesome.. we too have a mini goal.. Last night we were $125k short of $2m in investments. Another 6.6%.. woohoo..:)

We have small pensions, plus the paid off house in addition to the above.

Bateaux

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2017, 07:39:40 PM »
Picture you're racing a bicycle and I'm on the back of a pickup, laying down in the bed with my arm outstretched.  Come on.....you can do it!!!

Haha!
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”

Class of 2019

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
There is always something I haven't done or have done wrong. Aah the joys of marriage.
Hah! When I was single, I used to say, "No one to ask, no one to blame."
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »
Picture you're racing a bicycle and I'm on the back of an old, paid for, and required for specific work pickup, laying down in the bed with my arm outstretched.  Come on.....you can do it!!!
FTFY.

Seriously, is there a $2M to $3M thread? Is Car Jack the (ring)leader?

ETA: Complete Senior Moment. I could delete these comments, but I think I'll let my "stoopids" stand. Apparently I've been part of the other group for quite some time. It's kinda funny how fast it grows. As in, one can forget what ridiculously privileged category one "belongs" in. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it: This shit works, man!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:01:44 PM by Dicey »
A Lot Like This

Goldy

• Stubble
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »
Just passed the 1.4 mark (1.28 invested) and logged a 12 month gain of $308k.  If we can keep that annual gain going we might be done sooner than I thought.

Half way mark!  Ticked over 1.5 in September, it's really starting to pick up steam now.

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: October 04, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
Picture you're racing a bicycle and I'm on the back of an old, paid for, and required for specific work pickup, laying down in the bed with my arm outstretched.  Come on.....you can do it!!!
FTFY.

ETA: Complete Senior Moment. I could delete these comments, but I think I'll let my "stoopids" stand. Apparently I've been part of the other group for quite some time. It's kinda funny how fast it grows. As in, one can forget what ridiculously privileged category one "belongs" in. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it: This shit works, man!

One great thing about getting older.. You really don't care what other people think.. Probably being wealthy (I don't know what "rich" actually means) helps too..:)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #312 on: October 04, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
Haha, thanks, EFB. I guess it depends what you count. We might be in one if I count invested assets and cash only, or another one if I count DH's defined benefit pension plan, including future retirement healthcare, paid-for HCOLA house, equity in rental properties, blah x3. If I look too hard, I might discover we "should" be in yet another group. I know you know what I mean, EFB. <wink>
A Lot Like This

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:47 PM »
FTFY.

Equivalent senior moment trying to be helpful:
Yes there is such a thread https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/race-from-$2m-to-$3m/ and yes, Car Jack is the ringleader (OP, thread starter).

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #314 on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
Yeah, I'm on that thread, too. Erm. Fortunately,  our stache is big enough that I'm no imposter there. I consider myself in good company, either place.
A Lot Like This

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2017, 11:56:23 PM »
Hehe.. of course I also have 3 three years to catch up..:)

Is any of this relevant?... nope!

farmecologist

• Stubble
« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2017, 07:53:16 AM »
FTFY.

Equivalent senior moment trying to be helpful:
Yes there is such a thread https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/race-from-$2m-to-$3m/ and yes, Car Jack is the ringleader (OP, thread starter).

I'm also on the other thread.  However, in my opinion we have only 'partially graduated' there because we are currently counting our paid off house in the calculations.  However, we are getting close to 'full graduation' (investable assets only) possibly sometime late next year.

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2017, 08:51:53 AM »
I'm also on the other thread.  However, in my opinion we have only 'partially graduated' there because we are currently counting our paid off house in the calculations.  However, we are getting close to 'full graduation' (investable assets only) possibly sometime late next year.

I like this approach.  I also plan on partially graduating to the other thread by counting NW, and then fully graduating later when investable assets reach $2M.  There might be a year or two difference in the graduation dates -- any longer and it means the markets are pretty flat or falling.
"Overcoming the inertia of status quo since tomorrow"

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #318 on: October 05, 2017, 02:32:41 PM »
Hit ~$1.0M  in 05/2016 when we sold our house
At  $1.17M in 10/2016 we quit our jobs
At $1.18 at end of 2016

Might be a slow race to two million with no jobs, but hope to join you, doing it while sitting around drinking and hoping the markets do their magic. Slow and steady...

And at $1.2M at 1/31/2017

Presumably this particular rally will end sooner or later, it won't be as long as I thought if it keeps up like this (not that I expect it to)

$1.235M for 3/31/2017 at the end of the quarter.
Not bad for not working. I keep saying it can't last much longer!

$1.267M for 6/30/2017 at the end of the second quarter.
Still not working, and we bought a car and had a baby during that time, so apparently the rally kept going..

