Author Topic: Pre-holiday health and fitness goals, anyone?  (Read 15541 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pre-holiday health and fitness goals, anyone?
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2021, 10:16:43 AM »
Am tossing in another element--will participate in Sober October with a few friends (or at least 85% sober since I'm going to be flexible for Thanksgiving,etc). So roughly 26 days without booze (I tend to have a daily drink or two and have been experimenting with reducing this in the last few weeks with some success-- and a few over-indulgences). Looking forward to better sleep and stabilizing energy levels :)

Remember to cut caffeine out of your life at the same time.  Learning to live without dependency on this (probably the most commonly used psychoactive drug in the world) significantly changed the way I view drugs and intoxicants.

Oof, I quit both alcohol and coffee in 2020, but would have never done them both at the same time.

Quitting coffee made my alcohol cravings go through the roof. I'm very happy I separated quitting the two by several months.

That said, I quit coffee because I had to in order to manage my very high heart rate. I would have no problem going back to being a 1 coffee a day drinker if I was medically allowed to. Quitting alcohol was life changing, but quitting coffee has been kind like, m'eh, whatever. I could take it or leave it.

Interestingly I just switched to decaf espresso a couple of weeks ago, so my caffeine consumption is already way down. I won't be eliminating caffeine completely b/c I still like green tea as well but reducing my morning java jolt wasn't too difficult. I think routine and ritual play a big part in that as well.

I am enjoying my micro-yoga/movement sessions. Just 15-20 minutes daily but it's challenging enough to be interesting. Plus, rainy season is here so finding ways to be active inside is helpful!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2021, 10:20:06 AM »
I'm on day two of being totally out of commission with pain, and I'm not thrilled about it.

I'm going to try and get a bit of stretching in though, because lying in bed for too long always fucks me up.

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2021, 10:49:04 AM »
I've been stuck at 3 pounds away from my goal weight for what seems like forever (boo), but I've been continuing to exercise consistently (Day 1 cardio for 40-60 minutes, Day 2 strength or cardio/strength circuit for 30-40 minutes, Day 3 rest), so that's good news. I've been slacking off on balance and gentle stretches, though, and I know I need to do those.

I finally got the Blitzu calf compression sleeves I'd ordered from Amazon. My sister (who does half-Ironmans for fun and is on her feet all day as a nurse) swears by this brand. I'm very prone to shin splints / stress fractures in my lower legs, and I hope these help (combined with the stretch/strengthening exercises I've been doing). I took the compression sleeves for a spin this morning by mixing up the walking portion of my treadmill workout to include 3, 1-minute jogging sessions (at 5.3 MPH) interspersed with incline walking at 3.5 MPH for a total of 20 minutes. That was entertaining and challenging but not too uncomfortable. Then, a moderately challenging elliptical workout for 20 minutes (75 seconds at high intensity followed by 3.25 minutes at an easy pace).

I doubt I'll ever get back to running 10Ks and run-walking half marathons, but I'm having fun, challenging myself and doing my heart some good.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »
I'm on day two of being totally out of commission with pain, and I'm not thrilled about it.

I'm going to try and get a bit of stretching in though, because lying in bed for too long always fucks me up.

Sorry to hear this @Malcat - hoping the pain is lessening for you.

@Anon-E-Mouze --3 lbs away from goal weight is still really great. Plus, sounds like your activity levels are high!

I'm reading this book by Daniel J.Levitin called Successful Aging: A Neuroscientist Explores the Power and Potential of Our Lives (did I mention this here already? ...my memory--just joking)

It's really encouraging in many ways. Moderation in so many things seem to be the healthiest option for most of us according to the research he is looking at..thank goodness. And overall he puts forward that any increase in movement, decrease in stress and stabilization of sleep patterns seems to be substantial in terms of long-term gains. Those seem like really reasonable goals.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »
Hello! Checking in as it has been a few days.  I downloaded an app that does weight trend lines - it's called Happy Scale.  I like it as it evens out the daily or weekly fluctuations.  Weight loss is slow, which is good- averaging 0.4 lb/week.

Daily meditation is going very well and I find it really enjoyable. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »

Sorry to hear this @Malcat - hoping the pain is lessening for you.

