Author Topic: Planting / Growing your own 2018  (Read 37451 times)

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
Re: Planting / Growing your own 2018
« Reply #500 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:35 AM »
Well, I believe my oregano may be dying.  A lot of the leaves are turning brown at the edges, then gradually falling off.  There is still a little new growth, so I tried trimming back the dead stems to give the new ones more space/light, we'll see how it goes.  The rosemary is showing a tiny bit of the same browning, but just at the edges of a few leaves, not to the point of falling off or inhibiting growth.  Not sure if it's due to the excessive heat we've been having, or too much sun (these are supposed to be full sun varietals, but who knows?).  I don't think it's lack of water, I've been watering pretty vigorously.  Ah well, we got at least one batch of incredible pizza sauce from the fresh oregano leaves.  If it doesn't make it, we'll try something else next year.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #501 on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
Well, I believe my oregano may be dying.  A lot of the leaves are turning brown at the edges, then gradually falling off.  There is still a little new growth, so I tried trimming back the dead stems to give the new ones more space/light, we'll see how it goes.  The rosemary is showing a tiny bit of the same browning, but just at the edges of a few leaves, not to the point of falling off or inhibiting growth.  Not sure if it's due to the excessive heat we've been having, or too much sun (these are supposed to be full sun varietals, but who knows?).  I don't think it's lack of water, I've been watering pretty vigorously.  Ah well, we got at least one batch of incredible pizza sauce from the fresh oregano leaves.  If it doesn't make it, we'll try something else next year.

How hot?

You may be overwatering potentially. Both of those are native to the Mediterranean so are used to drought conditions.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: July 04, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
So much goodness coming out of the gardens!

I harvested a bunch of cilantro and 4 lettuce leaves last night.  It's a start...

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: July 04, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
@nessness -- so glad you are having fun with your chickens!  They really are great.  We have 13 right now, which is way too many for our own needs, but I sell the excess eggs so that's a win.

I also got a small handful of gooseberries from the baby bushes I planted this spring.  The Hinnomaki variety was the clear winner over the Pixwell.  Bigger berries, tons more flavor.

13 is how many we have an even at summer laying rates itís barely enough for my family (of 5), lol.

Hinnomaki Red seems to be the winner here too. Hinnomaki Yellow is not nearly as good. I forget the other ones I have here.

Wow @furrychickens -- you all eat a lot of eggs!  We are a family of four, but only three egg eaters.  We eat less than a dozen a week.  In the summer we are swimming in eggs; I sell 4 to 5 dozen a week.  I'll say this -- That old rule of thumb of one chicken per person in the family definitely does not apply to you!

Yes, that's what I have -- the Hinnomaki Red gooseberries.  They're yummy. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:40:21 PM by Trifele »

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #504 on: July 04, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
I typically eat 7-8 eggs a day just myself. 6 for breakfast and 1-2 hard boiled later as snacks.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #505 on: July 05, 2018, 06:20:21 AM »
Picked a whole lot of greens, herbs, shelling peas, snow peas and a cuke. 

Tomatoes are definitely a bust.  Plan worked out for next year:  Grow crop in pots.  Some pots in the greenhouse, others in the garden.  Potatoes are also starting to succumb so the fungus is widespread.  Potatoes will be grown in towers in new soil and compost and manure.  It is definitely making me very sad to see everything shrivel up and die.  Rona has 99 cent bags of black earth so I am going to load up on them and a friend is giving me all the large pots I want.  Now I need to source the plastic for solarization. 

I have got to work on the fencing again.  The individual row covers don't work once the plants get too tall.  So I am thinking of a strategy for a more secure perimeter fence against bunnies and a temporary seed protection against chipmunks in the spring.  Chipmunks only seem to eat the cucurbits and peas.

