Author Topic: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019  (Read 93715 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019
« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »
A mystery creature ate juneberry shrubling number two today which has us worried about the newly planted pears.

Oh no!  Was it eaten down to the roots, or was the damage actually under the ground?

I've had rabbits eat entire small trees right down flush with the ground . . .  (That's what happened with Bob our apple seedling.  He was eaten down flat to the ground twice, leaving only roots.) 

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
@coffeefueled Where on shrub was that piece chewed off? Was it low? Do you have rabbits?

When I have to protect new plants, I use 2-3 of the 6 ft green fence stakes. I place them about 1-2 ft away from the bush or tree and then loosely wrap 1/4" hardware cloth around the stakes to encircle the entire tree. If it's rabbits that are chewing on it, you could use those pvc or plastic tree guards that wrap around the base like a slinky. I prefer the hw cloth because it keep everything out until the plant is established.

@Trifele Your garden fence looks fantastic. Can't wait to see when growing season really gets underway. I laughed to myself because your garden dimensions are bigger than my house. I've always wanted a big kitchen garden right outside backdoor.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »
@Trifele Your garden fence looks fantastic. Can't wait to see when growing season really gets underway. I laughed to myself because your garden dimensions are bigger than my house. I've always wanted a big kitchen garden right outside backdoor.

Haha @Indio -- yes, our fenced garden area is bigger than OUR house too . . . Guess you can see where our priorities lie!  ;)   It's not right outside the back door (that would be ultra luxury indeed) but about 150 feet away.

Forgot to mention that in addition to the potatoes and kale, I'll be planting some fennel soon.  I'll be sure to share pictures.  :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2019, 08:22:38 AM »
@Trifele -I have some fennel seed but have never grown it before.  I found two contradictory sources - one says transplanting causes bolting and the other recommends growing in seed plugs.  I just want a few bulbs to try making some recipes with it.  Also, our frost free date isn't until the end of May.  Do you direct seed it?  Does the bolting mean it doesn't grow a big bulb?

Would appreciate any advice.  I am also going to try parsnips again.  Those buggers don't germinate easily but I am ever the optimist.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
@Trifele -I have some fennel seed but have never grown it before.  I found two contradictory sources - one says transplanting causes bolting and the other recommends growing in seed plugs.  I just want a few bulbs to try making some recipes with it.  Also, our frost free date isn't until the end of May.  Do you direct seed it?  Does the bolting mean it doesn't grow a big bulb?

Would appreciate any advice.  I am also going to try parsnips again.  Those buggers don't germinate easily but I am ever the optimist.

@Frugal Lizard -- this is my first time growing fennel, so I know nothing.  :)  I'm going to direct seed it and see what happens.  I read that spring sowing is more likely to cause bolting, and fall sowing can result in bigger bulbs.  Bat signal out to @Indio, who may have some wisdom on this.  :)

Good luck with the parsnips!  I like those.   

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »

@Frugal Lizard -- this is my first time growing fennel, so I know nothing.  :)  I'm going to direct seed it and see what happens.  I read that spring sowing is more likely to cause bolting, and fall sowing can result in bigger bulbs.  Bat signal out to @Indio, who may have some wisdom on this.  :)

Re: fennel, I don't know about bolting, but I've read you shouldn't plant it near anything else. I have seed I want to grow this year and am trying to figure out where I can put it that isn't near anything else... ;P

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »

Re: fennel, I don't know about bolting, but I've read you shouldn't plant it near anything else. I have seed I want to grow this year and am trying to figure out where I can put it that isn't near anything else... ;P
I read that too and haven't gotten any further towards figuring out where. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
I was in the garden this morning, and having just checked my first planting of peas and seeing them just on the verge of starting thier climb up the trellis, I walked over to my spinach patch just as the sun created the top of the redwood. My spinach was bathed in the morning light and it was glorious.

