Author Topic: Planting / Growing Your Own - 2017  (Read 105807 times)

AustinHorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Planting / Growing Your Own - 2017
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2017, 11:02:05 AM »
I have six 8x4 raised beds and have already planted greens (swiss chard, kale, and a variety of red lettuce), carrots and beets.  I should be putting peppers, okra and tomatoes in the ground this weekend.

I'm not growing anything new this year as I'm so far behind right now and am just hastily throwing things I have experience with in the ground for the spring.  I didn't do a fall garden, so I'm glad to at least get something in the ground and get back to it!!!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 04:40:18 AM »
A friend of mine cannot garden - the chickens destroy just about everything!

We have both chickens and a huge garden.  It's true you do need to separate them, because chickens are not kind to plants, but the good news is it's fairly easy to fence out chickens.  A three-foot-tall roll of chicken wire fencing will usually do it.  Most chicken breeds don't fly much if at all, and they don't like to land on top of the chicken wire, because it's bendy.    I actually love gardening with my chickens -- at certain times of the year.  After harvest, I let them in and they happily scratch around in the beds for worms as I'm puttering.  I love to listen to them "talk" as they work.  They contribute a little nitrogen to the soil as well.   

Many gardeners -- especially urban/suburban gardeners with limited space -- find creative ways to make it work.   

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2017, 07:18:26 AM »

We have both chickens and a huge garden.  It's true you do need to separate them, because chickens are not kind to plants, but the good news is it's fairly easy to fence out chickens.  A three-foot-tall roll of chicken wire fencing will usually do it.  Most chicken breeds don't fly much if at all, and they don't like to land on top of the chicken wire, because it's bendy.    I actually love gardening with my chickens -- at certain times of the year.  After harvest, I let them in and they happily scratch around in the beds for worms as I'm puttering.  I love to listen to them "talk" as they work.  They contribute a little nitrogen to the soil as well.   

Many gardeners -- especially urban/suburban gardeners with limited space -- find creative ways to make it work.

Oh, I know - there are other factors at work in their space, and I think along with those they'd rather let the chickens roam.  They do chatter - it's kind of soothing yet amusing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2017, 07:26:29 AM »

We have both chickens and a huge garden.  It's true you do need to separate them, because chickens are not kind to plants, but the good news is it's fairly easy to fence out chickens.  A three-foot-tall roll of chicken wire fencing will usually do it.  Most chicken breeds don't fly much if at all, and they don't like to land on top of the chicken wire, because it's bendy.  <...>

I have seen many cases of run away chickens. So the chickens are also creative in finding ways to escape.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
I feel like a dumbass - forgot to turn the growlight on this morning. I only have 4 seedlings up so far - three arugula and 1 snap pea - so if they die in the dark I guess I start over. Dammit.

I have to get that thing on a timer, or else put a big note on the front door reminding me to turn it on before I leave for work. It is kept in a room that is always shut, so the cat doesn't eat the plants, and if I can't see something then it doesn't get done in the mad rush to leave the house.

AustinHorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 09:43:55 AM »

Oh, I know - there are other factors at work in their space, and I think along with those they'd rather let the chickens roam.  They do chatter - it's kind of soothing yet amusing.

I'm in the suburbs - we have backyard chickens and six garden beds - 2 of which are in the back yard.  I actually put hoops over those and when they are in production I cover them with insect netting to keep them out (also keeps birds/squirrels/rabbits and many pests out as well, so a double benefit).  Has worked well so far.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »
We are in the process of moving houses this year and are staying with family, so no garden for me this year : (

Following anyway!

I might compromise and at least plant some herbs in pots to put on the back deck outside. Cooking with fresh herbs grown in your own garden is one of the best small delights in life you can give yourself : ). Plus everything is way, way tastier!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 08:12:19 AM »
I was looking for a thread like this over in DIY and didn't see it. Happy to find it over here!

Haven't gardened for a few years but won the lottery for a spot in our community garden.