Yep, the worst of it has passed, and I'm feeling much better. However, I'm off of salt pills for a few days for a medical test tomorrow, and I'm am draaaaggggggiiiiinnnngggg. It just feels like everything takes boat loads more effort, and by everything, I mean everything. Like just standing up to do anything is a damn slog.

After tomorrow I can restart the salt pills and get back to my more relatively functional level. Having a cardio system that doesn't regulate properly is so bloody disruptive.

Basically, my brain and heart don't coordinate properly, so my heart kind of lags behind whatever I'm trying to do by several minutes. Like, a normal person just stands up and their entire complicated circulatory system adjusts to the change in needs for blood flow.

So if I do anything, and I mean anything, it requires my heart to adjust what it's doing, and mine just doesn't for several minutes, which means my blood pressure bottoms out and I feel like you do right before you puke, and then my heart rate sky rockets and I feel like I'm being chased by a bear.

Literally every time I move.

That's why I need the mega doses of salt, it keeps my blood pressure high enough not to bottom out, and if it doesn't bottom out, the heart rate doesn't start racing as much to compensate.

It doesn't get rid of the problem, but it sure as hell makes basic function, like standing up, or taking a shower, a hell of a lot less unpleasant or dangerous (lots of losing consciousness).

So I'm pretty eager to get back to the salt. It's virtually impossible to do any real exercise otherwise, my heart has a fucking meltdown trying to keep up. And then there's puking, or fainting, or both, and that's just unpleasant.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2021, 12:04:57 PM »
My goals for the rest of this year are to lower my cholesterol and increase my deadlift :) 

I get my bloodwork done once a year for work, and last February my total cholesterol was 281 mg/dL.  HLD is good at 53, triglycerides are good at 110, LDL is...not good, at 204 mg/dL.  It's always been high, but between pregnancy and breastfeeding the last 6 years I haven't done much about it.  I've also gained probably 15 or 20 lbs since February, so that's not helping.
  • I've recently started eating beans (like, at all, because I kind of hate them), and I'm working on incorporating more flax/chia into meals. 
  • I already lift weights 3-4 days/week, but I'm planning to add in a day or two of running or spinning weekly, because my endurance cardio is terrible. 
  • I'm going to try to get more salmon into my life?  I have been eating smoked on my salads every other week, but it's $$$ for the protein and I want to eat it for dinner too.  My husband feels like salmon is "just ok, kind of meh", so he's always very unenthusiastic about salmon meals.  Too bad for him!
I don't love that there's nothing I can do to check this goal progress, but really other than statins there's not much else I can do about it anyway.  I'm getting old enough that my lack of other risk factors doesn't outweigh how high my cholesterol really is, and I want to avoid needing medication for it if I can.

As far as the deadlift, that's just going to be a continuation of what I'm doing.  I need to add another 7% onto the weight I'm doing to reach my goal by the end of the year.  In the last year and a half I've increased my deadlifts by about 36% from my starting point, but this last bit is kind of a slog.   As long as I don't randomly injure myself I should be able to make it.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2021, 04:06:43 PM »
@Malcat - oooh that sucks.  I had a very low blood pressure spell after my 1st child was born and it was terrible- I couldn't drive, I would fall over randomly, I'd get confused... just terrible.  Sending good vibes that you can get back to salt soon.

@chaskavitch - Canned salmon isn't all that bad and it is not terribly expensive.  I use it to make salmon burgers sometimes.  Also WOW on that deadlift improvement!

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2021, 04:43:42 PM »
@chaskavitch Have you tried fish oil?  I took Lipitor for awhile, but stopped due to side effects.  My doc recommended Krill oil supplement, and it worked.  My cholesterol runs a little higher than on Lipitor, but not anywhere near as high as it did with nothing.

I like the foods rich in those oils, but have trouble getting them in regularly.  Canned salmon makes a great spread for crackers.  I like to mix it with horseradish and mayo. 

