Author Topic: Race from $1M to $2M  (Read 532266 times)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Race from $1M to $2M
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »
Hit ~$1.0M  in 05/2016 when we sold our house
At  $1.17M in 10/2016 we quit our jobs
At $1.18 at end of 2016

Might be a slow race to two million with no jobs, but hope to join you, doing it while sitting around drinking and hoping the markets do their magic. Slow and steady...

And at $1.2M at 1/31/2017

Presumably this particular rally will end sooner or later, it won't be as long as I thought if it keeps up like this (not that I expect it to)

Nice!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
Well, it looks like I can now claim $2M, using my criterion that it only includes investable assets.  Updated my spreadsheet and I'm at $2,006,000, so just over the mark.  I have RSUs, pay and ESOP coming up in the next month, so since I'll invest a good portion of that, it should make this number stick.  My spread sheet shows net worth and it's right at $2.6M.

No, I'm not retired.  Son #1 in college that I'm funding.  Son #2 will enter college as he finishes.  Mostly, however is that my wife is totally freaked about me retiring.  She grew up in a blue collar household where her dad was constantly being laid off as his trade went obsolete (worked in a print shop after going to trade high school, and it shut down, then a small steel mill which closed and finally after a couple years out of work for the city).  I sat down with her one night to figure out what number she would be comfortable with me calling it quits.  $2M?  No.  $10M?  No.  $100M?  No.  $100B???  No.  So I've concluded that she'll never be comfortable, so I've targeted 2 years from now.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2017, 07:46:10 PM »
Not so long ago it took years to roll another 100k.  Now we roll another 100k witin a year or less.  VTSAX is in control.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »
Well, it looks like I can now claim $2M, using my criterion that it only includes investable assets.  Updated my spreadsheet and I'm at $2,006,000, so just over the mark.  I have RSUs, pay and ESOP coming up in the next month, so since I'll invest a good portion of that, it should make this number stick.  My spread sheet shows net worth and it's right at $2.6M.

No, I'm not retired.  Son #1 in college that I'm funding.  Son #2 will enter college as he finishes.  Mostly, however is that my wife is totally freaked about me retiring.  She grew up in a blue collar household where her dad was constantly being laid off as his trade went obsolete (worked in a print shop after going to trade high school, and it shut down, then a small steel mill which closed and finally after a couple years out of work for the city).  I sat down with her one night to figure out what number she would be comfortable with me calling it quits.  $2M?  No.  $10M?  No.  $100M?  No.  $100B???  No.  So I've concluded that she'll never be comfortable, so I've targeted 2 years from now.
It's awesome that you and your wife were able to come to a compromise.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
Keep the incredible stories of sucess coming.  Dreams are being fulfilled.

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2017, 05:50:03 AM »
Broke 1.3 this week and our rolling 12mo gain is 387k thanks to a great year of investing and 50k from a house sale.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2017, 08:56:40 AM »
Broke 1.3 this week and our rolling 12mo gain is 387k thanks to a great year of investing and 50k from a house sale.
That's impressive. Did you have to take a lot of risk for that amount of gain?

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
I have about $1.4 m in investments plus a defined benefit pension that will start in a little less than 4 years.  The pension will be about about $42k per year.  So where does that put me in the race?  Also have debt free home worth about $550k but let's not count that.   

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2017, 06:10:34 PM »
1 to 2 sure seems easier than 0 to 1.

I hit 1m at the end of 2013, am at 1.4 now. Really 1.9 assets but need to shave some debt.

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »
That's impressive. Did you have to take a lot of risk for that amount of gain?

No more risk than anyone else, all my investments are 100% stocks.  We saved 56k in the 401k's, 11k in Roth, 20k in company stock, 50k from the house sale, and 24k in taxable. The rest was investment gains, I think I was up 17% or so on the year

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
Officially halfway to the 2 mark, solidly crossed the 1.5 barrier.  Accounts went up 50k this month, I remember when we first started, it would take more than a year for an increase of that size (most all of it contributions, I think the savings in our very first year was like 18k), to see it happen in one month flabbergasts me.  Also makes me nervous because if it can go up 50k in a month, it can go down 50k in a month. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2017, 08:41:59 AM »
You have to keep the 50K in mind as a minor percentage of Net Worth, not as a (presumably) major fraction of annual income.   
Breathe deep and repeat.... it's only a small percentage.....

