Author Topic: Punching smoking in the face!  (Read 48329 times)

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Punching smoking in the face!
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
Thanks guys.

Brett, sounds like that inner decision has been made this time - that's the key to success in quitting, I believe.  Good luck to you as you mark more and more milestones along the way!

You're completely right. I think that's what feels different this time (and forgive the weirdness of this explanation) it's like I've flicked a switch inside my head that's changed my normal setting from smoker to non-smoker. So before where I would try to quit it was like constantly feeling a pull toward smoking, to get back to the normal way of things, and trying to stay away from cigarettes was hard. Whereas now I feel normal not smoking, and the times I get cravings or even have really thought about just giving feel like a struggle to move to roll myself one. It's like being pulled in a different direction.

OK, well that was a horrible mix up of metaphors, but hopefully you understand.

Keep it up everyone else here! Give us an update when you can :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
Makes complete sense to me, Brett.  The way I described it for myself is that I would still get cravings periodically, but they were kind of ... detached.  Like I could feel the craving but from a distance.  I didn't really want one, I just thought I did. 

Come to think of it, cigarettes are a lot like this girl:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUT4sS0lsss

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:52 PM »
Woo-eee, lots happening in here!  =D  Sorry I've been MIA, my internet access has changed a bit, I am not able to be online at work as much as before.  Probably not a bad thing, overall, but I miss my mustachioed friends. 

Great job, all you non-smokers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ZUSQQdoS4

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
32 days today!  *cues up the dancing music*

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #204 on: December 16, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
32 days today!  *cues up the dancing music*

That's amazing!

What made you break the streak last spring?  Any chance it may happen again, or are you on guard against it now?

Wishing you the strongest of will powers. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
Combination of my old boss getting sacked, my new boss taking a while to get comfortable in the role, work stress, family stress...you know, the usual :)

New boss has settled in, so that shouldn't be an issue (fingers crossed), I'm taking measures to cope with the work stress, and I did my trip home in the summer, so I shouldn't be seeing my family until 2014. (I kid, I kid - the trip home was for my sister's wedding, and most of the stress was related to that joyous event.)

I don't know - aside from the Champix-related nausea that still surprises me every time I take it, I'm doing well this time. I'll occasionally be watching a movie or reading and think, "This would be the perfect time to pause and go for a smoke," but then I remember I'm not doing that anymore. It was very helpful when the temperature dropped to the -40s for a week and I wasn't even tempted to go outside for a "break." :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: December 16, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
Way to Go, skandrae!  I broke into a great big smile when I saw your post!

Since KulshanGirl's not around much to post a music link, here you go ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrN4pmEuQA 

quote:  "Moment of silence for the Champions"

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
How are the smokers doing with the holidays?

Punch smoking in the face!

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »
11 smoke-free weeks today ^_^

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »
11 smoke-free weeks today ^_^

Way to go!

Know what'll make you smile even more?  Go calculate how much you'd have spent on cigarettes in the last 11 weeks.

Then come share it here.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »
We've saved 100$ in the last 3 weeks, since my husband had a heart attack and hasnt smoked since then.

Luckily he survived his attack, despite (as it turned out) having two major blockages in his main artery. One was 90% and the other 99%. For the record, the Dr said, no one survives a 100% blockage in their dominant coronary artery.

I dont have the numbers, but his cholesterol and blood pressure are both actually GOOD. What got him was smoking and family history (both his aparents have heart disease and are life long heavy smokers). My husband is 48 and has been smoking a pack a day for the last 15years. I hope he has quit for good, for the sake of his 8 year old and 5 year old children (and mine and his).

I think everyone thinks about cancer and how not every gets lung cancer, but smoking is also a major contributor to heart disease and coronary artery disease.

If he quits smoking for good, thats an extra 150$ a month not going out the door. (but now we have monthly prescriptions, dr co pays, and a big fat hospital bill) so my advice is to quit before that happens to you!

(I smoked for 17 years before I quit when I had my first baby. I know its hard. So what. Do it anyway)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!