The fertility of the soil is really bad at one end of the garden.  That is going to get the entire contents of the chicken house.  The chickens are free during the day so it isn't a huge amount of manure, but between the compost pile and it - that should be the boost that is needed.  I am also going to get all the leaves this fall that I can.  With the perimeter fenced, I should be able to contain them. I am hoping that boosting the organics in the soil and getting a richer biome going will help with fungus.

Had another flush of oysters.  Yippee. 

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #506 on: July 05, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »
Sorry about the disease damage :(

Chickens actually deposit half their manure load overnight, so thatís actually a lot of manure :)

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:51 AM »
Sorry about the disease damage :(
thanks for the condolences.

Chickens actually deposit half their manure load overnight, so thatís actually a lot of manure :)
I did not know that about chickens.  7 chickens producing it....
BTW you eat a lot of eggs. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #508 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:04 AM »
Hello all! I'm suuuuper late to the party, but this year I grew tomatoes, peppers and broccoli from seed to moderate success, though it was definitely a learning experience. We have clay soil so I built four raised beds on a slope (OMG). Two of them got finished, the other two will have to wait. I bit off a little more than I can chew by myself. They also have trellises on one end. Also created a large bed for tomatoes.

In total:

Variegated tomatoes (from Seed Savers Exchange, no idea what they actually are) +

Cherry tomatoes = 10 plants

1 Roma

3 San Marzanos

3 broccolis (they won't form heads - I think it's the heat since we went from snow to 90 degrees in a week)

2 patches of dill

1 clump of chives

4 patches of thyme

A metric ton of basil :)

3 sq feet of English cucumbers

3 square feet of pole beans (currently getting munched by bean leaf beetles, neem oil isn't cutting it)

1 sq foot of calendula (supposed to be a good companion for broccoli?)

Rhubarb

2 garbage cans of potatoes (one is doing well, the other not so much)

6 pepper plants (seeds saved from various farmers market peppers, all mixed together - could be bell peppers, could be hot peppers, not sure yet; leaves are looking pale, but there are several little peppers growing)

Most of the tomatoes got the following treatment in their hole: shrimp shells, eggs shells, two aspirin, fish emulsion, and mykos on the roots. And now they're topping their metal cages, lol.

It's only a matter of time before we get chickens ...

There are lots of pictures on my IG (Steph_Lawton)

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #509 on: July 10, 2018, 10:55:02 PM »
Anyone here experienced growing cannabis outdoors? I've used to grow indoors back in Europe, but now in Thailand with the legalization coming (medical in 9 months, recreational following probably soon) would be interested to try to grow some thai sticks. I have half a hectare slope land that could probably fit few hundred plants, but I would not be able to look after them on daily basis, it would most likely be visit once a week to water them etc...

Any weed experts here?

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: July 11, 2018, 03:39:38 AM »
Anyone here experienced growing cannabis outdoors? I've used to grow indoors back in Europe, but now in Thailand with the legalization coming (medical in 9 months, recreational following probably soon) would be interested to try to grow some thai sticks. I have half a hectare slope land that could probably fit few hundred plants, but I would not be able to look after them on daily basis, it would most likely be visit once a week to water them etc...

Any weed experts here?

I've never grown it, but would be interested to try as well.  Our neighbor up the hill has a patch of a few dozen plants  -- seems like it can grow well here.  I just did a quick Google search and with the expanding legalization there are lots of how-to articles on growing.  Seems like the most challenging part might be getting good seeds, if you aren't yet in a full-legal location. 

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: July 11, 2018, 06:32:55 AM »
Could try asking in the main forum. I may be wrong, but I swear there are at least a few professional MJ growers on the boards.

There are also numerous dedicated forums for growing cannabis. I remember ending up on several when researching grow lights years ago.

I donít know how different the strains are between industrial hemp and MJ for smoking/edibles, but there may be more data available on outdoor cultivation for hemp as that used to be and is becoming again an important industrial scale crop. My state used to be one of the biggest hemp producers in the world before the legality changed.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #512 on: July 15, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »
It's yet another race against blight this year for our tomatoes.

