Author Topic: Planting/Growing Your Own in 2016  (Read 172367 times)

Knitwit

• Stubble
Re: Planting/Growing Your Own in 2016
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2016, 06:14:13 AM »
I'm growing hot peppers this summer as my #1 goal on my balcony in containers and I have a question - since starts for the weird a** type of peppers I want to grow are not available at stores, I need to sow from seed/make my own starts. But I also live in a one-bedroom apartment with one window and a cat who likes to investigate everything.

Can I start peppers from seeds by making little greenhouses by wrapping grow-packs in cling wrap to keep them warm/keep the kitten out? It's totally nuts to try to start them outside in containers, right? We won't frost again here but it's still hovering between 45-55 most days and can get down to 35 overnight if it's really cold.

I'd say that your grow-pack plan would work. Starting them outside would likely not work because pepper seeds need it pretty warm to germinate (like 75 degrees or warmer).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2016, 08:47:34 AM »
I'm growing hot peppers this summer as my #1 goal on my balcony in containers and I have a question - since starts for the weird a** type of peppers I want to grow are not available at stores, I need to sow from seed/make my own starts. But I also live in a one-bedroom apartment with one window and a cat who likes to investigate everything.

Can I start peppers from seeds by making little greenhouses by wrapping grow-packs in cling wrap to keep them warm/keep the kitten out? It's totally nuts to try to start them outside in containers, right? We won't frost again here but it's still hovering between 45-55 most days and can get down to 35 overnight if it's really cold.

I'd say that your grow-pack plan would work. Starting them outside would likely not work because pepper seeds need it pretty warm to germinate (like 75 degrees or warmer).
And if your apartment is cool, put the whole thing in the oven with the oven light on - safe from the kitty, and warmer.  Just remember to take it out before you turn the oven on!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
Some creature dug a big old hole in the wheelbarrow I'm using for a raised bed, putting quite the dent in my spinach crop. Given that the wheelbarrow is in the atrium and thus guarded by our dogs, my prime suspects are our own cats. Cats have no respect for spinach.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »
Some creature dug a big old hole in the wheelbarrow I'm using for a raised bed, putting quite the dent in my spinach crop. Given that the wheelbarrow is in the atrium and thus guarded by our dogs, my prime suspects are our own cats. Cats have no respect for spinach.

Sounds like mine and our cherry tomatoes. And the Christmas tree. And the peace lily she killed ...

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
This should also be over on the "clearing out the clutter" thread.  I planted a whole bunch of old seeds.  Old cucumber seeds, old pepper seeds, really old tomato seeds and I have sprouts!!!   I'm going to plant them in totes (kind of a square foot garden thing) made into Sub-Irrigated planters.  The totes used to hold stuff, which I've cleaned out.  And I'm reusing some potting soil left over from last spring.   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »
This should also be over on the "clearing out the clutter" thread.  I planted a whole bunch of old seeds.  Old cucumber seeds, old pepper seeds, really old tomato seeds and I have sprouts!!!   I'm going to plant them in totes (kind of a square foot garden thing) made into Sub-Irrigated planters.  The totes used to hold stuff, which I've cleaned out.  And I'm reusing some potting soil left over from last spring.
Way to go!  I did the same thing, gathered all my old seeds, and decided what to plant this year.  No new seeds.  If it doesn't germinate, I'll chuck what's left of the package. 

At this point I have all my peppers, broccoli and tomatoes started.  My temporary plant stand (for spring starts) is set up in the laundry room.  The weather outside sucks, but the gardening keeps me sane and hopeful that eventually I will not need full winter gear to get to the end of my driveway.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
re fertilizer, lots of things will work. One I have used a lot is milk. If indoors, just us a little bit diluted with half water. Too much milk indoors will rot and smell bad, so go easy. If you add too much so that some runs out the bottom of the pot, make sure you empty the base so it doesn't pool there and spoil. Unless you have lots of plants, this is also cheap for a few indoor plants.
Coffee grounds also work well, lots of nitrogen, but it's a bit acidic so some plants may not flourish if they don't like acid soils. Just spoon the grounds around the base of the plants.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2016, 05:23:49 AM »
I've been very busy in the garden. If people are curious how my setup is coming together for this year there are a lot of pictures:

https://thegoblinchief.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/homestead-diary-week-of-march-25th-2016/

--

Question: I can't recall the frost tolerance for broccoli seedlings and there's not a lot of information online for seedlings specifically. I know mature plants are pretty damn hardy. My trays are to the first true leaf stage but I don't yet have any material to make protection for them. Debating how early to transplant or whether I should go ahead and up pot.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
Wow GC, just read your blog.  You're really going for it and using every inch of space.  Can't wait to see some pics when everything is growing in a few months!

