Author Topic: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019  (Read 2092 times)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 04:20:40 AM »
I have tomorrow off (woo!) so I'm going to use the three day weekend to start prepping for my vegetable garden project.  (We're installing an 8' deer fence and laying out permanent beds and paths).  It's chilly here but we have no snow on the ground, so should be fine for a good round of outdoor prep work. 

We had two huge old maple trees (who were at the very end of their lives) taken down this week, and the tree crew chipped up all the smaller branches.  I have a pile of nice wood chips 10 feet high.  I'm thinking to use them for the garden paths and mulching around bushes and trees.   

WonderfulLife43

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 06:13:49 AM »
PTF, and for encouragment.  I have 5 4x4 raised beds, and looking to increase number of herbs this year: Parsley, Basil, Chamomile, ...

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:57 AM »
I am pouring through the seed catalogues and dreaming about possibilities.
I have a whole bunch of collected seed and a huge box of old bought seed so before I order anything new - I am going to sit down and make a plan for what I have space for and what I already have.
For my birthday in February I am getting myself some new LED grow lights so I can increase my seed starting capacity.
I want to challenge myself to grow some harder things that I haven't had success with before such as parsnips. 
My cold cellar is now operational so I want to grow more storage crops such as onions and potatoes.  I dislike buying shallots, sweet onions and leeks and potatoes that I know I could now keep in my cold cellar.
I grew leeks from seed last year and was pretty successful storing them until they were all gone just recently.  I could double the harvest size.  And apparently keeping them in the cold cellar in sand works well.
I have to get a plan together to enrich the soil - some nutrients are not there given the problems growing some crops such as beets.
I have a plan for growing tomatoes, potatoes and cucumbers in a different soil so I can work on getting the garden soil healthy from fungus but that plan needs to be updated.
Making garden plans is difficult this year because a lot of them involved my dad.  But I really love growing things and it makes me happy for the most part. 

Vasilisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
@Trifele ooh, jealous of your home grown wood chips for pathways! Post some pictures of your project this weekend.

@WonderfulLife43 I love growing herbs too. Chamomile is so lovely to grow and one feels like you should be wearing a sundress or summer outfit while harvesting. La la la. Picking flowers in the sunshine.

We planted a bare root plum ('Emerald Beaut') tree yesterday and my husband pruned our apple ('Pink Pearl') tree. Waiting a few more weeks to prune the weeping plum we have. Last year I gathered the branches and they were beautiful in vases.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 01:47:26 PM »
first time poster!

* started cucumber seeds in my Orta seed pots, using my own worm-castings/compost as the seed starting medium
* need to plant out more of the saffron crocus bulbs and transplant some comfrey root
* working on spreading our truckload of free ChipDrop wood chips by doing at least two wheelbarrow loads a day
* still harvesting tangerines
* need to work on harvesting and juicing/preserving our ripening lemon crop

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 01:57:35 PM »
first time poster!

* started cucumber seeds in my Orta seed pots, using my own worm-castings/compost as the seed starting medium
* need to plant out more of the saffron crocus bulbs and transplant some comfrey root
* working on spreading our truckload of free ChipDrop wood chips by doing at least two wheelbarrow loads a day
* still harvesting tangerines
* need to work on harvesting and juicing/preserving our ripening lemon crop

Don't you love ChipDrop?

I still have 1/2 a load sitting ON THE STREET in front of my house. I was trying to move 5 wheelbarrows a day but then I got hurt and couldn't. Luckily no one has called the city on me yet...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:19:41 PM by CalBal »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
I had not heard about ChipDrop -- Thanks guys!  I don't need any right now (and maybe not for a year!)  But very good to know. 

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
I had not heard about ChipDrop -- Thanks guys!  I don't need any right now (and maybe not for a year!)  But very good to know.

Chip Drop is the ultimate in mustachianism, if you can stand to store it, and move it. (It is a lot, though you can always share on Buy Nothing or your neighborhood Facebook group.) It's valuable, and FREEEEEEE!

krmit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 03:38:59 PM »
ChipDrop is the best!

