Author Topic: Preserving the Harvest A-to-Z (WIP)  (Read 22740 times)

SEAKSR

• Stubble
  • Great day for water landings!
Re: Preserving the Harvest A-to-Z (WIP)
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
Posting to follow. Starting to prepare for the upcoming season now.

Juneboogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 5 o'clock shadow
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
This year I decided to make mint tea bags for holiday gifts, and they were a hit.  Simple enough, too:  cut mint in late fall, dried on screens for a day or two, then stripped the leaves from the stems.  Took a kitchen scissors to the dried leaves to make the pieces more manageable for bagging.   Bought a pack of unbleached paper tea bags from Amazon (cheap) and filled them.  I could fit two or three of these into an envelope with a holiday card for small gifts, but for bigger gifts I turned a couple of storebought paper tea cartons inside-out, then decorated the boxes as I liked.

I was inspired by this thread to not let the mint go to waste again at the end of the growing season.  Thanks, fellow Mustachers!

Thegoblinchief

• Walrus Stache
  • Voluntarist sheepdog
    • The Goblin Chief
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2017, 05:38:18 AM »
This year I decided to make mint tea bags for holiday gifts, and they were a hit.  Simple enough, too:  cut mint in late fall, dried on screens for a day or two, then stripped the leaves from the stems.  Took a kitchen scissors to the dried leaves to make the pieces more manageable for bagging.   Bought a pack of unbleached paper tea bags from Amazon (cheap) and filled them.  I could fit two or three of these into an envelope with a holiday card for small gifts, but for bigger gifts I turned a couple of storebought paper tea cartons inside-out, then decorated the boxes as I liked.

I was inspired by this thread to not let the mint go to waste again at the end of the growing season.  Thanks, fellow Mustachers!

Very cool. I need to dry my mint for the winter next year as even my kids like mint tea.
Presenter at Camp Mustache Canada 2017

Read my urban homesteading adventures here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/food-forest-lagomorphs-and-tiny-dinos-in-the-city/

“The greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this, there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food and shelter.” - Bill Mollison

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
I discovered lactofermented veggies and I truly want to preserve more of my garden this year. I canned a lot of tomato sauce and applesauce and I don't regret it as we are eating through my pantry a lot. I'm trying to sow under protection this year to get ahead as I'm in zone 5 and we have a short summer.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »

Very cool. I need to dry my mint for the winter next year as even my kids like mint tea.

I dried a bunch of mint (air dried, then fished in low, low, low oven). I just use it bulk for tea (mixed with other tea right now).

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2017, 05:07:42 PM »
Not sure if you have touched on this, but in the first post when you say dried blueberries are disappointing; you mean the American type? The European is a different species, and has much more flavour. It is also known as bilberry.
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

Thegoblinchief

• Walrus Stache
  • Voluntarist sheepdog
    • The Goblin Chief
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2017, 07:10:08 AM »
Not sure if you have touched on this, but in the first post when you say dried blueberries are disappointing; you mean the American type? The European is a different species, and has much more flavour. It is also known as bilberry.

American, yes. Don't think I've ever seen the European species here.
Presenter at Camp Mustache Canada 2017

Read my urban homesteading adventures here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/food-forest-lagomorphs-and-tiny-dinos-in-the-city/

“The greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this, there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food and shelter.” - Bill Mollison

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
Started some carrots and cabbage for lactofermentation this week. If I like the taste of them and if they preserve well, I'll probably try a few pounds of each next autumn. :)

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »
I made a couple of herb-salt blends last year as Christmas presents, and am still getting compliments.  Lemon zest dried into the herb-salts works great.  Another use for citrus peels is to make your own lemon or orange extracts (easy recipes on the internet). 

My first garden-yield project this year will probably be sorrel pesto.