I'm planning to get some peas and root vegetable seeds in the ground this weekend.  Thursday afternoon I got all my peppers and tomatoes potted up.  All the real estate under my 4' and 2' lights is taken up, and the tomatoes will need to be potted up again, so I'm trying to decide if I want to splash out on another 4' fixture.  It's been a fairly warm spring, so I might just try to keep the tomatoes out in the greenhouse once they graduate to gallon pots - I can always put a heater out there or cart them indoors if we get a few cold nights.

Right now I've got some lettuces, Chinese cabbage and radicchio planted outside, and some beets and spinach in the greenhouse bed.  Need to set up some bird netting so I can put the kale and collards out without having them instantly devoured.

Garlic is coming up, and I'm waiting on potatoes.  Fall planting the spuds is a new experiment, but the last few years I've enjoyed potatoes from the ones that apparently escaped the previous year's harvest and overwintered underground, so don't see why it won't work to plant them more deliberately in the fall.

I really need a homesteading week too.  I had one scheduled for the first week of April, but work is getting in the way.  Hoping I can at least have a couple long weekends to get on top of things.  Feeling like I'm already a little behind with some of the direct-sowing, but I've been a wimp when it comes to going out in the nasty wind we've been having.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »
You reminded me to put carrots on my to do list! We're probably close to good pea planting time too.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2016, 03:26:59 PM »
Had a big day on our allotment today. 2 of us attacking a 40x30ft plot. Only our second year so hoping for great things. Using this weekend to put up our greenhouse. Hopefully get some chilis and tomatoes this year.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »
Just read that my area is going to have a "polar vortex" in early April. Temps 20 below normal. (and our normal is 50-ish, so...)

*cry* I just want to put things in the ground!! I really hate living here sometimes. The space under my grow light is getting very crowded.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2016, 10:12:20 AM »
Just read that my area is going to have a "polar vortex" in early April. Temps 20 below normal. (and our normal is 50-ish, so...)

*cry* I just want to put things in the ground!! I really hate living here sometimes. The space under my grow light is getting very crowded.

Yeah, we're going to get a low of 18F one night this coming week. Eek! Seeing that has kept me from transplanting out any broccoli. I'll have to up-pot them instead. Oh well, I planted my peas and carrots anyway. Seeds are cheap if I need to replant (have plenty extra of both), but I'm going to go by the "as soon as soil can be worked" guideline.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2016, 12:55:55 PM »
We are warmer all week, to 14C on Thursday, then back down again, -4 on Sunday and - 3 on Monday, which means nights at about -10.  Nothing is going outside yet.  And my winter tires are not getting changed for all seasons yet.  The warm weather does mean I can do prep outside though.  I need to give the garage a thorough going over, it is full of DD's stuff from her move, and Ex-Dh's stuff from getting the other house decluttered ready for staging.  I think I am safe getting the snow-blower ready for summer storage and the lawn tractor ready for summer use.  Yes I have a lot of equipment, that is country life here.  You should see what some of my neighbours have, I love the Kubota with front bucket my next-door neighbour has. It is on my "buy when I win the lottery if I ever actually buy a lottery ticket" list.

Indoor planting is humming along, I have a few more tomato seeds I hope will sprout (almost all are planned as give-aways at this point).  The broccoli are almost all up. It is almost time to start planting flowers - most have shorter lead times than the vegetables, so I like to stagger the planting dates.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2016, 06:28:06 PM »
Weeding ate most of the day today.  The warm February really kickstarted weeds in our xeriscaped front yard.

Did get radishes, lettuce, spinach, peas and carrots planted outside though, and put in 10 new asparagus crowns.

Got the area cleaned out around the hops, and need to prioritize putting up a trellis for them next weekend since they're already about a foot tall.  The plan is to have them shade much of the south wall of our house and hopefully have some cooling effect.  Last year I didn't trellis them properly, and they fell over mid-summer when they got too heavy.  Trying to decide if I want to use the area in front of them for okra and eggplant, or just stick with ornamentals in that bed.  I moved two large clematis over in between the three hops, so they'll be sharing the trellis, which should be pretty and hopefully not a total viney nightmare.