So our realtor gave us a gift card to a local nursery as a 'happy closing on your first house' gift,  which I spent 75% of today. Got some tools I need and a few packets of seeds (no, really, only 3 packets of seeds!). Trying to decide if it's too early to start some seeds. 

*sigh*

Probably should wait a few weeks.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 03:12:42 AM »

Chip Drop is the ultimate in mustachianism, if you can stand to store it, and move it. (It is a lot, though you can always share on Buy Nothing or your neighborhood Facebook group.) It's valuable, and FREEEEEEE!

Question about ChipDrop -- can you specify at all what kind of wood you want?  I'm not fussy, only there are loads of walnut trees around here and I would not want to get walnut mulch. 

LOVE the idea.  Great use of resources. 

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2019, 07:26:16 AM »
ChipDrop is the best!

So our realtor gave us a gift card to a local nursery as a 'happy closing on your first house' gift,  which I spent 75% of today. Got some tools I need and a few packets of seeds (no, really, only 3 packets of seeds!). Trying to decide if it's too early to start some seeds. 

*sigh*

Some seeds can be started much sooner than others.  Work backwards from your frost free date from the instructions on the seed packet.  Hot peppers can only get nice and hot here if they are started around now and our frost free date is the fourth week of May.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »

Question about ChipDrop -- can you specify at all what kind of wood you want?  I'm not fussy, only there are loads of walnut trees around here and I would not want to get walnut mulch. 

LOVE the idea.  Great use of resources.

You can specify if you don't want certain species. It might limit the response you get, especially if there are a lot of walnut trees in your area (and maybe loads are mixed a lot? I don't know.) I decided to risk it and not be specific, but there aren't a ton of walnut trees here.

You can can also choose to accept logs, but unless you have a giant chipper or want to split wood forever you want NO LOGS. They can be truly giant (I have seen pictures). When you sign up the website walks you through it (it's a pretty basic site). I think you have to "renew" your interest every 90 days if you don't get a drop in that time, and one you get a drop you are taken off the list (but can put yourself back on) - I guess the reason is that so people don't get chips unexpectedly or are overloaded.

Anyway, it's a good deal!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:46 AM »
ChipDrop is the best!

*sigh*

Some seeds can be started much sooner than others.  Work backwards from your frost free date from the instructions on the seed packet.  Hot peppers can only get nice and hot here if they are started around now and our frost free date is the fourth week of May.

I will be starting my peppers in mid-February, for mid-June planting - we are a couple of weeks behind you, my house is on the cool side, and the seedlings grow slowly.  Tomatoes I always want to start too soon - those I start about 7 weeks before planting out, and save milk boxes (1 or 2 L) and transplant to them so I can bury the stems and get a bigger root system.  It is always a guess, last year we had a long cold wet spring and the heat-lovers went into the garden late, and were still unhappy about the cold.

krmit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »
ChipDrop is the best!

*sigh*

I will be starting my peppers in mid-February, for mid-June planting - we are a couple of weeks behind you, my house is on the cool side, and the seedlings grow slowly.  Tomatoes I always want to start too soon - those I start about 7 weeks before planting out, and save milk boxes (1 or 2 L) and transplant to them so I can bury the stems and get a bigger root system.  It is always a guess, last year we had a long cold wet spring and the heat-lovers went into the garden late, and were still unhappy about the cold.

Yeah, last year I started my tomatoes in early February and it was just a hair too early - they got pretty rootbound before I could transfer them into the ground and just didn't do spectacularly. I usually just buy my pepper starts - I only do one or two plants a season.