I restaked them all after a storm knocked them over. They are giant plants right now - most are 5+ feet already, if not taller. Blight is spreading but there are quite literally hundreds of tomatoes on the plants right now. Our tomatillos are going nuts too, if we get a fraction of as many as are on those plants it will be a bumper crop.

Asparagus is mostly up, will be a next year crop. There is crabgrass all over it :( I'm not sure how to best get rid of that... was hoping those ferns would get big enough to just crowd out the weeds but not all of them are getting very big for some reason.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: July 15, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
I'm harvesting a handful of blueberries daily. Lettuce all finally keeled over, but I went to pull the peas, which looked like shit in the heat, and found a few more pea pods. Yay! I pulled a few garlic bulbs the other day, and two small carrots. My basil is doing pretty well (other than one Thai basil that dropped dead suddenly) so I'm going to make a big batch of pesto today.

I'm going to have to restake one of my tomatoes that is busting out of its cage, and give everything in the backyard a good haircut because it's starting to be impossible to walk between my small raised bed and my tomatoes in huge pots.

All tomatoes so far are starting to make tomatoes other than the Brandywines (which are flowering but not doing jack shit otherwise) and the Nebraska Wedding, which I've had problems with from the start - started from seed, didn't sprout. Started again, sprouted but died. Third try resulted in a plant, but it seems puny and unhappy and isn't flowering. Not sure what's up with that; it's a new to me variety that I got free seeds for. One plant (Inca Jewels, also a new variety to me) had some issues with blossom end rot but the new tomatoes that are forming seem OK. I've been fertilizing and adding some ground up eggshells for calcium. I find that the Roma-like varieties, which this one seems to be, have way more problems with rot than other "normal" varieties or cherry varieties, does anyone else find that to be true?

I think I have blight too in the community garden - either that or some other fungus. Most of the tomato plants in people's beds seem to have it. That's a down side of a community garden - the beds are so close together that I feel like if one person gets a disease, it spreads pretty fast. So far I've been keeping it at bay by removing the diseased leaves and using organic copper fungicide. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Yesterday my local Fancy Garden Center was having a sale so I finally replaced the thyme that didn't make it through the winter, and got a citronella plant because we have a serious mosquito problem on our back deck. I'm not quite sure what to do with it - the garden center said it was pretty easy care but they said that about the petunias that I killed too, so who knows. I don't seem to do well with plants that do not make food.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: July 15, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
I'm quite unhappy with my year of growing virtually nothing, so I'm going to start figuring on how I could grow more next year while living in two different places. I should at least be able to grow container tomatoes and herbs in my atrium if I could figure out the water situation. But they need a lot of water there with the sun on an enclosed south-facing space, and our water pressure is high and tends to wear out drip systems fast in spite of our whole-house regulator. More contemplation is needed.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: July 16, 2018, 01:50:25 PM »
We got some rain just now.  Enough to wet the soil.  Hoping for more.  We need about three days worth. 

My garden gave me half a dozen peppers, three pounds of yellow bean, much kale, lettuce and some tomatoes - despite their sickly appearance, the fruit tastes pretty good. Latest rodent barrier appears to be holding, although the chickens have been digging up the newspaper and spreading the wood chips all over.  It looked so tidy before
I have been using city water from my neighbour's hose to keep things well watered.

I also harvested half a pound of oyster mushrooms.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: July 17, 2018, 04:34:35 AM »
@Tris Prior yes, determinate tomatoes do seem to get BER more easily. They donít have root systems as deep as indeterminate varieties.

Sprinkling a liberal layer of oyster shell at the beginnng of the season usually does the trick for me.

