Author Topic: Planting / Growing your own 2018  (Read 22157 times)

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
Re: Planting / Growing your own 2018
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »
Do you think leaf lettuce would work in a smoothie instead of baby spinach? Iíve got an abundance of it currently.
Factory farming is evil. Nor can you design a vegetarian (let alone vegan) holistic agricultural system that works. There is a third and better way.

All flesh is grass. All life requires death.

nessness

• Stubble
« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
My zucchini are turning yellow. :( From some googling it sounds like the most likely culprit is lack of calcium. There's also a bunch of aphids on the plant. I tried a natural bug spray and it didn't seem to do much. Is it worth getting some ladybugs? Or any other suggestions for getting rid of aphids?

I planted two tomato plants, and intentionally got  different varieties so I could see which did better, but I didn't bother to research the varieties and  didn't realize one was a cherry tomato plant until I wondered why the tomatoes weren't growing as quickly as my other plant, and then finally saw some ripening lol. We picked our first few cherry tomatoes yesterday, and they were delicious, so it was a pleasant surprise..

On the zukes, it could be low calcium but in my experience more likely low overall soil fertility. Some quick release fertilizer of your choice would be a good option. (Not familiar with conventional products, in organic I think youíre looking at kelp, fish emulsion, bloodmeat, etc.) No harm in adding some calcium, though. Crushed antacid tablets are the fastest release, followed by oyster shell or bone meal, then crushed up eggshells.
Thanks!

nessness

• Stubble
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »
They got 2 more strawberries. I have not yet been able to taste one! Grrrr.I am not totally convinced that it's birds or chipmunks; that part of the garden is crawling with the damn pill bugs.
I put a fake owl overlooking my strawberries and it seems to be working so far - I had a couple of strawberries disappear before I put it out but none since.

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #453 on: June 14, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
Wow Finntastic -- that is cool, thanks for sharing.  Are you in Thailand did you say?

Yes in Northern Thailand. Chiang Mai to be precise

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #454 on: June 15, 2018, 06:04:45 AM »
Do you think leaf lettuce would work in a smoothie instead of baby spinach? Iíve got an abundance of it currently.

Can you try and report back? I'd like to know since my lettuce is growing well, I don't grow spinach, and my kale will be ages before it's ready.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #455 on: June 15, 2018, 06:31:53 AM »
Decided to add some dahlias to my garden.  I am loving having cutting flowers for the house so I got some of the extras from my dad.  Hopefully I have enough sun here.  Maybe I will stuff them at the big garden. 
Seeing the possibilities

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #456 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »

Can you try and report back? I'd like to know since my lettuce is growing well, I don't grow spinach, and my kale will be ages before it's ready.

Plan to try it soon, just keep forgetting.
Factory farming is evil. Nor can you design a vegetarian (let alone vegan) holistic agricultural system that works. There is a third and better way.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: June 16, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »
Lettuce smoothie was gross. Too bitter.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
Picked more berries.  The various bushes are putting out about a pint every other day -- perfect for fresh eating. :)

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
Picked more berries.  The various bushes are putting out about a pint every other day -- perfect fo r fresh eating. :)
so jealous.

I am having some great production of oysters.   
Seeing the possibilities

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »
Picked more berries.  The various bushes are putting out about a pint every other day -- perfect fo r fresh eating. :)
so jealous.

I am having some great production of oysters.

My turn to be jealous!  I haven't yet tried mushrooms -- that setup looks awesome!  Did you make that yourself?

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
@Trifele I did a workshop on growing mushrooms that included one of the buckets.  They demonstrated making them.  Made the rest myself. 

Pasturized the straw myself but bought the spawn.  It was 55 for 5lbs of shiitake and Oyster.   I only used a little more than half.  I had no more space.  I ended up giving it away to a very grateful person who can make good use of it. 

The lids are the sap bucket covers. 

One of my jobs today is to get going on pasturizing more material so that I can keep the production going for longer than my workshop one.
Seeing the possibilities

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
It is hotter than hell this weekend and my peppers are loving it. Some are finally flowering! Some of the tomatoes are finally flowering, too. I feel like everything is running so far behind this year.

I bought tulle to put around the raspberries and blueberries, and it was SO much easier to handle than bird netting. It looks a little weird, though. Let's see if it works to keep the birds off!

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing the results of your lettuce-smoothie test, Furrychickens. I'll know not to try it.

I ate my first snow pea yesterday, and it was delightful. So far, I'm able to eat my dill, basil, lettuce, arugula, rhubarb and one snow pea, so it's a season for salad!

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #464 on: June 18, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »
Ugh. Tomato blight and only mid-June?

:(

Guess I'll hope the plants make more leaves than I can prune...