5 years ago, If someone had told meI would be expressing such things publicly...I would have scoffed.;)

Installed the first Oyas of 2019 in the cabbage bed. Will probably transplant the cabbage starts in the next week. Cabbage might be my favourite thing to grow....peas are right there though.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »
I am just starting to see the pool filter emerge from the snow, so my gardening is vicarious.   Pictures please (anyone?).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »
I am just starting to see the pool filter emerge from the snow, so my gardening is vicarious.   Pictures please (anyone?).

Only snapped a spinach pic today. As lovely a scenario I painted above, it remains but spinach. Not exactly the garden p*rn you are seeking I would guess. Hit 18 Celsius in the shade of my garden today. Wondrous day to have ones hands in the dirt. Heard an amazing bit of birdsong in the forest behind the garden...I have no idea what it was.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2019, 05:53:01 PM »

Only snapped a spinach pic today. As lovely a scenario I painted above, it remains but spinach. Not exactly the garden p*rn you are seeking I would guess. Hit 18 Celsius in the shade of my garden today. Wondrous day to have ones hands in the dirt. Heard an amazing bit of birdsong in the forest behind the garden...I have no idea what it was.

We hit 7, and I saw 5 wild turkeys near the house (crossing the road, they looked very healthy).  So spring is coming.  Snow/freezing rain/rain tomorrow (-5 tonight, warming up to 4 on Saturday).  March is going out like a grump.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »

Thanks for the tag @Trifele. Fennel seeds are different from fennel bulbs. I've never grown fennel bulbs so no experience to share. The seed perennial has edible leaves, that look similar to dill. It doesn't bolt, but it does grow about 5' tall. I've got it planted among bee balm and next to comfrey and rue. None of those plants appear to be stunted by it. Honeybees love the fennel flower heads. I trim the leaves off as the plant grows and use it in salads. It's especially delicious in cold beet salad. Every year I harvest and dry the seed heads, save some for Winter soups and tea.

If you're interested I have a lot of double white hollyhock seeds saved from last year. They are biennial and don't attract bees, but have a beautiful cottage garden look. Had to plant them inside my garden fence because the local groundhog families find them very tasty.

My bees didn't survive the polar vortex so I picked up two new packages of Italian honeybees today fresh off the truck from GA. Just in time because my fruit trees are going to be flowering in 2ish weeks. Going to install them in the beeyard hives tomorrow. It will be so nice to see the bees flying around the garden again. Didn't realize how much I missed watching them.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2019, 04:46:32 AM »
Re: the fennel -- that's interesting @Indio -- thanks.   It sounds like you grow your fennel mostly as an herb (leaves, seeds, some stalks) and @Frugal Lizard may be trying to grow large bulbs to eat as a vegetable.  I'm guessing that maybe different varieties are suited to different uses?  I'm growing it as an herb and food for the bees, and I won't be harvesting any bulbs.  I wonder if the allelopathic behavior that some people describe with fennel only happens with some varieties but not others?  To be safe I'm going to plant my fennel inside my deer fence, but a little to the side -- away from the veg beds.  Should be interesting!

Weather was beautiful yesterday --68F/20C and sunny.  I composted, broadforked, and planted carrots and kale.  I'm SORE this morning -- love it.  On tap for today and tomorrow:  plant potatoes and start seeding my herbal tea garden. 

So sorry to hear about your bees Indio, and congrats on the replacements.  I love their sound too.  Right now all our pear trees are covered with flowers and you can hear a loud hum from all the bees working them.   

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2019, 07:26:51 AM »
Bought grass seed. Can't wait till May 15 (frost date) to get it in some bare spots.

Filling in low spots with 'topsoil' from Lowe's, but I don't think anything will grow in this 'topsoil' so will have to buy some better stuff to mix into it.

Picked up a beautiful 4 pack of Big Boy tomatoes for $2.99.  Way early, and I'll have to keep them inside for a month and a half. That's OK, I can't risk the store not having any left by May 15.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
Bought grass seed. Can't wait till May 15 (frost date) to get it in some bare spots.

