Author Topic: Plastic-free February  (Read 24315 times)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Plastic-free February
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:54 PM »
Well we brought along our own ground coffee on our holiday but I didn't think about tea...

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
DAY 8 & 9 RESULTS!

Other thoughts:
I was thinking about razors yesterday. I don't shave all that much so we are talking one plastic razor lasting months but it would be nice to have a reusable one. Does anyone have a no-plastic one? How does it go with underarms (ie heavy man sized razor, fiddly location, does it work logistically?)

Yes! I used to have a metal safety double edge razor (I really need to get a new one). Nowadays they are quite easy to find, which wasn't so true 10 years ago. I don't recall which brand I had, but they work really well, and there's no plastic involved*. You can get new ones or restored vintage ones. Here's a helpful article!

http://www.iconicshavers.com/best-safety-razors-for-women/

*Many of the blades you can buy are wrapped in paper too. You might need to use trial and error to find a brand you like and that come in paper.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:55:36 AM by CalBal »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »
Having a hard time finding certain items (fresh herbs) that aren't packed in plastic. Might have to investigate building a small hydroponic station so I can grow them inside during these winter months!

This year, have not used any disposable coffee cups and no plastic straws. We have reduced our garbage waste and now take out the bin only 1x/month. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2018, 02:41:54 AM »
Yesterday I met a woman who had brought her own reusable tea bag to an event. I told her I only use loose tea at home, but she saw reasons to bring it along at other places as well. That was impressive.
I almost wanted to tell her about the concept of reusable menstrual pads, but thought that might be inappropriate in that setting... ;-)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
Having a hard time finding certain items (fresh herbs) that aren't packed in plastic. Might have to investigate building a small hydroponic station so I can grow them inside during these winter months!

This year, have not used any disposable coffee cups and no plastic straws. We have reduced our garbage waste and now take out the bin only 1x/month. :)

Congrats on the cups and straws! Hubby has managed to just use one coffee cup in Feb. Growing your own herbs sounds like a good idea. It's so much more cost effective too when you only need a few sprigs. Mint and oregano and particularly weed like and easy. Thyme I find a bit more prissy but it is at least a perennial. In our supermarkets we can normally buy herbs growing in a pot so at least if they are annuals you can keep them alive til you need them eg. basil.

DAY 10, 11, 12 RESULTS!

So we were away for a couple of days and we didn't do *too* badly, although it was mostly a cheat because we ate out all the lunches and dinners. Minus points - on the way home we of course were not organised, our planned plastic free dinner stop had closed for the day and we ended up with a servo sandwich in a plastic box. Ah well. I also didn't think to bring loose leaf tea so used teabags. On the plus side - the place we stayed had packaging free soap and the loose dishwasher powder etc looked like it was refilled from bulk containers.

Yesterday I avoided plastic by buying milk in a glass bottle and making up a batch of milk powder milk too. We had the milk powder milk on our cereal and I must say, it's not good. Such a weird taste. The milk was the same brand I had before but this time I was able to shake the bottle to mix through the cream instead of having lumps. Yay!

Overall, I am still all over the place and not planning things out very well!

I'm also trying out a new app called Y Waste where you buy food at cost that businesses are chucking out. This will inevitably lead to some plastics coming into the house as I can't pick what I take home, but the aim of the app is to reduce food waste. I think I will have to test it out to see where I *can* successfully use it plastic free. I am quite hopeful that I can get and freeze a bunch of fancy bread from a bakery that does not use plastic near-ish me at a fraction of the cost. We will see.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2018, 07:14:32 PM »
DAY 8 & 9 RESULTS!

Other thoughts:
I was thinking about razors yesterday. I don't shave all that much so we are talking one plastic razor lasting months but it would be nice to have a reusable one. Does anyone have a no-plastic one? How does it go with underarms (ie heavy man sized razor, fiddly location, does it work logistically?)

Yes! I used to have a metal safety double edge razor (I really need to get a new one). Nowadays they are quite easy to find, which wasn't so true 10 years ago. I don't recall which brand I had, but they work really well, and there's no plastic involved*. You can get new ones or restored vintage ones. Here's a helpful article!

http://www.iconicshavers.com/best-safety-razors-for-women/

*Many of the blades you can buy are wrapped in paper too. You might need to use trial and error to find a brand you like and that come in paper.