In the spring we'll do:
spinach
chard
kale
lettuces
and maybe try peas if we have time.

Summer-
lots of tomatoes (my kids eat cherry tomatoes by the pound)
peppers
basil
pole beans
zukes

and because our garden plot is about twice the size we expected to get we are going to use the extra bed to try cantaloupes.

We also have a huge dirt patch behind our garage/next to our alley that gets great sun so we're thinking of planting some blackberries or raspberries in it.

We're basically newbies at anything other than tomatoes, peppers and greens but we are psyched to grow some of our own food and have our kids help us.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
Cleaned out the tomato and basil beds this morning. Looks like I won't need to plant either one if the volunteers I found survive the freezing temps forecasted for two nights next week.

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »
I'm continuing my experiments in gardening.  Started a few varieties of tomatoes and of basil a bit early this year because last year I saw how much smaller my plants were than commercially available ones around the last frost date here - probably partially a result of less than stellar lighting, but I think it's mostly because they just could have used more time/space to grow out.  I'll find out, either way!  I had a rainbow of cherry tomatoes last year and it was delicious and fun, and I'm trying out different basil varieties to try and find one that is a bit less tasty to Japanese Beetles (but I am not optimistic). 

Aside from those, I've also started a couple luffas (needed to start them extra early for them to even have a *chance* at maturing in this region), some broccoli, and have some potatoes starting in pots made from 2-liter soda bottles.

Not 100% sure what will end up in my garden plot this year.  Probably the luffas, another squash or two, a bunch of cherry toms, peas, dill, lots of basil, lettuce, radishes, and some marigolds to help repel bugs. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:05 PM »
A new 2017 thread! Thanks G-dog!

Last year I tried bell peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. Only the cherry tomatoes really did well. I think this year I'll switch to mini peppers, stick with the cherry tomatoes, try the cucumbers again, and add tomatillos. It's the PNW (so not enough sun) and I have very little space.

Quinoa - excited to try this for the first time

I love quinoa, and it's pricey. I'm super interested to hear how this turns out.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 04:06:18 AM »

I'm in the suburbs - we have backyard chickens and six garden beds - 2 of which are in the back yard.  I actually put hoops over those and when they are in production I cover them with insect netting to keep them out (also keeps birds/squirrels/rabbits and many pests out as well, so a double benefit).  Has worked well so far.

I was in the suburbs until last year (country now), and I did exactly the same thing Austin.  I had two beds inside the yard, and I used hoops and netting over them.  I was using 3/4 inch deer netting, and it worked great.  I had to keep it pulled down taut so the little wild birds didn't get their feet tangled in it, but in 8 years I had no bird fatalities, so that worked out well.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2017, 06:36:25 AM »

Last year I tried bell peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. Only the cherry tomatoes really did well. I think this year I'll switch to mini peppers, stick with the cherry tomatoes, try the cucumbers again, and add tomatillos. It's the PNW (so not enough sun) and I have very little space.

We've grown tomatillos with variable results. The variety is supposed to be adapted to growing here, but I think it may be borderline adapted. The plants get huge and are really open and vineyard. The flowers and fruits are pretty - like little hanging lanterns. One year the fruit got fairly big at ping-pong ball size, but I think they should get bigger. Last year I started from seed, so likely a different strain, the fruit never got very big (marble size), and would fall off of the vine.  But it's nice to make your own salsa verde.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
I have a few little tiny sprouts from the seeds I planted on Monday!

We had a rainy week, and it is looking to be a glorious sunny weekend with temps in the 60's, so I'll definitely get some things direct-sowed (sown?).  I'll need to shift some soil around because I need several truckloads of compost and doubt that my piles have decomposed much over winter since it was so cold.  But yay!  Beets, carrots and parsnips, spinach and lettuces definitely going in today.

I'm getting new chickens this year, so my three remaining old girls will be on landscaping duty.  I'm going to build a moveable pen paired up with an old dog house and put them in some of the fallow areas to scratch and poop.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
Does anyone have any favorites for growing in small containers, like on a small balcony?