If youíre applying calcium regularly but still constantly seeing BER make sure

1. Soil is staying evenly moist.

2. Soil pH. Calcium becomes highly non-bioavailable in pH below 7, particularly 6.5 or lower.

For a faster calcium fix, Iíve heard of folks using antacid tablets ground up. Eggshells are very slow release, slower even than oyster shell in my experience.

mountain mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #517 on: July 17, 2018, 06:58:22 AM »
my tomatoes are somehow doing incredibly! We are having a good year for tomatoes (short winter, warm spring, hot summer...usually quite different) and I am over the moon to have 12 happy plants with dozens of tomatoes on them. I didn't really think I could do it here in the high rockies to be honest. My pepper plants are also super happy recently, as it's gotten really hot...they are full of little baby peppers that I can't wait to eat! All my lettuce and spinach has bolted, which is a bummer because the every 3 days fresh baby greens was super nice for the month that it lasted...chard and kale are both doing amazing, and getting ready to harvest.
Something that is not going so well for me is basil. Usually that is the one thing I can count on...but this year I am having a major Earwig problem, and they are eating all of it! They don't touch the Thai basil, or oregano, or thyme, or sage, just the regular basil. Any tips?

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: July 17, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
We got rain.  Lots and lots of torrential rain late yesterday afternoon.  The forecast for the next 7 days looks favourable for planting more beans and greens for early fall picking.
I am going to make pesto for the first time in 15 years tonight.  The basil is looking lovely.  Lets hope my kids will start eating pesto now.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #519 on: July 18, 2018, 07:23:59 AM »
FL, lucky you with the rain.  We got 1/2 " the other night, not enough to bring the grass out of dormancy.  Yes, I have a brown and green lawn, the brown is the grass, the green is the "weeds" - some are true weeds, some are just other plants, like the clover and bird's-foot trefoil.  I have been watering the vegetable garden regularly, it has been so dry.  The tomatoes have lots of green tomatoes on them, the peppers have a few peppers (I think they don't set if nights are too hot and we have had hot nights), the basil is fine, and I harvested my first cucumber the other day.  The rest of the cucumbers are those tiny 5 mm babies.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #520 on: July 18, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
My tomatoes are getting a lot of dry, brown leaves and slowing down production. It's been 100+ degrees every day, so I'm guessing I need a thicker layer of mulch to retain more water during the day? They just have a thin layer of straw right now.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: July 18, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
@Tris Prior yes, determinate tomatoes do seem to get BER more easily. They donít have root systems as deep as indeterminate varieties.

Sprinkling a liberal layer of oyster shell at the beginnng of the season usually does the trick for me.

If youíre applying calcium regularly but still constantly seeing BER make sure

1. Soil is staying evenly moist.

2. Soil pH. Calcium becomes highly non-bioavailable in pH below 7, particularly 6.5 or lower.

For a faster calcium fix, Iíve heard of folks using antacid tablets ground up. Eggshells are very slow release, slower even than oyster shell in my experience.

Now the Roma at home has it too. Only on a couple of the tomatoes, though? Maybe I'll try the antacid tablets. I think I might have a pH test somewhere in the basement still, from when I put the soil acidifier on my blueberries (which are producing pretty well!).

It's been very dry here. I water daily but it probably needs 2 waterings a day as it's bone dry every time I go there; but I don't think I can cram in a morning community garden trip considering that I'm already having to arrive at work stupid early every morning during the summer. (and TBH am feeling SUPER overwhelmed this year by maintaining 2 gardens.) I haven't had this problem at home yet. Usually I have a Roma in a container and it initially gets rot on some fruits but then it goes away. 2 plants getting it is unusual for me.

Ate the first ripe Sungold right off the vine yesterday. It was delicious!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: July 18, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
Ate the first ripe Sungold right off the vine yesterday. It was delicious!

Sungolds are wicked, wicked good.  I am a tomato junkie (see my avatar!) and Sungold is one of the absolute best. 

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: July 18, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
@Tris Prior - I pretty much have no tomato crop - and the potatoes are dying off too.  It is not a watering or heat issue - it is a fungus in the soil.  My research found no solutions to treat the existing plants.  So I have accepted low yields this year and have made plans to grow in pots next season and solarize the soil this fall and early next spring.  Hopefully in 2020 I can go back to planting in the ground with the cause of the wilt removed from the soil.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: July 19, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »
Oh guys!  I think my raspberries have cane blight.  I am so sad.  :-(

I have my fingers crossed they live and produce berries this year, but they are dying back as fast as the flowers can pop and start to turn into berries. 