It was nice getting out in the yard and seeing what is happening.  The cherry tree is about two days away from blooming and the apples are starting to break bud.  Loads of California poppies are coming up where I apparently dumped an entire packet of seed or something.  Lots of perennials to divide and move.  And of course, more weeds to pull, burn or poison.  The whitetop is coming in from the neighbor's yard with a vengeance again, and unfortunately it isn't deterred by yanking it out.

Really hoping I can take this Thursday and Friday off to really get in there and get stuff done while the timing is right.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »
So.

I was just asking my coworker about using dredged material (we have an abundance b/c of my job)- but he said- eh- you probably don't want it.

But said- you know you can go to the land use/reclamation center and get some right? It's usually free.  And I called up- and yes indeed- it is free... it's not ready yet- but I just need to go rent a truck and bring it back!!! WOOT WOOT

I have high hopes for being productive this summer!

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2016, 10:25:24 AM »
Built a compost box. Pulled weeds and trimmed some last year's dry plants that require it. Tired of bringing my seedlings inside from 3-season porch every evening because we still expect 27 degrees this week. Can we have warm weather already? Global warming you say?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »
So.

I was just asking my coworker about using dredged material (we have an abundance b/c of my job)- but he said- eh- you probably don't want it.

But said- you know you can go to the land use/reclamation center and get some right? It's usually free.  And I called up- and yes indeed- it is free... it's not ready yet- but I just need to go rent a truck and bring it back!!! WOOT WOOT

What kind of dredged material? From a lake or river? Be wary of what might have contaminated it. This has been discussed in detail on some of my ag groups and most people were very not in favor.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
So.

What kind of dredged material? From a lake or river? Be wary of what might have contaminated it. This has been discussed in detail on some of my ag groups and most people were very not in favor.

we don't dredge lakes. 
And no- it's not contaminated- I don't live near NY harbor.  coworker said- well it would probably work for sub base (I need to build up a base) and then get some top soil on top. It's perfectly acceptable for none structural fill.

Our materiel isn't contaminated and it's rare that anything we test for is outside local limits of existing chemicals.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »
I'm a little behind the rest of the group, but my first little sprout (a lettuce) popped up this morning!  I said hello and promised to get him under the light this afternoon.  It's going to be a couple months before anything goes in the ground, so he may spend his entire life inside...I may not be able to stop myself from eating some baby lettuce salad before Memorial Day. 

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2016, 01:18:11 AM »
I need some help!  It's a cherry emergency!!!

I ordered a bare root cherry last week to replace one that I killed  died last year.  The website said that the shipping for zone 3-4 was late April.  The cherry grower emailed to see when I wanted it on thursday morning at 7a...then shipped it at 8a!  It arrived today.  I don't know what to do with it.  Our ground isn't diggable and the spot where I want to put it is covered in 3in of ice.  I am full of swear words right now. 

Does anyone know what I should do with it to ensure it survives the next 3-4 weeks, maybe longer?!?  I could, keep it outside and in the box hoping the coldish weather and dark keep it dormant...or take it out of the box and into some potting soil in a bucket...or I could conceivably use some sort of warming device like a torch to melt enough ground to stick it in and then let it freeze into place? 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2016, 04:33:49 AM »
Look up "heeling in" to double check me, but basically plant it in a pot with moist soil and keep in a sheltered spot like the garage is the best thing IIRC.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2016, 07:14:32 AM »
I would do as the Goblin Chief, Allie. 

Here Spring has sprung.  My Apple trees have put on their first leaves and, made bold by the moderate temperatures, I put my 1st planting into the garden.  Last year my garden flopped, so I made lots of changes this year.  Of course this year I envision success, but however it turns out, working in it is still my greatest source of summer happiness.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:24:39 AM by Mikila »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2016, 07:32:29 AM »
I've been very busy in the garden. If people are curious how my setup is coming together for this year there are a lot of pictures:

https://thegoblinchief.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/homestead-diary-week-of-march-25th-2016/

--

Question: I can't recall the frost tolerance for broccoli seedlings and there's not a lot of information online for seedlings specifically. I know mature plants are pretty damn hardy. My trays are to the first true leaf stage but I don't yet have any material to make protection for them. Debating how early to transplant or whether I should go ahead and up pot.