Thanks, I will look at these options. Do you ever sharpen blades or just dispose of them?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2018, 07:17:28 PM »
Yesterday I met a woman who had brought her own reusable tea bag to an event. I told her I only use loose tea at home, but she saw reasons to bring it along at other places as well. That was impressive.
I almost wanted to tell her about the concept of reusable menstrual pads, but thought that might be inappropriate in that setting... ;-)

Yeah, a bit much for a first meeting, unless it's a periods conference! Did she have a little baggy to carry the wet tea bag home again?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:51 PM »
CHEESE...

I buy my cheese in 1kg blocks because it's cheaper and requires less plastic packaging per gram of cheese. I'm still using the block I bought in January, but I saw this fancy cheese reduced to clear and thought I'd buy to see what the packaging is. I've also seen butter in this sort of foil.

Anyway - it scrunched like foil, so could well be recyclable (we can put a big ball of aluminium foil in our recycling) but it's got this sort of greaseproof paper on the inside. I reckon when the cheese is finished I could try and soak off the paper and see if the worms will eat it but it's probably plastic coated. Therefore this is not much different to buying cheese in normal plastic really, is it? Bummer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2018, 01:20:53 AM »

Yeah, a bit much for a first meeting, unless it's a periods conference! Did she have a little baggy to carry the wet tea bag home again?

No, she let the reusable bag dry in her hand and put it right in the pocket of her vest. She said it was surprisingly dry.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:14:10 AM by Linda_Norway »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »
Spreading the message with humour...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156284619950712&id=287683225711

Plus a feel good article about glass milk bottles. I hope reusables return!

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9442394
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:44:21 PM by Fresh Bread »

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
Thanks, I will look at these options. Do you ever sharpen blades or just dispose of them?

Hi @Fresh Bread, you dispose of them. They are very thin double edged blades (100% metal) but I don't think they are sharpen-able. I don't really think there is a way to recycle them as that would be dangerous, but when you think about it, the disposable blades have metal in them also and are not recyclable either. You can dispose of them in a sharps bin, if one is available somewhere nearby, but I usually save them up in an old plastic container until I have a whole bunch and tape them in some cardboard or something and throw that away. You don't want someone getting cut by them. I also use them for longer than you are "supposed" to, so they last a while.

(Straight blades are sharpen-able, those are the razors you see in old-timey movies (and some people still do use them today, some people say they are the best!), but I don't think you can use them on legs and armpits. Also they are crazy sharp, I would be a little afraid!)

I ended up ordering a new Merkur after all this talk! And a variety pack of blades to see what I like. From when I had the metal safety razor last time, there definitely are differences in the brands of blades. I don't remember what I liked best though. I'll report more when that stuff comes!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »

Hi @Fresh Bread, you dispose of them. They are very thin double edged blades (100% metal) but I don't think they are sharpen-able. I don't really think there is a way to recycle them as that would be dangerous, but when you think about it, the disposable blades have metal in them also and are not recyclable either. You can dispose of them in a sharps bin, if one is available somewhere nearby, but I usually save them up in an old plastic container until I have a whole bunch and tape them in some cardboard or something and throw that away. You don't want someone getting cut by them. I also use them for longer than you are "supposed" to, so they last a while.

(Straight blades are sharpen-able, those are the razors you see in old-timey movies (and some people still do use them today, some people say they are the best!), but I don't think you can use them on legs and armpits. Also they are crazy sharp, I would be a little afraid!)

I ended up ordering a new Merkur after all this talk! And a variety pack of blades to see what I like. From when I had the metal safety razor last time, there definitely are differences in the brands of blades. I don't remember what I liked best though. I'll report more when that stuff comes!

Straight blades and underarms definitely would not mix. Thanks for the tips.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
DAY 13,14,15 RESULTS!

I avoided plastic by:
- shopping at the local packaging free co-op (finally!) using my own containers
- buying pasta in a box, although it does have a tiny tiny plastic window so you can see the shape.
- buying yoghurt in a jar - normally very, very expensive but I got lucky*

The co-op was good, but the range is quite limited so it's not somewhere you can buy everything and the prices are literally double the supermarket. They were out of black tea and they don't sell plain old white vinegar for cleaning or any milk powders. I forgot sultanas possibly because they don't stock them but I'm not 100%. The good news is that they may be getting some packaging free cheese in stock soon so I'd go back just for that.