Through trial and error, I've found that tomatoes (cherry or the "balcony" varieties), basil, and Serrano peppers seem the happiest on my balcony. Dill wasn't very productive, but I might replant again just because I love the smell of fresh dill. Other plants that I didn't have success with: cilantro, Thai chilis, strawberries (container variety- they made a few berries here and there but not that much). Ghost peppers grew ok, but then I wasted them when I never got around to drying them or making a hot sauce.

Any other ideas? My balcony is quite small (really a Juliette balcony), so I'm limited to pots and hanging pots.

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »
Does anyone have any favorites for growing in small containers, like on a small balcony?

Through trial and error, I've found that tomatoes (cherry or the "balcony" varieties), basil, and Serrano peppers seem the happiest on my balcony. Dill wasn't very productive, but I might replant again just because I love the smell of fresh dill. Other plants that I didn't have success with: cilantro, Thai chilis, strawberries (container variety- they made a few berries here and there but not that much). Ghost peppers grew ok, but then I wasted them when I never got around to drying them or making a hot sauce.

Any other ideas? My balcony is quite small (really a Juliette balcony), so I'm limited to pots and hanging pots.

Chives! 

For the ones that haven't been successful - did you feed them?

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »

Green onions, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, sage. Dill is more difficult in pots (but extremely easy outside) as it's a big tall plant and needs a bit more space. Cilantro could be difficult too.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »

We've grown tomatillos with variable results. The variety is supposed to be adapted to growing here, but I think it may be borderline adapted. The plants get huge and are really open and vineyard. The flowers and fruits are pretty - like little hanging lanterns. One year the fruit got fairly big at ping-pong ball size, but I think they should get bigger. Last year I started from seed, so likely a different strain, the fruit never got very big (marble size), and would fall off of the vine.  But it's nice to make your own salsa verde.

You read my mind!

Someone told me that tomatillos grow well in the PNW. I guess I'll find out. Good to know that the plants get big.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
Just planted a bunch of peppers in my grow cabinet -- jalapenos and bells.  I meant to do it two weeks ago and never got to it.  Oh well, better late than never!  I've got some more shelf space, so I may plant some more things over the next few days.  It's my first year using the grow cabinet (bought it used) and I am super excited.  It opens up whole new vistas of possibilities. 

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »

You read my mind!

Someone told me that tomatillos grow well in the PNW. I guess I'll find out. Good to know that the plants get big.
I'm up in the canadian prairie - got some tomatillo seeds for christmas this year and kinda looked at them sideways at first. I'm assuming they grow like indeterminate tomatoes?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »

You read my mind!

I'm up in the canadian prairie - got some tomatillo seeds for christmas this year and kinda looked at them sideways at first. I'm assuming they grow like indeterminate tomatoes?

Yes, but smaller leaves and stems, more open structure. The plant doesn't get as heavy, but we used tomato cages with them. Now, if our fruit had gotten to a proper size....

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2017, 01:38:39 AM »
I put the stem of a bunch of celery into a glas of water. And also this vegetable has started to sprout new growth out of it. It just needs to grow more roots, so it's staying in the water for the moment. The spring onions that we put in a pot a few weeks ago are doing really well and growing long green leaves.

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2017, 09:10:39 PM »
Got my tomato plants planted today. Trying a new on called heat wave (apparently good in the desert), Romano, cherry, and an Italian one - I thought why not what do I have to loose? There was also a lonely Banana Pepper for $2.88 - thought I would throw it in a pot and see what gives. All my herbs survived winter and are doing well. Nothing very challenging but realistic with my current workload.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »
 Deer got some of my tomato starts, but the ones inside chicken wire are still doing fine despite the cold. Going to put up some more chicken wire and wait to see if I get more tomatoes out of the deal.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
Some of my Red Russian kale seeds are sprouting after only three days.  RR is my favorite kale variety hands down.  Such good little soldiers reporting cheerfully for duty.  :)

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »
We have spinach and arugula sprouts. Yum!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »
I'm having really poor luck with seed starting this year. I've never had so much trouble. Fewer than half of the seeds I started have germinated and it's been nearly 2 weeks. Normally I'd have more sprouting by now.