Your gardening is such an inspiration to me (though I live in an apartment so it's a bit rough, I don't think the property managers would like me tearing up our shared spaces :).

Someday we will have a place for this sort of thing!

Also are you worried at all about salt from the winter contaminating your beds near the road?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:34:26 AM by ender »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »
Ender - our streets aren't very busy so they don't get salted heavily or see lots of salt spray thrown up by the cars.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
Hi wintertell

You don't say where you are, but mention frost, so I am assuming not deep south.  I am coming from a cold climate perspective, so adjust anything I say according to your growing conditions.

Re your beds, for your tomato bed you could have the 4 tomatoes in a row along the north side, and then the basil (and other smaller plants) in front of them.  This assumes they are all trellised/tied up tomato varieties - do you want tomatoes gradually or all at once?  Determinate (in a cage) tend to be all at once, the indeterminate are a bit slower to get going but produce over a longer season.  What you choose depends on what you want, neither is "better".  Anyway, you can actually have the tall tomatoes in just as small a space as the bush ones, you just have to keep them to one or at most 2 stems as you tie them up.  Of course that means eternal vigilance, they will send out suckers if you give them any kind of a chance.  The basil likes lots of sun (at least here) so it is better in front than buried in between plants.  If you are in a super hot area the basil will need a lot of water if it is in full sun.

Re seed sources - I am starting to shift to organic seeds, because this rationale makes sense to me (http://highmowingseeds.com/why-buy-organic-seeds.html). 

The big seed companies try to carry varieties that will do well over a wide range of growing conditions.  That works for lots of gardeners.  If you have unusual growing conditions, then local seed houses may carry seeds that will work better for you.  I am in south-eastern Ontario, so I look at days to maturity very carefully.  I would rather have a plant with a slightly lower yield than one that is wonderful, but is dead from frost too soon.  If I were in Texas my growing criteria would be totally different.  But you can be fine with the big seed companies, just be careful about your choice of variety.

Happy gardening!

Thanks Retiredat63! I am outside of DC - so in the Midatlantic region.  I know I want Roma (bush) and that I will want at least 1 indeterminate kind. I am undecided as to the other 1 or 2 tomato plants.  I can also put Basil in the herb garden and just make that entire 2x4 area tomatoes.

Hey Wintertell, I'm in Fairfax and have a plethora of of heirloom tomato and basil plants if you want some!

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2016, 07:48:19 AM »
Feeling pretty grumpy this morning. Earlier this week, it was 13C and spring was in the air. Yesterday, it snowed 5cm and now it's -13C. Another 5cm of snow is in the forecast before the end of the weekend. Why do I live here again?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »
Feeling pretty grumpy this morning. Earlier this week, it was 13C and spring was in the air. Yesterday, it snowed 5cm and now it's -13C. Another 5cm of snow is in the forecast before the end of the weekend. Why do I live here again?
We are heading for -3 and then wet snow. Guess why I want to move to BC?
On a happier note, my peppers, tomatoes, and broccoli seedlings are happy, my coleus seeds are sprouting, and my sweet potato slips are showing roots. So the indoor prep is going well.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
We also had a burst of sunny warmth followed by a cooler day today.  It hit the mid 50sf this last week!  If that doesn't convince you climate change is real and we are all going to be swamped by rising seas, I dont know what will. 

I'm hoping to get a planter thawed and the cherry heeled in before it starts to realize winters almost over!  Until then, I'm tending to little lettuces, tomatoes, and peppers.  Their first true leaves are starting to develop.  So exciting!

My son had his birthday at Chuck e cheese today (don't judge me!).  The token holder cups are the perfect size for planting and even have holes in the bottom.  I wandered around like a crazy lady snagging old cups.  It seemed like a huge waste to let anyone toss them when I have peas to start.

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2016, 06:19:38 PM »
This year I'm going to grow a huge herb garden.  I figure I will start there and learn all about herbs and then next year start the vegetables.  I can't believe how many types of mint there are: apple mint, lime mint, chocolate mint and strawberry mint. 

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »
Hi wintertell

You don't say where you are, but mention frost, so I am assuming not deep south.  I am coming from a cold climate perspective, so adjust anything I say according to your growing conditions.

