Author Topic: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019  (Read 94305 times)

lentil

• Stubble
Re: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019
« Reply #800 on: October 14, 2019, 01:00:09 PM »
We had our first hard frost last week, so my garden is officially done for the year. I am already missing it. I wasn't even going to plant a garden, but then a Craigslist ad for free tomato starts turned out to be a temptation that I could not resist. It worked out well -- for the cost of water plus a new ball of twine, I got hours of gardening, plus a ton of tomatoes. If only I could count on free veggie starts every year!

For the more thoughtful gardeners out there: what do you do to 'winterize' your vegetable garden? Curious about different approaches.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #801 on: October 14, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »
We had our first hard frost last week, so my garden is officially done for the year. I am already missing it. I wasn't even going to plant a garden, but then a Craigslist ad for free tomato starts turned out to be a temptation that I could not resist. It worked out well -- for the cost of water plus a new ball of twine, I got hours of gardening, plus a ton of tomatoes. If only I could count on free veggie starts every year!

For the more thoughtful gardeners out there: what do you do to 'winterize' your vegetable garden? Curious about different approaches.

When I'm really on the ball, I clean the beds out, incorporate some partially decomposed horse manure into the soil (amount depends on how much the bed has sunk), and then mulch with a layer of straw.  Some years I'm lucky if I just get all the old plants out, and then make a big pile of manure to compost over winter so it's ready to incorporate in the spring.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #802 on: October 14, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »

When I'm really on the ball, I clean the beds out, incorporate some partially decomposed horse manure into the soil (amount depends on how much the bed has sunk), and then mulch with a layer of straw.  Some years I'm lucky if I just get all the old plants out, and then make a big pile of manure to compost over winter so it's ready to incorporate in the spring.

I remember one year when I was working in the garden, left the shovel and digging fork there for the next day, and overnight we had enough snow that I only saw the tools the next spring.  ;-)

Don't be me.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #803 on: October 15, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I've thinned the fruits a bit and will look at support structures. Once this season is over though I'm thinking I should trim the branches a fair bit back, there any general rules for how much to cut so I'm not doing more damage than good?  Thanks again!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #804 on: October 19, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »
My community garden is likely closing either temporarily or permanently. Either way, it's likely I can move to another site (my garden org runs 4 or 5 sites, I think). But, that means I cannot plant garlic this fall, as we won't even know whether our existing garden's coming back until after it closes for the year in early November, nor will we know which garden we're moving to, if we are moving.

Boooooo.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #805 on: October 19, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I've thinned the fruits a bit and will look at support structures. Once this season is over though I'm thinking I should trim the branches a fair bit back, there any general rules for how much to cut so I'm not doing more damage than good?  Thanks again!

Hi Kierun

Here's a publication on citrus tree care from the Hawaii Cooperative Extension:  https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-14.pdf
There's a small section on pruning on page 6, just the usual advice of removing water shoots and crossing branches, and
opening up the interior.  It says to prune after the fruit is harvested.  (Apparently no need to wait until the tree is dormant, because your weather is so mild that your trees apparently don't do that).  There doesn't appear to be mention of trees being overladen with fruit, or needing to cut back fruit-bearing branches to prevent breakage.  Here's another article on pruning lemon trees:  https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/lemons/lemon-tree-pruning.htm

FYI -- pruning fruit trees is different than pruning a hedge or other plant.  You don't just cut branches shorter so they are closer to the trunk.  When you prune a fruit-bearing branch you'll remove it close to the trunk, just outside the branch collar, which means that entire branch will be gone for good.  No 'undo' button.  :) 

Did you actually have any branches crack under the weight of the fruit?  If not, then maybe the tree is ok without branch pruning.  Maybe you could just do the above-mentioned basics (get rid of water shoots and crossed branches, and thin the fruit as needed).  I have a persimmon tree with branches that droop a lot when it's fruiting, but its branches have never broken, and it seems to be ok.   I thin the fruit a bit, but I'm not even sure I need to. 

Another thought -- you could call a local nursery and garden center (a good one, with knowledgeable people) and ask them.  Google "fruit trees for sale near me" and see if you get any nursery results that aren't big-box type stores. 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:16:58 AM by Trifele »

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #806 on: October 21, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
Thanks Trifele! The tree is currently on a rental property so I'm there once every other week to maintain the yard so I'm not sure what has caused a few branches to break. And I do mean a few, less than 5 that had broken off, but don't know if it was from the weight of the fruit or something else. I do plan on cutting the branches back towards the trunk, especially if the ones that are now brushing the ground don't bounce back up to above head height. The tree has been a bit neglected since I was thinking I'd defer that maintenance until the rental turns into my primary, but looks like I've put it off for too long hehe.  Many mahalos!