Filling in low spots with 'topsoil' from Lowe's, but I don't think anything will grow in this 'topsoil' so will have to buy some better stuff to mix into it.

Picked up a beautiful 4 pack of Big Boy tomatoes for $2.99.  Way early, and I'll have to keep them inside for a month and a half. That's OK, I can't risk the store not having any left by May 15.
  You can get a jump start by graduating those 4 packs into larger pots and avoid them getting root bound and running out of nutrients.

Re fennel - I want to grow it as a vegetable.  Apparently vegetable and herb are the same variety.  And did you all know that the pollen has an amazing taste of curry?  http://www.barbarapleasant.com/growingbulbfennel.html

I think I am going to start half the seeds in pots and direct sow the balance in my flower garden area and I will report back.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:39:05 AM by Frugal Lizard »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »

You can get a jump start by graduating those 4 packs into larger pots and avoid them getting root bound and running out of nutrients.

Re fennel - I want to grow it as a vegetable.  Apparently vegetable and herb are the same variety.  And did you all know that the pollen has an amazing taste of curry?  http://www.barbarapleasant.com/growingbulbfennel.html

I think I am going to start half the seeds in pots and direct sow the balance in my flower garden area and I will report back.

FL, 

Thanks for that tip. Yes, I may end up doing that with my tomatoes.

Good luck with your garden,   

Slackmax

coffeefueled

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2019, 08:00:00 AM »
I did a lot of googling on voles - which is what I think ate the roots and bottoms of our juneberry bushes. I pulled back all the mulch from the new pear trees since the internet says that can attract them to areas. So far the voles have left the pears alone. I'm going to put in some sonic repellant sticks tonight. Fingerscrossed it works. The biggest pear tree has some buds. DH and I are super excited about having flowers soon.

It was a gloriously warm weekend here too. Our peas, kale, and radishes are sprouting. The chard hasn't come up yet. DH put in all the T-posts for our deer fence and set the welded wire fencing in place. We ran out of time to attach everything, but hopefully we'll have it finished this week.

It's starting to look like a garden. I'm completely tickled by how excited DH gets over any sprout. He's never grown anything and it's all new to him. : )

Vasilisa

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
I've grown fennel bulbs from seed before- started seeds and transplanted. Some of the bulbs were pretty hefty, at least 6" across. If I remember correctly, I started them in the fall. I definitely planted and grew too many as I was sick of eating them for years afterwards! So my recommendation (as with all veggies) is to plant less of one thing and plant more varieties and diversity!

This weekend I transplanted bachelor buttons and larkspur that I started from seed last month- exciting to finally have a little seed starting area that's effective and squirrel proof. I'm going to have an entire bed of flowers for cutting this year! Direct seeded some sunflowers, cosmos and nasturtiums. In the veggie beds, planted potatoes, seeds of pak choy, carrots, and more lettuce. DH had brought home some orphan tomatoes so threw those in the beds too. Harvested kale, green onions, and green garlic. I had had some tiny bulblets from garlic I grew last year, that I planted tightly in a row- not sure if they're going to develop much of a bulb, but enjoying eating them as is.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »

[/quote]

My bees didn't survive the polar vortex so I picked up two new packages of Italian honeybees today fresh off the truck from GA. Just in time because my fruit trees are going to be flowering in 2ish weeks. Going to install them in the beeyard hives tomorrow. It will be so nice to see the bees flying around the garden again. Didn't realize how much I missed watching them.
[/quote]

I lost my bees as well. Sad. I hope to catch a few 'feral' swarms this spring. I got two last year and three the year before. The commercial bees seem just too poorly adapted to mites and diseases, but most of the feral bees are just commercial bees flown free.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »
I've grown fennel bulbs from seed before- started seeds and transplanted. Some of the bulbs were pretty hefty, at least 6" across. If I remember correctly, I started them in the fall. I definitely planted and grew too many as I was sick of eating them for years afterwards! So my recommendation (as with all veggies) is to plant less of one thing and plant more varieties and diversity!