Re your beds, for your tomato bed you could have the 4 tomatoes in a row along the north side, and then the basil (and other smaller plants) in front of them.  This assumes they are all trellised/tied up tomato varieties - do you want tomatoes gradually or all at once?  Determinate (in a cage) tend to be all at once, the indeterminate are a bit slower to get going but produce over a longer season.  What you choose depends on what you want, neither is "better".  Anyway, you can actually have the tall tomatoes in just as small a space as the bush ones, you just have to keep them to one or at most 2 stems as you tie them up.  Of course that means eternal vigilance, they will send out suckers if you give them any kind of a chance.  The basil likes lots of sun (at least here) so it is better in front than buried in between plants.  If you are in a super hot area the basil will need a lot of water if it is in full sun.

Re seed sources - I am starting to shift to organic seeds, because this rationale makes sense to me (http://highmowingseeds.com/why-buy-organic-seeds.html). 

The big seed companies try to carry varieties that will do well over a wide range of growing conditions.  That works for lots of gardeners.  If you have unusual growing conditions, then local seed houses may carry seeds that will work better for you.  I am in south-eastern Ontario, so I look at days to maturity very carefully.  I would rather have a plant with a slightly lower yield than one that is wonderful, but is dead from frost too soon.  If I were in Texas my growing criteria would be totally different.  But you can be fine with the big seed companies, just be careful about your choice of variety.

Happy gardening!

Thanks Retiredat63! I am outside of DC - so in the Midatlantic region.  I know I want Roma (bush) and that I will want at least 1 indeterminate kind. I am undecided as to the other 1 or 2 tomato plants.  I can also put Basil in the herb garden and just make that entire 2x4 area tomatoes.

Hey Wintertell, I'm in Fairfax and have a plethora of of heirloom tomato and basil plants if you want some!

Mishmash, I would love some! I will PM you to see when we can meet up!

This is so exciting!

We spent all day prepping the garden beds and the new herb garden I will be putting on the side lawn. Tomorrow I plan to start germinating some seeds and do some research about what cold weather plants can already be seeded into the garden bed.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2016, 08:59:41 PM »
Hi wintertell

Happy gardening!

Mishmash, I would love some! I will PM you to see when we can meet up!

This is so exciting!

We spent all day prepping the garden beds and the new herb garden I will be putting on the side lawn. Tomorrow I plan to start germinating some seeds and do some research about what cold weather plants can already be seeded into the garden bed.

Sounds good, send me a PM and we can link up :-)  I've got chestnut chocolates, solar flares, michael pollans, brandywines, and pineapple pigs for tomatoes (I have seeds for Lucid Gems, just gave away my extras of those if you want some seeds).  3 types of basil as well, standard, a corsican and a red freddy.  Just let me know which ones you want :-)

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »

Brassicas!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »
I finally got the garden started today! After years of neglect, DH and I attacked the raised beds (ish, they're falling apart). Ripped out a 6'x6' area of grass, mint, and other miserable ground covers, then a 2.5'x10' bed with some slightly less miserable weeds. Left a 2.5'x6' bed with mint- didn't want to fight it. And then another 4'x4' bed, which wasn't too bad except for the TREE starting to come up in the middle. Luckily they were all in pretty damp and loose soil. But still, took about 3 hours for that part with both of us working non-stop. Turns out the soil is actually pretty good under everything! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, with how insanely all the volunteer tomatoes grew last year. Downside: 2 different ANGRY ant hills. Near as I could find, best advice is "if they're close to the surface, stir the soil and flood them, over and over, until they leave". Anyone tried this? Otherwise, I'll just give those little areas to them and surround them with herbs and marigolds and other things that will keep them at bay.

We are going extremely low budget on the garden this year, so we rocked it old school with one shovel and one rake, borrowed from the neighbor lady. Doing seeds instead of starts (except if we stay through the whole summer- I will do starts for tomatoes). So far today I got in peas and carrots. Tomorrow I will finish up the planting with radishes, lettuce, marigolds, chives, oregano, and cilantro.

Because of budget, we are eschewing thing I really WOULD want, but am not going to do, like: extra soil, proper row markers, re build the beds, good soil amendment/compost tea, nematodes, lady bugs, etc. These would certainly benefit the garden, but it just isn't somewhere we want to invest right now. Also, we don't own the property and may move in late July, so that would eat most savings anyway =(

Anyway, was awesome getting my hands in the dirt again!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »
How in F#$% is one supposed to garden when yesterday it thundersnowed, today it's nearly 70, and tomorrow the high's going to be 37?