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2021, 07:02:31 AM »
I've done well sticking to my 14hr fasts and exercise program despite my allergy medicine kicking my ass.  Sleeping in a recliner all week and the constant popping of Zyrtec and Benadryl is wearing me down.  Today should be a cardio day but I think it's rapidly turning into a rest day with lots of Netflix.  I can't wait for a hard  freeze.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2021, 07:17:29 AM »
@Malcat - oooh that sucks.  I had a very low blood pressure spell after my 1st child was born and it was terrible- I couldn't drive, I would fall over randomly, I'd get confused... just terrible.  Sending good vibes that you can get back to salt soon.

Ah, so you understand the BP part of it, which really is the worst. The high heart rate is annoying, because it feels like anxiety, even though I have no anxiety, but the low BP is just awful. Thankfully I can get back to taking salt today and should feel much better.

Lol, that said, I look GREAT without the salt pills and the pounds of water they retain. Not at all worth it, but fun to be reminded what abs look like.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2021, 09:59:22 AM »
This thread might be just the ticket I am looking for.
It has already provided a number of insights into how I should approach my process of shedding some pounds, stress and anger as I deal with a difficult mom descending into Alzheimer's with my brothers who are now starting to recognize the symptoms I have been observing for two years now. 

I have taken the first steps just this morning and Tuesday.  Tuesday I found a personal trainer that works with over 50 people and I have made a commitment to work with them for 10 session in November.  I am going to have a little more time then. This morning I left messages with two different therapists to see which one click with me. 

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »
i lifted weights last night for the first time since about February of 2020. Joined a boutique gym near my house.

I took it easy as i know i will be sore for days but man it feels so good to lift again. i used to lift all the time from high school and college athletics and after till about when we had kids. So for the last 6 years or so i have hardly lifted or worked out for that matter.

Hoping this is the start to getting back on the band wagon

i am considering the CAR.O.L bike for efficiency

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2021, 11:36:19 AM »
Aaaand I'm back! *Jazz hands*

My 2g of salt and liter of water have kicked in and I'm back to being able to stand up like a normal, functional human, and I am friggin' AMPED about it.

I am about to leave for a week in the Appalachian mountains in Quebec. Which, for anyone reading who doesn't know about Quebec, means a week of unbelievable food, and if I were still a drinker, also incredible wines, beers, and ciders.

Food is a very big deal in Quebec, and most of my favourite restaurants *in the world* are there.

For the next week my diet will consist primarily of cheese made by monks, baguette and croissants made by traditional French bakers, foie gras from small local duck farms, and beef from truly free range Scottish Highland cows who will be meandering casually around my cabin on the top of a mountain.

For the skiers, the mountain I will be on top of, with the shaggy haired cows, is called J Peak, because that's the view across the river/border from the cabin.

Weight will be gained before I return. I primarily blame the monks for it.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2021, 12:54:47 PM »
Oh Malcat, that's wonderful!!! I'm glad your pain's better and you get to enjoy some good cheese.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »
Week 1 progress update:
weight: 132 today (started at 135.6, but has been bouncing around a lot)
average calorie intake: 1600 (range 1000-2200), unless I'm way off on my portion sizes. My heartburn is better since I've been eating less.
Macros: 47% carbs, 34% fat, 19% protein (pretty close to MFP goal of 50/30/20).
Exercise: fitbit says I averaged 11k steps per day.

Week 2 Progress Update:
I've definitely had a bit more trouble sticking to my goals this week, due to assorted work/family stress and just not paying as much attention to it.
Weight: 131.2-bounced a bit lower than that throughout the week but I'm sticking to Thursday weigh-ins for consistency. MTW are my busy days at work so I probably eat more on those days.
Calories: avg 1800/day on the six days that I tracked
Macros: avg 50% carbs, 34% fat, 16% protein
Exercise: avg 8k steps/day. Also no bike riding because my bike got stolen last week and I'm not going to replace it this late in the season with a long-distance move coming up. No strength training either because I am lazy.

Changes needed: I'm going to try to do the nerd fitness circuit at least once every morning, since that only takes 15 minutes or so. I have a lighter week of work coming up so this should be doable.

Present Muse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2021, 07:28:44 PM »
Ok, I'm in! 

Many years back I gained a bunch of weight after an injury and was never able to get rid of it so I'm hoping this will help.  The geek in me likes tracking metrics so I'm going to log the days I'm following my plan along with weight and body fat.  However, I'll be doing this in percentages of my goals (100% being the target goal).  The first week isn't looking great, but I'm just starting to get into the rhythm of things.