This weekend I transplanted bachelor buttons and larkspur that I started from seed last month- exciting to finally have a little seed starting area that's effective and squirrel proof. I'm going to have an entire bed of flowers for cutting this year! Direct seeded some sunflowers, cosmos and nasturtiums. In the veggie beds, planted potatoes, seeds of pak choy, carrots, and more lettuce. DH had brought home some orphan tomatoes so threw those in the beds too. Harvested kale, green onions, and green garlic. I had had some tiny bulblets from garlic I grew last year, that I planted tightly in a row- not sure if they're going to develop much of a bulb, but enjoying eating them as is.
  More fennel feedback! yeah!  I spoke with a number of gardeners this past weekend and not one of them is having luck with fennel in our area but all had very little experience or were growing it for seed, which is touch and go for our length of season.

We got 5-6inches of snow Saturday night - Sunday.  It has melted quite a bit - but we won't be doing any planting for some time....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »

We got 5-6inches of snow Saturday night - Sunday.  It has melted quite a bit - but we won't be doing any planting for some time....

Wow, I'm in a colder zone than you are and we didn't get that.  We got a dusting of snow Saturday morning, then freezing rain, and then rain, which continued into Sunday.  Our snow is all old dirty snow. Hard and crusty because it has absorbed so much rain.  It is being so slow to melt.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2019, 03:26:43 PM »

Wow, I'm in a colder zone than you are and we didn't get that.  We got a dusting of snow Saturday morning, then freezing rain, and then rain, which continued into Sunday.  Our snow is all old dirty snow. Hard and crusty because it has absorbed so much rain.  It is being so slow to melt.
But we are close enough to Lake Huron to get whopped every now and then.  We only had small patchy areas of the grey/brown ice until yesterday morning.  Now my gardening dreams are all pushed back.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
* Got all the broken sprinklers fixed.
* Boysenberries are in the ground and fertilized with our worm-rich compost.
* Added catmint, dill and feverfew to the perennial beds.
* Top-dressed the almond tree and the moringa with worm compost.
* Mowed with the reel mower as usual and left the clippings to “grasscycle.”
* Turned the leaf mold pile.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: April 02, 2019, 07:04:31 AM »

But we are close enough to Lake Huron to get whopped every now and then.  We only had small patchy areas of the grey/brown ice until yesterday morning.  Now my gardening dreams are all pushed back.

Oh, lake effect snow.  My sympathies.  At least it was mostly gone before the fresh stuff arrived, it should melt fast.  I still have snow from December.  I can also see the difference between town and country, there is a lot less snow in Ottawa than at my place.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #274 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
Garden status update:

In the garden and thriving:  lettuce, spinach, peas, horseradish
In the garden, and just newly germinated: turnips, Swiss chard, kale (3 varieties), parsnips (took two bloody weeks to germinate), onions (sets)
Things to plant in the garden over the next few days: potatoes, carrots, beets, onions (seedlings)

In a mini greenhouse, to be planted out over the next week or two: Collards, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower....and more kale (because, and I never thought I'd utter these words, you can NEVER have enough)
Indoors, under grow lights, to be transplanted out in May...tomatoes (5 varieties) and peppers (4 varieties), tomatillos (salsa verde dreams)

I have a forum friend visiting me soon and this individual seems quite enthused about giving me a hand in the garden during their stay. Free labour FTW!

Weather is about to get cool and soggy...and I do worry a bit about my wee seedlings ability to withstand it. Hopefully it's just the usual steady PNW drizzle, not a deluge.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:14:30 AM by Jon_Snow »

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
i am growing scotch bonnet peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, and cherry tomatoes.  the scotch bonnets are indestructible but the white flies are absolutely killing the rest of my crop.

all are in cloth containers or a large wooden grow box.

anyone in FL that deals with humid weather have a suggestion for white flies and powdery mildew?

cassafrass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »
I lost my bees as well. Sad. I hope to catch a few 'feral' swarms this spring. I got two last year and three the year before.