$1.31M for 10/1/2017 at the end of the third quarter
So this crazy run up hasn't slowed down. Still not working, not much else to report.
Retired, or just homeless and jobless.
Blog
Journal

bigchrisb

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #319 on: October 05, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »

I like this approach.  I also plan on partially graduating to the other thread by counting NW, and then fully graduating later when investable assets reach $2M.  There might be a year or two difference in the graduation dates -- any longer and it means the markets are pretty flat or falling.

I'm in the same boat with you - $2.94m net worth, $500k debt, $1.05m house value.  I'd rather house prices not be so silly in my country (Australia)! At the end of the day, this isn't a competition, so its not about an "absolute" metric, but one that helps drive you towards your own goals.  I think the most important thing is to keep your own metric (inc/ex house equity) consistent, to keep yourself accountable.

brooklynmoney

• Bristles
« Reply #320 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
The portfolio is growing so fast it feels like a runaway train about to careen off the track. Looking at Personal Capital scares me now. I keep thinking how long can this last? Also f-ck I don't want to work anymore haha. My motivation is inversely correlated with market performance.

Timmm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:35 AM »
Hey everyone, I've just read through this thread in the last couple of days. I find a lot of the comments very familiar to my own thoughts, including a little uncertainty in the smartest way to count home equity. I've been regularly tracking our assets and debts for five years, and have the details separated, and occasionally add a new row to my spreadsheet that adds another perspective - total net, net cash only, hypothetical budget for residence if all sold after setting aside enough for 4% swr...

The one I've watched most closely assumes selling rental houses at zillow estimates less 6% commission and paying off our current residence. It's had the smoothest, steadiest curve. Here's a history sample for it:

12/15: 590k
12/16: 1.05M
6/17:   1.25M
10/17: 1.4M

The assets are split roughly evenly in three groups: 401k/IRA, taxable investments, 2 sfh rentals. We probably have a bit more than that in equity in our residence - and it would be pretty decadent to pay it off and stay in it in retirement as the above projects. It's big and expensive, and we will likely sell all the houses and relocate just before retiring. We are considering a variety of retirement locations that are also pretty decadent, but with a smaller size might still cost $500k less than our current.

We still have two young adult children who are still dependent (one just starting college), and we are pretty scared of the potential medical insurance costs, so I expect retirement is a couple of years away. But our savings growth has also been exceeding gross income for a while, so I find it harder and harder to hustle at work.

talltexan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
I just checked mint last time and had the first moment of my life in which I was arguably a millionaire. I'd been lurking here some already because they say you should surround yourself with people you aspire to be like ;-)

Anyway, this wealth came to me despite some bad habits and was mainly because of my super-awesome wife who kicks ass at work. I've decided to try to focus on clearing some debts with any investment gains I have above today. Most of you guys will probably beat me to $2 million, but thanks for including me!

brooklynmoney

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
Congrats tall Texan welcome to the club!!

Bateaux

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »
Welcome aboard Talltexan.  Best of luck.

Class of 2019

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:41 PM »
I haven’t posted this thread for a while as I was busy being pregnant and hospitalized and giving birth and buying a house and remodeling a house. Phew! I popped my head up the other day and realized that our invested assets are somewhere around $1.57 even though we took out $200k out of investments to buy a house. It was sad seeing that duo, but we are pleased with what we were able to get. Now there is the scary mortgage debt, but so it goes. On the plus side, I am getting skylights and insulated interior walls. Winning!

Amazing to see the number that high. I hope we can continue to sock it away at a good clip. I feel like we will have to see a good dip in the market before we reach $2M since the market is cyclical. I need to go through a good downturn and have a white-knuckle ride when I have substantial assets, right? Isn’t that how you earn your stripes in the index investing world? :)
"It'll be great!"

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: October 10, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
Yes thats exactly how it goes.. But if you're in the accumulation phase you actually WANT a big market downturn!

If you're FIRED like me.. well, hopefully you have been through enough downturns to be able to survive the next one..:)

mjr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
My net worth ex-PPOR has been wallowing in the low $1.9m for months with the sharemarket wallowing.  But my salary keeps flowing in and now with the market's recent uptick and October's dividends I suddenly find myself at $1.99m.

A good day in the market or next month's salary will see me there! 

$2m has been "the target" since I crossed $1m in early 2013.  Looks like 2018 will be the retirement year.

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
My net worth ex-PPOR has been wallowing in the low $1.9m for months with the sharemarket wallowing.  But my salary keeps flowing in and now with the market's recent uptick and October's dividends I suddenly find myself at $1.99m.

A good day in the market or next month's salary will see me there! 

$2m has been "the target" since I crossed $1m in early 2013.  Looks like 2018 will be the retirement year.

Woohoo..:)

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »
You guys are all killing it ☺️

Mine has gone up about 5 grand on account of our market having a 9 day winning streak.

I too can't help but feel we are due for a fall. Starting to see a few ridiculous run ups in small caps and sectors of the market.