Week  %DaysExercised  %DaysEatingWell  %WeightGoal  %FatGoal
40%
0%
0%
0%

Good luck everyone!

Update for Week2: can't complain given that I didn't go all in for exercise and eating.  So far so good.

Week  %DaysExercised  %DaysEatingWell  %WeightGoal  %FatGoal
40%
0%
0%
0%
60%
14%
16%
12%

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2021, 07:03:13 AM »
@Malcat  I'm so glad you are feeling better in time for your vacation.  That sounds like my kind of vacation.  We used to do a road trip each year that focused on craft breweries and good food.  I've missed that most since Covid started.

Yesterday I eventually felt good enough for a rowing session so my fasting/exercise trend remains unbroken.  Today was scheduled to be a body weight day but the lawn is getting long and it's supposed to rain the next three days.  Lawn mowing cardio it is!  At least with lawn mowing I get to see some results for all my sweating and yardwork. 

Ive also done pretty good with cutting the sweets after meals.  The one advantage to my allergies is that when they get really bad, sweets taste awful.  Unfortunately that also applies to water too..  I really struggle with the water intake in the fall.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2021, 07:25:07 AM »
@Malcat  I'm so glad you are feeling better in time for your vacation.  That sounds like my kind of vacation.  We used to do a road trip each year that focused on craft breweries and good food.  I've missed that most since Covid started.

Yesterday I eventually felt good enough for a rowing session so my fasting/exercise trend remains unbroken.  Today was scheduled to be a body weight day but the lawn is getting long and it's supposed to rain the next three days.  Lawn mowing cardio it is!  At least with lawn mowing I get to see some results for all my sweating and yardwork. 

Ive also done pretty good with cutting the sweets after meals.  The one advantage to my allergies is that when they get really bad, sweets taste awful.  Unfortunately that also applies to water too..  I really struggle with the water intake in the fall.

Have you ever tried totally cutting out sweets for a length of time?
I suggest this not because sweets are bad or because I'm a fan of cutting out specific types of food, this isn't a diet thing I'm suggesting, it's a neurological behaviour thing.

I can easily give myself a sweet tooth by eating sweets for about a week, and then the cravings become intense every evening, especially after dinner. Like fixating thoughts that just don't go away.

However, all I have to do is stop eating sugar for about 3-6 weeks and my taste for it basically disappears and all sweet stuff becomes WAY too intense for me.

I've spent most of my life having little to no interest in sugar at all, but that's because I don't keep it in the house. There is literally never any sweet snack in the house unless it was bought to be eaten that day. If there is any leftover, I will throw it out. Because one day of sweet is fine, but even just a few days in a row can trigger those unbearable evening sugar cravings.

So if you find yourself with a habit of eating sugar when you know you don't want to, consider a behavioural reset. If you're at all like me, you may totally lose your taste for sweets.

FTR, I take this approach with any habit that consists of a behaviour that I don't want to be doing. I take it as a HUGE alarm bell when I do things that I know I don't want to be doing. I don't consider that an acceptable way to live, so if I find a habit creeping in that I don't want, then I typically first try totally shutting it out for 6 weeks to see if that eliminates it.

I don't take it lightly when my behaviour doesn't match my intentions.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2021, 09:38:09 AM »

Have you ever tried totally cutting out sweets for a length of time?
I suggest this not because sweets are bad or because I'm a fan of cutting out specific types of food, this isn't a diet thing I'm suggesting, it's a neurological behaviour thing.

I can easily give myself a sweet tooth by eating sweets for about a week, and then the cravings become intense every evening, especially after dinner. Like fixating thoughts that just don't go away.

However, all I have to do is stop eating sugar for about 3-6 weeks and my taste for it basically disappears and all sweet stuff becomes WAY too intense for me.

I've spent most of my life having little to no interest in sugar at all, but that's because I don't keep it in the house. There is literally never any sweet snack in the house unless it was bought to be eaten that day. If there is any leftover, I will throw it out. Because one day of sweet is fine, but even just a few days in a row can trigger those unbearable evening sugar cravings.

