Author Topic: Planting / Growing your own 2018  (Read 94119 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Planting / Growing your own 2018
« Reply #400 on: June 05, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
On the tulle, I’m letting y’all (and some folks in FB groups) be guinea pigs for me before buying any, lol.

huh I just realized you changed your name/picture, hah

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #401 on: June 05, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »
On the tulle, I’m letting y’all (and some folks in FB groups) be guinea pigs for me before buying any, lol.

huh I just realized you changed your name/picture, hah

Selfie with a bunny.  Love it!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
Damage on herbs and other plants from the 4 lined plant bug - is wait and see if predators show up a valid approach with this pest in your experience? Or should I consider spraying something to keep damage from getting worse.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: June 06, 2018, 09:52:29 PM »
Ugh, I put my beloved tomato plants outside finally (our last frost date is June 2nd), and I'm worried about them. Because we are at such high altitude, the sun is really strong, and the leaves got burned in the first couple of days. I weaned them slowly by putting them outside for a few days before I permanently put them out, but it still seems like being out 24/7 is affecting the much worse. It's so hard to garden here! I'm actually having a lot of success with baby greens, chard, and herbs...but everything else is struggling. My peppers have barely grown in 2 weeks, the kale is questionable, and spinach is pretty stunted as well. It's a little heart breaking to see plants struggle after caring for them inside all spring...it makes me want a greenhouse, where I can keep them protected all year round

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2018, 04:45:41 AM »
Ugh, I put my beloved tomato plants outside finally (our last frost date is June 2nd), and I'm worried about them. Because we are at such high altitude, the sun is really strong, and the leaves got burned in the first couple of days. I weaned them slowly by putting them outside for a few days before I permanently put them out, but it still seems like being out 24/7 is affecting the much worse. It's so hard to garden here! I'm actually having a lot of success with baby greens, chard, and herbs...but everything else is struggling. My peppers have barely grown in 2 weeks, the kale is questionable, and spinach is pretty stunted as well. It's a little heart breaking to see plants struggle after caring for them inside all spring...it makes me want a greenhouse, where I can keep them protected all year round

I feel for you @mountain mustache. I've struggled with sunburn at various times as well.  I've had some luck by suspending utility/safety fencing (that plastic mesh stuff like snow fencing, only it's green) above them as a shade 'cloth'.  Sometimes one layer and sometimes two, slightly off set.   It takes the edge off the sun . . .  I've got my three one year old paw paw trees and 10 newborn grafted apple trees under that stuff right now.  The paw paws had sunburn last summer, so I'm nursing them through it this year.  So far so good. 

I prefer the safety fencing to any kind of cloth or netting. Much easier to work with.  Good luck!   

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2018, 04:55:27 AM »
In my limited experience with sunburned plants, they seem to adapt much better the smaller you put them out. I used to have lots of issues with basil getting sunburnt but now I put them out when they get their first true leaves and are still very small, no issues.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2018, 06:30:55 AM »
@RetiredAt63 you have way better weather than me!  overnight 6, 7, 9, for the next three nights!

We may drown instead.  We had already had 1.4" of rain when I left for Ottawa, and I drove through 2 downpours - I heard people referring to them as monsoons.  It will be interesting to check the rain gauge when I get back.
oops I take that back.

Total 2" in 2 days.  Plus we continue to be cloudy and showery.  My baby plants are not thrilled with the cooler temperatures, but none have died.   It's 13 now, and a high of 20.  This is June?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2018, 11:00:20 AM »
We planted a bunch of seedling last week and sadly, the swiss chard has been munched on by some critter...perhaps the same thing that has been eating our radish tops!?

The kale & sui choi took well and we also made an excellent parsley/chive pesto last week. So far, gardening success! Patio tomatoes look relatively happy and lemonbalm is off & running (in a positive way).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #408 on: June 08, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »
Harvested the rest of the cherries from our one tree -- another two quarts. 