Just curious how one catches a swarm of bees. My husband has shown some interest in keeping bees and it could be a fun project to work on this summer.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »
I lost my bees as well. Sad. I hope to catch a few 'feral' swarms this spring. I got two last year and three the year before.

Just curious how one catches a swarm of bees. My husband has shown some interest in keeping bees and it could be a fun project to work on this summer.

Swarm traps.  Bees are attracted to certain smells.  Lemongrass oil for one.  They also like the smell of places where bees have been before.  I had to give up my bees because the neighbor found out and lost her everloving mind. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #278 on: April 05, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »
So I was impatiently watching my 4 year old cherry trees to see if I'd get any blossoms for the first time.  And yes! One of them has flower buds!  It's a 'Lapins' variety.  No flower buds visible yet on the others yet (Bing and Stella) -- might have to wait til next year on them.  But I'm soooo impatient, lol.

In other exciting fruit tree news, one of the little paw paw trees I planted is flowering!  Probably no fruit this year though, as I highly doubt the other two trees will flower, and it needs a pollinator.  Still, nice to see that it's healthy.  Paw paw reproduction is very interesting.  They're pollinated by flies and beetles (not bees) so their flowers are dark red and smell like rotten meat.  :)

Down in the vegetable garden I got my last bed prepped yesterday -- broadforked and composted, then also had to till.  I try to till as little as possible, but that bed was really compacted.  In the other big bed -- no sprouts yet from my kale, spinach, and carrot sowings last weekend.  Hopefully soon.

Yesterday next to the house I found two large healthy lemon balm plants that the previous owner apparently planted.  I've been here three years, and I'm just now noticing them; shame on me haha.  Well that's a good start to the 'herbal tea garden' I've been planning.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:29:14 AM by Trifele »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »

In other exciting fruit tree news, one of the little paw paw trees I planted is flowering!  Probably no fruit this year though, as I highly doubt the other two trees will flower, and it needs a pollinator.  Still, nice to see that it's healthy.  Paw paw reproduction is very interesting.  They're pollinated by flies and beetles (not bees) so their flowers are dark red and smell like rotten meat.  :)

Can you talk more about growing pawpaws?  What growing conditions they like, things like that?  I  had a chance to eat a pawpaw last fall and saved 6 seeds, which have been in damp potting mix in the crisper all winter to get properly chilled.  I am wondering when to bring them into the warm, and where to plant them if they do germinate.  And how long before flowers?   Basically anything you can tell me will be useful.

Red trilliums are also pollinated by carrion flies, so I hope they will be willing to fly up to pawpaw flowers instead of flying 6" above the forest floor.   ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2019, 07:29:31 AM »
After digging out last year's seeds I realised I didn't need a lot of new ones.  I did my orders yesterday.  Squash and tomatoes.

Everything is open pollinated so I can continue to do seed saving, and some were OSSI seeds.  For home gardeners (and market gardeners/farmers) I think OP and some seed saving is the smart way to go, long term.

https://osseeds.org/

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »
That's neat that you have paw paw seeds @RetiredAt63.  I haven't grown from seed, but it looks from these articles like the germination process is a bit complicated and finicky: 

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/faq/what-proper-way-germinate-pawpaw-seeds.   

https://www.treepeony.com/pages/growing-pawpaw-asimina-triloba-from-seed

I bought three very young trees, of three different varieties.   They were 1-2 feet tall when I planted them. One was a seedling and two were graftlings.  (Interestingly it is quite common to grow paw paws from seed, rather than grafting.  I imagine that they must breed true from seed (?) unlike apples).  Judging based on my one tree that is flowering, looks like they can start around 4 years old. 