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #525 on: July 20, 2018, 06:51:30 AM »
My roma tomatoes have blossom end rot. I've added compost with blood meal, but will add some calcium nitrate as well. For the tomatoes that already have the BER, I'm thinking of picking them, cutting off the bad ends and making green salsa. Hopefully, removing the more mature tomatoes will encourage the plants to flower and set more fruit (I can't remember if they're determinate or indeterminate).

Fortunately, the rest of my garden is doing well. My experiment in growing eggplant and celery is working beautifully, and I'm enjoying a huge crop of basil.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #526 on: July 20, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »
Been a while since I checked in.

Been picking about a pound of bush beans every few days for the last week or so. I suspect they'll end their run soon. Pole beans are starting to flower. Yellow squash are just starting and I have a tiny cantaloupe the size of a gumball - fingers crossed that it turns into something.

Starting to get cherry tomatoes and romas. My Early Girls haven't produced anything; so much for early! Dreaming of Cherokee Purples but I think they are still a few weeks from ripeness.

My basil is meh this year. I decided to experiment with broc and brussel sprouts. I had some brocolli in Mid June but the sprouts just keep growing giant leaves. They look gorgeous but I'm not seeing anything that looks remotely likely a brussel sprout. Did I miss something when I was on vacation at the beginning of the month? Anyone here grow brussel sprouts?

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: July 20, 2018, 08:29:14 AM »
I am going on holiday for three weeks so last night I harvested the garden really hard.  I took 6 grocery bags to my local food pantry last night for distribution to their clients today at their weekly morning food supplement.  Five of the bags were lettuce, the remaining were the yellow beans and six green peppers.  I missed the zucchini that I found this morning.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #528 on: July 25, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
My sweet pepper plants are FINALLY flowering, so maybe there's still hope of getting some peppers this year.

I thought I'd killed my mint plants, which was kinda embarrassing because of how famously easy it is to grow mint, but after dying way back they're getting some new growth again.

Vasilisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #529 on: July 25, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »
Jumping in here mid-year- so neat to read about everyone else's gardens!

I share three different community/neighborhood vegetable gardens with my DH and neighbor. We're able to garden year round and harvest year round.

What are you growing this year?
Currently: tomatoes, bush beans, pole beans, onions (red italian, "Walla Walla", green, and yellow), "Wee Be Little Pumpkins", cucumbers, zucchini ("Magda" and green), basil, "Glass Gem" corn, peppers (Anaheim, Poblano, and a new one), kale, chives, last of the lettuce, arugula, potatoes, amaranth, malabar spinach, purslane, alpine strawberries, and oregano.

Trying anything new this year?
Some new varieties of tomato ("Rose de Berne" and "Eva Purple Ball"), a gorgeous new variety of popcorn "Glass Gem" (seriously GTS), artichokes (they were delicious to us and the gophers) and garlic. Looking forward to planting more garlic- such an awesome thing to be eating homegrown garlic.

Best tips to pass along.
Take time to sit in your garden and just enjoy the season.
Composting is worth it- you are so badass if you can grow soil.
Share the bounty- pass along the extra produce, take friends through your garden, let them pick produce or flowers, share the beauty.
Grow flowers! "Hearts starve as well as bodies, give us bread, but give us roses."

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #530 on: July 25, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »
Where do you guys buy your seeds from? I'm starting to plan my fall/Winter garden - I promised my daughter we could grow rainbow carrots, and I think I'll do some lettuce and cabbage too.

Vasilisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #531 on: July 25, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
@nessness I have had good success with ordering from Pinetree Garden Seeds https://www.superseeds.com/ . I like their smaller sized seeds packets and the variety of things they offer.