The thing about buying boxed items like pasta is, you never know if they went with a plastic bag inside or not. It is trial and error I think finding the right products.

Plastic that sneaked in:
- Hubby is buying treats for at work in plastic still, like hot cross buns. I can't see him baking at the weekends and I don't really want to do it myself on top of all the from-scratch cooking and extra shopping :( He is keen to make other tasks 'his thing' though, like making up the milk powder.
- I bought 2 litres of vinegar for cleaning & weedkiller
- I bought another 3 litre milk - well, it was heavily discounted.
- one bread loaf in plastic*

* I downloaded an app that helps businesses offload their food waste at the end of the day, to avoid putting in the bin. The customer gets a huge discount on the food but you have to collect it in a specific time window (normally an hour just before they close). I collected a big box of organic groceries for just $10 this week, and the value of it is well over $20. There was yoghurt, bread, fruit and veg, and the only thing in plastic is the bread (sprouted wheat, it's a first for us!) I'm thinking of stopping by a bakery that's on the app today that I know avoids plastic bags if I have time, but I've got limited freezer space.

Also on my to-do list is to visit another packaging free store to get sultanas and coconut milk powder. And then on to the plastic free butchers. Just so many places. Tonight for dinner is plastic free tom ka gai - chicken, coconut milk, veggies, ginger, lemongrass (from the garden!), lime juice, fish sauce (ok, the bottle has a plastic cap but I nearly made it!).

ETA: I made it to the butchers and the packaging free shop but not the bakers. The packaging free shop  (The Source) did not have milk powder. Apparently it's on order. Boo. I'm really going to have to make some oat milk....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:31:49 PM by Fresh Bread »

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/world/europe/lent-plastic-church-of-england.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Awesome news! BBC itself will stop using single plastic use by 2020: https://futurism.com/plastic-ban-bbc-blue-planet-ii/

I've been doing research on sustainable toothbrushes. I might try Brush with Bamboo and see how it is. I'd like a one-time purchase though and indiegogo has some interesting projects. What do people think of the Amabrush or Be.?

https://www.indiegogo.com/explore/all?project_type=all&project_timing=all&sort=trending&q=toothbrush

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/world/europe/lent-plastic-church-of-england.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Awesome!

BBC itself will stop using single plastic use by 2020: https://futurism.com/plastic-ban-bbc-blue-planet-ii/

I've been doing research on sustainable toothbrushes. I might try Brush with Bamboo and see how it is. I'd like a one-time purchase though and indiegogo has some interesting projects. What do people think of the Amabrush or Be.?

https://www.indiegogo.com/explore/all?project_type=all&project_timing=all&sort=trending&q=toothbrush

I had a look at Brush with Bamboo. I don't know why they need that annoying bit of corn starch packaging but I like how they have reuse ideas for the handle! Yep it would be good to buy something just once, I will look at those ones later.

I don't wear out bristles very quickly so maybe I should just boil my toothbrush for 10 mins every couple of months and keep it much longer.. Hubby gets through one in a month! (I have no idea what he's doing and his dentist has told him to go easy.)

Some people gargle with oil instead of brushing, I think someone mentions it upthread. That's a big leap tho. Maybe gargling but then eating an apple would work. I met someone once that ate an apple every morning instead of brushing.

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »
There's also the Environmental Toothbrush: https://environmentaltoothbrush.com.au/

Shipping cost would be high for me though since I'm in the states. Seems to be same quality as Brush with Bamboo. If you do find a one-time purchase let us know :-)

luciep

« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2018, 05:51:20 PM »
They have some wooden toothbrushes on the Life Without Plastic website https://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/brush-with-bamboo-adult-toothbrush.html as well.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »
Freshie, there's also Toothcrush which is a subscription service for bamboo toothbrushes in Aus.

luciep

« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:51 AM »
We went to Olive Garden last week (not my place of choice, but we were invited to a birthday party over there). We asked for no straws for everybody. But the birthday girl "needed" a straw for her chocolate milk (which had a lid) and her mom "needed" a straw as well to drink her diet coke. The waiter ended up bringing straws for everybody and throwing the extra ones in the trash. At least I tried...

A few days later, we had dinner at our favorite place (we eat there at least once a month). When I asked the lady for a water with no straw, she laughed. I wonder what was funny about that. But hopefully I started a new trend...