On the advice of the nursery, I planted my three trees in a triangle with the trunks about 8 feet apart.  That's supposed to help with pollination, since the critters doing the work don't fly as well as bees, if they fly at all.  The idea is to get the branches touching each other when the trees are full grown.

They like fertile soil, so I've been feeding mine compost and fertilizing once a year with a fruit tree mixture. I also put a thick layer of wood chip mulch around them.   

Young paw paws are very sensitive to sunburn.  The leaves and young twigs can literally burn away.  Apparently in the wild they grow close to the parent and receive partial shading when they're young.  I have some plastic landscaping fencing (picture green snow fencing) suspended above mine to act as a partial shade.  The first year I used two layers partially offset and then last year I went with one layer and they did fine.  You can gradually wean them off the shade over a period of a few years.

Good luck -- let me know how it goes!  Very interesting -- now I want to try it.  :) 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:33 AM »
@Trifele That was interesting, thank you.  I had read online that they need the cold stratification, which is why they are moist and cold in the crisper.  80-100 days, I need to go back and figure out how long they have been in there. Hmm, erratic germination, I hope I get at least 2 to actually germinate.

10" deep pot and warm - hmm.   I  may wait until it is warmer outside and the house is warmer, then plant them all in one big deep container on a heat mat so I don't mess up the tap roots.

I was planning to plant them near my cedar hedge, so they will get some shelter but afternoon sun.  I may need to give additional shade for a while.  If I am really careful about where I put them, my basswood tree might give them the extra shade.  Or I could plant something west of them so they get that afternoon shade.

I think they are not registered varieties because they all taste much the same, while there are huge differences between apple varieties.  I can see someone cloning if one pawpaw had exceptional flavour. Plus if there were a few varieties that tasted amazing they might get more commercial attention!  And they could pollinate each other.  Just think, one tree, 2 or 3 varieties, and that makes it easy for the pollinators.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
I think they are not registered varieties because they all taste much the same, while there are huge differences between apple varieties.  I can see someone cloning if one pawpaw had exceptional flavour. Plus if there were a few varieties that tasted amazing they might get more commercial attention!  And they could pollinate each other.  Just think, one tree, 2 or 3 varieties, and that makes it easy for the pollinators.

Yes I agree @RetiredAt63 -- seems like there may not be as much flavor difference.  Of my three trees, one is an Overleese graftling, one is a Shenandoah graftling, and the seedling is a mystery/grab bag tree from a wild parent.  We'll hopefully find out eventually how they all taste!  And yes -- hoping the mixture of three different varieties is good for pollination.

Sounds like you have a great plan for their shade!  I didn't have a good semi-shade spot, so full sun is what they got.  I'll just have to do more work to protect them for a few years and then they should be ok.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2019, 06:14:34 PM »
Today was rainier than expected, so I stayed in and potted up a bunch of pepper and tomato seedlings.  Then in between rain showers I prepped 4 beds for planting.  One of which I transplanted collards, kale, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage into.

Hoping to get beet, radish and carrot seeds in the ground tomorrow, though it is looking like more rain than today.  I don't mind the rain though - it's usually quite dry here, and takes diligent watering to get the carrot seeds germinated.  It's much nicer when mother nature takes care of it.

In other news, I am loving the LED lights!  One unexpected perk is that they don't need to be so close to the plants, so it's easier to water and tend to the plants without the need to raise the light up out of the way.  The pepper seedlings under the LEDs are much darker green than their cohorts that have been under the T-5's the whole time.  The one downside is the noisy fans.  They're in the basement, so it's not a big deal, except it's my telework area, so I might have to adjust the timer so they're off when I'm WFH.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2019, 08:07:43 PM »
I planted some rainbow carrots in the fall and for some reason they've taken forever to mature, but most of them finally have. The different colors are a hit with the kids - today we got two yellow ones, one white, one orange, and one purple.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #286 on: April 07, 2019, 05:08:50 AM »
In other news, I am loving the LED lights! 