Picked the first raspberries and blueberries of the year.  Happy happy, joy joy!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: June 10, 2018, 05:35:57 AM »
Had to throw a rabbit (a young one) out of the garden yesterday…. how they get through our fence is a mystery but the poor thing couldn’t figure out how to get out so it obviously was confused how to get out, too.

Will have to shore up the fences AGAIN. Though I think it's because we have brick along most of the bottom of the fence line but since we expanded it, we don't everywhere yet.

But I really don't want rabbits eating our asparagus and other garden plants. Ugh.

Bright side is I got to inspect all the peppers/tomatoes while chasing the rabbit around and they look good :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2018, 06:56:23 AM »
I have wild rabbits in my garden all the time and they rarely do any damage to the veggies. Mostly they nibble on dandelions, other weeds, sometimes my perennial flowers. Maybe it’s the sheer scale of my garden but they’ve never done noticeable damage. Squirrels are honestly the biggest nuisance, stealing strawberries and just disturbing seedlings with their digging around.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
I have wild rabbits in my garden all the time and they rarely do any damage to the veggies. Mostly they nibble on dandelions, other weeds, sometimes my perennial flowers. Maybe it’s the sheer scale of my garden but they’ve never done noticeable damage. Squirrels are honestly the biggest nuisance, stealing strawberries and just disturbing seedlings with their digging around.

Have you planted beans or peas?

There are a variety of plants they don't really touch (tomatoes/peppers for example). But I'd be impressed if they didn't wreck beans/peas if you had them planted from seeds.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #412 on: June 10, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
So envious of the folks who have cherries and berries.  I always get a serious case of climate zone envy at this time of year.

I have been harvesting basil and greens like crazy.  I am definitely doing a repeat of the basil seeding in March.  I think I can be a little less generous on the seeds per cell or maybe I will use a bigger sized tray.  I am going to ask for LED grow lights for my birthday because the ballasts are shot on my hand-me-down florescent ones.  There are really fancy LED tubes and I have table space for six flats so I want to have enough light to blast'em all. 

My sweetie helped me put wood chips down on the pathways in my garden. Hopefully this will help the organics in the soil over the long term and with moisture retention in the short term.
I took the floating row cover off the peppers because they are in bloom.  Tomatoes have fruit.  So do some of the cukes.  I think that I have overseeded pumpkins and gourds.  Between re-seeding for chipmunk feasting and having really old seed - I have now have a huge number of seedlings.  I put them in an area that has a lot of perennial weeds so hopefully they just go nuts and I will figure out the mess in the fall.

I have had the chipmunks at bay from the peas and the pumpkins, squash.  They have now moved into the green house.  Not sure what to do about this.  The chickens have gotten in once more but not for a couple of days.  Bunnies are staying away so far.  Hopefully things are good for now. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2018, 07:09:18 AM »
Does anyone have recommendations for something to deter the critters that keep munching on my chard and kale? They don't touch the baby greens, or peppers, but are enjoying many feasts of chard leaves.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #414 on: June 10, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »

There are a variety of plants they don't really touch (tomatoes/peppers for example). But I'd be impressed if they didn't wreck beans/peas if you had them planted from seeds.

Yep. And I have seen them literally run right past those beds, so they’re fully aware they exist. Peas are marginal this year both because of the bed I’ve got them planted in and the crazy heat a while back didn’t help. Beans look very healthy.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #415 on: June 10, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »

Yep. And I have seen them literally run right past those beds, so they’re fully aware they exist. Peas are marginal this year both because of the bed I’ve got them planted in and the crazy heat a while back didn’t help. Beans look very healthy.

I want your bunnies in our neighborhood!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #416 on: June 10, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »

Yep. And I have seen them literally run right past those beds, so they’re fully aware they exist.

Maybe your rabbits have passed the word to their wild cousins that they should stay far, far away from you or they will be dinner, lol

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #417 on: June 10, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »

Yep. And I have seen them literally run right past those beds, so they’re fully aware they exist.