I showed the birthday girl a video of the turtle that had a straw stuck in a her nose. She was impressed. I hope she will start asking for "no straw" every time she eats out. We shall see.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
Good work Luciep! Being the change and showing people that it's possible to be different to what's been the norm is really important. I think gradually it will sink in.

And Aerynlee! Yeah, I don't recall anyone ever dying from dehydration at the movies. It's probably just habit that we feel we need something to drink and snack on.

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE!

I can't remember where I got up to.. We both had a busy and tiring Saturday so I ordered UberEats for dinner. I chose I place that I know packages the food in a paper box. They've switched to recycled so that's cool.

I've continued to buy 3 litre bottles of milk in plastic but we are supplementing that with milk powder and milk in glass bottles so the number of bottles coming through is much lower. I haven't bought any non-dairy milks in tetra-pak cartons. None of the three packaging free shops in my area have milk powder but one has it on order but I have still not attempted to make my own non-dairy milk....!

I got another food waste box last night. Again there was one item in plastic so not too bad. It wasn't as good a haul as the previous one but ok. I'm trying to get to the bakers on the same app today.

The last news is that I've ordered a few more non-plastic things online. Being no plastic is not necessarily frugal! I'm trying a glass jar deodorant, hubby's getting a bamboo toothbrush and bamboo cotton buds. I've also ordered a variety of reusable menstrual things to try to go with the cloth pads.

I've also ordered a bread bag to shop & store no-plastic bread. It's obviously something I could have done without but it's made of recycled plastic so I've closed the loop a bit. Our largest chain of bakers (Baker's Delight) is no longer allowing people to use their own bags!! But they do have large paper bags if you ask.

I just went and bought a toothpaste in plastic because I couldn't find an easy alternative and there's too much going on right now to ask enough questions and get answers before we run out. Eg I'm keen to try a powder but need to find one in glass.

Attached is a pic of my plastics bin on bin day. It's normally at least 3/4 full and it's only a 1/4 full. Whoo!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
Yay Freshie! That's awesome!

Milk - you've probably already looked into this, but cashew milk doesn't need to be strained, so that's a bit easier than almond milk if you're feeling overwhelmed.

I can't believe Baker's Delight doesn't allow you to use your own bag. Do they not understand that everything is moving in that direction now?!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
Yay Freshie! That's awesome!

Milk - you've probably already looked into this, but cashew milk doesn't need to be strained, so that's a bit easier than almond milk if you're feeling overwhelmed.

I can't believe Baker's Delight doesn't allow you to use your own bag. Do they not understand that everything is moving in that direction now?!

I think technically if you keep your bag on your side of the counter and they hand you the bread it could be ok but people who get their bread sliced are struggling. It's to do with contamination risks but that's just a load of crap, there's pigeons and sparrows flying through most shopping centres ffs. It couldn't possibly be gluten / gluten free contamination risks as they don't even sell GF do they? I think they could redeem themselves by switching from plastic bags to only paper but that's a big cost increase for them.

Plastic is something I can't unsee now. Plus I am quietly judging people who have plastic bags now, I can't help myself. In fact, I already did but now it's worse.

ETA: I do have a few cashews left so maybe I can blend them up tonight.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:42:29 PM by Fresh Bread »

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
I don't know if they are available in your area, but I've used sea sponges instead of tampons. I absolutely loved them. On really heavy or unpredictable days I also used a cloth pad as a backup but found the sponges to be perfect for my body.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
I don't know if they are available in your area, but I've used sea sponges instead of tampons. I absolutely loved them. On really heavy or unpredictable days I also used a cloth pad as a backup but found the sponges to be perfect for my body.

Interesting! I actually have a bit of a irrational phobia about plastic being dirty so I don't like putting it in my mouth or anywhere else! I will investigate but I'm assuming it's a fairly messy experience?

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »
The first few times, yes, definitely more messy than disposable items. Once I got used to them I found them less messy to handle than tampons as far as insertion/removal. The package insert suggested threading a piece of dental floss through for people who wanted a string for removal. I can't remember if I tried that - I pretty quickly got the hang of when and how to remove them so they weren't overly saturated.

Cleaning them was weird the first few times - I'd never used a reusable product before that. But within a couple of cycles it felt normal. My body physically felt SO much better using these than any disposable product I'd ever tried, I think I would've still used them even if the cleaning process bothered me.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:59 PM »
And how do you clean them?