I also like Renee's Garden too: https://www.reneesgarden.com/ They're local to me and really passionate about trials and offering interesting, tasty veggies.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: July 25, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
Got some more sungolds, and so far 3 decently sized jalapeŮos. One of my "Fourth of July" tomatoes is finally showing tiny signs of ripening. (haha, they're supposed to be ripe by the 4th of July, which never happens here). I have to do some serious pruning in the backyard as the tomato jungle has started already. All other varieties remain green, so far. I am impatient; looking back at my garden photos from last year, I was already getting a decent crop by now.

Oh, did I mention that the purple raspberry that I thought was dead and did not do jack shit last year is now producing small amounts of gorgeous deep purple and very juicy raspberries? Hooray! The dwarf raspberry in the community bed has also finally gotten with the program, though I don't think I'm going to get a huge yield like last year. It just seems behind schedule. Maybe they're just coming later. I came home from vacation Monday and found 4 ripe berries on it, which were delicious.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #533 on: July 25, 2018, 04:58:49 PM »
Two months ago I thought that only two of the five raspberry canes that I planted last year survived the winter, but then seemingly overnight canes started sprouting everywhere. I now have a lush little raspberry patch that yields a nice handful of berries a day. A real delight!

I've canned my first batch of dill beans and have started a huge batch of pesto that I'll freeze into cubes for later use.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: July 26, 2018, 07:48:21 AM »
Two months ago I thought that only two of the five raspberry canes that I planted last year survived the winter, but then seemingly overnight canes started sprouting everywhere. I now have a lush little raspberry patch that yields a nice handful of berries a day. A real delight!

Are volunteer raspberries indeed a thing? I have something sprouting up next to my (red) raspberry container that sure looks like another raspberry. I didn't realize they did that. I assumed it was a weed but now I feel like I shouldn't pull it just in case.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #535 on: July 26, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
I have a question - what do I do with 6 romas? Not enough to make sauce and I don't have an immediate use for them for a few days. I don't want to waste them.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: July 26, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »
Caprese salad? Slice them up with some fresh mozzarella, basil, and drizzle with balsamic.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #537 on: July 26, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
@nessness I have had good success with ordering from Pinetree Garden Seeds https://www.superseeds.com/ . I like their smaller sized seeds packets and the variety of things they offer.

I also like Renee's Garden too: https://www.reneesgarden.com/ They're local to me and really passionate about trials and offering interesting, tasty veggies.
Thanks! I just ordered from Renee's Garden.

Vasilisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #538 on: July 26, 2018, 08:49:06 AM »
@nessness awesome! What did you end up ordering?

@StarBright Try chopping them up and cooking them with scrambled eggs! Or any kind of veggie stir fry or curry mix. I find if I'm chopping up veggies and cooking them together it's a great place to use that tiny amount of random veggies. 

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #539 on: July 26, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
@Vasilisa I got "sweet greens and reds" lettuce blend, "harlequin mix" carrots, and "pixie" cabbage. I'm pretty excited. :) Shipping cost was a bit high ($5), but the seed costs seemed pretty reasonable, and I like that they sell seed blends for the carrots and lettuce, rather than having to buy each type separately.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: July 26, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
I grew the Sweet Greens and Reds this spring and it did well and was really pretty!

Thinking about trying for a fall crop of lettuce, but I've never had success with it. It just doesn't seem to want to germinate, ever. The weather's probably too iffy here for it.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #541 on: July 26, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »
I have a question - what do I do with 6 romas? Not enough to make sauce and I don't have an immediate use for them for a few days. I don't want to waste them.

You could chop them up and put them in a mason jar and freeze them.  I've done that when I don't have time to can.  Frozen tomatoes separate a bit, but you can still use them for soup, chili, etc.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #542 on: July 26, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
Where do you guys buy your seeds from? I'm starting to plan my fall/Winter garden - I promised my daughter we could grow rainbow carrots, and I think I'll do some lettuce and cabbage too.