I'm doing exactly the same thing as I've done every year, and every other year I've been good, so ????

The only thing I can think of is that it's too hot in our apartment. We can't control the heat, it's constantly blasting despite us frequently asking the landlord to turn it down a little. I thought seeds liked heat, but maybe this is too much for cool-weather crops?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »
I started seeds a little over a week ago, in a windowsill box.

Two kinds of tomatoes: only one kind has sprouted thus far.
Hot peppers and sweet peppers: nothing yet.
Picking cucumbers: about half of them are up.
Brussel sprouts: literally every seed is already two inches tall, will have to do some serious thinning.
Oregano and Thyme: still tiny but reliably sprouted.
Basil:  probably less than half are up, but they were old seeds.

Really it's only the hot peppers that have disappointed me.  I couldn't get any to sprout last year, either.

Out in the yard, all of my blueberry bushes and the apple tree are in good shape.  The pomegranate I planted last year doesn't have any leaves yet so I'm not sure it survived the winter, but it's still early.  The strawberries appear to have self-mulched and may have choked on their own blanket of decaying leaves from last year's strawberry forest.  And it's still too early tell if the asparagus is coming back, they're only one and two years old and there's significant new weed competition in that bed.  edit:  I weeded.  Asparagus definitely still alive, I found some early shoots.

And they're not normally considered edible, but I have three new climbing rose bushes to plant tonight and a new 10 foot tall trellis for them to grow on.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:01:43 PM by sol »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2017, 06:56:33 PM »
Supposedly asparagus doesn't compete well with weeds*, etc. you may want to clear some of that.

*according to an asparagus farmer on a locally produced public TV show.

I have trouble starting peppers too, I think my house is a bit too cold. I tried one set and got 2/4 to germinate, with one much slower than the first. I planted some more, and have 4/6 germinating, slowly.

I started some marigold for borders, and they germinated within 36 hours!

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
One brand of luffa seed has sprouted, no sign of life from the other brand.  Bummer, but I guess good I decided to try two varieties? 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2017, 02:36:45 AM »
One brand of luffa seed has sprouted, no sign of life from the other brand.  Bummer, but I guess good I decided to try two varieties?

Last years we bought some herb seeds from a certain cheap chop. Non sprouted. Next time we should buy somewhere else. Or just stick to what we have started to do recently, putting veggie stems into earth. The spring onion is doing so well.

Tyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2017, 04:04:46 AM »
I'm starting seedlings for my allotment (had it last year but most things got eaten slugs, but I've tidied up a lot since then so hopefully they'll have fewer hiding places), sprouting so far:

Artichoke, aubergine, cucumber, celery, kale, peppers (bell and some random little sweet ones from peppers I bought at the supermarket), tomatoes and a range of flowers. 

I also have rhubarb, raspberry, blackcurrants and strawberries in place.  Need to build some netting to protect them from birds, but they are only just waking up so I've got some time to do that.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2017, 11:36:52 AM »

I have various tiny sprouts for greens out in the atrium – I can't remember what I planted where, but it's lettuce or spinach or both – or Swiss chard, I suppose.

I still have a few tomato starts in the raised beds, but the deer seem to have realized that our dogs can't get to those beds. I'm going to need to protect around the base of another section with chicken wire.

I still need to get out and check and see if my volunteer basil seedlings survived the freeze last night.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
I'll have to restart everything except 5 cucumbers. Bad soil (or low temps? I keep 67-69F inside). 2+ weeks lost but probably not a big deal as I planted first batch a bit too early hoping for late-April transplanting, while last frost could be as late as early May in Chicago. 

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »
I finally have a lemon tree growing, in my garden. I was in hospital and I hate being bought flowers so my friend bought me my coveted lemon tree in a terracotta pot on wheels so when it gets too hot in summer I can move it. A LEMON TREE!