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
Sooooo it's been years since I've had a period (chemically stopped due to debilitating pain and fatigue) and it looks like sea sponges are no longer able to be sold for that use due to not being able to control potential health risks. Which makes sense being as they are a formerly living organism with a bunch of pores for bacteria/yeast/fungus to hang out in.

During the day I just rinsed them in tap water, then at night soaked in a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution and boiled them in distilled water.

I always had moderate to severe internal irritation from traditional tampons, even the organic cotton types, and never had even mild dryness or itching from the sea sponges. The company I bought mine from farmed them in a lab setting so I felt just fine as far as safety - it looks like they no longer exist, at least not under the same name.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »
This isn't plastic free, but for people who want to do hair removal and can't/don't want to do waxing, sugaring etc, I have found razors made from recycled plastic. The company will recycle them for you if you post them back, too!

Recycled plastic razors.

That site has a lot of great stuff - think we'll be ordering some household items I had been holding back on due to indecision around plastic options.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
This isn't plastic free, but for people who want to do hair removal and can't/don't want to do waxing, sugaring etc, I have found razors made from recycled plastic. The company will recycle them for you if you post them back, too!

Recycled plastic razors.

That site has a lot of great stuff - think we'll be ordering some household items I had been holding back on due to indecision around plastic options.

That is a great idea! All my other stuff is from the site. I wish there was an Aussie company doing what Preserve do. Makes me want to start one.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »

No, she let the reusable bag dry in her hand and put it right in the pocket of her vest. She said it was surprisingly dry.

Instead of bags I use these: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/46956800/
You can empty them in the compost or trash and without no plastic.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
Razor and blades arrived, some pics attached if you're interest.

With these razors you unscrew the handle, separate the 2 pieces that are the head, place the blade in between, put the 2 pieces of the head back together and then screw the handle back on. Really simple. Last pic the poorly drawn yellow arrow is pointing to the edge of the blade just peeking out from the head. You use both sides with this type of razor.

I bought a "variety pack" of blades to see which I liked best (someone is making a killing!), because they definitely differ. The papers protecting each blade I think are coated with a kind of wax, presumably to protect it from rusting or whatnot. Better than all the plastic of a normal safety razor I suppose, even the kind with just the disposable head.

With these types of razors it is important to make sure they don't sit in water. The razor itself will be fine but the blade will rust if given long enough. (I suppose that might be true with any razor?)

I haven't used it yet but weight and size is really nice. The last time I had this type of razor it worked really well and I liked it a lot.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics!

There's only a few days left of the challenge and hubby has already intimated he will be buying frozen mash in a bag when the month is out! Since I do most of the shopping, hopefully I can hold off as long as possible!

I really hope we can stick to some things. I'm going to come up with a list of hopefully permanent changes that have been made, plus maybe a list of work in progress (cough*nut milk*cough).

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
I've been using the Merkur Safety Razor for 3 years now. It's really nice! The only thing is the shaving soap I use comes in a plastic bowl (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C8A2NHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Has anyone found an alternative to shaving soap suitable for safety razors that comes in non-plastic container?

Last week I ordered a 24-pack of toilet paper that comes in cardboard box for $20. The store bought always comes in a plastic wrap and buying individual toilet paper is expensive. I ordered from here: https://us.whogivesacrap.org/products/100-recycled-toilet-paper-jumbo-rolls
If anyone wants $10 credit to their order here's my referral (i'll receive a $10 credit too): https://www.talkable.com/x/hn3LkJ

Taiwan becomes latest city to set a timeline for plastic elimination: https://www.ecowatch.com/taiwan-plastics-ban-2535001646.html

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2018, 09:57:36 PM »
I've been using the Merkur Safety Razor for 3 years now. It's really nice! The only thing is the shaving soap I use comes in a plastic bowl (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C8A2NHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Has anyone found an alternative to shaving soap suitable for safety razors that comes in non-plastic container?