FFS.

I'm also crabby because my community garden doesn't open until late April and the space under my growlight is crammed with plants that have nowhere to go, as you can't put them outside when it's f#$%ing snowing out.

And I wanted to start my tomatoes and peppers but I've no idea where I'd even put them once they sprout. I really want a second growlight setup but Boyfriend vetoed that as I'm already taking up a good chunk of space in the only no-cats-allowed room in the apartment.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
Hubby and I got a raised bed at our community garden, we are thrilled. We already had our first round and are on to the next.
We live in FL. We have 3 types of kale which does GREAT and so does our collards- we make green smoothies every single morning, it is fantastic. We have 3 tomatoe plants, 3 snaps peas, had a ton of carrots, radishes, beetroot. We also planted a couple of old garlic bits and they grew- fennel, mint which we didnt plant but likes to take over. Drinking mint tea as i type. :) love it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
Hubby and I got a raised bed at our community garden, we are thrilled. We already had our first round and are on to the next.
We live in FL. We have 3 types of kale which does GREAT and so does our collards- we make green smoothies every single morning, it is fantastic. We have 3 tomatoe plants, 3 snaps peas, had a ton of carrots, radishes, beetroot. We also planted a couple of old garlic bits and they grew- fennel, mint which we didnt plant but likes to take over. Drinking mint tea as i type. :) love it.

I've never made mint tea from fresh. What is your approach? =) Thanks!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2016, 06:52:58 PM »

I've never made mint tea from fresh. What is your approach? =) Thanks!

I made it like mojitos, lots of bashing around in boiling water with my pestel, then some honey.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
Lady Snow just sent me a slew of pictures from our Salish Sea island garden...you see, I'm in Mexico and quite removed from the gardening project...which makes me slightly uncomfortable. But, judging from the pics she sent me...peas, cabbages, onions (seedlings and sets), lettuce, and spinach are looking AMAZING. Once I get back north in a few weeks I look forward to immersing myself in the wondrous miracle of vegetable gardening once again.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
Busy day today!  It's been 75 all weekend, which is creepy from a global warming perspective, but the plants are loving it.  Today I transplanted 20 cauliflower plants, 5 Swiss chard, 2 collards, 2 kales, about a dozen broccoli and a dozen cabbages, then hooked them all up with bird netting hoop houses. 

I also set up a serious trellis for my hops.  It's on the south side of the house and I'm hoping it will shade the wall and reduce solar gain this summer.  Spread landscaping rock around them, and now I'm looking for some echinacea to plant just in front of them.  Still so much to do; wish I didn't have to go back to work tomorrow!

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »
Ooooooh, fashionably late to the thread but happy to be here! 

I have a condo with a south-facing deck, and for the last two years I've been container gardening - mostly cherry tomatoes, also a couple herbs (tried strawberries but the local creatures got them all).  This is my first year starting from seeds; this is also my first year with a community garden plot.  Slightly worried I've bitten off more than I can chew, but the plot is at work and is free and awesome (10'x10', surface is turned and worked for us in advance, compost available) so I'm excited to give it a try. 

I've got a mini-greenhouse thing in my living room right now which is keeping the cats out of my tomato (seven varieties!) and herb seedlings.  Some of them will go into containers, the rest into the plot, and then I'm probably going to also direct sow an assortment of squash, peas, onions and cucumbers in the plot. 

I also am trying to start some asparagus seedlings, and was figuring on planting them in my parents' back yard, and also spreading some seeds.  Not really optimistic about that working out, but I figured it'd be fun to try and awesome (in a couple years) if it pans out.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2016, 11:49:32 PM »
I took a wander around the yard today.  There is green grass sprouting, some hardier little plants sprouting under the leaf mulch (weeds, but still signs of life), buds on most of my plants, and green leaf buds on my raspberries and high bush cranberries.  It's very exciting and also concerning as there shouldn't be leaves starting to show for couple weeks.  I'm worried all of my plants will bud and flower early and be frosted over...a couple years ago we got a few inches of snow on Memorial Day. 