Maybe your rabbits have passed the word to their wild cousins that they should stay far, far away from you or they will be dinner, lol

Lol. Funnily enough I’ve never had wild rabbit!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #418 on: June 10, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
Some little asshole critter took a FU bite out of my first ripe strawberry. I hope it was delicious. Grrrrr. I have rabbit fencing around the bed but I don't have any netting on them. (And I couldn't go to Joanns for tulle this weekend because I ended up having to work at my stupid job instead.)

Someone in one of the gardening Facebook groups said it might be pillbugs, which I do have in abundance in the community bed. That it might not be 1 bite missing, but the result of lots of tiny chewing. Ewwww! Not sure what to do about them. Things I've read say to avoid excess moisture in the garden; as we're currently in a Noah's Ark situation here, that's not possible. I also read about putting out a dish of beer for them, but again, that's not going to work when it is freaking pouring all the time. We aren't allowed to use pesticides in the community garden. Hmmm.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #419 on: June 10, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »
Some little asshole critter took a FU bite out of my first ripe strawberry.

Chipmunks?  Robins?   I used to find robins UNDER my netting, eating strawberries.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #420 on: June 10, 2018, 06:11:02 PM »
Robins and squirrels decimate my strawberries. I’ve mostly given up on them except as a pretty groundcover around my fruit trees and berries.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #421 on: June 10, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
I used to find robins UNDER my netting, eating strawberries.

What little assholes!!

I've never had to protect the strawberries before, though the birds went after my blueberries. Maybe the weird weather is making them forage in new places.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: June 10, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »
The vermin chipmunks here eat strawberries a day or three before they are ripe.  I am hoping that just having a large number of plants = some for me and the family.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: June 10, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »
My zucchini are turning yellow. :( From some googling it sounds like the most likely culprit is lack of calcium. There's also a bunch of aphids on the plant. I tried a natural bug spray and it didn't seem to do much. Is it worth getting some ladybugs? Or any other suggestions for getting rid of aphids?

I planted two tomato plants, and intentionally got  different varieties so I could see which did better, but I didn't bother to research the varieties and  didn't realize one was a cherry tomato plant until I wondered why the tomatoes weren't growing as quickly as my other plant, and then finally saw some ripening lol. We picked our first few cherry tomatoes yesterday, and they were delicious, so it was a pleasant surprise..

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #424 on: June 11, 2018, 05:23:35 AM »
@nessness  - I love those kind of gardening surprises.  I have never learned enough about what deficiencies cause what symptom.  I don't think you can go wrong with a little fertilizer.
My experience with beneficial insects is also very limited.  How do you get your ladybugs to stick around and eat the aphids in front of them?  How often did you dose with the spray?  I tend to use a 5% dish soap with water in my old windex bottle and do a number of closely spaced applications (every three days for a couple of weeks) to keep them critters in check. 

I sunk a bucket into the ground for mint containment in my developing herb garden and then filled it with soil and some of the invading mint from my house. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #425 on: June 11, 2018, 05:51:22 AM »
My zucchini are turning yellow. :( From some googling it sounds like the most likely culprit is lack of calcium. There's also a bunch of aphids on the plant. I tried a natural bug spray and it didn't seem to do much. Is it worth getting some ladybugs? Or any other suggestions for getting rid of aphids?

I planted two tomato plants, and intentionally got  different varieties so I could see which did better, but I didn't bother to research the varieties and  didn't realize one was a cherry tomato plant until I wondered why the tomatoes weren't growing as quickly as my other plant, and then finally saw some ripening lol. We picked our first few cherry tomatoes yesterday, and they were delicious, so it was a pleasant surprise..

On the zukes, it could be low calcium but in my experience more likely low overall soil fertility. Some quick release fertilizer of your choice would be a good option. (Not familiar with conventional products, in organic I think you’re looking at kelp, fish emulsion, bloodmeat, etc.) No harm in adding some calcium, though. Crushed antacid tablets are the fastest release, followed by oyster shell or bone meal, then crushed up eggshells.