Primarily FedCo. Good quality, very good prices, especially for the minimum packet sizes. I also order occasionally from Johnnyís and have ordered from several independent plant breeders to get unusual strains/varieties Iíd read about.

krmit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #543 on: July 26, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
Trimmed and cleaned up my garlic harvest! Almost 2 pounds harvested from one head of garlic planted last year. It made a delicious batch of pesto.  I'm absurdly pleased at how easy it was to grow.

My cherry tomatoes and zucchini are coming in at a manageable level. First of the Moskvich tomatoes are ripening too.

My Italian parsley has all bolted - I thought parsley was a biennial and only flowered in the second year. Is that only curly parsley that does that? Or should I have been trimming off the stems as they sprouted up?

Cranky

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #544 on: July 27, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »

Are volunteer raspberries indeed a thing? I have something sprouting up next to my (red) raspberry container that sure looks like another raspberry. I didn't realize they did that. I assumed it was a weed but now I feel like I shouldn't pull it just in case.

Hahaha. Raspberries will take over the world. I planted 3 or 4 canes, and could probably open a U Pick, if I didn't whack them back every year.

Any, the June crop of raspberries is over, and conveniently was pretty much finished just as we left for vacation. The canes are loaded with flowers and new fruit - I think we'll be having round 2 in about 10 days.

Tomatoes look pretty good. I'm getting a few Romas and a lot of grape and cherry tomatoes. The squash is spreading fast, but not setting yet. The basil looks great - we should have the first batch of pesto this weekend. The perennial herbs are in full swing - makes the bees happy!

I've experimented with lettuce in pots this year, and it has worked well. I've planted a pot every other week and we've had lettuce since May.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #545 on: July 27, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
Caprese salad? Slice them up with some fresh mozzarella, basil, and drizzle with balsamic.

I had turkey burgers and fries on the menu last night (gotta have a meal for the kiddos every now and then). I turned the grown ups meal into Caprese Turkey Burgers and a green bean/tomato salad!

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #546 on: July 27, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »
I think I'm going to get rid of my guineas. I'd heard they were loud but OMG I had no idea. It's only a matter of time before my neighbors start complaining.

Of my 14 chickens, there are 3 I'm sure are roosters and 3 more suspected. Someone at the feed store told me about a local biweekly livestock auction where she said she always sold her roosters. So I think I'll probably take the roosters and guineas there, though it makes me a bit sad.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: July 27, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
I think I'm going to get rid of my guineas. I'd heard they were loud but OMG I had no idea. It's only a matter of time before my neighbors start complaining.

Of my 14 chickens, there are 3 I'm sure are roosters and 3 more suspected. Someone at the feed store told me about a local biweekly livestock auction where she said she always sold her roosters. So I think I'll probably take the roosters and guineas there, though it makes me a bit sad.

Could eat them too :)

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #548 on: July 27, 2018, 07:49:14 PM »

Could eat them too :)
I did think about that, but I don't think I could handle processing them myself, and paying someone to process them didn't seem worth it, given how rarely we eat meat. Plus my 3-year-old is going through a phase where she doesn't want to eat fish because she has a pet fish and it makes her sad, so I can't imagine how traumatized she would be over eating our chickens.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #549 on: July 29, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
My tomatoes are finally starting to ripen. Yesterday, I had enough cherry toms to make a salad. It was a major culinary event.

Went through inventory of canning jars, emptied old food, scrubbed jars, bleached reusable lids to remove smell, and now I'm ready to stand over a boiling pot of water to preserve some summer goodness. I've got pickles and zucchini relish on the prep list. Every canning season, I dream of an outdoor kitchen setup. One of these years, I have to get on it.

Finished the honey harvest from one hive and had 26.2 lbs of honey. Yes, I weighed it. It's almost all bottled. Put honeycomb into a few widemouth canning jars and filled it up with honey. Looks good.