Thanks for the update on the LEDs, @horsepoor.  I'm looking to switch my grow lights over and this is great to hear! Apologies if I missed it, but did you completely DIY it?  Retrofit an older cabinet?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: April 07, 2019, 07:24:11 AM »
Anyone ever put preemergent on top of asparagus?

I figure I wouldn't need to worry about the asparagus (we planted last year) and maybe that'd help with the weeds?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: April 07, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »
So, I've read that pawpaws can handle having wet feet better yhan other fruits.  Has this been your experience?  I have a low spot in the yard that tends to drain less than everything else and I'm considering putting pawpaws there.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #289 on: April 07, 2019, 08:43:31 AM »
In other news, I am loving the LED lights! 

Thanks for the update on the LEDs, @horsepoor.  I'm looking to switch my grow lights over and this is great to hear! Apologies if I missed it, but did you completely DIY it?  Retrofit an older cabinet?

No,  I just bought these and hang them from plant hangers mounted near the ceiling.  I considered DIY, but it didn't seem worth it for negligible savings.  I paid $66 each for the 300W units, but now they're down to $58.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H32JFGR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #290 on: April 07, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »

I figure I wouldn't need to worry about the asparagus (we planted last year) and maybe that'd help with the weeds?
I don't have direct experience, but if it truly is a pre-emergent (and only a pre-emergent) it should only affect seeds (in which case it's ok). However, I think many include other ingredients so you'd have to look at those ingredients separately. Just corn gluten meal would probably work just find? (Again, theorizing here.)

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #291 on: April 07, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
Posting to follow. I've requested my yearly tomato & sweet pepper starts from my sister, to be planted in my 100 square foot backyard garden over Mother's day weekend. I'm going to direct sow yellow squash & zucchini just before that. Going to Home Depot for additional topsoil today & then the city composting facility for free compost. This is a good distraction from the dead mouse/mice (ick) that is rotting in the wall of my son's bedroom & stinking it up to the point of unusability 🤢

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: April 07, 2019, 03:31:46 PM »

I don't have direct experience, but if it truly is a pre-emergent (and only a pre-emergent) it should only affect seeds (in which case it's ok). However, I think many include other ingredients so you'd have to look at those ingredients separately. Just corn gluten meal would probably work just find? (Again, theorizing here.)

I also made the mistake last year of tilling grass without first killing it...  really ought to have nuked from orbit first. Obviously preemergent wouldn't help vs that.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #293 on: April 08, 2019, 04:50:38 AM »
@horsepoor -- thanks for the LED info!  That will be my project for this fall, to switch out my lights for LEDs.

@Sugaree, from what I've read (no first hand knowledge) paw paws like moist but well drained soil.  In the wild they tend to grow in river bottoms, so it does sound like maybe they could handle a moist spot at your place, better than another tree?  You could always call a nursery to talk it through.  These people are knowledgeable and nice:  https://www.usefulplants.org/

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #294 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »
I am so so so late starting seeds. Intended to start my tomato and basil seeds on Thursday before we left town for a long weekend. Ended up dealing with a sick kitten at the last minute (he's better now, thankfully) so that didn't get done. I'm going to do it today but no way will the tomatoes be ready for the plant-out date here. Argh.

I had decided to limit my seed-starting this year out of fear that I cannot keep seedlings and kittens alive at the same time. I am doing 1 tray that has 12 slots. 9 tomatoes and 3 basils. I'm not even bothering starting pepper seedlings this year as they don't do that well; I'm going to buy the mini-pepper plant that I grow every year that actually produces well, and a jalapeno, and call it good.