Oh the simple things that can make us happy!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »
And, now my seed-starting pods are growing mold, so I had to throw out a bunch of them.

I have never had so much trouble! I guess I should've taken off the plastic cover even though the instructions say to leave it on, and I have always left it on. ??

The seedlings are really not enjoying how it's always in the upper 80s in my apartment, but there's nothing I can do about that. I don't feel comfortable having the window open to cool things off as there's no screen and we're in a very high-crime neighborhood. I'm just trying to keep them watered and cool them off that way. I tried a fan but it seems to just be moving the heat around.

We're moving in the beginning of April, to an apartment where we can actually control our own heat. So maybe I'll just have to start over then.

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
I started seeds a little over a week ago, in a windowsill box.

Two kinds of tomatoes: only one kind has sprouted thus far.
Hot peppers and sweet peppers: nothing yet.
Picking cucumbers: about half of them are up.
Brussel sprouts: literally every seed is already two inches tall, will have to do some serious thinning.
Oregano and Thyme: still tiny but reliably sprouted.
Basil:  probably less than half are up, but they were old seeds.

Really it's only the hot peppers that have disappointed me.  I couldn't get any to sprout last year, either.

Out in the yard, all of my blueberry bushes and the apple tree are in good shape.  The pomegranate I planted last year doesn't have any leaves yet so I'm not sure it survived the winter, but it's still early.  The strawberries appear to have self-mulched and may have choked on their own blanket of decaying leaves from last year's strawberry forest.  And it's still too early tell if the asparagus is coming back, they're only one and two years old and there's significant new weed competition in that bed.  edit:  I weeded.  Asparagus definitely still alive, I found some early shoots.

And they're not normally considered edible, but I have three new climbing rose bushes to plant tonight and a new 10 foot tall trellis for them to grow on.

Hot peppers are really finicky - I've heard that they can take up to a month to germinate. Heat helps a lot - I had a small heat mat underneath mine. I started them Feb 20 and I would say it's at about 75% germination rate so far. Tomatoes seemed to germinate a lot faster, even without heat.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »
 Basil died in the freeze, but I've got a whole bunch of lettuces coming up. Some of the tomatoes are still going strong – basically all of the ones the deer can't reach.  The sorrel kind of wilted in the cold, but it's perked back up and is blooming a bit, so it should do just fine.  I'll reseed basil this weekend if nothing pops up in the next day or so

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »
This weekend we will plant a lot of herbs, but only in pots in the kitchen.
We also have hot pepper seeds and will try what is described above, using a heat mat, which we already have.
We have already planted cherrie tomatoes in another pot inside. Would be interesting.
The spring unions are ready for eating.

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
I currently have my wee seedlings in a 72 cell seed starting tray, with seed starting mix. Does anyone know if I could use regular potting soil when I pot them up to bigger containers? It's just so much cheaper and I'll need to use quite a bit.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
I currently have my wee seedlings in a 72 cell seed starting tray, with seed starting mix. Does anyone know if I could use regular potting soil when I pot them up to bigger containers? It's just so much cheaper and I'll need to use quite a bit.

Yes, potting soil is fine.  As far as I know, the only difference between potting soil and seed starting mix is that the seed starting mix has been screened to remove the larger pieces, so that tiny seeds are more likely to find soil instead of air right after they sprout.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »

Yes, potting soil is fine.  As far as I know, the only difference between potting soil and seed starting mix is that the seed starting mix has been screened to remove the larger pieces, so that tiny seeds are more likely to find soil instead of air right after they sprout.

It is finer, and it's usually peat-based, so it's pretty devoid of nutrients.  I believe that is meant to prevent damping off, and usually a non-issue after the seed leaf stage.  Potting them up into potting soil will give them the nutrients they need.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2017, 04:51:24 PM »

Quinoa - excited to try this for the first time

I love quinoa, and it's pricey. I'm super interested to hear how this turns out.