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
You have to keep the 50K in mind as a minor percentage of Net Worth, not as a (presumably) major fraction of annual income.   
Breathe deep and repeat.... it's only a small percentage.....

Lol, yea that's pretty much what I've been saying to myself but it's like the realization finally set in that our money is in control now.  That our contributions each year will mean less and less going forward.  Especially when starting out I remember reading that, and I kind of always thought "yea right, we won't hit that point"

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2017, 10:30:45 PM »
I have about $1.4 m in investments plus a defined benefit pension that will start in a little less than 4 years.  The pension will be about about $42k per year.  So where does that put me in the race?  Also have debt free home worth about $550k but let's not count that.
I've seen people use the "180" pension conversion formula to figure out how much their pension is worth.  The formula is this: monthly pension amount x 180 = what the pension is worth.

So if your pension pays you $42K a year that is $3,500 per month.  $3500 x 180 = $630,000.

Your pension is worth $630,000.

Somebody please correct me if I'm off base here.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2017, 03:52:40 AM »
I've seen people use the "180" pension conversion formula to figure out how much their pension is worth.  The formula is this: monthly pension amount x 180 = what the pension is worth.

So if your pension pays you $42K a year that is $3,500 per month.  $3500 x 180 = $630,000.

Your pension is worth $630,000.

Somebody please correct me if I'm off base here.

Why 180?  Seems really arbitrary (15 years x 12 mo/yr = 180).

Really depends on the details of the pension, too.  Is it COLA adjusted?

I'm not a fan of that "multiply by 180" thing.  Never heard of it, and can't fathom where it'd come from, or how a blanket number would apply to all.

To get the value of a pension, if it has a cash out value, use that.  If not, I'd either:
1) Price an annuity that pays the same as the pension, and value it at that, or
2) Do a NPV of the income stream based on actuarial tables for lifespan.

Both are valid, IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2017, 05:43:16 AM »
I'll get a small pension, and the way I am valuing it is:

[Pension in today's $]*25* 1.04^-[number of years till I can draw the pension]

So, for example I am 45 and can get my pension at 55. It is worth $13,000 a year in today's dollars and is indexed to CPI. It will pay until I die. So I value it as

$13,000*25*(1.04)^-10 = $219,500.

I feel that this method is consistent with the 4% rule.

Each year the future payout gets inflated by CPI and the discount gets reduced when I value my stash. So let's say this year we have 3% inflation, then my pension increases to $13,390 and I would value the pension as

$13,390*25*1.04^-9 = $235,190.

Once I get to 55 I won't value it this way.  I'll just reduce the spending I am trying to cover by the pension I have, just like my house (ie: I don't include the house and I don't include rent expense).

But for now, I like to include the pension in my stash calculations as it just makes for simple comparisons with my expenditure budget, and required withdrawal rate, particularly as I won't get the pension for 10 years, so it's value needs to be discounted.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2017, 05:47:03 AM »
I suppose, that given that there s almost zero risk of not receiving the pension (as it is not at the whims of the market and sequence of return risk) I could potentially use a higher multiple than 25, amd retire sooner.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
I suppose, that given that there s almost zero risk of not receiving the pension (as it is not at the whims of the market and sequence of return risk) I could potentially use a higher multiple than 25, amd retire sooner.

Now, see, I think there's a HUGE risk of not receiving the pension. My mister's DB pension is "guaranteed" (in some portion, read the fine print, yadda yadda) by the PBGC, but even so I think there's some chance he gets to 65 in 13 years and they go, "Well, we had good intentions, but..."

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
I am very confident that my pension from a defined benefit scheme has zero risk of non-payment. The scheme is closed now. It was an old superannuation scheme for govt. employees.

I guess Not all pensions are created equal.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
With 2 months notice, my Semi-Big Corp defined benefit pension is now "frozen".   I'm glad I didn't take the future projections seriously.  I didnt even bother including the immediate payout value 5k/year since it is so paltry, into my FIRE calculations.

a retire at 55,pay 19k at 60 became 18k at 65. 

hhmmm... I wonder if personnel retention will be effected? :-)

What is most galling, is that this and other penny-pinching measures are needed to fix a $Billion(s) F$&@up by upper "management" for lack of due diligence.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
Ouch. That sucks. I imagine some peeps have lost out big time. Hopefully they sort out their shit amd your entitlements are paid.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
They have basically switched all of us to the post-2013 new hire defined contribution scheme ( not a 401K, but similar)   of 3% of salary.   Not sure how it saves Semi-BigCorp money. Not my problem ( have FU Money).