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »
Some photos from our organic farm. The lans is about 0.4 hectares and its very much a slope. We got 33 sqm small off grid house with solar panels and rain water collection and filtration system. Right now we have about 150 fruit trees growing and we expecting to really start getting some serious fruits in 2-3 years from now. This year only some: longan, bananas and limes. The mango there is from our neighbor who we swop fruits with occasionally.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0i532ODWGaHmho

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #427 on: June 12, 2018, 05:19:40 AM »
Wow Finntastic -- that is cool, thanks for sharing.  Are you in Thailand did you say?

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #428 on: June 12, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
They got 2 more strawberries. I have not yet been able to taste one! Grrrr.I am not totally convinced that it's birds or chipmunks; that part of the garden is crawling with the damn pill bugs.

It isn't going to rain today - first day in I don't even know how many - so maybe stuff will dry out and I can work on eradicating them. The garden looked absolutely drenched yesterday. :(

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #429 on: June 12, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »
I had to water today - it is sunny and windy and we have had so little rain.  Things pop out of the soil right after I water.  I gave everything a drink on Sunday morning and decided to do again this morning because it was beautiful growing weather - and a bunch of stiff just came up.

Did you folks know that the flowers on sage are gorgeous?  I did not.  I picked me a sage bouquet. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #430 on: June 12, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
I had to water today - it is sunny and windy and we have had so little rain.  Things pop out of the soil right after I water.  I gave everything a drink on Sunday morning and decided to do again this morning because it was beautiful growing weather - and a bunch of stiff just came up.

Did you folks know that the flowers on sage are gorgeous?  I did not.  I picked me a sage bouquet.

I need to add culinary sage next year, I’m starting to use it a lot for sausage making, but there are several common ornamental perennials in the sage family. Many of the herbs have very pretty flowers, actually.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: June 12, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »
Hmm, I might have to add sage at some point. I don't have much space so I am trying to cut down on herbs that smell or look nice but that I won't actually eat (I am looking at you, lemon balm that smells wonderful but made truly vile tea!), but it would be nice to have something that flowers nicely. Good for bees, too, though I've seen a few bumblebees in the backyard already.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #432 on: June 12, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »
Do you think leaf lettuce would work in a smoothie instead of baby spinach? I’ve got an abundance of it currently.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: June 12, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »

On the zukes, it could be low calcium but in my experience more likely low overall soil fertility. Some quick release fertilizer of your choice would be a good option. (Not familiar with conventional products, in organic I think you’re looking at kelp, fish emulsion, bloodmeat, etc.) No harm in adding some calcium, though. Crushed antacid tablets are the fastest release, followed by oyster shell or bone meal, then crushed up eggshells.
Thanks!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: June 12, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »
They got 2 more strawberries. I have not yet been able to taste one! Grrrr.I am not totally convinced that it's birds or chipmunks; that part of the garden is crawling with the damn pill bugs.
I put a fake owl overlooking my strawberries and it seems to be working so far - I had a couple of strawberries disappear before I put it out but none since.

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #435 on: June 14, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
Wow Finntastic -- that is cool, thanks for sharing.  Are you in Thailand did you say?

Yes in Northern Thailand. Chiang Mai to be precise

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: June 15, 2018, 06:31:53 AM »
Decided to add some dahlias to my garden.  I am loving having cutting flowers for the house so I got some of the extras from my dad.  Hopefully I have enough sun here.  Maybe I will stuff them at the big garden. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #437 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »
Do you think leaf lettuce would work in a smoothie instead of baby spinach? I’ve got an abundance of it currently.

Can you try and report back? I'd like to know since my lettuce is growing well, I don't grow spinach, and my kale will be ages before it's ready.

Plan to try it soon, just keep forgetting.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »
Lettuce smoothie was gross. Too bitter.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #439 on: June 17, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
Picked more berries.  The various bushes are putting out about a pint every other day -- perfect for fresh eating. :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
Picked more berries.  The various bushes are putting out about a pint every other day -- perfect fo r fresh eating. :)
so jealous.

I am having some great production of oysters.   

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »
Picked more berries.  The various bushes are putting out about a pint every other day -- perfect fo r fresh eating. :)
so jealous.

I am having some great production of oysters.