You got it Cressida...PNW quinoa growing updates here! Will be a few months yet before I have any quinoa related stuff though.

Someone mentioned "salsa verde" earlier...just happens to be one of my most favourite things. So of course, tomatillo seeds have been purchased. Right now, onions and various braccias are sprouting happily under my grow lights. I foresee the purchase of another growlight apparatus soon...I knew that day would come. There was a reason I bailed on the Frugal March thread. ;)

tomatoprincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
Hello everyone! New to this forum. I've been gardening for 5 years started as a stress relief after I read Baker Creeks book. 

This year I'm doing a lot of flowers, zinnia, sunflower, poppy, dahlia.
Veggie my goal is to use only the seeds I have and maybe buy 1-2 tomato plant as I'm in a new house and travelling a lot. There is going to be lettuce, chard, peas, watermelon hopefully and lots of basil.

My fiancé set up his shop light for me as a grow light. I know it's not the ideal spectrum but it seems like it might work given what I've read on the internet.

I'm in zone 4-5 btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
I killed most of my windowsill seedlings last weekend by failing to vent the enclosure on a very sunny day.  Will have to start again.

Still no luck with the hot pepper seeds, I may have to just buy starts.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:02 AM »
Tomato plants transplanted in mid-late February.  Four plants in two Earthtainers, and two plants in pots with 5-1-1 mix.  I wish they got a bit more sun, but so far they seem to be doing well.  The cherries are fruiting quickly, the larger ones need to hurry up before the Texas heat hits us.

I've also got some herbs, but no other veggies.  This is my first year in a house with a yard, so I'm starting off small.  Our local nursery does small veggies/herbs for $1/pot, so I didn't care too much about starting the tomatoes from seed this year.  Next year I may try some more obscure varieties and need to do seeds.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:20:45 AM by ooeei »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2017, 06:19:38 AM »
Oh lovey ooeei.

Still too cold here on average to put tomatoes out. But my starts are getting huge.

No germination of lettuce or peas I planted earlier. I guess I'll reseed the lettuce. Not sure about peas... it may have been too early...

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »
Oh lovey ooeei.

Still too cold here on average to put tomatoes out. But my starts are getting huge.

No germination of lettuce or peas I planted earlier. I guess I'll reseed the lettuce. Not sure about peas... it may have been too early...

Yeah we have the opposite problem here, in a month or so it's going to be too hot for the blossoms to fertilize, so you've got to get started early.  This year is somewhat of an experiment to see how everything turns out, I'll be dialing it in next year.  Until now I've just done balcony planting with 4-5 hours of sun a day, which is not nearly enough for tomatoes.   

One plus to containers is being able to move them indoors if you want to get a little risky with your start date.  Granted, these Earthtainers are HEAVY when full.  Next year I'll probably start a bit earlier even, this year I had to build the containers and was a bit lazy about it.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
If you lke basil, I can't recommend the "Italian Cameo" variety (seeds available from Renee's Gardens) enough for containers. Thick bunches of leaves and hardly any stem. Need little space. I saved the seeds from a few years ago, and they have sprouted nicely this year... will see if this variety breeds true.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
Did you guys know Aldi sells raised beds? I bought one for the little scrap of yard that I'm allowed to use at my new apartment. It will contain tomaroes.

There is still some space left over outside the bed, and I'm trying to figure out what to put there. No greens, as the neighborhood has a serious bunny problem and I don't want to put up fencing; my community garden bed is fenced so I will put the greens there.

I'm probably going to have more peppers than I can fit in the community garden, so maybe I'll put some of those in the yard. And eventually some basil. I also am seriously jonesing for some berry bushes, but I'm told that raspberries will become invasive, and since I'm renting that seems unwise. Maybe blueberries?

I want to get something in there growing NOW but it won't be warm enough for tomatoes, basil,  and peppers for at least another month, month and a half. Hmmm. Carrots? Onions? Herbs? I have a dill plant I started from seed that can probably go in the ground soon. Do bunnies eat dill?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!