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
I hope to join this race sometime in mid-late 2018.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Looks like we've crested 1.7M without real estate.  Could cheat and claim 2M total NW but, 2M is my number for invested assets. Without a recession we should be on a glidescope to FIRE 2019. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »

Besides the fact that it's rude to judge others on their goals, those who think $2 million is way more than they'd ever need to save for retirement also ought to take into account the effect of inflation.   It's all well and good to want to retire on $750k in current dollars.  But if you're in your 30s or even your 40s at FIRE, you could easily have a 50-60 year retirement life expectancy.  Over that time, your $750k will need to become much greater as your money becomes worth less.  In fact, you would likely need to exceed the $1 million mark within a decade or so after FIRE, depending on what you assume for a rate of inflation.

My goal for FI is $800k in 2015 dollars, and I am assuming a 3.5% inflation rate.  This means that I will need to have accumulated $1 million in 2022, and $2 million within about 27 years.  Since I'm only 41 now, yes, I intend to live long enough to need to accumulate $2 million.  And I won't even be collecting SS yet when I do!
  I'm with you and Metric Mouse, more is better unless you really can't stand your job. I'm older semi retired and my wife plans on working 5 more years, mostly to put my daughter through dental school
(about $250,000), I don't expect we will save anything during the next 5 years but I hope to be at $2M by then on market growth and the 2% dividends from VTSAX.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »
I really think 2M is a good goal for most.   I would hate leaving a high paying field in middle age when I lack the passive income to live comfortable, with health care and able to travel.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:41 AM »
I really think 2M is a good goal for most.   I would hate leaving a high paying field in middle age when I lack the passive income to live comfortable, with health care and able to travel.

Yes, obviously higher than most a seeking, and I suspect the kids will get
a nice inheritance. But not a bad place to be, especially with the this healthcare
problem hanging over us.
  On healthcare, it's not about who pays for it, it's about reducing the cost of care.
That may mean a reduced quality of care and some delay in care,
but that could still be quality care.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »
I have a very small pension that if I waited till 65, would be about $300 a month.  I could take lump sum right now of $53,000.  This is from a private company and the money is sitting in Fidelity (shows in my account as the current company name pension).  Even still, I have zero trust in pensions.  I don't know if it's 100% funded or 10% funded.  In my retirement planning, I consider it to be zero.  I suppose if I had to depend on it, I would be best to take the lump sum now.  Maybe I should look into it further because I think I can actually roll it into one of my IRAs.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2017, 06:58:58 AM »
I have a very small pension that if I waited till 65, would be about $300 a month.  I could take lump sum right now of $53,000.  This is from a private company and the money is sitting in Fidelity (shows in my account as the current company name pension).  Even still, I have zero trust in pensions.  I don't know if it's 100% funded or 10% funded.  In my retirement planning, I consider it to be zero.  I suppose if I had to depend on it, I would be best to take the lump sum now.  Maybe I should look into it further because I think I can actually roll it into one of my IRAs.

Car Jack, is the company part of the PBGC program? It's like the FDIC for pensions (not literally, but analogously). If your company participates in the PBGC, a portion of your pension would be "guaranteed".

We are rolling the dice on a pension as well - one that would provide $27K/year but is NOT adjusted for inflation. We were offered a lump sum that appeared to be about half of what the eventual value should be. We decided to stick with the eventual annuity instead. We'll see how that turns out in 12 years.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »
Posting to join in.  We are at 1.09 and market willing, we'll be in this group a while.  I feel like we need a plan to go up from here, but my primary goal is to have our home mortgage paid off within 12-18 months.   Then it will be a game of reducing expenses and learning about actual FIRE living.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »

Car Jack, is the company part of the PBGC program? It's like the FDIC for pensions (not literally, but analogously). If your company participates in the PBGC, a portion of your pension would be "guaranteed".

We are rolling the dice on a pension as well - one that would provide $27K/year but is NOT adjusted for inflation. We were offered a lump sum that appeared to be about half of what the eventual value should be. We decided to stick with the eventual annuity instead. We'll see how that turns out in 12 years.

Learn something new every day, I guess.  I looked into the plan documents (at Fidelity...easy to find) and not only is it a PBGC plan, it's well over 100% funded.  I guess opposite world of how some state pension plans work.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »

Learn something new every day, I guess.  I looked into the plan documents (at Fidelity...easy to find) and not only is it a PBGC plan, it's well over 100% funded.  I guess opposite world of how some state pension plans work.

