Author Topic: Planting / Growing your own 2018  (Read 25869 times)

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
Re: Planting / Growing your own 2018
« Reply #500 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:35 AM »
Well, I believe my oregano may be dying.  A lot of the leaves are turning brown at the edges, then gradually falling off.  There is still a little new growth, so I tried trimming back the dead stems to give the new ones more space/light, we'll see how it goes.  The rosemary is showing a tiny bit of the same browning, but just at the edges of a few leaves, not to the point of falling off or inhibiting growth.  Not sure if it's due to the excessive heat we've been having, or too much sun (these are supposed to be full sun varietals, but who knows?).  I don't think it's lack of water, I've been watering pretty vigorously.  Ah well, we got at least one batch of incredible pizza sauce from the fresh oregano leaves.  If it doesn't make it, we'll try something else next year.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #501 on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
Well, I believe my oregano may be dying.  A lot of the leaves are turning brown at the edges, then gradually falling off.  There is still a little new growth, so I tried trimming back the dead stems to give the new ones more space/light, we'll see how it goes.  The rosemary is showing a tiny bit of the same browning, but just at the edges of a few leaves, not to the point of falling off or inhibiting growth.  Not sure if it's due to the excessive heat we've been having, or too much sun (these are supposed to be full sun varietals, but who knows?).  I don't think it's lack of water, I've been watering pretty vigorously.  Ah well, we got at least one batch of incredible pizza sauce from the fresh oregano leaves.  If it doesn't make it, we'll try something else next year.

How hot?

You may be overwatering potentially. Both of those are native to the Mediterranean so are used to drought conditions.
I kill fluffy bunnies and feed them to my children.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: July 04, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
So much goodness coming out of the gardens!

I harvested a bunch of cilantro and 4 lettuce leaves last night.  It's a start...

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: July 04, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
@nessness -- so glad you are having fun with your chickens!  They really are great.  We have 13 right now, which is way too many for our own needs, but I sell the excess eggs so that's a win.

I also got a small handful of gooseberries from the baby bushes I planted this spring.  The Hinnomaki variety was the clear winner over the Pixwell.  Bigger berries, tons more flavor.

13 is how many we have an even at summer laying rates itís barely enough for my family (of 5), lol.

Hinnomaki Red seems to be the winner here too. Hinnomaki Yellow is not nearly as good. I forget the other ones I have here.

Wow @furrychickens -- you all eat a lot of eggs!  We are a family of four, but only three egg eaters.  We eat less than a dozen a week.  In the summer we are swimming in eggs; I sell 4 to 5 dozen a week.  I'll say this -- That old rule of thumb of one chicken per person in the family definitely does not apply to you!

Yes, that's what I have -- the Hinnomaki Red gooseberries.  They're yummy. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:40:21 PM by Trifele »

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #504 on: July 04, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
I typically eat 7-8 eggs a day just myself. 6 for breakfast and 1-2 hard boiled later as snacks.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #505 on: July 05, 2018, 06:20:21 AM »
Picked a whole lot of greens, herbs, shelling peas, snow peas and a cuke. 

Tomatoes are definitely a bust.  Plan worked out for next year:  Grow crop in pots.  Some pots in the greenhouse, others in the garden.  Potatoes are also starting to succumb so the fungus is widespread.  Potatoes will be grown in towers in new soil and compost and manure.  It is definitely making me very sad to see everything shrivel up and die.  Rona has 99 cent bags of black earth so I am going to load up on them and a friend is giving me all the large pots I want.  Now I need to source the plastic for solarization. 

I have got to work on the fencing again.  The individual row covers don't work once the plants get too tall.  So I am thinking of a strategy for a more secure perimeter fence against bunnies and a temporary seed protection against chipmunks in the spring.  Chipmunks only seem to eat the cucurbits and peas.

The fertility of the soil is really bad at one end of the garden.  That is going to get the entire contents of the chicken house.  The chickens are free during the day so it isn't a huge amount of manure, but between the compost pile and it - that should be the boost that is needed.  I am also going to get all the leaves this fall that I can.  With the perimeter fenced, I should be able to contain them. I am hoping that boosting the organics in the soil and getting a richer biome going will help with fungus.

Had another flush of oysters.  Yippee. 
Seeing the possibilities

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #506 on: July 05, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »
Sorry about the disease damage :(

Chickens actually deposit half their manure load overnight, so thatís actually a lot of manure :)

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #507 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:51 AM »
Sorry about the disease damage :(
thanks for the condolences.

Chickens actually deposit half their manure load overnight, so thatís actually a lot of manure :)
I did not know that about chickens.  7 chickens producing it....
BTW you eat a lot of eggs. 
Seeing the possibilities

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #508 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:04 AM »
Hello all! I'm suuuuper late to the party, but this year I grew tomatoes, peppers and broccoli from seed to moderate success, though it was definitely a learning experience. We have clay soil so I built four raised beds on a slope (OMG). Two of them got finished, the other two will have to wait. I bit off a little more than I can chew by myself. They also have trellises on one end. Also created a large bed for tomatoes.

In total:

Variegated tomatoes (from Seed Savers Exchange, no idea what they actually are) +

Cherry tomatoes = 10 plants

1 Roma

3 San Marzanos

3 broccolis (they won't form heads - I think it's the heat since we went from snow to 90 degrees in a week)

2 patches of dill

1 clump of chives

4 patches of thyme

A metric ton of basil :)

3 sq feet of English cucumbers

3 square feet of pole beans (currently getting munched by bean leaf beetles, neem oil isn't cutting it)

1 sq foot of calendula (supposed to be a good companion for broccoli?)