My turn to be jealous!  I haven't yet tried mushrooms -- that setup looks awesome!  Did you make that yourself?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
@Trifele I did a workshop on growing mushrooms that included one of the buckets.  They demonstrated making them.  Made the rest myself. 

Pasturized the straw myself but bought the spawn.  It was 55 for 5lbs of shiitake and Oyster.   I only used a little more than half.  I had no more space.  I ended up giving it away to a very grateful person who can make good use of it. 

The lids are the sap bucket covers. 

One of my jobs today is to get going on pasturizing more material so that I can keep the production going for longer than my workshop one.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
It is hotter than hell this weekend and my peppers are loving it. Some are finally flowering! Some of the tomatoes are finally flowering, too. I feel like everything is running so far behind this year.

I bought tulle to put around the raspberries and blueberries, and it was SO much easier to handle than bird netting. It looks a little weird, though. Let's see if it works to keep the birds off!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #444 on: June 18, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »
Ugh. Tomato blight and only mid-June?

:(

Guess I'll hope the plants make more leaves than I can prune...

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: June 20, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »
Had a bunny invasion - so refortified my fencing.
And tomato wilt.  Going to remove three plants and weep and hope that no more succumb.
Oyster mushrooms got away from me and they shed spores so now I have to figure out if this was good or bad or neutral - but later - must get back to paid work the to do list is way long!.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: June 20, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »
I planted peppers several weeks ago and they look healthy but they've barely grown and haven't flowered. Time to give up on them?

It's been hot and my tomato plants are looking a little sad, but the cherry one is producing like crazy. My 3-year-old loves the cherry tomatoes; I'll usually pick the ripe ones in the evening after she goes to bed and she'll ask to eat them for breakfast.

Can we talk about growing animals here too? Because I bought 14 chicks and 3 Guinea fowl the other day. I wasn't planning to get that many but someone was selling them together with a coop. We put a fair amount of work in securing the coop against predators.

The coop isn't really big enough for all of them, or at least won't be when they're full size (although we'll need to give away the roosters when we know which ones they are so we won't have 17 forever) plus the little Silkies are getting trampled by the bigger chicks and Guinea fowl. Luckily my neighbor offered us a spare coop she has, it just needs a new roof - planning to do that on Friday.

A family of wild turkeys has taken up residence in our yard this week - I'm guessing they're looking for spilled chicken feed. DH keeps joking that he wants to catch a couple of the babies and put them in with the chickens.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #447 on: June 20, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
Coop size recommendations depend a lot whether they are confined to the coop/run all the time or if they have additional space during the day. Typically the recommendation is 4 sqft per bird minimum if permanently confined, 1 sqft if it’s nighttime only. Personally, I think those are low, but even those numbers are way more than they get in industrial flocks. Even “humane certified” flocks.

My flock is a mixed age flock where half insist on roosting in a different spot but my coop currently is about 28 sqft, there’s a mostly secure run (need to fix a few broken things...knowing me I won’t get to them until something gets in and kills a bird, just keep forgetting) that’s 300 sqft, and then they have my whole fenced backyard of additional 600 sqft during the day. For only 13 birds it’s overkill, the run alone. We may try a flock of 20-25 and then have enough eggs to sell. 13 at peak laying rates is only enough for our own needs, plus the occasional gifted dozen as thank you gifts.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #448 on: June 20, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Chickens!  My favorite part of the "garden."  :)

I agree that the 4 sqft rule of thumb is low.  We have a mixed flock of 13.  Coop is 50 sqft and we have a secure attached run of about 200 sqft.  The lucky ladies free range in our 1.5 acre fenced pasture/orchard during the day.

If they were permanently confined to just the coop and run, the 250 sf would be ok, but not ideal for 13 IMO.  When we go away for a long weekend, we leave them locked up and the lower ranking hens sometimes suffer a bit.  We have come back at times to find that feather picking and bullying has occurred. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »
TWO perfect strawberries, untouched by any critters, were harvested yesterday! I didn't put anything on them. Maybe the excessive heat killed or deterred whatever was eating them?