Our vacation was to Los Angeles and yesterday morning we stumbled upon a farmer's market down the street from our AirBNB. Oh my god. Leaving aside the tons of local citrus and avocadoes and other stuff that doesn't grow here..... the plants they had for sale made me drool. I don't think I've ever actually seen an artichoke plant or a passionfruit.... bush? Vine? I don't know how those grow. But there they were. And while our friend was driving us through some neighborhood with fancy houses, I saw actual orange trees with oranges on them in people's yard. Sigh. Why do I live in zone 5?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:37:05 AM by Tris Prior »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
Our vacation was to Los Angeles and yesterday morning we stumbled upon a farmer's market down the street from our AirBNB. Oh my god. Leaving aside the tons of local citrus and avocadoes and other stuff that doesn't grow here..... the plants they had for sale made me drool. I don't think I've ever actually seen an artichoke plant or a passionfruit.... bush? Vine? I don't know how those grow. But there they were. And while our friend was driving us through some neighborhood with fancy houses, I saw actual orange trees with oranges on them in people's yard. Sigh. Why do I live in zone 5?

I feel your pain. When I visited my sister in January (she winters in southern California) we picked grapefruit off roadside trees.  She has friends who beg her to come and take bags full of lemons, their trees produce so many.

And of course now I am looking at the freezing rain on my deck and thinking "This is April 8! What the H, weather!!!"

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »
Right?? We are looking to move out of Chicago at some point and I know I can't afford southern CA but the thought of not having to cope with cold any more is so seductive.

To be fair, it's like 60 here at home now and I'm typing this from my back deck (with a hoodie on, granted, but still). In 2 days it will be a high of 39 though. :( :( :(

You guys! I have tiny TINY leaves starting on one of my raspberry bushes! It didn't die in the polar vortex!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2019, 01:35:43 PM »
Right?? We are looking to move out of Chicago at some point and I know I can't afford southern CA but the thought of not having to cope with cold any more is so seductive.

To be fair, it's like 60 here at home now and I'm typing this from my back deck (with a hoodie on, granted, but still). In 2 days it will be a high of 39 though. :( :( :(

You guys! I have tiny TINY leaves starting on one of my raspberry bushes! It didn't die in the polar vortex!

YAY for your raspberry!!!!

It is zero here. We seem to be finished the freezing rain, but here are ice pellets coming later and snow tomorrow.  No self-respecting plant is gong to try having anything green for a while.  In Ottawa a friend has daffodils up, but they are in a very sheltered location.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #298 on: April 08, 2019, 03:17:02 PM »
Well, on a more positive note I did some indoor gardening.  I repotted all the tomatoes and peppers that were outgrowing their present pots.

I kept a cutting of a cherry tomato I really liked last year and have 4 plants from it.  I know indeterminates grow indefinitely, so I will be seeing what the limits are.   They are from 3 side shoots and one growing tip, and 2 were so large I had to cut them back to another side shoot.  I've also sorted through my sweet potatoes from last year and started a few.

I have more peppers than I need.  I will donate some, plus some sweet potato slips, to a local fundraiser.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #299 on: April 08, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »
My summer garden is slowly winding down.

The bulbs I left in the ground from last year have started to pop up. We had only moved in here last year, and I ended up having more bulbs I brought from our old house than would fit in the flower beds here, so I had some in pots. Over the weekend I removed some finished tomato plants from pots and repotted with bulbs.

My basil has gone to seed in a major way, but I'm still managing to get enough off to eat. The tomatoes will continue for a while, it's just a race for them to finish off before the proper cold weather hits. I've moved my gardenia and fuschias into the house for the winter, and also my husbands bonsai. Should probably bring in my calathea, too. I'm running out of space to store them all in the house. At the moment I have a bunch on a ledge in the bathroom, but I also have about the same amount just sitting in my bathtub.

I'm getting ready to plant more spring onions and some peas soon. My baby spinach has been a bit poor, and my last lettuce planting was terrible. Does anyone have any tips? I'm wondering if the pots got too much shade in the weeks after planting, but could it be something else? They are in planter boxes with potting mix, watered daily to begin with, now watered most days.

Edit: when I say terribly I mean they just barely came up, and I have tiny stumps of lettuce that never grew. Smaller than a golf ball, mesclun mix, etc.