I have a bunch of lavender seeds, which take forever to get going...maybe I'll get some more of those started just to get my hands in some dirt.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2019, 09:08:21 PM »
* Husband moved 15 or 20 loads of the wood chips today. Whoo!
* As usual, composted the stomach contents of the robot vacuum, caught food scraps out of the sink with our stainless steel strainers for future compost, and added the coffee grounds to our planting beds.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2019, 05:41:15 AM »
For the chicken owners -- Upthread there was mention of blood spots in chicken eggs.  That is a weird coincidence because we've had chickens for 7 years now, and I've only seen one blood spot in that whole time -- until this week, when I had TWO.  And they weren't spots either -- they were like blood vessels, long.   I googled that and read that sometimes vessels can come away during egg formation and be encased in the egg.   

I can tell from the egg shell color that these were laid by one of our two year old hens, so not young and not old either.  They did just start laying again, though, after their brief 'winter break' . . .  Maybe that has something to do with it.  I'll keep an eye on them, but we've got 7 two-year-olds so it will be hard to figure out which bird it is.  Whoever she is, I hope she's ok.   

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »
I've been shopping for tilapia to stock my mini-aquaponics set up.  Need fast growers because they are only going to be harvested in the Fall/Oct so thinking they need to be in the stock tank by early March. Might need to keep it heated somehow since it's still chilly here in zone 6B then. Thinking that I might enclosed the tank with a frame and UV resistant plastic, sort of a mini-greenhouse, to keep it warm during the day. The plants won't go into until late April to fully get the aquaponics part going.

Any suggestions on how to heat it? I wasn't thinking of heating the water but I'm open to ideas.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
This morning I went through all my seed packets and grouped them by starting date, separating out the root vegetables, which will be direct-sown.

My first group will be started Feb 1, with March 1 being the biggest seeding event. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2019, 05:12:07 PM »
* Got all the saffron crocus bulbs planted out before the rain begins tomorrow.

* Scattered some cover-crop seed and some California poppy seed

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2019, 06:42:31 PM »
I've been shopping for tilapia to stock my mini-aquaponics set up.  Need fast growers because they are only going to be harvested in the Fall/Oct so thinking they need to be in the stock tank by early March. Might need to keep it heated somehow since it's still chilly here in zone 6B then. Thinking that I might enclosed the tank with a frame and UV resistant plastic, sort of a mini-greenhouse, to keep it warm during the day. The plants won't go into until late April to fully get the aquaponics part going.

Any suggestions on how to heat it? I wasn't thinking of heating the water but I'm open to ideas.

Ooh @Indio, that's a cool project.  I don't have any knowledge to share, but am very interested in aquaponics, so I'll be interested to hear about your final set up. This is a naive question, but could you just use a stock tank water heater?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:05 AM »
Though I currently have no garden beds to plant them in (contaminated soil in my yard was scraped away, long story), I could start thinking about starting some seeds. Last summerr I bought a grow light on sale, and it has been sitting in my garage since.

The amount of work it will take to rebuild our yard has been depressing me, but maybe it will help to break the mammoth task down into steps:
1. keep eye out for broad flat plastic clamshell packaging that I could use as seed trays
2. keep eye out for shelving to use as my seed starting center
3. spend 15 minutes planning the hardscape for the area that will eventually be my vegetable beds (it's currently a curved slope of solid rock)

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »

Ooh @Indio, that's a cool project.  I don't have any knowledge to share, but am very interested in aquaponics, so I'll be interested to hear about your final set up. This is a naive question, but could you just use a stock tank water heater?
[/quote]

@Trifele that's a good idea to use a stock tank water heater. Checked out Tractor Supply to see all the different models but can't find anything on temps. Will likely have to call and find someone knowledgeable to get questions answered. I don't want the water to get to warm too quickly or have will have to install a timer for night when it gets cold.

BTW, I started following #anarchyapiaries on Instagram. He winters in Miami area with his hives and was just at a bee conference in SC. Big debate started on one of his posts about how hobbyist beekeepers don't help the bees... I stayed out of it, but it's an interesting thread.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:11 AM »
Spent the evening with my latest seed catalogue because we all had to be super quiet and not use any bandwidth while son recorded high resolution videos for his university application.  Tonight, while he applies to choice number 2 I will bring my seeds upstairs and delete those that I have a good supply of and write a list of those that I need to research the length of viability for.