So if you find yourself with a habit of eating sugar when you know you don't want to, consider a behavioural reset. If you're at all like me, you may totally lose your taste for sweets.

FTR, I take this approach with any habit that consists of a behaviour that I don't want to be doing. I take it as a HUGE alarm bell when I do things that I know I don't want to be doing. I don't consider that an acceptable way to live, so if I find a habit creeping in that I don't want, then I typically first try totally shutting it out for 6 weeks to see if that eliminates it.

I don't take it lightly when my behaviour doesn't match my intentions.

Yep.  Before I moved in with my bf I rarely ate sweets.  It's one of the bad habits of his that I've picked up that I'm trying to fix.  I have had the same experience as you with modifying my behavior in the past.  I just need to focus on the change for a few weeks and then it becomes my natural routine.  The last few years have been stressful with work and I developed some bad habits as a sort of self soothing.  Now that I'm retired and starting to decompress it's time to address this crap.  I know it's not healthy but now I have the mental energy to correct the bad habits and work on some new healthy ones.

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
Ok, so far I failed my workout goals. I did short workouts only twice. Hopefully, I’ll be more consistent in October. In addition, I decided to stop buying anything containing sugar for a month. Cutting out sweets has always been difficult for me but right now I feel ready to attempt it once more.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2021, 08:29:32 AM »
Great to read the updates here.
Things have been pretty good for me..a few small but challenging yoga sessions and one great rainy hike with friends.
I’ve started Sober-ish October and am aiming for 85% or around 26 days without a drink 😊

Have been having some joint pain which is disconcerting as I work in a physical job that requires dexterity with my hands so am experiencing some stress around that but..overall things are good.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2021, 08:39:22 AM »
I've been on a weight lifting kick for the last 5-6 months, and have seen some big gains in my strength, including some lifetime PRs, at age 51.  I'm a little torn on goals, though.  My aerobic / running capacity has completely gone out the window since switching concentration to strength.  So, I'll either continue on hoping to lift: bench press 1.25x my weight, squat 1.5x, and deadlift 1.75x.  Or, I'll keep lifting but more of a maintenance program, and try to see if I can successfully balance the two disciplines.  I just need to decide.

It's fun having a problem like this.  Less than a year ago I was 32 lbs heavier and in terrible shape.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2021, 08:39:31 AM »
Ugh, I've blown out my "good hip", so I'm fucked for any kind of movement for...who knows, could be a day, could be a week, could be a few months, it's totally unpredictable.

I can't even shift my weight in bed at the moment, but I'm really hoping that passes after a day of rest. We'll see.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »
I'm a little late to the game, but I'd like to join too. I've been wanting to get back on the fitness train for a year now, but I can't seem to, so this thread may be just what I need.

I used to lift weights a lot, and then a couple years ago I started running seriously. When the pandemic hit, all of that went right down the drain. Now I'm soft, flabby, and I probably have 10 to 15 pounds of unwanted fat.

So yeah. I've been wanting to do back to the gym, but Delta has kept me from doing that. My state has a vaccine mandate going into effect on Oct 25th, but I'm not sure if/how my (small, independently owned) gym will enforce that, if they even can. I need to get over my fear. Maybe I'll get a personal trainer for a few months to start.

But I can go and run. No excuse for that (yet. PNW's winters are another issue).

As for my diet, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just need to stop buying cheese lol. I saw some people in this thread wanting to do IF - I've been doing that for a few years now, so if anyone wants some pointers, please don't hesitate.

I'm going to do some skiing at Christmas. Haven't skied for like 20 years. That should be a good motivation to at least try and get my legs in some semblant of shape, right?

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2021, 09:01:35 AM »
Ugh, I've blown out my "good hip", so I'm fucked for any kind of movement for...who knows, could be a day, could be a week, could be a few months, it's totally unpredictable.

I can't even shift my weight in bed at the moment, but I'm really hoping that passes after a day of rest. We'll see.

Shit. I hope you get better fast.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2021, 09:46:39 AM »

Shit. I hope you get better fast.

It's cyclical, on a path downwards overall, I'm waiting for surgery, but that could take years thanks to covid.

In the meantime, I get injections to help, but they seem to only be lasting a few months now, and they actually make it worse for the first month. So I get worse pain for one month and then relief for 2.