Rhubarb

2 garbage cans of potatoes (one is doing well, the other not so much)

6 pepper plants (seeds saved from various farmers market peppers, all mixed together - could be bell peppers, could be hot peppers, not sure yet; leaves are looking pale, but there are several little peppers growing)

Most of the tomatoes got the following treatment in their hole: shrimp shells, eggs shells, two aspirin, fish emulsion, and mykos on the roots. And now they're topping their metal cages, lol.

It's only a matter of time before we get chickens ...

There are lots of pictures on my IG (Steph_Lawton)

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #509 on: July 10, 2018, 10:55:02 PM »
Anyone here experienced growing cannabis outdoors? I've used to grow indoors back in Europe, but now in Thailand with the legalization coming (medical in 9 months, recreational following probably soon) would be interested to try to grow some thai sticks. I have half a hectare slope land that could probably fit few hundred plants, but I would not be able to look after them on daily basis, it would most likely be visit once a week to water them etc...

Any weed experts here?

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: July 11, 2018, 03:39:38 AM »
Anyone here experienced growing cannabis outdoors? I've used to grow indoors back in Europe, but now in Thailand with the legalization coming (medical in 9 months, recreational following probably soon) would be interested to try to grow some thai sticks. I have half a hectare slope land that could probably fit few hundred plants, but I would not be able to look after them on daily basis, it would most likely be visit once a week to water them etc...

Any weed experts here?

I've never grown it, but would be interested to try as well.  Our neighbor up the hill has a patch of a few dozen plants  -- seems like it can grow well here.  I just did a quick Google search and with the expanding legalization there are lots of how-to articles on growing.  Seems like the most challenging part might be getting good seeds, if you aren't yet in a full-legal location. 

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: July 11, 2018, 06:32:55 AM »
Could try asking in the main forum. I may be wrong, but I swear there are at least a few professional MJ growers on the boards.

There are also numerous dedicated forums for growing cannabis. I remember ending up on several when researching grow lights years ago.

I donít know how different the strains are between industrial hemp and MJ for smoking/edibles, but there may be more data available on outdoor cultivation for hemp as that used to be and is becoming again an important industrial scale crop. My state used to be one of the biggest hemp producers in the world before the legality changed.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #512 on: Today at 06:40:40 AM »
It's yet another race against blight this year for our tomatoes.

I restaked them all after a storm knocked them over. They are giant plants right now - most are 5+ feet already, if not taller. Blight is spreading but there are quite literally hundreds of tomatoes on the plants right now. Our tomatillos are going nuts too, if we get a fraction of as many as are on those plants it will be a bumper crop.

Asparagus is mostly up, will be a next year crop. There is crabgrass all over it :( I'm not sure how to best get rid of that... was hoping those ferns would get big enough to just crowd out the weeds but not all of them are getting very big for some reason.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: Today at 10:40:29 AM »
I'm harvesting a handful of blueberries daily. Lettuce all finally keeled over, but I went to pull the peas, which looked like shit in the heat, and found a few more pea pods. Yay! I pulled a few garlic bulbs the other day, and two small carrots. My basil is doing pretty well (other than one Thai basil that dropped dead suddenly) so I'm going to make a big batch of pesto today.

I'm going to have to restake one of my tomatoes that is busting out of its cage, and give everything in the backyard a good haircut because it's starting to be impossible to walk between my small raised bed and my tomatoes in huge pots.

All tomatoes so far are starting to make tomatoes other than the Brandywines (which are flowering but not doing jack shit otherwise) and the Nebraska Wedding, which I've had problems with from the start - started from seed, didn't sprout. Started again, sprouted but died. Third try resulted in a plant, but it seems puny and unhappy and isn't flowering. Not sure what's up with that; it's a new to me variety that I got free seeds for. One plant (Inca Jewels, also a new variety to me) had some issues with blossom end rot but the new tomatoes that are forming seem OK. I've been fertilizing and adding some ground up eggshells for calcium. I find that the Roma-like varieties, which this one seems to be, have way more problems with rot than other "normal" varieties or cherry varieties, does anyone else find that to be true?

I think I have blight too in the community garden - either that or some other fungus. Most of the tomato plants in people's beds seem to have it. That's a down side of a community garden - the beds are so close together that I feel like if one person gets a disease, it spreads pretty fast. So far I've been keeping it at bay by removing the diseased leaves and using organic copper fungicide. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Yesterday my local Fancy Garden Center was having a sale so I finally replaced the thyme that didn't make it through the winter, and got a citronella plant because we have a serious mosquito problem on our back deck. I'm not quite sure what to do with it - the garden center said it was pretty easy care but they said that about the petunias that I killed too, so who knows. I don't seem to do well with plants that do not make food.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: Today at 11:21:27 AM »
I'm quite unhappy with my year of growing virtually nothing, so I'm going to start figuring on how I could grow more next year while living in two different places. I should at least be able to grow container tomatoes and herbs in my atrium if I could figure out the water situation. But they need a lot of water there with the sun on an enclosed south-facing space, and our water pressure is high and tends to wear out drip systems fast in spite of our whole-house regulator. More contemplation is needed.