Last week I ordered a 24-pack of toilet paper that comes in cardboard box for $20. The store bought always comes in a plastic wrap and buying individual toilet paper is expensive. I ordered from here: https://us.whogivesacrap.org/products/100-recycled-toilet-paper-jumbo-rolls
If anyone wants $10 credit to their order here's my referral (i'll receive a $10 credit too): https://www.talkable.com/x/hn3LkJ

Taiwan becomes latest city to set a timeline for plastic elimination: https://www.ecowatch.com/taiwan-plastics-ban-2535001646.html

I don't know if it's suitable for the safety razor but I use hair conditioner for shaving. I haven't bought a conditioner bar yet (I'm still using a v big bottle) but I assume I'd be able to use it just as well.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »

I don't know if it's suitable for the safety razor but I use hair conditioner for shaving. I haven't bought a conditioner bar yet (I'm still using a v big bottle) but I assume I'd be able to use it just as well.

I do sometimes use shaving cream if my parents visit and my father leaves some, but I also use just bar soap. Actual soap, not the stuff you get at the supermarket produced by big corporations. I buy goat milk soap, sometimes from a goat rescue place and sometimes from the farmer's market. It's generally unpackaged except for a paper sleeve (maybe secured with tape). One of these days I'll get around to learning how to make it myself...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:46 PM »
February wrap up

Well I'm glad I chose the shortest month for a challenge. The hardest bit has been making extra time to visit about 5 shops (all in different locations/ shopping centres) instead of one - not just for bulk foods, butcher, baker etc but when you think you're going to be able to get something plastic free and can't. For example, I've run out of paracetamol so I'd decided I would buy the bottle in preference to a blister pack... the bottles were sold out at the supermarket, so I have to wait or go somewhere else. That seems to happen a lot with all different items. What's hard is not giving in and buying the plastic wrapped thing that *is* available right then and there, but I really mustn't if I want to send a message to retailers. Cooking more from scratch hasn't been that bad as it's only an extra ten mins to chop a few veg once you have them in the house, for example and the bread maker, yoghurt etc are v quick once you're in the routine. Setting reminders and doing a meal plan will be key to keeping this up. I find the extra time washing the reusable things a bit of a pain right now but I will get used to it.

Our plastic container recycling is greatly reduced as is our soft plastic recycling - it's probably about half but we are still emptying packets from pre-February. Our glass recycling hasn't really gone up because jars and bottles are are so handy and reusable.

I haven't been properly recording the dollar impact. I've spent about $200 on reusable things, and I have more to spend on decent reusable containers for the freezer i.e. oblong shaped plastic and pyrex tubs. I'm on the hunt for freebies and cheap second hand things, but trips to the op shop are just an extra trip I can't face right now!!

Here's some changes that I've made that I can see sticking:
- Being totally religious about not accepting plastic bags at the shops. e.g. today for some reason I only brought one reusable bag with me when I knew I needed to do a 'proper shop'. I asked the checkout girl to just give me the big things to put in the trolley instead of using a plastic bag.
- Using deodorant in glass containers / or bicarb / or none.
- Avoiding face wash in plastic containers by just using water and face cloths instead. Instead of shower gel I use bar soap.
- I've bought a few reusable cloth pads and ModiBodi all-in-one pants (not tried the latter yet). Between those two I think I should be ok although I find the cloth pads slip out of place and so aren't really suitable for all situations.
- Bamboo cotton buds and toothbrushes - well, we can afford them so why not. I've given up using cotton buds but hubby won't so this is a good solution.
- Choosing cordials, mixers, spreads & sauces in the glass bottle/ jar option. And there pretty much always is one in a larger supermarket. They are more expensive but glass is more costly to transport. It is infinitely recyclable tho so it wins.
- Making bread or buying it in a paper bag from a baker. There seem to be bakers on nearly every street corner so this is not hard.
- Buying meat from a plastic free butcher.

Things I can do sometimes to cut down a bit on plastic:
- Making nut milk - ok, I've made cashew nut milk once but it might be viable to do this once a week to replace the stuff I was buying in containers for our breakfast oats. It wasn't suitable for coffee.
- Using real potato and fresh veg instead of frozen mash and frozen veg. I think we are still going to have frozen peas in bags and probably a bag of that mash for total no spoons emergencies that happen about once a month.
- Buying a bit of dairy in glass - yoghurt, feta, milk are all things that can be bought in glass. They cost considerably more than the plastic packaged versions so these will be a sometimes purchase! I can make yoghurt from milk powder but there seems to be a bit of a shortage of supply for packaging free powder!
- I haven't bought any chocolate, drinks, cereal bars in February but it would be realistic to say I won't be buying any ever! I was given some chocolate and sweets for a gift, I haven't been a saint :)