My mantra, no matter how sick I got or how difficult life would get was that "at least I can still walk".

Lol, well, God likes to laugh at me.

The kicker? I'm currently on a vacation whose main feature is hiking, and my hips last week were the best they've been in a long time.

As I said, God likes to laugh at me. So I just try to shrug and laugh along.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2021, 06:04:31 PM »
Because of being a woman and it being dangerous to maintain IF, I am not fasting on Mondays and Fridays, but for the ease of maintaining the habit of not eating past my typical eating window, I'm just having a few carby non-alcoholic beverages.

However, yesterday being Friday, and being on the road for most of the afternoon, I had lots of bread and cheese and then late night ice cream after our amazing hike adventure that destroyed my hip (worth it, absolutely amazing experience).

But wow, has that made getting back to fasting today so much harder than it normally is when I just have a few beverages instead.

It's like going straight back to the first day. Note to self, if I overdo it on a non-fasting evening, it's like going right back to square one.

Suboptimal.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »
For purposes of this thread, I'll be reporting on numbers of days completing assigned physical therapy and (all shorter and/or flatter than The Hike). Goal is PT on 2 of every 3 days, hiking 1x per week and walking 2x per week.

At the time I'd posted the above, the 2 out of 3 day pace was established, but then I skipped 2 days instead of 1 day. But I was right on for 1 hike and 2 walks. Not bad.

PT 3/7, only 1 session shy of my goal, not bad

1 walk, 0 hikes

Have joined a local virtual challenge that should help with the walking/hiking motivation. Also have a camping/hiking vacation coming up this month that will also help.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2021, 06:08:52 AM »
After 2 weeks, I'm up 2lbs.  I may need to rethink my diet.  I didn't really want to go back to low carb but that really seems to be the only way I lose weight. I get groceries on Mondays so I'll need to dig through Paprika over the next few days for my LC recipes.  On the plus side, I've been very consistent with my exercise.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2021, 06:26:29 AM »
I'm managing to stick to IF on holidays, which is great.

I'm eating like I'm on holidays, so lots of cheese and bread, and I just had pie for breakfast, but I can only eat so much in a 6hr window. Not drinking alcohol helps too.

I brought a yoga mat to dinky exercises, but I use a thicker mat at home, and the yoga mat is too uncomfortable, so I've only done them once, and even then, only half of them.

I've hiked a ton though, despite hurting my hip, but it popped back into place and hasn't bothered me since Saturday, so that's been great.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2021, 07:20:48 AM »
After 2 weeks, I'm up 2lbs.  I may need to rethink my diet.  I didn't really want to go back to low carb but that really seems to be the only way I lose weight. I get groceries on Mondays so I'll need to dig through Paprika over the next few days for my LC recipes.  On the plus side, I've been very consistent with my exercise.

What kind of exercise are you doing?  Is it possible that the weight gain is muscle, rather than fat?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2021, 07:37:12 AM »
I'm in. I've been consistently working out (90ish% of the time) every day. But, sloppiness on the eating side. I want to continue to slowly lose a few pounds, and not go through my standard "regain" during the winter months.

Okay, here's how I'm doing:
-I've lost 2 lbs, by really increasing the activity (more below) & focusing on my calories
-I'm generally sticking with my daily calorie goals (a couple of days over), and am eating well in terms of balanced meals, etc
-I'm participating in a step challenge at work, and challenging myself to 20k/day (I'm usually at 10-12k). This has been a fun way to focus on really getting exercise whenever I can. Son at the dentist, and I have to wait outside due to COVID? Walk around the streets. Waiting for someone at soccer practice? 90 minutes of walking.

A few things I need to continue to focus on, with the above.
-My appetite is definitely increasing, with the higher level of fitness. I'm okay going a bit over if I'm really, truly hungry. But, I need to keep it in check, so the workouts aren't negated.
-Make sure I'm also doing strength training. I get so caught up in the cardio, that I forget about the strength training.
-Avoid evening snacks & emotional eating. For the evening snacks, it's as simple as taking my Kindle to bed to read for a bit, vs watching a show & eating a snack. For the emotional eating, this is a long term work in progress. I'm currently doing a meditation series on mindful eating.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »

What kind of exercise are you doing?  Is it possible that the weight gain is muscle, rather than fat?