The only things I noticed that aren't looking very good are the arctic kiwis.  They don't seem to have any buds and are very withered looking.  One dropped its leaves suddenly and early last fall; the other dropped its leaves all at once a bit later.  Does anyone know if withery and brittle is how a kiwi normally feels in the spring?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
Our crazy spring weather makes me really want low tunnels of cloches. On the list for next year, just too much with everything else we did this year.

Broccoli seedlings I risked planting early have survived 20sF, heavy T-storms, and 2 inches of snow all in their first two weeks outdoors. The ones I've kept under lights are much healthier looking though.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2016, 10:06:38 AM »
So the weather really sucked arse this weekend- but I have set aside veggie clippings, paper and coffee grounds to start some compost. I need to find a chance this weekend to get out there and do some damage- finish picking up the left over leaves and really trying to prep the grounds. It's pretty much to cold right now to get anything useful done- and I"m on a super tight budget- so not sure what to get started with other than tidying up- but I'm going to start a mini compost space for myself.  And tighten up the bed area and see what I have to work with.

Zehr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
Does anyone have a solution for slugs? We have various different greens growing and the slugs seem to love them. Inevitably, when we harvest, the slugs come with the greens inside. We end up washing every leaf really thoroughly and it feels really wasteful, both in time and water.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »
Does anyone have a solution for slugs? We have various different greens growing and the slugs seem to love them. Inevitably, when we harvest, the slugs come with the greens inside. We end up washing every leaf really thoroughly and it feels really wasteful, both in time and water.

Sluggo, copper traps, beer traps, but the best solution is keeping ducks.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
Zehr - slugs like a smooth soil for sliding up to your green buffet.  Little tinfoil collars around single plants has worked for me.  I have also tried crushed egg shells and sharp sand that was left over from repairing some brick work. I made little break walls of the sand around each of the rows one year.  I also made some slug traps but I can't remember how successful they were.  I have had less of a problem at my new allotment and I think it is because I had a heavy straw mulch down over most of the surface and because the compost bin doesn't totally break down the egg shells and cherry pits, the soil surface below the straw is really not favourable to the little critters.

Zehr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I've tried Sluggo and it does seem to have helped with the amount of damage on the plants. I'll give copper and sand a shot.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »
While I am watching the snow fall fairly heavily outside - I am dreaming about my 2016 garden and running some experiments. 
My neighbours don't use their 8x10 greenhouse.  It doesn't have heat, water or electricity so last year I had to ferry my tender plants back and forth on the cold nights in May.  This year, I have constructed a water battery from found materials.  Old rubbermaid bins, garbage cans, jugs and cast off pails.  They are covered in black weed cloth or soil bags and surround a dozen 10 gallon tree pots.  I filled the pots 3/4 full of soil so that there is a fair amount of headspace for the seedlings.  I purchased potting soil but mixed it will excavated soil from our backyard where we had ponding water. I planted a couple of weeks ago.  Because I am not sure how cold the greenhouse will get by 4am, I am using up old seed from previous years.  And because I don't know how viable the seed is (some of it is from 2013) I am sowing fairly densely.  A polar vortex has been hanging around for a couple of days and Monday night got super cold.  There was a thin ice sheet in the most of the smallest containers of water.  The pole beans I am using as my canary were frozen solid.  The kale isn't up yet so it is likely fine, but the peas, collards, radish, spinach, parsley, dill, cilantro and five types of lettuce all look fine when I took off the blankets covering them.  I have everything sitting on the floor.  I will pop over once the temperature goes above freezing and pull back the blankets.
Inside, in the windows, I have six rosemary plants that I have overwintered for three years and then pop into the ground in June.  I also have a four foot bay leaf tree.  My whole family has gotten used to having fresh bay leaves for their cooking.  So much better flavour.  It gets moved to the other side of the patio door for the summer and grows like crazy.
Down in the basement on the second tool bench, I have two four foot grow lights with basil, tomatoes and some edible flowers.  I will swap some tomato seedlings for those things that I haven't the space for - eggplant and peppers.  I am trying Defiant and Magic Mountain tomatoes this year as they are resistant to blight.
I have ordered two pear trees and a shrub black cherry.  There are stakes in the ground where I will plant them but right now the ground is covered in snow.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2016, 08:28:16 AM »
This morning I took my scraps to the yard and troweled a hole and turned the dirt and drumped my trimmings in there.

Okay- it's not a big step- but it's a SMALL step. LOL- I WILL have a compost pile!!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!