That's awesome, Car Jack!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »
The thing about health care is --- make sure you are taking care of yourself so you are low-risk.  Maintain a healthy weight, get your cardio exercise regularly,  strength train for a strong core and back, meditate, reduce stress in your life, sleep and eat well, limit alcohol ad sugar, work smart so you don't get injured doing chores, drive carefully, etc. etc. etc.   Prevention is huge and it's all in your control to live as healthy as possible.  That's the great part of it. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:06 PM »
Hit ~$1.0M  in 05/2016 when we sold our house
At  $1.17M in 10/2016 we quit our jobs
At $1.18 at end of 2016

Might be a slow race to two million with no jobs, but hope to join you, doing it while sitting around drinking and hoping the markets do their magic. Slow and steady...

And at $1.2M at 1/31/2017

Presumably this particular rally will end sooner or later, it won't be as long as I thought if it keeps up like this (not that I expect it to)

$1.235M for 3/31/2017 at the end of the quarter.
Not bad for not working. I keep saying it can't last much longer!

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2017, 07:29:23 AM »
$1.235M for 3/31/2017 at the end of the quarter. Not bad for not working. I keep saying it can't last much longer!

Well done. Gotta be great to see the stash still growing after having given the finger to the rat race.
23+% return in 10 months ?   Imagine if it was indicative though... ha ha...

mr_orange

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »
At about $1.46M this week.  I expect us to clear $1.6M this year. 

And yeah....the compounding is nice.  $1M -> $2M is certainly a ton easier than $0 -> $1M.  From other threads I have read the subsequent millions are easier and easier with more compounding.  Gotta love that 8th wonder of the world. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
$1.235M for 3/31/2017 at the end of the quarter. Not bad for not working. I keep saying it can't last much longer!

Well done. Gotta be great to see the stash still growing after having given the finger to the rat race.
23+% return in 10 months ?   Imagine if it was indicative though... ha ha...

And we are relatively conservative compared to some people here (about 80% equities, 20% bonds/cash/fixed income). Our equities are evenly split US and international, the latter has been quite under performing. I can only imagine what's been happening to someone's portfolio who is 100% US stocks!

I don't intend on changing anything, stay the course and not chase returns. I also mentally imagine a 20% drop so hopefully I will be ok with the shock when that happens!

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2017, 07:44:47 AM »
And we are relatively conservative compared to some people here (about 80% equities, 20% bonds/cash/fixed income). Our equities are evenly split US and international, the latter has been quite under performing. I can only imagine what's been happening to someone's portfolio who is 100% US stocks!
I don't intend on changing anything, stay the course and not chase returns. I also mentally imagine a 20% drop so hopefully I will be ok with the shock when that happens!

Our allocation is wayy more conservative.  But we are pretty much done with the accumulation phase and I am still working part time so, different strokes.  If I was in your situation, I would definitely have just about the same strategy.

Preparing for the inevitable decline is what smart, prepared people do. Get ready for: "Don't just do something, stand there"

There has been a lot of speculation lately about what the first significant market downturn will do to all the newly minted indexers who have only seen a bull market.  I think if they can remember their fundamentals and STAY CALM that they will be fine. 

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
We closed March with 1.144k but I found out I will be losing my job in the near future.  We are saving more in cash as a result.  Timeline is unknown.  I could lose the job in 3 months to 12 months.  I'm ready to go.  Just wishing for big package!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
p.s.  Never understand why people post childish denigrations in threads like this ?  Jealousy ?  To make themselves feel better maybe ?     Remember, there are always those better off than you and also worse off than you.   Really, feel free to live your own life and let others live theirs or feel free to STFU.

Are you ok? Anger won't solve this. Let it go... you can't argue with the internet.
I think Koogie may have been referring to Chesbert's snark upthread. I agree with both points of view. You can't argue with the Internet, but you can certainly address haters here on the forum. It helps keep this site the civilized miracle that it is. Knowing who is defeatist, bitter and to be avoided Is quite helpful.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
Are y'all including equity in your primary residence as part of the net worth numbers you're posting or not?  Wondering if I should be in this thread or stay in the race-from-$500k-1m one I'm already in.  We're well past $1m if you include our home equity, but under $1m if you don't.
Happy racing!

I didn't.   Neither did the OP, so I took the same approach.

There has been MAJOR debate about this on other threads.

I said heck with it and always just break out the total with residence and without residence.