3 days a week I do body weight exercises (Nerd Fitness beginners routine) and the rest of the week is cardio (walking, rowing or lawn mowing).

I don't think 6 sessions of body weight exercise is going to put on 2lbs of muscle.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2021, 10:55:07 AM »

Sometimes when a new exercise regime is started, especially a muscle building one, there can be quite a bit of water retention while the muscles repair.  I've noticed that days after I do a challenging barre workout and I am sore, my morning weigh in is usually at least a pound heavier.  So, it could be that, too.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
Week 3 update:
Weight is 125.8 : guessing this loss is my body holding onto less water as I'm eating better. I've definitely noticed less leg edema in the last few days.
Avg calorie intake was 1800 (49%carb, 17% protein, 34% fat)-need to try to increase protein a little more
Exercise: average 12k steps per day, also did bodyweight exercises 3x (nerd fitness beginner routine)

Did my first wall headstand yesterday. It wasn't pretty but my kids were amused. Planning to practice this more often until I can do one without using the wall.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2021, 09:16:27 AM »
I'm trying to do this. Mostly it is more of a behaviour goal now than some defined objective.

Work day diet goals:
Only eat chia seeds before noon. I dump them in my company coffee.
Only eat plain oatmeal and three hard boiled eggs the rest of the day.

General diet goals:
No added sugar
Minimal calories consumed via drinks.

Here's one I recommend for everyone: Start an exercise program during the Fall time change! Suddenly having a free extra hour can really help establish this habit. I've found that goals started on this day are a lot stickier than goals started during the rest of the year. That extra hour takes more than a month to fully wear off. My goal is to do two sets of body weight exercise twice per day - before and after I brush my teeth morning and night - starting then. Currently I am only doing this in the morning. If I can find a way I'd like to work in running again too. I stopped running in March when we had a baby.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2021, 09:19:40 AM »
We're finally leaving the land of cheese, foie gras, and croissants.
DH did an impressive amount of dessert eating, like literally whole sugar pies to himself, but with his sub 10% body fat and 20 hours of mountain biking he did, he can get away with it.

I, on the other hand, stuck to IF, but still feel inflated like a balloon. Lol
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 07:09:51 PM by Malcat »

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2021, 07:40:52 PM »
Since today is my birthday, I took the day off from healthy eating and exercise with the full intention of going strict low carb on Monday once I get groceries.  Of course then my boyfriend's parents stopped by to give me a homemade pumpkin pie as a present. This was super sweet of them because I LOVE pumpkin pie.  Unfortunately, my bf hates it with a passion.  So now I have a whole pie in my fridge and no one to split it with.  I do NOT need to eat that much pie.  Ugh.  I hate the thought of throwing away food.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »
Checking in on my progress:
-I'm absolutely crushing the cardio, due to my step challenge at work. In fact, I've had more cardio minutes so far in October than four other months this year. I'm walking or running 10 miles/day, and it's been pretty fun to challenge myself. It's not the type of thing I can do consistently all the time, but it does remind me that a bit of extra walking here & there really adds up.
-I'm mixed on calories. I've been generally eating well, but the additional exercise has increased my appetite. I need to really keep any eye on it.
-I've done well on avoiding the snacks/emotional eating

Focus for the week:
-Continue for the above
-Keep the calories in check
-Increase stretching & strength time

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2021, 01:41:26 PM »
I just started a 5 week "Aerobic Base Building Challenge", because I never run, and I don't bike anymore, and my cardio is terrible.  My 3x 5 min walk/2 min run was already rough, so I guess I chose the right starting place :)

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
Since today is my birthday, I took the day off from healthy eating and exercise with the full intention of going strict low carb on Monday once I get groceries.  Of course then my boyfriend's parents stopped by to give me a homemade pumpkin pie as a present. This was super sweet of them because I LOVE pumpkin pie.  Unfortunately, my bf hates it with a passion.  So now I have a whole pie in my fridge and no one to split it with.  I do NOT need to eat that much pie.  Ugh.  I hate the thought of throwing away food.