Things that I'm just going to keep buying in plastic:
- Shampoo & conditioner - I've got one I like (difficult hair!), it's cheap and I only use a tiny bit from a big bottle.
- Toothpaste - it's in the too hard, too weird basket for now. Maybe this will change.
- Most of our milk - I'm going to try to only buy 3L bottles which should slightly reduce the plastic and we should be able to get to a point where it's just for coffee and making cheese & yoghurt.
- Block cheese, soft cheese except feta. I'll just buy the biggest possible pack.
- Cleaning vinegar, Jif, possibly washing detergent, but again, I'll buy the most massive bottles I can.

We didn't do any entertaining this month so we avoided that test but I have made a few snacky things this month with pretty low effort e.g. kale crisps, things for dipping, dips, which could become standards.

On the to-do list:
- Will get a reusable razor when my disposables run out.
- Will try more dairy alternatives with the hope that I can adapt to making a few more things from scratch with bulk bought cashews etc. Although that also raises the problem of finding an ethical source...
- Probably a million other things that just didn't happen to run out this month so I have not even thought about them!

I've probably forgotten heaps and will come back and edit this.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2018, 01:24:45 AM »
I had been pondering the entertaining thing myself, because I always use half a packet of crackers and the other half languishes in the pantry. But it's occurred to me that I could make focaccia, Turkish bread or even damper (damper is appealing because it can be made completely in the breadmaker; it's hard to use the oven during the day with a baby around) and those all go well with homemade dips and/or cheese.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »
So Plastic Free July is a thing here, I wonder if it's an international thing? Regardless, I might make a plastic-free gauntlet for July if anyone is keen? I have certainly not kept up everything I did in Feb so could do with a reboot.

Time has been the biggest issue, in that I've lapsed back to buying most things at the supermarket instead of visiting about 6 shops to buy everything I need with minimal packaging.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
Would you be interested in people doing "minimising plastic to a new low level" as well as "no plastic"? Because I would commit to the former. Either way, I would enthusiastically cheer you on :D

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »
Would you be interested in people doing "minimising plastic to a new low level" as well as "no plastic"? Because I would commit to the former. Either way, I would enthusiastically cheer you on :D

To be honest, I think the plastic free July campaign may have started out as or is pitched to the majority as ditching the plastic shopping bags. So minimising plastic is fine! I don't think I can totally do plastic-free without some cheats, eg buying a 1kg block of cheese in June & putting off some purchases til August. And I'll be using all my existing reusable plastic of course. 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for buying small amounts of bulk spices?  Our Sprouts has a bulk spice and herb section (which is awesome!), but I don't have any bags that are small enough / well enough sealed for spices, and all they provide are plastic ziplocks. 

I can ask if they'd tare some containers for me at the front before I fill up, but if that fails, does anyone have recommendations for smaller reusable bags for powdery things?

dashuk

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »
Interesting thread. Partly posting to follow and have a proper reread when I'm on a proper sized screen.

The menstrual stuff is going to take about a year to pay for itself and that's assuming it all works. But it will create a whole lot less waste. And will the soapnuts struggle to clean them??

We've been using an 'Eco Egg' - https://www.ecoegg.com/product/laundry-egg/ - for a while now. OH has just bought some cloth pads, although not tried yet - but it's been dealing perfectly well with cloth nappies/wipes so don't expect issues.

Don't know what the refills come packaged in, but it's a very rare purchase even if plastic.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »
Linda your yoghurt sounds like the bomb. I have an induction stovetop too but milk is a hard thing to control on it. Did you say you used a low low temp, is that the trick?

I use an Easi-Yo thermos thing. You put yoghurt and milk in, hot water in the thermos part and leave for 8 hrs. The milk should be UHT or boiled but I'm going to be trying milk powder. I assume that is totally pasteurised on account of how it's processed & dry.

I took a pic of my plastics recycling. The hard stuff is a mix of glass, plastic and metal but is just a week's worth! The soft plastics for redcycle, I don't know, maybe it's 3 week's worth. Anyway, it's too much! I will start a new bag today and we'll see how we go.

Where can I buy an Easi-Yo thermos? I am in USA and this seems to be a UK product. I also looked on ebay and can't find it. Anyone have a link to purchasing this product?