In the 'stache measuring contests, I would probably use the method that would make mine look as big as possible.
Pre-FIRE, I counted everything. Post-FIRE, not so much. If I included RE in our crazy HCOLA, I'd be graduated from this thread. Without it, we're comfortably cruising toward $2M.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
I tallied up the numbers from the previous quarter, and I'm currently at $1,170,265.65.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »

Our allocation is wayy more conservative.  But we are pretty much done with the accumulation phase and I am still working part time so, different strokes.  If I was in your situation, I would definitely have just about the same strategy.

Preparing for the inevitable decline is what smart, prepared people do. Get ready for: "Don't just do something, stand there"

There has been a lot of speculation lately about what the first significant market downturn will do to all the newly minted indexers who have only seen a bull market.  I think if they can remember their fundamentals and STAY CALM that they will be fine.

We have also gone towards more conservative allocations in our 'old age' ( mid-40s )... :-)

I took a peek and we are currently around 1.65M NOT including paid-off house....1.95M including the house.

I certainly do expect some sort of correction 'soon'...but as always, nobody can read the future.  I'm also interested in what will happen to the average 100% stock indexer ( note I said 'average'...I don't think most here are 'average' investors ).  So in theory the folks here should be better mentally prepared for a downturn.  However, we have been through 'the crash' and saw many, many people who thought they were prepared but in reality...not so much.  Stay calm folks.

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »

It is. once you get in this group I would(and am) start building passive assets that can support you until it meets expenses, then you can let your money grow on it's own and work if you want to. Mine projects out to over 10mil now doing that just not adding another dime by the time I would normally retire and I do not really want to retire early, I like my job and career; but I do want to get to where I no longer need an income and can just live off my assets in case something happens where I can no longer work in my 40s or above.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »

It is. once you get in this group I would(and am) start building passive assets that can support you until it meets expenses, then you can let your money grow on it's own and work if you want to. Mine projects out to over 10mil now doing that just not adding another dime by the time I would normally retire and I do not really want to retire early, I like my job and career; but I do want to get to where I no longer need an income and can just live off my assets in case something happens where I can no longer work in my 40s or above.

Joining.

Mint puts me at $1.625MM today including my primary residence... If I remove that equity I'm at about $1.4MM invested.  I should be able to get to 2MM invested in about 4-5 years if the market plays nice.

However, my mortgage still has about 12 years left.. and I work from home so my job is not high-stress... so I will probably keep chugging along for a bit past 2MM - Would actually like to see the PseudoStache turn into 3MM invested before I call it quits... but if life gets in the way... or I start hating or lose my job, I'll FIRE with a little a little real estate investing on the side.

Jenny1974

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2017, 03:58:47 PM »
We're at about $1.56M including home equity of about $170K.  Currently adding at least $100 - $200K to that balance annually.  Hope to hit the $2M mark within the next couple years.  Goal is about $2.5M with a paid off house. 

mr_orange

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:02 PM »
We're at about $1.56M including home equity of about $170K.  Currently adding at least $100 - $200K to that balance annually.  Hope to hit the $2M mark within the next couple years.  Goal is about $2.5M with a paid off house.

We have roughly the same goals.  We've been able to do a bit better adding about $250k/year recently, but I can see this decreasing some in future years. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:26:55 PM by mr_orange »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »

We have roughly the same goals.  We've been about to do a bit better adding about $250k/year recently, but I can see this decreasing some in future years.

Yeah, we're a aiming a little lower, but in the ball park. We're Looking for  about $1.7M USD (we're Australian) plus a paid off house. We will buy the house post-fire, and are setting a budget of $500K USD for that. We are just about to pass the $2M USD mark (we passed $2.5M AUD past month)  so now just $300K USD or thereabouts to go. Less than 2 years and we'll be done if markets behave.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2017, 11:53:42 PM »
so now just $300K USD or thereabouts to go. Less than 2 years and we'll be done if markets behave.

Isn't it absurd that what you just said sounds so normal... like it ain't no thang.

It's like, "Doesn't everyone grow their net worth by $300k in two years?"

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2017, 05:19:05 AM »
I am struggling with the passive assets thing.  Of course we're new into this group and our I'm including our home in our NW, so we are around $850 invested and $150k home equity, roughly.  It is nice to see how your 'staches are growing!   A few years ago I was interested in real estate and started to learn about that but it's probably not our calling.  What are your categories of passive income and how are you making them work for you?