You can freeze pumpkin pie!  Divide it into slices, wrap tightly, and freeze! Then you can have a slice a week for the next month and not waste anything.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2021, 12:44:56 PM »
Ahh...so nice to get back to our normal diet.

I love our annual cheese vacation, but my body likes my cooking, so it's always great to come back to it. I just made a Deep Green Lentil Stew.

Exercise is totally out for a bit, I just had some hip injections and I'm on bed rest.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
Update on the weight loss: I've lost 1.2 lbs in the last 30 days according to my weight trend app.  So short of the 0.5/week goal, but things are moving in a good direction. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2021, 04:51:52 PM »
Last week was a write off (with exercise) due to hamstring and biceps injuries. Even this week has been off since I can’t do much walking or yoga.
But..I’m resting and doing self-care which is important. Also have been pretty successful with Sober-ish  October. Only wine with Thanksgiving dinner and a touch of Baileys in coffee but otherwise I’ve been booze free. Offered to be DD for bookclub tonight as well.
Aiming to get back to more physical activity next week—don’t want to push it with these muscle strains.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
I would LOVE to lose 8 lb.

But like Malcat, it's a struggle.  I gained those 8 lb in Jan/Feb (the peak of COVID stress).  And. they. just. won't. come. off.

If I very carefully weigh and measure my food and keep calories at ~1500-1600 a day, I can get it to come off.  But seriously, I've lost only a single pound.  I think.
Because my weight fluctuates over the month, and my cycle is not at all normal - let's call it "maybe menopausal".

Also, I've been training for a couple of half marathons, and it's really difficult and somewhat counterproductive to try and lose weight right now - because I'm trying to fuel for the running.  So, maybe after the last race in November?  For weight loss, I can do it with strict calorie counting and a LOT of vegetables. For racing, I need carbs.  So.

On a PLUS note, I struggle with injury, and several times in the last few years, everything went to shit at ~60-65 miles a month of running.  That's generally when I hit the peak of half marathon training, or in some cases, I was training for shorter races but going for speed.

Well.  August and Sept were BOTH > 70 miles and NO injuries.  So here's the secret - stretching.  mobility.  hip and core exercises - NO EXCUSES THESE ARE NOT OPTIONAL.  And finally - choosing an APPROPRIATE pace for my body.

Anyway, TLDR (too late): I am still hoping to take off a few pounds in November and December, before we go visit family for 2 weeks on vacation.  We shall see.  After the last race, I hope to return to a more normal amount of running, bump the weight lifting back up to 3x a week of heavier weights, and reduce carbs a bit, and hope for the best.  Honestly aiming for 2 lbs a month.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2021, 07:41:07 PM »
2lbs/mo is a great pace. When you are consistently losing, the time flies. Weight loss only feels slow when it's not consistent and you can trust that it will continue.

But if you find something that just consistently works and you enjoy doing it, it's such a nice, steady pace. I did that for years, and the process never felt slow.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2021, 08:19:10 AM »
It's been 4 weeks already!! This time is really flying.
Update: Weight is 125.2, which is a 10lb loss from when I started this thread (mostly water I think). Skinny pants fit again.  I would like to lose another 5lbs before Christmas.
Diet: calories avg 1700/day (57% carb, 14% protein, 29% fat)-Need to add more eggs maybe.  heavy on carbs because I made bread on Sunday. Tracking is becoming easier.
Exercise: steps avg 12k/day I've taken to walking my dog after dinner, for mental health reasons more than anything. A couple good hikes over the weekend with 40lb toddler on my back counts as strength training, right?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2021, 12:29:31 PM »
15 months ago when I gave up alcohol I lost 12 lbs. That was motivating and I eat 1600 calories 6 days a week and one day I don’t count. I lost 50lbs and am maintaining. I walk 2 miles a day fast. I eat my big meal at lunch and have a snack at dinner time. By 6 I am done eating until breakfast the next day around 9.

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2021, 09:14:15 AM »
I’m down ~2 lbs in the past month. Sticking with the intermittent fasting during the week (except morning coffee with cream) and breaking from it on the weekends.

That puts me up ~5 lbs from a year ago and ~15 lbs from before COVID.

Making progress.